返回首页

CarlSafina_2015Z-_动物在想什么?_

Have you ever wondered what animals think and feel? 你可曾想过动物在想什么?感受为何?
Let's start with a question: 我们从这问题讲起:
Does my dog really love me, or does she just want a treat ? 我的狗真的爱我?还是她只想吃零食?
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
Well, it's easy to see that our dog really loves us, easy to see, right, what's going on in that fuzzy little head. 当然我们都知道我们的狗是真的爱我们。 简单就看得出来,对吧? 可以想像这些毛绒绒的小脑袋里想着什么吗?
fuzzy:adj.模糊的;失真的;有绒毛的;
What is going on? 所以牠们到底在想什么?
Something's going on. 一定有些事。
But why is the question always do they love us? 但是为什么我们总是问牠们是否爱我们?
Why is it always about us? 为什么问题总是关于我们?
Why are we such narcissists ? 为何我们如此自恋?
narcissists:n.自我陶醉者;
I found a different question to ask animals. 我想问动物另一个问题:
Who are you? 你是谁?
There are capacities of the human mind that we tend to think are capacities only of the human mind. 人类的智力具有数种能力, 我们一向认为是只有人类才拥有的能力。
capacities:n.能力;容量;性能;生产量(capacity的复数);
But is that true? 但是事实真是如此吗?
What are other beings doing with those brains? 其他生物跟脑有何关系?
What are they thinking and feeling? 牠们思考和感受到什么?
Is there a way to know? 能有办法知道吗?
I think there is a way in. 我认为可以,
I think there are several ways in. 我认为有一些方法可以。
We can look at evolution , we can look at their brains and we can watch what they do. 我们可以看看演化过程,我们可以看看牠们的大脑, 我们也可以观察牠们的习性。
evolution:n.演变;进化;发展;渐进;
The first thing to remember is: our brain is inherited . 首先要记得:我们的头脑是演化继承而来的。
inherited:v.继承(金钱、财产等);接替(责任等);继任;(inherit的过去式和过去分词)
The first neurons came from jellyfish . 最古老的神经元来自水母。
jellyfish:n.水母;[无脊椎]海蜇;软弱无能的人;
Jellyfish gave rise to the first chordates . 水母演化成早期的脊索动物,
chordates:n.脊索动物;脊睡物门;脊睡物(chordate的复数);
The first chordates gave rise to the first vertebrates . 脊索动物演化成脊椎动物,
vertebrates:n.[脊椎]脊椎动物(vertebrate的复数);
The vertebrates came out of the sea, and here we are. 脊椎动物走出海洋, 然后演化成我们。
But it's still true that a neuron , a nerve cell, looks the same in a crayfish , a bird or you. 然而,这仍是事实:神经元、神经细胞看起来都一样, 不管存在于小龙虾、鸟,或是你都一样。
neuron:n.[解剖]神经元,神经单位; nerve:n.神经;勇气;神经质;神经紧张;v.鼓足勇气;振作精神; crayfish:n.小龙虾;
What does that say about the minds of crayfish? 那这些事实又怎样说明小龙虾的头脑呢?
Can we tell anything about that? 我们能知道什么?
Well, it turns out that if you give a crayfish a lot of little tiny electric shocks every time it tries to come out of its burrow , it will develop anxiety . 我们发现如果你给一只小龙虾 多次的微量电击, 每次牠想从地洞里出来时都这么做的话, 牠会变得紧张。
electric:n.供电;adj.电的;用电的;电动的;发电的; burrow:n.地洞,洞穴v.挖掘;穴居;潜伏; anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事;
If you give the crayfish the same drug used to treat anxiety disorder in humans, it relaxes and comes out and explores . 如果你给小龙虾人类的药物, 一些治疗人类焦虑症的药物, 牠会放鬆然后爬出来走一走。
disorder:n.混乱;骚乱;vt.使失调;扰乱; relaxes:vi.放松,休息;松懈,松弛;变从容;休养;vt.放松;使休息;使松弛;缓和;使松懈; explores:v.探索; (explore的第三人称单数)
How do we show how much we care about crayfish anxiety? 那如何呈现我们多么在乎小龙虾的焦虑?
Mostly, we boil them. 我们大都把牠们烹煮了吧。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Octopuses use tools, as well as do most apes and they recognize human faces. 章鱼也使用工具,做得跟多数猿类一样熟练, 牠们也会识别人脸。
Octopuses:章鱼(octopus的名词复数); as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且; apes:n.[脊椎]猿;猩猩;类人猿(ape的复数);v.模仿;仿效(ape的三单形式); recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
How do we celebrate the ape-like intelligence of this invertebrate ? 我们要如何赞颂这如猿类智力般的无脊椎动物?
intelligence:n.智力;智慧;才智;(尤指关于敌国的)情报; invertebrate:adj.无脊椎的;无骨气的;n.无脊椎动物;无骨气的人;
Mostly boiled. 我们大都把牠们烹煮了吧。
If a grouper chases a fish into a crevice in the coral , it will sometimes go to where it knows a moray eel is sleeping and it will signal to the moray, "Follow me," 如果石斑鱼将鱼赶到珊瑚缝中, 牠有时候会游去已知道有海鳗睡觉的地方, 然后对着海鳗发出「跟我走」的信号,
grouper:n.石斑鱼;鲶科鱼;鲈科之鱼; crevice:n.裂缝;裂隙; coral:n.珊瑚;珊瑚虫;adj.珊瑚的;珊瑚色的; moray:n.海鳗;
and the moray will understand that signal. 海鳗可以理解牠的意思,
The moray may go into the crevice and get the fish, but the fish may bolt and the grouper may get it. 然后跟着游进珊瑚缝去捕猎鱼, 但鱼可能逃脱,而石斑鱼就可以逮到牠。
bolt:n.螺栓; v.狼吞虎咽; v.突然;
This is an ancient partnership that we have just recently found out about. 这种古老的合作关系我们最近才发现。
partnership:n.合伙;[经管]合伙企业;合作关系;合伙契约; recently:adv.最近;新近;
How do we celebrate that ancient partnership? 我们要如何赞颂这古老的合作关系?
Mostly fried. 我们大都把牠们炸了吧!
A pattern is emerging and it says a lot more about us than it does about them. 这些行为模式的出现更加清楚说明了我们的行为, 并不单只是说明了牠们的。
emerging:adj.新兴的;v.出现,浮现,露出;暴露;(emerge的现在分词)
Sea otters use tools and they take time away from what they're doing to show their babies what to do, which is called teaching. 水濑会用工具, 而且他们挪出时间 示范动作给牠们的宝宝看,这就是教学。
Chimpanzees don't teach. 黑猩猩没有教学行为。
Chimpanzees:n.[脊椎]黑猩猩(chimpanzee的复数);
Killer whales teach and killer whales share food. 虎鲸不但会教学,也会分享食物。
When evolution makes something new, it uses the parts it has in stock , off the shelf, before it fabricates a new twist . 在演化创造新生物时, 保留原有部分的血统体系, 再分化转变。
stock:n.股票; v.库存; adj.老一套的; fabricates:vt.制造;伪造;装配; twist:v.捻;扭转;曲折;扭动;n.捻;拧;扭动;搓;
And our brain has come to us through the enormity of the deep sweep of time. 而我们现在所演化而成的大脑 历经了时间的巨轮。
enormity:n.巨大;暴行;极恶;
If you look at the human brain compared to a chimpanzee brain, what you see is we have basically a very big chimpanzee brain. 如果你拿人类的大脑与黑猩猩的大脑来比较, 你看到的基本上是我们有一颗很大的黑猩猩大脑。
compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
It's a good thing ours is bigger, because we're also really insecure . 我们头脑较大是好事,因为我们很真的很没信心。
insecure:adj.不安全的;不稳定的;不牢靠的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
But, uh oh, there's a dolphin , a bigger brain with more convolutions . 然而... 喔哦...这是的海豚大脑。 这是更大的脑,皱折也更多。
dolphin:n.海豚; convolutions:肠曲;
OK, maybe you're saying, all right, well, we see brains, but what does that have to say about minds? 好了,也许你会说:「没错我们看到大脑, 但这跟心智有什么关系呢?」
Well, we can see the working of the mind in the logic of behaviors. 嗯,我们可以看到心智 在行为逻辑中的活动。
logic:n.逻辑;逻辑学;逻辑性;adj.逻辑的;
So these elephants, you can see, obviously, they are resting. 所以你看这些大象 很明显正在休息。
They have found a patch of shade under the palm trees under which to let their babies sleep, while they doze but remain vigilant . 牠们在棕梠树下找到一方树荫, 作为牠们宝宝睡觉的地方, 牠们自己则在小盹中也仍维持警戒。
patch:n.补丁;小片;眼罩;色斑;v.修补;打补丁;缝补; shade:n.阴凉处;色度;灯罩;背阴;v.给…遮挡(光线);加灯罩;把…涂暗;画阴影; palm:n.手掌;手心;棕榈树;v.把…藏在手中(尤指玩戏法); doze:vi.打瞌睡;假寐;vt.打瞌睡度过;n.瞌睡; vigilant:adj.警惕的;警醒的;注意的;警戒的;
We make perfect sense of that image just as they make perfect sense of what they're doing because under the arc of the same sun on the same plains, listening to the howls of the same dangers, they became who they are and we became who we are. 我们相当能理解这个景象, 就像动物完全可以理解他们正在做什么, 因为同在一个太阳下、同一片平原上, 聆听着相同危险的怒号声音, 牠们演化成牠们如今的模样,正如我们演化成现成我们现今的模样。
We've been neighbors for a very long time. 我们有很长一段时间一直为相比为邻。
No one would mistake these elephants as being relaxed . 没人会误以为这些大象的情绪是鬆懈的,
relaxed:adj.轻松的;冷静的;v.放松;休息;宽慰;(relax的过去分词和过去式)
They're obviously very concerned about something. 牠们显然正担心某些事物。
concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
What are they concerned about? 牠们在担心什么呢?
It turns out that if you record the voices of tourists and you play that recording from a speaker hidden in bushes , elephants will ignore it, because tourists never bother elephants. 如果你将游客的声音录下来, 然后从草丛里的扩音器播放音檔, 大象会无视录音,因为大象从不会操心游客。
bushes:n.灌木;荒野;林区;(bush的复数) ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬; bother:v.烦扰,打扰;使…不安;操心,麻烦;n.麻烦;烦恼;
But if you record the voices of herders who carry spears and often hurt elephants in confrontations at water holes, the elephants will bunch up and run away from the hidden speaker. 但如果你录的是牧人的声音, 牧人都携带长矛且经常在水源地和大象对峙, 大象就会集结在一起跑走,远离隐藏的扩音器,
herders:n.牧人;(美俚)监狱看守; confrontations:[军]对抗; bunch:n.群;串;突出物;vi.隆起;打褶;形成一串;vt.使成一串;使打褶;
Not only do elephants know that there are humans, they know that there are different kinds of humans, and that some are OK and some are dangerous. 大象不仅知道这是人类的声音, 他们也知道人类分为好几种, 有些人类还是好的,有些人类则是危险的。
They have been watching us for much longer than we have been watching them. 大象观察我们的时间远比我们观察牠们的时间多。
They know us better than we know them. 牠们了解我们的程度远超过我们了解牠们的程度。
We have the same imperatives : take care of our babies, find food, try to stay alive. 我们和大象有相同的生存责任: 照顾婴儿、觅食、试着活下去。
imperatives:n.祈使句;命令句;adj.必要的,紧急的;命令的;
Whether we're outfitted for hiking in the hills of Africa or outfitted for diving under the sea, we are basically the same. 无论是我们是穿戴旅行装备健走在非洲的山丘, 或是穿戴潜水装备潜入海底,我们基本上都是一样的,
outfitted:n.机构;用具;全套装备;vi.得到装备;vt.配备;供应; diving:n.潜水;跳水;跳水运动;v.下潜;跳水;潜水;(dive的现在分词)
We are kin under the skin. 我们在皮囊之下是一样的。
kin:n.亲戚;家族;同族;adj.同类的;有亲属关系的;性质类似的;
The elephant has the same skeleton , the killer whale has the same skeleton , as do we. 大象有相同的骨架, 杀人鲸有相同的骨架, 我们亦是如此。
skeleton:n.骨架,骨骼;纲要;骨瘦如柴的人;adj.骨骼的;骨瘦如柴的;概略的; killer whale:n.虎鲸;逆戟鲸;恶鲸;杀人鲸;
We see helping where help is needed. 我们能看到牠们互相幫助,
We see curiosity in the young. 我们明白年幼者的好奇心,
curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩;
We see the bonds of family connections. 我们了解家人之间的联系,
We recognize affection. 我们领悟爱情,
Courtship is courtship. 追求爱。
Courtship:n.求爱;求婚;求爱期;
And then we ask, "Are they conscious ?" 于是我们想问:「动物也有意识吗?」
conscious:adj.意识到的;故意的;神志清醒的;
When you get general anesthesia , it makes you unconscious , which means you have no sensation of anything. 如果你服用了麻醉剂,你就会暂时失去意识, 也就是说你对任何事情都不会有知觉。
anesthesia:n.麻醉;麻木(等于anaesthesia); unconscious:adj.无意识的;失去知觉的;未发觉的; sensation:n.感觉;轰动;感动;
Consciousness is simply the thing that feels like something. 意识简单地说就是感觉与比对。
Consciousness:n.意识;知觉;觉悟;感觉;
If you see, if you hear, if you feel, if you're aware of anything, you are conscious, and they are conscious. 如果你看见、听见感觉、认知到任何东西, 你就是有意识的,而且动物也是。
Some people say well, there are certain things that make humans humans, and one of those things is empathy . 有人说, 人之所以为人,有一些特点, 其中之一就是同理心。
empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着;
Empathy is the mind's ability to match moods with your companions . 同理心是能够感受同伴情绪的心灵力量。
moods:n.情绪(mood的复数); companions:n.同伴;同事(companion的复数);伴随物;v.陪伴;伴随(companion的三单形式);
It's a very useful thing. 这是有益的事情。
If your companions start to move quickly, you have to feel like you need to hurry up. 如果同伴开始快速动作, 你便会觉得也应该加快脚步,
We're all in a hurry now. 我们都在急促追赶中。
The oldest form of empathy is contagious fear. 同理心最古老的一种形式就是具有传染力的恐惧。
contagious:adj.感染性的;会蔓延的;
If your companions suddenly startle and fly away, it does not work very well for you to say, "Jeez, I wonder why everybody just left." 如果你的同伴突然受惊吓且全部飞走, 如果你还像这样悠悠哉哉地说: 「老天,为何大家都飞走了!」这对你没有什么幫助。
startle:v.使惊吓;使吓一跳;n.惊愕;惊恐;吃惊;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Empathy is old, but empathy, like everything else in life, comes on a sliding scale and has its elaboration . 同理心虽然存在已久,但像生活大小事一样, 排山倒海而来,有其精密复杂。
sliding scale:n.浮动费率制(根据情况上下浮动费率的交纳制度); elaboration:n.苦心经营,精巧;详细阐述;
So there's basic empathy: you feel sad, it makes me sad. 基本的同理心是:如果你很难过,我也会跟着难过,
I see you happy, it makes me happy. 我看见你高兴,所以我也高兴。
Then there's something that I call sympathy , a little more removed: "I'm sorry to hear that your grandmother has just passed away. 还有一种情感我称之为同情心, 情绪稍微疏离一点: 「我很难过听到你祖母刚过世的消息。」
sympathy:n.同情;慰问;赞同;
I don't feel that same grief , but I get it; I know what you feel and it concerns me." 虽然我没有感到同样的悲伤,但我懂,我知道那感觉, 这让我担心。
grief:n.悲痛;忧伤;不幸; concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式);
And then if we're motivated to act on sympathy, 而如果我们被触发了同情心因而产生行动,
motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机;
I call that compassion . 我称那为怜悯。
compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
Far from being the thing that makes us human, human empathy is far from perfect. 这根本不是人类独特所有, 人类同理心也并非那么完美。
We round up empathic creatures , we kill them and we eat them. 我们围捕拥有同理心的动物,杀死牠们,把牠们吃掉。
empathic:adj.移情作用的;神入的; creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数)
Now, maybe you say OK, well, those are different species . 你可能会说:好了,好吧。牠们是不同物种嘛。
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
That's just predation , and humans are predators . 肉若强食很正常啊,人类是肉食动物。
predation:n.捕食;掠夺; predators:n.捕食性动物;实行弱肉强食的人(或机构);掠夺者;(predator的复数)
But we don't treat our own kind too well either. 然而我们对待同胞也没多好。
People who seem to know only one thing about animal behavior know that you must never attribute human thoughts and emotions to other species. 人们也似乎只认识一种动物行为, 就是你绝对不能将人类的思想和情绪 套用在其他物种身上。
attribute:n.属性;象征;v.把…归因于;认为…属于;认为某人(某物)具有某种特性; emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数)
Well, I think that's silly, because attributing human thoughts and emotions to other species is the best first guess about what they're doing and how they're feeling, because their brains are basically the same as ours. 我觉得这是愚蠢的, 因为把人类思绪和情感套用在其他物种身上, 是了解牠们的最佳第一步,猜测牠们在做什么、感觉如何, 因为牠们的大脑基本上和我们一样,
attributing:v.归因;归于(attribute的现在分词);
They have the same structures . 有相同的结构,
structures:n.结构; v.建造(structure的第三人称单数形式);
The same hormones that create mood and motivation in us are in those brains as well. 造就我们情绪与动力的贺尔蒙 也同样在牠们的大脑中。
hormones:n.[生理]激素;荷尔蒙;性激素;荷尔蒙制剂(hormone的复数); motivation:n.动机;积极性;推动;
It is not scientific to say that they are hungry when they're hunting and they're tired when their tongues are hanging out, and then say when they're playing with their children and acting joyful and happy, we have no idea if they can possibly be experiencing anything. 这并不是科学的说法:牠们饿了才会猎食、 牠们舌头垂在外面时,就表示牠们是累了。 或者说,当牠们和孩子玩耍, 行为表现喜悦和快乐的时候, 我们无从了解是否牠们真的感受如此。
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的; joyful:adj.欢喜的;令人高兴的;
That is not scientific. 这些说法不科学。
So OK, so a reporter said to me, "Maybe, but how do you really know that other animals can think and feel?" 所以,好了,有个记者跟我说: 「也许吧,但你如何真正知道其他动物能思考与感觉?」
And I started to rifle through all the hundreds of scientific references that I put in my book and I realized that the answer was right in the room with me. 我开始到处搜寻 我书里引用的所有科学参考资料, 我发现答案就在我的房间里。
rifle:n.步枪;来复枪;v.快速搜寻;匆忙翻找;偷窃;盗取; references:n.提到; v.查阅; (reference的第三人称单数和复数)
When my dog gets off the rug and comes over to me -- not to the couch , to me -- and she rolls over on her back and exposes her belly , she has had the thought, "I would like my belly rubbed . 当我的狗起身离开了毯子,来到我身边, 没有跑到沙发,而是跑向我, 她滚躺着露出肚子, 她所想的是:「我要肚子抓抓。
rug:n.小地毯;垫子;(盖腿的)厚毯子;v.用厚毯包; couch:n.睡椅,长沙发;床;卧榻;v.蹲伏,埋伏;躺着; exposes:v.暴露;;揭露;揭穿;使面临(expose的第三人称单数) belly:n.腹部;胃;食欲;v.涨满;鼓起; rubbed:v.(使)相互摩擦;摩擦(尤指引起疼痛或损害);(rub的过去分词和过去式)
I know that I can go over to Carl, he will understand what I'm asking. 我知道我可以跑到卡尔那, 他会知道我想要什么,
I know I can trust him because we're family. 我信任他,因为我们是家人。
He'll get the job done, and it will feel good." 他会把事情做好,让我开心。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
She has thought and she has felt, and it's really not more complicated than that. 她有思考过,而且她也感觉到了。 这真的没有那么复杂。
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
But we see other animals and we say, "Oh look, killer whales,wolves, elephants: that's not how they see it." 当我们欣赏其他动物时说:「瞧!虎鲸、狼、大象。」 这并非牠们观察其他动物的方式。
That tall-finned male is L41. 这只背鰭高大的公鲸叫 L41,
He's 38 years old. 38岁,
The female right on his left side is L22. 在牠左侧的母鲸是 L22,
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
She's 44. 44岁。
They've known each other for decades. 牠们彼此认识已经几十年了。
They know exactly who they are. 牠们知道自己是谁,
They know who their friends are. 牠们知道谁是朋友,
They know who their rivals are. 牠们知道谁是敌人。
rivals:n.对手(rival的复数);[劳经]竞争者;v.竞争(rival的三单形式);
Their life follows the arc of a career . 牠们也有生涯曲线。
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
They know where they are all the time. 总是知道自己身处何处。
This is an elephant named Philo . 这只叫作菲洛的大象,
Philo:n.斐洛(古犹太神秘主义哲学家);
He was a young male. 是年轻的公象。
This is him four days later. 四天之后牠变成这样。
Humans not only can feel grief, we create an awful lot of it. 人类不只可以感受悲伤,我们做了很多这种骇人之举。
We want to carve their teeth. 我们想拔除牠们的象牙,
carve:vt.雕刻;切开;开创;vi.切开;做雕刻工作;
Why can't we wait for them to die? 但为何就不能等牠们死亡后再做?
Elephants once ranged from the shores of the Mediterranean Sea all the way down to the Cape of Good Hope. 大象曾经分布在地中海的沿岸, 一路到好望角。
Mediterranean:n.地中海;adj.地中海的; Cape:n.披肩;披风;短斗篷;地角;
In 1980, there were vast strongholds of elephant range in Central and Eastern Africa. 1980年这里是大象的广大分布区, 就在中非、东非。
strongholds:n.[军]据点;要塞;堡垒(stronghold的复数形式); Eastern:adj.东方的;向东的;东部的;东方国家的;n.东方人;东正教信徒;
And now their range is shattered into little shards . 而现在牠们散布到零星的区域。
shattered:adj.受到严重打击的; v.(使)破碎,碎裂; (shatter的过去式和过去分词) shards:陶瓷碎片;
This is the geography of an animal that we are driving to extinction , a fellow being, the most magnificent creature on land. 这是我们造成大象灭绝的情况, 牠们是地表上最壮观的动物、也我们的同伴。
extinction:n.绝种; magnificent:adj.高尚的;壮丽的;华丽的;宏伟的;
Of course, we take much better care of our wildlife in the United States. 当然,在美国我们照顾野生动物更为周到。
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
In Yellowstone National Park , we killed every single wolf. 我们在黄石公园猎杀每只一只狼,
National Park:n.国家公园;
We killed every single wolf south of the Canadian border, actually. 其实我们也在加拿大的南境猎杀每一只狼。
But in the park, park rangers did that in the 1920s, and then 60 years later they had to bring them back, because the elk numbers had gotten out of control. 在1920年代,森林警备队都在执行这种任务。 而60年后,他们必须增加狼群数量, 因为驼鹿的数目已经失控。
rangers:n.园林管理员;护林人;女童子军;突击队员;(ranger的复数)
And then people came. 然后游客也来了,
People came by the thousands to see the wolves, the most accessibly visible wolves in the world. 成千上万的人前来观赏狼群, 这里是全世界最容易看到狼群的地方。
accessibly:adv.可接近地; visible:adj.明显的;看得见的;现有的;可得到的;n.可见物;进出口贸易中的有形项目;
And I went there and I watched this incredible family of wolves. 我也前往观察这个令人惊叹的野狼家族,
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
A pack is a family. 这是一个狼群家族,
It has some breeding adults and the young of several generations. 有成年的狼与几代年轻的狼。
breeding:n.繁殖;饲养;教养;再生;v.生产;培育;使…繁殖;(breed的现在分词)
And I watched the most famous, most stable pack in Yellowstone National Park. 我在黄石公园观察这个名声响亮、最稳定的野狼家族。
stable:n.马厩;牛棚;adj.稳定的;牢固的;坚定的;vi.被关在马厩;赶入马房;
And then, when they wandered just outside the border, two of their adults were killed, including the mother, which we sometimes call the alpha female. 当牠们徘徊在边境, 有两只成年狼被猎杀了, 其中一只是雌狼妈妈, 我们有时候称之为头号母狼。
alpha:n.希腊字母表的第1个字母;
The rest of the family immediately descended into sibling rivalry . 剩下的狼族立即展开了兄弟阋墙。
descended:adj.出身于...的;从一个祖先传下来的; sibling:n.兄弟姊妹;民族成员; rivalry:n.竞争;对抗;竞赛;
Sisters kicked out other sisters. 狼的姊妹彼此互相驱离,
That one on the left tried for days to rejoin her family. 左边的这一只狼有好几天想回到家族,
rejoin:vi.答辩;回答;重新聚合;vt.再加入;使…再结合;再回答;
They wouldn't let her because they were jealous of her. 但其他狼不接受,因为忌妒她,
jealous:adj.妒忌的;猜疑的;唯恐失去的;戒备的;
She was getting too much attention from two new males, and she was the precocious one. 她受到另外两只新公狼太多的关注了。 她太早熟了,
precocious:adj.早熟的;过早发育的;
That was too much for them. 对其它狼来说,这太麻烦。
She wound up wandering outside the park and getting shot. 后来,牠在公园里徘徊,后来被猎杀了。
wound:n.创伤,伤口;v.使受伤;受伤,伤害;
The alpha male wound up being ejected from his own family. 头号公狼也被逐出家族。
alpha male:n.老大(某一群体中最有权力的男子或雄性动物); ejected:adj.射出的;被驱逐的;被放出的;v.喷射;驱逐(eject的过去分词);
As winter was coming in, he lost his territory , his hunting support, the members of his family and his mate . 随着冬季到来, 牠失去了领地、捕猎的支援, 失去了家人,也失去了同伴。
territory:n.领土,领域;范围;地域;版图; mate:n.助手,大副; v.使配对;
We cause so much pain to them. 我们对牠们伤害如此之重。
The mystery is, why don't they hurt us more than they do? 难解的是,为何牠们不会更加地伤害我们?
This whale had just finished eating part of a grey whale with his companions who had killed that whale. 这只鲸刚刚吃掉了半只灰鲸, 牠跟同伴一起杀了这只灰鲸。
Those people in the boat had nothing at all to fear. 船上这群人一点都不害怕。
This whale is T20. 这只鲸叫 T20,
He had just finished tearing a seal into three pieces with two companions. 牠刚刚和另外两只同伴将海豹撕裂成三块。
The seal weighed about as much as the people in the boat. 海豹的体重跟人类的体重差不多。
They had nothing to fear. 牠们没什么好怕的啊,
They eat seals. 牠们吃海豹,
Why don't they eat us? 那为何牠们不吃我们?
Why can we trust them around our toddlers ? 为何我们能相信牠们,让牠靠近还在学步的孩童?
toddlers:n.初学走路的孩子;儿童短衫(toddler的复数形式);
Why is it that killer whales have returned to researchers lost in thick fog and led them miles until the fog parted and the researchers' home was right there on the shoreline ? 为何这些虎鲸知道研究员在雾中迷航,而游回附近, 引领数哩,直到迷雾散去, 而研究员的家就在岸边?
shoreline:n.海岸线;海岸线地带;
And that's happened more than one time. 不只发生一次。
In the Bahamas , there's a woman named Denise Herzing, and she studies spotted dolphins and they know her. 在巴哈马,有位丹妮丝女士, 她研究斑点海豚,海豚也认识她,
Bahamas:n.巴哈马群岛(拉丁美洲国家); spotted:adj.有花点的;有斑点的;v.看见;看出;发现;让步;(spot的过去分词和过去式)
She knows them very well. She knows who they all are. 她跟每ㄧ只海豚很熟,
They know her. They recognize the research boat. 海豚也认识她,能辨认研究船。
When she shows up, it's a big happy reunion . 当她出现时,就是快乐的重逢。
reunion:n.团聚;聚会;团圆;重逢;
Except, one time showed up and they didn't want to come near the boat, and that was really strange. 只有一次例外,她出现后,牠们不愿意靠近, 这非常奇怪。
And they couldn't figure out what was going on until somebody came out on deck and announced that one of the people onboard had died during a nap in his bunk . 他们无法理解发生什么事, 直到有人上了甲板, 通知说船上有人过世, 是在船上睡铺打盹时死亡的。
deck:n.甲板;舱面;层面;一副(为52张);v.装饰;打扮;布置;用力击倒; onboard:adv.在船上;在飞机上;在板上;adj.随车携带的; nap:n.打盹;短绒毛;赛马情报;v.打盹;(naps是nap的复数) bunk:n.铺位;床铺;座床;v.睡在铺上;逃跑;
How could dolphins know that one of the human hearts had just stopped? 海豚如何能知道船上有人心跳已经停止了?
Why would they care? 为何牠们在意?
And why would it spook them? 又为何这件事吓到了牠们?
spook:n.鬼;幽灵;vt.惊吓;鬼怪般地出没;vi.受惊;
These mysterious things just hint at all of the things that are going on in the minds that are with us on Earth that we almost never think about at all. 这些神秘的事揭露出和我们一样共存于地球的 其它心智在想什么, 而我们却几乎没认真思考过。
mysterious:adj.神秘的;不可思议的;难解的; hint:n.提示;暗示;迹象;窍门;v.暗示;透露;示意;
At an aquarium in South Africa was a little baby bottle-nosed dolphin named Dolly . 在南非的水族馆, 有一只瓶鼻海豚名叫多莉。
aquarium:n.水族馆;养鱼池;玻璃缸; bottle-nosed:adj.有瓶状大鼻子的;(指人)有酒糟鼻子的; Dolly:n.洋娃娃;手推车;移动式摄影车;洗衣搅棒;v.用移动车移动;移动摄影车;
She was nursing, and one day a keeper took a cigarette break and he was looking into the window into their pool, smoking. 她还在哺乳期,有天馆员休息时抽烟, 他透过窗对着池子抽烟。
Dolly came over and looked at him, went back to her mother, nursed for a minute or two, came back to the window and released a cloud of milk that enveloped her head like smoke. 多莉游了过来看着他, 再游回了母亲身边,哺乳一两分钟, 然后游回窗前, 吐出的奶散开成一朵云环绕着她的头部。
for a minute:一会儿; released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) enveloped:n.折叠条;v.包围(envelop的过去分词);
Somehow , this baby bottle-nosed dolphin got the idea of using milk to represent smoke. 看来,这只瓶鼻海豚 想到用奶来呈现烟雾。
Somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送;
When human beings use one thing to represent another, we call that art. 当人类用其它方式来呈现另一事物时, 我们称之为艺术。
(Laughter) (笑声)
The things that make us human are not the things that we think make us human. 我们之所以是人类的原因, 跟我们所想的其实不尽相同。
What makes us human is that, of all these things that our minds and their minds have, we are the most extreme . 让我们之所以为人类的是, 我们和动物都拥有的心智活动, 但我们却是最极端的。
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
We are the most compassionate , most violent , most creative and most destructive animal that has ever been on this planet, and we are all of those things all jumbled up together. 我们是地球上最有怜悯心、 最暴力、最有创意, 也是最有破坏力的动物。 我们是这些特征混合在一起的结果。
compassionate:adj.慈悲的;富于同情心的;vt.同情;怜悯; violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的; creative:adj.创造性的; destructive:adj.破坏的;毁灭性的;有害的,消极的; jumbled:adj.乱七八糟的;vt.搞乱(jumble的过去分词);
But love is not the thing that makes us human. 但爱并不是我们之所以为人的主要因素,
It's not special to us. 爱不是只有人类有。
We are not the only ones who care about our mates . 我们并不是唯一关心同伴的动物,
mates:n.朋友; v.交配;
We are not the only ones who care about our children. 也不是唯一关心孩子的动物。
Albatrosses frequently fly six, sometimes ten thousand miles over several weeks to deliver one meal, one big meal, to their chick who is waiting for them. 信天翁常常飞了 6000 哩,有时候万哩, 飞了几个星期,只为了带一顿大餐 回来喂食等待牠们回来的幼雏。
Albatrosses:n.[鸟]信天翁;沉重负担; frequently:adv.频繁地,经常地;时常,屡次;
They nest on the most remote islands in the oceans of the world, and this is what it looks like. 牠们筑巢在遥远的海上岛屿, 看起来像这样。
remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的;
Passing life from one generation to the next is the chain of being. 一代传一代是生命的连结,
If that stops, it all goes away. 假如停止了,就消失了。
If anything is sacred, that is, and into that sacred relationship comes our plastic trash . 如果有哪件事很神圣,那就是世代传承了。但这种神圣关系中, 跑出了塑胶垃圾。
trash:n.垃圾;废物;v.丢弃;修剪树枝;
All of these birds have plastic in them now. 这些鸟现在身体里都有塑胶。
This is an albatross six months old, ready to fledge -- died, packed with red cigarette lighters . 这只信天翁六个月大,开始准备生长羽翼, 因为腹中满是红色打火机而死去。
fledge:vi.长羽毛;vt.装上羽毛; lighters:n.打火机(lighter的复数);
This is not the relationship we are supposed to have with the rest of the world. 这并非我们与世界其他生命该有的关系。
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
But we, who have named ourselves after our brains, never think about the consequences . 我们以聪明的大脑自居, 从未想过后果。
consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
When we welcome new human life into the world, we welcome our babies into the company of other creatures. 当我们迎接新的生命来到世上, 我们让宝宝与其他生物作伴。
We paint animals on the walls. 我们绘制动物于墙壁,
We don't paint cell phones. 我们不会画手机、
We don't paint work cubicles . 我们不会画办公室的隔间,
cubicles:[建]小卧室;
We paint animals to show them that we are not alone. 我们绘制动物图像,告诉孩子我们并不是唯一生命,
We have company. 我们还有陪伴。
And every one of those animals in every painting of Noah's ark, deemed worthy of salvation is in mortal danger now, and their flood is us. 而每一幅诺亚方舟画里的每只动物, 值得拯救的牠们,现在处于死亡的危险中, 而人类就是牠们的洪水。
deemed:v.认为;视为;相信;(deem的过去分词和过去式) worthy:adj.值得的; n.杰出人物; salvation:n.拯救;救助; mortal:adj.凡人的;致死的;终有一死的;不共戴天的;n.人类,凡人;
So we started with a question: 所以我们首先这样问:
Do they love us? 牠们爱我们吗?
We're going to ask another question. 我们再继续追问:
Are we capable of using what we have to care enough to simply let them continue? 我们是否有足够的能力,利用我们拥有的一切 照顾牠们,让牠们的生命延续下去?
capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的;
Thank you very much. 谢谢。
(Applause) (鼓掌)