|
|
ChrystinaRussell_2020-_难民获得高等教育和就业的途径_-
|
Saida Aden Said: I still have this horrific image in my mind. |
赛达·赛义德 (Saida Said): 我脑海中仍有这可怕的画面。 |
I could see people falling down, gunshots . |
我看到人们倒下, 到处是枪声。 |
I was so terrified. |
我非常害怕。 |
Really, I was crying a lot. |
我哭个不停。 |
Someone who knew my father and my mom grabbed my hand, and he said, "Let's go! Let's go! Let's go!" |
认识我父母的一个人 抓住我的手说, “快跑,快跑,快跑!”[00:24] |
Saida:n.赛达(黎巴嫩西南部港市); horrific:adj.可怕的;令人毛骨悚然的; gunshots:n.射击;射程;炮击;adj.射击的;枪炮射击所致的; grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I was like, "Where's my mom? My mom? My mom?" |
我问,“我妈妈在哪? 我妈妈呢?” |
Noria Dambrine Dusabireme: During nights we would hear shots, we would hear guns. |
诺里亚·杜萨比梅尔 (Noria Dusabireme): 晚上我们会听到射击声, 听到枪声。 |
Elections were supposed to happen. |
本来应该进行选举的。 |
We had young people going in the street, they were having strikes. |
年轻人都走上街头, 他们在罢工。 |
And most of the young people died. |
大部分年轻人都死了。 |
SAS: We boarded a vehicle . |
赛达·赛义德: 我们上了一辆车。 |
It was overloaded . |
它严重超载了。[00:49] |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物; overloaded:adj.超载的;超负荷的;超重的;v.使超载;使负担过重(overload的过去分词);
|
People were running for their lives. |
人们都在逃命。 |
That is how I fled from Somalia. |
我就是这样逃离索马里的。 |
My mom missed me. |
我妈妈非常想念我。 |
Nobody told her where I went. |
没人告诉她我去了哪里。 |
NDD: The fact that we did not go to school, we couldn't go to the market, we were just stuck home made me realize that if I got an option to go for something better, |
诺里亚·杜萨比梅尔: 事实是我们不能上学, 我们不能去市场, 我们被困在了家里, 这让我意识到如果 有更好的选择, |
fled:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的过去分词和过去式) option:n.选择;可选择的东西;
|
I could just go for it and have a better future. |
我会立马抓住机会, 争取更好的未来。 |
(Music) |
(音乐) |
Ignazio Matteini: Globally, displaced people in the world have been increasing. |
伊格纳西奥·马特尼 (Ignazio Matteini): 全球流离失所的人数 一直在增加。 |
Now there are almost 60 million people displaced in the world. |
现在世界上有将近 6 千万的人流离失所。 |
just go for it:放手去做吧; displaced:v.取代;替代;置换;迫使(某人)离开家园;转移;(displace的过去式和过去分词)
|
And unfortunately , it doesn't stop. |
不幸的是,这种趋势仍在蔓延。 |
Chrystina Russell: I think the humanitarian community is starting to realize from research and reality that we're talking about a much more permanent problem. |
克里斯蒂娜·罗素 (Chrystina Russell): 我觉得人道主义组织 从研究和现实中开始意识到, 我们讨论的是 一个相当持久的问题。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地; humanitarian:adj.人道主义的;博爱的;基督凡人论的;n.人道主义者;基督凡人论者; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; permanent:adj.永久的,永恒的;n.烫发;
|
Baylie Damtie Yeshita: These students, they need a tertiary education, a degree that they can use. |
贝利·耶希塔 (Baylie Yeshita): 这些学生需要高等教育, 一个实用的学位。 |
If the students are living now in Rwanda, if they get relocated , still they can continue their study. |
如果一个学生现在 生活在卢旺达, 在搬迁之后仍然可以继续学习。 |
Still, their degree is useful, wherever they are. |
无论在哪儿,他们的学位仍然有效。 |
CR: Our audacious project was to really test |
克里斯蒂娜·罗素: 我的大胆计划是要检验 |
tertiary:n.第三纪;第三修道会会员;第三级教士;adj.第三的;第三位的;三代的; relocated:v.(使)搬迁,迁移;(relocate的过去分词和过去式) audacious:adj.无畏的;鲁莽的;
|
Southern New Hampshire University's Global Education Movement's ability to scale , to bring bachelor 's degrees and pathways to employment to refugees and those who would otherwise not have access to higher education . |
南新罕布什尔大学的 全球教育运动 (Global Education Movement) 规模化的能力, 把学士学位和就业途径 带给无法接受 高等教育的难民。 |
SAS: It was almost impossible, as a refugee person, to further my education and to make my career . |
赛达·赛义德: 作为一个难民, 继续我的教育和事业 几乎是不可能的。 |
My name is Saida Aden Said, and I am from Somalia. |
我名叫赛达·亚丁·赛义德, 我来自索马里。 |
Hampshire:n.汉普郡(英国南部之一郡); Global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; bachelor:n.学士;单身汉;(尚未交配的)小雄兽; pathways:n.小路;小径(pathway的复数); employment:n.使用;职业;雇用; refugees:n.避难者;逃亡者;难民;(refugee的复数) higher education:高等教育(指含大学以上的教育); career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
|
I was nine years old when I came to Kakuma, and I started going to school at 17. |
我 9 岁时来到 卡库马难民营 (Kakuma), 17 岁时开始上学。 |
Now I am doing my bachelor degree with SNHU. |
如今我在 南新罕布什尔大学 攻读学士学位。 |
NDD: My name is Noria Dambrine Dusabireme. |
诺里亚·杜萨比梅尔: 我名叫诺里亚·丹布琳·杜萨比梅尔。 |
I'm doing my bachelor of arts in communications with a concentration in business. |
我在攻读传播艺术学士学位, 主修商科。 |
CR: We are serving students across five different countries: |
克里斯蒂娜·罗素:我们服务 来自五个不同国家的学生—— |
Lebanon , Kenya, Malawi , Rwanda and South Africa. |
黎巴嫩,肯尼亚,马拉维, 卢旺达和南非。 |
Really proud to have 800 AA grads to over 400 bachelor's graduates and nearly 1,000 students enrolled right now. |
我们很自豪能拥有 800 名文科副学士 和 400 多名本科毕业生, 以及目前将近 1000 位在读学生。 |
concentration:n.浓度;含量;集中;专心; Lebanon:n.黎巴嫩(西南亚国家,位于地中海东岸); Malawi:n.马拉维(非洲国家); grads:n.梯度;毕业生(grad的复数);分度;百分度(grad的复数); enrolled:v.(使)加入;注册;登记;(enroll的过去分词和过去式)
|
So, the magic of this is that we're addressing refugee lives as they exist. |
这个运动的奥秘在于, 我们会解决难民生活中的问题。 |
There are no classes. |
没有课堂, |
There are no lectures. |
没有讲座, |
There are no due dates. |
没有截止日期, |
There are no final exams. |
也没有期末考试。 |
This degree is competency-based and not time-bound . |
这个学位是基于能力的, 没有时间限制。 |
You choose when you start your project. |
你可以自己选选择什么时候 开始你的项目, |
You choose how you're going to approach it. |
以及如何实现它。 |
NDD: When you open the platform , that's where you can see the goals. |
诺里亚·杜萨比梅尔: 打开平台,你可以看到目标。 |
time-bound:adj.有时限的; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理; platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处;
|
Under each goal, we can find projects. |
在每个目标下面, 你可以看到项目。 |
When you open a project, you get the competencies that you have to master, directions and overview of the project. |
当你打开一个项目, 你可以看到 你需要掌握的能力, 项目指南 和介绍。 |
CR: The secret sauce of SNHU is combining that competency-based online learning with the in-person learning that we do with partners to provide all the wraparound supports. |
克里斯蒂娜·罗素: 南新罕布什尔大学的诀窍是 结合基于能力的在线教育 和与合作伙伴的现场学习, 去提供全方位的支持。 |
competencies:n.能力(competency的复数);胜任特征;职业能力素质; overview:n.[图情]综述;概观; sauce:n.酱;调味汁;讨厌的话(或举动);v.给…加滋味;(俚)对…说冒昧话; in-person:亲自;外貌上; wraparound:adj.概括的;包着的;呈弧形的;全景的;n.裹身式衣裤;
|
That includes academic coaching. |
其中包括学术训练, |
It means psychosocial support, medical support, and it's also that back-end employment support that's really resulting in the 95 percent graduation, the 88 percent employment. |
社会心理支持, 医疗支持, 还有后端的就业支持, 而这切实地促成了 95% 的毕业率, 88% 的就业率。 |
academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者; psychosocial:adj.社会心理的;心理社会学的; back-end:n.后端;adj.后期的;
|
NDD: I'm a social media management intern . |
诺里亚·杜萨比梅尔: 我是社交媒体管理实习生。 |
It's related to the communications degree I'm doing. |
它和我的传播艺术专业相关。 |
I've learned so many things out of the project and in the real world. |
我从这个项目和现实世界中 学到了很多东西。 |
CR: The structured internship is really an opportunity for students to practice their skills, for us to create connections between that internship and a later job opportunity. |
克里斯蒂娜·罗素: 结构化实习是 学生实践技能的很好机会, 它让我们得以在实习和 以后的工作机会之间 建立联系。 |
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段; intern:n.实习医生; v.(战争期间或由于政治原因未经审讯)拘留; structured:adj.有结构的;有组织的;v.组织;构成(structure的过去分词);建造; internship:n.实习生;(美)实习期;实习医师职位;
|
(Music) |
(音乐) |
This is a model that really stops putting time and university policies and procedures at the center and instead puts the student at the center. |
这种模式不以时间投入、 大学政策和流程当作重心, 而是真正的以学生为本。 |
IM: The SNHU model is a big way to shake the tree. |
伊格纳西奥·马特尼: 南新罕布什尔大学模式是 |
Huge. |
一场大变革。 |
It's a huge shake to the traditional way of having tertiary education here. |
这对传统的高等教育方式 是一个巨大的冲击。 |
BDY: It can transform the lives of students from these vulnerable and refugee communities . |
贝利·耶希塔: 它可以改变那些 来自脆弱和难民社区的学生的命运。[04:51] |
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) procedures:n.程序;规程(procedure的复数); traditional:传统的,惯例的, transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式; vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
|
NDD: If I get the degree, |
诺里亚·杜萨比梅尔: 如果我拿到学位, |
I can just come back and work everywhere that I want. |
就可以回到家乡, 在任何想去的地方工作。 |
I can go for a masters confidently in English, which is something that I would not have dreamt of before. |
我可以自信地去 攻读英语硕士, 这在过去都是 我想都不敢想的事情。 |
And I have the confidence and the skills required to actually go out and just tackle the workplace without having to fear that I can't make it. |
我有信心和所需的技能 去面对职场, 不用担心我做不到。 |
SAS: I always wanted to work with the community. |
赛达·赛义德:我一直想 为这个群体服务。 |
confidently:adv.自信地;安心地; confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的; tackle:v.处理; n.用具; workplace:n.工作场所;车间;
|
I want to establish a nonprofit . |
我要成立一个非营利组织。 |
We advocate for women's education. |
我们推动妇女教育。 |
I want to be someone who is, like, an ambassador and encourage them to learn and tell them it is never too late. |
我想成为一个大使, 去鼓励她们学习, 去告诉她们, 学习永远不会太晚。 |
It's a dream. |
这是个梦想。 |
establish:v.创立;设立;建立;确立;使立足;查实; nonprofit:adj.非赢利的;不以赢利为目的的; advocate:v.拥护;支持;提倡;n.支持者;提倡者;辩护律师;出庭辩护人; ambassador:n.大使;代表;使节;
|