返回首页

CherylHolder_2020P-_气候变化、健康与贫困的关联_-

I arrived in the US from Kingston , Jamaica in the summer of '68. 1968 年夏天, 我从牙买加首都金斯敦来到美国。
My family of six crammed into a small, two-bedroom apartment in a three-story walk-up in Brooklyn. 我们一家六口挤在布鲁克林的 一间位于三楼的、 无电梯且狭小的两居室公寓。
The block had several children -- some spoke Spanish, some spoke English. 这个街区有几个孩子—— 他们有的讲西班牙语, 有的讲英语。
Kingston:n.金斯敦(牙买加首都); Jamaica:n.牙买加(拉丁美洲一个国家); crammed:adj.塞满的;挤满的;v.把…塞进;挤满;塞满;(cram的过去分词和过去式) two-bedroom:adj.双卧室的;n.双卧室; walk-up:adj.无电梯的;n.无电梯的公寓;
Initially , I wasn't allowed to play with them because, as my parents said, "Them too rambunctious " -- 最初我的父母不让我和他们玩, 因为他们说, “这些孩子太野了”——
(Laughter) (笑声)
so I could only watch them from my window. 所以我只能透过窗户看他们玩耍。
Rollerskating was one of their favorite activities. 溜旱冰是他们最喜欢的活动之一。
They loved hitching a ride at the back of the city bus, letting go of the rear bumper as the bus arrived at the bottom of the block in front of my building. 他们喜欢挂在城市公交车的尾部, 当公交车到达我家门口的 街区末端时, 松开抓住车后部保险杠的手。[00:40]
Initially:adv.最初,首先;开头; rambunctious:adj.难控制的;喧闹的;粗暴的;骚乱的; hitching:v.钩住,搭便车(hitch的ing形式);n.系留; rear:adj.后方的;后面的;n.后部;屁股;臀部;v.抚养;培养;饲养;用后腿直立; bumper:adj.丰盛的,丰富的;n.缓冲器,保险杆,减震物;vt.装满;为…祝酒;vi.干杯;
One day there was a new girl with them. 有一天,孩子中新来了一位女孩。
I heard the usual squeals of laughter interspersed with, "Mira, mira! 我听到了和平常一样的笑声里
Mira, mira!" 夹杂着叫声,“ Mira, mira!”
Spanish for, "Look, look!" 这在西班牙语里是 “快看,快看!” 的意思。
The group grabbed onto the back of the bus at the top of the block, and as they rolled down laughing and screaming, "Mira, mira, mira, mira," 那群孩子在街区前端 抓住一辆公交车尾部, 正当他们一边大笑一边叫着: “ Mira, mira, mira, mira ”
squeals:vt.告密;长声尖叫;vi.告密;尖声地说;n.尖叫声; interspersed:adj.点缀的;散置的;v.点缀(intersperse的过去式);散布; grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式)
the bus abruptly stopped. 公交车忽然停了。
The experienced riders adjusted and quickly let go, but the new girl lurched back and fell onto the pavement . 那些经验丰富的 “骑手” 快速调整姿势并松开了手, 然而,那个新来的女孩 向后倾斜摔向了人行道,
She didn't move. 她没有动。
The adults outside ran to help her. 四周的大人们跑过去帮她。
abruptly:adv.突然地;唐突地; riders:骑手;附文;扶手(rider的复数); adjusted:adj.调整过的,调节了的;v.调整;校正(adjust的过去分词); lurched:n.突然倾斜;蹒跚;挫折;vi.倾斜;蹒跚;vt.击败; pavement:n.路面;人行道;石板铺的地面;
The bus driver came out to see what had happened and call for an ambulance . 公交车司机下车查看发生了什么, 并叫了救护车。
There was blood coming from her head. 血从那个女孩的头上流淌下来。
She didn't open her eyes. 她没有睁开眼睛。
We waited for the ambulance, and waited, and everyone said, "Where is the ambulance? 我们等着救护车, 一直等着, 每个人都在问:“救护车在哪?
Where is the ambulance?" 救护车呢?”[01:35]
ambulance:n.救护车;
The police finally arrived. 最后,警察终于来到了现场。
An older black American man said, "Ain't no ambulance coming." 一个上了年纪的黑人说, “救护车根本不会来。”
He said it again loudly to the cop . 他又对着警察大声重复了这句话——
'"You know ain't no ambulance coming. “你们知道救护车根本不会来。
They never send no ambulance here." 他们从不派救护车来这里。”[01:49]
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; cop:v.遭受;忍受;注意到;n.警察;
The cop looked at my neighbors who were getting frustrated , lifted the girl into the patrol car and left. 警察们瞥了眼 我愤怒且沮丧的邻居们, 把女孩抬进巡逻车里, 便离开了。
I was 10 years old at the time. 我当时 10 岁。
I knew this wasn't right. 我知道这件事是错的。
I knew there was something more we could do. 我知道我们有能力做些什么。
The something I could do was become a doctor. 而我做的事是成为了一名医生。[02:06]
frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词) patrol:n.巡逻;巡逻队;侦察队;vt.巡逻;巡查;vi.巡逻;巡查;
I became an internist and committed my career to caring for those we often call the underserved , the vulnerable , like those neighbors I had when I first immigrated to America. 我成为了一位内科医师, 并把我的事业奉献给了 那些我们通常照顾不到的人, 容易受伤害的脆弱人群, 比如我刚移民到美国时, 遇见的那些邻居们一样。
During my early training years in Harlem in the '80s, 80 年代,我在哈莱姆接受培训时,
I saw a shocking increase in young men with HIV . 我看到了年轻男性 感染艾滋病的人数激增。
Then when I moved [to] Miami, 之后在我搬到迈阿密后,
I noticed HIV included women and children, primarily , poor black and brown people. 我意识到艾滋病患者 还包括妇女和孩子, 主要是贫困的黑人和棕色人种。[02:31]
internist:n.[内科]内科医生; committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式) career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; underserved:adj.服务不周到的;服务水平低下的; vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的; immigrated:v.(从外地)移居;移民;(immigrate的过去分词和过去式) Harlem:n.黑人住宅区(纽约的); HIV:n.艾滋病病毒; primarily:adv.首先;主要地,根本上;
Within a few years, an infection seen in a select population became a worldwide epidemic . 短短几年内, 特定人群中出现的感染 发展成了蔓延全世界的流行病。
Again I got the urge to do something. 我又有了做点什么的冲动。
Fortunately , with the help of activists and advocates and educators and physicians like me who treat the disease , we found a way forward. 幸运的是,在一些 活动家、拥护者、教育者, 和一些像我一样 治疗疾病的医生的支持下, 我们找到了一个前行的方法。
infection:n.感染;传染;(身体某部位的)感染;传染病; worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地; epidemic:n.流行病;蔓延;adj.传染病;流行性的; Fortunately:adv.幸运地; advocates:n.拥护者; vt.主张(advocate的第三人称单数); physicians:n.[内科]内科医生(physician的复数); treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
There was a massive education effort to reduce HIV transmission and provide legal protection for those with the disease. 人们投入了大量精力进行群众教育, 为了减少了艾滋病的传播, 并为艾滋病患者提供合法的保护。
There was a political will to make sure that as many patients as possible worldwide, regardless of ability to pay, could get access to medication . 还有政治意愿—— 确保世界范围内 尽可能多的艾滋病患者, 无论贫富 都可以得到治疗。
Within a couple of decades there were new treatments that transformed this life-threatening infection to a chronic disease, like diabetes . 几十年内,新的治疗方法出现了, 该方法能把危及生命的艾滋病 转变为诸如糖尿病的 慢性病。
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; transmission:n.传输;传染;播送;发射;广播;传动装置; legal:adj.法律的;合法的;法定的; patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数) regardless:adj.不管的; v.不顾后果地; medication:n.药;药物; treatments:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论;(treatment的复数) transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式) life-threatening:adj.威胁生命的; chronic:adj.慢性的;长期的;习惯性的; diabetes:n.糖尿病;多尿症;
Now there's a vaccine on the horizon . 现在还有望研究出疫苗。
Over the last five to seven years, 在过去五到七年里,
I've noticed a different epidemic among the patients in Florida, and it looks something like this. 我发现佛罗里达的病人中 出现了一种新的流行病, 看起来像是这样——
Ms. Anna Mae, a retired clerical worker living on a fixed income in Opa-locka, walked in for medication refills . 安娜 · 麦伊住在奥帕洛卡, 她退休了并有着稳定收入。 一天,她走进诊室开药。
vaccine:n.疫苗;牛痘苗;adj.疫苗的;牛痘的; horizon:n.地平线;(欲望、知识或兴趣的)范围; clerical:adj.书记的;牧师的;办事员的;n.牧师; refills:v.再装满; n.又一份同种饮料; (refill的第三人称单数和复数)
She had common chronic conditions of high blood pressure , diabetes, heart disease and asthma with overlapping chronic obstructive pulmonary disease -- 她患有常见的慢性病—— 高血压、糖尿病、 心血管病和哮喘, 她还同时患有
COPD.
Ms. Anna Mae was one of my more adherent patients, so I was surprised she needed refills of her breathing medicines earlier than usual. 安娜是我长期的病人, 她比往常来诊所 补充呼吸药物的时间要早, 所以我还挺意外的。
Towards the end of the visit, she handed me a Florida Power and Light form and asked me to sign it. 她临走时, 安娜递给我一张佛罗里达 电网公司的表签字。
blood pressure:n.[医]血压; asthma:n.[内科][中医]哮喘,气喘; overlapping:v.(物体)部分重叠,交叠;使部分重叠;(overlap的现在分词) obstructive:adj.阻碍的;妨碍的;n.妨碍物;障碍物; pulmonary:adj.肺的;有肺的;肺状的; adherent:n.信徒;追随者;adj.附着的;粘着的;
She was behind on her light bill. 她没能及时付电费。
This form allowed physicians to document serious medical conditions requiring equipment that would be impacted if the patient's electricity was disconnected . 这张表要求医生 列出严重的健康状况, 申明如果断了电, 患者的医疗器械会受到影响。
'"But Ms. Anna Mae," I said, "you don't use any medical devices for breathing. “但是安娜,” 我说, “你无需使用任何医疗器械协助呼吸。
I don't think you qualify ." 我不知道你是否符合要求。”
Further questioning revealed she had been using her air conditioner day and night because of the heat so she could breathe. 进一步询问后,我得知 安娜每时每刻都在使用空调, 因为天气太热, 不然她将难以呼吸。
impacted:adj.压紧的;结实的;嵌入的;(人口)稠密的;v.装紧;挤满(impact的过去分词); electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪; disconnected:adj.分离的; v.切断(煤气、水或电的供应); (disconnect的过去式和过去分词) devices:n.[机][计]设备;[机]装置;[电子]器件(device的复数); qualify:vt.限制;使具有资格;证明…合格;vi.取得资格,有资格; revealed:v.揭示;显示;露出;(reveal的过去分词和过去式) air conditioner:n.空调;
Needing to buy more asthma inhalers left her little money; she couldn't pay all the bills so it piled up. 需要购买哮喘吸入器的硬性需求 使她手头拮据, 所以她没钱支付那些电费, 于是账单便堆积起来了。
I filled out the form, but knowing she might be denied , 我填好表, 但知道她可能还是会被断电,
I also sent her to the social worker . 我把她送到了社会工作者那里。
Then there was Jorge, such a sweet, kind man who often gifted our clinic with some of the fruits he sold on the streets of Miami. 然后,还有乔治, 他是一个如此善良的人, 他经常给我们诊所送来 他在迈阿密路边卖的水果。
inhalers:n.[临床]吸入器;吸气者;滤气器;小口矮脚酒杯(inhaler的复数); piled:v.堆放;叠放;放置;装入;拥挤;(pile的过去分词和过去式) denied:v.否认;拒绝;否定;不承认;(deny的过去分词和过去式) social worker:n.社会工作者; gifted:adj.有天赋的;有才华的; clinic:n.诊所;临床实习;(医院的)门诊部;门诊时间;
He had signs of worsening kidney function whenever he worked days on end on those hot streets due to dehydration -- just not enough blood getting to the kidneys . 当他在炎热天气下卖水果时, 他常常因为脱水 只是肾脏缺少血液流通。
His kidneys worked much better whenever he took some days off. 每当他休息几天, 他肾脏的状况就会好很多。
But with no other support, what could he do? 但没有别的经济来源, 他还能怎么办呢?
As he says, " Rain or shine , cold or heat, I have to work." 他说:“无论晴雨冷热, 我都需要工作。”
worsening:n.恶化;变坏;adj.日益恶化的;v.恶化(worsen的ing形式);使变得更坏; dehydration:n.脱水; kidneys:n.[解剖]肾脏;转炉的附着物;肾形矿脉(kidney的复数); Rain or shine:不论晴雨,无论如何;
But the most damning case of all may be Ms. Sandra Faye Twiggs of Fort Lauderdale with COPD. 最倒霉的其实可能是 珊德拉 · 特威格斯小姐, 她也患有慢性阻塞肺病。
She was arrested after fighting with her daughter over a fan. 一次,她在和她女儿 争抢风扇后被逮捕。
On her release from jail , she returned to her apartment, coughed nonstop and died three days later. 她从监狱出来后, 回到了她的公寓, 咳个不停, 三天后去世了。
damning:adj.谴责的;诅咒的;可以定罪的;n.咒诅;v.该死,混账;谴责;(damn的现在分词) release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与; jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱; nonstop:adj.直达的;不休息的;不着陆的;n.直达车;adv.不休息地;
Here's what else I noticed: the data show allergy seasons are starting weeks earlier, nighttime temperatures are rising, trees are growing faster and mosquitos carrying dangerous diseases like Zika and dengue are showing up in areas they didn't exist before. 我还注意到了这些: 数据显示, 过敏高发期比平常早了几周, 夜间温度在上升, 树木长得更快了, 蚊子携带着危险病毒, 例如寨卡和登革热 出现在它们原先不存在的区域。
I also see signs of impending climate gentrification . 我还看到了气候中产阶层化的迹象。
That's when richer people move into poorer neighborhoods that are at higher elevation and less subject to flood damage from climate change. 这指的是相较富裕的人 搬进相较贫穷 且海拔较高的地区, 以免受气候变化带来的洪水破坏。
allergy:n.过敏症;反感;厌恶; nighttime:n.夜间;adj.夜间的;夜里发生的; mosquitos:n.蚊子(mosquito的变形); diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类; dengue:n.[内科]登革热; impending:adj.迫在眉睫的; v.(事件,危险等)逼近; (impend的现在分词) gentrification:n.下层住宅高档化;乡绅化; elevation:n.高地;海拔;提高;崇高;正面图;
Like in my patient Madame Marie who came in stressed and anxious, because she was evicted from her apartment in Miami's Little Haiti to make room for a luxury apartment complex 我的病人玛丽小姐 带着焦虑和不安来到诊所, 因为她被从自己迈阿密 小海地的公寓中驱逐出来, 以此为高级公寓群腾出空间。
whose developers understood that Little Haiti would not flood because it's ten feet above sea level . 开发商们都知道小海地不会闹洪水, 因为它高于海平面 10 英尺。
An undeniable , clear and consistent warming trend is on the way. 一股不可否认的、显而易见的, 持续的热浪正扑面而来。
evicted:v.驱逐,赶出,逐出;(evict的过去分词和过去式) Haiti:n.海地; make room for:让出地方给…,为…腾出空位; luxury:n.奢侈,奢华;奢侈品;享受;adj.奢侈的; complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; developers:n.开发商;发展者;[摄]显影剂(developer的复数); sea level:海平面; undeniable:adj.不可否认的;公认优秀的;无可争辩的; consistent:adj.始终如一的,一致的;坚持的; trend:n.趋势;动向;趋向;动态;v.走向;趋向;
A health emergency even bigger than HIV/AIDS seems to be in the works , and it was my low-income patients that were dropping clues of what this would look like. 它带来的是一场比艾滋病 更为严重的卫生突发事件, 而我的那些低收入病人群体正预示着 这场危机的种种迹象。
This new epidemic is climate change, and it has a variety of health effects. 这场新的流行病是气候变化, 它对我们的健康能造成诸多影响。
Climate change impacts us in four major ways. 这些影响主要分四类:
Directly , through heat, extreme weather and pollution; through the spread of the disease; through disruption of our food and water supply; and through disruption of our emotional well-being . 最直接的是,热潮、极端气候和污染; 还有通过疾病的传播; 破坏或中断我们食物和水资源供应; 还有我们的心理健康。
emergency:n.紧急情况;突发事件;非常时刻;adj.紧急的;备用的; in the works:正在准备阶段;在进行中或准备中; clues:n.(调查,研究等的)线索;迹象;(故事的)关键情节;(clue的复数) variety:n.多样;种类;杂耍;变化,多样化; impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用; Directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就; extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物; disruption:n.破坏,毁坏;分裂,瓦解; emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的; well-being:n.幸福;康乐;
In medicine we use mnemonics to aid our memory, and this mnemonic, " heatwave ," 医学上我们会用助记词汇来帮助记忆, 这里我们用一个词叫 “ heatwave (热潮)
shows the eight significant health effects of climate change. 展现了气候变化的八个重大健康影响。
H: Heat illnesses. H:热病,即中暑。
E: Exacerbation of heart and lung disease. E:心肺疾病加重。
A: Asthma worsening. A:哮喘恶化。[07:21]
mnemonics:n.记忆术; heatwave:n.热浪;奇热时期; significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; Exacerbation:n.加重;[医]病势加重;激怒;
T: Traumatic injuries , especially during extreme weather events. T:创伤性损伤, 特别是在极端天气事件期间。
W: Water and foodborne illnesses. W:水和食源性疾病。
A: Allergies worsening. A:过敏恶化。
V: Vector-borne diseases spreading, like Zika, dengue and Lyme. V:载体传播疾病, 如寨卡、登革热和莱姆病。
And E: Emotional stresses increasing. E:心理压力增加。[07:39]
Traumatic:adj.外伤的;创伤的;n.外伤药; injuries:n.伤害,损伤;挫伤;(injury的复数) especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; foodborne:食物传播的;食物传染的; Allergies:n.变态反应;过敏反应;(allergy的复数) Vector-borne:媒介传播的;
Poor, vulnerable people are already feeling the effects of climate change. 贫穷脆弱的人已经 感觉到了气候变化的影响。
They are the proverbial canary in a coal mine . 他们是众所周知的 “矿井中用来测试危险的金丝雀”。
Truly, their experiences are like oracles or prophecies . 真的,他们的经历就像预言一般,
The guiding light for us to pay attention that we are doing something to our world first that's hurting them first. 这是一道光,指引我们更加意识到 我们对地球所做的一些事情 最先在伤害着他们。
proverbial:adj.谚语的;众所周知的;谚语式的; canary:n.[鸟]金丝雀;淡黄色; coal mine:煤矿; oracles:圣人;预言(oracle的名词复数); prophecies:n.预言(prophecy的复数);
But in a matter of time, we are next. 但到头来,我们会是下一个受害者。
If we act together -- doctors, patients and other health professionals -- we will find solutions. 如果我们一起行动—— 医生、病人和其他医疗权威—— 我们会找到解决方案。
We have done this with the HIV crisis . 我们已经用这个方法 解决过艾滋病危机。
There [it] was thanks to the activism of patients with HIV that demanded medications and better research, and the collaboration of doctors and scientists that we were able to control the epidemic. 多亏了艾滋病患者的积极性—— 要求有效药物的研发, 以及更好的研究, 以及医生和科学家的合作, 我们才得以控制那场流行病。
professionals:n.[管理]专业人员(professional的复数); crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的; activism:n.行动主义;激进主义; medications:n.药;药物;(medication的复数) collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌;
And then it was thanks to international health agencies , 也多亏那些国际卫生组织、
NGOs, politicians and pharmaceutical companies that HIV medication became available in low-income countries. 非政府组织、政客,以及制药公司, 治疗艾滋病的药物 才得以出现在低收入国家。
There is no reason we can't also apply this model of collaboration to address the health effects of climate change before it's too late. 我们没有理由不再次 开展这样的合作, 在为时过晚前,找到方法 解决气候变化带来的健康影响。
agencies:n.代理;代理处(agency的复数); politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数) pharmaceutical:adj.制药(学)的;n.药物; apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求;
Climate change is here. 气候变化已经开始了。
It's already damaging the health and homes of poor people. 它已经开始损害穷人的健康 和破坏他们的住所。
Like my patient Jorge, most of us will have to work, whether rain or shine, cold or heat. 像我的病人乔治一样, 我们大部分人将必须工作, 无论是下雨还是天晴, 寒冷或炎热。
But together these patients and their doctors, hand-in-hand , with some basic tools, can do so much to make this climate transition less brutal for all of us. 不过,病人和医生 使用一些基本工具 可以让气候变化带来的影响 变得不那么残酷。
These patients inspired me to found a clinicians ' organization to fight climate change. 这些病人们鼓舞我创建了 一个临床医生组织 以抗争气候变化。
We focus on understanding the health effects of climate change, learning to advocate for patients with climate-related illnesses and encouraging real-world solutions. 我们致力于理解 气候变化对健康的影响, 学习如何支持并拥护那些 患有气候相关疾病的患者, 并鼓励世界落实解决办法。
hand-in-hand:adj.并进的;手拉手的;亲密的; transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡; brutal:adj.残忍的;野蛮的,不讲理的; inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) clinicians:临床医生(clinician的名词复数); organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; real-world:adj.现实生活的;工作的;
A recent Gallup study showed three of the most respected professions are nurses, doctors and pharmacists . 盖洛普(Gallup)公司 最近的一个调查显示,
So as respected members of society, we have amplified voices to influence climate change policy and politics . 作为备受尊重的社会成员, 我们有更强有力的声音 来影响气候变化的政策 和政治局面。
There is so much we can do. 我们可以做很多事。
As clinicians, our many patient contacts allows us to see things before others. 作为临床医生, 我们与病人的直接接触 让我们有先见之明。
Gallup:vi.进行民意测验;vt.对…进行民意测验; professions:n.行业,职业;业内人士;同行;(profession的复数) pharmacists:n.药剂师(pharmacist的复数); amplified:v.放大;详述(amplify的过去分词);adj.放大的;扩充的; influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数) contacts:v.联系,联络;(contact的第三人称单数)
And this puts us in an ideal position to be on the frontlines of change. 这让我们处在改革前线的理想位置。
We can teach climate-related illnesses in our health-professional schools. 我们可以在医学院 教授气候相关疾病的知识。
We can collect data on our patients' climate-related conditions by making sure there are billing codes to identify them. 我们可以收集病人 与气候相关病情状况的数据, 并确保能编码识别它们。
frontlines:前线(frontline的名词复数); identify:v.识别:鉴定:确认:发现:
We can do climate-related health research. 我们可以做与气候相关的健康研究;
We can teach how to have green practices in homes. 向人们讲授居家环保理念;
We can advocate for our patient energy needs. 拥护病人的能源需求。
We can help them get safer homes. 我们可以帮他们找到 可以更安全居住的房子;
We can help them get necessary equipment in those homes when conditions worsen. 当情况恶化时,帮他们找到必需的 医疗器械。
We can testify in front of lawmakers as to the findings , and we can medically treat our patients' climate-related illnesses. 我们还可以利用研究结果向立法者证明 在医学上, 我们能够治疗气候相关的疾病。
Most importantly, we can help prepare our patients mentally and physically for the health challenges they will face, using a model of medicine that incorporates economic and social justice . 更重要的是,通过结合 经济和社会正义因素的医疗模型, 我们能帮助病人 同时从身体和心理上 为他们即将要面对的
testify:v.证明,证实;作证; lawmakers:立法者(lawmaker的复数); findings:n.调查发现;判决;裁决;(finding的复数) medically:adv.医学上地;医药上地; mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上; incorporates:组成公司; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
This would mean Ms. Sandra Faye Twiggs with COPD, who died after being released from jail after a fight with her daughter over a fan, would have known that the heat in her apartment made her sick and angry and seek a safer place to go for cooling. 这意味着特威格斯小姐 不会在和女儿争抢风扇出狱后, 因慢性阻塞性肺病去世。 相反,她会知道炎热的公寓 容易使她生气、发病, 她会找个更安全的地方乘凉,
Even better, her apartment would never have been so hot. 更好的是,她的公寓也不会那么热。
From the poor, I've learned our lives are not only vulnerable but are stories of resilience , innovation and survival . 从穷人那里, 我意识到生命不但脆弱, 而且充满了适应能力、 创新和幸存的故事。
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求; resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力; innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法; survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物;
Like that wise old man who loudly spoke truth to the cop that summer night: "Ain't no ambulance coming," 正如智慧的老人,在那个夏夜: 大声向警察说出真相: “救护车根本不会来”,
and compelled him to deliver that little girl to the hospital instead. 并且强迫警察把小女孩送去医院。
You know what? 你们知道吗?
Listen up. 听好了。
If there's going to be a medical response to climate change, it is not going to be just waiting for an ambulance. 如果要针对气候变化做出医学回应, 它不会仅仅是等待一辆救护车。
It is going to happen because we the clinicians take the first step. 回应会发生是因为我们 作为医生们能迈出第一步。[11:35]
compelled:v.强迫;迫使;使必须;引起(反应);(compel的过去分词和过去式) response:n.响应;反应;回答;
We make so much noise that the issue cannot be ignored or misunderstood . 我们的呼喊声 响亮到让这个问题 无法被忽略或误解。
It is going to start with the stories our patients tell and the stories we tell on their behalf . 这将从我们病人讲述的故事, 也从我们替他们讲述的故事开始。
We're going to do what is right for our patients like we've always done, but also what is right for our environment, for ourselves and for all the people on this planet -- all of them. 我们将一如既往地为病人做正确的事, 但同时也是为了我们的环境, 为了我们自己, 为了地球上的全人类—— 所有人。
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; ignored:v.忽视;对…不予理会;佯装未见;不予理睬;(ignore的过去分词和过去式) misunderstood:adj.被误解的;v.误解,误会(misunderstand的过去式); behalf:n.代表;利益;
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause and cheers) (掌声和欢呼)