返回首页

CarneRoss_2009P-_独立的外交官_

My story is a little bit about war. 我的故事是关于战争的。
It's about disillusionment . 是关于理想幻灭的。
disillusionment:n.幻灭;醒悟;
It's about death. 是关于死亡的。
And it's about rediscovering idealism in all of that wreckage . 是关于在残骸碎片中 重新发现 完美主义的。
rediscovering:vt.重新发现;再发现; idealism:n.唯心主义,理想主义;理念论; wreckage:n.(失事船或飞机等的)残骸;(船只等的)失事;
And perhaps also, there's a lesson about how to deal with our screwed-up , fragmenting and dangerous world of the 21st century. 或许,也是一堂课程 讲述如何面对 我们糟透了的,残垣断壁的 危机重重的二十一世纪。
screwed-up:adj.紧张的;神经质的; fragmenting:n.分割;碎裂;v.破碎(fragment的ing形式);分割;
I don't believe in straightforward narratives . 我不相信直白的故事。
straightforward:adj.简单的;坦率的;明确的;径直的;adv.直截了当地;坦率地; narratives:n.叙述,故事;叙述的手法(narrative复数);
I don't believe in a life or history written as decision "A" led to consequence "B" 我不相信在人生或历史中 决定A会导致结果B
consequence:n.结果;重要性;推论;
led to consequence "C" -- these neat narratives that we're presented with, and that perhaps we encourage in each other. 从而导致结果C-- 这些我们被讲授的, 并且我们相互鼓励的简洁的故事。
neat:adj.整洁的;整齐的;有序的;有条理的;
I believe in randomness , and one of the reasons I believe that is because me becoming a diplomat was random. 我相信随机性, 其中原因之一是 因为我成为一名外交官就是很意外的
randomness:n.随意;无安排;不可测性; diplomat:n.外交家,外交官;有外交手腕的人;处事圆滑机敏的人;
I'm colorblind . 我是色盲。
colorblind:adj.色盲的;
I was born unable to see most colors. 我从生下来就分辨不了大多数颜色。
This is why I wear gray and black most of the time, and I have to take my wife with me to chose clothes. 这就是为什么我总穿灰色和黑色的衣服, 我必须带着我的太太 为我选衣服。
And I'd always wanted to be a fighter pilot when I was a boy. 我小时候总希望成为一名飞行员。
I loved watching planes barrel over our holiday home in the countryside. 我喜爱看着飞机快速飞过 我们在乡间的度假屋。
barrel:n.桶;枪管;一桶(的量);v.飞驰;
And it was my boyhood dream to be a fighter pilot. 我男孩子时候的梦想就是当一名飞行员。
boyhood:n.童年,少年时代;男孩们;
And I did the tests in the Royal Air Force to become a pilot, and sure enough, I failed. 我参加了皇家空军的飞行员测试, 当然的,我失败了。
Royal:adj.国王的;女王的;皇家的;n.王室成员; Air Force:n.空军;
I couldn't see all the blinking different lights, and I can't distinguish color. 我分辨不了闪烁的不同信号灯, 我分辨不了颜色
blinking:adv.讨厌,可恶;v.眨眼睛;闪烁;(blink的现在分词) distinguish:vt.区分;辨别;使杰出,使表现突出;vi.区别,区分;辨别;
So I had to choose another career , and this was in fact relatively easy for me, because I had an abiding passion all the way through my childhood , which was international relations. 所以,我必须选择别的职业, 这对我来说还算容易的, 因为在我的童年时期,我就有了这么一个持久的激情, 那就是国际关系。
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; relatively:adv.相当程度上;相当地;相对地; abiding:adj.持久的,永久的;不变的;v.遵守;容忍;继续存在(abide的现在分词); passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
As a child, 我还是个孩子时,
I read the newspaper thoroughly . 我就很仔细地读报纸。
thoroughly:adv.彻底地,完全地;
I was fascinated by the Cold War, by the INF negotiations over intermediate-range nuclear missiles , the proxy war between the Soviet Union and the U.S. “冷战 的新闻很让我着迷, INF(Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces, 中程核导弹力量) 签署中程导弹条约的谈判也令我着迷, 还有苏联和美国在
negotiations:n.谈判(negotiation的复数);磋商; nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的; missiles:n.导弹;发射物;投掷物;(missile的复数) proxy:n.代理人;委托书;代用品; Soviet:adj.苏维埃的;苏联的;n.苏维埃(前苏联的各级代表会议);苏联人;
in Angola or Afghanistan . 在安哥拉或阿富汗的代理战。
Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲);
These things really interested me. 我对这些内容很感兴趣。
And so I decided quite at an early age 所以我很早就决定了
I wanted to be a diplomat. 我想当一名外交家。
And I, one day, I announced this to my parents -- and my father denies this story to this day -- 我,有一天,跟我父母宣布了这个想法-- 我父亲现在不承认这个故事--
denies:v.否认;否定;拒绝接受;拒绝;(deny的第三人称单数) to this day:至今;
I said, "Daddy, I want to be a diplomat." 我说道,”爸爸,我想成为一名外交家。“
And he turned to me, and he said, " Carne , you have to be very clever to be a diplomat." 他看着我,说道, ”卡恩,你必须要特别聪明才能成为外交家。“
Carne:n.肉(西班牙语);
(Laughter) (笑声)
And my ambition was sealed. 而我更加确定了我的抱负。
ambition:n.追求的目标;野心;志向;抱负;
In 1989, 一九八九年,
I entered the British Foreign Service . 我加入了英国外交事务。
Foreign Service:na.(美国国务院的)外事处;
That year, 5,000 people applied to become a diplomat, and 20 of us succeeded. 那年,有五千人应聘, 只有二十个人胜出了。
applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式)
And as those numbers suggest, 这个数据说明,
I was inducted into an elite and fascinating and exhilarating world. 我也被选入一个充满精英的 迷人的令人振奋的世界。
inducted:vt.引导;感应;使…就职;征召入伍; elite:n.精英;精华;杰出人物; fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词) exhilarating:adj.令人兴奋的; v.使高兴; (exhilarate的现在分词)
Being a diplomat, then and now, is an incredible job, and I loved every minute of it -- 成为一名外交官,以往和现在, 是一份很棒的工作,我热爱工作的每一分钟。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
I enjoyed the status of it. 我享受工作状态。
status:n.地位;状态;情形;重要身份;
I bought myself a nice suit and wore leather-soled shoes and reveled in this amazing access I had to world events. 我给我自己买一套很好的西装,我穿皮鞋 然后陶醉于 这个让我接近世界大事件的美妙的途径。
reveled:vi.狂欢;陶醉;n.狂欢;闹饮;喜庆狂欢活动;
I traveled to the Gaza Strip . 我访问过加沙地带。
Strip:n.带; v.夺; adj.脱衣舞的;
I headed the Middle East Peace Process section in the British Foreign Ministry . 我领导中东和平进程 在英国外交部。
Middle East:n.中东(包括亚洲西南部和非洲东北部); Peace Process:n.和平进程; Ministry:n.(政府的)部门;
I became a speechwriter for the British Foreign Secretary . 我成为了撰稿人 为英国外交大臣。
speechwriter:n.演讲稿撰写人; Foreign Secretary:n.(英国)外交大臣;
I met Yasser Arafat. 我会见过亚西尔 阿拉法特 (注:巴勒斯坦领袖)。
I negotiated with Saddam's diplomats at the U.N. 我同萨达姆的外交官们 在联合国谈判过。
negotiated:adj.商谈的;v.谈判,协商(negotiate过去式和过去分词形式); diplomats:外交官;
Later, I traveled to Kabul and served in Afghanistan after the fall of the Taliban . 后来,我去了喀布尔 在塔利班失势后的阿富汗服务。
Taliban:塔利班;
And I would travel in a C-130 transport and go and visit warlords in mountain hideaways and negotiate with them about how we were going to eradicate Al Qaeda from Afghanistan, surrounded by my Special Forces escort , 我用C-130运输机 旅行 去探访在深山中 躲藏的军阀们 同他们谈判 关于我们如何在阿富汗消灭基地组织, 我身边都是特种护送部队,
transport:n.运输;输送;运送;运输机;v.输送;传播;使产生身临其境的感觉;(旧时)流放; warlords:n.军阀;(warlord的复数) hideaways:n.潜伏处;隐匿处;退隐处; eradicate:vt.根除,根绝;消灭; escort:n.陪同;护航舰;护卫队;护送者;v.护送;陪同;为…护航;
who, themselves, had to have an escort of a platoon of Royal Marines , because it was so dangerous. 他们自己,都必须有一个排的皇家海军护航, 因为实在是太危险了。
platoon:n.排,团;一组; Marines:n.海军陆战队士兵;(marine的复数)
And that was exciting -- that was fun. 是那很刺激,很好玩。
It was really interesting. 真的是很有趣。
And it's a great cadre of people, incredibly close-knit community of people. 他们是精英, 不可思议的紧紧团结在一起的一群人。
cadre:n.干部;基础结构;骨骼; incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; close-knit:adj.紧密的;严谨的;紧密结合着的; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
And the pinnacle of my career, as it turned out, was when I was posted to New York. 我事业的顶端,事实证明, 是我被派遣到纽约的时候
pinnacle:n.高峰;小尖塔;尖峰;极点;vt.造小尖塔;置于尖顶上;置于高处;
I'd already served in Germany, Norway, various other places, but I was posted to New York to serve on the U.N. Security Council for the British delegation . 我曾在德国,挪威, 还有其他很多地方服务过, 但是我被派遣到纽约 作为英国代表团参加联合国安理会
Security Council:安理会; delegation:n.代表团;授权;委托;
And my responsibility was the Middle East, which was my specialty . 我的责任是中东, 也是我的专长。
specialty:n.专业,专长;特产;特性;招牌菜;adj.特色的;专门的;独立的;
And there, I dealt with things like the Middle East peace process, the Lockerbie issue -- we can talk about that later, if you wish -- but above all, my responsibility was Iraq and its weapons of mass destruction and the sanctions we placed on Iraq to oblige it to disarm itself of these weapons. 在那里,我处理类似 中东和平进程, 洛克比事件 (注:发生在苏格兰南端小镇的事件)-- 如果你感兴趣,我们以后可以谈一谈-- 但是最重要的是,我的责任是伊拉克 和它的大规模杀伤性武器 以及我们对伊拉克的制裁 以迫使它解除这些武器装备。
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集; destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁; sanctions:n.制裁; v.许可; (sanction的第三人称单数和复数) oblige:v.迫使;(以法律、义务等)强迫;效劳; disarm:vt.解除武装;裁军;缓和;vi.放下武器;裁减军备;
I was the chief British negotiator on the subject, and I was steeped in the issue. 我原是英国的首席谈判代表 在这个议题上, 我沉浸在这个事件中。
negotiator:n.谈判者;磋商者;交涉者; steeped:adj.充满…的;沉浸在…中的;v.浸泡,浸透(steep的过去分词形式);
And anyway, my tour -- it was kind of a very exciting time. 无论如何, 我的旅行--是非常非常令人激动的。
