|
|
CamilleSeaman_2013-_追风者的照片_
|
Everything is interconnected . |
一切事物都彼此相关 |
interconnected:adj.连通的;有联系的;v.互相连接(interconnect的过去式);
|
As a Shinnecock Indian, I was raised to know this. |
身为辛纳科克印第安人我从小就知道这一点 |
We are a small fishing tribe situated on the southeastern tip of Long Island near the town of Southampton in New York. |
我们是以捕鱼为生的小部落 位于长岛东南端 邻近纽约南汉普顿镇 |
tribe:n.部落;族;宗族;一伙; situated:adj.位于…的;处于…境遇的;v.使位于;使处于;(situate的过去分词和过去式) southeastern:adj.东南方的;朝东南的; tip:n.小窍门,小费;v.给…小费;使倾斜; Southampton:n.南安普敦(英国港市);
|
When I was a little girl, my grandfather took me to sit outside in the sun on a hot summer day. |
我年幼时 某个炎热的夏天祖父将我带到户外,坐在阳光下 |
There were no clouds in the sky. |
天空万里无云 |
And after a while I began to perspire . |
不久后,我开始流汗 |
perspire:v.出汗;排汗;发汗;
|
And he pointed up to the sky, and he said, "Look, do you see that? |
祖父指着天空说 “看,妳看见了吗?” |
That's part of you up there. |
“那是妳的一部分” |
That's your water that helps to make the cloud that becomes the rain that feeds the plants that feeds the animals." |
“妳身上的水促使云朵形成” “云产生雨,滋养植物” “植物哺育动物” |
In my continued exploration of subjects in nature that have the ability to illustrate the interconnection of all life, |
在我对自然万物的持续探索中 显示所有生命都彼此相关 |
exploration:n.探索;勘探;探险;[医]探查术; illustrate:v.解释;加插图于;给(书等)做图表;表明…真实; interconnection:n.[计]互连;互相连络;
|
I started storm chasing in 2008 after my daughter said, "Mom, you should do that." |
我从2008年开始追逐风暴 起因在于我女儿说,“妈妈,妳应该这么做” |
And so three days later, driving very fast, |
因此三天后,我开着车高速行驶 |
I found myself stalking a single type of giant cloud called the super cell, capable of producing grapefruit-size hail and spectacular tornadoes , although only two percent actually do. |
发现自己逐渐接近一种名叫超级细胞(super cell)的巨大云层 它能产生葡萄柚大小的冰雹 和壮观的龙卷风 虽然那些都只有百分之二的机会 |
giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的; hail:n.冰雹; v.致敬; spectacular:adj.壮观的;壮丽的;令人惊叹的;n.壮观的场面;精彩的表演; tornadoes:n.[气象]龙卷风(tornado的复数);
|
These clouds can grow so big, up to 50 miles wide and reach up to 65,000 feet into the atmosphere . |
这种云层的体积十分庞大,宽度可达50英哩 高度可达65,000英呎 |
atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格;
|
They can grow so big, blocking all daylight , making it very dark and ominous standing under them. |
大到能完全遮蔽日光 站在它下方令人感到极度黑暗与不祥 |
daylight:n.日光; ominous:adj.预兆的;不吉利的;
|
Storm chasing is a very tactile experience. |
追逐风暴是充满感官刺激的体验 |
tactile:adj.[生理]触觉的,有触觉的;能触知的;
|
There's a warm, moist wind blowing at your back and the smell of the earth, the wheat, the grass, the charged particles . |
温暖潮湿的风从身后吹来 风中散发着泥土麦穗、青草及带电粒子的气息 |
moist:adj.潮湿的;多雨的;含泪的;n.潮湿; particles:n.微粒,粒子;粒子系统;碎木料(particle的复数形式);
|
And then there are the colors in the clouds of hail forming, the greens and the turquoise blues. |
冰雹的形成使云层呈现缤纷的色彩,包括绿色及土耳其蓝 冰雹的形成使云层呈现缤纷的色彩,包括绿色及土耳其蓝 |
in the clouds:心不在焉;在云层中; turquoise:n.绿松石;蓝绿色;adj.蓝绿色的;
|
I've learned to respect the lightning . |
我学会尊重闪电 |
lightning:n.闪电;adj.闪电般的;飞快的;突然的
|
My hair used to be straight. |
我本来是直发 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I'm just kidding. |
只是开个玩笑 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
What really excites me about these storms is their movement, the way they swirl and spin and undulate , with their lava lamp-like mammatus clouds. |
真正令我兴奋的是这些风暴的变化 它们盘绕、旋转、起伏的姿态 彷佛熔岩灯中的乳状流体 |
swirl:n.漩涡;打旋;涡状形;vi.盘绕;打旋;眩晕;大口喝酒;vt.使成漩涡; spin:v.旋转;纺纱;吐丝;纺线;n.头晕;(快速)旋转;常用于英式英语;晕头转向; undulate:vi.起伏,波动; vt.波动; adj.波动的; lava:n.火山岩浆;火山所喷出的熔岩;
|
They become lovely monsters. |
它们成了有趣的怪物 |
When I'm photographing them, |
当我拍摄风暴时 |
I cannot help but remember my grandfather's lesson. |
不禁想起祖父所说的话 |
cannot help but:无奈的;
|
As I stand under them, |
当我站在风暴下方 |
I see not just a cloud, but understand that what I have the privilege to witness is the same forces, the same process in a small-scale version that helped to create our galaxy , our solar system , our sun and even this very planet. |
眼中所见的不仅是云层 也领悟到我有幸目睹的是 某种相同力量和过程的小规模版本 那种力量创造了我们的银河系、太阳系、太阳 甚至我们的地球 |
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免; witness:n.证人;目击者;证据;v.目击;证明;为…作证; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; small-scale:adj.小规模的; galaxy:n.银河;[天]星系;银河系;一群显赫的人; solar system:[天]太阳系;
|
All my relations. Thank you. |
所有与我息息相关的人,谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |