返回首页

CaraEYarKhan_2019W-_勇气与恐惧之间的美丽平衡_-

When we're young, we're innocently brave, and we fearlessly dream about what our lives might be like. 我们年轻时就像初生牛犊, 无畏地梦想着 我们的人生可能会是什么样。
innocently:adv.纯洁地;无罪地; fearlessly:adv.勇敢地;大胆地;
Maybe you wanted to be an astronaut or a rocket scientist. 或许你想成为宇航员 或是火箭科学家。
Maybe you dreamed of traveling to every continent . 或许你的梦想是 环游世界的旅行。
continent:n.大陆,洲,陆地;adj.自制的,克制的;
Since I was very young, 我从很小的时候,
I dreamed of working for the United Nations in some of the most difficult countries in the world. 就梦想在世界上 某些最困难的国家里 为联合国工作。
United Nations:n.联合国;
And thanks to a lot of courage that dream came true. 凭借很大的勇气, 我的梦想成真了。
But here's the thing about courage: it doesn't just appear whenever we need it. 但关于勇气的问题是: 它并不会在我们需要它 的时候凭空出现。
It's the result of tough reflection and real work, involving the balance between fear and bravery . 它是坚韧不移的反思 和脚踏实地的努力的结果, 需要恐惧和勇敢之间的平衡。
reflection:n.反映;沉思;映像;深思; involving:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加;(involve的现在分词) bravery:n.勇敢;勇气;
Without fear, we'll do foolish things. 没有恐惧,我们会做蠢事。
And without courage, we'll never step into the unknown. 而没有勇气, 我们永远不会朝未知迈步。
The balance of the two is where the magic lies, and it's a balance we all deal with every day. 两者的平衡 正是魔法诞生的地方, 而这是一种我们所有人 每天都要面对的平衡。
First, a word about my fancy wheels. 首先,让我讲讲我的神奇轮椅。
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象;
I haven't always used a wheelchair . 我并不是一直坐轮椅的。
wheelchair:n.轮椅;
I grew up like many of you, running, jumping and dancing. 我像你们很多人一样, 在奔跑、跳跃和舞蹈中长大。
I love to dance. 我热爱跳舞。
However, in my mid-twenties, 然而,在我二十多岁时,
I began to experience a series of inexplicable falls. 我开始经历 一系列难以解释的跌倒。
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; inexplicable:adj.费解的;无法说明的;不能解释的;
And a few years later, 几年之后,
I was diagnosed with a recessive genetic condition called hereditary inclusion body myopathy , or HIBM. 我被确诊患有 一种隐性遗传疾病, 叫做遗传性包涵体肌炎, 简称 HIBM。
diagnosed:v.诊断(疾病);判断(问题的原因);(diagnose的过去分词和过去式) recessive:adj.隐性的;逆行的;后退的;n.隐性性状; genetic:adj.基因的;遗传学的; hereditary:adj.遗传的;世袭的;世代相传的;n.遗传类; inclusion:n.包含;内含物; myopathy:n.[外科]肌病;
It's a progressive muscle wasting disease that affects all of my muscles from head to toe . 这是一种进行性的肌肉萎缩症, 它影响到我从头到脚 的所有肌肉。
progressive:adj.进步的;先进的;开明的;稳步的;n.进步人士;开明人士;改革派; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病; muscles:n.肌肉(muscle的复数); toe:n.脚趾;鞋头;v.用脚趾踩;用脚尖踢;
HIBM is very rare. HIBM 非常罕见。
In the United States there are less than 200 people diagnosed. 在美国不到 200 人被确诊。
To date, there is no proved treatment or cure, and within 10 to 15 years of its onset , 至今我们都没有可靠 的治疗手段或治愈方法, 在发作十到十五年内,
treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论; onset:n.开始,着手;发作;攻击,进攻;
HIBM typically leads to quadriplegia , which is why I now use a wheelchair. HIBM 通常会造成四肢瘫痪, 也就是我现在坐轮椅的原因。
typically:adv.代表性地;作为特色地; quadriplegia:n.[内科]四肢麻痹;四肢瘫痪;
When I was first diagnosed, everything changed. 我最初被确诊时, 一切都改变了。
It was frightening news because I had no experience with chronic illness or disabilities . 这是很可怕的消息, 因为我没有慢性病或 身体障碍的经验。
frightening:adj.可怕的;骇人的;引起恐惧的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐(frighten的现在分词) chronic:adj.慢性的;长期的;习惯性的; disabilities:n.残疾(disability的复数);身心障碍者;
And I had no idea how the disease might progress. 我也完全不知道 这种病会如何发展。
But what was most disheartening was to listen to other people advise me to limit my ambitions and dreams, and to change my expectations of what to expect from life. 但最让人沮丧的 是听到别人建议我 抑制自己的雄心与梦想, 改变我对人生的期望。
disheartening:adj.令人灰心的;令人气馁的; advise:v.建议;通知;劝告;忠告; ambitions:n.追求的目标;野心;志向;抱负;(ambition的复数) expectations:n.预料;预期;期待;希望;指望;(expectation的复数)
'"You should quit your international career ." “你应该放弃你的国际职业。”
quit:v.离开;放弃;停止;使…解除;n.离开;[计]退出;adj.摆脱了…的;已经了结的; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
'"No one will marry you this way." “你这个样子没人会和你结婚。”
'"You would be selfish to have children." “你生小孩的话就是自私。”
The fact that someone who wasn't me was putting limitations on my dreams and ambitions was preposterous . 由别人而不是我自己 对我的梦想和志向设限 是荒谬可笑的,
limitations:n.局限性;(限制)因素;边界(limitation的复数形式); preposterous:adj.荒谬的;可笑的;
And unacceptable . 而且令人无法接受。
unacceptable:adj.不能接受(或允许、同意)的;
So I ignored them. 所以我无视了他们。
ignored:v.忽视;对…不予理会;佯装未见;不予理睬;(ignore的过去分词和过去式)
(Cheers and applause) (喝彩与掌声)
I did get married. 我结了婚。
And I decided for myself not to have children. 我自己做出了 不要孩子的决定。
And I continued my career with the United Nations after my diagnosis , going to work for two years in Angola, 我在确诊后 在安哥拉工作了两年, 在安哥拉工作了两年,
diagnosis:n.诊断;
However, it would be another five years until I officially declared my diagnosis to my employer . 但是,又过了五年之后, 我才正式把我的诊断结果 报告给我的雇主。
employer:n.雇主,老板;
Because I was afraid that they would question my capacity to manage and I'd lose my job. 因为我害怕 他们质疑我的应付能力, 从而让我丢掉工作。
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力;
I was working in countries where polio had been common, so when I overheard someone say that they thought I might have survived polio, 我在小儿麻痹症 曾肆虐的国家工作, 所以当我听到别人说 他们觉得我可能是 小儿麻痹症的幸存者,
polio:n.小儿麻痹症(等于poliomyelitis);脊髓灰质炎; overheard:v.无意中听到;偷听;(overhear的过去分词)
I thought my secret was safe. 我觉得我的秘密很安全。
No one asked why I was limping . 没有人问我为什么跛脚走路,
limping:n.跛行;v.跛行(limp的现在分词);
So I didn't say anything. 所以我缄口不提。
It took me over a decade to internalize the severity of HIBM, even as basic tasks and functions became increasingly difficult. 我花了十年多的时间 才适应了 HIBM 的严重性, 即使基本的动作和功能 都变得愈发困难。
internalize:vt.使(习俗等经吸收同化而)内在化;使藏在心底; severity:n.严重;严格;猛烈; increasingly:adv.越来越多地;渐增地;
Yet, I continued to pursue my dream of working all over the world, and was even appointed as a disability focal point for UNICEF in Haiti , where I served for two years after the devastating 2010 earthquake. 然而,我继续追逐我 在世界各地工作的梦想, 甚至被委任为 UNICEF 在海地的 残疾人联络点, 在 2010 的破坏性大地震后, 我在那里任职两年。
pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠; appointed:adj.(时间)指定的,约定的; v.任命; (appoint的过去分词和过去式) disability:n.残疾;无能;无资格;不利条件; focal point:n.集中点;活动中心; Haiti:n.海地; devastating:adj.毁灭性的; v.毁灭; (devastate的现在分词)
And then my work brought me to the United States. 之后我的工作 把我带到了美国。
And even as the disease progressed significantly and I needed leg braces and a walker to get around , 即使疾病恶化得非常明显, 我需要腿部支架 和助步车才能出行,
significantly:adv.意味深长地;值得注目地; braces:n.背带;吊带(brace的复数); get around:到处走走;逃避;说服;传开来(等于getround);有办法应付;有办法应付局面;
I still longed for adventure . 我依然渴望着冒险。
adventure:n.冒险;奇遇;经历;冒险游戏;v.探险;以…冒险;大胆进行;闯;
And this time, 而这一次,
I started dreaming of a grand outdoor adventure. 我开始梦想 一次宏大的户外冒险。
outdoor:adj.户外的;露天的;
And what's more grand than the Grand Canyon ? 还有什么能比大峡谷更宏大?
Canyon:n.(周围有悬崖峭壁的)峡谷;(
Did you know that for every five million people who visit the Rim only one percent go down to the canyon's base? 你是否知道每五百万个 造访大峡谷的人中 只有 1% 会下到 峡谷谷底?
Rim:n.边,边缘;轮辋;圆圈;vi.作…的边,装边于;vt.作…的边,装边于;
I wanted to be a part of that one percent. 我想成为那 1% 中的一员。
The only thing is -- 唯一的问题是——
(Applause) (掌声)
The only thing is that the Grand Canyon isn't exactly accessible . 唯一的问题是 大峡谷并没有那么利于通行。
accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的;
I was going to need some assistance to get down the 5,000-foot descent of vertical loose terrain . 要想从五千英尺 垂直而松散的地势下去, 我得需要一些帮助。
descent:n.下降;血统;袭击;vt.除去…的气味;使…失去香味; vertical:n.垂直线;垂直位置;adj.竖的;垂直的;直立的;纵向的; loose:adj.宽松的; v.释放; v.松散地; n.放纵; terrain:n.[地理]地形,地势;领域;地带;
Now, when I face obstacles , fear doesn't necessarily immediately set in because I assume that one way or another, 当我面对困难时, 恐惧并不一定会立刻到来, 因为我觉得不管怎样,
obstacles:n.障碍;障碍物;阻碍;(obstacle的复数形式) necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地; assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现;
I'll figure it out. 我总会找到解决的办法。
And in this case, my thought was, well, if I can't walk down, 而在这件事情中, 我的想法是, 如果我没法走下去,
I could learn to ride a horse. 我可以学习骑马。
So that's what I did. 于是我就这么做了。
And with that fateful decision began a four-year commitment , tossing back and forth between fear and courage to undertake a 12-day expedition . 随着这个重大决定的诞生, 我投入了四年时间, 在恐惧与勇气之间辗转反侧, 为了进行这场为期 12 天的征途。
fateful:adj.重大的;决定性的;宿命的; commitment:n.承诺;投入;保证;许诺; tossing:v.扔,抛,掷;甩;(使)摇摆,挥动,颠簸;(toss的现在分词) back and forth:前后移动的,来回的,反复的; undertake:v.承担;从事;负责;承诺; expedition:n.远征;探险队;迅速;
Four days on horseback to cross Grand Canyon rim to rim, and eight days rafting 150 miles of the Colorado River, all with a film crew in tow . 四天骑马从南缘到北缘 横跨大峡谷, 八天划艇渡过 240 多公里的科罗拉多河, 全程由摄影组跟随。
horseback:n.马背;峻峭的山脊;adv.在马背上;adj.性急的;草率的;未经充分考虑的; rafting:n.筏运;[海洋]成筏过程;v.用筏运送;(raft的现在分词) Colorado:n.科罗拉多;[城]科罗拉多州;科罗拉多河; tow:v.牵引;n.拽引;
Spoiler alert -- we made it. 剧透警告——我们成功了。
Spoiler:n.剧透(透露与电影,书籍或者游戏内容有关的信息。); alert:n.警报; adj.警觉的; v.向…报警;
But not without showing me how my deepest fear can somehow manifest a mirror response of equal courage. 而我也见识了 我最深的恐惧 能以某种方式 对称地激发等量的勇气。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; manifest:v.表明;显现;使人注意到;adj.明显的;显而易见的;n.旅客名单; response:n.响应;反应;回答;
On April 13, 2018, sitting eight feet above the ground, riding a mustang horse named Sheriff , my first impression of Grand Canyon was one of shock and terror. 2018 年 4 月 13 日, 坐在离地八英尺处, 骑在名为警长的野马背上, 我对大峡谷的第一印象 是震惊与恐怖。
mustang:n.野马(产于墨西哥和北美平原);海军行伍出身的军官(美国俚语); Sheriff:n.州长;郡治安官;执行吏; impression:n.印象;影响;效果;感想;
Who knew I had a fear of heights. 谁知道我会恐高呢。
(Laughter) (笑声)
But there was no giving up now. 但事到如今,已经没有回头路了。
I mustered up every ounce of courage inside me to not let my fear get the best of me. 我鼓起身体里每一丝勇气, 不让自己被恐惧战胜。
mustered:vt.召集;对…进行点名;使振作;n.集合;检阅;点名册;集合人员;vi.召集;聚集; ounce:n.盎司;少量;雪豹; get the best of:击败,战胜;对…占优势;
Embarking on the South Rim, all I could do to keep myself composed was to breathe deeply, stare up into the clouds and focus on my team's voices. 从大峡谷南崖出发, 我让自己保持镇定的方法 唯有深呼吸, 抬头望云, 以及把注意力集中到 队友的声音上。
Embarking:v.着手;登机(embark的现在分词); composed:adj.由…组成的; v.组成; (compose的过去分词和过去式) stare:v.凝视;盯着看;注视;n.凝视;
But then, in the first hour, disaster struck. 然而在第一个小时内, 灾难就降临了。
disaster:n.灾难,灾祸;不幸;
Unable to hold myself upright in the saddle , going down an oversized step, 我在下一大步台阶时 没法在马鞍上保持直立,
upright:n.立柱;adj.直立的;挺直的;竖直的;垂直的;adv.竖立着;垂直着; saddle:n.马鞍;车座;(动物的)脊肉;v.给(马)备鞍; oversized:adj.过大的,极大的;
I flung forward and smacked my face on the back of the horse's head. 向前一扑, 脸砸在了马的后脑勺上。
flung:vt.挥动(fling的过去式及过去分词形式); smacked:v.用巴掌打;掴;使劲碰(或撞);(smack的过去分词和过去式)
There was panic , my head hurt fiercely , but the path was too narrow for us to dismount . 现场变得慌乱, 我的头剧烈疼痛, 但山路过于狭窄, 我们无法下马。
panic:adj.恐慌的;n.惊恐;恐慌;惶恐不安;v.惊慌失措; fiercely:adv.猛烈地;厉害地; narrow:adj.狭窄的; v.使窄小; n.峡谷; (场所,物品等的)狭窄部分; dismount:vt.下车;使下马;使掉下;vi.下马;下车;n.下马;下车;
Only at the halfway point at 2,300 feet, at least another two hours down, could we stop and remove my helmet and see the egg-sized bump protruding from my forehead . 直到 700 米处的中途休息点, 此时至少又走了两个小时下坡路, 我们才能停下来,摘下我的头盔, 看到我的额头凸出的 鸡蛋大小的肿包。
bump:n.肿块,隆起物;撞击;v.碰撞,撞击;颠簸而行;adv.突然地,猛烈地; protruding:adj.突出的;伸出的;v.突出(protrude的现在分词);伸出; forehead:n.前额;
For all of that planning and gear , how is it that we didn't even have an ice pack? 看看我们这么充分的准备与装备 怎么现在连冰袋都没有?
gear:n.齿轮; v.适合;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Luckily for all of us, the swelling came outwards , and would drain into my face as two fantastic black eyes which is an amazing way to look in a documentary film. 所幸的是, 肿胀向外扩散, 之后淤血朝脸上排出, 形成两只绝妙的黑眼圈, 在纪录片里是 无比神奇的妆容。
swelling:n.膨胀;肿胀;肿胀处;v.膨胀;肿胀;(使)鼓出;(使)增加;(swell的现在分词) outwards:adv.向外地; drain:v.排水;流干;喝光,耗尽;n.排水;下水道,排水管;消耗; fantastic:奇异的,空想的
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause and cheers) (鼓掌与喝彩)
This was not an easy, peaceful journey , and yet, that was exactly the point. 这并非一段轻松平稳的旅程, 然而这一点恰恰是最重要的。
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
Even though I was afraid to get back into the saddle, 尽管我害怕重新坐上马鞍,
I got back in. 我还是上了马。
The descent alone to the canyon floor took a total of 10 hours and that was just day one of four riding. 下到峡谷谷底的路程 就花了总共 10 个小时, 这还只是骑马的四天中的一天。
Next came the mighty rapids. 接下来是强大的急流。
mighty:adj.强而有力的;巨大的;非凡的;adv.非常;很;极其;
The Colorado River in the Grand Canyon has some of the highest white water in the country. 大峡谷中的科罗拉多河 有高度位居全国前列的白浪。
white water:n.(河水湍急流过岩石时呈现的)碎浪水花;(海洋的)白色水域;
And just to be prepared in case we should capsize , we'd practice having me swim through a smaller rapid. 以防万一我们翻船, 大家练习让我游过一处小型激流。
capsize:vt.倾覆(特指船);翻覆;弄翻;vi.翻;倾覆;翻覆;
And it's safe to say it wasn't glamorous . 我可以不夸张地说, 这毫无魅力可言。
glamorous:adj.迷人的,富有魅力的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
I took my breath in the wrong part of the wave, choked on river water and was unable to steer myself. 我在浪里错误的位置换气, 被河水呛到, 没法操纵自己的方向。
choked:adj.堵塞的; v.使窒息; (choke的过去分词和过去式) steer:v.引导;控制;操纵;驾驶(船、汽车等);n.建议;劝告;忠告;阉公牛;
Yes, it was scary, but it was also fantastic. 没错,很吓人, 但同时也很美妙。
Waterfalls , slick canyons and a couple billion years of bedrock that seemed to change color throughout the day. 瀑布,光滑的峡谷, 历经数十亿年光阴的基岩 似乎随着一天内时间 的流逝改变色彩。
Waterfalls:n.[水文]瀑布;悬瀑(waterfall的复数形式); slick:adj.光滑的; n.[机]平滑器; v.灵活地; v.使光滑; canyons:n.(周围有悬崖峭壁的)峡谷;(canyon的复数) bedrock:n.[地质]基岩;根底;基本原理; throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
The Grand Canyon is true wilderness and worthy of all of its accolades . 大峡谷是真正的旷野, 当得起所有对它的赞誉。
wilderness:n.荒野;(草木丛生的)荒地;荒芜的地方;杂草丛生处; worthy:adj.值得的; n.杰出人物; accolades:n.赞美,表扬(accolade的复数形式);称号;
(Applause) (掌声)
The expedition, all that planning and the trip itself, showed me a level of fear I had never experienced before. 这次探险, 所有的筹备和旅途本身 向我展现了之前 从未体验过的恐惧。
But more importantly, it showed me how boldly courageous I can be. 但更重要的是, 它也向我展现了 我能有怎样的胆量和勇气。
boldly:adv.大胆地;冒失地;显眼地; courageous:adj.有胆量的,勇敢的;
My Grand Canyon journey was not easy. 我的大峡谷之旅并不容易。
This was not a vision of an Amazonian woman effortlessly making her way through epic scenery . 这并不是一位亚马逊女战士 毫不费力地穿过 史诗般景色的图景。
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; Amazonian:adj.(女子)刚勇的; effortlessly:adv.轻松地;毫不费劲地; epic:adj.史诗的,叙事诗的;n.史诗;叙事诗;史诗般的作品; scenery:n.风景;景色;舞台布景;
This was me crying, exhausted and beat up with two black eyes. 这是一个哭着的我, 筋疲力尽,鼻青脸肿地 顶着两只黑眼圈。
exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式)
It was scary, it was stressful , it was exhilarating . 这趟旅程是可怕的, 是充满压力的, 也是令人振奋的。
stressful:adj.紧张的;有压力的; exhilarating:adj.令人兴奋的; v.使高兴; (exhilarate的现在分词)
Now that the trip is over, it's easy to be blasé about what we achieved. 如今旅程已经结束, 很容易对我们的成就轻描淡写。
I know I want to raft the river again. 我知道我还想划艇渡河,
This time, all 277 miles of it. 这次,划完全程 445 公里。
(Applause) (掌声)
But I also know that I would never do the horseback-riding part again. 但我也知道我再也不会 重复一遍骑马的部分了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's just too dangerous. 实在是太危险了。
And that's my real point. 而那是我真正想说的。
I'm not just here to show you my film footage . 我在这里并不只是 向各位展示我的影像片段。
footage:n.英尺长度;连续镜头;以尺计算长度;
I'm here to remind us all that life is really just a lesson in finding the balance between fear and courage. 我在这里是想提醒大家, 人生其实就是一堂课, 教我们如何寻找 恐惧与勇气之间的平衡,
remind:v.提醒;使想起;
And understanding what is and what isn't a good idea. 以及理解什么是好主意, 什么并非是好主意。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Life is already scary, so for our dreams to come true, we need to be brave. 生活已经很可怕了, 所以为了实现我们的梦想, 我们必须要勇敢。
In facing my fears and finding the courage to push through them, 通过直面我的恐惧 并找到克服它们的勇气,
push through:完成;挤著穿过;
I swear my life has been extraordinary . 我可以发誓,我的人生非常精彩。
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
So live big and try to let your courage outweigh your fear. 所以生活要有大目标, 努力让你的勇气 战胜你的恐惧。
outweigh:vt.比…重(在重量上);比…重要;比…有价值;
You never know where it might take you. 你永远也不会知道 它会将你带向何方。
You never know:(非正式)很难说,不可预知;
Thank you. 谢谢大家。
(Applause and cheers) (掌声与喝彩)