返回首页

ChikaEzeanyaEsiobu_2017G-_非洲如何用自身的传统知识来取得进展_

Some months back, I was visiting this East African city, and we were stuck in traffic. 几个月之前,我造访了 一个东非的城市, 塞车让我们被卡在车阵中。
And this vendor suddenly approaches my window with a half-opened alphabet sheet . 有个小贩突然靠近我的车窗, 拿着一张打开一半的字母表。
vendor:n.卖主;小贩;[贸易]自动售货机; approaches:v.靠近,接近; n.方式,方法,态度; sheet:n.薄板;床单;纸张;报纸;v.覆盖;展开;给…铺床单;铺开;adj.片状的;
I took a quick look at the alphabet sheet, and I thought of my daughter, how it would be nice to spread it on the floor and just play all over it with her while getting her to learn the alphabet. 我快速看了一眼这张字母表, 我想起了我的女儿, 如果能把这张表摊在地板上, 和她在上面玩耍, 同时能让她学会字母,该有多好?
So the traffic moved a bit, and I quickly grabbed a copy, and we moved on. 车阵开始有在动了, 所以我很快就买了一份, 我们就继续前进。
grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式)
When I had time to fully open the alphabet sheet and take a more detailed look at it, 当我有空把这张字母表完全打开, 并更仔细地去看它时,
I knew I was not going to use that to teach my daughter. 我就知道我不会用它 来教我女儿字母了。
I regretted my purchase . 我很后悔买了它。
purchase:n.购买;采购;购买的东西;购买项目;v.购买;采购;
Why so? 为什么会这样?
Looking at the alphabet sheet reminded me of the fact that not much has changed in the education curricula in Africa. 看着这张字母表, 我想起了一件事实, 非洲的教育课程 并没有多少改变。
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式) curricula:n.课程(curriculum的复数形式);
Some decades back, I was taught out of a similar alphabet sheet. 几十年前,我也是用 类似的字母表在学习的。
And because of that, I struggled for years. 正因如此,我挣扎了很多年。
struggled:v.奋斗;努力;争取;艰难地行进;抗争;(struggle的过去式和过去分词)
I struggled to reconcile my reality with the formal education I received in school, in the schools I attended. 我很难把现实和在学校受的正规教育 对应连结起来。
reconcile:v.使和谐一致;调和;使配合;使和解;妥协; formal:adj.适合正式场合的; n.(美)须穿礼服的社交集会; (口)夜礼服;
I had identity crises . 我有身份危机。
identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式; crises:n.危机,紧要关头;危险期(crisis的复数形式);
I looked down on my reality. 我轻视我的现实。
I looked at my ancestry , I looked at my lineage with disrespect . 我看待我的血统、出身时, 是带着轻蔑的。
ancestry:n.祖先;血统; lineage:n.血统;家系,[遗]世系; disrespect:n.无礼,失礼,不敬;
I had very little patience for what my life had to offer around me. 对于周遭人生能带给我什么, 我非常没耐心去了解。
patience:n.耐性,耐心;忍耐,容忍;
Why? 为什么?
'"A is for apple." 「A 代表苹果」。 (注:苹果 apple 是 A 开头)
'"A is for apple." 「A 代表苹果」。
'"A is for apple" is for that child in that part of the world where apples grow out; who has an apple in her lunch bag; who goes to the grocery store with her mom and sees red, green, yellow -- apples of all shapes and colors and sizes. 「A 代表苹果」是说给 他们的便当袋中有苹果, 他们和妈妈去杂货店时会看到红色、 绿色、黄色……各种 形状、颜色、大小的苹果。
grocery:n.食品杂货店;食品杂货;
And so, introducing education to this child with an alphabet sheet like this fulfills one of the major functions of education, which is to introduce the learner to an appreciation of the learner's environment and a curiosity to explore more in order to add value. 所以,对于像这样的孩子, 用这张字母单来教育他们, 确能实现一些教育的重要功能, 这些功能是:让学习者学会 欣赏和感念他的周遭环境, 并能够有好奇心去 进一步探索,来增加价值。
fulfills:v.实现;履行;执行;符合;具备;(fulfill的第三人称单数) appreciation:n.升值;欣赏;感谢;增值; curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩; explore:v.探索:探测:探险:
In my own case, when and where I grew up in Africa, apple was an exotic fruit. 在我自己的情况, 我在非洲长大的地方,在那个年代, 苹果是外来水果。
exotic:adj.异国的;外来的;异国情调的;
Two or three times a year, 一年有两、三次,
I could get some yellowish apples with brown dots, you know, signifying thousands of miles traveled -- warehouses , sorting -- to get to me. 我可以拿到黄色的苹果, 上面有褐色斑点,你知道的, 象征它经过数千英哩的 旅程、仓储、分类, 才来到我手上。
yellowish:adj.微黄色的,淡黄色的; signifying:v.表示;说明;预示;显示;要紧;(signify的现在分词) warehouses:n.仓库,货栈;货仓;(warehouse的名词复数)
I grew up in the city to very financially comfortable parents, so it was my dignified reality, exactly the same way cassava fufu or ugali would not regularly feature in an American, Chinese or Indian diet, apples didn't count as part of my reality. 我在城市长大, 父母经济上算优渥, 那是我有尊严的现实, 就像 美式、中式、印度式的食物通常不会 以木薯芙芙月或乌咖哩为号召一样, 苹果并不算是我的现实的一部份。
financially:adv.财政上;金融上; dignified:adj.端庄的; v.使有尊严; (dignify的过去分词和过去式) cassava:n.木薯(等于cassawa); ugali:n.玉米(或粟米)粉团; regularly:adv.经常地;有规律地;定期的
So what this did to me, introducing education to me with "A is for apple," 所以,这对我的影响, 用「A 代表苹果」的方式 来让我接触教育,
made education an abstraction . 让教育变得很抽象。
abstraction:n.抽象;出神;心神专注;提取;分离;
It made it something out of my reach -- a foreign concept, a phenomenon for which I would have to constantly and perpetually seek the validation of those it belonged to for me to make progress within it and with it. 教育已非我触手可及, 而是一个外来的概念, 是一种现象,且我得要 经常地且无止境地 去向这概念所属的人寻求验证, 我才能在这种教育学习中有所进步。
phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物); constantly:adv.不断地;时常地; perpetually:adv.永恒地,持久地; seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求; validation:n.确认;批准;生效;
That was tough for a child; it would be tough for anyone. 那对孩子来说是很艰难的; 对任何人来说都是。
As I grew up and I advanced academically , my reality was further separated from my education. 随着我成长以及在学术上进步, 我的现实与教育之间的落差又更大了。
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) academically:adv.学术上;学业上;
In history, I was taught that the Scottish explorer Mungo Park discovered the Niger River. 历史方面,我被教导的是 苏格兰探险家蒙戈帕克 发现了尼日河。
explorer:n.探险者;勘探者;考察者; Mungo:n.再制呢绒;
And so it bothered me. 那让我感到困扰。
bothered:adj.烦(恼)的; v.使(某人)烦恼;
My great-great-grandparents grew up quite close to the edge of the Niger River. 我的曾曾祖父长大的地方 很靠近尼日河畔。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And it took someone to travel thousands of miles from Europe to discover a river right under their nose? 竟然需要一个人 从欧洲跋涉数千英哩, 去发现一条就在眼前的河流?
(Laughter) (笑声)
No! 不会吧!
(Applause and cheers) (掌声及欢呼声)
What did they do with their time? 他们把时间拿来做什么了?
(Laughter) (笑声)
Playing board games, roasting fresh yams , fighting tribal wars? 玩桌上游戏、烤新鲜山芋、 打部落战争?
roasting:adj.用于烘焙的;燥热的;v.烘烤;烘焙;严厉批评;(roast的现在分词) yams:n.[园艺]山药;洋芋;蕃薯(yam的复数); tribal:adj.部落的;部族的;n.(尤指南亚的)部落成员;
I mean, I just knew my education was preparing me to go somewhere else and practice and give to another environment that it belonged to. 我的意思是,我知道我受的教育 是准备将来为我所用,去别处, 用在这教育原本归属的另一个地方,
It was not for my environment, where and when I grew up. 而不是为用在我成长的环境准备的。
And this continued. 这现象持续下去,
This philosophy undergirded my studies all through the time I studied in Africa. 这教育原理贯穿、固定了 整个我在非洲所受教育的底部。
philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观; undergirded:vt.加强;从底层加固;
It took a lot of experiences and some studies for me to begin to have a change of mindset . 我经过了很多的经历并做了些研究, 才得以开始改变我的心态。
mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
I will share a couple of the remarkable ones with us. 我会和各位分享其中很棒的几个。
remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的;
I was in the United States in Washington, DC studying towards my doctorate , and I got this consultancy position with the World Bank Africa Region . 当我在美国的华盛顿特区 攻读我的博士学位, 我得到了世界银行 非洲地区的顾问职位。
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) doctorate:n.博士学位;博士头衔; consultancy:n.咨询公司;顾问工作; World Bank:n.世界银行(向处于困境需要资助的成员国贷款的国际机构); Region:n.地区;范围;部位;
And so I remember one day, my boss -- we were having a conversation on some project, and he mentioned a particular World Bank project, a large-scale irrigation project that cost millions of dollars in Niger Republic that was faltering sustainably . 记得有一天, 我和老板讨论某个专案计画, 他提到了一个特别的 世界银行专案计画, 一个要花费数百万元, 这个专案渐渐失去动力。
large-scale:adj.大规模的,大范围的;大比例尺的; irrigation:n.灌溉;[临床]冲洗;冲洗法; faltering:adj.蹒跚的;犹豫的;支吾的;v.支吾地说,蹒跚地走(falter的现在分词); sustainably:adv.支撑得住;能保持住地;
He said this project wasn't so sustainable , and it bothered those that instituted the whole package. 他说,这个计画并不永续, 使得那些创制此一计画的人很伤脑筋。
sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的; instituted:v.建立,制定;开始;实行(institute的过去分词和过去式)
But then he mentioned a particular project, a particular traditional irrigation method that was hugely successful in the same Niger Republic where the World Bank project was failing. 他接着提到另一个特别的专案计画, 同样在尼日,世界银行 专案计画失败的地方, 这个使用传统灌溉方法的 计画却大为成功。
traditional:传统的,惯例的,
And that got me thinking. 那就让我开始思考。
So I did further research, and I found out about Tassa. 所以我进一步研究, 我发现了「Tassa」,
Tassa is a traditional irrigation method where 20- to 30-centimeter-wide and 20- to 30-centimeter-deep holes are dug across a field to be cultivated . Tassa 是一种传统的灌溉方法, 要挖 20~30 公分宽、 20~30 公分深的洞, 且在整个要耕作的田地都要挖满洞。
cultivated:adj.栽培的; v.栽培; (cultivate的过去式和过去分词)
Then, a small dam is constructed around the field, and then crops are planted across the surface area. 接着要在田地周围建造一个小水坝, 再把作物种在整个表面区域。
constructed:v.修建;建造;组成;编制,绘制;(construct的过去分词和过去式)
What happens is that when rain falls, the holes are able to store the water and appropriate it to the extent that the plant needs the water. 原理是,当降雨的时候, 这些洞可以储存雨水, 并依据植物对水的需要来分配水。
appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出; extent:n.程度;范围;长度;
The plant can only assimilate as much water as needed until harvest time. 植物只会吸收它们需要的水量, 就这样直到收获时节。
assimilate:v.透彻理解;消化;吸收;
Niger is 75 percent scorched desert, so this is something that is a life-or-death situation, and it has been used for centuries. 尼日有 75% 都是炎热的沙漠, 所以这是个攸关生死的情况, 这个方法已经用了数个世纪。
scorched:n.烧焦,烤焦;焦头烂额;v.使烧焦;使枯萎(scorch的过去分词);adj.烧焦的; life-or-death:adj.生死攸关的;
In an experiment that was conducted , two similar plots of land were used in the experiment, and one plot of land did not have the Tassa technique on it. 在一项实验中, 使用了两块类似的土地, 在其中一块土地上 没有使用 Tassa 技术,
conducted:v.组织;安排;实施;执行;指挥;带领;引导;(conduct的过去分词和过去式) plots:n.情节; v.划分; technique:n.技巧,技术;手法;
Similar plots. 另一块类似的土地
The other one had Tassa technique constructed on it. 用了 Tassa 技术,
Then similar grains of millet also were planted on both plots. 在两块土地上种植小米。
grains:n.谷物;颗粒;细粒;少量;一点儿;(grain的复数) millet:n.小米;粟;稷;黍的子实;
During harvest time, the plot of land without Tassa technique yielded 11 kilograms of millet per hectare . 在收获时节, 没有用 Tassa 技术的那块土地 每公顷收成了 11 公斤的小米;
yielded:v.出产(作物);提供;屈服;让步;放弃;(yield的过去分词和过去式) hectare:n.公顷(等于1万平方米);
The plot of land with Tassa technique yielded 553 kilograms of millet per hectare. 有用 Tassa 技术的那块土地 每公顷收成了 553 公斤的小米。
(Applause) (掌声)
I looked at the research, and I looked at myself. 我看着研究,看着我自己。
I said, "I studied agriculture for 12 years, from primary to Senior Six, as we say in East Africa, 我研究农業长达 12 年之久, 在我们东非的说法 是从小学到中学六年,
Senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人;
SS3 in West Africa or 12th grade. 而在西非则是 SS3 或十二年级。
No one ever taught me of any form of traditional African knowledge of cultivation -- of harvesting, of anything -- that will work in modern times and actually succeed, where something imported from the West would struggle to succeed. 学校从来没教过我 任何一种能被成功地用在现代非洲的 传统非洲耕作知识, 不管是收获知识或其他的耕作知识; 而来自的西方的耕作方式 却苦苦挣扎,难以在非洲成功。
cultivation:n.培养;耕作;耕种;教化;文雅;
That was when I knew the challenge, the challenge of Africa's curricula, 那时,我知道了挑战是什么, 非洲课程的挑战是什么。
And I thus began my quest to dedicate my life, concern my life work, to studying, conducting research on Africa's own knowledge system and being able to advocate for its mainstreaming in education, in research, policy across sectors and industries. 因此,我开始了我的追寻, 将我的一生致力于 研究非洲自己本身的知识系统, 并且提倡它,让它能在 主流教育、学术、 政策等领域被大多数人所接受, 能跨部门也能跨产業被接受。
quest:n.追求;寻找;vi.追求;寻找;vt.探索; dedicate:vt.致力;献身;题献; concern:v.涉及,关系到;使担心;n.关系;关心;关心的事; conducting:v.组织;安排;实施;指挥;引导;导游(conduct的现在分词) advocate:v.拥护;支持;提倡;n.支持者;提倡者;辩护律师;出庭辩护人; mainstreaming:n.主流化;回归主流; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; sectors:n.部门; v.把…划成扇形;
Another conversation and experience I had at the bank 我在银行的另一段对话和经历,
I guess made me take that final decision of where I was going to go, even though it wasn't the most lucrative research to go into, but it was just about what I believed in. 让我对于人生的方向 算是做出了终于决定, 虽然我选择的研究领域 并不能幫我赚大钱, 但那是我相信的领域。
lucrative:adj.有利可图的,赚钱的;合算的;
And so one day, my boss said that he likes to go to Africa to negotiate World Bank loans and to work on World Bank projects. 所以有一天,我的老板说, 他喜欢去非洲 商谈世界银行贷款的事, 及处理世界银行的专案计画。
negotiate:v.谈判,商议;转让;越过;
And I was intrigued . I asked him why. 我很好奇,我问他为什么?
intrigued:adj.感兴趣的; v.密谋; (intrigue的过去式和过去分词)
He said, "Oh, when I go to Africa, it's so easy. 他说:「喔,当我去非洲, 是很轻鬆的。
I just write up my loan documents and my project proposal in Washington, DC, 我只要在华盛顿特区写好 贷款文件及专案计画提案书,
proposal:n.提议,建议;求婚;
I go to Africa, and they all just get signed. 去非洲,让所有文件被签名即可。
I get the best deal, and I'm back to base. 我拿到最好的合同, 然后我就可以回基地了。
My bosses are happy with me." 我的老板都对我很满意。」
But then he said, "I hate going to Asia or ..." 但接着他说:「我讨厌去亚洲。」
and he mentioned a particular country, Asia and some of these countries. 他提到了某个特定国家, 亚洲,及其中一些国家。
'"They keep me for this, trying to get the best deal for their countries. 「他们会拖着我,试图为 他们国家拿到最好的合同。
They get the best deal. 他们得到最好的合同。
They tell me, 'Oh, that clause will not work for us in our environment. 他们告诉我:『喔,那条条文不行, 在我们的环境行不通。
clause:n.子句;从句;分句;(法律文件的)条款;
It's not our reality. It's just so Western.' 不符合现实。太西式了。』
And they tell me, 'Oh, we have enough experts to take care of this. 他们还告诉我:『 喔,我们有足够的专家 来处理这事。
You don't have enough experts. 你没有足够的专家。
We know our aim.' 我们知道我们自己的目标。』
And they just keep going through all these things. 他们不断仔细研究这些东西。
By the time they finish, yes, they get the best deal, but I'm so exhausted and I don't get the best deal for the bank, and we're in business." 等他们结束了,是的, 他们拿到了最好的合同, 但我累死了,而且我没有 为银行拿到最好的合同, 而我们是在做生意。」
exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式)
'"Really?" I thought in my head, "OK." 「真的?」我脑中在想:「好吧。」
I was privileged to sit in on a loan negotiating session in an African country. 我很幸运可以参与一场贷款协商会, 它在一个非洲国家举行。
privileged:adj.有特权的; v.给予特权; (privilege的过去式和过去分词) negotiating:v.谈判;磋商;协商;商定;达成协议;(negotiate的现在分词) session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会;
So I would do these consultancy positions during summer, you know, since I was a doctoral student. 在夏天时,我会做这些顾问的职务, 你知道的,因为我是博士生。
doctoral:adj.博士的;博士学位的;有博士学位的;n.博士论文;
And then I traveled with the team, with the World Bank team, as more like someone to help out with organizational matters. 接着我和团队一起旅行, 和世界银行团队一起旅行, 我比较像是协助处理组织事务的人。
organizational:adj.组织的;编制的;
But I sat in during the negotiating session. 但在协商会的时候我可以列席。
I had mostly Euro-Americans, you know, with me from Washington, DC. 和我同行的多半是来自 华盛顿特区的欧美裔人士。
And I looked across the table at my African brothers and sisters. 我看向桌子的对面, 那边坐的是我的非洲兄弟姐妹。
I could see intimidation on their faces. 我看得见他们脸上被吓住的表情。
intimidation:n.恐吓,威胁;
They didn't believe they had anything to offer the great-great-grandchildren of Mungo Park -- the owners of "apple" in "A is for apple." 他们不认为他们有什么可提供给 坐在面前的那些蒙戈帕克后裔。 「A 代表苹果」中 「苹果」的拥有者。
They just sat and watched: "Oh, just give us, let us sign. 他们只是坐着看:「喔, 给我们就好,让我们签。
You own the knowledge. You know it all. 你们拥有知识。你们全知。
Just, where do we sign? Show us, let us sign." 只要告诉我们在哪签字。 指出来,我们签字。」
They had no voice. They didn't believe in themselves. 他们没有声音。他们不相信自己。
Excuse me. 对不起。
And so, 所以,
I have been doing this for a decade. 十年来我都在做这件事。
I have been conducting research on Africa's knowledge system, original , authentic , traditional knowledge. 我都在研究非洲的知识系统, 原始的、真实的、传统的知识。
original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的; authentic:adj.真正的,真实的;可信的;
In the few cases where this has been implemented in Africa, there has been remarkable successes recorded. 在已经被导入这个系统的 少数非洲案例中, 结果非凡地成功。
implemented:v.使生效;贯彻;执行;实施;(implement的过去式和过去分词)
I think of Gacaca. 我会想到加卡卡。
Gacaca is Rwanda's traditional judicial system that was used after the genocide . 加卡卡是卢安达的 传统司法审判体制, 从大屠杀之后就在使用。
judicial:adj.公正的,明断的;法庭的;审判上的; genocide:n.种族灭绝;灭绝整个种族的大屠杀;
In 1994, when the genocide ended, 在 1994 年,大屠杀结束之后,
Rwanda's national court system was in shambles : no judges, no lawyers to try hundreds of thousands of genocide cases. 卢安达的国家法庭体制摇晃不稳: 没有法官、没有律师来审理 成千上百的大屠杀案件。
shambles:v.蹒跚;拖着脚走;(shamble的第三人称单数)
So the government of Rwanda came up with this idea to resuscitate a traditional judicial system known as Gacaca. 所以卢安达的政府想出了一个点子, 重新恢复使用一个传统的 司法审判体制,加卡卡。
resuscitate:v.使复苏;使复兴;
Gacaca is a community-based judicial system, where community members come together to elect men and women of proven integrity to try cases of crimes committed within these communities . 加卡卡是个以社区为基础 的司法审判体制, 社区的成员聚集在一起, 选出被证实很廉正的男人及女人, 来审理在这些社区内 犯下的犯罪案件。
community-based:adj.社区的;以社区为基础的; integrity:n.完整;正直;诚实;廉正; committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式) communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
So by the time Gacaca concluded its trial of genocide cases in 2012, 12,000 community-based courts had tried approximately 1.2 million cases. 到 2012 年加卡卡完成了 大屠杀案件的审理, 12,000 个以社区为基础的法庭, 审理完了近 120 万件案件。
concluded:v.断定:得出结论:终止:达成:缔结(协定)(conclude的过去分词和过去式) approximately:adv.大约,近似地;近于;
That's a record. 那是一项记录。
(Applause) (掌声)
Most importantly is that Gacaca emphasized Rwanda's traditional philosophy of reconciliation and reintegration , as against the whole punitive and banishment idea that undergirds present-day Western style. 最重要的是,加卡卡 强调卢安达的传统哲学, 调解与再融合, 而不是用现今西方模式立基的 惩罚性与禁止的想法。
emphasized:v.强调,着重(emphasize的过去式); reconciliation:n.和解;调和;和谐;甘愿; reintegration:n.重新整合; punitive:adj.惩罚性的;刑罚的; banishment:n.流放,充军;放逐; undergirds:vt.加强;从底层加固; present-day:adj.现代的;当今的;现在的;现时的;
And not to compare , but just to say that it really emphasized 我不是要做比较, 只是说加卡卡真的很强调
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较;
Rwanda's traditional method of philosophy. 卢安达的传统哲学方法。
And so it was Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, former president of Tanzania -- 是朱利叶斯尼雷尔, 坦尚尼亚的前任总统,
(Applause) (掌声)
who said that you cannot develop people. 他说,你无法发展人民。
People will have to develop themselves. 人们得要发展他们自己。
I agree with Mwalimu. 我同意前总统说的。
I am convinced that Africa's further transformation , Africa's advancement , rests simply in the acknowledgment , validation and mainstreaming of Africa's own traditional, authentic, original, indigenous knowledge in education, in research, in policy making and across sectors. 我相信, 非洲的进一步转变、非洲的进步, 要仰赖的是去承认、验证、 让大多数人接受 非洲自己的传统、真实、 原始、本土的知识, 在教育、研究、政策制订、 及跨各部门都要这么做。
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式) transformation:n.转变;(用于南非)民主改革; advancement:n.前进,进步;提升; acknowledgment:n.感谢;承认;承认书; indigenous:adj.本土的;土著的;国产的;固有的;
This is not going to be easy for Africa. 对非洲而言,这不容易做到。
It is not going to be easy for a people used to being told how to think, what to do, how to go about it, a people long subjected to the intellectual guidance and direction of others, be they the colonial masters, aid industry or international news media . 对于人民而言这也不容易做到, 因为他们习惯了被告知 要怎么做、要做什么、 如何养成习惯, 这些人民长期受到 其他知识份子的指引和指导, 他们顺从殖民主人, 那些援助产業或国际新闻媒体的人。
intellectual:n.知识分子;脑力劳动者;adj.智力的;脑力的;理智的;有才智的; colonial:n.殖民地居民;adj.殖民地的,殖民的; media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
But it is a task that we have to do to make progress. 但这是我们必须要努力进展的任务,
I am strengthened by the words of Joseph Shabalala, founder of the South African choral group Ladysmith Black Mambazo. 约瑟夫查巴拉拉的话让我找到力量, 他是南非唱诗团体 雷村黑斧合唱团的创办人。
Joseph:n.连帽大氅; founder:vi.失败;沉没;倒塌;变跛;vt.破坏;使摔倒;垮掉;n.创始人;建立者;翻沙工; choral:adj.合唱的;合唱队的;n.赞美诗;唱诗班;
He said that the task ahead of us can never, ever be greater than the power within us. 他说,我们眼前要面对的任务, 绝不可能比我们内在的力量更强大。
We can do it. 我们能做到。
We can unlearn looking down on ourselves. 我们可以舍弃看轻自己的想法。
unlearn:vt.忘却;抛掉以前的想法;去掉…的弊习;
We can learn to place value on our reality and our knowledge. 我们能学会将价值放在 我们的现实和知识上。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Swahili) Thank you very much. (斯华西里语)非常谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. Thank you. 谢谢。谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)