返回首页

ChanceCoughenour_2016X-_你的照片如何能协助恢复失落的历史_

Why do people deliberately destroy cultural heritage ? 为什么人们会蓄意破坏文化遗产?
deliberately:adv.故意地;谨慎地;慎重地; cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; heritage:n.遗产;传统;继承物;继承权;
By doing so, do they believe they're erasing our history? 他们是否认为, 这么做就能抹灭我们的历史?
erasing:v.擦除;清除;取消(erase的现在分词);
Our cultural memory? 抹灭我们的文化记忆?
It's true that we are losing cultural heritage to erosion and natural disasters , but this is something that is simply difficult to avoid. 的确,造成我们失去 文化遗产的原因包括侵蚀 以及天灾, 但这些原因是很难避免的。
erosion:n.侵蚀,腐蚀; disasters:n.灾难(disaster的复数);
I'm here to show you today how we can use pictures -- your pictures -- to reclaim the history that is being lost using innovative technology and the effort of volunteers . 我今天在这里要呈现给各位看的, 是我们如何能用照── 你们的照片── 透过创新科技、 以及志愿者的努力, 来试图恢复失去的历史。
reclaim:v.开拓;回收再利用;改造某人,使某人悔改;n.改造,感化;再生胶; innovative:adj.革新的,创新的; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; volunteers:n.志愿者; v.自愿做; (volunteer的第三人称单数和复数)
In the early 20th century, archaeologists discovered hundreds of statues and artifacts at the ancient city of Hatra, in northern Iraq. 在二十世纪初, 考古学家在北伊拉克的 哈特拉古城发现了 数以百计的雕像 及工艺品。
archaeologists:n.[古]考古学家(archaeologist的复数); statues:n.[建]雕像(statue的复数);v.在…处装饰;用雕像装饰(statue的三单形式); artifacts:n.史前古器物;人工产品;
Statues like this one were found in fragments , some of them missing their heads or arms, yet the clothing that they are wearing and their pose can still tell us their story. 像这样的雕像,被找到时都已破损, 有些少了头或是手臂, 但它们的穿着 以及它们的姿势, 仍然能将它们的故事告诉我们。
fragments:n.碎片(fragment的复数);片断;[计]分段;v.破碎(fragment的三单形式);打碎; pose:v.引起; n.装腔作势; (为画像、拍照等摆的)姿势;
For example, we believe that by wearing a knee-length tunic and open bare feet, this was representative of a priest . 比如, 我们相信,穿着长达膝盖的 短袖束腰外衣, 且赤脚的装扮, 代表的是祭师。
knee-length:adj.长及膝部的; tunic:n.束腰外衣;被膜; bare:adj.空的;赤裸的,无遮蔽的;v.露出,使赤裸; representative:n.代表; adj.典型的; priest:n.司祭,神父;教士,祭司,僧侣;v.使成为教士;任命…为祭司;
However, with a closer look at this particular piece, we can see that this tunic being worn was elaborately decorated , which has led many researchers to believe this was actually a statue of a king performing his religious functions. 然而,如果更仔细地看这片碎片, 我们能看到,它穿的这件 短袖束腰外衣有被精心装饰过, 这点让许多研究者相信, 这雕像其实是个国王, 在履行其宗教相关的职责。
elaborately:adv.精巧地;苦心经营地; decorated:v.装饰;装潢;粉刷;点缀;装点;(decorate的过去分词和过去式) performing:adj.表演的;演奏的;v.做;执行;演出;运转(perform的现在分词) religious:adj.宗教的;虔诚的;严谨的;修道的;n.修道士;尼姑;
When the Mosul Cultural Museum opened in 1952 in northern Iraq, this statue, as well as others, were placed there to preserve them for future generations. 当北伊拉克的摩苏尔 文化博物馆于 1952 年开张, 这座雕像,以及其他雕像, 保存进了该博物馆中, 为了下一代。
Mosul:n.摩苏尔(伊拉克北部城市); as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且; preserve:vt.保存;保护;维持;腌;禁猎;n.保护区;禁猎地;加工成的食品;
Following the US-led invasion of Iraq in 2003, a few statues and artifacts were relocated to Baghdad , but this statue remained. 在 2003 年美国攻打伊拉克之后, 少部份的雕像及工艺品 被重新安置到巴格达, 但这座雕像还留着。
invasion:n.武装入侵;侵略;侵犯;涌入;干预; relocated:v.(使)搬迁,迁移;(relocate的过去分词和过去式) Baghdad:n.巴格达(伊拉克首都);
Then in February of last year, a video was released , and it instantly went viral . 去年二月,一支影片被释出, 且马上被疯传。
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) viral:adj.滤过性毒菌引起的;滤过性毒菌的;
Maybe some of you remember seeing it. 也许在座有些人还记得看过它。
Here's a short clip . 这里是一小段影片。
clip:v.剪辑;修剪;削减;固定;n.夹;夹子;速度;钳;
(Video) (Singing in Arabic) (影片)(阿拉伯语歌声)
(Singing ends) (歌声结束)
Not a very pleasant sight, right? 不是很令人愉快的景象,对吧?
