返回首页

ChristinePorath_2018X-_为什么对你的同事友善会对业绩有益?_

Who do you want to be? 你想成为谁?
It's a simple question, and whether you know it or not, you're answering it every day through your actions. 这是一个简单的问题, 不管你知不知道答案, 你每天都在用你的行动回答它。
This one question will define your professional success more than any other, because how you show up and treat people means everything. 这一个问题会比其他的问题 更好地定义 你事业的成功, 因为你的表现和对待他人的方式 代表了一切。
define:v.定义;使明确;规定; professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
Either you lift people up by respecting them, making them feel valued, appreciated and heard, or you hold people down by making them feel small, insulted , disregarded or excluded . 不论你是举高他人 通过尊重他们 使他们感到重视, 欣赏和倾听, 还是压制他人 通过使他们感到渺小, 侮辱、忽视或排斥。
appreciated:v.欣赏;感激;理解;(appreciate的过去分词和过去式) insulted:v.辱骂;侮辱;冒犯;(insult的过去分词和过去式) disregarded:不顾,不理会,无视(disregard的过去式和过去分词); excluded:v.排除;拒绝;把…除外;驱除;(excluded是exclude的过去分词)
And who you choose to be means everything. 你选择成为谁代表着一切
I study the effects of incivility on people. 我研究了在人类身上 不文明行为的影响。
incivility:n.无礼貌;
What is incivility? 什么是不文明?
It's disrespect or rudeness . 是不尊重或者粗鲁无礼。
disrespect:n.无礼,失礼,不敬; rudeness:n.无礼;粗蛮;
It includes a lot of different behaviors, from mocking or belittling someone to teasing people in ways that sting to telling offensive jokes to texting in meetings. 它包含了许多不同的行为, 从嘲笑或者轻蔑某人, 到以刺痛的方式戏弄他人, 到开冒犯人的玩笑, 到在会议上发短信。
mocking:adj.嘲弄的;v.嘲笑(mock的现在分词); belittling:v.贬低;小看;(belittle的现在分词) teasing:adj.开玩笑的;n.取笑;挑逗;v.取笑;戏弄;招惹;(tease的现在分词) sting:v.刺;蜇;叮;(使)感觉刺痛;n.刺;刺伤;蜇伤;刺毛; offensive:n.进攻;攻势;攻击;侵犯;adj.冒犯的;得罪人的;无礼的;
And what's uncivil to one person may be absolutely fine to another. 一个人觉得失礼的行为, 另一个来说是完全可以接受的。
uncivil:adj.不文明的;粗野的;失礼的; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
Take texting while someone's speaking to you. 当别人在跟你说话的时候发短信,
Some of us may find it rude, others may think it's absolutely civil. 我们当中的一些人 可能觉得这很无礼 另一些人可能觉得 这完全可以接受。
So it really depends. 所以这真的得看情况。
It's all in the eyes of the beholder and whether that person felt disrespected . 这完全取决于旁观者的看法 和那个人是否感到不尊重。
beholder:n.旁观者;观看者; disrespected:v.不尊敬;(disrespect的过去式和过去分词)
We may not mean to make someone feel that way, but when we do, it has consequences . 我们可能并没有让某人 那么想的打算, 但是当我们做了后, 它有了代价。
consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
Over 22 years ago, 22多年前,
I vividly recall walking into this stuffy hospital room. 我清楚地记得 走进这个古板的医院病房
vividly:adv.生动地;强烈地; recall:v.记起;回想起;使想到;勾起;召回;n.记忆力;记性;回归请求;回收令; stuffy:adj.闷热的;古板的;不通气的;
It was heartbreaking to see my dad, this strong, athletic , energetic guy, lying in the bed with electrodes strapped to his bare chest. 我心碎的看着我爸爸这个坚强, 体格健壮,精力充沛的男人, 躺在床上 电极绑在他裸露的胸膛上。
heartbreaking:adj.令人心碎的;使人悲痛的; athletic:adj.健壮的;体育运动的;田径运动的 energetic:adj.精力充沛的;充满活力的;需要能量的;积极的; electrodes:n.[电]电极(electrode的复数);电焊条; strapped:adj.缺钱的; v.用带子系; (strap的过去分词和过去式) bare:adj.空的;赤裸的,无遮蔽的;v.露出,使赤裸;
What put him there was work-related stress. 使他躺在那里的 是和工作相关的压力。
work-related:与工作有关的;
For over a decade, he suffered an uncivil boss. 十多年来, 他有一个不文明的老板。
And for me, I thought he was just an outlier at that time. 我曾以为他只是一个特例。
outlier:n.[分化]异常值;露宿者;局外人;离开本体的部分;
But just a couple years later, 但是仅仅几年后,
I witnessed and experienced a lot of incivility in my first job out of college. 在我毕业后的第一个工作内 我眼见和亲身遭遇了 许多不文明行为。
witnessed:v.当场看到,目击;见证;作证;(witness的过去式和过去分词)
I spent a year going to work every day and hearing things from coworkers like, "Are you an idiot ? That's not how it's done," 我花了一年的时间每天去工作 和听取同事的意见, 就像 你是白痴吗? 这不是这么做的
coworkers:n.同事;合作人;(coworker的复数形式) idiot:n.笨蛋,傻瓜;白痴;
and, "If I wanted your opinion, I'd ask." 和 “我如果需要你的意见, 我会问。”
So I did the natural thing. 所以我做了再自然不过的事情。
I quit , and I went back to grad school to study the effects of this. 辞职, 然后回到大学 研究这个对人产生的效应
quit:v.离开;放弃;停止;使…解除;n.离开;[计]退出;adj.摆脱了…的;已经了结的; grad:n.毕业生;校友;
There, I met Christine Pearson. 在那里, 我认识了 克里斯廷·皮尔森,
And she had a theory that small, uncivil actions can lead to much bigger problems like aggression and violence . 她有一个理论 那些小小的, 不文明的行为, 可导致更大的问题, 比如侵略和暴力。
aggression:n.侵略;侵犯;攻击性;好斗情绪; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
We believed that incivility affected performance and the bottom line . 我们相信不礼貌行为会影响 一个人的表现和结果。
performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演; the bottom line:底线;本质内容;最底线;
So we launched a study, and what we found was eye-opening . 所以我们开展了一个研究, 所发现的让我们大开眼界
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词) eye-opening:adj.令人瞠目的;使人开眼界的;有启发性的;
We sent a survey to business school alumni working in all different organizations . 我们寄了一个调查表给 在不同机构工作的 商学院的学生,
survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地; business school:n.(大学里针对毕业生的)工商学院; alumni:n.(统称)校友,毕业生; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
We asked them to write a few sentences about one experience where they were treated rudely , disrespectfully or insensitively , and to answer questions about how they reacted . 我们要求他们写一小段 关于他们被粗鲁对待, 不被尊重或是被无视的一段经历, 然后回答 他们当时是什么反应?
treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式) rudely:adv.无礼地;粗暴地; disrespectfully:adv.无礼地;不恭地; insensitively:无知觉地;麻木地;感觉迟钝地;不敏感地; reacted:v.起反应; (react的过去分词和过去式)
One person told us about a boss that made insulting statements like, "That's kindergartner's work," 有人告诉我们有一个老板 一直说侮辱性的话: “那是幼儿园小孩的工作。”
insulting:adj.侮辱的,无礼的;污蔑的;损害人体的;v.侮辱;损害;(insult的现在分词); statements:n.说明; v.(英国)对儿童进行特殊教育评估认定; (statement的第三人称单数和复数)
and another tore up someone's work in front of the entire team. 另一个在全队面前 把某人的工作撕毁。
And what we found is that incivility made people less motivated : 66 percent cut back work efforts, 80 percent lost time worrying about what happened, and 12 percent left their job. 我们发现了那些不文明行为 会消减人们的动力, 66%的人们工作动力减少, 80%的人们浪费时间 担心发生的事情, 和12%直接辞职。
motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机;
And after we published these results, two things happened. 当我们公布了这些结果后, 发生了两件事情。
One, we got calls from organizations. 一, 我们接到了企业的电话
Cisco read about these numbers, took just a few of these and estimated , conservatively , 思科系统阅读了这些数据, 使用了其中的一些, 作了保守的估计,
Cisco:n.加拿大白鲑(一种青鱼);Cisco公司(是企业网络产品的全球领先供应商); estimated:adj.估计的;预计的;估算的; conservatively:adv.谨慎地;保存地;适当地;
The second thing that happened was, we heard from others in our academic field who said, "Well, people are reporting this, but how can you really show it? 第二件发生的事情是,我们 听到了在学术界的人说: “好吧,人们在报道它, 但是你可以真的证明它吗?
academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者;
Does people's performance really suffer?" 人们的表现真的会变糟吗?“
I was curious about that, too. 我也对它很好奇。
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
With Amir Erez, I compared those that experienced incivility to those that didn't experience incivility. 和阿米尔·埃雷兹一起, 我对比了 遭遇过不文明行为的人 和不曾受到不文明行为的人。
Amir:n.埃米尔(穆斯林国家的酋长等称号);贵族; compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
And what we found is that those that experience incivility do actually function much worse. 我们发现那些 受到过不文明行为的 工作真的会做得更差。
'"OK," you may say. "This makes sense. “好吧,” 你可能会说。 “这是讲得通的。
After all, it's natural that their performance suffers." 他们的表现会变糟 是自然的事情。”
But what about if you're not the one who experiences it? 但是如果你不是那个 经历过的人呢?
What if you just see or hear it? 如果你只是看到或者听到呢?
What if:如果…怎么办?
You're a witness. 你是目击者。
We wondered if it affected witnesses , too. 我们想知道目击者 会不会也受到影响。
witnesses:n.[法]证人; v.作证;
So we conducted studies where five participants would witness an experimenter act rudely to someone who arrived late to the study. 所以我们进行了研究 五个参加者见证 实验者粗鲁地对待 一个晚到实验室的人。
conducted:v.组织;安排;实施;执行;指挥;带领;引导;(conduct的过去分词和过去式) participants:n.参与者(participant的复数形式);
The experimenter said, "What is it with you? 实验者说, “你怎么回事?
You arrive late, you're irresponsible . 你晚到,你不负责任。
irresponsible:adj.不负责任的;不可靠的;
Look at you! How do you expect to hold a job in the real world?" 看看你自己! 你怎么可能 胜任现实世界里的工作?“
And in another study in a small group, we tested the effects of a peer insulting a group member. 在另一个小组研究中, 我们测试了同僚 侮辱一个队友的影响。
peer:n.同辈;同龄人;身份(或地位)相同的人;(英国)贵族成员;v.仔细看;端详;
Now, what we found was really interesting, because witnesses' performance decreased , too -- and not just marginally , quite significantly . 现在, 我们发现了 非常令人感兴趣的 因为目击者的表现 也降低了-- 不仅仅是轻微的, 非常显着。
decreased:v.减少,减小,降低;(decrease的过去分词和过去式) marginally:adv.少量地;最低限度地;在栏外;在页边; significantly:adv.意味深长地;值得注目地;
Incivility is a bug . 不文明是个病
bug:n.臭虫,小虫;故障;窃听器;v.烦扰,打扰;装窃听器;
It's contagious , and we become carriers of it just by being around it. 会传染的病, 我们会仅仅因为在附近 而被传染
contagious:adj.感染性的;会蔓延的;
And this isn't confined to the workplace . 而且不只限于工作的地方。
confined:adj.狭窄的; v.限制(confine的过去式和过去分词); workplace:n.工作场所;车间;
We can catch this virus anywhere -- at home, online, in schools and in our communities . 随时随地我们都有可能 感染病毒, 在家里, 在网上, 在学校 和在我们的社区。
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
It affects our emotions , our motivation , our performance and how we treat others. 它会影响我们的心情, 动力,表现 和怎么对待他人。
emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) motivation:n.动机;积极性;推动;
It even affects our attention and can take some of our brainpower . 它甚至会影响我们的注意力 和剥夺一些脑力。
brainpower:n.智能;智囊团;
And this happens not only if we experience incivility or we witness it. 它的发生不仅仅是 因为我们经历过 或者目睹过不文明,
It can happen even if we just see or read rude words. 它甚至会因为我们 看过或者读过粗鲁的话而发生。
Let me give you an example of what I mean. 让我给你们打个比喻。
To test this, we gave people combinations of words to use to make a sentence. 为了证明这个, 我们给了别人 一些词的组合 让他们造句。
combinations:n.[数]组合;制品(combination的复数);合谱;
But we were very sneaky . 但是我们非常狡猾。
