|
|
ClemantineWamariya_2017W-_战争和战争之后_
|
Words matter. |
字词是很重要的。 |
They can heal and they can kill ... |
它们能治愈, 它们也能杀戮…… |
heal:v.复原;治疗(病人);使又愉快起来;(使)结束
|
yet, they have a limit. |
然而,它们也有极限。 |
When I was in eighth grade, my teacher gave me a vocabulary sheet with the word " genocide ." |
我读八年级的时候, 我的老师给我一张字彙表, 上面有「种族灭绝」这个词。 |
sheet:n.薄板;床单;纸张;报纸;v.覆盖;展开;给…铺床单;铺开;adj.片状的; genocide:n.种族灭绝;灭绝整个种族的大屠杀;
|
I hated it. |
我很恨它。 |
The word genocide is clinical ... |
种族灭绝这个词是无情的…… |
clinical:adj.临床的;诊所的;
|
overgeneral ... |
过度概推的…… |
bloodless ... |
残酷冷血的…… |
bloodless:adj.不流血的;无血色的;没有精神的;
|
dehumanizing . |
毫无人性化可言的。 |
dehumanizing:vt.使成兽性;使失掉人性;
|
No word can describe what this does to a nation. |
没有字词 能够描述 它对一个国家做了什么。 |
describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;
|
You need to know, in this kind of war, husbands kills wives, wives kill husbands, neighbors and friends kill each other. |
你们要知道, 在这种战争中, 丈夫会杀死妻子, 妻子会杀死丈夫, 邻居和朋友杀害彼此。 |
Someone in power says, "Those over there ... |
某个 有权的人 说: 「那边的那些人…… |
they don't belong. |
他们不属于这里。 |
They're not human." |
他们不是人。」 |
And people believe it. |
而大家就相信了。 |
I don't want words to describe this kind of behavior. |
我不想要用任何词 来描述这种行为。 |
I want words to stop it. |
我想要用字词来阻止它的发生。 |
But where are the words to stop this? |
但能用来阻止它的语言在哪里? |
And how do we find the words? |
我们要如何找到那些字词? |
But I believe, truly, we have to keep trying. |
但我真心相信, 我们得要持续尝试。 |
I was born in Kigali, Rwanda. |
我出生于卢安达的基加利。 |
I felt loved by my entire family and my neighbors. |
我感受到我全家人的爱, 及我邻居对我的爱。 |
I was constantly being teased by everybody, especially my two older siblings . |
我常常被每个人戏弄, 特别是两位比我年长的手足。 |
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地; teased:v.取笑;戏弄;寻开心;招惹;挑逗;(tease的过去分词和过去式) especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; siblings:n.兄;弟;姐;妹;(sibling的复数)
|
When I lost my front tooth, my brother looked at me and said, "Oh, it has happened to you, too? |
当我的门牙掉下来时, 我哥哥看着我,说: 「喔,你也遇到这状况了? |
It will never grow back." |
它永远不会长回来。」 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I enjoyed playing everywhere, especially my mother's garden and my neighbor's. |
我很享受到处玩耍, 特别是去我妈妈的花园 和邻居的花园里玩。 |
I loved my kindergarten . |
我很爱我的幼稚园。 |
kindergarten:n.幼儿园;
|
We sang songs, we played everywhere and ate lunch. |
我们会唱歌, 我们到处玩耍, 吃午餐。 |
I had a childhood that I would wish for anyone. |
我拥有的童年, 是我希望大家都能拥有的。 |
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
|
But when I was six, the adults in my family began to speak in whispers and shushed me any time that I asked a question. |
但当我六岁时, 我家中的成人们开始窃窃私语, 当我问问题时就叫我安静。 |
shushed:n.嘘声;vt.使安静;vi.发嘘声;int.嘘(示意安静下来);
|
One night, my mom and dad came. |
有天晚上, 我妈妈和爸爸来了。 |
They had this strange look when they woke us. |
他们叫醒我们时,表情很奇怪。 |
They sent my older sister Claire and I to our grandparent's, hoping whatever was happening would blow away . |
他们把我姐姐克莱儿和我 送到我们的祖父母家, 希望不论发生什么事都会烟消云散。 |
blow away:吹走;驱散;
|
Soon we had to escape from there, too. |
很快我们也得逃离那里。 |
We hid, we crawled , we sometimes ran. |
我们躲藏, 我们匍匐, 有时我们快跑。 |
crawled:v.爬;爬行;(昆虫)爬行;缓慢行进(crawl的过去分词和过去式)
|
Sometimes I heard laughter and then screaming and crying and then noise that I had never heard. |
有时,我听见笑声, 接着是尖叫声和哭声, 接着是我从来没有听过的噪音。 |
You see, |
是这样的, |
I did not know what those noises were. |
我当时不知道 那些噪音是什么。 |
They were neither human -- and also at the same time , they were human. |
它们不是人类的声音── 但同时,它们又是人类的声音。 |
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
|
I saw people who were not breathing. |
我看到没有呼吸的人, |
I thought they were asleep. |
我以为他们在沉睡。 |
I still didn't understand what death was, or killing in itself. |
我当时并不了解死亡是什么, 或者杀戮是什么。 |
When we would stop to rest for a little bit or search for food, |
当我们停下来休息一下, 或是寻找食物时, |
I would close my eyes, hoping when I opened them, |
我会闭上我的眼睛, 希望当我睁开眼睛时, |
I would be awake. |
我会醒来。 |
I had no idea which direction was home. |
我不知道哪个方向才是家。 |
Days were for hiding and night for walking. |
白天要躲藏, 晚上才能行走。 |
You go from a person who's away from home to a person with no home. |
你会从一个远离家的人, 变成一个没有家的人。 |
The place that is supposed to want you has pushed you out, and no one takes you in. |
应该要接纳你的那个地方, 把你赶出来, 没有人肯收留你。 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
|
You are unwanted by anyone. |
没有人 想要你。 |
unwanted:adj.不需要的;有害的;讨厌的;空闲的;
|
You are a refugee . |
你是个难民。 |
refugee:n.难民;避难者;逃亡者;v.避难;adj.避难的;
|
From age six to 12, |
从六岁到十二岁, |
I lived in seven different countries, moving from one refugee camp to another, hoping we would be wanted. |
我住过七个不同的国家, 从一个难民营搬到另一个, 希望会有人要我们。 |
My older sister Claire, she became a young mother ... |
我姐姐克莱儿, 她成了年轻的母亲…… |
and a master at getting things done. |
以及是个能把各种事物都搞定的大师。 |
When I was 12, |
我十二岁时, |
I came to America with Claire and her family on refugee status . |
我和克莱儿及她的家人 以难民的身份来到美国。 |
status:n.地位;状态;情形;重要身份;
|
And that's only the beginning, because even though I was 12 years old, sometimes I felt like three years old and sometimes 50 years old. |
那只是开端, 因为,即使我当时十二岁, 有时我感觉自己才三岁, 有时却是五十岁。 |
My past receded , grew jumbled , distorted . |
我的过去变淡了, 变混乱了, 变扭曲了。 |
receded:vi.后退;减弱;vt.归还; jumbled:adj.乱七八糟的;vt.搞乱(jumble的过去分词); distorted:adj.歪曲的;受到曲解的;v.扭曲(distort的过去式和过去分词);
|
Everything was too much and nothing. |
一切都难以承受, 却又微不足道。 |
Time seemed like pages torn out of a book and scattered everywhere. |
时间就像是从书上撕下来的页面, 散在各处。 |
scattered:adj.零散的; v.撒; (scatter的过去分词和过去式)
|
This still happens to me standing right here. |
就连我现在站在这里, 都还有这种感觉。 |
After I got to America, |
在我到了美国之后, |
Claire and I did not talk about our past. |
克莱儿和我避而不谈我们的过去。 |
In 2006, after 12 years being separated away from my family, and then seven years knowing that they were dead and them thinking that we were dead, we reunited ... |
2006 年, 我与我的家人 分离了十二年, 知道他们已经死亡了七年, 他们也以为我死了, 终于,我们重聚了…… |
reunited:v.重聚;使再结合(reunite的过去式和过去分词);
|
in the most dramatic , American way possible. |
以最戏剧性的美式方法重聚了。 |
dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的;
|
Live, on television -- |
电视 实况转播── |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
on "The Oprah Show." |
在《欧普拉秀》上。 |
Oprah:n.奥普拉(美国电视节目主持人);
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
I told you, I told you. |
