返回首页

ChrisAnderson_2010G-_视频怎样鼓舞全球化的新创新_

If nothing else, at least I've discovered what it is we put our speakers through: sweaty palms , sleepless nights, a wholly unnatural fear of clocks. 即使没有其他贡献,至少我也发现了 我们让我们的讲演者经历了什么 手掌出汗, 不眠之夜 完全反常地害怕钟表
sweaty:adj.出汗的;吃力的;使人出汗的; palms:n.手掌,手心;棕榈植物(palm的复数);v.把…藏于手中(palm的第三人称单数); sleepless:adj.失眠的;不休息的;警觉的;永不停息的; wholly:adv.完全地;全部;统统; unnatural:adj.不自然的;反常的;不近人情的;
I mean, it's quite brutal . 我也觉得这真够残酷的。
brutal:adj.残忍的;野蛮的,不讲理的;
And I'm also a little nervous about this. 而且我为此而感到有点紧张
There are nine billion humans coming our way. 九十亿人正向我们走来
Now, the most optimistic dreams can get dented by the prospect of people plundering the planet. 就算是最乐观的梦想 也会在众人争夺地球资源的 图景中消弱
optimistic:adj.乐观的;乐观主义的; dented:v.使凹陷;使产生凹痕;损害,伤害;(dent的过去分词和过去式) prospect:n.展望;前景;希望;前途;v.勘探;探矿; plundering:n.抢夺;战利品;掠夺品;vt.掠夺;抢劫;侵吞;vi.掠夺;盗窃;
But recently , I've become intrigued by a different way of thinking of large human crowds, because there are circumstances where they can do something really cool. 但是最近, 当我换一种 角度来思考芸芸众生,我会感到很好奇 因为在某种特定的情况下 人们可以做出很酷的事情
recently:adv.最近;新近; intrigued:adj.感兴趣的; v.密谋; (intrigue的过去式和过去分词) circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
It's a phenomenon that I think any organization or individual can tap into. 并且我相信,任何一个组织或个人 都能从中学习到一些东西
phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物); organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
It certainly impacted the way we think about TED's future, and perhaps the world's future overall . 这确实影响了我们对TED未来发展的思考方式 或许说是对整个世界未来的思考方式
impacted:adj.压紧的;结实的;嵌入的;(人口)稠密的;v.装紧;挤满(impact的过去分词); overall:v.全部; n.外套; adj.全面的;
So, let's explore . 好吧,让我们一起探索一番
explore:v.探索:探测:探险:
The story starts with just a single person, a child, behaving a little strangely . 故事是从一个人开始的 一个行径古怪的孩子
behaving:v.表现:表现得体:有礼貌:(behave的现在分词) strangely:adv.奇怪地;奇妙地;不可思议地;
This kid is known online as Lil Demon . 这个孩子的网名是 LIL Demon
Demon:n.恶魔;魔鬼;精力充沛的人;邪恶的事物;
He's doing tricks here, dance tricks, that probably no six-year-old in history ever managed before. 他在玩耍一些技巧,舞蹈技巧 这恐怕是有史以来6岁的孩子从未做过的事情
How did he learn them? 那他是怎样学的呢
And what drove him to spend the hundreds of hours of practice this must have taken? 又是什么激励着他花了几个百个小时练习呢? 他一定花了不少时间
Here's a clue . 这是一个线索
clue:n.提示;迹象;(纵横填字谜、游戏或问题的)提示词语;v.提示;为…提供线索;
(Video) Lil Demon: ? Step your game up. Oh. Oh. ? (视频) Lil Demon: 把你的游戏提升一步,噢, 噢
? Step your game up. Oh. Oh. ? 把你的游戏提升一步,噢, 噢
Chris Anderson: So, that was sent to me by this man, a filmmaker , Jonathan Chu, who told me that was the moment he realized the Internet was causing dance to evolve . 克里斯 安德生:那是这个人寄给我的 他是一位制片人,叫Jonathan Chu 他说,那个短片让他认识到 互联网在加速舞蹈表演技艺的演化
filmmaker:n.电影制作人;电影摄制者; evolve:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;
This is what he said at TED in February. 这是他两月份在TED大会上说的
In essence , dancers were challenging each other online to get better; incredible new dance skills were being invented; even the six-year-olds were joining in. 说到底 跳舞者在用网络互相切磋,改进舞蹈的技艺 一些令人难以置信的新技巧因此被发明 甚至连6岁的孩子都会加入
In essence:本质上;其实;大体上; incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
It felt like a revolution . 它仿佛是一种革命
revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
And so Jon had a brilliant idea: 于是Jon想到了一个好主意
He went out to recruit the best of the best dancers off of YouTube to create this dance troupe -- 他到YouTube上去招募最好 跳舞演员 组成了一个舞蹈团
recruit:n.新兵; v.吸收(新成员); (通过招募)组成; troupe:n.剧团;一班;一团;vi.巡回演出;
The League of Extraordinary Dancers, the LXD. 叫“卓越舞蹈家舞蹈团”,简称LXD
League:n.联赛;联盟;协会;种类;v.(使)结盟;(使)联合[团结];一鼻孔出气;组成联盟; Extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
I mean, these kids were web-taught, but they were so good that they got to play at the Oscars this year. 这些孩子就是网络自学成才的 而他们太棒了,今年受邀在奥斯卡颁奖仪式上表演
And at TED here in February, their passion and brilliance just took our breath away. 两月份在TED也做了演出 他们的激情和智慧让我们屏息
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; brilliance:n.光辉;才华;宏伟;
So, this story of the evolution of dance seems strangely familiar . 奇怪的是, 这个舞蹈 演变的故事 似乎听来耳熟
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
You know, a while after TEDTalks started taking off, we noticed that speakers were starting to spend a lot more time in preparation. 你们知道, 当TED演讲视频得到广泛传播之后 我们注意到我们的演讲者 开始花费大量的精力来做准备
It was resulting in incredible new talks like these two. 象这两个精彩的演讲就是这种努力的结晶
... Months of preparation crammed into 18 minutes, raising the bar cruelly for the next generation of speakers, with the effects that we've seen this week. 几个月的准备 浓缩在18分钟里 毫不留情地给下一轮演讲者抬高了标杆 而结果我们也在这个星期里看到了
crammed:adj.塞满的;挤满的;v.把…塞进;挤满;塞满;(cram的过去分词和过去式) cruelly:adv.残酷地;非常;
It's not as if J.J. and Jill actually ended their talks saying, "Step your game up," J.J 和Jill并没有 在她们的表演最后说:把你们的水平再抬高点
but they might as well have. 但是她们其实已经这么做了
might as well:不妨,何妨;还是…的好;
So, in both of these cases, you've got these cycles of improvement , apparently driven by people watching web video. 所以通过这两个例子 你都可以发现这样循环提高的现象 而激励着这种进步发生的 竟是网络视频的观众
improvement:n.改进,改善; apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上;
What is going on here? 这到底是怎么回事?
Well, I think it's the latest iteration of a phenomenon we can call "crowd-accelerated innovation ." 我想我们可以把这个最新的渐进的想象叫作 “群体加速创新”
iteration:n.[数]迭代;反复;重复; innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
And there are just three things you need for this thing to kick into gear . 只需要三样东西就可以使得这类事情发生
gear:n.齿轮; v.适合;
You can think of them as three dials on a giant wheel . 你可以把这它们 看作是大转盘上的三个转纽
giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 wheel:车轮,转动
You turn up the dials, the wheel starts to turn. 你旋转转纽,转盘就转了
And the firs thing you need is ... a crowd, a group of people who share a common interest. 你第一需要的是:人群 一群有同样兴趣追求的人
firs:n.枞; (fir的复数)
The bigger the crowd, the more potential innovators there are. 人群越大 其中蕴藏的创新者的可能性越大
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; innovators:n.创新者;发明家签证;革新消费者(innovator的复数形式);
That's important, but actually most people in the crowd occupy these other roles. 这很重要,然而事实上人群里的大多数人 扮演了另外的角色
occupy:v.占据,占领;居住;使忙碌;
They're creating the ecosystem from which innovation emerges . 他们创造了一个生态系统 一个孕育创新的环境
ecosystem:n.生态系统; emerges:vi.浮现;摆脱;暴露;
The second thing you need is light. 你需要的第二样东西是聚光灯
You need clear, open visibility of what the best people in that crowd are capable of, because that is how you will learn how you will be empowered to participate . 你需要将人群里最棒的人做的最棒的事情 以一种清晰而且公开的方式展示出来 因为这样你才能向他们学习 并且这样才能鼓励你自己参与其中
visibility:n.可见性;能见度;能见距离 capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的; empowered:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;(empower的过去分词和过去式) participate:v.参加;参与;
And third, you need desire. 第三,你要一种欲望
You know, innovation's hard work. 大家知道, 创新是一项艰苦的工作
It's based on hundreds of hours of research, of practice. 往往需要上百小时的研究和练习
Absent desire, not going to happen. 没有欲望, 就不会有创新
Absent:adj.缺席的;缺少的;心不在焉的;茫然的;v.使缺席;
Now, here's an example -- pre-Internet -- of this machine in action. 这就是一个列子:互联网之前 当这台机器还没有启动前
Dancers at a street corner -- it's a crowd, a small one, but they can all obviously see what each other can do. 街舞者聚集在街角 这是一小群人 他们显然可以看见彼此在做什么
And the desire part comes, I guess, from social status , right? 我猜, 欲望就由此产生 为了提高身价, 是吧?
status:n.地位;状态;情形;重要身份;
Best dancer walks tall, gets the best date. 最好的街舞者的知名度高走, 能交到最好的女友
There's probably going to be some innovation happening here. 这里面一定会有创新应运而生
But on the web, all three dials are ratcheted right up. 然后在网上 三个转盘的指针都指向了最高值
ratcheted:n.棘轮;棘齿;vt.安装棘轮于;松脱;
The dance community is now global . 于是舞蹈社群就全球化了
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
There's millions connected. 一个跳舞的社区可能会有上百万人,并且大家是连结在一起的
And amazingly, you can still see what the best can do, because the crowd itself shines a light on them, either directly, through comments, ratings , email, Facebook, Twitter, or indirectly , through numbers of views, through links that point Google there. 令人惊奇的是 你还是能看见他们中最棒的在干什么 因为人群会给他们套上光环点亮他们 直接的方法如:提供评论,评分 电子邮件, Facebook,Twitter, 或者间接的, 通过点击数量 通过谷歌的链接
ratings:n.评级;等级(rating的复数形式); indirectly:adv.间接地;不诚实;迂回地; Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
So, it's easy to find the good stuff , and when you've found it, you can watch it in close-up repeatedly and read what hundreds of people have written about it. 所以找到好东西很容易 而你找到了以后,你可以仔细重复地观看 读成百人写的评论
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: close-up:n.[电影]特写镜头,特写;小传; repeatedly:adv.反复地;再三地;屡次地;
That's a lot of light. 这个聚光灯效应非常大
But the desire element is really dialed way up. 同时欲望这个转盘 也爬升到一个很高的数值上
element:n.元素;要素;原理;成分;自然环境;
I mean, you might just be a kid with a webcam , but if you can do something that goes viral , you get to be seen by the equivalent of sports stadiums crammed with people. 也许你只是一个小孩,你有个摄像头 但假如你可以做一个动作,并且可以在网上广泛流程 那么就会有成千上万的人在看你 就像人们在大型体育场看比赛一样
webcam:n.网络摄像头; viral:adj.滤过性毒菌引起的;滤过性毒菌的; equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物; stadiums:n.体育馆;露天大型运动场(stadium的复数);
You get hundreds of strangers writing excitedly about you. 还有数百个陌生人兴奋地评论你
excitedly:adv.兴奋地;激动地;
And even if it's not that eloquent -- and it's not -- it can still really make your day. 即使它不是什么值得吹嘘, 它也能让你一天感觉良好
eloquent:adj.意味深长的;雄辩的,有口才的;有说服力的;动人的;
So, this possibility of a new type of global recognition , 我想,这种能够被全球众多人群认可的机会 正在成为很多人努力的一大动力
recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可;
I think, is driving huge amounts of effort. 并且这是前所未有的
And it's important to note that it's not just the stars who are benefiting: because you can see the best, everyone can learn. 重要的是并不只是明星们才得益 因为每个人都能看到最好的, 每个人都能从中学习
Also, the system is self-fueling. 而且, 这个系统是会自我完善
It's the crowd that shines the light and fuels the desire, but the light and desire are a lethal one-two combination that attract new people to the crowd. 是人群为创新者点亮了聚光灯,助长了后者创新的欲望 而聚光灯和欲望二者如此致命的结合 吸引了新的人群
lethal:adj.致命的,致死的;n.致死因子; combination:n.结合;组合;联合;[化学]化合;
So, this is a model that pretty much any organization could use to try and nurture its own cycle of crowd-accelerated innovation. 这个,就是一个模型 在一个任何组织都可以运用的 他们可以用这个来尝试培育自己的 “群体加速创新”
nurture:v.养育;培养;养护;支持;
Invite the crowd, let in the light, dial up the desire. 邀请围观者,打开聚光灯 还有是激发欲望
And the hardest part about that is probably the light, because it means you have to open up, you have to show your stuff to the world. 而其中最难的大概就是聚光灯了 这意味着你要公开 你要向世界展示你的东西
It's by giving away what you think is your deepest secret that maybe millions of people are empowered to help improve it. 你需要把你认为最深藏不露的秘密拿出来 授权给成百万的人 来提高它
And, very happily, there's one class of people who really can't make use of this tool. 而很高兴的是, 有一班人 真的没法使用这种工具
make use of:使用,利用;
The dark side of the web is allergic to the light. 网络黑暗的一面 是对光线过敏的
allergic:adj.对…过敏的;对…极讨厌的;
I don't think we're going to see terrorists, for example, publishing their plans online and saying to the world, "Please, could you help us to actually make them work this time?" 比如, 我想我们不会看见恐怖分子 在网上公开他们的计划对世界说 “请你们帮助我们完成 恐怕活动,行吗?
But you can publish your stuff online. 但是你可以在网上发表你的 东西
publish:v.出版;发表;公布;
And if you can get that wheel to turn, look out. 而你如果可以使得你的轮子转起来 那你就等着瞧好吧。
So, at TED, we've become a little obsessed with this idea of openness . 所以, 在TED 我们已经变得非常公开了
obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词) openness:n.公开;宽阔;率真;
In fact, my colleague , June Cohen, has taken to calling it " radical openness," 事实上,我的同事, June Cohen, 开始称之为:”激进地开放”
colleague:n.同事,同僚; radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的;
because it works for us each time. 因为对我们来说,每次这么做都很有效
We opened up our talks to the world, and suddenly there are millions of people out there helping spread our speakers' ideas, and thereby making it easier for us to recruit and motivate the next generation of speakers. 我们把我们的演讲视频向世界公开 突然有成百万的人帮着我们 传播演讲者的思想 于是我们的工作变得容易起来 我们因此可以招募和鼓动下一批演讲者
thereby:adv.从而,因此;在那附近;在那方面; motivate:v.激励;激发;成为…的动机;是…的原因;
By opening up our translation program, thousands of heroic volunteers -- some of them watching online right now, and thank you! -- have translated our talks into more than 70 languages, thereby tripling our viewership in non-English-speaking countries. 当我们开放了我们的翻译项目 上千名无名英雄,自愿者 他们中的一些现在正在观看,谢谢你们 他们将讲座翻译 成了70多个语言 使得我们在非英语国家的收视提高了3倍
opening up:n.解禁;开放;供开发;启用; heroic:adj.英雄的;英勇的;记叙英雄及其事迹的;夸张的;n.史诗;英勇行为; volunteers:n.志愿者; v.自愿做; (volunteer的第三人称单数和复数) tripling:v.成为三倍;使增至三倍;(triple的现在分词) viewership:n.电视观众的总称; non-English-speaking:不讲英语的;不说英语的;非讲英语国家;
By giving away our TEDx brand , we suddenly have a thousand-plus live experiments in the art of spreading ideas. 我们开始批准使用TEDx品牌后 我们突然有了上千个TEDx会议 为人们提供了传播思想的现场
brand:v.铭刻于,铭记;打烙印于;印…商标于;n.商标,牌子;烙印;
And these organizers , they're seeing each other, they're learning from each other. 这些组织者 我们看得见对方,他们互相学习
organizers:n.主办单位,组织者(organizer的复数形式);
We are learning from them. 我们也向他们学习
We're getting great talks back from them. 他们从他们那里得到很多出色的演讲
The wheel is turning. 轮子正运转着
Okay, step back a minute. 好, 让我们稍微退一步
I mean, it's really not news for me to tell you that innovation emerges out of groups. 创新实际上是来自于群体的 这个已经不是新闻了
You know, we've heard that this week -- this romantic notion of the lone genius with the " eureka !" moment that changes the world is misleading . 这个星期我们就听到过 那种一个孤独的天才说一句:“我发现啦!” 从而在瞬间改变了世界的浪漫想法 是误导的
romantic:adj.浪漫的;爱情的;n.浪漫的人;耽于幻想的人; notion:n.观念;信念;理解; genius:n.天才;天资;才能,本领; eureka:int.有了!;找到了!; misleading:adj.误导的;引入歧途的;v.误导;引入歧途;使误信;(mislead的现在分词)
Even he said that, and he would know. 即便他怎么说了, 他也知道
We're a social species . 我们是社会物种
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
We spark off each other. 我们互相激发
spark:n.火花;电火花;火星;活力;v.引发;触发;冒火花;飞火星;
It's also not news to say that the Internet has accelerated innovation. 说网络加速了 创新并不是什么新闻
accelerated:v.(使)加速;加速;加快(accelerate的过去分词和过去式)
For the past 15 years, powerful communities have been connecting online, sparking off each other. 在过去的15年里 强大的社群在网络上链接 互相激发
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) sparking:n.发火花;点火;v.导致(spark的现在分词);发出火星;使大感兴趣;
If you take programmers, you know, the whole open-source movement is a fantastic instance of crowd-accelerated innovation. 拿软件程序员来说 整个开放源代码的运动 就是群体加速创新的精彩典型
open-source:adj.(计算机)开放源代码; fantastic:奇异的,空想的 instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例;
But what's key here is, the reason these groups have been able to connect is because their work output is of the type that can be easily shared digitally -- a picture, a music file, software. 而这里关键是 这些群体之所以可以链接起来 是因为他们的作品是 可以用数字方式共享的产品 例如照片, 音乐文件 和软件
output:n.(人、机器、机构的)产量;输出;输出功率;输出量;v.输出; digitally:adv.数位;
And that's why what I'm excited about, and what I think is under-reported , is the significance of the rise of online video. 这也是为什么我感到兴奋的原因 我认为网络视频 崛起没有收到媒体的 足够报道
under-reported:报道少; significance:n.意义;重要性;意思;
This is the technology that's going to allow the rest of the world's talents to be shared digitally, thereby launching a whole new cycle of crowd-accelerated innovation. 这一技术 允许全球有聪明才智的人得以用数字化的手法交流 因而将群体加速创新推入了 一个新的循环
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; launching:n.发射;开办;起飞;v.开始从事,发起,发动;(launch的现在分词)
The first few years of the web were pretty much video-free, for this reason: video files are huge; the web couldn't handle them. 最初几年的网络 几乎没什么视频 因为视频文件太大, 网络无法处理
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
But in the last 10 years, bandwidth has exploded a hundredfold . 然而最近的10年 带宽翻了百倍
bandwidth:n.[电子][物]带宽;[通信]频带宽度; exploded:adj.分解的; v.爆炸; (explode的过去分词和过去式) hundredfold:n.百倍;adj.百倍的;
Suddenly, here we are. 突然,我们就看到了今天的景象
Humanity watches 80 million hours of YouTube every day. 人们一天要看8千万小时的YouTube.
Humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
Cisco actually estimates that, within four years, more than 90 percent of the web's data will be video. 思科估计,四年内 九成以上的网络数据会是视频
Cisco:n.加拿大白鲑(一种青鱼);Cisco公司(是企业网络产品的全球领先供应商); estimates:n.估计;估价;估计的成本;v.估价;估算(estimate的第三人称单数和复数)
If it's all puppies , porn and piracy , we're doomed . 如果那些数据都是玩物, 色情和盗版 我们就完蛋了
puppies:n.小狗(puppy的复数); porn:n.淫秽作品;色情书刊(或音像制品等)(等于pornography); piracy:n.海盗行为;剽窃;著作权侵害;非法翻印; doomed:adj.注定的;命定的;v.使…注定失败(doom的过去分词和过去式)
I don't think it will be. 我不相信会这样
Video is high-bandwidth for a reason. 视频之所以需要宽频
It packs a huge amount of data, and our brains are uniquely wired to decode it. 是因为它带有大量的数据 而我们的大脑拥有特殊解读它的功能
uniquely:adv.独特地;珍奇地; decode:vt.[计][通信]译码,解码;vi.从事破译工作;
Here, let me introduce you to Sam Haber. 这里,让我来为你们介绍Sam Haber
He's a unicyclist. 他是一个独轮车手
Before YouTube, there was no way for him to discover his sport's true potential, because you can't communicate this stuff in words, right? 在YouTube之前 他没有其他办法来发现 这项运动真正的潜力 因为你不能用文字来交流,是吧?
But looking at video clips posted by strangers, a world of possibility opens up for him. 但是你们看看陌生人上传的视频片段 给他打开了一个新的世界
clips:n.夹子; v.夹住;
Suddenly, he starts to emulate and then to innovate . 突然, 他开始模仿, 然后创造
emulate:vt.仿真;模仿;尽力赶上;同…竞争;n.仿真;仿效; innovate:vi.创新;改革;革新;vt.改变;创立;创始;引人;
And a global community of unicyclists discover each other online, inspire each other to greatness . 全球的独轮车手都通过网络建立了一个 社区互相激发创造新的奇迹
inspire:v.激发;鼓舞;启示;产生;使生灵感; greatness:n.伟大;巨大;
And there are thousands of other examples of this happening -- of video-driven evolution of skills, ranging from the physical to the artful . 而这样由网络视频驱使促进技能发展 的事例成千上万 从物理到艺术
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; artful:adj.巧妙的;狡猾的;有技巧的;欺诈的;
And I have to tell you, as a former publisher of hobbyist magazines, 我不得不告诉你 我之前是做杂志的,做的是关于业余爱好的杂志
publisher:n.出版者,出版商;发行人; hobbyist:n.业余爱好者;沉溺于某嗜好之人;
I find this strangely beautiful. 我发现这很奇妙
I mean, there's a lot of passion right here on this screen. 我是说, 这个屏幕上充满了热情
But if Rube Goldberg machines and video poetry aren't quite your cup of tea, how about this. 但是如果你对魯布·戈德堡机器 或视频诗没兴趣 看看这个怎样?
Rube Goldberg:adj.结构过于复杂的;不实用的; poetry:n.诗;诗意,诗情;诗歌艺术;
Jove is a website that was founded to encourage scientists to publish their peer-reviewed research on video. Jove 是一个网站 它鼓励科学家们通过发布录像 来交流互相评审的 研究成果
peer-reviewed:n.同行评议;同行审阅;
There's a problem with a traditional scientific paper. 传统的科学报告有个问题
traditional:传统的,惯例的, scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
It can take months for a scientist in another lab to figure out how to replicate the experiments that are described in print. 通常另一个实验室的科学家需要 花好几个月才能按照打印出来的 步骤复制实验成果
replicate:vt.复制; vi.重复; adj.复制的; n.复制品; described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式)
Here's one such frustrated scientist, 这里就有一个很受挫的科学家
frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词)
Moshe Pritsker, the founder of Jove. Jove的创始人Moshe Pritsker
founder:vi.失败;沉没;倒塌;变跛;vt.破坏;使摔倒;垮掉;n.创始人;建立者;翻沙工;
He told me that the world is wasting billions of dollars on this. 他告诉我这个世界在这个上面 浪费了上亿的资金
But look at this video. 但是你看看这段录像
I mean, look: if you can show instead of just describing , that problem goes away. 我是说:如果你可以展示 而不是书面描述 这个问题就不存在了
describing:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的现在分词)
So it's not far-fetched to say that, at some point, online video is going to dramatically accelerate scientific advance. 所以我们已经不是牵强附会地在这里宣称 某一天 网络视频会戏剧性地加速科学研究的发展
far-fetched:adj.强词夺理的;太牵强了; dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地;
Here's another example that's close to our hearts at TED, where video is sometimes more powerful than print -- the sharing of an idea. 这里是另外一个例子 这个更接近TED的核心 就是视频比印刷品更 能帮助分享思想
Why do people like watching TEDTalks? 大家为什么看TED演讲
All those ideas are already out there in print. 这种思想其实已经在印刷品中传播过
It's actually faster to read than to view. 阅读比看录像还快写
Why would someone bother ? 为什么大家还要来听TED演讲呢
bother:v.烦扰,打扰;使…不安;操心,麻烦;n.麻烦;烦恼;
Well, so, there's some showing as well as telling. 那是因为讲述中还夹带了展示
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
But even leaving the screen out of it, there's still a lot more being transferred than just words. 但是即便我们撇开屏幕不谈 这些演讲传递的东西还是超越了词语本身
transferred:v.(使)转移,搬迁;(使)调动;(transfer的过去分词和过去式)
And in that non-verbal portion , there's some serious magic. 那些不用语言传递的部分内涵着值得重视的神奇
non-verbal:adj.非语言的;非用言语的; portion:n.部分;(食物的)一份;分担的责任;v.把…分成若干份(或部分);
Somewhere hidden in the physical gestures , the vocal cadence , the facial expressions , the eye contact , the passion, the kind of awkward , British body language , the sense of how the audience are reacting , there are hundreds of subconscious clues that go to how well you will understand, and whether you're inspired -- light, if you like, and desire. 它们隐藏在动作中 在语言的韵律中,在面部表情中 在眼神的交流中 激情 以及那种尴尬的,英国佬的身体语言 对观众的反馈的感知 那里面包涵了上百种潜在的暗示 影响着你如何理解 如何接受启发 或者说如何被点亮 产生渴望
gestures:n.手势; v.做手势; (gesture的第三人称单数和复数) vocal:adj.嗓音的;发声的;大声表达的;直言不讳的;n.(乐曲中的)歌唱部分; cadence:n.节奏;韵律;抑扬顿挫; facial:adj.面部的,表面的;脸的,面部用的;n.美容,美颜;脸部按摩; expressions:表达,表情(expression的复数) contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系; awkward:adj.尴尬的;笨拙的;棘手的;不合适的; body language:n.身势语; reacting:v.起反应;(对…)作出反应;回应;(react的现在分词) subconscious:adj.潜意识的;下意识的;n.潜在意识;下意识心理活动; clues:n.(调查,研究等的)线索;迹象;(故事的)关键情节;(clue的复数) inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
Incredibly , all of this can be communicated on just a few square inches of a screen. 不可思议的是,这一切都可以通过 几英寸大小的屏幕传递和交流
Incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
Reading and writing are actually relatively recent inventions. 读和写其实是相对新的 发明
relatively:adv.相当程度上;相当地;相对地;
Face-to-face communication has been fine-tuned by millions of years of evolution. 面对面的交流经历了百万年 的进化和改善
Face-to-face:adj.面对面的;当面的;adv.面对面地; fine-tuned:vt.调整;使有规则;对进行微调;
That's what's made it into this mysterious , powerful thing it is. 形成了这种神奇的, 有力的交流方式
mysterious:adj.神秘的;不可思议的;难解的;
Someone speaks, there's resonance in all these receiving brains, the whole group acts together. 某个人发表讲话 在这些听众中得到共鸣 整个团体一起合作
resonance:n.[力]共振;共鸣;反响;
I mean, this is the connective tissue of the human superorganism in action. 我是说, 这是好象是将独立的个体 联系在一起的组织
connective:adj.连合的,连接的;n.连接词;连接物; tissue:n.纸巾,手巾纸;(人、动植物细胞的)组织; superorganism:n.超个体(指群居昆虫等的群体);
It's probably driven our culture for millennia . 这很可能会对我们的文化带来上千年的影响
millennia:n.千年期(millennium的复数);一千年;千年庆典;太平盛世;
500 years ago, it ran into a competitor with a lethal advantage . 500年前, 它曾遭遇 到一个有致命优势的竞争对手
advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点:
It's right here. 这就是
Print scaled . 印刷
scaled:adj.有鳞的; v.刮去鳞片;
The world's ambitious innovators and influencers now could get their ideas to spread far and wide , and so the art of the spoken word pretty much withered on the vine . 现在世界上有雄心的创造者和有影响力的人 都能使他们的想法传播到遥远的地方 因此, 口语的艺术 曾经如同凋萎的蔷薇
ambitious:adj.野心勃勃的;有雄心的;热望的;炫耀的; influencers:n.影响者;有影响力的人(influencer的复数); far and wide:adv.广泛地;到处; spoken word:n.口头说的话; withered:adj.枯萎的; v.干枯; (wither的过去分词和过去式) vine:n.藤;葡萄树;藤本植物;攀缘植物;vi.长成藤蔓;爬藤;
But now, in the blink of an eye , the game has changed again. 但现在转眼之间 游戏改变了
in the blink of an eye:熄灭;在一瞬间;眨眼之间;眨眼间;一眨眼间;
It's not too much to say that what Gutenberg did for writing, online video can now do for face-to-face communication. 不用多说 这是古腾堡对写作作出的贡献 网络视频现在可以实现面对面的传播
So, that primal medium , which your brain is exquisitely wired for ... 这是更原始的媒介 人们的大脑原来就是特别为之构造的
primal:adj.原始的; n.被压抑童年情绪的释放; vt.释放(被压抑的童年情绪); medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的; exquisitely:adv.精致地;精巧地;敏锐地;
that just went global. 而现在它全球化了
Now, this is big. 现在, 它突然壮大了
We may have to reinvent an ancient art form. 也许我们要从小发明这门古老的艺术
reinvent:v.以新形象示人;以新形式出现;
I mean, today, one person speaking can be seen by millions, shedding bright light on potent ideas, creating intense desire for learning and to respond -- and in his case, intense desire to laugh. 我是说,今天, 一个人的发言 可以传播到百万人那里 给潜在的思想打上光亮 激发强烈的愿望 去学习, 去呼应 而对他而言, 强烈地愿望去欢笑
shedding:v.去除;摆脱;使落下;掉落(货物);(shed的现在分词) intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的; respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和;
For the first time in human history, talented students don't have to have their potential and their dreams written out of history by lousy teachers. 在人类历史上第一次 具有天赋的学生 不在需要他们糟糕的老师来书写 他们的潜质和梦想
lousy:adj.非常糟的;极坏的;恶劣的;
They can sit two feet in front of the world's finest. 他们可以在两尺外坐在世界上最好的老师前学习
Now, TED is just a small part of this. TED 只是其中的一小部分
I mean, the world's universities are opening up their curricula . 世界上的大学正在公开他们的课程
curricula:n.课程(curriculum的复数形式);
Thousands of individuals and organizations are sharing their knowledge and data online. 成千上万的个人和组织 在网上分享他们的知识和数据
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
Thousands of people are figuring out new ways to learn and, crucially , to respond, completing the cycle. 成千上万的人们在发现 新的学习途径,更重要的是 他们通过反馈,帮助完成了整个循环
crucially:adv.关键地;至关重要地;
And so, as we've thought about this, you know, it's become clear to us what the next stage of TED's evolution has to be. 所以我们想 事实越来越清晰的表明 TED的下一步发展会是什么
TEDTalks can't be a one-way process , one-to-many. TED演讲不应该是单向的,一对多的形式
one-way:adj.单程的;单行道的;单方面的; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
Our future is many-to-many. 我们的未来是多对多的
So, we're dreaming of ways to make it easier for you, the global TED community, to respond to speakers, to contribute your own ideas, maybe even your own TEDTalks, and to help shine a light on the very best of what's out there. 所以我们在考虑创造一些渠道 使得全球的TED社群可以方便的 互相与讲演者对话 去持续发展你自己的思想 甚至你自己的TED讲话 帮助照亮那些最棒的东西
contribute:v.贡献,出力;投稿;捐献;
Because, if we can bubble up the very best from a vastly larger pool, this wheel turns. 因为,如果我们可以使最好的 东西在巨大的池子里凸显,冒泡 这个轮子就转起来了
bubble:n.泡;气泡;肥皂泡;一点感情;v.起泡;冒泡;洋溢着(某种感情); vastly:adv.极大地;广大地;深远地;
Now, is it possible to imagine a similar process to this, happening to global education overall? 我们可以想象 一个和这个相似的过程 在全球的教育范围内发生
I mean, does it have to be this painful , top-down process? 我是说, 有必要搞得这么痛苦吗 需要由上至下吗?
painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的; top-down:adj.[计]自顶向下;组织管理严密的;
Why not a self-fueling cycle in which we all can participate? 为什么不能是一个自行循环 我们都能参与其中?
It's the participation age, right? 这是一个参与的时代,不是吗?
participation:n.参与;分享;参股;
Schools can't be silos . 学校不再是孤立的
silos:n.筒仓;粮仓;贮仓(silo的复数);
We can't stop learning at age 21. 我们不能到了21岁就不学了
What if , in the coming crowd of nine billion ... 如果, 滚滚而来的九十亿人群
What if:如果…怎么办?
what if that crowd could learn enough to be net contributors , instead of net plunderers ? 都能学着成为 贡献者 而不是掠夺者?
contributors:n.贡献者;参与者;编著者(contributor的复数形式); plunderers:n.掠夺者;盗贼;
That changes everything, right? 这会改变一切,是吗?
I mean, that would take more teachers than we've ever had. 我是说, 这个世界可以拥有前所未有的很多老师
But the good news is they are out there. 好消息是,他们就在那里
They're in the crowd, and the crowd is switching on lights, and we can see them for the first time, not as an undifferentiated mass of strangers, but as individuals we can learn from. 他们在人群中 而人群把聚光灯打开 第一次, 我们可以看见他们了 从一群无法分辨的陌生人中找到他们 如果我们可以从个体中学到东西
undifferentiated:adj.无差别的;一致的; mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集;
Who's the teacher? 那么谁是老师呢?
You're the teacher. 我们就是老师
You're part of the crowd that may be about to launch the biggest learning cycle in human history, a cycle capable of carrying all of us to a smarter, wiser, more beautiful place. 我们是人群中的一部分 我们很可能在帮助 启动人类历史上最大的学习大循环 这个大循环可以容纳我们所有的人 引领我们走到一个跟聪明, 智慧, 美丽的地方
Here's a group of kids in a village in Pakistan near where I grew up. 这是在巴基斯坦的一个小村庄 靠近我长大的地方
Within five years, each of these kids is going to have access to a cellphone capable of full-on web video and capable of uploading video to the web. 在5年利, 这些孩子都能链接到 一个带有视频的手机网络 他们可以上传视频
cellphone:n.蜂窝式便携无线电话;大哥大; full-on:adj.最典型的;最强烈的; uploading:v.上载;上传;(upload的现在分词)
I mean, is it crazy to think that this girl, in the back, at the right, in 15 years, might be sharing the idea that keeps the world beautiful for your grandchildren? 我是说,真的很难想象这个女孩 后排的这个, 右边的, 在15年中 可以分享她的想法来使世界变得更加美好 为子孙后代生存的世界造福
It's not crazy; it's actually happening right now. 这不是逛想,这些事情正在发生
I want to introduce you to a good friend of TED who just happens to live in Africa's biggest shantytown . 我象向你们介绍TED的一个好朋友 他住在非洲最大的贫民窟基贝拉
shantytown:n.以临时搭盖的陋屋为主的地区;
(Video) Christopher Makau: Hi. My name is Christopher Makau. (影片)Christopher Makau: 我叫 Christopher Makau
I'm one of the organizers of TEDxKibera. 我是 TEDxKibera的组织人之一
There are so many good things which are happening right here in Kibera. 现在的基贝拉, 有些好事情正在发生
There's a self-help group. 有个自助的团体
self-help:n.自助;自救;自立;adj.自助的;
They turned a trash place into a garden. 他们把垃圾改造成花园
trash:n.垃圾;废物;v.丢弃;修剪树枝;
The same spot, it was a crime spot where people were being robbed. 这个地方曾经是犯罪聚点 人们在这里遭抢劫
They used the same trash to form green manure . 他们把同样的垃圾 打造成绿肥
green manure:n.绿肥;
The same trash site is feeding more than 30 families. 同样的垃圾场 现在可以喂养30个家庭
We have our own film school. 我们有自己的电影学校
They are using Flip cameras to record, edit , and reporting to their own channel, 他们用摄影 纪录,编辑 并报导他们的生活
Flip:n.浏览;空翻;轻抛;捻掷;v.迅速翻动;按(开关);按(按钮);开(或关)(机器等); edit:v.编辑;剪辑;编纂;编选;n.编辑[校订]工作;
Kibera TV. 基贝拉电视
Because of a scarcity of land, we are using the sacks to grow vegetables, and also [we're] able to save on the cost of living . 由于缺乏土地资源 我们用袋子种菜 用事,我们也可以降低生活成本
scarcity:n.不足;缺乏; sacks:n.麻布袋; v.解雇; (sack的第三人称单数和复数) cost of living:adj.生活费的;
Change happens when we see things in a different way. 转播我们看待事物的不同方式
Today, I see Kibera in a different way. 今天我们以不同的眼光来看待基贝拉
My message to TEDGlobal and the entire world is: 我给TEDGlobal 和全世界的讯息是
Kibera is a hotbed of innovation and ideas. 基贝拉是个 充满创新与想法的温床
hotbed:n.滋长地,温床;
(Applause) (掌声)
CA: You know what? 你们知道吗?
I bet Chris has always been an inspiring guy. 我打赌Chris一直都是个激励人心的家伙
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿; inspiring:adj.鼓舞人心的;灌输的;v.鼓舞;激发;使感悟;(inspire的现在分词)
What's new -- and it's huge -- is that, for the first time, we get to see him, and he can see us. 值得注意是,并且这个很重要 这是我们第一次见到他 而且他也能看见我们
Right now, Chris and Kevin and Dennis and Dickson and their friends are watching us, in Nairobi, right now. 现在, Chris, Kevin, Dennis, Dickson, 与他们的朋友 都在看着我们, 在奈洛比(肯亚首度),就是现在
Guys, we've learned from you today. 各位 今天, 我们从你们的身上学到了许多
Thank you. 谢谢
And thank you. 谢谢你们
(Applause) (掌声)