sneaky:adj.鬼鬼祟祟的;暗中的,卑鄙的;
Half the participants got a list with 15 words used to trigger rudeness: impolitely , interrupt , obnoxious , bother . 有一半的参与者收到一个 触发粗鲁的十五个词的列表: 没礼貌, 打断, 惹人厌,打扰。
trigger:n.触发器; v.触发; impolitely:adv.无礼地; interrupt:v.中断;打断;插嘴;妨碍;n.中断; obnoxious:adj.讨厌的;可憎的;不愉快的; bother:v.烦扰,打扰;使…不安;操心,麻烦;n.麻烦;烦恼;
Half the participants received a list of words with none of these rude triggers . 另一半的参与者收到了 不会触发粗鲁的词的列表。
triggers:n.[电子]触发器;触发物(trigger的复数);v.引起(trigger的单三形式);引爆;
And what we found was really surprising, because the people who got the rude words were five times more likely to miss information right in front of them on the computer screen. 我们的发现令人惊讶, 因为收到粗鲁词的人们 在电脑屏幕前 漏掉信息的可能性 比其他人多出了五倍。
And as we continued this research, what we found is that those that read the rude words took longer to make decisions, to record their decisions, and they made significantly more errors. 当我们继续这个研究时, 我们还发现了那些读过 粗鲁词的人们 需要更长的时间 做决定, 记录决定, 而且他们明显犯了更多的错误。
This can be a big deal , especially when it comes to life-and-death situations. 这非常重要, 尤其是在 生和死的局面里。
a big deal:na.要人;重要的事; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; life-and-death:adj.生死攸关的;重大的;
Steve, a physician , told me about a doctor that he worked with who was never very respectful, especially to junior staff and nurses. 史蒂夫, 一名从医者, 曾告诉过我关于一名 他曾一起工作过的医生。 他从来不尊重别人, 尤其是对资历较浅的员工和护士。
physician:n.[医]医师;内科医师; junior:n.青少年;职位较低者;adj.青少年的;地位低下的;
But Steve told me about this one particular interaction where this doctor shouted at a medical team. 但是史蒂夫告诉我 有一次, 那个医生对团队大声训斥。
interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;
Right after the interaction, the team gave the wrong dosage of medication to their patient . 刚好在那之后, 团队开了错的药的剂量 给他们的患者。
dosage:n.剂量,用量; medication:n.药;药物; patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者;
Steve said the information was right there on the chart, but somehow everyone on the team missed it. 史蒂夫说所有信息就在图表上, 但是不知道怎么的 团队里的每个人都错过了它。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
He said they lacked the attention or awareness to take it into account. 他说他们缺乏注意力, 也没有考虑全信息的意识。
awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道;
Simple mistake, right? 不过是个简单的错误, 对吗?
Well, that patient died. 嗯, 那个患者死了。
Researchers in Israel have actually shown that medical teams exposed to rudeness perform worse not only in all their diagnostics , but in all the procedures they did. 以色列的研究者们发现 承受过粗鲁行为的 医疗团队 不仅仅是在他们 所有的诊断上表现差, 而是在所有他们做过的事情上 表现差。
Israel:n.以色列(亚洲国家);犹太人,以色列人; exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式) diagnostics:n.诊断学(用作单数); procedures:n.程序;规程(procedure的复数);
This was mainly because the teams exposed to rudeness didn't share information as readily , and they stopped seeking help from their teammates. 最主要是因为 被粗鲁对待过的团队 不会乐意共享信息, 他们还会停止寻求队友帮助。
mainly:adv.大多;大部分;主要地;首要地; readily:adv.容易地;乐意地;无困难地; seeking:v.寻找;寻求;谋求;争取;(向人)请求(seek的现在分词)
And I see this not only in medicine but in all industries. 我并不只是在医疗行业上看到 而是在所有的行业里。
So if incivility has such a huge cost, why do we still see so much of it? 所以如果不文明 有这么大的代价的话, 它为什么还这么常见?
I was curious, so we surveyed people about this, too. 我很好奇, 所以我们也 做了关于这个的问卷调查。
surveyed:v.调查,俯视(survey的过去式和过去分词形式);考察,调研;
The number one reason is stress. 最重要的原因是压力,
People feel overwhelmed . 人们感到被压垮了。
overwhelmed:v.受打击,压倒;淹没;(overwhelm的过去分词和过去式)
The other reason that people are not more civil is because they're skeptical and even concerned about being civil or appearing nice. 人们不再文明还因为 他们持怀疑态度, 甚至担心 成为文明或者好相处的人。
skeptical:adj.怀疑的;怀疑论的,不可知论的; concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
They believe they'll appear less leader-like. 他们坚信他们会看起来 不像领导者。
They wonder: Do nice guys finish last? 他们自问: 好相处的人们 真会坚持到最后吗?
Or in other words: Do jerks get ahead? 或者说: 混蛋难道不一直会领先吗?
jerks:n.急促而猛烈的动作;傻瓜(jerk的复数);v.猛拉;突然说出(jerk的三单形式);
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's easy to think so, especially when we see a few prominent examples that dominate the conversation. 很容易会这么想, 尤其是当我们看到 几个少数突出 主导谈话的例子。
prominent:adj.突出的,显著的;杰出的;卓越的; dominate:vt.控制;支配;占优势;在…中占主要地位;vi.占优势;处于支配地位;
Well, it turns out, in the long run , they don't. 事实证明, 从长远来看, 他们并没有。
in the long run:长远;终究;
There's really rich research on this by Morgan McCall and Michael Lombardo when they were at the Center for Creative Leadership. 摩根·麦考尔和迈克尔·隆巴尔多, 当他们在创意领导中心的时候, 对此进行了丰富的研究。
Creative:adj.创造性的;
They found that the number one reason tied to executive failure was an insensitive, abrasive or bullying style. 他们发现与执行失败相关的 主要原因是 一种不理智,使人厌烦的 或者欺凌的风格。
executive:n.管理人员; adj.经营管理的; abrasive:adj.粗糙的;有研磨作用的;伤人感情的;n.研磨料; bullying:n.仗势欺人者;横行霸道者;v.恐吓;伤害;胁迫;(bully的现在分词)
There will always be some outliers that succeed despite their incivility. 当然总会有一些例外, 即使他们不文明也成功了。
outliers:n.[分化]异常值;离群值;离开本体的东西;局外人(outlier的复数); despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
Sooner or later , though, most uncivil people sabotage their success. 早晚有一天, 大部分的不文明 会阻扰他们的成就。
Sooner or later:迟早,早晚; sabotage:v.妨害;对…采取破坏行动;n.破坏;破坏活动;怠工;
For example, with uncivil executives , it comes back to hurt them when they're in a place of weakness or they need something. 比如,不文明的领导, 当他们处于弱势 或者需要东西时 就惨了。
executives:n.经理,主管领导,管理人员;领导层;行政部门(executive的复数)
People won't have their backs. 因为别人不会支持他们。
But what about nice guys? 那些好人呢?
Does civility pay? 文明有回报吗?
Yes, it does. 当然有。
And being civil doesn't just mean that you're not a jerk. 文明不代表你不是一个混蛋,
Not holding someone down isn't the same as lifting them up. 不轻视别人和鼓舞人们不一样。
Being truly civil means doing the small things, like smiling and saying hello in the hallway, listening fully when someone's speaking to you. 真正的文明代表 做好小细节, 就像在过道微笑和打招呼, 当别人跟你讲话时专注地倾听。
Now, you can have strong opinions, disagree, have conflict or give negative feedback civilly , with respect . 现在,你可以有强烈的意见, 不同意他人,与他人起冲突或者 文明地给别人负面的反馈, 前提是要尊重别人。
conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; feedback:n.反馈;反馈意见;回授;[电子]反馈; civilly:adv.谦恭地;依民法; with respect:怀有敬意;
Some people call it " radical candor ," 有些人叫它“彻底的坦率” ,
radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的; candor:n.坦白;直率;
where you care personally , but you challenge directly . 就是你关心对方, 同时也可以挑战对方。
personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言; directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
So yes, civility pays. 所以, 是的, 文明是有回报的。
In a biotechnology firm, colleagues and I found that those that were seen as civil were twice as likely to be viewed as leaders, and they performed significantly better. 在一个生物技术公司, 我和我同事发现 那些被公认为文明的人 被视为领导的可能性有两倍 而且他们的表现明显较好。
biotechnology:n.[生物]生物技术;[生物]生物工艺学; colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); performed:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好)(perform的过去分词和过去式)
Why does civility pay? 为什么文明有回报?
Because people see you as an important -- and a powerful -- unique combination of two key characteristics : warm and competent , friendly and smart. 因为别人会看你是一个 重要的和强大的人 结合两个特征的独一无二的组合: 热情和能干, 友好和聪明。
unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物; characteristics:n.特征;特点;品质;(characteristic的复数) competent:adj.胜任的;有能力的;能干的;足够的;
In other words, being civil isn't just about motivating others. 用别的话来说, 文明不只可以激励别人
motivating:v.激励;刺激;调动…的积极性(motivate的ing形式);
It's about you. 也是为了自己。
If you're civil, you're more likely to be seen as a leader. 如果你文明, 你更有可能被看成一位领导者。
You'll perform better, and you're seen as warm and competent. 你会表现得更好, 同时看起来更热情和能干。
But there's an even bigger story about how civility pays, and it ties to one of the most important questions around leadership: 文明的回报不止于此, 它与领导力最重要的问题息息相关:
What do people want most from their leaders? 大家从领导那里最想得到什么?
We took data from over 20,000 employees around the world, and we found the answer was simple: respect. 我们取了全世界2万员工的数据, 找到的答案很简单: 尊重、
Being treated with respect was more important than recognition and appreciation , useful feedback, even opportunities for learning. 被尊重对待 比认识和欣赏, 比有效的反馈 甚至比学习的机会更重要。
recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可; appreciation:n.升值;欣赏;感谢;增值;
Those that felt respected were healthier, more focused, more likely to stay with their organization and far more engaged . 那些感到被尊重对待的人更健康, 更集中, 更有可能留在机构里 和更投入。
engaged:adj.已订婚的; v.吸引住; (engage的过去分词和过去式)
So where do you start? 所以你该从哪里开始?
How can you lift people up and make people feel respected? 你要怎么让别人振作起来 和让他们感到尊重?
Well, the nice thing is, it doesn't require a huge shift . 值得高兴的是, 它不需要很大的改变。
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换;
Small things can make a big difference. 做小小的事情可以有很大的改变。
I found that thanking people, sharing credit, listening attentively , humbly asking questions, acknowledging others and smiling has an impact . 我发现学会感恩, 分享功劳, 专注的聆听, 谦虚的提问, 认可他人和微笑 都是有影响的。
attentively:adv.注意地;聚精会神地;周到地; humbly:adv.谦逊地;卑贱地;低声下气地; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
Patrick Quinlan, former CEO of Ochsner Health [System], told me about the effects of their 10-5 way, where if you're within 10 feet of someone, you make eye contact and smile, and if you're within five feet, you say hello. 帕特里克·昆兰,奥斯纳 健康系统的前执行首席官, 曾告诉过我他们的 “10-5步”的方法, 当你跟某人在十英尺的距离内, 你要和他对视微笑, 当你们在五英尺的距离内 你要说你好。
contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系;
He explained that civility spread, patient satisfaction scores rose, as did patient referrals . 他说文明行为扩展了, 患者的满足指数提升了, 患者的推荐指数也上升了。
satisfaction:n.满意,满足;赔偿;乐事;赎罪; referrals:n.推荐;下线(referral的复数);参考;
Civility and respect can be used to boost an organization's performance. 文明和尊重可以促进 机构的业绩。
boost:n.提高;增长;帮助;激励;v.使增长;使兴旺;偷窃;
When my friend Doug Conant took over as CEO of Campbell's Soup Company in 2001, the company's market share had just dropped in half. 当我的朋友道格·康南特在2011 出任坎贝尔公司的首席执行官时, 公司的股票刚跌了一半,
market share:n.[商]市场份额;市场占有率;
Sales were declining , lots of people had just been laid off. 销售在往下跌, 很多人被解雇了。
declining:v.减少;下降;衰弱;谢绝;婉言拒绝;(decline的现在分词)
A Gallup manager said it was the least engaged organization that they had surveyed. 一位盖洛普经理表示 在他们的调查历史中, 这是最不受欢迎的组织。
Gallup:vi.进行民意测验;vt.对…进行民意测验;
And as Doug drove up to work his first day, he noticed that the headquarters was surrounded by barbwire fence. 当道格第一天开车去上班时, 他发现总公司被 铁钢丝的围墙包围,
headquarters:n.总部;指挥部;司令部; barbwire:un.带刺铁丝;
There were guard towers in the parking lot . 停车场里有警卫塔。
parking lot:n.停车场;
He said it looked like a minimum security prison . 他说就像一个 小小的安全监狱。
minimum security prison:n.开放式监狱(对犯人的自由限制较少);
It felt toxic . 他感觉非常有害。
toxic:adj.有毒的;中毒的;
Within five years, Doug had turned things around. 在五年内,道格 改变了很多东西,
And within nine years, they were setting all-time performance records and racking up awards, including best place to work. 在九年内, 他们突破了 空前的业绩记录, 并获得奖项, 包括最好的工作场所。
all-time:adj.空前的;全部时间的;历来的; racking:n.推压动作; adj.拷问的; v.折磨;
How did he do it? 他是怎么做到的?
