返回首页

CarolDweck_2014X-_请相信,你可以进步_

The power of yet. 专注过程,而不是结果。
I heard about a high school in Chicago where students had to pass a certain number of courses to graduate, and if they didn't pass a course, they got the grade "Not Yet." 我听说,在芝加哥有一所高中, 那儿的学生毕业前要通过一系列课程, 如果某一门课没有通过,成绩就是「暂未通过」。
And I thought that was fantastic , because if you get a failing grade, you think, I'm nothing, I'm nowhere . 我想,这真是个绝妙的做法, 因为,如果你某门课的成绩不及格,你会想,我什么都不是,我什么都没有学到。
fantastic:奇异的,空想的 nowhere:v.无处; n.无处; adj.不存在的;
But if you get the grade "Not Yet" 但如果你的成绩是「暂未通过」,
you understand that you're on a learning curve . 你会明白,学习的步伐并没有停下,
learning curve:n.经验学习曲线;
It gives you a path into the future. 你还需逐步向前,争取未来。
'"Not Yet" also gave me insight into a critical event early in my career , a real turning point . 「暂未通过」也让我联想起一件尤为重要的发生在我职业生涯初期的事情, 这件事对我而言是一个转折点。
insight:n.洞察力;洞悉; critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; turning point:转折点;
I wanted to see how children coped with challenge and difficulty, so I gave 10-year-olds problems that were slightly too hard for them. 当时,我想探究 孩子是如何应对挑战和困难的, 因此,我让一些10岁大的孩子 尝试解决一些对于他们而言稍稍偏难的问题。
coped:vi.处理;对付;竞争;n.长袍; slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地;
Some of them reacted in a shockingly positive way. 一些孩子积极应对的方式让我感到震惊。
reacted:v.起反应; (react的过去分词和过去式) shockingly:adv.怕人地,非常地;不正当地; positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
They said things like, "I love a challenge," 他们会这样说,「我喜欢挑战,」
or, "You know, I was hoping this would be informative ." 或说,「你知道的,我希望能有所获。」
informative:adj.教育性的,有益的;情报的;见闻广博的;
They understood that their abilities could be developed. 这些孩子明白,他们的能力是可以提升的。
They had what I call a growth mindset . 他们有我所说的成长型思维模式。
mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
But other students felt it was tragic , catastrophic . 但另一些孩子觉得面对这些难题是不幸,宛如面对一场灾难。
tragic:adj.悲剧的;悲痛的,不幸的; catastrophic:adj.灾难的;悲惨的;灾难性的,毁灭性的;
From their more fixed mindset perspective , their intelligence had been up for judgment and they failed. 从他们的固定型思维角度来看, 他们的才智受到了评判,而他们失败了。
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报; judgment:n.判断;裁判;判决书;辨别力;
Instead of luxuriating in the power of yet, they were gripped in the tyranny of now. 他们不懂得享受学习的过程, 而只盯住眼前的成与败,
luxuriating:vi.沉溺;繁茂;生活奢侈; gripped:vt.紧咬,夹住;紧握(grip过去时形式); tyranny:n.暴政;专横;严酷;残暴的行为(需用复数);
So what do they do next? 这些孩子们后面表现如何?
I'll tell you what they do next. 让我告诉你他们的表现。
In one study, they told us they would probably cheat the next time instead of studying more if they failed a test. 在一项研究中,他们告诉我们,如果他们某次考试未通过, 他们很可能会在下次考试中作弊,而不是更加努力地学习。
In another study, after a failure, they looked for someone who did worse than they did so they could feel really good about themselves. 在另一项研究中,他们挂了一门后, 他们会找到那些考得还不如他们高的孩子, 以寻求自我安慰。
And in study after study, they have run from difficulty. 后续的研究陆续表明,他们会逃避困难。
Scientists measured the electrical activity from the brain as students confronted an error. 科学家们监测了学生们面对错误时的 脑电活动图像。
measured:adj.缓慢谨慎的; v.测量; (measure的过去分词和过去式) electrical:adj.有关电的;电气科学的; confronted:v.使…无法回避;降临于;处理;面对;对抗;(confront的过去分词和过去式)
On the left, you see the fixed mindset students. 在左侧,是固定型思维模式的学生,
There's hardly any activity. 几乎没有什么活动。
hardly any:几乎没有;
They run from the error. 他们在错误面前选择了逃避。
They don't engage with it. 他们没有积极地投入。
engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定;
But on the right, you have the students with the growth mindset, the idea that abilities can be developed. 但请看右侧,这是成长型思维模式的学生, 这些学生相信能力会通过锻炼得以提升。
They engage deeply. 他们积极地应对错误。
Their brain is on fire with yet. 他们的大脑在高速运转,
They engage deeply. 他们积极地投入,
They process the error. 他们剖析错误,
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
They learn from it and they correct it. 从中学习,最终订正。
How are we raising our children? 如今我们是如何教育孩子的呢?
Are we raising them for now instead of yet? 是教育他们专注眼前,而不是注重过程吗?
Are we raising kids who are obsessed with getting A's? 我们培育了一些迷恋刷A的孩子们吗?
obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词)
Are we raising kids who don't know how to dream big dreams? 我们培育了没有远大理想的孩子们吗?
Their biggest goal is getting the next A or the next test score? 他们最远大的目标就是再拿一个A,心里所想的就是下一次考试吗?
And are they carrying this need for constant validation with them into their future lives? 他们在今后的生活中,都以分数的高低 来评判自己吗?
validation:n.确认;批准;生效;
Maybe, because employers are coming to me and saying, we have already raised a generation of young workers who can't get through the day without an award. 或许是的,因为企业雇主们跑来找我, 说我们养育的这新一代走上工作岗位的人, 如果不给他们奖励, 他们一天都过不下去。
employers:n.雇主;雇用者;(employer的复数)
So what can we do? 我们该怎么做呢?
How can we build that bridge to yet? 如何让孩子注重过程而不是结果呢?
Here are some things we can do. 我们可以做这样几件事。
First of all , we can praise wisely, not praising intelligence or talent. 首先,我们可以有技巧地去表扬:不去表扬天分或才智,
First of all:adv.首先;
That has failed. 这行不通。
Don't do that anymore. 不要再这样做了。
But praising the process that kids engage in: their effort, their strategies , their focus, their perseverance ,their improvement . 而是要对孩子积极投入的过程进行表扬: 他们的努力与策略,他们的专注、坚持与进步。
strategies:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;(strategy的复数) perseverance:n.坚持不懈;不屈不挠;n.耐性;毅力; improvement:n.改进,改善;
This process praise creates kids who are hardy and resilient . 对过程的表扬 会塑造孩子的韧性。
hardy:adj.坚强的;勇敢的;能吃苦耐劳的;鲁莽的;n.强壮的人;耐寒植物;方柄凿; resilient:adj.弹回的,有弹力的;
There are other ways to reward yet. 还有其他的办法来奖励过程。
reward:n.[劳经]报酬;报答;酬谢;v.[劳经]奖励;奖赏;
We recently teamed up with game scientists from the University of Washington to create a new online math game that rewarded yet. 最近,我们与来自华盛顿大学的游戏研究者合作, 制作了一款奖励过程的数学游戏。
recently:adv.最近;新近; teamed up with:与…合作,与…协作; rewarded:v.奖励;奖赏;给以报酬;(reward的过去分词和过去式)
In this game, students were rewarded for effort, strategy and progress. 在这个游戏中,学生们因他们的努力、策略与进步而受到奖励。
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;
The usual math game rewards you for getting answers right right now, but this game rewarded process. 通常的数学游戏中, 玩家只有在解得正确答案后才能得到奖励, 但这个游戏奖励过程。
rewards:n.[劳经]奖励; v.[劳经]奖赏;
And we got more effort, more strategies, more engagement over longer periods of time, and more perseverance when they hit really, really hard problems. 随着游戏的深入,孩子们更加努力, 想出更多的策略, 身心更加投入, 当遇到尤为困难的问题时,他们也展现了更为持久的韧劲。
engagement:n.婚约;约会;交战;诺言;n.参与度;
Just the words "yet" or "not yet," we're finding, give kids greater confidence , give them a path into the future that creates greater persistence . 我们发现,注重过程的思维模式, 会赋予孩子们更多自信, 指引他们不断向前,越发坚持不懈。
confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的; persistence:n.持续;固执;存留;坚持不懈;毅力;
And we can actually change students' mindsets . 事实上,我们能够改变学生的思维模式。
mindsets:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态;
In one study, we taught them that every time they push out of their comfort zone to learn something new and difficult, the neurons in their brain can form new, stronger connections, and over time they can get smarter. 在一项研究中,我们告诉学生们, 每当他们迫使自己走出舒适区, 学习新知识,迎接新挑战, 大脑中的神经元会形成新的更强的连接, 他们会逐渐变得越来越聪明。
comfort zone:n.舒适区;最佳状态;
Look what happened: in this study, students who were not taught this growth mindset continued to show declining grades over this difficult school transition , but those who were taught this lesson showed a sharp rebound in their grades. 看看后面发生了什么吧:在这项研究中, 没有接受成长型思维模式训练的学生, 在这一困难的过渡阶段,成绩持续下滑, 但那些受过该训练的学生,成绩强势反弹,卓有起色。
declining:v.减少;下降;衰弱;谢绝;婉言拒绝;(decline的现在分词) transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡; sharp:锋利的,尖的 rebound:n.回弹;篮板球;v.回升;弹回;使弹回;(rebind的过去式和过去分词);
We have shown this now, this kind of improvement, with thousands and thousands of kids, especially struggling students. 如今,我们已证实这一结论, 通过成千上万个孩子的实例,尤其是那些在学业上挣扎的孩子。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
So let's talk about equality. 那我们就来谈谈教育平等吧。
In our country, there are groups of students who chronically underperform , for example, children in inner cities, or children on Native American reservations . 在我们国家,有些特定区域的孩子 总是在学业上处于下游, 比如,内城区的孩子, 或印第安人居留地里的孩子。
chronically:adv.长期地;慢性地;习惯性地; underperform:v.表现不佳; inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的; Native American:n.美洲土著居民; reservations:n.保留;预定(reservation的复数形式);
And they've done so poorly for so long that many people think it's inevitable . 长期以来这里的孩子都没什么起色,以致于很多人认为没的救了。
inevitable:adj.必然的,不可避免的;
But when educators create growth mindset classrooms steeped in yet, equality happens. 但是当教育家们将孩子的思维转变为成长型思维模式时, 教育平等实现了。
steeped:adj.充满…的;沉浸在…中的;v.浸泡,浸透(steep的过去分词形式);
And here are just a few examples. 举几个例子吧。
In one year, a kindergarten class in Harlem , New York scored in the 95th percentile on the National Achievement Test. 纽约哈莱姆区的一所幼儿园的学生在一年的时间内, 国家水平测试(National Achievement Test)成绩飞跃到前百分之五。
kindergarten:n.幼儿园; Harlem:n.黑人住宅区(纽约的); percentile:adj.百分率的;按百等分排列的;n.百分位;
Many of those kids could not hold a pencil when they arrived at school. 这些孩子中有很多在入学时甚至还不会握笔。
In one year, fourth grade students in the South Bronx , way behind, became the number one fourth grade class in the state of New York on the state math test. 一年之内, 远远落后的南布朗克斯区的四年级学生, 其标准数学测试成绩攀升到 纽约州所有四年级学生的第一名。
Bronx:n.布朗克斯(纽约市最北端的一区);布朗克斯鸡尾酒;
In a year to a year and a half, 在一年到一年半的时间内,
Native American students in a school on a reservation went from the bottom of their district to the top, and that district included affluent sections of Seattle . 某印第安人居留地的一所学校里的学生 成绩从全区垫底到名列前茅, 而这个区包括了西雅图市的富饶地段。
affluent:adj.富裕的;丰富的;流畅的;n.支流;富人; Seattle:n.西雅图(美国一港市);
So the native kids outdid the Microsoft kids. 印第安孩子战胜了「微软」孩子。
outdid:v.优于;胜过(outdo的过去式);
This happened because the meaning of effort and difficulty were transformed . 这得以实现的原因,是努力与困难的意义
transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式)
Before, effort and difficulty made them feel dumb , made them feel like giving up, but now, effort and difficulty, that's when their neurons are making new connections, stronger connections. 在此之前,努力与困难 让他们感觉自己很笨,让他们想放弃, 但如今,正是努力与困难让 他们大脑中的神经元得以形成新的连接, 更强的连接。
dumb:adj.哑的,无说话能力的;不说话的,无声音的;
That's when they're getting smarter. 正是在这个过程中,他们变得越来越聪明。
I received a letter recently from a 13-year-old boy. 最近,我收到一个13岁男孩的来信。
He said, "Dear Professor Dweck, 他说,「亲爱的德韦克教授,
I appreciate that your writing is based on solid scientific research, and that's why I decided to put it into practice. 我欣赏你的着作,因为它们都基于可靠的科学试验, 因此,我决定将你的方法付诸实践。
appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解; scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
I put more effort into my schoolwork, into my relationship with my family, and into my relationship with kids at school, and I experienced great improvement in all of those areas. 我更用功地学习, 更用心地处好与家人的关系, 与同学的关系, 而在这些方面我都有了长足的进步。
I now realize I've wasted most of my life." 现在我才意识到,过去浪费了太多生命。」
Let's not waste any more lives, because once we know that abilities are capable of such growth, it becomes a basic human right for children, all children, to live in places that create that growth, to live in places filled with yet. 让我们不再浪费生命, 因为,既然我们知道 能力可以增长, 那么,生活在一个能激发进步 并让这一切变得可能的地方 就是每个孩子的权利。
capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的; human right:n.人权;
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)