I mean it was very dramatic diplomacy . 我是说它是非常戏剧化的外交。
dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的; diplomacy:n.外交;外交手腕;交际手段;
We went through several wars during my time in New York. 我们经历了好几次战争事件 当我在纽约的时候。
I negotiated for my country the resolution in the Security Council of the 12th of September 2001 condemning the attacks of the day before, which were, of course, deeply present to us actually living in New York at the time. 我代表我的国家 在安理会上协商一份决议 (这份决议)在二零零一年九月十二日 谴责前一天的攻击 (注:911事件) 这件事当然深深地为我们展现了 在那个时候真正生活在纽约的情形
resolution:n.解决;分辨;解析;决议; condemning:n.谴责;处刑;v.谴责;(condemn的现在分词)
So it was kind of the best of time, worst of times kind of experience. 算是最好的时候,也是最坏的时候 那种经历。
I lived the high-life. 我过着高品质的生活。
Although I worked very long hours, 尽管我工作时间长,
I lived in a penthouse in Union Square. 我住在联合广场的豪华公寓中。
penthouse:n.阁楼;顶层公寓,屋顶房间;
I was a single British diplomat in New York City; you can imagine what that might have meant. 我是纽约市中一名单身的英国外交官; 你可以想象那意味着什么。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I had a good time. 我有过一段美好的时光。
But in 2002, when my tour came to an end, 但是在二零零二年, 当我的任期即将结束的时候,
I decided I wasn't going to go back to the job that was waiting for me in London. 我决定我不想回到 那份在伦敦等待着我的工作。
I decided to take a sabbatical , in fact, at the New School, Bruce. 我决定休假 实际上,在新学院大学,布鲁斯。
sabbatical:adj.安息日的;n.休假(美国某些大学给大学教师每七年一次的);
In some inchoate , inarticulate way 早期时,说不清楚的情况下,
inchoate:adj.早期的;刚开始的;未充分发展的;vt.开始;vi.开始; inarticulate:adj.口齿不清的;说不出话的;[无脊椎]无关节的;
I realized that there was something wrong with my work, with me. 我意识到有些事情不对劲 关于我的工作,和我自身。
I was exhausted , and I was also disillusioned in a way I couldn't quite put my finger on. 我精疲力竭, 我的理想也破灭了 从某种方式上说,我并不知道为什么。
exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式) disillusioned:adj.醒悟的; v.使幻想破灭(disillusion的过去分词);
And I decided to take some time out from work. 我决定花些时间在工作之外的其他事情上
The Foreign Office was very generous . 外交部很慷慨。
Foreign Office:un.外交部; generous:adj.慷慨的,大方的;宽宏大量的;有雅量的;
You could take these special unpaid leave, as they called them, and yet remain part of the diplomatic service , but not actually do any work. 你可以享受这些特殊不带薪假期,他们这么说, 但是仍然属于外交服务的一份子,只是没有具体的工作。
unpaid:adj.未付款的;[税收]未缴纳的;无报酬的; diplomatic service:n.外交部门;
It was nice. 我很好。
And eventually , I decided to take a secondment to join the U.N. in Kosovo, which was then under U.N. administration. 终于,我决定 采取借调加入了联合国在科索沃的机构, 也就是那时在联合国的管理之下。
eventually:adv.最后,终于; secondment:n.借调,暂借;
And two things happened in Kosovo, which kind of, again, shows the randomness of life, because these things turned out to be two of the pivots of my life and helped to deliver me to the next stage. 在科索沃发生了两件事, 又一次, 显示了人生的不确定性, 因为这些事后来成为 我生命中的两个支点 帮助我到达下一个人生阶段。
pivots:n.枢轴; vt.以…为中心旋转; vi.在枢轴上转动; adj.枢轴的;
But they were random things. 但是,那都是很随机的事情。
One was that, in the summer of 2004, the British government, somewhat reluctantly , decided to have an official inquiry into the use of intelligence on WMD in the run up to the Iraq War, a very limited subject. 一件事是,在二零零四年的夏天, 英国政府,有点不情愿地, 决定要展开对 在伊拉克战争中 对大规模杀伤性武器情报的正式调查, 这是个很有限的议题。
somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微; reluctantly:adv.不情愿地;嫌恶地; official:adj.官方的;正式的;公务的;n.官员;公务员;高级职员; inquiry:n.询问;查询;打听;调查; intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报; run up to:跑到;达到;积累到; limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式)
And I testified to that inquiry in secret. 我秘密地为那个调查作证。
testified:v.(尤指出庭)作证;证实;证明;见证;(testify的过去式和过去分词)
I had been steeped in the intelligence on Iraq and its WMD, and my testimony to the inquiry said three things: that the government exaggerated the intelligence, which was very clear in all the years I'd read it. 我一直精通于伊拉克和大规模杀伤性武器的 情报, 我对此次调查的证词阐述了三件事: 即,政府夸大了那些情报, 从过去这些年来我所得知道的看来这很清楚。
testimony:n.[法]证词,证言;证据; exaggerated:adj.夸张的,言过其实的;v.夸张,夸大(exaggerate的过去分词和过去式)
And indeed, our own internal assessment was very clear that Iraq's WMD did not pose a threat to its neighbors, let alone to us. 当然的,我们自己内部的评估很明确地指出 伊拉克的大规模杀伤性武器 不对其邻国构成威胁,更不用说对我们了。
internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的; assessment:n.评定;估价; pose:v.引起; n.装腔作势; (为画像、拍照等摆的)姿势; let alone:更不必说;听任;不打扰;
Secondly, the government had ignored all available alternatives to war, which in some ways was a more discreditable thing still. 其次,政府忽视了除了战争以外的所有可行的替代方案, 从某种角度说 这更加可耻。
ignored:v.忽视;对…不予理会;佯装未见;不予理睬;(ignore的过去分词和过去式) alternatives:n.可供选择的事物;(alternative的复数) discreditable:adj.丢脸的;不名誉的;有损信用的;败坏名声的;
The third reason, I won't go into. 第三个原因,我就不说了。
But anyway, I gave that testimony, and that presented me with a crisis . 但是不管怎么样,我所做的证词, 也给我自己带来了危机。
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
What was I going to do? 我将要做的事。
This testimony was deeply critical of my colleagues , of my ministers , who had, in my view had perpetrated a war on a falsehood . 这次的证词深深地批判了我的同僚们, 部长们,照我看来, 正是他们的错误导致了这场战争。
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); ministers:n.部长,大臣; v.辅助; (minister的第三人称单数和复数) perpetrated:v.犯(罪);做(错事);干(坏事);(perpetrate的过去分词和过去式) falsehood:n.说谎;假话;不真实;错误的信仰;
And so I was in crisis. 同时,我也身处危机之中。
And this wasn't a pretty thing. 这不是什么好事情。
I moaned about it, I hesitated , 我呻吟着,我徘徊着,
moaned:v.呻吟;抱怨;呼啸;发出萧萧声;(moan的过去分词和过去式) hesitated:v.(对某事)犹豫,迟疑不决;顾虑;疑虑;(hesitate的过去分词和过去式)
I went on and on and on to my long-suffering wife, and eventually I decided to resign from the British Foreign Service. 我同和我一起受煎熬的妻子一同坚持了下来, 终于,我决定从英国外交部辞职。
on and on:继续不停地; long-suffering:adj.坚忍的;长期忍受的;n.忍耐;坚忍;长期受苦; resign:v.辞职;辞去(某职务);
I felt -- there's a scene in the Al Pacino movie "The Insider ," which you may know, where he goes back to CBS after they've let him down over the tobacco guy, and he goes, "You know, I just can't do this anymore. Something's broken." 我感觉到--就好像艾尔帕西诺的电影“局内人”,你们可能看过那部电影, 他回到CBS 他们(CBS)对烟草公司内部人员决定使得他很失望, 然后他说,“你知道,我不能再干了。有些事不对劲。”
Insider:n.内部的人,会员;熟悉内情者;
And it was like that for me. I love that movie. 这就好像我一样。我很喜欢那部电影。
I felt just something's broken. 我感觉就是有些什么东西不对劲。
I can't actually sit with my foreign minister or my prime minister again with a smile on my face and do what I used to do gladly for them. 我不能再同我的外交部长 或者我的首相坐在一起谈笑风生, 像我原先所做的一样让他们高兴。
prime minister:n.首相;总理; gladly:adv.乐意地;高兴地;欢喜地;
So took a running leap and jumped over the edge of a cliff . 那感觉像飞跃起来 跳过悬崖的边缘。
leap:n.跳越;跳跃;跳高;骤变;v.跳;跳跃;跳越;猛冲; cliff:n.悬崖;绝壁;
And it was a very, very uncomfortable, unpleasant feeling. 那种感觉非常,非常的不舒服,也不愉快。
unpleasant:adj.令人不快的;不舒服的;不客气的
And I started to fall. 我开始觉得失落。
And today, that fall hasn't stopped; 直到今天,仍然没有停止;
I'm still falling. 我依然觉得失落。
But, in a way, I've got used to the sensation of it. 但是,从某种方式上说,我已经习惯了这种感觉。
sensation:n.感觉;轰动;感动;
And in a way, I kind of like the sensation of it a lot better than I like actually standing on top of the cliff, wondering what to do. 从某种方式上说,我甚至有点 更喜欢这种感觉。 比起我真正站在悬崖边 不知所措。
A second thing happened in Kosovo, which kind of -- I need a quick gulp of water, forgive me. 在科索沃发生的第二件事, 不好意思,我要喝点水。
gulp:vt.狼吞虎咽地吃;大口地吸;vi.哽住;喘不过气;n.一大口(尤指液体);吞咽; forgive:v.原谅;免除(债务,义务等);
A second thing happened in Kosovo, which kind of delivered the answer, which I couldn't really answer, which is, "What do I do with my life?" 在科索沃发生的第二件事, 是关于获得一个答案, 我也不能回答的答案, 那就是,“我要如何度过我的人生?”
I love diplomacy -- 我热爱外交。
I have no career -- 却没有一份职业。
I expected my entire life to be a diplomat, to be serving my country. 我期望我的整个人生都是一名外交家,为我的国家服务。
I wanted to be an ambassador , and my mentors , my heroes, people who got to the top of my profession , and here I was throwing it all away. 我希望成为一名大使, 我的导师们,我心目中的英雄们, 那些到达事业的顶峰的人们, 我现在却要舍弃这一切。
ambassador:n.大使;代表;使节; mentors:n.导师,教练(mentor复数); profession:n.行业,职业;业内人士;同行;
A lot of my friends were still in it. 我的很多朋友还在其中。
My pension was in it. 我的养老金也在。
pension:n.养老金;退休金;抚恤金;adj.有关退休金的;v.给…养老金[恤金,津贴等];
And I gave it up. 我却将它舍弃了。
And what was I going to do? 我下一步该怎么办呢?
And that year, in Kosovo, this terrible, terrible thing happened, which I saw. 那一年,在科索沃, 发生了一件非常,非常糟糕的事情。
In March 2004, there were terrible riots all over the province -- as it then was -- of Kosovo. 二零零四年三月,可怕的骚乱 遍布科索沃全部省份--那时的--科索沃
riots:n.暴动(riot的复数);v.骚乱(riot的第三人称单数形式);闹事;
18 people were killed. 十八个人被杀害。
It was anarchy . 那是场混战。
anarchy:n.无政府状态;混乱;无秩序;
And it's a very horrible thing to see anarchy, to know that the police and the military -- there were lots of military troops there -- actually can't stop that rampaging mob who's coming down the street. 无政府状态是很可怕的, 明知警察们,军队们-- 很多的部队驻扎在那里-- 却不能够阻止蜂拥到 街道上的疯狂暴民。
horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的, military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人; rampaging:v.横冲直撞;(rampage的现在分词) mob:n.人群;(尤指)暴民;一群;一帮;v.(鸟群或兽群)围攻;围拢;
And the only way that rampaging mob coming down the street will stop is when they decide to stop and when they've had enough burning and killing. 阻止那些冲到大街上的暴民的唯一方式是 他们自己决定停下来 当他们觉得烧够了,杀够了
And that is not a very nice feeling to see, and I saw it. 那真不是什么美好的感觉,我亲眼看到了
And I went through it. I went through those mobs . 我经历了这一切。我亲历了那些暴民。
mobs:n.人群; v.(鸟群或兽群)围攻; (mob的第三人称单数和复数)
And with my Albanian friends, we tried to stop it, but we failed. 同我的阿尔巴尼亚朋友们,我们试着去阻止,我们却失败了。
And that riot taught me something, which isn't immediately obvious and it's kind of a complicated story. 那次骚乱教会我一些事情, 不是很明显,也算是个复杂的故事。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
But one of the reasons that riot took place -- those riots, which went on for several days, took place -- was because the Kosovo people were disenfranchised from their own future. 发生骚乱的原因之一-- 那些骚乱,已经持续了好几天,-- 是因为科索沃人们 未来的公民权被剥夺了。
disenfranchised:v.剥夺(某人)的权利(尤指选举权);(disenfranchise的过去分词和过去式)
There were diplomatic negotiations about the future of Kosovo going on then, and the Kosovo government, let alone the Kosovo people, were not actually participating in those talks. 当时有个关于科索沃未来的 外交谈判, 科索沃政府,更不用说科索沃人们, 都没有实际地 参与到这些谈判中。
participating:v.参加;参与(participate的现在分词)
There was this whole fancy diplomatic system, this negotiation process about the future of Kosovo, and the Kosovars weren't part of it. 整体看似优良的外交系统, 这次关于科索沃未来的谈判过程, 科索沃却没有参加。
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象;
And funnily enough, they were frustrated about that. 可笑的是,他们感到很沮丧。
funnily:adv.有趣地,滑稽地;古怪的; frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词)
Those riots were part of the manifestation of that frustration . 骚乱是体现沮丧的一部分。
manifestation:n.表现;显示;示威运动; frustration:n.挫折;
It wasn't the only reason, and life is not simple, one reason narratives. 这并不是唯一的原因, 生活不是简简单单的,一个单一的故事。
It was a complicated thing, and I'm not pretending it was more simple than it was. 那是个复杂的事情, 我并不是要假装它比表面上看起来的要简单。
But that was one of the reasons. 但是,那是原因之一。
And that kind of gave me the inspiration -- or rather to be precise , it gave my wife the inspiration. 那给了我一个启发-- 或者更准确得说, 给了我妻子一个启发。
precise:adj.准确的;确切的;精确的;明确的;
She said, "Why don't you advise the Kosovars? 她说道,“你为什么不帮助科索沃呢?
advise:v.建议;通知;劝告;忠告;
Why don't you advise their government on their diplomacy?" 你为什么不在外交上帮助他们的政府呢?”
And the Kosovars were not allowed a diplomatic service. 科索沃不允许有外交服务。
They were not allowed diplomats. 他们不允许有外交官。
They were not allowed a foreign office to help them deal with this immensely complicated process, which became known as the Final Status Process of Kosovo. 他们不允许有外交部 帮助他们处理这个极其复杂的过程, 后来,这成为了众所周知的科索沃的最终地位进程。
immensely:adv.极大地;无限地;广大地;庞大地;
And so that was the idea. 这个想法就是这样来的。
That was the origin of the thing that became Independent Diplomat, the world's first diplomatic advisory group and a non-profit to boot. 那就是后来成为独立外交家的原始想法, 是世界上第一个外交事务咨询团体 而且也是非营利的。
origin:n.起源;起因;源头;出身; Independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等); advisory:adj.咨询的;顾问的;劝告的;n.报告;公告; non-profit:adj.非营利的;
And it began when I flew back from London after my time at the U.N. in Kosovo. 它开始于我飞回伦敦 在科索沃的联合国任期结束后。
I flew back and had dinner with the Kosovo prime minister and said to him, "Look, I'm proposing that I come and advise you on the diplomacy. 我飞回后,在同科索沃的首相晚餐时,我对他说, “看,我提议我来给你当外交参谋。
proposing:v.提议;建议;打算;计划;求婚;(propose的现在分词)
I know this stuff . It's what I do. Why don't I come and help you?" 我很了解这个领域。我就是做这个的。为什么我不来帮助你呢?”
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
And he raised his glass of raki to me and said, "Yes, Carne. Come." 他举起他的葡萄酒酒杯跟我说, “好,卡恩。来吧。”
raki:n.葡萄酒;梅酒;拉基烧酒;
And I came to Kosovo and advised the Kosovo government. 于是我来到了科索沃 为科索沃政府出谋献策。
advised:adj.考虑过的; v.劝告; (advise的过去分词和过去式)
Independent Diplomat ended up advising three successive Kosovo prime ministers and the multi-party negotiation team of Kosovo. 独立外交家最终帮助了三位科索沃首相 和科索沃多党派的谈判。
advising:v.劝告;忠告;建议;通知;(advise的现在分词) successive:adj.连续的;继承的;依次的;接替的;
And Kosovo became independent. 科索沃独立了。
Independent Diplomat is now established in five diplomatic centers around the world, and we're advising seven or eight different countries, or political groups, depending on how you wish to define them -- and I'm not big on definitions . 独立外交家也从此在世界上五个外交中心 建立起来了, 我们帮助咨询了七到八个 不同的国家,政治团体, 根据你如何定义他们-- 我不太注重定义。
established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式) define:v.定义;使明确;规定; definitions:n.[数]定义(definition的复数形式);
We're advising the Northern Cypriots on how to reunify their island. 我们给予北塞关于如何统一它的岛屿的建议。
reunify:vt.使重新统一;再统一,再联合;
We're advising the Burmese opposition , the government of Southern Sudan, which -- you heard it here first -- is going to be a new country within the next few years. 我们为缅甸反对派做咨询, 一个苏丹南部政府, 你可能第一次听说他们-- 在接下来的几年内将成为一个新的国家。
opposition:n.反对党;对立;在野党;对抗;
We're advising the Polisario Front of the Western Sahara, who are fighting to get their country back from Moroccan occupation after 34 years of dispossession . 我们给波利萨里奥阵线西撒哈拉提建议, 他们为他们的国家 同摩洛哥而战 夺回34年的被剥夺的领土。
Moroccan:adj.摩洛哥的;n.摩洛哥人; occupation:n.职业;占领;占用;工作; dispossession:n.剥夺;驱逐;强占不动产;
We're advising various island states in the climate change negotiations, which is suppose to culminate in Copenhagen . 我们帮助多个岛国谈判气候变化 将会在哥本哈根达到 高潮。
suppose:v.推断:假定:假设:设想: culminate:v.(以某种结果)告终;(在某一点)结束; Copenhagen:n.哥本哈根(丹麦首都);
There's a bit of randomness here too because, when I was beginning Independent Diplomat, 这里也有随机性 因为,当我开始成为一名独立外交家时,
I went to a party in the House of Lords , which is a ridiculous place, but I was holding my drink like this, and I bumped into this guy who was standing behind me. 我参加了英国上议院的聚会, 真是很有趣, 我就这样拿着酒杯,但遇见了 站在我后边的人
House of Lords:n.(英国)上议院;上议院大楼; ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的; bumped:v.碰,撞;碰上,撞上;颠簸行进(bump的过去分词和过去式)
And we started talking, and he said -- 我们开始谈话,他说道--
I told him what I was doing, and I told him rather grandly 我告诉他我是干什么的, 我很隆重地告诉他
grandly:adv.盛大地;宏伟地;堂皇地;
I was going to establish Independent Diplomat in New York. 我要在纽约成立独立外交家。
At that time there was just me -- and me and my wife were moving back to New York. 那个时候,只有我, 我和我的妻子准备搬去纽约
And he said, "Why don't you see my colleagues in New York?" 他说道,“为什么你不来看看我在纽约的同事们呢?”
And it turned out he worked for an innovation company called ? What If !, which some of you have probably heard of. 结果是 他为一家叫?如果!的创新公司工作。 你们中的有些人可能听说过。
innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法; What If:如果…怎么办?
And one thing led to another, and I ended up having a desk in ?What If! in New York, when I started Independent Diplomat. 于是一件事引向了另一件事, 我最后在 纽约的?如果!公司工作, 当我开始独立外交家的时候。
And watching ?What If! 看到?如果!
develop new flavors of chewing gum for Wrigley or new flavors for Coke actually helped me innovate new strategies for the Kosovars and for the Saharawis of the Western Sahara. 为箭牌发明了一种新的口香糖口味 或者可乐的新口味 实际上帮助我想到 新的外交策略,为科索沃 为西部撒哈拉。
flavors:n.风味调料(flavor复数);v.添加味道(flavor的三单形式); chewing gum:n.口香糖; innovate:vi.创新;改革;革新;vt.改变;创立;创始;引人; strategies:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;(strategy的复数)
And I began to realize that there are different ways of doing diplomacy -- that diplomacy, like business, is a business of solving problems, and yet the word innovation doesn't exist in diplomacy; it's all zero sum games and realpolitik 我开始意识到有很多不同的方式来做外交, 外交,就好像做生意, 是个解决问题的经营, 虽然在外交中不存在创新这个词; 这一切都是零和游戏以及现实政治
realpolitik:n.现实政治;权力政治;实力政策;
and ancient institutions that have been there for generations and do things the same way they've always done things. 以及存在了几个世纪的元老型机构 和他们一直处理事情的方式。
institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数)
And Independent Diplomat, today, tries to incorporate some of the things I learned at ?What If!. 独立外交家,今天看来, 尝试将我在?如果!学到的一些东西整合起来。
incorporate:vt.包含,吸收; vi.合并; adj.合并的;
We all sit in one office and shout at each other across the office. 我们都在一间办公室,同办公室内的其他人大吵大嚷。
We all work on little laptops and try to move desks to change the way we think. 我们都在小型笔记本上工作,试着用移动桌子来改变我们的思维方式。
laptops:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑;(laptop的复数)
And we use naive experts who may know nothing about the countries we're dealing with, but may know something about something else to try to inject new thinking into the problems that we try to address for our clients . 我们用天真的专家们 他们可能对我们面对的国家一无所知, 但是他们可能知道一些其他的事情 尝试将新的想法注入 到问题解决中 这正是我们尝试传达给客户的。
naive:adj.天真的,幼稚的; inject:v.注入;注射; clients:n.委托人;当事人;客户机;(client的复数)
It's not easy, because our clients, by definition, are having a difficult time, diplomatically . 这并不简单,因为我们的客户,按定义来说, 都在外交上困难重重
diplomatically:adv.在外交上;靠外交途径;圆滑地;婉转地;
There are, I don't know, some lessons from all of this, personal and political -- and in a way, they're the same thing. 我不知道, 从中的一些经验教训, 个人的,政治上的-- 从某种意义上说,都是同样的。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
The personal one is falling off a cliff is actually a good thing, and I recommend it. 从个人角度上说, 就是从悬崖上摔下去 这实际上是一件好事,我向你们推荐。
recommend:v.推荐;介绍;劝告;建议;使受欢迎;
And it's a good thing to do at least once in your life just to tear everything up and jump. 在你的人生中这么做一次实际上挺好 只是将一切舍弃再跳跃。
The second thing is a bigger lesson about the world today. 第二件事是关于今天这个世界的一个更大的教训。
Independent Diplomat is part of a trend which is emerging and evident across the world, which is that the world is fragmenting. 独立外交家是趋势的一部分 它正在世界各地兴起,势不可挡, 世界正在瓦解。
trend:n.趋势;动向;趋向;动态;v.走向;趋向; emerging:adj.新兴的;v.出现,浮现,露出;暴露;(emerge的现在分词) evident:adj.明显的;明白的;
States mean less than they used to, and the power of the state is declining . 国家跟它以往的意义相比,已经少了很多, 国家的权利也在下降。
declining:v.减少;下降;衰弱;谢绝;婉言拒绝;(decline的现在分词)
That means the power of others things is rising. 那意味着其他东西的权利在上升。
Those other things are called non-state actors. 那些是被称为非国家的东西。
They may be corporations , they may be mafiosi, they may be nice NGOs, they may anything, any number of things. 它们可能是大公司, 它们可能是黑手党,它们可能是好的非营利性组织, 它们可能是任何东西, 任何数量的东西。
corporations:n.[贸易]公司,[经]企业(corporation的复数形式);
We are living in a more complicated and fragmented world. 我们生活在一个更加复杂更加支离破碎的世界中。
fragmented:v.(使)碎裂,破裂,分裂;(fragment的过去分词和过去式)
If governments are less able to affect the problems that affect us in the world, then that means, who is left to deal with them, who has to take greater responsibility to deal with them? 如果政府缺乏影响问题 的能力 从而影响到在这个世界上的我们, 那么意味着,接下来谁将来面对它们, 谁来担负起更大的责任来面对它们?
Us. 我们。
If they can't do it, who's left to deal with it? 如果它们做不了,谁将去解决?
We have no choice but to embrace that reality. 我们没有选择,只能接受现实。
embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;
What this means is it's no longer good enough to say that international relations, or global affairs, or chaos in Somalia, or what's going on in Burma is none of your business , and that you can leave it to governments to get on with . 那就是 这些将不能再被说成是足够好的, 国际关系或者说全球大事, 或者是索马里的混乱, 又或者是在缅甸发生的事情都跟你没有关系, 你可以把这些交给政府来处理。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; chaos:n.混沌,混乱; Burma:n.缅甸(东南亚国家); none of your business:不关你的事;没你的事; get on with:v.在…获得成功,于…友好相处;继续干;
I can connect any one of you by six degrees of separation to the Al-Shabaab militia in Somalia. 我能够将你们中的任何一个人 用六度分离法 同索马里的青年保卫兵联系起来。
separation:n.分离;分开;分割;隔离; militia:n.民兵组织;自卫队;义勇军;国民军;
Ask me how later, particularly if you eat fish, interestingly enough, but that connection is there. 待会儿再问我怎么样,但是如果你吃鱼,很有趣的是, 那就是一种联系
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; interestingly:adv.有趣地;
We are all intimately connected. 我们都紧密地联系在一起
intimately:adv.熟悉地;亲切地;私下地;
And this isn't just Tom Friedman, it's actually provable in case after case after case. 这不仅仅是汤姆 弗莱德曼, 这实际上可以通过一个又一个的案件证实。
provable:adj.可证明的;可以查清的;
What that means is, instead of asking your politicians to do things, you have to look to yourself to do things. 那意味着,除了要你们的政治家们处理事情, 你们得自己处理事情。
politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数)
And Independent Diplomat is a kind of example of this in a sort of loose way. 独立外交家算是这样的一个例子 不严密的例子。
loose:adj.宽松的; v.释放; v.松散地; n.放纵;
There aren't neat examples, but one example is this: the way the world is changing is embodied in what's going on at the place I used to work -- the U.N. Security Council. 没有完美的例子,但是有这样一个例子: 世界运行的方式正在改变 我过去工作过的地方也在改变, 联合国安理会也在改变。
embodied:v.呈现(embody的过去式及过去分词形式);具体表达;
The U.N. was established in 1945. 联合国成立于一九四五年。
Its charter is basically designed to stop conflicts between states -- interstate conflict. 联合国宪章基本上 适用于阻止国家间的冲突-- 利益冲突
charter:n.章程; v.包租(飞机、船等); basically:adv.主要地,基本上; conflicts:n.冲突; v.抵触; interstate:adj.州际的;州与州之间的;n.(美)州际公路;
Today, 80 percent of the agenda of the U.N. Security Council is about conflicts within states, involving non-state parties -- guerillas , separatists , terrorists, if you want to call them that, people who are not normal governments, who are not normal states. 今天,联合国安理会 百分之八十的日程 都是国内的冲突, 牵扯到非执政党-- 游击队,分离主义分子, 恐怖分子,如果你们想这么称呼他们, 他们是非政府的,非正式国家的人们。
agenda:n.议事日程; involving:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加;(involve的现在分词) guerillas:n.游击队;游击队员;adj.游击的; separatists:n.分离主义分子;分离派(separatist的复数);
That is the state of the world today. 那就是现今这个世界的状况。
When I realized this, and when I look back on my time at the Security Council and what happened with the Kosovars, and I realize that often the people who were most directly affected by what we were doing in the Security Council weren't actually there, weren't actually invited to give their views to the Security Council, 当我意识到这一点, 当我回顾我在安理会的时光 科索沃所发生的事情, 我意识到通常 那些最直接受 我们在安理会所作的决定的影响的人们 却不在那里,却没有受到邀请 在安理会发表他们的观点,
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
I thought, this is wrong. 我认为,这是不对的。
Something's got to be done about this. 我们应该修正这个。
So I started off in a traditional mode. 所以,我开始了传统的方式。
traditional:传统的,惯例的,
Me and my colleagues at Independent Diplomat went around the U.N. Security Council. 我和我在独立外交家的同事们 走访了联合国安理会
We went around 70 U.N. member states -- the Kazaks, the Ethiopians, the Israelis -- you name them, we went to see them -- the secretary general , all of them, and said, "This is all wrong. 我们拜访了七十个联合国会员国-- 哈萨克人,埃塞俄比亚人,以色列人-- 你可以一一列举,我们拜访了他们-- 联合国秘书长,他们所有的人, 都说, 这不对
Israelis:以色列人,以色列国民(Israeli的名词复数); secretary general:n.秘书长;总书记;
This is terrible that you don't consult these people who are actually affected. 你不跟那些直接有关系的人们探讨是很糟的。
consult:v.咨询;请教;商量;查阅;查询;参看;
You've got to institutionalize a system where you actually invite the Kosovars to come and tell you what they think. 你应该建立一个系统 你可以真正邀请科索沃人 前来告诉你他们是怎么想的。
institutionalize:vt.使…制度化;
This will allow you to tell me -- you can tell them what you think. 这使得你告诉我--你可以告诉他们你是怎么想的。
It'll be great. You can have an exchange . 它太棒了。你们可以互换。
exchange:n.交换;交流;交易所;兑换;v.交换;交易;兑换;
You can actually incorporate these people's views into your decisions, which means your decisions will be more effective and durable ." 你可以将这些人的观点整合进你的决定中, 这样你的决定变得最有效,最耐用。“
effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; durable:adj.耐用的;耐久的;长期的;长久的;n.耐久品;
Super-logical, you would think. 完美的逻辑,你可能这么想。
I mean, incredibly logical . So obvious, anybody could get it. 我说,这个想法太棒了。很明显的,任何人都能做到。
logical:adj.合逻辑的,合理的;逻辑学的;
And of course, everybody got it. Everybody went, "Yes, of course, you're absolutely right. 当然,每个人都懂了。每个人都说,”对,当然得,你绝对正确。
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
Come back to us in maybe six months." 六个月后 回来吧。“
And of course, nothing happened -- nobody did anything. 当然,什么都没有发生。没有人做任何事情
The Security Council does its business in exactly the same way today that it did X number of years ago, when I was there 10 years ago. 安理会还是老样子 今天做事的方式同 以往的方式一模一样, 同我十年前在那里的时候一样
So we looked at that observation of basically failure and thought, what can we do about it. 我们看着 这次的失败, 想着我们还能做些什么。
observation:n.观察;观测;监视;(尤指据所见、所闻、所读而作的)评论;
And I thought, I'm buggered if I'm going to spend the rest of my life lobbying for these crummy governments to do what needs to be done. 我想到,如果我 将我的余生用于 游说于这些政府 我会累死的。
buggered:n.家伙;同性恋者;鸡奸者;vt.与…鸡奸;毁坏; lobbying:v.游说(从政者或政府);(lobby的现在分词) crummy:adj.微不足道的;寒酸的;肮脏的;
So what we're going to do is we're actually going to set up these meetings ourselves. 所以,接下来 我们自己举办这些会议。
So now, Independent Diplomat is in the process of setting up meetings between the U.N. Security Council and the parties to the disputes that are on the agenda of the Security Council. 现在,独立外交家 正在筹备在联合国安理会 和充满纠纷的党派之间 的会议 在安理会日程上的会议。
in the process of:在…的过程中; disputes:n.争论(dispute的复数);v.争论(dispute的单数第三人称);
So we will be bringing 我们带来了
Darfuri rebel groups, the Northern Cypriots and the Southern Cypriots, rebels from Aceh, and awful long laundry list of chaotic conflicts around the world. 达尔富尔反政府组织, 北塞普勒斯人和南塞普勒斯人, 来自亚齐省的叛军, 还有造成世界混乱冲突的 一份长长的名单。
rebels:n.反叛者(rebel的复数形式);v.谋反(rebel的第三人称单数形式); laundry list:n.一长串名单;清单; chaotic:adj.混沌的;混乱的,无秩序的;
And we will be trying to bring the parties to New York to sit down in a quiet room in a private setting with no press and actually explain what they want to the members of the U. N. Security Council, and for the members of the U.N. Security Council to explain to them what they want. 我们打算将各党派带到纽约 在一间安静的房屋做下来 没有媒体的私下面谈 同联合国的安理会的成员们 好好谈谈他们想要什么, 联合国的安理会成员们也来谈谈 他们想要什么。
So there's actually a conversation, which has never before happened. 这样一个真实的谈话, 从来没有发生过的谈话。
And of course, describing all this, any of you who know politics will think this is incredibly difficult, and I entirely agree with you. 当然,描述这些, 任何对政治有所了解的人都知道这相当相当的困难, 我完全的赞同。
describing:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的现在分词) politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
The chances of failure are very high, but it certainly won't happen if we don't try to make it happen. 失败的可能性非常非常高, 但是并不是不可能发生 如果我们尽力促使它发生。
And my politics has changed fundamentally from when I was a diplomat to what I am today, and I think that outputs is what matters, not process, not technology , frankly, so much either. 我的政治观点完全改变了 从我是一名外交家到今天的我, 我认为结果是重要的,而不是过程, 坦白的说,也不是科技。
fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地 outputs:n.[计]输出; v.生产; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
Preach technology to all the Twittering members of all the Iranian demonstrations who are now in political prison in Tehran , where Ahmadinejad remains in power. 宣讲技术 所有伊朗示威的Twittering成员 现在正在德黑兰的政治监狱里, 那里内贾德依旧掌权。
Preach:v.宣扬;说教;布道;n.说教;训诫; Twittering:v.(鸟)唧啾,唧唧喳喳地说话;(twitter的现在分词) Iranian:adj.伊朗的;伊朗人的;伊朗语的;n.伊朗人;伊朗语; demonstrations:n.示范,展示(demonstration复数); Tehran:n.德黑兰;
Technology has not delivered political change in Iran. 在伊朗,科技不再传达政治变革。
You've got to look at the outputs, and you got to say to yourself, "What can I do to produce that particular output?" 看看结果,你会对自己说, ”我能对造成这样的结果做些什么吗?“
That is the politics of the 21st century, and in a way, Independent Diplomat embodies that fragmentation , that change, that is happening to all of us. 这就是二十一世纪世界的政治。 从某种方式上说,独立外交家 呈现出了那些正在发生的我们身边的 那些片断,那些改变。
embodies:vt.体现,使具体化;具体表达; fragmentation:n.破碎;分裂;[计]存储残片;
That's my story. Thanks. 那就是我的故事。谢谢。