我说过了,我说过了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But after the show, as I spent time with my mom and dad and my little sister and my two new siblings that I never met, |
但在节目之后, 当我花时间和我爸妈、 妹妹,还有 两个我没见过的手足相处, |
I felt anger. |
我感到愤怒。 |
I felt every deep pain in me. |
我感到内在所有深刻的痛苦。 |
And I know that there is absolutely nothing, nothing, that could restore the time we lost with each other and the relationship we could've had. |
我知道绝对没有可能, 没有可能, 可以弥补我们本来 应该给彼此的时间, 以及本来可以拥有的关系。 |
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; restore:v.恢复;修复;恢复(某种情况或感受);使复原;
|
Soon, my parents moved to the United States, but like Claire, they don't talk about our past. |
没多久,我父母搬到美国, 但就像克莱儿, 他们也不谈我们的过去。 |
They live in never-ending present. |
他们活在永无止境的现在。 |
never-ending:adj.不停的;无限的;
|
Not asking too many questions, not allowing themselves to feel -- moving in small steps. |
不问太多问题, 不允许他们自己去感受── 以小步伐移动。 |
None of us, of course, can make sense of what happened to us. |
当然,我们都无法将 发生在我们身上的事真正化解。 |
make sense of:搞清…的意思;
|
Though my family is alive -- yes, we were broken, and yes, we are numb and we were silenced by our own experience. |
虽然我的家人还活着── 是的,我们是破碎的, 是的,我们是麻木的, 而且我们因为所经历的事而沈默。 |
It's not just my family. |
不只有我的家人如此。 |
Rwanda is not the only country where people have turned on each other and murdered each other. |
并不只有在卢安达 大家才会攻击彼此, 谋杀彼此。 |
The entire human race , in many ways, is like my family. |
所有人类, 在许多层面上, 就和我的家人一样。 |
human race:n.人类;
|
Not dead; yes, broken, numb and silenced by the violence of the world that has taken over. |
没有死; 是的,因为世界的暴力 而破碎、麻木,及沉默。 那暴力占据了一切。 |
violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
|
You see, the chaos of the violence continues inside in the words we use and the stories we create every single day. |
你们知道吗, 暴力的混乱持续着, 就在我们使用的字词中, 以及我们每天创造的故事中。 |
chaos:n.混沌,混乱;
|
But also on the labels that we impose on ourselves and each other. |
但也在我们贴在彼此身上的 标签裏。 |
labels:n.标签;分类(label的复数形式);v.贴标签于;把…称为(label的三单形式); impose:v.推行;迫使;强制实行;把…强加于;
|
Once we call someone "other," |
一旦我们称某人是「其他人」、 |
'"less than," |
「处于劣势」、 |
'"one of them" |
「他们的一员」, |
or "better than," |
或「处于优势」, |
believe me ... |
相信我…… |
under the right condition, it's a short path to more destruction . |
在合适的条件下, 它就是通往更多毁灭的捷径。 |
destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
|
More chaos and more noise that we will not understand. |
更多的混乱, 和更多的喧嚣 就这样无法理解地发生了。 |
Words will never be enough to quantify and qualify the many magnitudes of human-caused destruction. |
字词永远不足以 量化、质化许多程度重大 人类所造成的毁灭。 |
quantify:vt.量化;为…定量;确定数量;vi.量化;定量; qualify:vt.限制;使具有资格;证明…合格;vi.取得资格,有资格; magnitudes:n.大小;量级;[地震]震级;重要;光度;
|
In order for us to stop the violence that goes on in the world, |
为了让我们能够 阻止世界上不断发生的暴力, |
I hope -- at least I beg you -- to pause. |
我希望── 至少我恳求各位── 暂停下来。 |
Let's ask ourselves: |
让我们问问自己: |
Who are we without words? |
没有了字词,我们是谁? |
Who are we without labels? |
没有了标签,我们是谁? |
Who are we in our breath? |
在我们呼吸裏,我们是谁? |
Who are we in our heartbeat ? |
在我们心跳时,我们又是谁? |
heartbeat:n.心跳;情感;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |