|
|
ChrisMilk_2015-_虚拟实境如何创造人性化的机器_
|
Virtual reality started for me in sort of an unusual place. |
对于我来说,虚拟实境是以一种特殊方式开始的。 |
Virtual reality:n.(计算机创造的)虚拟现实;
|
It was the 1970s. |
在 1970 年代, |
I got into the field very young: I was seven years old. |
我在非常年轻的时候就加入这个领域,当时我七岁, |
And the tool that I used to access virtual reality was the Evel Knievel stunt cycle. |
而那个让我进入虚拟实境的工具 是艾佛·克尼沃的特技飞车模型。 |
stunt:n.特技;噱头;特技表演;危险举动;vt.妨碍发展;遏制
|
This is a commercial for that particular item : |
这是它的商業宣传: |
commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告; item:n.条款,项目;一则;一件商品(或物品);adj.又,同上;
|
(Video) Voice-over : What a jump! |
(影片)旁白:看那一跳! |
Voice-over:n.画外音;(电影或电视)旁白;
|
Evel's riding the amazing stunt cycle. |
艾佛正在表演惊人的飞车特技, |
That gyro-power sends him over 100 feet at top speed. |
他以最高速让陀螺转子的力量到达 100 英尺的高度。 |
Chris Milk: So this was my joy back then. |
克里斯·米尔克:这就是我当时的娱乐。 |
I rode this motorcycle everywhere. |
我骑着这个摩托车到处跑。 |
And I was there with Evel Knievel; we jumped the Snake River Canyon together. |
我和艾佛·克尼沃一起跳过了蛇湖峡谷。 |
Canyon:n.(周围有悬崖峭壁的)峡谷;(
|
I wanted the rocket. |
我想要那个火箭。 |
I never got the rocket, I only got the motorcycle. |
但我却没得到那个火箭,我只有得到摩托车。 |
I felt so connected to this world. |
这让我感觉到我与世界紧紧相连。 |
I didn't want to be a storyteller when I grew up, I wanted to be stuntman . |
我不想长大后成是一个讲故事人,我想成为一个特技演员。 |
storyteller:n.说故事的人;故事作者;短篇小说作家; stuntman:n.特技人,特技替身演员;表演者;
|
I was there. Evel Knievel was my friend. |
我就在那里,艾佛·克尼沃是我的朋友。 |
I had so much empathy for him. |
我在他身上投入了很多感情。 |
empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着;
|
But it didn't work out. (Laughter) |
但是这没什么用。(笑声) |
I went to art school. |
我进了艺术学校。 |
I started making music videos. |
开始制作音乐影片。 |
And this is one of the early music videos that I made: |
这是我早期制作的音乐影片之一: |
(Music: "Touch the Sky" by Kanye West) |
(音乐:「触摸苍穹」 凯恩·韦斯特) |
CM: You may notice some slight similarities here. |
克里斯·米尔克:你可能会发现一些细微的相同点。 |
slight:adj.轻微的;略微的;细小的;纤细的;n.侮慢;冷落;轻视;v.侮慢;冷落;轻视; similarities:n.相仿性;类似性;相像处;(similarity的复数)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And I got that rocket. |
我得到了那火箭。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So, now I'm a filmmaker , or, the beginning of a filmmaker , and I started using the tools that are available to me as a filmmaker to try to tell the most compelling stories that I can to an audience. |
所以,现在我是一个电影制片人,或者说,一个新手的电影制片人。 我开始尝试运用我可以利用的制片工具 将故事以吸引人方式带给观众。 |
filmmaker:n.电影制作人;电影摄制者; compelling:adj.引人入胜的; v.强迫; (compel的现在分词)
|
And film is this incredible medium that allows us to feel empathy for people that are very different than us and worlds completely foreign from our own. |
而电影,是不可思议的媒介,让我们感同身受, 体会那些截然不同的人生, 和那些对我们而言陌生的世界。 |
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的; different than:不同于;
|
Unfortunately , |
不幸的是 |
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
|
Evel Knievel did not feel the same empathy for us that we felt for him, and he sued us for this video -- |
艾佛·克尼沃并没有感受到我们的感受, 他因为这个影片而控告了我们 |
sued:v.控告;提起诉讼;提出请求;(sue的过去分词和过去式)
|
(Laughter) -- shortly thereafter . |
(笑声) 在那之后不久。 |
thereafter:adv.其后;从那时以后;
|
On the upside, the man that I worshipped as a child, the man that I wanted to become as an adult, |
不过就好的方面来说,那个我小时候一直崇拜的男人, 那我长大后想成为的男人, |
worshipped:v.崇敬,崇拜(上帝或神);做礼拜;热爱;(worship的过去分词和过去式)
|
I was finally able to get his autograph . |
最终我得到了他的签名。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; autograph:n.亲笔,手稿;亲笔签名;vt.亲笔签名于…;亲笔书写;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Let's talk about film now. |
现在我们来谈谈电影 |
Film, it's an incredible medium, but essentially , it's the same now as it was then. |
电影,是一种不可思议的媒介, 不过就本质来说,它发展至今并没有变化。 |
essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
|
It's a group of rectangles that are played in a sequence . |
它只是将一组长方形(电影帧片)按一定的顺序播放。 |
rectangles:n.[数]矩形;长方形(rectangle的复数形式); sequence:n.顺序; v.按顺序排列;
|
And we've done incredible things with those rectangles. |
而我们用这些长方形制作了很多令人难以置信的电影。 |
But I started thinking about, is there a way that I can use modern and developing technologies to tell stories in different ways and tell different kinds of stories |
但我开始设想, 是否有什么办法,让我运用现代先进技术, 将故事以不同的形式表达出来, 并讲述不同的故事, |
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数);
|
that maybe I couldn't tell using the traditional tools of filmmaking that we've been using for 100 years? |
那些我不能用传统技艺表达出来的故事, 那些已经用了 100 多年的技术? |
traditional:传统的,惯例的, filmmaking:n.制片,电影摄制;
|
So I started experimenting, and what I was trying to do was to build the ultimate empathy machine. |
所以我开始进行试验, 一个终极的可以表达情感的机器。 |
ultimate:adj.最终的;极限的;根本的;n.终极;根本;基本原则;
|
And here's one of the early experiments: |
这是早期的试验之一: |
(Music) |
(音乐) |
So this is called "The Wilderness Downtown ." |
这个叫做「市中心的荒野。」 |
Wilderness:n.荒野;(草木丛生的)荒地;荒芜的地方;杂草丛生处; Downtown:n.市区;闹市区;adv.在市区;在热闹街上;到闹市区;adj.闹市区的;
|
It was a collaboration with Arcade Fire. |
一个与「拱廊之火」的合作项目。 |
collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌; Arcade:n.拱廊;游乐场;有拱廊的街道;v.使有拱廊;
|
It asked you to put in the address where you grew up at the beginning of it. |
它会请求你键入你成长地的地址。 |
at the beginning of:在…的开始;
|
It's a website. |
是一个网站。 |
And out of it starts growing these little boxes with different browser windows. |
之后,一些小方块会从不同的浏览器视窗出现。 |
browser:n.[计]浏览器;吃嫩叶的动物;浏览书本的人;
|
And you see this teenager running down a street, and then you see Google Street View and Google Maps imagery and you realize the street he's running down is yours. |
然后你会看见一个青少年在街上跑, 再然后,你会看见谷歌街景和谷歌地图图像 你会意识到,那个青少年跑过的街区,就是你童年呆过的地方。 |
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; imagery:n.像;意象;比喻;形象化;
|
And when he stops in front of a house, he stops in front of your house. |
当他停下的时候,正好停在你的房子面前。 |
And this was great, and I saw people having an even deeper emotional reaction to this than the things that I had made in rectangles. |
这太棒了,我发现大家有更深层次的情感反馈。 比那些长方形帧片带来的感情更深。 |
emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的; reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用;
|
And I'm essentially taking a piece of your history and putting it inside the framing of the story. |
基本上是拿出你的一段过往 并将它植入故事的框架。 |
framing:v.给…做框;作伪证陷害;制订;拟订;n.框架;结构;骨骼;(frame的现在分词)
|
But then I started thinking, okay, well that's a part of you, but how do I put all of you inside of the frame ? |
但是我又开始设想, 没错,那是你故事一部分, 但我怎样才能将你们的全部融入这个框架呢? |
frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的;
|
So to do that, I started making art installations . |
为了达成这个目标,我开始加入艺术效果。 |
installations:n.[军]设施;装置(installation的复数形式);[机]设备;
|
And this is one called "The Treachery of Sanctuary ." |
这叫做「圣堂的背叛。」 |
Treachery:n.背叛;变节;背叛行为; Sanctuary:n.避难所;至圣所;耶路撒冷的神殿;
|
It's a triptych . I'm going to show you the third panel . |
是一个三联画,我现在向你展示第三联画。 |
triptych:n.三幅一联;三张相联; panel:n.镶板;仪表盘;钣金;(衣服上的)镶条;v.镶板(用木或玻璃板等镶嵌或装饰);
|
(Music) |
(音乐) |
So now I've got you inside of the frame, and I saw people having even more visceral emotional reactions to this work than the previous one. |
那么现在,你进入了我的框架, 我看见人们有了比先前 更发自肺腑的情感反应。 |
visceral:adj.内脏的;出于本能的;发自肺腑的;粗俗的; reactions:n.反应;回应;抗拒;生理反应;副作用(reaction的复数) previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
|
But then I started thinking about frames , and what do they represent ? |
但是,我开始思考这些框架:这代表了什么? |
frames:n.[计][电子][通信]帧,[电影]画面;[建][计]框架;眼镜架(frame的复数); represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送;
|
And a frame is just a window. |
框架只是一扇窗户。 |
I mean, all the media that we watch -- television, cinema -- they're these windows into these other worlds. |
我的意思是,所有的媒体﹣电视、电影﹣ 都是通往其他世界的窗户。 |
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
|
And I thought, well, great. I got you in a frame. |
那么我设想,好的,你进入了我设计的框架。 |
But I don't want you in the frame, I don't want you in the window, |
但我不想让你进入里面,不想让你出现在我的窗口, |
I want you through the window, I want you on the other side , in the world, inhabiting the world. |
我想让你穿越这扇窗户, 到达这个世界的另一边,完全融入那个世界。 |
on the other side:另一面;在另一边; inhabiting:vt.栖息;居住于;占据;vi.(古)居住;栖息;
|
So that leads me back to virtual reality. |
这让我重新开始设想虚拟实境。 |
Let's talk about virtual reality. |
那么,我们来谈谈虚拟实境。 |
Unfortunately, talking about virtual reality is like dancing about architecture . |
不幸的是, 虚拟实境就像用舞蹈来解释建筑设计一样。 |
architecture:n.建筑学;建筑风格;建筑式样;架构;
|
And this is actually someone dancing about architecture in virtual reality. |
这真的是在虚拟世界里就像舞蹈之于建筑。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So, it's difficult to explain. Why is it difficult to explain? |
所以这很难解释,为甚么难呢? |
It's difficult because it's a very experiential medium. |
因为这是一个来自个人经验的媒介。 |
experiential:adj.经验的;经验上的;根据经验的;
|
You feel your way inside of it. |
你会感觉到属于你自己的方式。 |
It's a machine, but inside of it, it feels like real life, it feels like truth. |
这是个机器,但是它的内部, 就如同真实的世界 ,它就像现实一样。 |
And you feel present in the world that you're inside and you feel present with the people that you're inside of it with. |
你会感觉到你进入的那个世界 你感觉你与那个世界的人一起存在。 |
So, I'm going to show you a demo of a virtual reality film: a full-screeen version of all the information that we capture when we shoot virtual reality. |
那么现在,我要向大家展示一个虚拟实境的剪辑: 一个全萤幕的 在拍摄虚拟实境过程中获得的资讯。 |
demo:v.试用(尤指软件);演示;示范;n.试样唱片;录音样带; capture:v.俘虏;捕获;攻占;夺得;刻画,描述;n.(被)捕获;(被)俘获
|
So we're shooting in every direction. |
我们从每个角度进行拍摄。 |
This is a camera system that we built that has 3D cameras that look in every direction and binaural microphones that face in every direction. |
我们构建一个摄影机系统, 每个角度都有 3D 摄影机进行拍摄, 并且有多方位的双声道麦克风装置。 |
binaural:adj.有两耳的;两耳用的;双声道的; microphones:n.[电子]麦克风(microphone的复数);
|
We take this and we build, basically , a sphere of a world that you inhabit. |
实际上,我们利用这个系统构建了一个大家居住的世界。 |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; sphere:n.球;领域;球体;球形;v.使成球形;包围;把…放在球内;使处于天体之间;
|
So what I'm going to show you is not a view into the world, it's basically the whole world stretched into a rectangle. |
那么,我将向你展示的,不仅是这世界的一个拍摄角度, 而且是完整的一个被压缩进长方形的世界。 |
stretched:v.拉长;撑大;有弹性(或弹力);拉紧;(stretch的过去式和过去分词)
|
So this film is called "Clouds Over Sidra," |
这段影片称为「浮云笼罩锡德拉,」 |
and it was made in conjunction with our virtual reality company called VRSE and the United Nations , and a co-collaborator named Gabo Arora. |
和虚拟实境公司 VRSE 以及联合国一起制作, 还有一位合作者,名叫加博·阿罗拉。 |
in conjunction with:连同,共同;与…协力; United Nations:n.联合国;
|
And we went to a Syrian refugee camp in Jordan in December and shot the story of a 12-year-old girl there named Sidra. |
我们于十二月拜访了一个位于约旦叙利亚难民营 并拍摄了一个 12 岁小女孩名叫锡德拉的故事。 |
Syrian:adj.叙利亚的;叙利亚人的;叙利亚语的;n.叙利亚人;叙利亚语; refugee:n.难民;避难者;逃亡者;v.避难;adj.避难的;
|
And she and her family fled Syria through the desert into Jordan and she's been living in this camp for the last year and a half. |
她与她的家人逃离了叙利亚,穿过沙漠来到了约旦 住在这个难民营已一年半了。 |
fled:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的过去分词和过去式)
|
(Video) Sidra: My name is Sidra. |
(影片)锡德拉:我叫锡德拉。 |
I am 12 years old. |
今年十二岁。 |
I am in the fifth grade. |
我上五年级。 |
I am from Syria, in the Daraa Province, Inkhil City. |
我来自叙利亚达拉省,印基尔市。 |
I have lived here in the Zaatari camp in Jordan for the last year and a half. |
我居住在这里,约旦的扎塔里营地,已经有一年半了。 |
I have a big family: three brothers, one is a baby. |
我有一个大家庭: 3 个兄弟,其中一个是婴儿。 |
He cries a lot. |
他经常哭。 |
I asked my father if I cried when I was a baby and he says I did not. |
我问爸爸我小时候是不是也经常哭,他说没有。 |
I think I was a stronger baby than my brother. |
我认为我比我弟弟更坚强。 |
CM: So, when you're inside of the headset . |
克里斯·米尔克:因此,当你戴上这个装置时, |
headset:n.耳机;头戴式受话器;
|
you're not seeing it like this. |
你看到的不会是这样。 |
You're looking around through this world. |
而是透过这构建的世界去看。 |
You'll notice you see full 360 degrees, in all directions. |
你会注意到,你看到的景象是360 度全方位的世界。 |
And when you're sitting there in her room, watching her, you're not watching it through a television screen, you're not watching it through a window, you're sitting there with her. |
你坐在她的房间里,看着她, 你不是透过一个电视萤幕看到她, 也不是透过窗户,你是真实地与她坐在一起。 |
When you look down, you're sitting on the same ground that she's sitting on. |
当你向下看的时候,你会发现你与她坐在同一块地板上。 |
And because of that, you feel her humanity in a deeper way. |
正因为如此, 你可以更深地体会到她的人性, |
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
|
You empathize with her in a deeper way. |
你与她有更深层次的情感交流。 |
empathize:vt.移情;神会;
|
And I think that we can change minds with this machine. |
我认为我们可以通过这个机器改变人的想法。 |
And we've already started to try to change a few. |
我们已经开始尝试进行小小的改变。 |
So we took this film to the World Economic Forum in Davos in January. |
因此,我们一月时将这个微电影带到了在达沃斯的世界经济大会, |
Economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; Forum:n.论坛,讨论会;法庭;公开讨论的广场;
|
And we showed it to a group of people whose decisions affect the lives of millions of people. |
我们向一组人展示 这些人他们的决定会影响数以百万人的生活。 |
And these are people who might not otherwise be sitting in a tent in a refugee camp in Jordan. |
这些人可能不会真的 坐在一个约旦的难民营帐篷里。 |
But in January, one afternoon in Switzerland, they suddenly all found themselves there. |
但是在一月的那个下午,就在瑞士, 他们发现自己已然身处那里。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And they were affected by it. |
他们被这打动了。 |
So we're going to make more of them. |
因此我们会制作更多。 |
We're working with the United Nations right now to shoot a whole series of these films. |
我们现在与联合国合作 去制作一系列的这样的电影。 |
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书;
|
We just finished shooting a story in Liberia . |
我们刚刚完成了一个在利比亚的拍摄, |
Liberia:n.利比里亚(西非国家);
|
And now, we're going to shoot a story in India. |
并即将前往印度。 |
And we're taking these films, and we're showing them at the United Nations to people that work there and people that are visiting there. |
我们会将这些拍摄的影片, 在联合国播放 给那些在那里工作的人和去那里参观的人看。 |
And we're showing them to the people that can actually change the lives of the people inside of the films. |
我们将这些 展示给了观众,这些观众有能力真正改变电影里的人的命运。 |
And that's where I think we just start to scratch the surface of the true power of virtual reality. |
我相信那就是我们的出发点 去真正接触虚拟现实的力量。 |
scratch the surface of:浅尝即止;
|
It's not a video game peripheral . |
这不是一个游戏机器, |
video game:n.电子游戏; peripheral:adj.外围的;次要的;(神经)末梢区域的;n.外部设备;
|
It connects humans to other humans in a profound way that I've never seen before in any other form of media. |
它将人与人以一种紧密的方式连接在一起 我从未从任何以往的媒介中发现。 |
profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的;
|
And it can change people's perception of each other. |
它可以改变人与人之间的感受 |
perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
|
And that's how I think virtual reality has the potential to actually change the world. |
这就是我为何相信 虚拟实境俱有改变现实世界的力量。 |
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
|
So, it's a machine, but through this machine we become more compassionate , we become more empathetic , and we become more connected. |
它是一个机器 但是透过它,我们变得更富有同情心 变得更能将心比心,变得更紧密。 |
compassionate:adj.慈悲的;富于同情心的;vt.同情;怜悯; empathetic:adj.移情作用的;同感的(等于empathic);
|
And ultimately , we become more human. |
最终变得更人性。 |
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究;
|
Thank you. |
谢谢大家。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |