|
|
CarolineCasey_2010W-_回顾过去的限制_
|
Can any of you remember what you wanted to be when you were 17? |
各位中有人 能回忆起在17岁时 想做什么样的人么? |
Do you know what I wanted to be? |
知道我的想法么? |
I wanted to be a biker chick. |
我想成为一个摩托飞车女。 |
biker:n.骑摩托车的人;骑自行车的人;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I wanted to race cars, and I wanted to be a cowgirl , and I wanted to be Mowgli from "The Jungle Book." |
我想赛车, 我想成为一个女牛仔, 我想成为“森林王子”里的莫格利。 |
cowgirl:n.女牛仔; Jungle:n.密林;尔虞我诈的环境;危险地带;
|
Because they were all about being free, the wind in your hair -- just to be free. |
因为我说的这些都与处于自由状态相关 -- 风在你的头发中穿越 -- 只要自由。 |
And on my seventeenth birthday, my parents, knowing how much I loved speed, gave me one driving lesson for my seventeenth birthday. |
在我17岁生日时, 我父母,他们知道我有多爱速度, 送给我一个驾校课程 作为我17岁生日礼物。 |
Not that we could have afforded I drive, but to give me the dream of driving. |
并不是说我们能负担得起我开车, 只是给我一个驾驶的梦想。 |
afforded:vt.给予,提供;买得起;
|
And on my seventeenth birthday, |
在我17岁生日时, |
I accompanied my little sister in complete innocence , as I always had all my life -- my visually impaired sister -- to go to see an eye specialist. |
我陪同我天真无邪的 妹妹, 正如我在一生中一直拥有的 -- 我那有视觉障碍的妹妹 -- 去看眼科医生。 |
accompanied:v.陪同;陪伴;与…同时发生;为…伴奏;(accompany的过去式和过去分词) innocence:n.清白,无罪;天真无邪; visually:adv.形象化地;外表上;看得见地; impaired:adj.受损的;v.损害(impair的过去式和过去分词);
|
Because big sisters are always supposed to support their little sisters. |
因为姐姐 总是应该支持她们的妹妹。 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
|
And my little sister wanted to be a pilot -- |
我的小妹妹想成为一名飞行员 -- |
God help her. |
上帝保佑她。 |
So I used to get my eyes tested just for fun. |
我过去曾检查眼睛 只是为了好玩。 |
And on my seventeenth birthday, after my fake eye exam, the eye specialist just noticed it happened to be my birthday. |
在我17岁生日时, 在我做完冒充的眼科检查之后, 眼科医生注意到那天是我生日。 |
fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的;
|
And he said, "So what are you going to do to celebrate?" |
他说道,“你打算怎么庆祝生日?” |
And I took that driving lesson, and I said, "I'm going to learn how to drive." |
我已经收到了那份驾校课程礼物, 于是我说道,“我打算去学开车。” |
And then there was a silence -- one of those awful silences when you know something's wrong. |
接着是一片寂静 -- 当你意识到有什么不对劲时 这是一种可怕的寂静。 |
And he turned to my mother, and he said, "You haven't told her yet?" |
他转向我的母亲, 说道,“你还没告诉她?” |
On my seventeenth birthday, as Janis Ian would best say, |
在我17岁生日, 正如詹尼斯·伊恩最可能会说的, |
I learned the truth at 17. |
在17岁我发现了真相: |
I am, and have been since birth, legally blind. |
我自从出生以来, 就是法律上的盲人。 |
And you know, how on earth did I get to 17 and not know that? |
要知道, 我究竟是怎么长到17岁的 而且还不知道这件事? |
Well, if anybody says country music isn't powerful, let me tell you this: |
如果有任何人说乡村音乐影响力不强大, 让我告诉你们这个: |
country music:na.(尤指美国南部)乡村音乐;
|
I got there because my father's passion for Johnny Cash and a song, "A Boy Named Sue ." |
我爱上乡村音乐 是因为我父亲热爱约翰尼·卡什 和那首“一个名叫苏的男孩”。 |
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; Sue:v.控告;提起诉讼;(尤指在法庭上)提出请求;
|
I'm the eldest of three. I was born in 1971. |
