返回首页

CaseyBrown_2015X-_甄别不可信统计数据的3种方法_

No one will ever pay you what you're worth. 从没人会依据你的价值来支付薪水。
No one will ever pay you what you're worth. 没有人会以你的价值, 来付给你薪水。
They'll only ever pay you what they think you're worth. 他们只会以他自己的想法, 来付给你薪水。
And you control their thinking, not like this, although that would be cool. 但你能控制他们的想法。 不像这样, 虽然这样很酷。
(Laughter) ( 笑声 )
That would be really cool. 真的很酷。
Instead, like this: clearly defining and communicating your value are essential to being paid well for your excellence . 反而应该这样做: 透过明确的定义和沟通, 让他们理解你的价值, 为自己卓越的表现,争取更好的待遇,这样才对。
defining:v.解释(词语)的含义;给(词语)下定义;阐明;界定;(define的现在分词) essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; excellence:n.优秀;美德;长处;
Anyone here want to be paid well? 有谁想要获得高薪呢?
OK, good, then this talk is for everyone. 很好, 那这个演讲是给大家听的。
It's got universal applicability . 全世界适用。
universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的; applicability:n.适用性;适应性;
It's true if you're a business owner, if you're an employee, if you're a job seeker . 不论你是企業老板或雇员, 或是求职者; 不论你是男是女。
job seeker:n.求职者(英国常见的官方用语);
It's true if you're a man or a woman. 今天我用女性
Now, I approach this today through the lens of the woman business owner, because in my work I've observed that women underprice more so than men. 企業老板的角度来剖析, 因为我在工作中发现, 女性比男性更容易被低估薪水。
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理; lens:n.透镜,镜头;晶状体;隐形眼镜;汽车的灯玻璃;v.给…摄影; observed:adj.观察的;观测的;v.观察;遵守;注意到(observe的过去分词形式);
The gender wage gap is a well-traveled narrative in this country. 男女薪水差异在美国非常常见。
gender:n.性别; wage:v.发动;n.(通常指按周领的)工资; gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开; well-traveled:adj.游历甚广的;交通繁忙的; narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的;
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics , a woman employee earns just 83 cents for every dollar a man earns. 根据劳动局的统计, 比起男性雇员, 女性雇员的薪水只有前者的 83% 。
According to:根据,据说; Bureau:n.局,处;衣柜;办公桌; Statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
What may surprise you is that this trend continues even into the entrepreneurial sphere . 让你惊讶的是, 就连创業阶段也是这样。
trend:n.趋势;动向;趋向;动态;v.走向;趋向; entrepreneurial:adj.企业家的,创业者的;中间商的; sphere:n.球;领域;球体;球形;v.使成球形;包围;把…放在球内;使处于天体之间;
A woman business owner earns just 80 cents for every dollar a man earns. 男老板每赚到 1 美元时, 女老板却只能赚到 80 分。
In my work, I've often heard women express that they're uncomfortable communicating their value, especially early on in business ownership. 在我的职场里,常听到女性会说, 她们不太喜欢讨论自己的价值, 尤其是在创業初期。
express:v.表达; adj.特快的; n.特快列车; v.使用快速服务; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
They say things like, "I don't like to toot my own horn ." 她们会说: 「我不爱自誇。」
toot:n.嘟嘟声;痛饮;vt.吹奏出;使发嘟嘟声;vi.吹喇叭; horn:n.喇叭,号角;角;v.装角于;
'"I'd rather let the work speak for itself." 「我宁愿用工作来证明自己。」
speak for:要求得到;代表…讲话;
'"I don't like to sing my own praises." 「我不喜欢吹捧自己。」
I hear very different narratives in working with male business owners, and I think this difference is costing women 20 cents on the dollar. 但我从男性企業家那, 却听到非常不同的说法。 我认为,就因为这些差异, 让女性比男性少赚 20%。
narratives:n.叙述,故事;叙述的手法(narrative复数);
I'd like to tell you the story of a consulting firm that helps their clients dramatically improve their profitability . 让我来说个顾问公司的故事。 这公司显着提升了其客户的获利,
consulting:adj.咨询的,商议的;v.咨询,请教;商议;(consult的现在分词形式) clients:n.委托人;当事人;客户机;(client的复数) dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地; improve:v.改进;改善; profitability:n.赢利能力;收益性;利益率;
That company is my company. 这就是我的公司。
After my first year in business, 在我创業 1 年后,
I saw the profit increases that my clients were realizing in working with me,and I realized that I needed to reevaluate my pricing. 我注意到获利成长,客户也了解, 跟我合作下才有此成果。
reevaluate:vt.再评估;重新估计;vi.再评估;重新估计;
I was really underpriced relative to the value I was delivering. 我发现是该重新评估自己的报价。
underpriced:v.作价低估;被低估;价格偏低(underprice的过去式,过去分词); relative:adj.相对的;有关系的;成比例的;n.亲戚;相关物;[语]关系词;亲缘植物;
It's hard for me to admit to you, because I'm a pricing consultant . 与我提供的服务相比,我的确太过便宜。 有点难跟你承认,因为我是个定价顾问。
consultant:n.顾问;高级顾问医师;会诊医师;
(Laughter) ( 笑声 )
It's what I do. 这就是我的工作;
I help companies price for value. 我幫企業的价值订定价格。
But nonetheless , it's what I saw, and so I sat down to evaluate my pricing, evaluate my value, and I did that by asking key value questions. 尽管如此,我注意到了, 所以我好好衡量了自己的 收费和价值。 我对自己提出几个关键价值的问题:
nonetheless:adv.尽管如此,但是;
What are my clients' needs and how do I meet them? 我的客户需要什么?我要如何达成他们的目的?
What is my unique skill set that makes me better qualified to serve my clients? 对客户来说,我有什么特殊的专长,让我比别人更胜任?
unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物; qualified:adj.有资格的; v.合格; (qualify的过去分词和过去式)
What do I do that no one else does? 我能提供什么别人没有的服务?
What problems do I solve for clients? 我为客户解决了哪些问题?
What value do I add? 为其公司增添了多少价值?
I answered these questions and defined the value that my clients get from working with me, calculated their return on investment , and what I saw was that I needed to double my price,double it. 我回答了这些问题,也明确地算出客户 与我合作后新增的价值,并算出他们的投资报酬率。 结果发现,我该收双倍的价钱。整整双倍。
defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
Now, I confess to you, this terrified me. 现在,我却要向你们坦承,这件事让我非常恐惧。
confess:v.承认;坦白;忏悔;供认;
I'm supposed to be the expert in this, but I'm not cured. 我是这方面的专家, 但为此仍是忒忑不安!
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
I knew the value was there. 我知道自己有这个价值。
I was convinced the value was there, and I was still scared out of my wits . 我也被自己说服有这个价值了, 但是我还是不敢相信这一切。
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式) wits:n.智慧;头脑;智力;机智幽默的人;理解力;(wit的复数)
What if nobody would pay me that? 如果没人愿意付我这样的钱呢?
What if:如果…怎么办?
What if clients said, "That's ridiculous .You're ridiculous ." 又如果客户说:「这价格太不思议了。」「妳简直不可理喻!」
ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的;
Was I really worth that? 我真的值这么多吗?
Not my work, mind you, but me. 这并非工作的问题,注意,这是我自己的疑问。
Was I worth that? 我值得这样的价格吗?
I'm the mother of two beautiful little girls who depend upon me. 独自抚养两个美丽的小女孩。
depend upon:依赖;取决于;
I'm a single mom. 我是个单亲妈妈,
What if my business fails? 如果我经商失败了?
What if I fail? 如果我失败了?
But I know how to take my own medicine, the medicine that I prescribe to my clients. 但我知道该服用自己开的药, 那些我开给客户的药。
prescribe:v.给…开(药);让…采用(疗法);开(处方);命令;
I had done the homework. 我已做了功课,
I knew the value was there. 我知道有这价值。
So when prospects came, 所以当机会来临,
prospects:n.可能性; v.探矿; (prospect的第三人称单数和复数)
I prepared the proposals with the new higher pricing and sent them out and communicated the value. 我把已准备好、更贵的 新价提案寄给他们, 并跟他们讨论其中的价值。
proposals:n.建议书(Proposal的复数);求婚;
How's the story end? 结果如何呢?
Clients continued to hire me and refer me and recommend me,and I'm still here. 客户不但继续跟我续约, 还推荐给其他人,我仍然在業界。
refer:v.参考;涉及;提到;查阅; recommend:v.推荐;介绍;劝告;建议;使受欢迎;
And I share this story because doubts and fears are natural and normal. 跟你们分享这故事, 因为怀疑和害怕都很自然正常。
But they don't define our value, and they shouldn't limit our earning potential . 但这些都不能定义你的价值, 也不能制约了我们的赚钱能力。
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
I'd like to share another story, about a woman who learned to communicate her value and found her own voice. 我还想分享另一个故事, 是一位女性学习 与他人沟通她的自我价值, 进而发现自我的声音。
She runs a successful web development company and employs several people. 她经营一家成功的网站开发公司, 也有几名员工。
When she first started her firm and for several years thereafter , she would say, "I havea little web design company." 她开了自己的公司,然后再过几年, 她称自己有间「小小的网站设计公司。」
thereafter:adv.其后;从那时以后;
She'd actually use those words with clients. 她真的这样对客户介绍:
'"I have a little web design company." 「我有间小小的网站设计公司。」
In this and in many other small ways, she was diminishing her company in the eyes of prospects and clients, and diminishing herself. 无论是从这或其他小地方, 她让潜在的客户、现有的客户 贬低了她的公司, 也藐视了她自己。
diminishing:v.减少; adj.逐渐缩小的;
It was really impacting her ability to earn what she was worth. 这影响到她应得的收入 和她真正的价值。
impacting:[力]冲击;[力]撞击;[物]碰撞(impact的现在分词);
I believe her language and her style communicated that she didn't believe she had much value to offer. 我认为是因为她用的语言和方式, 都表示连她自己也不信, 自己有这样的价值。
In her own words, she was practically giving her services away. 她这样说, 简直是贱卖了自己公司的服务。
practically:adv.实际地;几乎;事实上;
And so she began her journey to take responsibility for communicating value to clients and changing her message. 所以她开始一个名为 「负责对客户传递价值」的计画,以及改变她所传递的讯息。
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
One thing I shared with her is that it's so important to find your own voice, a voice that's authentic and true to you. 我与她分享一件 非常重要的事: 找出自己的声音, 一个对你而言,确切且真实的声音。
authentic:adj.真正的,真实的;可信的;
Don't try to channel your sister-in-law just because she's a great salesperson or your neighbor who tells a great joke if that's not who you are. 不用学你的嫂嫂, 只因她是很好的销售人员; 或是那位很会说笑话的邻居, 因为那都不是你。
salesperson:n.售货员;
Give up this notion that it's tooting your own horn. 试着放下「自吹自擂」的成见,
notion:n.观念;信念;理解; tooting:v.狂饮;吸入可卡因;吹奏出;使发出嘟嘟声(toot的ing形式);
Make it about the other party. 从对方的角度着眼。
Focus on serving and adding value, and it won't feel like bragging . 着重在服务和价值的提升, 就不会觉得自誇。
bragging:v.吹嘘;自吹自擂;(brag的现在分词)
What do you love about what you do? 你喜欢工作里的哪些事?
What excites you about the work that you do? 工作中哪些事让你充满干劲?
If you connect with that, communicating your value will come naturally . 若能连结这些, 必能自然而然传递你的价值。
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地;
So she embraced her natural style, found her voice and changed her message. 她选择用自己最自然的方式, 找到自己的声音,以及改变传递的讯息。
embraced:v.拥抱;欣然接受,乐意采纳;信奉;包含;(embrace的过去分词和过去式)
For one thing , she stopped calling herself a little web design company. 其一,她不再称自己 是家小小的网路设计公司。
For one thing:首先;一则;
She really found a lot of strength and power in communicating her message. 她真的在沟通讯息中 找到许多力量。
She's now charging three times as much for web design,and her business is growing. 如今她的网页设计, 收费是以前的三倍。
She told me about a recent meeting with a gruff and sometimes difficult client who had called a meeting questioning progress on search engine optimization . 她的事業正在成长。 她提到一个近期的会议, 一个蛮横、有时又难搞的客户, 在问搜寻引擎优化的进度。
gruff:adj.粗暴的; vt.生硬地说; vi.粗鲁地说; n.格拉夫(英国珠宝品牌); search engine:n.(计算机)搜索引擎; optimization:n.最佳化,最优化;
She said in the old days, that would have been a really intimidating meeting for her, but her mindset was different. 若是从前, 这必定是让她极为害怕的会议。 但她心态已然不同,
intimidating:adj.吓人的;令人胆怯的;v.恐吓;威胁;(intimidate的现在分词) mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
She said, she prepared the information, sat down with the client, said this isn't about me,it's not personal , it's about the client. 她说自己准备了资料, 坐下与客户谈。 这并非针对她,也不对她个人, 而是与客户相关。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
She took them through the data, through the numbers, laid out the trends and the progress in her own voice and in her own way,but very directly said, "Here's what we've done for you." 她带客户看过所有资料和数据, 用她自己的声音和方式 阐述趋势和进度, 用非常直接的方式说 「这些是我为贵公司做到的。」
trends:n.趋势;倾向;动态;动向;(trend的第三人称单数和复数) directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
The client sat up and took notice, and said, "OK, I got it." 客户调整一下姿势,表示注意到, 就说:「好,我知道了。」
And she said in describing that meeting, "I didn't feel scared or panicky or small, which is how I used to feel. 她是这样形容此会议的: 「我一点都不觉得害怕或紧张, 也不觉得渺小, 这些都是我以前的感觉。
describing:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的现在分词) panicky:adj.恐慌的;惊慌失措的;
Instead I feel like, 'OK, I got this. 这次我觉得自己很好且胸有成竹,
I know what I'm doing. I'm confident .'" 我知道自己在做什么,我有信心。」
confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
Being properly valued is so important. 能被正确的评量是非常重要的。
You can hear in this story that the implications range far beyond just finances into the realm of self-respect and self-confidence . 从这故事能得知, 影响范围不但超出了金钱, 而是进入了自尊和自信的范畴。
implications:n.蕴涵式;暗指,暗示;含蓄,含意;卷入(implication的复数); realm:n.领域,范围;王国; self-respect:n.自重,自尊; self-confidence:n.自信;
Today I've told two stories, one about defining our value and the other about communicating our value, and these are the two elements to realizing our full earning potential. 今天我讲了两则故事: 一则是奠定自我价值; 另一则是传达自我价值。 这两个要素, 让我们了解自己的价值,
elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
That's the equation . 它是个算式。
equation:n.方程式,等式;相等;[化学]反应式;
And if you're sitting in the audience today and you're not being paid what you're worth, 如果今天坐在观众席的你, 没拿到与你等值的薪水,
I'd like to welcome you into this equation. 我欢迎你带入这个算式。
Just imagine what life could be like, how much more we could do, how much more we could give back, how much more we could plan for the future, how validated and respected we would feel if we could earn our full potential, realize our full value. 想像一下生活会变得怎样, 我们能多做些什么, 我们能多回馈些什么, 能为未来多做哪些计画, 会对自己感到多么踏实和自信。 如果我们能够获得 与能力相对应的收入,
validated:v.证实;确认;使生效;批准;认可;(validate的过去分词和过去式)
No one will ever pay you what you're worth. 实现自我最大的价值。
They'll only ever pay you what they think you're worth, and you control their thinking. 从没人会依据你的价值来支付薪水。 他们只会给你,他们认为的价格。 但你可以掌控他们的想法。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) ( 掌声 )