|
|
ChiekoAsakawa_2015S-_新技术如何帮助盲人探索世界_
|
You might think there are many things that I can't do because I cannot see. |
可能你们认为有许多事情是我不能完成的 因为我看不见 |
That's largely true. |
很大程度上来说,这是事实 |
largely:adv.主要地;大部分;大量地;
|
Actually, I just needed to have a bit of help to come up to the stage. |
比如像刚才我需要一些帮助 才能走上这个讲台 |
come up to:v.达到;等于;
|
But there is also a lot that I can do. |
但也有很多事情是我能够完成的 |
This is me rock climbing for the first time. |
这个,是我第一次攀岩 |
rock climbing:n.攀登岩壁;爬岩术;
|
Actually, I love sports and I can play many sports, like swimming, skiing, skating, scuba diving , running and so on. |
实际上我喜欢运动,我也能够完成很多运动 例如游泳,滑雪,溜冰,水肺潜水,跑步,等等。 |
scuba:n.水肺;水中呼吸器; diving:n.潜水;跳水;跳水运动;v.下潜;跳水;潜水;(dive的现在分词)
|
But there is one limitation : somebody needs to help me. |
但是总有一个限制: 我需要旁人的帮助。 |
limitation:n.限制;局限;限度;控制;
|
I want to be independent . |
我想要自己来做。 |
independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等);
|
I lost my sight at the age of 14 in a swimming pool accident. |
在我14岁的时候,一次游泳池里的意外让我丧失了视力 |
swimming pool:n.游泳池;游泳场;游泳馆;
|
I was an active, independent teenager, and suddenly I became blind. |
曾经的我是一个活泼和独立的人 然后却在一瞬间变成了盲人 |
The hardest thing for me was losing my independence . |
对我来说最困难的事情是失去了独立的能力 |
independence:n.独立;独立性;自恃心;独立不羁的精神;
|
Things that until then seemed simple became almost impossible to do alone. |
曾经看起来很简单的事情都变得几乎不可能完成一样 |
For example, one of my challenges was textbooks. |
举个例子,其中一个挑战就是读书 |
Back then, there were no personal computers, no Internet, no smartphones . |
在那个时候,没有个人电脑 没有网络,没有智能手机 |
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; smartphones:智能手机(smartphone的复数);
|
So I had to ask one of my two brothers to read me textbooks, and I had to create my own books in Braille . |
所以我不得不请求我其中一个哥哥来读给我听 并自己把书翻译成盲文 |
Braille:vt.用盲字印;n.布莱叶(法国盲人教育家);盲人用点字法;
|
Can you imagine? |
你能想象这个画面吗? |
Of course, my brothers were not happy about it, and later, I noticed they were not there whenever I needed them. |
当然,我的哥哥们对此并不乐意 后来我发现,每当我需要他们的时候他们就不见人影了 |
(Laughter) |
(笑) |
I think they tried to stay away from me. |
我想他们刻意离我远一点 |
I don't blame them. |
我并不责怪他们 |
I really wanted to be freed from relying on someone. |
我真心希望自己不需要依赖任何人 |
relying:v.依赖;信任;指望(rely的现在分词);
|
That became my strong desire to ignite innovation . |
这变成我想要带来创新最强大的动力 |
ignite:vt.点燃;使燃烧;使激动;vi.点火;燃烧; innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
|
Jump ahead to the mid-1980s. |
直到80年代中期 |
I got to know cutting-edge technologies and I thought to myself, how come there is no computer technology to create books in Braille? |
我见识到了先进的科技后 联想到了我自己 为什么没有一种电脑技术 能用来生成盲文书籍呢? |
cutting-edge technologies:尖端技术; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
These amazing technologies must be able to also help people with limitations like myself. |
这些令人惊叹的科技也应该能够用来帮助 像我一样有缺陷的人们 |
limitations:n.局限性;(限制)因素;边界(limitation的复数形式);
|
That's the moment my innovation journey began. |
那就是我创新历程的开端 |
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
|
I started developing digital book technologies, such as a digital Braille editor, digital Braille dictionary and a digital Braille library network. |
我开始开发电子书技术 比如电子盲文编辑器,电子盲文字典 和电子盲文图书网 |
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键;
|
Today, every student who is visually impaired can read textbooks, by using personal computers and mobile devices , in Braille or in voice. |
在今天,每一个有视力障碍的学生都能 通过个人电脑和移动设备 来阅读盲文或听有声读物 |
visually:adv.形象化地;外表上;看得见地; impaired:adj.受损的;v.损害(impair的过去式和过去分词); mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的; devices:n.[机][计]设备;[机]装置;[电子]器件(device的复数);
|
This may not surprise you, since everyone now has digital books in their tablets in 2015. |
你不会为此感到惊讶, 因为现在是2015年,每一个人的平板电脑里面都有电子书 |
tablets:n.药片;片剂;(固定于墙上作纪念的)牌,碑,匾;(tablet的第三人称单数和复数)
|
But Braille went digital many years before digital books, already in the late 1980s, almost 30 years ago. |
但是大约30年前,也就是80年代末, 电子盲文已经出现,这远早于电子书 |
Strong and specific needs of the blind people made this opportunity to create digital books way back then. |
盲人的这种强烈和特殊的需求 促成了早年电子书的发明 |
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药;
|
And this is actually not the first time this happened, because history shows us accessibility ignites innovation. |
而且这并不是第一次出现这样的发明 历史上就有为了方便残障人士启发了创新诞生的例子 |
accessibility:n.易接近;可亲;可以得到; ignites:点燃;燃烧;
|
The telephone was invented while developing a communication tool for hearing impaired people. |
电话的发明是为了开发一种 方便听力障碍人群交流的工具 |
Some keyboards were also invented to help people with disabilities . |
某些键盘也是为了帮助有残疾的人士而发明的 |
disabilities:n.残疾(disability的复数);身心障碍者;
|
Now I'm going to give you another example from my own life. |
现在我来告诉你们一个我生活中的例子。 |
In the '90s, people around me started talking about the Internet and web browsing . |
在90年代,我身边的人开始谈论 因特网和浏览网页 |
browsing:v.随便看看;浏览;翻阅;浏览信息;(browse的现在分词)
|
I remember the first time I went on the web. |
我记得第一次上网时 |
I was astonished . |
我惊呆了 |
astonished:adj.吃惊的;
|
I could access newspapers at any time and every day. |
我能够每天随时浏览报纸 |
I could even search for any information by myself. |
我甚至能通过我自己搜索到任何信息 |
I desperately wanted to help the blind people have access to the Internet, and I found ways to render the web into synthesized voice, which dramatically simplified the user interface . |
我迫切的想要帮助其他的盲人上网 我找到了能够把网页内容合成成声音的方法 这大大的简化了用户界面 |
desperately:adv.拼命地;绝望地;不顾一切地;极度地; render:v.提供;给予;提交;翻译;n.粉刷;[建](墙壁的)初涂;抹灰;精制油; synthesized:adj.合成的;综合的;v.合成(synthesize的过去分词);综合; dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地; simplified:v.简化; (simplify的过去式) interface:n.接口;人机界面;连接电路;v.连接;
|
This led me to develop the Home Page Reader in 1997, first in Japanese and later, translated into 11 languages. |
这使我在1997年开发了 首页阅读器 并从最开始的日语普及到了11种语言 |
Home Page:n.主页;首页;
|
When I developed the Home Page Reader, |
当我在开发 首页阅读器 的时候 |
I got many comments from users. |
我收到了许多来自于用户的建议 |
One that I strongly remember said, "For me, the Internet is a small window to the world." |
其中有一个我印象深刻,他说: 对我来说,网络是打开世界的窗口。 |
It was a revolutionary moment for the blind. |
这对于盲人来说是一个革新的时刻。 |
revolutionary:adj.革命性的;革命的;彻底变革的;n.改革者;革命者;
|
The cyber world became accessible , and this technology that we created for the blind has many uses, way beyond what I imagined. |
网络世界变得触手可及 并且有许多的用户使用我们这项本来是为盲人开发的技术 多到超过我的预想 |
cyber:adj.网络的,计算机的; accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的;
|
It can help drivers listen to their emails or it can help you listen to a recipe while cooking. |
它能够帮助司机阅读邮件 它能在你做饭的时候帮你阅读菜谱 |
recipe:n.食谱;方法;诀窍;烹饪法;
|
Today, I am more independent, but it is still not enough. |
今天,我变得更加独立了 但还远远不够 |
For example, when I approached the stage just now, I needed assistance. |
例如我刚刚要走上讲台的时候,我还是需要协助 |
approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式)
|
My goal is to come up here independently . |
我的目标是靠我自己走上来 |
independently:adv.独立地;自立地;
|
And not just here. |
而且不仅仅只是走上这个讲台 |
My goal is to be able to travel and do things that are simple to you. |
我的目标是去旅行,去完成对你们来说很容易的事情 |
OK, now let me show you the latest technologies. |
好了,现在让我来给你们展示一些最新的科技 |
This is a smartphone app that we are working on. |
这是我们目前正在开发的一个智能手机客户端 |
(Video) Electronic voice: 51 feet to the door, and keep straight. |
(视频)电子语音: 距离门口51英尺,直行 |
Electronic:adj.电子的;电子器件的;电子设备的;
|
EV: Take the two doors to go out. The door is on your right. |
电子语音:打开两扇门出去。门在你右边 |
EV: Nick is approaching . Looks so happy. |
电子语音:尼克正在朝你走来。他看起来很高兴。 |
approaching:v.靠近,接近;接洽;建议;要求;(approach的现在分词)
|
Chieko Asakawa: Hi, Nick! |
浅川智惠子:你好,尼克 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
CA: Where are you going? You look so happy. |
浅川智惠子:你要去哪儿?你看起来很开心 |
Nick: Oh -- well, my paper just got accepted. |
尼克: 啊,我的文章刚刚被接受啦 |
CA: That's great! Congratulations. |
浅川智惠子:真棒!祝贺你 |
Nick: Thanks. Wait -- how'd you know it was me, and that I look happy? |
尼克: 谢谢。等等,你怎么知道是我,并知道我很高兴的? |
(Chieko and Nick laugh) |
(浅川智惠子和 尼克 大笑) |
Man: Hi. |
路人:你好 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
CA: Oh ... hi. |
浅川智惠子:你好 |
EV: He is not talking to you, but on his phone. |
电子语音: 他没有跟你讲话,他在讲电话 |
EV: Potato chips . |
电子语音: 薯片。 |
chips:炸土豆条(chip的复数)
|
EV: Dark chocolate with almonds . |
电子语音: 杏仁黑巧克力。 |
Dark chocolate:n.黑巧克力; almonds:n.[食品]杏仁;杏仁粉(almond的复数);
|
EV: You gained 5 pounds since yesterday; take apple instead of chocolate. |
电子语音: 你比昨天重了5磅。你应该拿起苹果,放下巧克力。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
EV: Approaching. |
电子语音: 正在靠近 |
EV: You arrived. |
电子语音: 到达目的地 |
CA: Now ... |
浅川智惠子:现在。。。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Thank you. |
谢谢 |
So now the app navigates me by analyzing beacon signals and smartphone sensors and permits me to move around indoor and outdoor environments all by myself. |
所以现在这个应用通过分析 指标讯号和手机感应来引导我 并让我能够靠我自己在室内和之外 的环境间移动 |
navigates:导航;找到正确的行进方向;航行;绕过; analyzing:adj.分析的;v.分析(analyze的现在分词); beacon:n.灯塔; v.像灯塔般照耀; sensors:n.[自]传感器,感应器;感测器(sensor的复数); move around:v.走来走去;绕着…来回转; indoor:adj.(在)室内的;在户内进行的;在室内用的; outdoor:adj.户外的;露天的;
|
But the computer vision part that showed who is approaching, in which mood -- we are still working on that part. |
但是指示我谁在靠近,情绪如何的电脑视觉部分 我们还在努力改进 |
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; mood:n.情绪,语气;心境;气氛;
|
And recognizing facial expressions is very important for me to be social. |
这个面部表情识别功能对我的社交生活非常重要 |
recognizing:v.认识;认出;承认;接受,赞成(recognize的现在分词) facial:adj.面部的,表面的;脸的,面部用的;n.美容,美颜;脸部按摩; expressions:表达,表情(expression的复数)
|
So now the fusions of technologies are ready to help me see the real world. |
所以,现在科技的融合已经帮助我 看到了真实的世界 |
fusions:n.融合;混合(fusion的复数形式);
|
We call this cognitive assistance. |
我们称它为认知协助 |
cognitive:adj.认知的,认识的;
|
It understands our surrounding world and whispers to me in voice or sends a vibration to my fingers. |
它帮助我们理解我们周围的世界 并且通过语音或者手指的震动来告诉我 |
vibration:n.振动;犹豫;心灵感应;
|
Cognitive assistance will augment missing or weakened abilities -- in other words, our five senses. |
认知协助可以增强我们缺少或弱化的能力—— 换句话说,就是我们的五官 |
augment:vi.增加;增大;vt.增加;增大;n.增加;增大; weakened:v.(使)虚弱,衰弱;减弱;削弱;动摇;(weaken的过去分词和过去式)
|
This technology is only in an early stage, but eventually , I'll be able to find a classroom on campus , enjoy window shopping or find a nice restaurant while walking along a street. |
这种科技还在初级阶段 但最终,我能够找到校园里的一间教室 能够享受橱窗购物 或者在漫步的时候找到一间不错的餐厅 |
eventually:adv.最后,终于; campus:n.(大学)校园;大学,大学生活;校园内的草地;
|
It will be amazing if I can find you on the street before you notice me. |
在大街上我能够在你注意我之前就找到你,那将是多么让人惊讶 |
It will become my best buddy , and yours. |
它会变成我最好的伙伴,也会是你最好的伙伴 |
buddy:n.伙伴,好朋友;密友;小男孩;v.做好朋友,交朋友;
|
So, this really is a great challenge. |
所以,这真的是一个挑战 |
It is a challenge that needs collaboration , which is why we are creating an open community to accelerate research activities. |
一个需要合作的挑战 这个合作正是我们创造一个促进研究交流 的开放社区的目的 |
collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; accelerate:v.加快;加速;n.接受速成教育的学生;
|
Just this morning, we announced the open-source fundamental technologies you just saw in the video. |
就在今天早上,我们发布了开源的基础技术 就是你们刚刚在视频里面看到的 |
open-source:adj.(计算机)开放源代码; fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的;
|
The frontier is the real world. |
前沿就是真实的世界 |
The blind community is exploring this technical frontier and the pathfinder . |
盲人团体正在发掘这一技术的前沿 和探路者 |
exploring:v.探索:考察:探查;(explore的现在分词) technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的; pathfinder:n.探路者,探险者;开拓者,开创者;
|
I hope to work with you to explore the new era, and the next time that I'm on this stage, through technology and innovation, |
我希望和你们一起来探索这个新的纪元 也希望下次当我站在这个讲台上的时候 在科技和创新的帮助下 |
explore:v.探索:探测:探险:
|
I will be able to walk up here all by myself. |
我能够完全靠我自己 走到这里 |
Thank you so much. |
谢谢大家 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |