返回首页

CarlSafina_2010X-_漏油事件背后不为人所知的肇事者和受害者_

This is the ocean as I used to know it. 这是我曾经认识的海洋。
And I find that since I've been in the Gulf a couple of times, 而我发现 我到过墨西哥湾一两次,
Gulf:n.海湾;深渊;分歧;漩涡;vt.吞没;
I really kind of am traumatized because, whenever I look at the ocean now, no matter where I am, even where I know none of the oil has gone, 我真的有些精神受创了 因为现在无论我什么时候去看大海, 不管我从什么地方看, 即使是我知道的地方 没有一个地方是没有石油的,
traumatized:adj.心理受到创伤的;v.使受创伤(traumatize的过去式和过去分词);
I sort of see slicks . 我似乎看到了石油漂浮的光亮水面。
slicks:n.光头胎,干胎(slick的复数形式);
And I'm finding that I'm very much haunted by it. 现在我发现它在我脑海 萦绕不去。
But what I want to talk to you about today is a lot of things that try to put all of this in context , not just about the oil eruption , but what it means and why it has happened. 但今天我想跟你们讨论的 有很多事情,以这个为上下文 的很多事情, 不仅仅关于石油喷发, 而且关于它的含义,和它发生的原因。
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉; eruption:n.爆发,喷发;火山灰;出疹;
First, just a little bit about me. 首先,简单自我介绍一下。
I'm basically just a guy that likes to go fishing ever since I was a little kid. 我基本上就是一个自小喜欢 钓鱼的人。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
And because I did, 因为我这个爱好,
I wound up studying sea birds to try to stay in the coastal habitats that I so loved. 我后来就开始研究海鸟了 这样可以住在我所钟爱的沿海鸟类栖息地。
wound:n.创伤,伤口;v.使受伤;受伤,伤害; coastal:adj.沿海的;海岸的; habitats:n.[生态]栖息地;(动植物的)[经]产地(habitat的复数形式);
And now I mainly write books about how the ocean is changing. 如今我主要是写关于 海洋变化的书。
mainly:adv.大多;大部分;主要地;首要地;
And the ocean is certainly changing very rapidly. 毫无疑问,海洋正在快速地变化,
Now we saw this kind of graphic earlier on. 现在我们来看几张图片。
graphic:adj.形象的;图表的;绘画似的;
That we really live on a hard marble that has just a slight bit of wetness to it. 我们其实生活在一块硬大理石上 它上面只有一丁点 的润湿。
marble:n.大理石;大理石制品;弹珠;adj.大理石的;冷酷无情的; slight:adj.轻微的;略微的;细小的;纤细的;n.侮慢;冷落;轻视;v.侮慢;冷落;轻视; wetness:n.湿润;下雨;
It's like you dipped a marble in water. 就像你把一块大理石浸到水里。
dipped:v.蘸;浸;(使)下降;把(汽车前灯的)远光调为近光;(dip的过去分词和过去式)
And the same thing with the atmosphere . 大气层也是同理。
atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格;
If you took all the atmosphere and rolled it up in a ball, you would get that little sphere of gas on the right. 如果你把大气层搜集起来 揉成一个球, 你得到的就是右边上那个小小的气球。
So we live on the most fragile , little soap bubble you can imagine, a very sacred soap bubble, but one that is very, very easy to effect. 所以我们生活在 你能想象到的最脆弱的小肥皂泡上, 一个非常神圣的肥皂泡, 而又非常,非常容易受影响的肥皂泡。
fragile:adj.脆的;易碎的; bubble:n.泡;气泡;肥皂泡;一点感情;v.起泡;冒泡;洋溢着(某种感情);
And all the burning of oil and coal and gas, all the fossil fuels, have changed the atmosphere greatly . 所有燃烧石油,煤,天然气, 化石燃料的行为, 对大气产生了巨大的影响。
fossil:n.化石;老人;老古董;adj.从地下发掘出来的;化石的;属于旧时代的;陈腐的; greatly:adv.很,大大地;非常;
Carbon dioxide level has gone up and up and up. 二氧化碳的含量越来越来越高。
Carbon dioxide:二氧化碳;
We're warming the climate. 我们在使气候变暖。
So the blowout in the Gulf is just a little piece of a much larger problem that we have with the energy that we use to run civilization . 所以墨西哥湾的井喷 只是人类文明运转中我们如何使用 能源这个更大问题中的 冰山一角。
blowout:n.爆裂;喷出;[电]保险丝烧断;井中喷水或油等; civilization:n.文明;文明社会;文明世界;(特定时期和地区的)社会文明;
Beyond warming, we have the problem of the oceans getting more acidified. 除了地球变暖, 文明还有海洋酸化的问题。
And already measurably so, and already effecting animals. 已经是可以测定的, 而且已经影响到了动物。
measurably:adv.可以测定的程度;可视地;
Now in the laboratory , if you take a clam and you put it in the pH that is -- not 8.1, which is the normal pH of seawater -- but 7.5, it dissolves in about three days. 现在在实验室里, 你把一个蛤蜊放到PH值 不是正常海水PH值 8.1的水里-- 而是7.5的水里, 它在约三天里就溶解了。
laboratory:n.实验室,研究室; clam:n.蛤;蛤蜊;蚌;v.挖蛤;保持沉默;嘴紧; seawater:n.海水; dissolves:v.溶解;分解(dissolve的单三式);溶接;
If you take sea urchin larva from 8.1, put it in a pH of 7.7 -- not a huge change -- it becomes deformed and dies. 如果你把海胆幼虫 放到不是8.1 而是PH值7.7-- 变化并不大的-- 它会变形然后死亡。
sea urchin:[无脊椎]海胆; larva:n.[水产]幼体,[昆]幼虫; deformed:adj.畸形的; v.使...残缺,使...变形(deform的过去式和过去分词形式);
And already, commercial oyster larvae are dying at large scales in some places. 已经有商用牡蛎幼虫 在某些区域 大规模的死亡。
commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告; oyster:n.牡蛎,[无脊椎]蚝;沉默寡言的人; larvae:n.幼虫;幼体(larva的复数形式); scales:n.规模范围; v.攀登; (scale的第三人称单数和复数)
Coral reefs are growing slower in some places because of this problem. 因为这个问题某些地方的 珊瑚礁生长正在减慢。
Coral:n.珊瑚;珊瑚虫;adj.珊瑚的;珊瑚色的; reefs:n.礁石(reef的复数形式); v.收帆;
So this really matters. 所以酸化问题是有真正影响的。
Now, let's take a little tour around the Gulf a little bit. 现在,让我们沿着墨西哥湾 稍微逛逛。
One of the things that really impresses me about the people in the Gulf, they are really, really aquatic people. 有一件关于墨西哥湾人的事让我印象深刻, 他们是真是水生的,
impresses:v.盖印;强征;传送;给予某人深刻印象;n.印象,印记;特征,痕迹; aquatic:adj.水生的;水栖的;在水中或水面进行的;n.水上运动;水生植物或动物;
And they can handle water. 他们对水应付自如。
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
They can handle a hurricane that comes and goes. 他们可以应对一场飓风过境。
hurricane:n.飓风,暴风;
When the water goes down, they know what to do. 当水位下降,他们知道做什么。
But when it's something other than water, and their water habitat changes, they don't have many options . 但是当面对和水无关的的事情时, 当他们的以水为主的生活环境改变时, 他们的选择就不多了。
options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
In fact, those entire communities really don't have many options. 事实上,整个社区面对的选择 也是不多的。
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
They don't have another thing they can do. 他们没有其他可以做的事情。
They can't go and work in the local hotel business because there isn't one in their community . 他们无法去 当地的酒店工作 因为社区里没有酒店。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
If you go to the Gulf and you look around, you do see a lot of oil. 假如你去墨西哥湾看看, 你确实可以看到很多石油。
You see a lot of oil on the ocean. 你看到很多石油漂在海上。
You see a lot of oil on the shoreline . 你看到很多石油在海岸线上漂动。
shoreline:n.海岸线;海岸线地带;
If you go to the site of the blowout, 假如你到井喷的现场,
site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址;
It looks pretty unbelievable . 它看上去让人难以置信。
unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的
It looks like you just emptied the oil pan in your car, and you just dumped it in the ocean. 它看上去像你刚清空了车上的油盘, 然后把废油倾到了海里。
dumped:v.丢弃,扔掉;丢下;抛弃;倾销,抛售;(dump的过去分词和过去式)
And one of the really most incredible things, I think, is that there's nobody out there trying to collect it at the site where it is densest . 而最让人匪夷所思的是, 在这个最稠密的地方 没有一个人想着 把它清理掉。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; densest:密集的;浓密的;极度的(dense的最高级);
Parts of the ocean there look just absolutely apocalyptic . 海洋的很多区域 看上去完全像是世界末日。
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; apocalyptic:adj.启示录的;天启的;
You go in along the shore, you can find it everywhere. 你沿着海岸线, 你可以在每个地方发现油污。
It's really messy . 真的是一团糟。
messy:adj.肮脏的;凌乱的;不整洁的;
If you go to the places where it's just arriving, like the eastern part of the Gulf, in Alabama , there's still people using the beach while there are people cleaning up the beach. 如果你去漏油正在到达的地方 像墨西哥湾的东部,阿拉巴马, 一边有人在清理海滩, 一边还有人在用着海滩。
eastern:adj.东方的;向东的;东部的;东方国家的;n.东方人;东正教信徒; Alabama:n.阿拉巴马州(美国州名);
And they have a very strange way of cleaning up the beach. 他们清理海滩的方法很奇怪。
They're not allowed to put more than 10 lbs. of sand in a 50 gallon plastic bag. 他们不允许在50加仑的塑料袋里 放多余10磅的沙子。
gallon:n.加仑
They have thousands and thousands of plastic bags. 他们有成千上万个塑料袋。
I don't know what they're going to do with all that stuff . 我不知道他们将怎么处理那些东西。
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
Meanwhile , there are still people trying to use the beach. 同时,还有人在海滩上娱乐。
Meanwhile:adv.同时,其间;n.其间,其时;
They don't see the little, tiny sign that says: "Stay out of the water." 他们看不到那个小小的标牌 写着“请勿下水。”
Their kids are in the water; they're getting tar all over their clothes and their sandals . It's a mess. 孩子们还在水里嬉戏;他们的衣服 和拖鞋上全都是柏油。那儿一团糟。
sandals:n.凉鞋;(sandal的复数)
If you go to the place where the oil has been a while, it's an even bigger mess. 假如你去到石油已经到达了一段时间的地方, 那就更乱了。
And there's basically nobody there anymore, a few people trying to keep using it. 那里基本上已经没有人了, 少些人还试图 来海滩边玩。
You see people who are really shell shocked. 你可以看到有些人震惊了。
shell:n.壳;炮弹;壳层;骨架;v.脱壳;剥壳;采集贝壳;用壳体包被;short.shewill;
They are very hardworking people. 他们工作勤勉,
All they know about life is they get up in the morning, and if their engine starts, they go to work. 他们所了解的生活就是每天早起, 引擎一启动,他们就开始干活。
They always felt that they could rely on the assurances that nature brought them through the ecosystem of the Gulf. 他们总是觉得他们可以依赖于 墨西哥湾生态系统给他们 带来的衣食保障。
rely:vi.依靠;信赖; assurances:n.保证;保险(assurance的复数形式); ecosystem:n.生态系统;
And they're finding that their world is really collapsing . 他们正在意识到他们的世界正在崩塌。
collapsing:v.倒塌,坍塌; (collapse的现在分词)
And so you can see, literally , signs of their shock, signs of their outrage , signs of their anger, and signs of their grief . 你可以直接地看到, 他们震惊的标牌, 他们愤慨的标牌, 他们愤怒的标牌, 他们悲痛的标牌,
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: outrage:n.愤怒,愤慨;暴行;侮辱;vt.凌辱,强奸;对…施暴行;激起愤怒; grief:n.悲痛;忧伤;不幸;
These are the things that you can see. 这是各位可以看到的事物。
There's a lot you can't see, also, underwater . 有很多你没看到的 在水下。
underwater:adj.在水中的;水面下的;adv.在水下;n.水下;
What's going on underwater? 在水下发生了什么?
Well, some people say there are oil plumes . 有些人说 看到了石油的羽状物,
plumes:羽状物;
Some people say there are not oil plumes. 有些人说没有石油羽状物。
And Congressman Markey asks, you know, "Is it going to take a submarine ride to see if there are really oil plumes?" 而国会议员马基问, “我们要开个潜艇下去看看 是不是真的有石油羽状物吗?”
Congressman:n.国会议员;众议院议员; submarine:n.潜艇;adj.水下的;海底的v.用潜艇攻击;驾驶潜艇;
But I couldn't take a submarine ride -- especially between the time I knew I was coming here and today -- so I had to do a little experiment myself to see if there was oil in the Gulf of Mexico. 但是我没法坐潜水艇下去-- 特别是在我知道我要来这里的那天到今天这段时间里-- 所以我得自己 做个小实验 来看看在墨西哥湾到底有没石油。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
So this is the Gulf of Mexico, sparkling place full of fish. 这就是墨西哥湾, 闪闪发光,鱼类成群。
sparkling:adj.闪亮的; v.闪耀; (sparkle的现在分词)
And I created a little oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico. 然后我在墨西哥湾 制造了一点石油泄漏。
spill:v.溢出;涌出;蜂拥而出;n.跌落;洒出(量);泼出(量);溢出(量);
And I learned -- in fact I confirmed the hypothesis that oil and water don't mix until you add a dispersant . 我听说-事实上我确定 石油和水不融合的假设 除非你加入分散剂。
hypothesis:n.假设; dispersant:n.分散剂;
And then they start mixing . 然后他们开始 融合。
mixing:n.混合;混频;录音;v.混合,掺和,融合;调配;配制;相容;(mix的现在分词)
And you add a little energy from the wind and the waves. 然后你加上一点 来自风和海浪的能量。
And you get a big mess, a big mess that you can't possibly clean, you can't touch, you can't extract and, I think most importantly -- this is what I think -- you can't see it. 那你就得到了这个混乱的结果, 一大片 你几乎没法清理的东西, 你没法触摸,没法萃取 最重要的是--这些东西你 没法看到。
extract:v.提取;取出;摘录;榨取;n.汁;摘录;榨出物;选粹;
I think it's being hidden on purpose . 我想真相被有意掩藏起来的。
on purpose:有目的地,故意地;
Now this is such a catastrophe and such a mess, that lots of stuff is leaking out on the edges of the information stream. 这是如此大的一场灾难,如此混乱的场面, 很多消息正在从信息管道的边缘泄漏出来
catastrophe:n.大灾难;大祸;惨败; leaking:v.渗漏;泄露(秘密信息);走漏;(leak的现在分词)
But as many people have said, there's a large attempt to suppress what's going on. 但像很多人所说的, 有一股很大的势力正试图掩盖正在发生的事情。
attempt:n.企图,试图;攻击;v.企图,试图;尝试; suppress:vt.抑制;镇压;废止;
Personally , I think that the dispersants are a major strategy to hide the body, because we put the murderer in charge of the crime scene. 我个人认为 分散剂是 隐藏真相的一个主要策略, 因为我们要让凶手 负责处理犯罪现场。
Personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言; dispersants:n.[助剂]分散剂(dispersant的复数); strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略; in charge of:负责;主管;
But you can see it. 但是你可以看到的,
You can see where the oil is concentrated at the surface, and then it is attacked, because they don't want the evidence , in my opinion . 你可以看到 石油集中在海面上, 然后它就被动了手脚, 因为在我看来他们不想留下犯罪证据。
concentrated:adj.决心要做的; v.集中(注意力); (concentrate的过去式和过去分词) evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; in my opinion:在我看来;我认为;
Okay. 好。
We heard that bacteria eat oil? 我们知道细菌吞噬石油?
bacteria:n.[微]细菌;
So do sea turtles . 海龟也吃的。
turtles:n.海龟;龟;陆龟;水龟;鳖;(turtle的复数)
When it breaks up, it has a long way to go before it gets down to bacteria. 当石油分解时, 到它被细菌吞噬还有 很长一段路要走。
Turtles eat it. It gets in the gills of fish. 海龟吃石油,石油进入鱼的鳃里。
gills:n.鱼鳃(gill的复数); v.除去鱼的鳃和内脏;
These guys have to swim around through it. 这些动物需要在石油里游来游去。
I heard the most incredible story today when I was on the train coming here. 我今天在来这里的火车上听了 一个最匪夷所思的故事。
A writer named Ted Williams called me. 一个叫Ted Williams的作者打电话给我。
And he was asking me a couple of questions about what I saw, because he's writing an article for Audubon magazine. 他问了我一两个问题 关于我看到的问题, 因为他在为奥杜邦杂志写一篇文章。
Audubon:n.奥杜邦(美国鸟类学家,画家和博物学家);
He said that he had been in the Gulf a little while ago -- like about a week ago -- and a guy who had been a recreational fishing guide took him out to show him what's going on. 他说他前一阵子在墨西哥湾-- 大概一周前-- 一个康乐钓鱼向导带他 去看正在发生的事情。
recreational:adj.娱乐的,消遣的;休养的;
That guide's entire calendar year is canceled bookings . 那个向导整年的预约 被取消了。
calendar year:n.历年(公历1月1日至12月31日); bookings:n.登记;演出合同;预订票的出售(booking的复数);
He has no bookings left. 他没有一个预约。
Everybody wanted their deposit back. Everybody is fleeing . 所有人都要求拿回他们的定金。每个人都在逃离那个地方。
deposit:n.订金; v.放下; fleeing:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的现在分词)
That's the story of thousands of people. 那是关于几千个人的故事。
But he told Ted that on the last day he went out, a bottlenosed dolphin suddenly appeared next to the boat. 他告诉Ted 他最后出海那天, 一条瓶鼻海豚 突然出现在船边。
dolphin:n.海豚;
And it was splattering oil out its blowhole . 石油正在从它的 喷水孔溅出来。
splattering:n.飞溅;散点;v.溅;结结巴巴地说(splatter的ing形式); blowhole:n.(鲸,海豚等的)喷水孔;(隧道等的)通风孔;岩石孔穴;[材]气泡;
And he moved away because it was his last fishing trip, and he knew that the dolphins scare fish. 后来他绕开了 因为那是他的 最后一次钓鱼之旅。 他知道海豚必然会惊吓到鱼群。
So he moved away from it. 所以他从海豚边移开
Turned around a few minutes later, it was right next to the side of the boat again. 过了几分钟后, 又是在船的那一边
He said that in 30 years of fishing he had never seen a dolphin do that. 他说在他30年的钓鱼生涯里 他从来没见过一只海豚做那样的事情。
And he felt that -- 他感觉到
He felt that it was coming to ask for help. Sorry. 它是来向他 求救的。抱歉。
Now, in the Exxon Valdez spill, about 30 percent of the killer whales died in the first few months. 现在,在Exxon Valdes油轮漏油事件中, 约有30%的虎鲸 在开始的几个月死亡。
Their numbers have never recovered. 他们的数目至今没有恢复。
So the recovery rate of all this stuff is going to be variable . 生物数目的恢复率 各有不同。
recovery:n.恢复,复原;痊愈;重获; variable:n.变量;可变因素;可变情况;adj.多变的;易变的;变化无常的;可更改的;
It's going to take longer for some things. 对有些来说需要更长的时间。
And some things, I think, will probably come back a little faster. 有些动物可能 会恢复的更快一些。
The other thing about the Gulf that is important is that there are a lot of animals that concentrate in the Gulf at certain parts of the year. 墨西哥湾另个一重要的特征 是有很多动物 在一年里特定的时间段会在 墨西哥湾聚集。
So the Gulf is a really important piece of water -- more important than a similar volume of water in the open Atlantic Ocean. 所以墨西哥湾水域实际上 比亚特兰大海洋上同样面积 的海水更重要。
volume:n.体积;容积;音量;响度;一册;合订本 in the open:在户外;在野外; Atlantic:adj.大西洋的;巨人阿特拉斯的;n.大西洋;
These tuna swim the entire ocean. 金枪鱼在整个海洋中游泳。
They get in the Gulf stream . They go all the way to Europe. 他们从墨西哥湾的河流中进入,一路去到欧洲。
Gulf stream:n.墨西哥湾流;
When it comes time to spawn , they come inside. 到产卵时节,他们游会海湾里。
spawn:n.卵;菌丝;产物;vt.产卵;酿成,造成;大量生产;vi.产卵;大量生产;
And these two tuna that were tagged , you can see them on the spawning grounds very much right in the area of the slick. 那两天金枪鱼被打上了标签跟踪, 你可以看到他们产卵的河床 正好在浮油的区域。
tagged:adj.标记的;示踪的;加标记的;v.附以签条(tag的过去分词); spawning:v.播种,产卵;大量生成(spawn的现在分词);n.产卵;增殖;
They're probably having, at the very least, a catastrophic spawning season this year. 他们很可能经历了 今年里一个灾难性的产卵季节。
catastrophic:adj.灾难的;悲惨的;灾难性的,毁灭性的;
I'm hoping that maybe the adults are avoiding that dirty water. 我希望也许成年鱼 可以避开肮脏的水域。
They don't usually like to go into water that is very cloudy anyway. 他们一般是不希望 进入阴暗的海水的。
But these are really high-performance athletic animals. 但这些是高质量的 健壮的动物。
high-performance:adj.高性能的;高效能的; athletic:adj.健壮的;体育运动的;田径运动的
I don't know what this kind of stuff will do in their gills. 我不知道这些玩意儿在他们的鳃里会做些什么。
I don't know if it'll effect the adults. 我不知道它会不会影响到成年鱼。
If it's not, it's certainly effecting their eggs and larvae, I would certainly think. 如果它不会,那它毫无疑问增在影响 鱼卵和幼鱼,我肯定。
But if you look at that graph that goes down and down and down, that's what we've done to this species through over fishing over many decades. 如果你沿着图一直往下看, 那就是我们对鱼类的所作所为 几十年来过量捕捞。
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
So while the oil spill, the leak, the eruption, is a catastrophe, 所以当石油溢出, 油船泄漏,井喷, 是一场灾难,
I think it's important to keep in mind that we've done a lot to effect what's in the ocean for a very, very long time. 我想我们应该意识到 我们作了很多影响海洋生活的事情 已经很久很久了。
keep in mind:记住;
It's not like we're starting with something that's been okay. 这可不是我们第一次做 得过且过的事情了。
We're starting with something that's had a lot of stresses and a lot of problems to begin with. 我们对海洋造成了很大的压力 制造了很多麻烦。
If you look around at the birds, there are a lot of birds in the Gulf that concentrate in the Gulf at certain times of the year, but then leave. 如果你抬头看看鸟类, 在墨西哥湾有很多鸟类 在每年定期聚集到这里, 然后离开。
And they populate much larger areas. 在更大的地区可以见到他们的踪迹。
populate:vt.居住于;构成人口;移民于;殖民于;
So for instance , most of the birds in this picture are migratory birds. 比如 这幅图里的很多鸟类是迁徙类鸟。
instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例; migratory:adj.迁移的;流浪的;
They were all on the Gulf in May, while oil was starting to come ashore in certain places. 他们五月都在墨西哥湾, 当很多地方漏油正到达了海岸
ashore:adv.在岸上;向岸;adj.在岸上的;在陆上的;
Down on the lower left there are Ruddy Turnstones and Sanderlings . 在左下方的 是赤翻石鹬和三趾鹬
Ruddy:adj.红色的;(表示生气)讨厌的;adv.非常,该死; Turnstones:n.翻石鹬(性喜翻石觅食); Sanderlings:n.三趾鹬;
They breed in the high arctic , and they winter down in southern South America . 它们在北极繁殖, 它们在冬天来到南美洲南部。
breed:v.繁殖;孕育;培育(动植物);导致;以…方式教育;n.品种; arctic:adj.北极的;北极地区的;极冷的;严寒的;n.北极;北极地区; South America:n.南美洲;
But they concentrate in the Gulf and then fan out all across the arctic. 但它们在墨西哥湾聚集 然后拍着翅膀一路飞过北极。
I saw birds that breed in Greenland in the Gulf. 我在墨西哥湾看到过在 格陵兰繁殖的鸟类。
So this is a hemispheric issue . 所以这是个牵涉到整个半球的问题。
hemispheric:adj.半球的,半球形状的; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
The economic effects go at least nationally in many ways. 对经济造成的影响 在很多方面至少波及了几个国家。
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; nationally:adv.全国性地;以国民立场地;举国一致地;
The biological effects are certainly hemispheric. 它对生物学的影响起码牵涉了半个地球。
biological:adj.生物学的;生物的;与生命过程有关的;加酶的;n.[药]生物制品;
I think that this is one of the most absolutely mindboggling examples of total unpreparedness that I can even think of. 我想这是我想到的 最让人心惊的 完全没有一点预防措施的 大灾难之一。
mindboggling:adj.十分惊人的;
Even when the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor , at least they shot back. 即使当日本轰炸了珍珠港, 至少他们还击了。
Pearl:n.珍珠; v.使成小圆粒; adj.珍珠(制)的; Harbor:n.港口;港湾;(比喻)避难所;[军]坦克掩蔽场;v.停泊;包含;隐匿;怀抱(恶意);
And we just seem to be unable to figure out what to do. 而我们好像根本 是束手无策。
There was nothing ready. 没有任何准备,
And, you know, as we can see by what they're doing. 我们可以从他们的行为中 可以看出。
Mainly what they're doing is booms and dispersants. 他们基本上做的就是漂浮栅栏和分散剂。
booms:繁荣;激增;增长;轰鸣声;发出低沉洪亮的声音;
The booms are absolutely not made for open water. 这些漂浮栅栏完全不是为开放水域而制的。
absolutely not:绝对不会;绝对不是;绝对不行;
They don't even attempt to corral the oil where it is most concentrated. 他们甚至不试图到最稠密的地区 做围栏措施。
corral:n.畜栏;环形车阵;vt.把…关进畜栏;捕捉;把…布成车阵;
They get near shore. Look at these two boats. 他们在近岸地区。 看看这两条船。
That one on the right is called Fishing Fool. 右边的那条叫“鱼痴号”
And I think, you know, that's a great name for boats that they're going to do anything to make a dent in this by dragging a boom between them, when there are literally hundreds of thousands of square miles in the Gulf right now with oil at the surface. 我觉得,你知道,这些船的名字取的很好 当下有真真切切的成千上百平方英里的 墨西哥湾海面漂着石油, 而这些船做的只是在两头拽栅栏时 在名字上撞出 一道凹痕来。
make a dent in:v.削弱;取得有效进展;
The dispersants make the oil go right under the booms. 分散剂让石油从栅栏下面穿过。
The booms are only about 13 inches in diameter . 这些栅栏只有约 13英寸的直径。
diameter:n.直径;对径;放大率;放大倍数;
So it's just absolutely crazy. 所以它只是完全疯狂的举动。
Here are shrimp boats employed . 这里是被雇用的捕虾船。
shrimp:n.虾;小虾;矮小的人;vi.捕虾;adj.有虾的;虾制的; employed:v.雇用:应用:运用:使用(employ的过去分词和过去式)
There are hundreds of shrimp boats employed to drag booms instead of nets. 成百上千的捕虾船被雇佣来拽东栅栏,也不是渔网。
drag:v.拖曳;生拉硬拽;拖动;n.拖累;令人厌烦的人;累赘;绊脚石;
Here they are working. 这里他们在工作。
You can see easily that all the oily water just goes over the back of the boom. 你很容易可以看到 所有的油水混合物又从栅栏的背面回去了。
oily:adj.油的;油质的;油滑的;油腔滑调的;
All they're doing is stirring it. 他们做的恰恰是把它搅动起来。
stirring:adj.激动人心的; n.开始,出现,酝酿; v.搅动; (stir的现在分词)
It's just ridiculous . 完全是可笑的。
ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的;
Also, for all the shoreline that has booms -- hundreds and hundreds of miles of shoreline -- all of the shoreline that has booms, there's adjacent shoreline that doesn't have any booms. 而且,对于所有有栅栏的海岸线-- 千万英里长的海岸线-- 所有有栅栏的海岸线, 濒临着不带栅栏的海岸线。
adjacent:adj.邻近的,毗连的;
There is ample opportunity for oil and dirty water to get in behind them. 石油和脏水有 足够的机会从后面渗入。
ample:adj.丰富的;足够的;宽敞的;
And that lower photo, that's a bird colony that has been boomed . 在下面的那张图中,是一个被栅栏围起来的鸟类栖息地。
colony:n.殖民地;移民队; boomed:vt.使兴旺;发隆隆声;vi.急速发展;发隆隆声;n.繁荣;吊杆;隆隆声;
Everybody's trying trying to protect the bird colonies there. 所有人都在努力保护 那里的鸟类栖息地。
Well, as an ornithologist , 作为一个鸟类学家,
ornithologist:n.鸟类学者;
I can tell you that birds fly, and that -- 我可以告诉你们鸟是会飞的,而且--
(Laughter) (笑声)
And that booming a bird colony doesn't do it; it doesn't do it. 把一个鸟类栖息地围起来 是没有用的,没用。
booming:adj.兴旺的,繁荣的;大受欢迎的;v.兴旺(boom的现在分词);发出隆隆声;
These birds make a living by diving into the water. 这些鸟靠潜水生存。
make a living:谋生,维持生活; diving:n.潜水;跳水;跳水运动;v.下潜;跳水;潜水;(dive的现在分词)
In fact, really what I think they should do, if anything -- they're trying so hard to protect those nests -- actually if they destroyed every single nest some of the birds would leave, and that would be better for them this year. 事实上, 我想他们应该做的,真的做点什么的话-- 他们这么努力的保护那些鸟巢-- 事实上如果他们把每个鸟巢都破坏掉 有些鸟会飞走的, 今年那么做对他们才是更有利的。
As far as cleaning them, 至于清理鸟类,
As far as:至于…;
I don't mean to cast any aspersion on people cleaning birds. 我无意中伤哪位 为鸟做清洗的人。
aspersion:n.中伤,诽谤;洒水;
It's really, really important that we express our compassion . 能表达我们的同情心 是非常非常重要的。
express:v.表达; adj.特快的; n.特快列车; v.使用快速服务; compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
I think that's the most important thing that people have, is compassion. 我觉得人最重要的是 要有同情心。
It's really important to get those images and to show it. 将这些影像示众是 很重要的。
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
But really, where are those birds going to get released to? 但是想想,把这些鸟放回到哪里去呢?
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式)
It's like taking somebody out of a burning building, treating them for smoke inhalation and sending them back into the building, because the oil is still gushing . 就像把某人从着火的大楼中救出, 为他们治疗烟尘吸入 接着又把他们送回大楼里,一位石油始终还在往外冒。
treating:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;处理;讨论;(treat的现在分词) inhalation:n.吸入;吸入药剂; gushing:v.喷涌; adj.过分热情的;
I refuse to acknowledge this as anything like an accident. 我拒绝认为 这是和事故类似的事件。
I think that this is the result of gross negligence . 我认为这是大众无知的结果。
gross:adj.总共的;粗野的;恶劣的;显而易见的;v.总共收入;n.总额,总数; negligence:n.疏忽;忽视;粗心大意;
(Applause) (掌声)
Not just B.P. 不仅仅是英国石油公司。
B.P. operated very sloppily and very recklessly because they could. 英国石油公司执行得 非常草率和鲁莽 因为他们有资本那么做。
sloppily:adv.粗心地;凌乱地;过于伤感地;感情脆弱地; recklessly:adv.鲁莽地;不顾一切地;
And they were allowed to do so because of the absolute failure of oversight of the government that's supposed to be our government, protecting us. 他们被允许这么做 因为这个应当为人民服务的政府 的彻底的监管 失败。
oversight:n.疏忽;忽略;失察;负责;照管; supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
It turns out that -- you see this sign on almost every commercial vessel in the United States -- you know, if you spilled a couple of gallons of oil, you would be in big trouble. 结果 你能在美国几乎每条商用运输工具上看到这样的标语 如果你泄漏了几加仑的石油, 你会有大麻烦。
vessel:n.器皿;轮船;脉管;大船; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) spilled:v.(使)洒出,泼出:涌出:蜂拥而出;(spill的过去分词和过去式) gallons:n.加仑;大量(gallon的复数);一加仑的容器;
And you have to really wonder who are the laws made for, and who has gotten above the laws. 你得仔细想想 法律是为谁而立的, 谁凌驾于法律之上。
Now there are things that we can do in the future. 我们在不久将来要做的事情。
We could have the kinds of equipment that we would really need. 我们可以拥有我们迫切需要的装备。
It would not take an awful lot to anticipate that after making 30,000 holes in the sea floor of the Gulf of Mexico looking for oil, oil might start coming out of one of them. 它不要求多少力气 来参加 在墨西哥湾的海床上为寻石油 打下三万个洞后 石油可能从某个洞里冒出来。
anticipate:v.预期,期望;占先,抢先;提前使用; start coming out:奔涌而出;
And you'd have some idea of what to do. 你有该做什么的想法。
That's certainly one of the things we need to do. 那肯定是我们要做的事情之一。
But I think we have to understand where this leak really started from. 但是我认为我们应该了解泄漏真正 是从哪里开始的。
It really started from the destruction of the idea that the government is there because it's our government, meant to protect the larger public interest. 首先要从打消政府 会来出面因为 政府是人民的,是保护 大众利益的这个念头。
destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
So I think that the oil blowout, the bank bailout , the mortgage crisis and all these things are absolutely symptoms of the same cause. 我认为石油的井喷也好, 保释银行也好, 抵押贷款危机所有这些事情 都是同一个 病源的体现。
bailout:n.紧急救助;跳伞; mortgage:vt.抵押;n.抵押;房屋抵押贷款; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的; symptoms:n.症状;征候;征兆;(symptom的复数)
We still seem to understand that at least we need the police to protect us from a few bad people. 我们似乎仍然相信 至少我们需要警察来 为我对付一些坏人。
And even though the police can be a little annoying at times -- giving us tickets and stuff like that -- nobody says that we should just get rid of them. 虽然有时候警察也会有些烦人- 给我们开罚单之类的-- 没人说我们应该把他们废除算了。
annoying:adj.烦人的;使生气的;使烦恼的;v.使生气;打扰;骚扰;(annoy的现在分词)
But in the entire rest of government right now and for the last at least 30 years, there has been a culture of deregulation that is caused directly by the people who we need to be protected from, buying the government out from under us. 但是在当今其他的政府部门中 在过去的至少30年里, 滋长了一种违反规定的文化 直接由 那些需要给我们保护 的人们引起的, 背着我们把政府收买了。
deregulation:n.违反规定,反常;撤消管制规定; directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
(Applause) (掌声)
Now this has been a problem for a very, very long time. 如今这是一个有着很长很长历史的遗留问题。
You can see that corporations were illegal at the founding of America. 各位可以看到 很多企业在美国建立之初就是非法的。
corporations:n.[贸易]公司,[经]企业(corporation的复数形式); illegal:adj.不合法的;非法的;n.非法移民;非法劳工;
And even Thomas Jefferson complained that they were already bidding defiance to the laws of our country. 甚至托马斯杰弗森就抱怨过 他们已经 公开叫嚣违反我们国家的法律。
complained:v.抱怨;埋怨;发牢骚;(complain的过去分词和过去式) defiance:n.蔑视;挑战;反抗;
Okay, people who say they're conservative , if they really wanted to be really conservative and really patriotic, they would tell these cor porations to go to hell. 好,有些人称 自己是保守派, 如果他们真的想 做真正的保守派,真正的爱国, 他们应该叫这些公司 去见阎王。
conservative:adj.保守的;n.保守派,守旧者;
That's what it would really mean to be conservative. 那才是保守派真正的含义。
So what we really need to do is regain the idea that it's our government safeguarding our interests and regain a sense of unity and common cause in our country that really has been lost. 因此我们真正要做的是 重拾信念 我们的政府 是来护卫我们的利益的 重拾团结的意识 和我们国家已经失去的 共同原则。
regain:vt.再次得到;重新获得,恢复;返回;n.恢复;收复;收回 safeguarding:v.保护;保障;捍卫;(safeguard的现在分词)
I think there are signs of hope. 我想希望的迹象是有的。
We seem to be waking up a little bit. 我们似乎觉醒了一点。
The Glass-Steagall Act -- which was really to protect us from the kind of thing that caused the recession to happen, and the bank meltdown and all that stuff that required the bailouts -- that was put in effect in 1933, was systematically destroyed. 格拉斯-斯蒂格尔法案(1933银行法)- 本应保护我们 免遭经济萧条, 银行免遭垮台 还有那些需要保释的东西-- --在1933年实施, 但被系统性的摧毁了。
recession:n.经济衰退;经济萎缩;退后;撤回; meltdown:n.灾难;彻底垮台;熔化;暴跌; bailouts:n.紧急救助;跳伞; systematically:adv.有系统地;有组织地;
Now there's a mood to put some of that stuff back in place. 现在有一种情绪要把那些东西 摆回原位。
mood:n.情绪,语气;心境;气氛;
But the lobbyists are all ready there trying to weaken the regulations after the legislation has just passed. 但是游说者们已经准备好 在法案刚通过后 就要将之削弱。
lobbyists:n.游说者(lobbyist的复数形式); weaken:v.削弱;减弱;衰弱;动摇; regulations:n.章程;规则;法规;管理,控制;(regulation的复数) legislation:n.立法;法律;
So it's a continued fight. 所有这是一场持久战。
It's a historic moment right now. 现在是一个有历史意义的时刻。
historic:adj.有历史意义的;历史上著名的;
We're either going to have an absolutely unmitigated catastrophe of this oil leak in the Gulf, or we will make the moment we need out of this, as many people have noted today. 我们或者将遭遇一场完全 彻底的灾难 源自墨西哥湾的石油泄漏, 或者我们成就此刻, 大家今天共同认识到。
unmitigated:adj.全然的;严厉的;未缓和的;
There's certainly a common theme about needing to make the moment out of this. 毫无疑问, 我们有一个共同的主题来成就此刻。
We've been through this before with other ways of offshore drilling. 我们通过海外的一些教训 经历过这样的灾难。
offshore:adj.离岸的;[海洋]近海的;吹向海面的;adv.向海面,向海;
The first offshore wells were called whales. 第一个海外的油井叫鲸鱼。
The first offshore drills were called harpoons . 第一个海外的钻头叫鱼叉。
harpoons:vt.用鱼叉叉;用鱼叉捕获;n.鱼叉;
We emptied the ocean of the whales at that time. 我们在那个时候将海里的鲸鱼赶尽杀绝。
Now are we stuck with this? 现在我们被困在了什么上?
Ever since we lived in caves, every time we wanted any energy we lit something on fire, and that is still what we're doing. 自从我们穴居开始, 每次我们想要能源 我们烧掉一些东西,而我们现在仍是这么做的
We're still lighting something on fire every time we want energy. 当我们要能源的时候 我们仍然在点火燃烧资源。
And people say we can't have clean energy because it's too expensive. 而有人说 我们没法得到清洁能源 因为太贵了。
Who says it's too expensive? 谁说太贵了?
People who sell us fossil fuels. 卖化石燃料的人。
We've been here before with energy, and people saying the economy cannot withstand a switch, because the cheapest energy was slavery . 我们面对能源有过历史 有人说经济无法 承受转变, 因为最便宜的能源是奴隶。
economy:n.经济;节约;理财; withstand:vt.抵挡;禁得起;反抗;vi.反抗; slavery:n.奴隶制;奴隶身份;蓄奴;adj.流口水的;被口水弄脏的;
Energy is always a moral issue. 能源一直是一个道德问题。
moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的;
It's an issue that is moral right now. 如今这个问题仍关道德。
It's a matter of right and wrong. 它事关对于错。
Thank you very much. 谢谢大家。