返回首页

CarinaMorillo_2016X-_要想了解自闭症,别移开视线_

'"Look at me!" 「看着我!」
That phrase turned me into an eye-contact coach. 那句话把我变成了眼神交流的专家。
I'm the mother of Ivan; he's 15 years old. 我是伊万的母亲; 他今年 15 岁。
Ivan has autism , he doesn't speak, and he communicates through an iPad, where his whole universe of words exists in images . 伊万有自闭症,他不说话, 而他使用 iPad 与人进行交流, 透过 iPad,他所有的话语 都以图片的形式存在。 当他两岁半的时候, 医生诊断出他的疾病。
autism:n.[心理][内科]孤独症;自我中心主义; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
He was diagnosed when he was two and a half. 我仍然记得那天的痛苦经历。
diagnosed:v.诊断(疾病);判断(问题的原因);(diagnose的过去分词和过去式)
I still remember that day painfully . 我和我先生感到十分迷茫;
painfully:adv.痛苦地,费力地;
My husband and I felt really lost; we didn't know where to begin. 我们不知道从哪里开始。 当时没有网路,
There was no internet, you couldn't Google information, so we made those first steps out of sheer intuition . 你不能谷歌搜索信息, 所以我们刚开始时 全靠直觉来行动。 伊万不肯保持与我们的眼神交流,
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; sheer:adj.纯; v.十足地; n.透明薄纱; v.[航海](使)偏航; (使)转向; intuition:n.直觉;直觉力;直觉的知识;
Ivan would not maintain eye contact , he had lost the words that he did know, and he didn't respond to his name or to anything we asked him, as if words were noise. 他忘记了他曾经知道的单词, 而且他对我们问他的任何东西, 包括他的名字, 都不予回应, 就好像词句是噪音一般。
maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见); contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系; respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和;
The only way I could know what was going on with him, what he felt, was looking him in the eye. 要知道他身上发生了什麽、 他在想什么、 他感受到了什么, 唯一的办法是直视着他的眼睛。
But that bridge was broken. 但这座唯一的桥樑也断了。
How could I teach him about life? 我如何教会他生活的道理?
When I did things he liked, he would look at me, and we were connected. 当我做了他喜欢的事情时, 他会看向我,
So I dedicated myself to working with him on those things, so we would have more and more eye-contact moments. 然后我们之间就有了联系。 所以我致力于和他一起 在这方面努力,
dedicated:adj.献身的; v.把…奉献给; (dedicate的过去分词和过去式)
We would spend hours and hours playing tag with his older sister, Alexia, and when we said: "I caught you!" 这样我们就能有更多次目光交流。 我们会花上好几个小时 和他的姐姐阿丽克西亚一起,
tag:n.标记;标签;标志;标牌;v.给…加上标签;把…称作;给…起诨名;
he would look around for us, and at that moment, I could feel he was alive. 玩贴标签的游戏。 当我们说「我抓住你了!」的时候,
We also hold a record for hours spent in a swimming pool . 他会看向四周寻找我们,
swimming pool:n.游泳池;游泳场;游泳馆;
Ivan always had a passion for water. 而在那一刻, 我能感觉到他的生命力。
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
I remember when he was two and a half, on a rainy winter day, 我们还保存着在泳池里待上 好几个小时的记录。 伊万对水有种热情。
I was taking him to an indoor pool, because even on rainy days we'd go swimming. 我记得当他两岁半的时候, 在一个下雨的冬日早晨,
indoor:adj.(在)室内的;在户内进行的;在室内用的;
We were on the highway, and I took the wrong exit. 我把他带到室内游泳馆,
He burst into tears and cried inconsolably, nonstop , until I turned back. 因为即使在下雨的日子里 我们还是会去游泳。 我们在公路上,走错了出口。
burst into tears:突然哭起来;大笑; nonstop:adj.直达的;不休息的;不着陆的;n.直达车;adv.不休息地;
Only then did he calm down. 他突然泪流满面,止不住地大哭,
How was it possible that a two and a half year old didn't respond to his own name, yet in the middle of the rain and fog, where I couldn't see anything, he knew the exact route ? 直到我转身往回走, 那时他才平静下来。 这是多么令人难以置信, 一个两岁半的孩子, 对自己的名字毫无反应,
route:n.路线;路途;固定线路;途径;v.按某路线发送;
That's when I realized that Ivan had an exceptional visual memory, and that that would be my way in. 但在什么都看不清的雨雾之中, 他知道准确的道路?
exceptional:adj.异常的,例外的;n.超常的学生; visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的;
So I started taking pictures of everything, and teaching him what life was like, showing it to him, picture by picture. 那时候,我开始意识到伊万 有着出色的视觉记忆, 而这可以成为我的切入点。 所以我开始给一切东西拍照,
Even now, it's the way Ivan communicates what he wants, what he needs and also what he feels. 教他生活是什么样的, 一张图一张图地展示给他看。 直到现在,这都是伊万交流的方式: 他想要什么,他需要什么,
But it wasn't just Ivan's eye contact that mattered. 和他的感觉。
Everyone else's did, too. 但重要的并不只是伊万的视线交流。
How could I make people see not only his autism, but see him the person and everything he can give; everything he can do; the things he likes and doesn't like, just like any one of us? 其他人的目光同样重要。 我要怎么样才能让其他人 不仅瞭解他的自闭症, 还以一个人来看待他呢? 看到他能给予的每一份力; 他能做的每一件事;
But for that, I also had to give of myself. 他喜欢的和不喜欢的东西,
I had to have the strength to let him go, which was extremely difficult. 就像我们每个人一样? 但要做到这一点, 我也需要奉献自己。
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
Ivan was 11 years old, and he went for treatment in a neighborhood near our house. 我需要有放开他的勇气, 而这是很困难的。
treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论; neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的;
One afternoon, while I was waiting for him, 伊万十一岁的时候,
I went into a greengrocer , a typical neighborhood store with a little bit of everything. 他在一个我家附近的 住宅区接受治疗。 一天下午,当我在等着他的时候,
greengrocer:n.蔬菜水果商;菜贩; typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的;
While doing the shopping, 我走进一家蔬菜水果店──
I started talking to Jose, the owner. 典型的街头杂货店,什么都卖。
I told him about Ivan, that he had autism, and that I wanted him to learn to walk down the street by himself, without anyone holding his hand. 当买东西的时候, 我开始和店主荷西聊天。 我告诉他伊万的事情, 告诉他伊万有自闭症, 而我想让他学着自己走上街头,
So I decided to ask Jose if Thursdays around 2pm, 不需要任何别人的陪伴。
Ivan could come and help him arrange the water bottles on the shelves, because he loved to organize things. 所以我决定问荷西 在礼拜四大约下午两点的时候,
arrange:v.安排;排列;整理; organize:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;
And as a reward , he could buy some chocolate cookies, which were his favorite. 伊万能否前去幫他整理 货架上的水瓶, 因为他热爱整理东西。
reward:n.[劳经]报酬;报答;酬谢;v.[劳经]奖励;奖赏;
He said "yes" right away . 可以让他买些巧克力饼干作为奖励,
right away:立刻;
So that's how it went for a year: 那是他最喜欢吃的。
Ivan would go to Jose's greengrocer, help him arrange the shelves of water bottles with the labels perfectly lined up on the same side, and he would leave happy with his chocolate cookies. 店长当即同意了。 所以一年以来的结果是这样的: 伊万会去荷西的蔬菜水果店, 幫助店主整理货架上的水瓶,
labels:n.标签;分类(label的复数形式);v.贴标签于;把…称为(label的三单形式);
Jose is not an expert in autism. 使标签全都完美地朝向同一边,
There is no need to be an expert nor do anything heroic to include someone. 然后拿着他的巧克力饼干, 兴高采烈地离开。
heroic:adj.英雄的;英勇的;记叙英雄及其事迹的;夸张的;n.史诗;英勇行为;
We just need to be there -- 荷西并不是研究自闭症的专家。
(Applause) 他没有任何成为专家的必要,
(Applause ends) 而做这样的事 也不需要什么英雄壮举。
Really, no heroic deed -- we simply need to be close. 我们只需要在那里,坚持着── (掌声)
deed:n.行动;功绩;证书;[法]契据;vt.立契转让;
And if we are afraid of something or we don't understand something, we need to ask. 是啊,这不是什么英雄壮举, 我们只需要让人与人 之间的关系更加紧密。 而如果我们害怕某些事物,
Let's be curious but never indifferent . 或者如果我们不理解某些事物, 我们需要询问。
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的; indifferent:adj.漠不关心的;无关紧要的;中性的,中立的;
Let's have the courage to look each other in the eye, because by looking, we can open a whole world to someone else. 让我们充满好奇心,绝不冷漠。 让我们拥有直视所有其他人的勇气, 因为通过目光,
(Applause) 我们可以为另一个人 打开整个世界。
(Cheers) (掌声)