返回首页

Climate.Change.The.Facts.2019- 气候变化事实真相

We've had some hot days this summer but nothing like what we're going to get into, starting tomorrow. 今年夏天有些炎热 但从明天开始 气温将更加炎热
Today, the mercury hit a scorching 35 degrees Celsius . 今天的气温高达三十五摄氏度
mercury:n.[化]汞,水银;[天]水星;温度表;精神,元气; scorching:adj.灼热的; v.把…烧焦; Celsius:adj.摄氏的;n.摄氏度;
Temperatures are set to rise even further this week and could even break the all-time record. 本周气温将进一步上升 甚至可能突破历史最高温度
all-time:adj.空前的;全部时间的;历来的;
Right now, we are facing our greatest threat in thousands of years. 如今 我们正面临几千年来最大的威胁
Climate change. 气候变化
For a long time, climate change was something that scientists were predicting that would happen in the future. 很久以来 科学家们预测 气候变化会在未来发生
predicting:v.预言;预告;预报;(predict的现在分词)
But that's no longer the case. 但现状却不再如此
What we're doing right now is we're so rapidly changing the climate, for the first time in the world's history, people can see the impact of climate change. 我们正迅速改变着现在的气候 全球有史以来第一次 人们可以看到气候变化带来的影响
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
Greater storms, greater floods, greater heat waves, extreme sea level rises. 更大的风暴 更烈的洪水 更强的热浪 海水潮位的极端上涨
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物; sea level:海平面;
All of this is happening far faster than many of us thought possible. 这一切发生的速度之快 远超我们的想象
Scientists across the globe are in no doubt that at the current rate of warming, we risk a devastating future. 全球科学家们坚信 以目前的升温速度 我们的未来在劫难逃
devastating:adj.毁灭性的; v.毁灭; (devastate的现在分词)
It's difficult to see how the population of the world will actually feed itself. 很难想象 全世界的人口 将来该如何养活自己
It's happening in your world. 这发生在你身边
It's happening in my world. 也发生在我身边
Time is very short. 时间不多了
There's still time but there isn't much time left. 还有一些时间 但非常紧迫
The science is now clear that urgent action is needed. 科学已经明确指出 我们需要采取紧急行动
urgent:adj.紧急的;急迫的;
We're at a tipping point . 我们正处于临界点上
tipping point:n.(个案积累终成大趋势的)引爆点;
We can change history. 我们可以改变历史
Right now! 就在现在
What happens now, and in these next few years, will profoundly affect the next few thousand years. 现在以及未来几年内采取的行动 将对未来千年产生深刻影响
profoundly:adv.深刻地;深深地;极度地;
What can be done to avert disaster and ensure the survival of our civilisations... 如何才能避免灾难降临 确保人类文明得以延续
avert:vt.避免,防止;转移; disaster:n.灾难,灾祸;不幸; ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全; survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物;
...and the natural world upon which we depend? 我们赖以生存的大自然得以保护
It's our future. 这是我们的未来
We can't just let it slip away from us. 我们不能让它就这样溜走
slip away:逃走;悄悄溜走;
Standing here in the English countryside, it may not seem obvious but we are facing a man-made disaster on a global scale . 立于英国乡村一隅 也许无法察觉 但我们正面临一场全球性的人为灾难
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; man-made:adj.人造的;人工的;合成的; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
In the 20 years since I first started talking about the impact of climate change on our world, conditions have changed far faster than I ever imagined. 自从二十年前我第一次开始讨论气候变化 对我们世界的影响以来 情况变化之快远超出我的想象
It may sound frightening , but the scientific evidence is that if we have not taken dramatic action within the next decade, we could face irreversible damage to the natural world and the collapse of our societies. 这听起来也许很可怕 但科学证据表明 如果我们在未来十年内不采取重大行动 自然界可能会遭遇不可逆转的伤害 人类社会也将分崩离析
frightening:adj.可怕的;骇人的;引起恐惧的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐(frighten的现在分词) scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的; irreversible:adj.不可逆的;不能取消的;不能翻转的; collapse:vi.倒塌;瓦解;暴跌;vt.使倒塌,使崩溃;使萎陷;折叠;n.倒塌;失败;衰竭;
We're running out of time, but there is still hope. 时间紧迫 但仍有希望
I believe that if we better understand the threat we face, the more likely it is that we can avoid such a catastrophic future. 我相信如果我们能更好地理解所面临的威胁 我们就更有可能 避免这样灾难性的未来
catastrophic:adj.灾难的;悲惨的;灾难性的,毁灭性的;
Our climate is changing because of one simple fact. 气候变化只由于一个简单的事实
Our world is getting hotter. 我们的世界越来越热
We have temperature records going back over 100 years. 我们有一百年来的温度变化记录
There are dips and troughs . 的确有过低谷期
dips:v.浸;(使)下降;把(汽车前灯的)远光调为近光;(dip的第三人称单数) troughs:海槽;
There are so many years that are not as warm as other years. 有几年并不像其他年份那么热