我是三孩子中年纪最大的。我生于1971年。 |
eldest:adj.最年长的;年事最高的(old的最高级);n.最年长者;
|
And very shortly after my birth, my parents found out I had a condition called ocular albinism . |
在我出生后不久, 我父母发现我患有眼白化病。 |
ocular:adj.眼睛的;视觉的;目击的;n.[光]目镜; albinism:n.白化病;
|
And what the hell does that mean to you? |
各位知道这意味着什么吗? |
So let me just tell you, the great part of all of this? |
我来告诉你们其中最重要的部分? |
I can't see this clock and I can't see the timing, so holy God, woohoo! (Laughter) |
我看不见这个钟,看不见时间, 神圣的上帝啊! |
I might buy some more time. |
我也许能再多争取些时间。 |
But more importantly, let me tell you -- |
但更重要的是,我告诉各位 -- |
I'm going to come up really close here. Don't freak out, Pat . |
我将很快提到这些。别紧张。 |
freak:n.怪人,怪事;畸形人;反复无常;adj.奇异的,反常的; Pat:v.合适; n.拍打; adj.过于简易的; v.(喜爱地)轻拍;
|
Hey. |
嘿。 |
See this hand? |
看到这只手了么? |
Beyond this hand is a world of Vaseline . |
在这手后面是一片模糊的世界。 |
Vaseline:n.凡士林,[油气]矿脂;
|
Every man in this room, even you, Steve, is George Clooney. |
屋子内的每个男人,即使是你,史蒂夫 都是乔治·克鲁尼。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And every woman, you are so beautiful. |
每一位女性,都非常美丽。 |
And when I want to look beautiful, I step three feet away from the mirror, and I don't have to see these lines etched in my face from all the squinting I've done all my life from all the dark lights. |
当我想看看美丽时,我站在镜子前三英尺, 我一辈子都无法眯着眼从 昏暗的灯光下 看见我脸部的轮廓。 |
etched:v.蚀刻,凿出;(脸上)流露出;铭刻;画出…的轮廓(etch的过去分词和过去式) squinting:v.瞇着眼睛看;斜视;(人)患斜视;(squint的现在分词)
|
The really strange part is that, at three and a half, just before I was going to school, my parents made a bizarre , unusual and incredibly brave decision. |
真正奇怪的是 在三岁半时,就在我要去上学之前, 我父母做出了一个奇异的、不寻常的、 难以置信地勇敢的决定。 |
bizarre:adj.奇异的(指态度,容貌,款式等); incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
|
No special needs schools. |
不去特种学校。 |
special needs:n.(智力或身体障碍者的)特殊需求;
|
No labels . |
不被贴上标签。 |
labels:n.标签;分类(label的复数形式);v.贴标签于;把…称为(label的三单形式);
|
No limitations . |
不受限制。 |
limitations:n.局限性;(限制)因素;边界(limitation的复数形式);
|
My ability and my potential . |
我的能力和我的潜力。 |
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
|
And they decided to tell me that I could see. |
他们决定告诉我 我能看见。 |
So just like Johnny Cash's Sue, a boy given a girl's name, |
就像约翰尼·卡什的苏, 一个有着女孩名字的男孩, |
I would grow up and learn from experience how to be tough and how to survive, when they were no longer there to protect me, or just take it all away. |
我将长大并从经历中学习 如何坚强如何生存 当他们不能再保护我, 或是带走一切时。 |
But more significantly , they gave me the ability to believe, totally, to believe that I could. |
但更重要的是, 他们给予了我 信任的能力, 完全信任自己能够做到。 |
significantly:adv.意味深长地;值得注目地;
|
And so when I heard that eye specialist tell me all the things, a big fat "no," |
因此,当我听到眼科医生 告诉我所有的事情时,一个巨大的“不”, |
everybody imagines I was devastated . |
所有人都认为我被击垮了。 |
devastated:adj.不安的,混乱的,震惊的; v.彻底破坏; (devastate的过去分词和过去式)
|
And don't get me wrong, because when I first heard it -- aside from the fact that I thought he was insane -- |
别误会我,因为我第一次听到这些时 -- 除了我觉得他疯了以外 -- |
insane:adj.疯狂的;精神病的;极愚蠢的;
|
I got that thump in my chest, just that "huh?" |
感觉我胸口受到重击 -- 只发出“啊。” |
thump:vt.重击;用拳头打;砰地撞到;vi.重击;狠打;砰然地响;n.重打;重击声;
|
But very quickly I recovered. It was like that. |
但很快我就恢复了。就这样。 |
The first thing I thought about was my mom, who was crying over beside me. |
我首先想到的是我妈妈 在为我哭泣。 |
And I swear to God, I walked out of his office, "I will drive. I will drive. |
我向上帝发誓,我走出医生的办公室, “我要开车。我要开车。 |
You're mad. I'll drive. I know I can drive." |
你疯了。我要开车,我知道我能。” |
And with the same dogged determination that my father had bred into me since I was such a child -- he taught me how to sail, knowing I could never see where I was going, I could never see the shore, and I couldn't see the sails, and I couldn't see the destination. |
带着我父亲从我还是孩子时 就注入给我的同样顽强的决心 -- 他教我如何航海, 尽管他知道我无法辨别方向,无法看到海岸, 无法看到帆,无法看到目的地。 |
determination:n.测定;确定;决心;计算; bred:v.交配繁殖;培育(动植物);孕育;导致;(breed的过去分词和过去式)
|
But he told me to believe and feel the wind in my face. |
但他告诉我要相信 和感觉吹拂过我脸庞的风。 |
And that wind in my face made me believe that he was mad and I would drive. |
吹拂过我脸庞的风让我相信 他疯了并且我能驾驶。 |
And for the next 11 years, |
在随后的11年间, |
I swore nobody would ever find out that I couldn't see, because I didn't want to be a failure, and I didn't want to be weak. |
我发誓没人曾发觉我看不见, 因为我不想成为一名失败者, 我不想成为弱者。 |
And I believed I could do it. |
我相信我能做到。 |
So I rammed through life as only a Casey can do. |
我只是在做凯西能做到的。 |
rammed:v.和…相撞;撞击;塞进;挤进;(ram的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I was an archeologist , and then I broke things. |
我曾是名考古学家,接着我打碎了东西。 |
archeologist:n.考古学家;
|
And then I managed a restaurant, and then I slipped on things. |
接着我管理一家餐馆,我又摔碎了东西。 |
slipped:adj.打滑的;v.滑倒;滑落;脱落;(slip的过去分词和过去式)
|
And then I was a masseuse . And then I was a landscape gardener . |
接着成了一名女按摩师。接着我成了一名庭园美化师。 |
masseuse:n.女按摩师; landscape gardener:n.园林学家;造园师;园林设计师;
|
And then I went to business school . |
接着我去了商学院上学。 |
business school:n.(大学里针对毕业生的)工商学院;
|
And you know, disabled people are hugely educated. |
残障人士接受了很多教育。 |
And then I went in and I got a global consulting job with Accenture. |
接着我加入了埃森哲并有了一份全球性的咨询工作。 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; consulting:adj.咨询的,商议的;v.咨询,请教;商议;(consult的现在分词形式)
|
And they didn't even know. |
他们并不知道我的眼睛有问题。 |
And it's extraordinary how far belief can take you. |
信仰能带你走 这么远真是太非凡了。 |
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
|
In 1999, two and a half years into that job, something happened. |
在1999年, 获得这一工作两年半之后, 事情发生了 -- |
Wonderfully , my eyes decided, enough. |
精彩的事,我的双眼决定不干了。 |
Wonderfully:adv.精彩地;惊人地;极好地;
|
And temporarily , very unexpectedly , they dropped. |
暂时性的, 非常出乎意料, 它们罢工了。 |
temporarily:adv.临时地,临时; unexpectedly:adv.出乎意料地,意外地;
|
And I'm in one of the most competitive environments in the world, where you work hard, play hard, you gotta be the best, you gotta be the best. |
我处于世界上最具竞争性的环境之中, 在这种环境中,需要努力工作、不择手段、必须做到最好、必须做到最好。 |
competitive:adj.竞争的;比赛的;求胜心切的;
|
And two years in, |
过了两年, |
I really could see very little. |
我确实只能看见一点点。 |
And I found myself in front of an HR manager in 1999, saying something I never imagined that I would say. |
我发现自己来到一位人力资源经理的面前 这是1999年 说一些我从未想过自己会说的话。 |
I was 28 years old. |
我28岁了。 |
I had built a persona all around what I could and couldn't do. |
我在我能做什么和我不能做什么之间制作了一个面具。 |
persona:n.人物角色;伪装的外表;
|
And I simply said, "I'm sorry. |
我只是说, “我很抱歉。 |
I can't see, and I need help." |
我看不见,我需要帮助。” |
Asking for help can be incredibly difficult. |
寻求帮助可能会难以置信地困难。 |
And you all know what it is. You don't need to have a disability to know that. |
大家都能理解;并不需要身患某项残疾就能了解到。 |
disability:n.残疾;无能;无资格;不利条件;
|
We all know how hard it is to admit weakness and failure. |
我们都知道承认 软弱和失败有多么困难。 |
And it's frightening , isn't it? |
这令人恐惧,不是么? |
frightening:adj.可怕的;骇人的;引起恐惧的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐(frighten的现在分词)
|
But all that belief had fueled me so long. |
但所有的信仰让我坚持了很久。 |
And can I tell you, operating in the sighted world when you can't see, it's kind of difficult -- it really is. |
我能告诉各位,当你生活在一个视觉世界时,你却对此看不见, 这有点困难 -- 确实是这样。 |
Can I tell you, airports are a disaster . |
我可以告诉各位,去机场会是场灾难。 |
airports:n.[航]机场;[航]航空港(airport的复数形式); disaster:n.灾难,灾祸;不幸;
|
Oh, for the love of God. |
哦,看在上帝的份上。 |
And please, any designers out there? |
拜托,在场的每一位设计师。 |
OK, designers, please put up your hands, even though I can't even see you. |
设计师们,请伸出你们的手,即使这样我也看不到你们。 |
I always end up in the gents' toilets. |
我总是误入男士盥洗室。 |
And there's nothing wrong with my sense of smell. |
我的嗅觉没任何问题。 |
But can I just tell you, the little sign for a gents' toilet or a ladies' toilet is determined by a triangle . |
但我只是想告诉你们, 那个标明了男士盥洗室或女士盥洗室的小标志 是一个三角形。 |
determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式) triangle:n.三角形;三角形物体;三角铁(打击乐器);三角关系;
|
Have you ever tried to see that if you have Vaseline in front of your eyes? |
你们有没有试过眼前有一层 凡士林的情况下看看这些标志? |
It's such a small thing, right? |
真是太小了,不是么? |
And you know how exhausting it can be to try to be perfect when you're not, or to be somebody that you aren't? |
各位知道,当你并不完美时尝试 做到完美,或做一个不是自己的人, 这是多么的让人筋疲力尽啊? |
exhausting:adj.使人精疲力竭的;v.耗尽;使筋疲力尽;(exhaust的现在分词)
|
And so after admitting I couldn't see to HR, they sent me off to an eye specialist. |
因此在我给人力资源经理承认我看不见之后, 他们送我去看眼科医生。 |
And I had no idea that this man was going to change my life. |
我还没有意识到这个人将会改变我的一生。 |
But before I got to him, I was so lost. |
但在我见他之前,我非常不知所措。 |
I had no idea who I was anymore. |
我不知道我到底是谁。 |
And that eye specialist, he didn't bother testing my eyes. |
而那名眼科医生,他没有对我的眼睛做检查。 |
bother:v.烦扰,打扰;使…不安;操心,麻烦;n.麻烦;烦恼;
|
God no, it was therapy . |
上帝啊,没有,那是治疗。 |
therapy:n.治疗,疗法;
|
And he asked me several questions, of which many were, "Why? |
他问了我几个问题, 问题大多是,“为什么? |
Why are you fighting so hard not to be yourself? |
为什么你这么努力地抗争 而不是做你自己? |
And do you love what you do, Caroline?" |
你喜欢你所做的么,卡洛琳?” |
And you know, when you go to a global consulting firm, they put a chip in your head, and you're like, "I love Accenture. I love Accenture. I love my job. I love Accenture. |
各位知道,当进入一家全球性的咨询公司时, 他们会在你脑子里放一块芯片,并且你喜欢这样, “我爱埃森哲。我爱埃森哲。我爱我的工作。我爱埃森哲。 |
chip:v.削,凿;削成碎片;剥落;碎裂;n.[电子]芯片;筹码;碎片;(食物的)小片;薄片;
|
I love Accenture. I love Accenture. I love my job. I love Accenture." (Laughter) |
我爱埃森哲。我爱我的工作。我爱埃森哲。” |
To leave would be failure. |
离开就是失败。 |
And he said, "Do you love it?" |
他问道,“你爱它么?” |
I couldn't even speak I was so choked up. |
我太激动了,根本无法开口。 |
choked:adj.堵塞的; v.使窒息; (choke的过去分词和过去式)
|
I just was so -- how do I tell him? |
我太激动了 -- 我怎么跟他说呢? |
And then he said to me, "What did you want to be when you were little?" |
接着他对我说,“你小时候想成为什么样的人?” |
Now listen, I wasn't going to say to him, "Well, I wanted to race cars and motorbikes." |
听我说,我还不打算告诉他,“嗯,我想开车和骑摩托。” |
Hardly appropriate at this moment in time. |
很难描述那一时刻的情形。 |
appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出;
|
He thought I was mad enough anyway. |
他会认为我有够疯狂。 |
And as I left his office, he called me back and he said, "I think it's time. |
我离开他的办公室时, 他叫住我 说到,“我想是时候了。 |
I think it's time to stop fighting and do something different." |
我想是时候 停止内心的抗争并做点不同的事情了。” |
And that door closed. |
那扇门关上了。 |
And that silence just outside a doctor's office, that many of us know. |
医生的办公室外一片寂静, 正如我们很多人都知道的那样。 |
And my chest ached. |
我胸口觉得疼痛。 |
And I had no idea where I was going. I had no idea. |
我不知道要去哪儿。完全不知道。 |
But I did know the game was up. |
但我知道一切都结束了。 |
And I went home, and, because the pain in my chest ached so much, |
我回到家,胸口疼的非常厉害, |
I thought, "I'll go out for a run." |
我想到,“我要出去跑跑步。” |
go out for:努力争取;(运动员,运动队)尽力参加选拔赛;
|
Really not a very sensible thing to do. |
这不是什么非常明智的做法。 |
sensible:adj.明智的; n.可感觉到的东西;
|
And I went on a run that I know so well. |
我非常熟悉跑步。 |
I know this run so well, by the back of my hand. |
非常熟悉,通过我的手背熟悉的。 |
I always run it perfectly fine. |
我总是跑的非常好。 |
I count the steps and the lampposts and all those things that visually impaired people have a tendency to have a lot of meetings with. |
我数着步数、街灯柱和其他一些 有视觉障碍的人容易碰到的东西。 |
lampposts:n.街灯柱;路灯柱; tendency:n.倾向,趋势;癖好;
|
And there was a rock that I always missed. |
那儿有块我总是会避过的石头。 |
And I'd never fallen on it, never. |
我从未摔倒在它上面,从来没有。 |
And there I was crying away, and smash , bash on my rock. |
我边哭边跑 猛的撞到那块石头上。 |
smash:v.粉碎; n.破碎; adj.了不起的; bash:v.猛击,痛击;怒殴;n.猛烈的一击,痛击;
|
Broken, fallen over on this rock in the middle of March in 2000, typical Irish weather on a Wednesday -- gray, snot , tears everywhere, ridiculously self-pitying . |
砰的一下,摔倒 在这块石头上, 那是2000年的三月中 -- 一个周三,典型的爱尔兰天气 -- 世界灰暗,涕泪横流 -- 可笑地自怨自艾。 |
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; snot:n.鼻涕;惹人嫌的人;蛮横无理的话; ridiculously:adv.可笑地;荒谬地; self-pitying:adj.自怜的;自哀的;
|
And I was floored, and I was broken, and I was angry. |
我差点晕过去,我被击倒了, 我很生气。 |
And I didn't know what to do. |
我不知道该做什么。 |
And I sat there for quite some time going, "How am I going to get off this rock and go home? |
我坐在那儿好一会儿, “我怎么才能离开这块石头回家? |
Because who am I going to be? |
我要成为谁?” |
What am I going to be?" |
我要成为什么?” |
And I thought about my dad, and I thought, "Good God, I'm so not Sue now." |
我想到了我爸爸, 我想,“上帝啊,我现在不是苏了。” |
And I kept thinking over and over in my mind, what had happened? Where did it go wrong? Why didn't I understand? |
我就在那儿想啊想啊, 发生了什么?我做错了什么?为什么我不明白? |
over and over:反复;再三;
|
And you know, the extraordinary part of it is I just simply had no answers. |
最特别的地方是, 我没有答案; |
I had lost my belief. |
我失去了自己的信仰。 |
Look where my belief had brought me to. |
看看我的信仰把我带到了哪儿。 |
And now I had lost it. And now I really couldn't see. |
现在我失去了它。现在我真的看不见了。 |
I was crumpled . |
我倒下了。 |
crumpled:adj.摺皱的,弄皱的;v.弄皱(crumple的过去分词);
|
And then I remember thinking about that eye specialist asking me, "What do you want to be? What do you want to be? |
然后我想到了眼科医生问我的 问题,“你想成为什么样的人?你想成为什么样的人? |
What did you want to be when you were little? Do you love what you do? |
你小时候想成为什么样的人?你喜欢你所做的么? |
Do something different. What do you want to be? |
做点不同的事情吧。你想成为什么样的人? |
Do something different. What do you want to be?" |
做点不同的事情吧。你想成为什么样的人?” |
And really slowly, slowly, slowly, it happened. |
非常非常慢地, 事情发生了。 |
And it did happen this way. |
以这种方式发生了。 |
And then the minute it came, it blew up in my head and bashed in my heart -- something different. |
它出现的时候 就像在我脑袋里爆炸 冲进我心里, 不同的事情, |
bashed:v.猛击;猛撞;严厉批评;(bash的过去分词和过去式)
|
'"Well, how about Mowgli from 'The Jungle Book'? |
“嗯,“森林王子”里的莫格利怎么样? |
You don't get more different than that." |
不会有比这更不同的了。” |
different than:不同于;
|
And the moment, and I mean the moment, the moment that hit me, |
这一刻,我说这一刻 是指我想通的那一刻, |
I swear to God, it was like woo hoo! You know -- something to believe in. |
我向上帝发誓, 我松了口气!有了我可以相信的事。 |
And nobody can tell me no. |
没人能告诉我不。 |
Yes, you can say I can't be an archeologist. |
是的,你可以说我成为不了一名考古学家。 |
But you can't tell me, no, I can't be Mowgli, because guess what? |
但你不能告诉我,我不能成为莫格利,你猜是因为什么? |
Nobody's ever done it before, so I'm going to go do it. |
之前从来没人这么做过,所以我打算去做。 |
And it doesn't matter whether I'm a boy or a girl, I'm just going to scoot . |
无论我是男是女,我就是要去试试。 |
scoot:vi.疾行;匆匆离去
|
And so I got off that rock, and, oh my God, did I run home. |
我离开了那块石头,哦,上帝,我跑回了家。 |
And I sprinted home, and I didn't fall, and I didn't crash. |
我奋力跑回家,没有摔倒,没有撞到什么东西。 |
sprinted:vi.冲刺,全速跑;n.冲刺;短跑;vt.全速奔跑;
|
And I ran up the stairs, and there was one of my favorite books of all time, "Travels on My Elephant" by Mark Shand -- I don't know if any of you know it. |
我跑上楼梯,那儿总是放着本我喜欢的书, 马克·山德所著的“骑大象走印度”(繁体中文译名) -- 不知道各位知不知道这本书。 |
And I grabbed this book off, and I'm sitting on the couch going, "I know what I'm going to do. |
我抓起这本书,坐到沙发上, 接着想,“我知道我要做什么。 |
grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式) couch:n.睡椅,长沙发;床;卧榻;v.蹲伏,埋伏;躺着;
|
I know how to be Mowgli. |
我知道怎么能成为莫格利。 |
I'm going to go across India on the back of an elephant. |
我要坐在大象的背上 穿越印度。 |
I'm going to be an elephant handler ." |
我要成为一名大象驾驭者。” |
handler:n.处理者;管理者;拳击教练;(犬马等的)训练者;
|
And I had no idea how I was going to be an elephant handler. |
我不知道 怎么才能成为一名大象驾驭者。 |
From global management consultant to elephant handler. |
从全球管理顾问到大象驾驭者。 |
management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段; consultant:n.顾问;高级顾问医师;会诊医师;
|
I had no idea how. I had no idea how you hire an elephant, get an elephant. |
我不知道该怎么做。我不知道怎么去雇一头大象,怎么去得到一头大象。 |
I didn't speak Hindi . I'd never been to India. Hadn't a clue . |
我不会说北印度语。我从未去过印度 -- 毫无头绪。 |
Hindi:n.北印度语;adj.北印度的; clue:n.提示;迹象;(纵横填字谜、游戏或问题的)提示词语;v.提示;为…提供线索;
|
But I knew I would. |
但我知道我行。 |
Because, when you make a decision at the right time and the right place, |
因为,当在正确的地方正确的时间做出决定时, |
at the right time:在适当时候;
|
God, that universe makes it happen for you. |
上帝,一切都会水到渠成的。 |
Nine months later, after that day on snot rock, |
在那块石头上痛哭的九个月后, |
I had the only blind date in my life with a seven and a half foot elephant called Kanchi. |
我迎来了人生中的第一次约会, 对方是一头七英尺半高的大象,名叫完治。 |
blind date:n.相亲;相亲的对象;
|
And together we would trek a thousand kilometers across India. |
我们将一起跋涉一千公里 穿越印度。 |
trek:v.长途跋涉;远足,徒步旅行;n.长途跋涉(尤指在山区);
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
The most powerful thing of all, it's not that I didn't achieve before then. Oh my God, I did. |
其中最棒的事情是, 不是我之前从未做到过,而是 -- 哦,上帝,我做到了。 |
But you know, I was believing in the wrong thing. |
但各位知道,我所相信的是错误的。 |
Because I wasn't believing in me, really me, all the bits of me -- all the bits of all of us. |
因为我不是相信自己 -- 真实的自己,我的每一部分 -- 我们所有人的每一部分。 |
Do you know how much of us all pretend to be somebody we're not? |
各位知道我们中有多少人在装扮成一个不是我们的人么? |
And you know what, when you really believe in yourself and everything about you, it's extraordinary what happens. |
你知道吗,当你真的相信自己,相信你所有的一切时, 所发生的一切将非同凡响。 |
And you know what, that trip, that thousand kilometers, it raised enough money for 6,000 cataract eye operations. |
你知道吗,那一千公里的旅程中, 筹到的钱足够做六千次白内障眼科手术。 |
cataract:n.[眼科]白内障;大瀑布;暴雨,洪水;奔流;vt.倾注;
|
Six thousand people got to see because of that. |
六千人将能因此复明。 |
When I came home off that elephant, do you know what the most amazing part was? |
当我离开那头大象时, 各位知道最神奇的是什么么? |
I chucked in my job at Accenture. |
我辞去了在埃森哲的工作。 |
chucked:vt.丢弃,抛掷;驱逐;轻拍;n.[机]卡盘;抚弄;赶走;咯咯声;vi.咯咯叫;
|
I left, and I became a social entrepreneur , and I set up an organization with Mark Shand called Elephant Family, which deals with Asian elephant conservation . |
我离开了,我成为了一名社会企业家, 我与马克·山德一起建立了一个名为大象之家的组织, 致力于亚洲象的保护。 |
entrepreneur:n.企业家;承包人;主办者; organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; conservation:n.保存,保持;保护;
|
And I set up Kanchi, because my organization was always going to be named after my elephant, because disability is like the elephant in the room . |
我成立了名为完治的组织, 因为我的组织总是以我的大象命名, 因为残障就像是在房子里的大象。 |
elephant in the room:房间里的大象,形容明明存在的问题却被人刻意回避;
|
And I wanted to make you see it in a positive way -- no charity , no pity. |
我希望让你们以积极的方式看待它 -- 不带施舍,不带怜悯。 |
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; charity:n.慈善;施舍;慈善团体;宽容;施舍物;
|
But I wanted to work only and truly with business and media leadership to totally reframe disability in a way that was exciting and possible. |
但我想只以并真正的以 商业和媒体领导力 用一种令人激动的可行的 方式来完全重建残障。 |
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; reframe:v.再构造,再组织;重新制订;给…装上新框架;
|
It was extraordinary. |
这非同凡响。 |
That's what I wanted to do. |
这就是我想做的。 |
And I never thought about noes anymore, or not seeing, or any of that kind of nothing. |
我从未再想过别的,没想过看不见, 或者任何这类事情。 |
It just seemed that it was possible. |
这看起来是可行的。 |
And you know, the oddest part is, when I was on my way traveling here to TED, |
要知道,最古怪的是, 当我在来这儿参加TED的路上时, |
oddest:奇怪的;古怪的(odd的最高级);
|
I'll be honest, I was petrified . |
说实话,我有点吓呆了。 |
petrified:adj.非常害怕; v.使吓呆; (petrify的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I speak, but this is an amazing audience, and what am I doing here? |
我要演讲, 有那么棒的听众, 我在这儿做什么? |
But as I was traveling here, you'll be very happy to know, |
但我来这儿的路上, 你们会很高兴的知道, |
I did use my white symbol stick cane , because it's really good to skip queues in the airport. |
我用了我的白色手杖, 因为在机场它能帮我免于排队。 |
symbol:n.象征;符号;标志; cane:n.手杖;藤条;细长的茎;v.以杖击;以藤编制; queues:n.[数]队列;行列(queue的复数形式);v.[数]排队(queue的第三人称单数);
|
And I got my way here being happily proud that I couldn't see. |
因我无法看见 而开心自豪地来到这里。 |
And the one thing is that a really good friend of mine, he texted me on the way over, knowing I was scared. |
还有件事儿,一名我真正的好朋友, 在中途他短信我,他知道我感到害怕。 |
Even though I present confident , I was scared. |
尽管我表现的很自信,但我很害怕。 |
confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
|
He said, "Be you." |
他说,“做你自己。” |
And so here I am. |
因此我到这儿来了。 |
This is me, all of me. |
这就是我,全部的我。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And I have learned, you know what, cars and motorbikes and elephants, that's not freedom. |
我学习到,你知道吗, 汽车、摩托和大象, 都不是自由的。 |
Being absolutely true to yourself is freedom. |
做绝对真实的自己,才是自由的。 |
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
|
And I never needed eyes to see -- never. |
我不在需要眼睛来看 -- 绝不。 |
I simply needed vision and belief. |
我仅需要愿景和信仰。 |
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
|
And if you truly believe -- and I mean believe from the bottom of your heart -- you can make change happen. |
如果你真正地相信 -- 我是说发自内心地相信 -- 你就能促使变化发生。 |
And we need to make it happen, because every single one of us -- woman, man, gay, straight, disabled, perfect, normal, whatever -- everyone of us must be the very best of ourselves. |
我们需要让它发生, 因为我们中的每个人 -- 女人,男人,同性恋,异性恋, 残障的,完美的, 正常的,不论是什么 -- 我们中每个人 必须是最好的自己。 |
I no longer want anybody to be invisible . |
我不再希望任何人是隐形的。 |
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
|
We all have to be included. |
我们都要参与其中。 |
And stop with the labels, the limiting. |
停止给自己贴标签,设限制 -- |
Losing of labels, because we are not jam jars. |
抛开标签。 因为我们不是果酱罐; |
We are extraordinary, different, wonderful people. |
我们是非凡的、与众不同的、精彩的人。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |