返回首页

CleoWade_2017W-_想改变世界吗?从够关心开始_

My best friend recently had a baby. 我最要好的朋友最近有了個孩子。
recently:adv.最近;新近;
And when I met him, 當我遇到他時,
I was in awe of witnessing this tiny, beautiful being enter into our lives. 我見證這個美麗的小傢伙 進入我們的生活而感到敬畏。
awe:vt.使敬畏;使畏怯;n.敬畏; witnessing:v.当场看到,目击;是发生…的地点;见证;(witness的现在分词) enter into:进入;讨论;成为…的一部分;研讨;分享;体谅;
I also had this realization that he wasn't just entering our lives, he was entering the world -- this crazy world that, especially now, feels so incredibly challenging. 我也認識到他不僅進入我們的生活, 他正在進入這個世界 —— 這個瘋狂的世界,特別是現在, 感受到如此難以置信的挑戰。
realization:n.实现;领悟; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
I spend a lot time in my work talking to people about who we are, who we must be and what our healing looks like. 我在工作上花費了很多時間 和人交流我們是誰, 我們必須成為誰 和我們的治療看起來像什麼。
healing:n.康复; adj.痊愈中的; v.(使)康复,复原; (heal的现在分词)
So the first time I held him, 所以當我第一次抱著他,
I had my pep talk ready. 我已經準備好勉勵的話。
pep talk:n.打气的话;激励人心的话;
You know, I wanted him to know that the way we find our strength is through our challenges. 我想讓他知道
I wanted him to know that we can all do something big when we start small. 我想讓他知道 我們都可以做一些大事 從小地方開始。
I wanted him to know that each of us is more resilient than we could ever imagine. 我想讓他知道我們每個人的韌性 比自我想像的還要多。
resilient:adj.弹回的,有弹力的;
So here I am holding little Thelonious. 所以在這裡我抱著小小的塞隆尼斯。
I look down at him, and it hits me: he's a baby. 我低頭看著他, 我突然醒悟: 他是一個嬰兒。
(Laughter) (笑聲)
He's not going to understand a single word I say to him. 他不會理解我對他說的任何字。
So instead, I thought it would probably be a better idea if I went home and wrote. 所以,我想如果我回家寫下來, 可能會是個較好的主意。
So, this is for grownups , but it's also for Thelonious, when he's old enough to read it: 所以,這是給成年人, 但也是為了塞隆尼斯, 當他年紀大到可以閱讀時:
grownups:n.成年人们;(grownup的复数)
The world will say to you, "Be a better person." 世界會對你說: 「請做一個更好的人」
Do not be afraid to say, "Yes." 不要害怕說「我會的」。
Start by being a better listener. 從做一個更好的傾聽者開始。
Start by being better at walking down the street. 首先在街上走一走。
See people. 遇見陌生人。
Say, "Hello." 説聲:「你好。」
Ask how they are doing and listen to what they say. 問他們過得可好,聽他們說什麼。
Start by being a better friend, a better parent, a better child to your parents; a better sibling , a better lover , a better partner. 開始做個更好的朋友、 更好的家長、父母的好孩子; 做個更好的兄弟姐妹、 更好的情人、更好的伴侶。
sibling:n.兄弟姊妹;民族成员; lover:n.爱好者;情侣;热爱者;
Start by being a better neighbor. 開始當個更好的鄰居。
Meet someone you do not know, and get to know them. 認識一個你不認識的人, 並了解他們。
The world will say to you, "What are you going to do?" 世界問你: 「你會怎樣做?」
Do not be afraid to say, "I know I can't do everything, but I can do something." 不要害怕回答: 「我知道我不能做所有事情, 但我可以做一點點。」
Walk into more rooms saying, "I'm here to help." 走進更多的房間說: 「我是來幫忙的。」
Become intimate with generosity . 變得親切慷慨。
intimate:n.知己; v.暗示; adj.亲密的; generosity:n.慷慨,大方;宽宏大量;
Give what you can give, and do what you can do. 給你能給的東西,做你能做的事情。
Give dollars, give cents, give your time, give your love, give your heart, give your spirit. 給美元,給美分,給你的時間, 給你的愛, 奉獻你的心,奉獻你的精神。
The world will say to you, "We need peace." 世界會對你說: 「我們需要平靜。」
Find your peace within, hold it sacred, bring it with you everywhere you go. 在內心找到你的平靜, 保持它神聖, 無論你走到哪裡都要帶著它。
Peace cannot be shared or created with others if we cannot first generate it within. 平靜,不能與他人分享或創造, 如果我們不先在內心獲得的話。
generate:v.产生;引起;
The world will say to you, "They are the enemy." 世界會對你說: 「他們是敵人。」
Love enough to know that just because someone disagrees with you, it does not make them your enemy. 愛得足够就會知道 只因為有人不同意你 不表示他們是你的敵人。
disagrees:v.不同意;有分歧;不符;不一致;(disagree的第三人称单数)
You may not win an argument, you may not change a mind, but if you choose to, you can always achieve the triumph of radical empathy -- an understanding of the heart. 你可能不會贏得爭論, 你可能不會改變主意, 但如果你願意, 你總是可以實現徹底共鳴的勝利, 對心的理解。
triumph:v.战胜;成功;打败;n.巨大成功;重大成就;伟大胜利;喜悦; radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的; empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着;
The world will say to you, "We need justice ." 世界會對你說: 「我們需要正義。」
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
Investigate . 調查。
Investigate:v.调查;研究;审查;
Find truth beyond the stories you are told. 探索你被告知的故事的真相。
Find truth beyond the way things seem. 發現外貌底下的真相。
Ask, "Why?" 問:「為什麼?」
Ask, "Is this fair?" 問:「這公平嗎?」
Ask, "How did we get here?" 問:「我們何以到此境地?」
Do this with compassion . 用同理心來做這件事。
compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
Do this with forgiveness . 用寬恕心來做這件事。
forgiveness:n.宽恕;原谅;宽宏大量
Learn to forgive others. 學會原諒別人。
Start by truly learning how to forgive yourself. 從學習真正原諒自己開始。
We are all more than our mistakes. 我們不僅僅是我們的錯誤。
We are all more than who we were yesterday. 我們不僅僅是昨天的我們。
We are all deserving of our dignity . 我們都應該得到尊嚴。
deserving:adj.值得的;应得的;有功的;v.值得;应得到(deserve的现在分词); dignity:n.尊严;高贵;
See yourself in others. 在別人眼裏看見你自己。
Recognize that your justice is my justice, and mine is yours. 認識到你的正義是我的正義, 而我的是你的。
Recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
There can be no liberation for one of us if the other is not free. 如果他人不自由, 我們又如何能獲得自由。
liberation:n.释放,解放;
(Applause) (掌聲)
The world will say to you, "I am violent ." 世界會對你說: 「我很暴力。」
violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的;
Respond by saying, "I am not. 回應說: 「我不暴力。
Respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和;
Not with my words and not with my actions." 不用言辭,也不用行為暴力。」
The world will say to you, "We need to heal the planet." 世界會對你說: 「我們需要治癒這個星球。」
Start by saying, "No, thank you. I don't need a plastic bag." 開始說:「不,謝謝。 我不需要塑料袋。」
Recycle , reuse. 回收,利用。
Recycle:v.回收利用;再利用;
Start by picking up one piece of trash on your block. 從你的街區撿起一塊垃圾開始。
trash:n.垃圾;废物;v.丢弃;修剪树枝;
The world will say to you, "There are too many problems." 世界會對你說: 「我們的問題太多了。」
Do not be afraid to be a part of the solutions. 不要害怕成為解決方案的一部分。
Start by discussing the issues . 從討論問題開始。
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
We cannot overcome what we ignore . 我們無法克服我們忽視的東西。
overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜; ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬;
The more we talk about things, the more we see that the issues are connected because we are connected. 我們越是談論, 看到的問題就越多, 因為我們聯繫著。
The world will say to you, "We need to end racism ." 世界會對你說: 「我們需要結束種族主義。」
racism:n.种族主义,种族歧视;人种偏见;
Start by healing it in your own family. 從治癒自己的家庭開始。
The world will say to you, "How do we speak to bias and bigotry ?" 世界會對你說: 「我們怎麼說偏見和偏執?」
bias:adv.使有偏见;n.偏见;偏心;偏爱;v.使有偏见;使偏向;adj.斜的;[电]偏动的; bigotry:n.偏执;顽固;盲从;
Start by having the first conversation at your own kitchen table. 首先在自己的餐桌上 進行第一次談話。
The world will say to you, "There is so much hate." 世界會對你說: 「有太多的仇恨。」
Devote yourself to love. 獻身於愛。
Devote:v.贡献;把…专用于;听任;
Love yourself so much that you can love others without barriers and without judgment . 愛自己,以至於可以愛別人, 沒有障礙,不論斷。
barriers:n.障碍;栅栏;篱笆墙(barrier的复数形式); judgment:n.判断;裁判;判决书;辨别力;
When the world asks us big questions that require big answers, we have two options . 當世界向我們提出 需要大答案的重大問題時, 我們有兩個選擇。
options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
One: to feel so overwhelmed or unqualified , we do nothing. 一:感到不知所措、不能勝任, 以致什麼都不做。
overwhelmed:v.受打击,压倒;淹没;(overwhelm的过去分词和过去式) unqualified:adj.不合格的;无资格的;不胜任的;不受限制的;无条件的;绝对的;
Two: to start with one small act and qualify ourselves. 二:從一個小小的行為開始 並肯定自己。
qualify:vt.限制;使具有资格;证明…合格;vi.取得资格,有资格;
I am the director of national security, and so are you. 我是國家安全局局長, 你也是。
Maybe no one appointed us and there were no senate confirmations , but we can secure a nation. 也許沒有人任命我們, 也沒有參議院的確認, 但我們可以確保國家的安全。
appointed:adj.(时间)指定的,约定的; v.任命; (appoint的过去分词和过去式) senate:n.参议院,上院;(古罗马的)元老院; confirmations:n.确认;证实;证明;批准;
When you help just one person to be more secure, a nation is more secure. 當你幫助一個人更安全時, 國家就更為安全。
With just one outstretched hand that says, "Are you OK? 只用伸出一隻手說:「你還好嗎?
outstretched:adj.伸展的; v.拉(伸)长; (outstretch的过去式和过去分词)
I am here for you," 為了你,我在這裡。」
we can transform insecurity into security. 我們可以將不安全感轉化為安全感。
transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式; insecurity:n.不安全;不牢靠;无把握;心神不定;
We find ourselves saying to the world, "What should I do?" "What should we do?" 我們發現自己對世界說: 「我該怎麼辦?」「我們該做什麼?」
The better question might be: "How am I showing up?" 更好的問題可能是: 「我該怎麼現身?」
I ask the world for peace, but do I show up with peace when I see my family and friends? 我向世界尋求和平, 但是當我看到家人和朋友時, 我是否是心平氣和呢?
I ask the world to end hatred , but do I show up with love not only for those I know, but those I don't know? 我要求世界結束仇恨, 但我是否表現出愛, 不僅僅對我認識的人, 還有那些我不認識的人?
hatred:n.仇恨;憎恨;厌恶;
Do I show up with love for those whose ideas conflict with my own? 我是否愛那些與我的想法衝突的人?
conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
I ask the world to end suffering, but do I show up for those who are suffering on my street corner? 我要求世界結束痛苦, 但我在街角的人受苦時現身了嗎?
We say to the world, "Please change; we need change." 我們對世界說: 「請改變,我們需要改變。」
But how do we show up to change our own lives? 但我們如何現身改變自己的生活呢?
How do we show up to change the lives of the people in our communities ? 我們如何現身改變社區人的生活呢?
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
James Baldwin said, "Everything now, we must assume is in our own hands; we have no right to assume otherwise." 詹姆斯·鮑德溫說:「我們必須假設 現在的一切掌握在我們自己的手中; 我們無權有另外的假設。」
assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现;
This has always been true. 這一直是真實的。
No one nominated Harriet Tubman to her purpose, to her mission , to her courage. 沒有人為哈麗特·塔布曼設定目標, 賦予她使命和勇氣。
nominated:v.提名;推荐;任命;指派;挑选;(nominate的过去式和过去分词) mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
She did not say, "I'm not a congressman or the president of the United States, so how could I possibly participate in the fight to abolish a system as big as slavery ?" 她沒有說:「我不是國會議員 或者美國總統」, 那我怎麼可能參與廢除的征戰, 去廢除像奴隸制這麼大的制度呢?
congressman:n.国会议员;众议院议员; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) participate:v.参加;参与; abolish:vt.废除,废止;取消,革除; slavery:n.奴隶制;奴隶身份;蓄奴;adj.流口水的;被口水弄脏的;
She instead spent 10 years making 19 trips, freeing 300 people, one group of people at a time. 她在十年間出行十九次, 解放 300 人, 一次一群人。
Think about the children of those 300 people, the grandchildren, the great-grandchildren and beyond. 想想這 300 人的孩子、 孫子孫女、曾孫子孫女等等。
great-grandchildren:n.曾孙女,曾孙;
Our righteous acts create immeasurable ripples in the endless river of justice. 我們的正義行為掀起不可估量的波瀾 在無盡的正義之河中。
righteous:adj.正义的;正直的;公正的; immeasurable:adj.无限的;[数]不可计量的;不能测量的; ripples:n.涟漪;波纹(ripple的复数);v.呈波状(ripple的单三形式); endless:adj.无止境的;连续的;环状的;漫无目的的;
Whether it's Hurricane Katrina, Harvey, Irma or Maria , people did not say, "There is so much damage. What should I do?" 無論是卡崔娜、哈維、 艾瑪,或瑪麗亞颶風,
Hurricane:n.飓风,暴风; Maria:n.母驴;母马;[天文学]海(指月亮,火星表面的阴暗部分);
They got to work on what they could do. 他們盡其所能。
Those with boats got in their boats and started loading in every woman, man and child they came across. 有船的人提供船, 開始載運他們遇到的 每個孩子、女人和男人。
Near and far, people gave their dollars, they gave their cents, they gave their hearts, they gave their spirit. 無論遠近,人們捐錢。 捐出他們的美分, 給出他們的心, 給了他們的精神。
We spend so much time thinking we don't have the power to change the world. 我們花了這麼多時間 以為我們沒有改變世界的力量。
We forget that the power to change someone's life is always in our hands. 我們忘記改變別人生活的力量 總是在我們手中。
Change-making does not belong to one group of people; it belongs to all of us. 變革並不屬於一個群體, 它屬於我們所有人。
You don't have to wait on anyone to tell you that you are in this. 不必等待任何人告訴你 你就在其中,
Begin. 開始吧。
Start by doing what you can with what you've got, where you are and in your own way. 首先做你能做到的事, 從你所在之處開始, 用你自己的方式。
We don't have to be heroes, wear a uniform , call ourselves activists or get elected to participate. 我們不必是英雄, 不必穿制服, 不必自稱是積極分子 或者等當選才參與。
uniform:adj.统一的;一致的;相同的;始终如一的;n.制服;v.使穿制服;使成一样;
We just have to be brave enough to care. 我們只須夠在乎。
Now, around the time Thelonious was born, 在塞隆尼斯出生的時候,
I went to the birthday party of a man named Gene Moretti. 我去參加金?莫雷蒂的生日派對,
It was his 100th birthday, which means he lived in the United States through the Depression , World War II, the struggle for workers' rights, the achievement of a woman's right to vote, the Civil Rights Movement , a man on the moon, the Vietnam War and the election of the first black president. 是他的 100 歲生日, 這意味著他經歷過大蕭條、 第二次世界大戰、 爭取工人權利的鬥爭、 實現婦女的選舉權、 民權運動、 登陸月球、越戰, 並選出第一位黑人總統。
Depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁; Civil Rights Movement:n.(美国)民权运动(20世纪50年代和60年代非裔美国人争取平等权利的运动);
I sat with him, and I said, "Gene, you have lived in America for 100 years. 我和他坐在一起,我說: 「金,你已經在美國生活了 100 年。
Do you have any advice during these current times?" 現在你有什麼建議想要告訴我們嗎?」
He smiled and said to me simply, "Yes. 他笑了笑,簡單地對我說:「有啊。
Be good to as many people as possible." 盡可能善待更多的人。」
And as he danced with my mother, who is, by the way , half his age, in a room full of generations of his family and hundreds of people, many of whom traveled thousands of miles to be there to celebrate him, 當他和我母親跳舞的時候, 順便說一下,她的年齡是他的一半, 在一個充滿了幾代人的家庭 和數百人的房間裡, 當中許多人不遠千里而來為他慶生,
by the way:顺便说一下;
I realized that he had not just given me advice, he had given me the first step that every single one of us is capable of making if we want to create a real, wholehearted impact on the world around us, right now. 我意識到他不只是給了我建議, 他給了我第一步; 我們每一個人都有能力, 如果我們想創造真正的、 全心全意的影響, 想要影響我們周圍的世界 就現在開始。
capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的; wholehearted:adj.一心一意的; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
'"Be good to as many people as possible." 「盡可能善待更多的人。」
Thank you. 謝謝。
(Applause) (掌聲)