On day one, Doug told employees that he was going to have high standards for performance, but they were going to do it with civility. 第一天,道格就跟员工说 他会有很高的业绩标准, 但是我们要文明地达到它。
standards:n.标准,水平,规格(standard的复数)
He walked the talk, and he expected his leaders to. 他带头表态, 同时 他也希望他的领导们也能这样。
For Doug, it all came down to being tough-minded on standards and tenderhearted with people. 对于Doug来说, 这一切 都是对标准的坚韧 和温厚的待人。
tough-minded:adj.意志坚强的;实际的; tenderhearted:adj.心地温和的;温厚的;
For him, he said it was all about these touch points, or these daily interactions he had with employees, whether in the hallway, in the cafeteria or in meetings. 对于他来说, 这全是关于这些接触点 或者他和员工的这些日常互动, 不论是在走廊, 在咖啡厅或者在会议室。
interactions:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;(interaction复数)
And if he handled each touch point well, he'd make employees feel valued. 如果他处理好每个接触点, 他会使员工感到有价值。
Another way that Doug made employees feel valued and showed them that he was paying attention is that he handwrote over 30,000 thank-you notes to employees. 道格还有一个使他员工感到被重视, 让员工知道他有心方法: 他给他的员工们手写了 三万张感谢条。
handwrote:vt.亲手写(handwrite的变形);
And this set an example for other leaders. 这给其他领导人树立了榜样。
Leaders have about 400 of these touch points a day. 他们每天大概有 400个这样的接触点,
Most don't take long, less than two minutes each. 大部分都不长,少于两分钟,
The key is to be agile and mindful in each of these moments. 重点是在每个时刻 保持敏捷和专注。
agile:adj.敏捷的;机敏的;活泼的; mindful:adj.留心的;记住的;警觉的;
Civility lifts people. 文明能鼓励人们。
We'll get people to give more and function at their best if we're civil. 我们会让热门更好的 发挥他们的作用, 如果我们用文明的方式。
Incivility chips away at people and their performance. 不文明会一点点消耗人 并影响他们的业绩,
chips:炸土豆条(chip的复数)
It robs people of their potential , even if they're just working around it. 它剥夺了人们的潜能, 即便是一旁工作的人也一样。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
What I know from my research is that when we have more civil environments, we're more productive , creative, helpful, happy and healthy. 我从我的研究中了解到的是 当我们有更文明的环境时 我们更有效率,更有创造力, 更愿意帮助别人,更快乐和更健康。
productive:adj.能生产的;生产的,生产性的;多产的;富有成效的;
We can do better. 我们可以做的更好。
Each one of us can be more mindful and can take actions to lift others up around us, at work, at home, online, in schools and in our communities. 我们中的每个人可以更小心, 也可以采取行动提升 我们身边的每个人, 在工作上, 在家里, 在网上, 在学校里 和在我们的社区里。
In every interaction, think: 在每个互动里,想一下
Who do you want to be? 你想成为谁?
Let's put an end to incivility bug and start spreading civility. 让我们结束不文明, 和开始扩散文明。
put an end to:结束;终止;
After all, it pays. 最后的最后, 它是有回报的
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)