Did you notice anything familiar in the video? 在影片中,你们是否有 注意到什么熟悉的东西?
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
There it is. 就是它。
There is that very statue, as it was toppled over, breaking into pieces. 就是这座雕像, 它被人推倒, 摔成碎片。
toppled:v.倾倒;倒塌;摇摇欲坠;
When Matthew Vincent and I saw this video, we were shocked. 当马修文森和我看到这支影片, 我们十分震惊。
Vincent:n.模锻摩擦压力机;
Since we are archaeologists using innovative technology for digital preservation , an idea sprung to mind. 因为我们是使用创新技术 来做数位保存的考古学家, 我们想到了一个点子。
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; preservation:n.保存,保留;
Maybe we can crowdsource the images that were taken of these artifacts before they were destroyed, to create digital reconstructions . 也许我们可以针对这些工艺品 被摧毁之前拍下的影片 做群众外包, 来创造数位重建。
crowdsource:vi.众包,众包指的是一个公司或机构把过去由员工执行的工作任务,以自由自愿的形式外包给非特定的(而且通常是大型的)大众网络的做法; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数) reconstructions:n.再建,重建;改造;复兴;
If we can do that, maybe we can put them into a virtual museum to tell that story. 如果我们能那么做, 也许就能把它们放到虚拟博物馆中, 来诉说那故事。
virtual:adj.[计]虚拟的;实质上的,事实上的(但未在名义上或正式获承认);
And so two weeks after we saw this video, we started the project called Project Mosul. 于是,在我们看到 那支影片的两周后, 我们开始了一个专案, 称为摩苏尔计画。
Remember the pictures of the statue I showed you before? 还记得我先前展示的雕像照片吗?
This is actually the crowdsourced reconstruction of it before it was destroyed. 这其实是它在被摧毁之前的 群众外包重建成果。
Now, many of you may be wondering, how exactly does this work? 很多人可能会想知道, 这是怎么做到的?
Well, the key to this technology is called photogrammetry , and it was invented here, in Germany. 这项技术的关键,叫做摄影测量法, 它是在这里,在德国被发明出来的。
photogrammetry:n.[测]摄影测量法;摄影制图法;
It is the technology that allows us to use two-dimensional images taken of the same object from different angles to create a 3D model. 正是这项技术,让我们 可以用同一件物品 从不同角度拍摄的二维图像, 来建立一个三维模型。
two-dimensional:adj.二维的;缺乏深度的;
I know you may be thinking this sounds like magic -- but it's not. 我知道你们可能会心想, 这听起来像魔术,但并不是。
Let me show you how it works. 让我来展示一下怎么做。
Here are two crowdsourced images of the same statue. 这是同一座雕像的 两张群众外包影像。
What the computer can do is it can detect similar features between the photographs -- similar features of the object. 电脑能够做的是, 侦测两张照片间的相似特征── 这件物品的相似特征。
detect:vt.察觉;发现;探测;
Then, by using multiple photos, in this case, it can begin to reconstruct the object in 3D. 然后,使用多张照片, 在这个例子中,就能开始 进行这个物件的三维重建。
multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数;
In this case, you have the position of the cameras when each image was taken, shown in blue. 在这个例子中, 每张影像在拍摄时的照相机位置 用蓝色来标示。
Now, this is a partial reconstruction, I admit, but why would I say partial? 我承认,这是部份重建, 但我为什么会说是部份?
partial:adj.部分的;不完整的;片面的;有偏见的;
Well, simply because the statue was positioned against a wall. 很简单,因为该雕像是靠墙摆放的。
We don't have photographs taken of it from the back. 我们没有它背后的照片。
If I wanted to complete a full digital reconstruction of this statue, 如果我想要完成这座雕像的 完整数位重建,
I would need a proper camera, tripods , proper lighting, but we simply can't do that with crowdsourced images. 我会需要一台适当的照相机、 三脚架、适当的灯光, 但用群众外包影像时, 就无法这么做。
tripods:n.三角架(tripod的复数形式);
Think about it: 想想看:
How many of you, when you visit a museum, take photographs of all parts of the statue, even the back side of it? 在座有多少人, 在造访一间博物馆时, 会去拍一座雕像的每个部份, 甚至它的背面?
Well, maybe if some of you find Michelangelo's David interesting, 嗯,也许有些人会觉得 米开朗基罗的大卫像蛮有趣的,
I guess -- 我猜是吧……
(Laughter) (笑声)
But the thing is, if we can find more images of this object, we can improve the 3D model. 但重点是, 如果我们能找到 越多这个物品的影像, 我们就能改善它的三维模型。
improve:v.改进;改善;
When we started the project, we started it with the Mosul Museum in mind. 当我们开始这个专案时, 我们心中想的是摩苏尔博物馆,
We figured we may get a few images, some people interested, make one or two virtual reconstructions, but we had no idea that we had sparked something that would grow so quickly. 心想也许能得到几张影像, 让几个人感兴趣, 完成一、两个虚拟重建, 我们完全没料到我们 点燃了某种快速燃烧的火花。
sparked:v.点燃,发动(spark的过去式,过去分词);鼓舞;
Before we knew it, we realized it was obvious : we could apply this same idea to lost heritage anywhere. 在我们知道之前, 我们了解到,很显然: 我们能把这个点子应用到 任何地方的失落遗产。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求;
And so, we decided to change the name of the project to Rekrei. 所以,我们决定把专案 改名为 Rekrei(重建)。
Then, in the summer of last year, "The Economist" magazine's media lab reached out to us. 接着,去年夏天, 「经济人」杂志的 媒体实验室来找我们。
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
They asked us, "Hey, would you like us to build a virtual museum to put the reconstructions back inside, to tell the story?" 他们问我们: 「嘿,你们要不要我们 建立一座虚拟博物馆, 把重建的文物放回到里面, 让它们来说故事?」
Can you imagine us saying no? 你们觉得我们会拒绝吗?
Of course not. 当然不能。
We said yes! 我们说好!
We were so excited. 我们好兴奋。
This was exactly the initial dream of that project. 这正是这个专案最初的梦想。
initial:adj.最初的; n.(名字的)首字母; v.用姓名的首字母作标记(或签名)于;
And so now, any of you can experience RecoVR Mosul on your phone, using Google Cardboard or a tablet or even YouTube 360. 所以,现在, 每个人都可以用手机 来体验「重建摩苏尔虚拟实境」, 也可以用 Google Cardboard 3D虚拟实境装置, 平板电脑、甚至 YouTube 360。
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; Cardboard:n.[纸]硬纸板;纸板箱;卡纸板;adj.不真实的;硬纸板制的; tablet:n.碑;药片;写字板;小块;
Here is a screenshot from the virtual museum. 这是虚拟博物馆的一张截图,
screenshot:n.屏幕截图(截图软件名称);
And there it is ... 它就在这里……
the partial reconstruction of the statue, as well as the Lion of Mosul, the first reconstruction completed by our project. 那座雕像的部份重建, 还有摩苏尔之狮, 它是我们的专案 第一个完成的重建作品。
Although the video doesn't explicitly show the Lion of Mosul being destroyed, we have many other examples of large artifacts being destroyed that were simply too large to have been stolen. 虽然那支影片并没有明确显示 摩苏尔之狮被摧毁, 但有许多例子都是 大型工艺品被摧毁, 只因为它们太大,无法被偷走。
explicitly:adv.明确地;明白地;
For example, the Gate of Nimrud in northern Iraq. 比如, 北伊拉克的尼姆鲁德门,
This is a digital reconstruction from before, and this is actually during the destruction . 这是用它以前的样子 进行的数位重建, 这是它实际被摧毁的样子。
destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
Or the Lion of Al-Lāt, in Palmyra, Syria : before ... 或是叙利亚帕迈拉的 阿拉伯狮子神像: 摧毁之前……
Syria:n.叙利亚共和国;
and after. 及摧毁之后。
Although virtual reconstructions are primarily the main focus of our project, some people have been asking the question: 虽然虚拟重建 是我们专案的主要重心, 有些人一直在问这个问题:
primarily:adv.首先;主要地,根本上;
Can we print them in 3D? 我们能用 3D 列印 把它们印出来吗?
We believe 3D printing doesn't offer a straightforward solution to lost heritage. 我们认为,3D 列印 并非失落遗产的 直接解决方案。
straightforward:adj.简单的;坦率的;明确的;径直的;adv.直截了当地;坦率地; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
Once an object is destroyed, it's gone. 一旦一件物品被摧毁, 它就不在了。
But 3D printing does offer an addition to tell that story. 但 3D 列印的确能够幫助 说出其背后的故事。
addition:n.添加;[数]加法;增加物;
For example, I can show you here ... 比如,我可以给各位看……
There is the statue from Hatra and the Lion of Mosul. 这是哈特拉的雕像, 以及摩苏尔之狮。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. 谢谢。
Now, if you look closely, you'll notice that there are some parts that have been printed in color, and some parts that are in white or gray. 如果你靠近看, 你会注意到有些部份是用彩色列印, 有些部份则是白色或灰色。
This part was added simply to hold the statues up. 加上这部份的目的 只是要保持雕像的完好。
This works the same way if you visit a museum, and a statue is found in fragments; it's put together for the people to see it. 当你参观博物馆时,它们也同样 这样处理找到时已是碎片的雕像; 雕像会被重组起来给人们观赏。
put together:..放在一起;组合;装配;
This makes sense, right? 这样是合理的,对吧?
However, we're much more interested in what virtual reality has to offer for lost heritage. 然而,我们更感兴趣的是, 虚拟实境能为失落遗产提供什么。
virtual reality:n.(计算机创造的)虚拟现实;
Here is an example of one of the tower tombs that was destroyed in Palmyra. 这里有个例子,这是在帕迈拉 被摧毁的两座墓塔之一。
Using Sketchfab's online viewer, we can show that we have reconstructed three parts of the exterior of the tomb, but we also have photos of the inside, 用 3D 模型网站 Sketchfab 的 网上看图软体, 可以看见我们已经重建了 这座墓外部的三个部份, 但我们也有内部的照片,
reconstructed:adj.重建的;改造的;v.重建;改造(reconstruct的过去式); exterior:n.外观;外表;adj.外面的;外部的;外表的;户外的;
so we're beginning to create a reconstruction of the wall and the ceiling. 所以我们开始在对墙壁以及天花板 进行重建。
Archaeologists worked there for many, many years, so we also have architectural drawing plans of this lost heritage. 考古学家在那里努力了 非常非常多年, 所以我们也有 这项遗产的建筑平面图。
architectural:adj.建筑学的;建筑上的;符合建筑法的;
Unfortunately , we are not only losing cultural heritage to areas of conflict and at war -- we're also losing it to natural disasters. 不幸的是,我们不只是在 有冲突和战争的地区才会失去 文化遗产, 天灾也是原因之一。
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
This is a 3D model of Durbar Square in Kathmandu, before the earthquake that occurred last April ... 这是加德满都王宫广场的三维模型, 在去年四月地震之前它是这样子的,
Durbar:n.正式接见;接见室; occurred:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;(occur的过去分词和过去式)
and this is after. 这是地震后的状况。
You may be thinking, you didn't create these 3D models with only tourist photographs, and that's true. 你也许会想, 你并不只是用游客的照片 来建立这些三维模型, 的确没错。
But what this represents is the ability for large, public organizations and private industry to come together for initiatives like ours. 但这代表的意义是, 大型政府组织以及私人产業能够 协力进行像我们这样的方案。
represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数) organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; initiatives:n.积极性;主动权(initiative的复数);创始;
And so one of the major challenges of our project, really, is to find photographs that were taken before something happens, right? 我们的专案要面对的主要挑战之一, 是要找到在物品被摧毁 之前的照片,对吧?
Well, the internet is basically a database with millions of images, right? 而网路基本上就是个 有百万张影像的资料庫,对吧?
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
Exactly. 没错。
So we have begun to develop a tool that allows us to extract images from websites like Flickr , based on their geotags, to complete reconstructions. 于是,我们开始开发一种工具, 让我们能从如 Flickr 等网站,依据地理标签 取得影像, 再用它们来完成重建。
extract:v.提取;取出;摘录;榨取;n.汁;摘录;榨出物;选粹; Flickr:n.网络相簿;
Because we're not only losing cultural heritage to natural disasters and in war, but we're also losing it to something else. 因为我们不只在天灾 和战争中失去文化遗产, 还有其他造成遗产失落的原因。
Any idea, just looking at these two pictures? 只看这两张照片,能猜出来吗?
Maybe it's a little difficult to remember, but only a few weeks ago, this was the example of human destruction by human stupidity . 也许有点难记得, 这例子在几周之前才刚发生, 因为人类的愚昧而造成损毁。
stupidity:n.愚蠢;糊涂事;
Because a tourist in Lisbon wanted to climb onto this statue and take a selfie with it -- 因为里斯本的一名游客 想要爬上这座雕像, 来跟它自拍。
Lisbon:n.里斯本(葡萄牙首都); selfie:n.自拍照;
(Laughter) (笑声)
and pulled it down with him. 结果拉着雕像一起摔倒。
So we're already finding photographs to complete a digital reconstruction of this. 所以我们已经在寻找照片 来完成这个雕像的数位重建。
We need to remember that the destruction of cultural heritage isn't a recent phenomenon . 我们必须要记住, 文化遗产的损毁并非 近期才有的现象。
phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物);
In the 16th century, 在十六世纪,
European priests and explorers burned thousands of Maya books in the Americas, of which we only have a handful left. 欧洲祭师和探险家在美洲 烧毁了数以千计的马雅书籍, 只有少数还存留下来。
priests:n.司祭,神父;教士,祭司,僧侣;(priest的复数) explorers:n.探险者;勘探者;考察者;(explorer的复数)
Fast-forward to 2001, when the Taliban blew up the Bamiyan Buddhas in Afghanistan . 快转到 2001 年, 塔利班炸毁了阿富汗的巴米扬大佛。
Fast-forward:n.快进功能;adj.进展迅速的;vi.快进;vt.使快进; Taliban:塔利班; Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲);
You see, cultural heritage is about our shared global history. 你们要知道, 文化遗产是我们共有的全球历史。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
It helps us connect with our ancestors and their stories, but we're losing pieces of it every day to natural disasters and in areas of conflict. 它协助我们与祖先 及祖先的故事做连结, 但每天,我们都在失去 它的一小部份,因为天灾、 还有地区冲突。
Of course, the loss of human life is the most heartbreaking loss ... 当然,人命的损失是最让人心碎的。
heartbreaking:adj.令人心碎的;使人悲痛的;
but cultural heritage offers us a way to preserve the memory of the people for future generations. 但文化遗产让我们能 保有对这些人的记忆, 让后世也能认识他们。
We need your help to reclaim the history that is being lost. 我们需要你们的协助, 来恢复失落的历史
Will you join us? 你们愿意加入我们吗?
(Applause) (掌声)