返回首页

BryanStevenson_2012-_我们需要谈谈不公_

Well this is a really extraordinary honor for me. 很荣幸来到这里
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
I spend most of my time in jails , in prisons, on death row . 我大多数时候都 在管教所,在监狱里,在死囚室中
jails:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;vt.监禁;下狱; death row:n.死囚牢房;死囚区;
I spend most of my time in very low-income communities in the projects and places where there's a great deal of hopelessness . 大部分时间我在低收入的社区里工作 在充满绝望的地区,做前途暗淡的项目
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) a great deal of:大量; hopelessness:n.绝望,无望;不抱希望;
And being here at TED and seeing the stimulation , hearing it, has been very, very energizing to me. 今天来到TED 看到听到这些激动人心的演讲 给了我一针强心剂
stimulation:n.刺激;激励,鼓舞; energizing:v.激励(energize的现在分词);通电;
And one of the things that's emerged in my short time here is that TED has an identity . 在这短短的时间里,我注意到 TED有自己的定位
emerged:v.(从隐蔽处或暗处)出现;暴露;露出真相;显现;(emerge的过去分词和过去式) short time:adj.短暂的;快速的(shorttime的变形); identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
And you can actually say things here that have impacts around the world. 你可以看到这里发生的事情 影响全世界
impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用;
And sometimes when it comes through TED, it has meaning and power that it doesn't have when it doesn't. 有时当事情发生在TED的讲台上 比发生在别处 更有意义,更有影响
And I mention that because I think identity is really important. 我提起这个是因为我觉得自我定位很重要
And we've had some fantastic presentations . 我们已经听了一些精彩的演说
fantastic:奇异的,空想的 presentations:n.展示;自我介绍;业务陈述(presentation的复数形式);
And I think what we've learned is that, if you're a teacher your words can be meaningful , but if you're a compassionate teacher, they can be especially meaningful. 我们已经体会到 作为一个老师,你的话是有影响力的 如果你是个很慈善的老师 你的教导就格外意味深长
meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的; compassionate:adj.慈悲的;富于同情心的;vt.同情;怜悯; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
If you're a doctor you can do some good things, but if you're a caring doctor you can do some other things. 作为一个医生,你能够帮助人 如果你是个体恤病人的医生,你能帮助更多
And so I want to talk about the power of identity. 所以我想讲讲定位的重要性
And I didn't learn about this actually practicing law and doing the work that I do. 我不是从做律师 或者做其他项目学到怎样自我定位的
I actually learned about this from my grandmother. 我其实是从我外婆那里学到的
I grew up in a house that was the traditional African American home that was dominated by a matriarch , and that matriarch was my grandmother. 我的家庭 是一个传统的黑人家庭 只有一个女家长 就是我的外婆
traditional:传统的,惯例的, African American:非洲裔美国人(指美国黑人); dominated:v.支配;控制;左右;影响;(dominate的过去式和过去分词) matriarch:n.女家长;女统治者;女负责人;受人尊敬的妇女;
She was tough, she was strong, she was powerful. 她很坚韧, 也很强壮 威风凛凛
She was the end of every argument in our family. 家里有争执,她有决定权
She was the beginning of a lot of arguments in our family. 不过很多事儿也是她挑起来的
She was the daughter of people who were actually enslaved . 她的父母曾是真正的黑奴
enslaved:v.使成为奴隶;奴役;使受控制;(enslave的过去分词和过去式)
Her parents were born in slavery in Virginia in the 1840's. 弗吉尼亚州19世纪40年代,她父母落草为奴
slavery:n.奴隶制;奴隶身份;蓄奴;adj.流口水的;被口水弄脏的; Virginia:adj.弗吉尼亚州的;
She was born in the 1880's and the experience of slavery very much shaped the way she saw the world. 我外婆是十九世纪八十年代生的 这段父母被奴役的经历 决定了她看世界的角度
And my grandmother was tough, but she was also loving. 我的外婆很强势,但她也很慈爱
When I would see her as a little boy, she'd come up to me and she'd give me these hugs. 当我是个小男孩时 每次见到她都拥抱我
come up to:v.达到;等于;
And she'd squeeze me so tight I could barely breathe and then she'd let me go. 她抱得那么紧,我都透不过气来 然后她才会放开我
squeeze:v.挤;紧握;勒索;压榨;n.压榨;紧握;拥挤;佣金; barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
And an hour or two later, if I saw her, she'd come over to me and she'd say, "Bryan, do you still feel me hugging you?" 一两个小时之后,当我再见她 她会过来问我:“还能感觉我的拥抱么?”
And if I said, "No," she'd assault me again, and if I said, "Yes," she'd leave me alone . 如果我说“感觉不到了”,她就再度出击 直到我说“感觉得到”,她才放开我
assault:v.袭击;殴打;威胁;非议;(assault的现在分词) leave me alone:走开;别理我;别管我;
And she just had this quality that you always wanted to be near her. 她就是有这个能力 让你老是想亲近她
And the only challenge was that she had 10 children. 唯一的挑战是她有十个儿女
My mom was the youngest of her 10 kids. 我妈妈是十个里最年轻的
And sometimes when I would go and spend time with her, it would be difficult to get her time and attention. 常常当我去和外婆亲近时 很难让她注意到我,有时间陪我
My cousins would be running around everywhere. 我的表兄妹们总是无处不在
And I remember, when I was about eight or nine years old, waking up one morning, going into the living room , and all of my cousins were running around. 我记得,当我八九岁时的一次 我早上醒来,跑到客厅 所有的表兄妹都在
living room:n.客厅;起居室;
And my grandmother was sitting across the room staring at me. 我外婆坐在房间的另一端 盯着我看
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
And at first I thought we were playing a game. 一开始我以为我们在玩游戏
And I would look at her and I'd smile, but she was very serious. 我就看回去,对她笑笑 但我外婆是很严肃的
And after about 15 or 20 minutes of this, she got up and she came across the room and she took me by the hand and she said, "Come on, Bryan. You and I are going to have a talk." 大概十五还是二十分钟之后 她站起来,穿过房间 牵住我的手 对我说:“过来,布莱恩,我们得谈谈。”
And I remember this just like it happened yesterday. 这就像是昨天才发生的一样
I never will forget it. 我永远忘不掉
She took me out back and she said, "Bryan, I'm going to tell you something, but you don't tell anybody what I tell you." 她把我带到一边说:“我想和你说些事, 你不许和任何人说。”
I said, "Okay, Mama." 我答应了:“好的,姥姥。”
She said, "Now you make sure you don't do that." I said, "Sure." 她说:“保证绝不说出去。”我回答:“保证。”
Then she sat me down and she looked at me and she said, "I want you to know 然后我们坐下,她看着我 说:“我想让你知道
I've been watching you." 我观察你一段时间了。”
And she said, "I think you're special." 接着她说:“你是个特别的孩子。”
She said, "I think you can do anything you want to do." 她说:“我确信你是无所不能的。”
I will never forget it. 这我永远不会忘记
And then she said, "I just need you to promise me three things, Bryan." 接着她说:“我想让你向我保证三件事。”
I said, "Okay, Mama." 我说:“好的姥姥。”
She said, "The first thing I want you to promise me is that you'll always love your mom." 她说:“第一,我想让你保证 你会永远爱你的妈妈。”
She said, "That's my baby girl, and you have to promise me now you'll always take care of her." 她说:“你妈妈是我的心头肉, 你得向我保证你会永远爱护她。”
Well I adored my mom, so I said, "Yes, Mama. I'll do that." 我很爱我妈妈,我说:“好,姥姥,我会。”
Then she said, "The second thing I want you to promise me is that you'll always do the right thing even when the right thing is the hard thing." 接着她说:“第二件事,是你要答应我 你会永远走正路 即使走正路是很难的选择。”
And I thought about it and I said, "Yes, Mama. I'll do that." 我想了想回答:“好的姥姥,我会的。”
Then finally she said, "The third thing I want you to promise me is that you'll never drink alcohol ." 最后她说:“第三件事,我要你保证 你永不喝酒。”
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; alcohol:n.酒精;乙醇;含酒精饮料;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Well I was nine years old, so I said, "Yes, Mama. I'll do that." 我才九岁,我答应:“好,姥姥,我保证。”
I grew up in the country in the rural South, and I have a brother a year older than me and a sister a year younger. 我在南部的乡下长大 我有个哥哥大我一岁,还有个妹妹小我一岁
rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的;
When I was about 14 or 15, one day my brother came home and he had this six-pack of beer -- 当我十四五岁时 一天我哥哥带回到家半打啤酒——
six-pack:n.可装六个并可手提的厚纸板箱;
I don't know where he got it -- and he grabbed me and my sister and we went out in the woods. 我都不知道他怎么弄到的—— 他带上我和我妹妹,跑到树林里
grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式)
And we were kind of just out there doing the stuff we crazily did. 一通疯玩疯跑
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: crazily:adv.发狂地;狂热地;
And he had a sip of this beer and he gave some to my sister and she had some, and they offered it to me. 他喝了一口啤酒,递给我妹妹,她也喝了 然后他们递给了我
sip:v.小口喝;n.一小口(饮料);
I said, "No, no, no. That's okay. You all go ahead. I'm not going to have any beer." 我说:“我不要。没事,你们喝。我不喝。”
My brother said, "Come on. We're doing this today; you always do what we do. 我哥哥说:“来嘛,我们今个儿都喝。你老是和我们一条阵线的。
I had some, your sister had some. Have some beer." 我喝了点,妹妹也喝了点,你来些。”
I said, "No, I don't feel right about that. Y'all go ahead. Y'all go ahead." 我说:“不,我不想喝。你们喝你们喝。”
And then my brother started staring at me. 我哥哥盯住我
He said, "What's wrong with you? Have some beer." 问:“你有什么毛病?喝一点。”
Then he looked at me real hard and he said, "Oh, I hope you're not still hung up on that conversation Mama had with you." 接着他细细打量了我一会,问我: “噢,你不会还想着 姥姥要你保证的事吧。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
I said, "Well, what are you talking about?" 我说:“你在说什么呀?”
He said, "Oh, Mama tells all the grandkids that they're special." 他说:“姥姥和每个外孙都说他很特别。”
grandkids:n.(外)孙;(外)孙女;(grandkid的复数)
(Laughter) (笑声)
I was devastated . 我这个伤心呀
devastated:adj.不安的,混乱的,震惊的; v.彻底破坏; (devastate的过去分词和过去式)
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I'm going to admit something to you. 现在我想向大家坦白一件事
I'm going to tell you something I probably shouldn't. 可能不该在这里说
I know this might be broadcast broadly . 因为这个演讲是会到处播的
broadcast:v.广播; n.广播节目; adj.[无线]播音的; broadly:adv.明显地;宽广地;概括地;露骨地;粗鄙地;
But I'm 52 years old, and I'm going to admit to you that I've never had a drop of alcohol. 我今年五十二了 我要向大家承认 我从来没有喝过一滴酒
(Applause) (掌声)
I don't say that because I think that's virtuous; 这不是为了显派我多有道德
I say that because there is power in identity. 是为了说明自我定位的威力
When we create the right kind of identity, we can say things to the world around us that they don't actually believe makes sense. 当我们决定了正确的定位 我们就可以让全世界接受 他们本来想不到的事情
We can get them to do things that they don't think they can do. 我们能让世界做 他们本来觉得做不到的事情
When I thought about my grandmother, of course she would think all her grandkids were special. 当我想到我的外婆 她当然觉得每个外孙都很特别
My grandfather was in prison during prohibition . 我的外公因为违了禁在蹲监狱
prohibition:n.禁止;禁令;禁酒;诉讼中止令;
My male uncles died of alcohol-related diseases . 我不止一个舅舅死与和酗酒有关的疾病
diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类;
And these were the things she thought we needed to commit to. 这些原则都是我外婆相信我们应该坚持的
commit:v.犯(罪等);干(坏事等);[法]提(审);判处;
Well I've been trying to say something about our criminal justice system. 我想向大家介绍的 是我们刑事执法系统
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
This country is very different today than it was 40 years ago. 和四十年前比 这个国家变了很多
In 1972, there were 300,000 people in jails and prisons. 在1972年,监狱里只有三十万人
Today, there are 2.3 million. 今天,有两百三十万
The United States now has the highest rate of incarceration in the world. 今天美国是世界上 服刑人口比例最高的国家
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) incarceration:n.监禁;下狱;禁闭;
We have seven million people on probation and parole . 我们有七百万人在缓刑期和假释期
probation:n.试用;缓刑;查验; parole:n.语言;誓言,诺言;释放宣言;v.有条件释放,假释;使假释出狱;
And mass incarceration, in my judgment , has fundamentally changed our world. 在我看来,这样的大量判刑 完全改变了我们的世界
mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集; judgment:n.判断;裁判;判决书;辨别力; fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地
In poor communities, in communities of color there is this despair , there is this hopelessness, that is being shaped by these outcomes . 在贫穷的社区里,在有色人种社区里 充满了绝望 这样的绝望 是由这些改变带来的
despair:v.绝望;失去希望;丧失信心;n.绝望; outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数)
One out of three black men between the ages of 18 and 30 is in jail, in prison, on probation or parole. 三分之一的黑人男性 十八岁到三十岁之间的 不是在监狱里,就是在缓刑期或者假释期
In urban communities across this country -- 在全国各处的城市社区里——
urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的;
Los Angeles, Philadelphia , Baltimore , Washington -- 50 to 60 percent of all young men of color are in jail or prison or on probation or parole. 洛杉矶,费城,巴尔的摩,华盛顿—— 百分之五十到六十的有色人种的年轻人 不是在监狱里,就是在缓刑期或者假释期
Philadelphia:n.费城(美国宾夕法尼亚州东南部港市); Baltimore:n.巴尔的摩(美国一座港市);
Our system isn't just being shaped in these ways that seem to be distorting around race, they're also distorted by poverty . 我们的司法系统不仅是改变了 而是围绕着种族问题扭曲了 也围绕着贫困扭曲了
distorting:v.使变形;扭曲;使失真;歪曲;(distort的现在分词) distorted:adj.歪曲的;受到曲解的;v.扭曲(distort的过去式和过去分词); poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
We have a system of justice in this country that treats you much better if you're rich and guilty than if you're poor and innocent . 这个国家的司法系统 会对你特殊照顾 如果你是有罪的富人而不是无辜的穷人的话
treats:v.以…态度对待; n.乐事; guilty:adj.有罪的;内疚的; innocent:adj.无辜的;无罪的;无知的;n.天真的人;笨蛋;
Wealth , not culpability , shapes outcomes. 财富,而不是过失本身 决定了最终结果
Wealth:n.财富;大量;富有; culpability:n.可责;有过失;有罪;
And yet, we seem to be very comfortable. 可是,我们还挺自在的呢
The politics of fear and anger have made us believe that these are problems that are not our problems. 玩弄恐惧和愤怒的政治手腕 说服了我们 事不关己
politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
We've been disconnected . 高高挂起
disconnected:adj.分离的; v.切断(煤气、水或电的供应); (disconnect的过去式和过去分词)
It's interesting to me. 我对这个很感兴趣
We're looking at some very interesting developments in our work. 我们日常工作能看一些很有意思的变革
My state of Alabama , like a number of states, actually permanently disenfranchises you if you have a criminal conviction . 我所在的阿拉巴马州,像很多其他州一样 如果你被判有罪 就终身剥夺你的政治权力
Alabama:n.阿拉巴马州(美国州名); permanently:adv.永久地,长期不变地; disenfranchises:vt.剥夺…的公民权(等于disfranchise); conviction:n.判罪;定罪;坚定的看法(或信念);坚信;肯定;
Right now in Alabama 34 percent of the black male population has permanently lost the right to vote. 现在在阿拉巴马州 百分之三十四的黑人男性 永远失去了投票权
We're actually projecting in another 10 years the level of disenfranchisement will be as high as it's been since prior to the passage of the Voting Rights Act. 我们向前看十年 这个剥夺政治权利的比例 将和投票权法案通过之前 一样的高
disenfranchisement:n.剥夺公民选举权; prior:adj.先前的; n.(小隐修院)院长; v.居先;
And there is this stunning silence. 可是没人提半个字
stunning:adj.惊人的; v.使昏迷; (stun的现在分词)
I represent children. 我代表孩子们上庭
represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送;
A lot of my clients are very young. 很多我的被告都很年轻
clients:n.委托人;当事人;客户机;(client的复数)
The United States is the only country in the world where we sentence 13-year-old children to die in prison. 美国是世界上唯一能将 十三岁的孩子 判成终身监禁的国家
We have life imprisonment without parole for kids in this country. 我国对孩子判终身监禁,还不得假释
imprisonment:n.监禁,关押;坐牢;下狱;
And we're actually doing some litigation . 我们其实现在就在帮这些人上诉
litigation:n.诉讼;起诉;
The only country in the world. 世界上独一份
I represent people on death row. 我也代理死刑犯的官司
It's interesting, this question of the death penalty . 死刑这件事很发人深省
death penalty:死刑;
In many ways, we've been taught to think that the real question is, do people deserve to die for the crimes they've committed ? 我们从各种渠道了解到 (死刑的)根本问题是 人该不该为他们犯的罪行偿命
deserve:vi.应受,应得; committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式)
And that's a very sensible question. 这是个非常合理的问题
sensible:adj.明智的; n.可感觉到的东西;
But there's another way of thinking about where we are in our identity. 但是另一方面 问题是我们的自我定位
The other way of thinking about it is not, do people deserve to die for the crimes they commit, but do we deserve to kill? 另一个想问题的方式 不是人们该不该为罪行偿命 而是我们配不配杀他们
I mean, it's fascinating . 我是说,这个问题非常震撼
fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词)
Death penalty in America is defined by error. 死刑在美国是常有差错的
defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确;
For every nine people who have been executed , we've actually identified one innocent person who's been exonerated and released from death row. 每九个被判死刑的人 有一个后来会被证明无罪 被免死刑
executed:v.(尤指依法)处决,处死;实行;执行;实施;(execute的过去分词和过去式) identified:v.确认;认出;找到;发现;说明身份;(identify的过去式和过去分词) exonerated:v.宣布(某人)无罪;免除责任;(exonerate的过去式和过去分词) released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式)
A kind of astonishing error rate -- one out of nine people innocent. 这种错误率—— 九分之一的人完全无辜
astonishing:adj.令人十分惊讶的;v.使十分惊讶;使吃惊;(astonish的现在分词)
I mean, it's fascinating. 我得说,非常震撼
In aviation , we would never let people fly on airplanes if for every nine planes that took off one would crash. 学航空的人知道,如果每九架飞机里 会有一架出事故 我们肯定是不会让这玩意儿载人飞的
aviation:n.航空;飞行术;飞机制造业; airplanes:n.(美)[航]飞机(airplane的复数);
But somehow we can insulate ourselves from this problem. 但是莫名其妙地我们就能忽视死刑的问题
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; insulate:vt.隔离,使孤立;使绝缘,使隔热;
It's not our problem. 因为这不是我们自身的问题
It's not our burden . 这不是我们自身的麻烦
burden:n.负担;责任;船的载货量;v.使负担;烦扰;装货于;
It's not our struggle. 这不是我们自身的挣扎
I talk a lot about these issues . 我谈了很多问题
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
I talk about race and this question of whether we deserve to kill. 种族,还有 我们配不配执行死刑
And it's interesting, when I teach my students about African American history, 这很发人深省。当我教美国黑人历史的时候
I tell them about slavery. 我和学生讲奴隶制
I tell them about terrorism , the era that began at the end of reconstruction that went on to World War II. 和他们讲恐怖主义 那个始于大复兴晚期 一直到二战时期的时代
terrorism:n.恐怖主义; reconstruction:n.再建,重建;改造;复兴;
We don't really know very much about it. 我们并不真的了解那段历史
But for African Americans in this country, that was an era defined by terror. 但是对于这个国家的黑人来说 那是个白色恐怖时代
In many communities, people had to worry about being lynched . 在很多社区,人们害怕随时会被私刑处死
lynched:n.私刑;私刑处死;(英)田埂;vt.处以私刑;以私刑处死;
They had to worry about being bombed. 人们担心随时会被炸弹袭击
It was the threat of terror that shaped their lives. 那个白色恐怖时代,改变了他们的生活
And these older people come up to me now and they say, "Mr. Stevenson, you give talks, you make speeches, you tell people to stop saying we're dealing with terrorism for the first time in our nation's history after 9/11." 那时的人现在上了年纪,来和我说 “史蒂文森先生,你到处演讲 你得告诉大家 别说什么911以后是我们美国有史以来 第一次对付恐怖主义。”
They tell me to say, "No, tell them that we grew up with that." 他们让我说:“我们就是在恐怖里长大的。”
And that era of terrorism, of course, was followed by segregation and decades of racial subordination and apartheid . 那个恐怖主义的时代,当然了 最后演变成了无法逾越的鸿沟 数十年的种族歧视 和种族隔离
segregation:n.隔离,分离;种族隔离; racial:adj.种族的;人种的; subordination:n.从属;附属;主从关系; apartheid:n.种族隔离;
And yet, we have in this country this dynamic where we really don't like to talk about our problems. 然而,我们这个国家 不喜欢讨论存在的问题
dynamic:n.动力; adj.充满活力的;
We don't like to talk about our history. 我们不喜欢讨论历史
And because of that, we really haven't understood what it's meant to do the things we've done historically . 正因如此,我们不能真正理解 我们有史以来做了什么
historically:adv.历史上地;从历史观点上说;
We're constantly running into each other. 我们不停地产生冲突
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
We're constantly creating tensions and conflicts . 不停地制造紧张气氛
tensions:张力;紧张; conflicts:n.冲突; v.抵触;
We have a hard time talking about race, and I believe it's because we are unwilling to commit ourselves to a process of truth and reconciliation . 我们没法讨论种族问题 我相信是因为我们不愿意正视 一系列的事实,不愿意达成和解
unwilling:adj.不愿意的;不情愿的;勉强的; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; reconciliation:n.和解;调和;和谐;甘愿;
In South Africa, people understood that we couldn't overcome apartheid without a commitment to truth and reconciliation. 在南非,人们知道 我们不能忘记种族隔离 除非我们诚实面对,达成和解
overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜; commitment:n.承诺;投入;保证;许诺;
In Rwanda, even after the genocide , there was this commitment, but in this country we haven't done that. 在卢旺达,即使种族灭绝后,人们还是正视了 但是在美国我们不愿意这么干
genocide:n.种族灭绝;灭绝整个种族的大屠杀;
I was giving some lectures in Germany about the death penalty. 我也在德国谈过死刑的问题
It was fascinating because one of the scholars stood up after the presentation and said, "Well you know it's deeply troubling to hear what you're talking about." 结果很绝妙 因为在讲谈后有个学者站起来 说:“你要知道, 听你谈这个很痛心。”
scholars:n.学者们(scholar的复数);
He said, "We don't have the death penalty in Germany. 她说:“我们德国没有死刑。
And of course, we can never have the death penalty in Germany." 当然了,我们德国永远也不可能有死刑。”
And the room got very quiet, and this woman said, "There's no way, with our history, we could ever engage in the systematic killing of human beings. 全场肃静 这位女士说: “因为我们的历史, 我们永不可能决定 有系统地杀人。
engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定; systematic:adj.系统的;体系的;有系统的;[图情]分类的;一贯的,惯常的;
It would be unconscionable for us to, in an intentional and deliberate way, set about executing people." 公开化且下意识地 执行死刑,对我们来说 是良心上无法接受的
unconscionable:adj.不合理的;昧着良心的;肆无忌惮的;过度的; intentional:adj.故意的;蓄意的;策划的; deliberate:v.深思熟虑;仔细考虑;反复思考;adj.故意的;蓄意的;存心的;不慌不忙的; executing:v.(尤指依法)处决,处死;实行;执行;实施;(execute的现在分词)
And I thought about that. 我思考了这个问题
What would it feel like to be living in a world where the nation state of Germany was executing people, especially if they were disproportionately Jewish ? 如果我整天 都看着德国人杀人 毫无道理地屠杀犹太人 我会有什么感受?
nation state:n.单一民族国家; disproportionately:adv.不成比例地; Jewish:adj.犹太人的;犹太族的;
I couldn't bear it. 我无法忍受
It would be unconscionable. 那真是太不合理了
And yet, in this country, in the states of the Old South, we execute people -- where you're 11 times more likely to get the death penalty if the victim is white than if the victim is black, 22 times more likely to get it 但是,在我们这个国家 在南方各州 我们真的在屠杀—— 当仅仅因为受害人是白人而不是黑人 你被判死刑的机率上升十倍时 当仅仅因为被告是黑人而不是白人
victim:n.受害人;牺牲品;牺牲者;
if the defendant is black and the victim is white -- in the very states where there are buried in the ground the bodies of people who were lynched. 你被判死刑的机率上升二十一倍时—— 在这些州,到处埋着 被私刑处死的人
defendant:adj.[法律]被告的;辩护的;n.[法律]被告人;被告方;
And yet, there is this disconnect. 可是,我们还是漠不关心
Well I believe that our identity is at risk. 我相信这说明我们有定位危机
That when we actually don't care about these difficult things, the positive and wonderful things are nonetheless implicated . 当我们对这些棘手的问题 置之不顾时 我们却仍旧对那些正面的好事儿 一如既往地关心
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; nonetheless:adv.尽管如此,但是; implicated:adj.密切关联的; v.涉及(某人); (implicate的过去分词和过去式)
We love innovation . 我们爱极了革新
innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
We love technology . We love creativity. 我们爱技术,我们爱创造
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
We love entertainment. 我们爱娱乐
But ultimately , those realities are shadowed by suffering, abuse , degradation , marginalization . 但是最终 这些好的现实 都被痛苦煎熬, 滥用职权,剥夺人权 边缘化,蒙上了阴影
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂; degradation:n.退化;降格,降级;堕落; marginalization:n.边缘化;忽视;排斥;
And for me, it becomes necessary to integrate the two. 对于我来说两者合一 是必要的
integrate:v.成为一体;(使)加入;adj.完全的;
Because ultimately we are talking about a need to be more hopeful, more committed, more dedicated to the basic challenges of living in a complex world. 因为最终我们谈的 是怎么更有希望 更有保障,更有贡献 来应付生活在这个复杂社会中的种种挑战
dedicated:adj.献身的; v.把…奉献给; (dedicate的过去分词和过去式) complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
And for me that means spending time thinking and talking about the poor, the disadvantaged , those who will never get to TED. 对于我来说那需要 花时间思考和讨论 穷人阶层,弱势群体 那些永远也没机会来TED的人
disadvantaged:adj.贫困的; n.弱势团体; v.使处于不利地位(disadvantage的过去式和过去分词);
But thinking about them in a way that is integrated in our own lives. 不过想着他们其实在某种意义上 是把他们融合进我们的生活里
integrated:adj.综合的; v.整合; (integrate的过去式和过去分词)
You know ultimately, we all have to believe things we haven't seen. 要知道最终,我们得相信那些没亲眼见的事
We do. As rational as we are, as committed to intellect as we are. 我们不得不。作为理智的社会,这么聪明的社会
rational:n.理性;人类;合理的事物;[数]有理数;adj.合理的;理性的;明智的;理智的; intellect:n.智力,理解力;知识分子;思维逻辑领悟力;智力高的人;
Innovation, creativity, development comes not from the ideas in our mind alone. 革新,创造 发展,并不仅仅 在我们脑子里空想出来的
They come from the ideas in our mind that are also fueled by some conviction in our heart. 它们是从我们脑子里的智慧 和我们心里的信念 相结合的产物
And it's that mind-heart connection that I believe compels us to not just be attentive to all the bright and dazzly things, but also the dark and difficult things. 这个灵智合一 我相信会驱使我们 不仅仅是对那些 光明的事情更上心 同时对那些黑暗面和棘手的事情也是一样
compels:v.强迫; attentive:adj.留意的,注意的;
Vaclav Havel, the great Czech leader, talked about this. 韦克拉乌·哈韦尔,这位捷克的杰出领导人,谈过这个问题
Czech:adj.捷克的,捷克人的,捷克语的;n.捷克人;捷克语;
He said, "When we were in Eastern Europe and dealing with oppression , we wanted all kinds of things, but mostly what we needed was hope, an orientation of the spirit, a willingness to sometimes be in hopeless places and be a witness ." 他说:“当我们在东欧解决强制压迫的问题时 我们希望能成就很多 但是最重要的,我们要一个希望 一个心灵的指向 一种不惮于体会绝望的态度 以及为史留证的意愿。”
Eastern:adj.东方的;向东的;东部的;东方国家的;n.东方人;东正教信徒; oppression:n.压抑;镇压;压迫手段;沉闷;苦恼; orientation:n.方向;定向;适应;情况介绍;向东方; willingness:n.乐意;心甘情愿;自动自发; witness:n.证人;目击者;证据;v.目击;证明;为…作证;
Well that orientation of the spirit is very much at the core of what I believe even TED communities have to be engaged in . 这个心灵的指向 就是我的核心信念 我们的TED社会 也要参与进来
core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核; engaged in:从事于;忙于;
There is no disconnect around technology and design that will allow us to be fully human until we pay attention to suffering, to poverty, to exclusion , to unfairness , to injustice . 这里不应有任何东西把 高新的科技和完美的设计 和我们的人性间隔开来 只要我们还能注意到痛苦 注意到贫穷,制约,不公,和冤屈
pay attention to:注意 exclusion:n.排除;排斥;驱逐;被排除在外的事物; unfairness:n.不公平,不公正;不正当; injustice:n.不公正;不讲道义;
Now I will warn you that this kind of identity is a much more challenging identity than ones that don't pay attention to this. 我想提醒大家 这样的定位 是很有挑战性的 比起那些漠不关心的定位来说
It will get to you. 它会影响你
I had the great privilege , when I was a young lawyer, of meeting Rosa Parks. 当我是个年轻律师,我有幸见到帕克斯夫人
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免;
And Ms. Parks used to come back to Montgomery every now and then , and she would get together with two of her dearest friends, these older women, 帕克斯夫人曾时不时会到蒙哥马利 每次她都会和两个好友会面 两位上了年纪的女性
every now and then:不时地;常常; get together:聚会
Johnnie Carr who was the organizer of the Montgomery bus boycott -- amazing African American woman -- and Virginia Durr, a white woman, whose husband, Clifford Durr, represented Dr. King. 姜妮·卡尔,她是蒙哥马利 公车抵制运动的组织者—— 非常出色的黑人女性—— 还有弗吉尼亚·杜尔,一位白人女性 她丈夫克利福德·杜尔是马丁·路德·金的律师
Carr:n.载波体;[植]卡尔群落; organizer:n.组织者;承办单位;[生物]组织导体; boycott:v.联合抵制;拒绝参加;n.联合抵制; represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词)
And these women would get together and just talk. 这些女士们经常聚在一起讨论问题
And every now and then Ms. Carr would call me, and she'd say, "Bryan, Ms. Parks is coming to town. We're going to get together and talk. 有时卡尔夫人会给我打电话 问我:“帕克斯夫人回来了,我们要聚聚。
Do you want to come over and listen?" 你愿不愿意来听我们谈话?”
And I'd say, "Yes, Ma'am, I do." 我会说:“当然,夫人,我愿意。”
And she'd say, "Well what are you going to do when you get here?" 她会问:“你来这里具体干什么呀?”
I said, "I'm going to listen." 我会说:“我就想听听。”
And I'd go over there and I would, I would just listen. 然后我会过去,只是倾听
It would be so energizing and so empowering . 这些聚会总是非常激动和鼓舞人心的
empowering:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;增加(某人的)自主权;(empower的现在分词)
And one time I was over there listening to these women talk, and after a couple of hours Ms. Parks turned to me and she said, "Now Bryan, tell me what the Equal Justice Initiative is. 有一次我在那里听她们谈话 几小时后帕克斯夫人问我 她问:“布莱恩,和我讲讲你的平等司法倡议。
Initiative:n.倡议;主动性;积极性;主动权;adj.起始的;
Tell me what you're trying to do." 和我讲讲你打算做什么。”
And I began giving her my rap . 我就开始大讲特讲
rap:n.说唱;说唱音乐;罪责;不公正的判决;v.击打;突然大声说出;严厉批评;
I said, "Well we're trying to challenge injustice. 我说:“我们想向不公正的待遇提出挑战。
We're trying to help people who have been wrongly convicted . 我们想帮那些被误判了刑的人。
wrongly:adv.错误地;不恰当地;不公正地; convicted:v.定罪;宣判…有罪;(convict的过去式和过去分词)
We're trying to confront bias and discrimination in the administration of criminal justice. 我们想和在刑法制度里的 偏见和歧视做对抗。
confront:v.直面;无法回避;降临于;处理;对抗; bias:adv.使有偏见;n.偏见;偏心;偏爱;v.使有偏见;使偏向;adj.斜的;[电]偏动的; discrimination:n.歧视;区别,辨别;识别力;
We're trying to end life without parole sentences for children. 给孩子被判终身无法假释的制度给终结掉。
We're trying to do something about the death penalty. 我们想为死刑制度做些改变。
We're trying to reduce the prison population. 我们想减少监狱人口。
We're trying to end mass incarceration." 我们还想杜绝过度泛滥的监禁。”
I gave her my whole rap, and when I finished she looked at me and she said, "Mmm mmm mmm." 我做了一个全本无删减的演讲,当我结束时,她盯着我 说:“别别别。”
She said, "That's going to make you tired, tired, tired." 她说:“这些会让你很累,很累,很累的。”
(Laughter) (笑声)
And that's when Ms. Carr leaned forward, she put her finger in my face, she said, "That's why you've got to be brave, brave, brave." 这时卡尔夫人凑过来,她把手放在我脸边说: “这就是为什么你要很勇敢很勇敢很勇敢。”
leaned:v.前俯后仰;倾斜;倚靠;使斜靠;(lean的过去分词和过去式)
And I actually believe that the TED community needs to be more courageous . 我确信TED这个社会 需要更有胆量些
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; courageous:adj.有胆量的,勇敢的;
We need to find ways to embrace these challenges, these problems, the suffering. 我们需要找到出路 来面对这些挑战 这些问题,这些痛苦
embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;
Because ultimately, our humanity depends on everyone's humanity. 因为最终,我们的整体的人性取决于 每个人的人性
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
I've learned very simple things doing the work that I do. 在我的工作中
It's just taught me very simple things. 我学到了非常简单的原则
I've come to understand and to believe that each of us is more than the worst thing we've ever done. 我开始理解,开始相信 我们每一个人 都不会被我们最坏的一面所定义
I believe that for every person on the planet. 我相信,对于这个星球上的每一个人
I think if somebody tells a lie, they're not just a liar . 如果他撒了个谎,并不说明他就是个骗子
liar:n.说谎的人;
I think if somebody takes something that doesn't belong to them, they're not just a thief. 如果他拿了不属于他的东西 并不说明他就是个惯偷
I think even if you kill someone, you're not just a killer. 甚至你杀了人,并不说明你就是个冷血杀手
And because of that there's this basic human dignity that must be respected by law. 因为我相信人类有基本的尊严 法律必须尊重它
dignity:n.尊严;高贵;
I also believe that in many parts of this country, and certainly in many parts of this globe, that the opposite of poverty is not wealth. 我也相信 在我们国家的很多地方 当然甚至这个世界的很多地方 贫穷的反面,不是富裕
I don't believe that. 我不相信这个
I actually think, in too many places, the opposite of poverty is justice. 我认为,在很多很多地方 贫穷的反面,是公正
And finally, I believe that, despite the fact that it is so dramatic and so beautiful and so inspiring and so stimulating , we will ultimately not be judged by our technology, we won't be judged by our design, we won't be judged by our intellect and reason. 最后,我相信 尽管(我们的科技和设计)很有声色 很美妙,很鼓动人心 也很刺激 但我们本身最终不会被科技所评价 也不会被设计所衡量 我们也不会被智慧和哲学来打分
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的; inspiring:adj.鼓舞人心的;灌输的;v.鼓舞;激发;使感悟;(inspire的现在分词) stimulating:adj.激励人的; v.促进; (stimulate的现在分词)
Ultimately, you judge the character of a society, not by how they treat their rich and the powerful and the privileged , but by how they treat the poor, the condemned , the incarcerated . 最终,人们会评价我们这个社会 不是根据我们怎么款待富人,有特权的人 而是根据我们怎么对待穷人 被谴责的人,被囚禁的人
privileged:adj.有特权的; v.给予特权; (privilege的过去式和过去分词) condemned:adj.已被定罪的;被责难的; incarcerated:v.监禁;关押;禁闭;(incarcerate的过去式和过去分词)
Because it's in that nexus that we actually begin to understand truly profound things about who we are. 因为正是在这个合流点 我们真正地开始对于我们是什么样的人 有了深入的理解
nexus:n.关系;连结,连系; profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的;
I sometimes get out of balance. I'll end with this story. 我常失去平衡。我想用个故事结束我的演讲
I sometimes push too hard. 我有时工作太多
I do get tired, as we all do. 很累,就像大家每个人一样
Sometimes those ideas get ahead of our thinking in ways that are important. 有时这些想法太多而思考跟不上 结果是很严重的
get ahead of:v.胜过;
And I've been representing these kids who have been sentenced to do these very harsh sentences. 我曾经为这些孩子们辩护 他们被判了很重的刑
representing:v.代表;维护…的利益;等于;相当于;(represent的现在分词) harsh:adj.严厉的;严酷的;刺耳的;粗糙的;刺目的;
And I go to the jail and I see my client who's 13 and 14, and he's been certified to stand trial as an adult. 我去管教所,看见我的被告都是十三四岁 他们被说成是成年人,作为成年人对待
certified:adj.被证明了的; v.(尤指书面)证明,证实; (certify的过去式和过去分词)
I start thinking, well, how did that happen? 我开始想,到底是怎么一回事?
How can a judge turn you into something that you're not? 一个法官,怎么能够把一个人 判定成一个不同的人?
And the judge has certified him as an adult, but I see this kid. 这个法官说他是成年人,但我只看见一个孩子
And I was up too late one night and I starting thinking, well gosh, if the judge can turn you into something that you're not, the judge must have magic power. 一天晚上我彻夜难眠,不止地想 天哪,如果法官能把你写成另一个人 这个法官肯定有魔法
Yeah, Bryan, the judge has some magic power. 对了,布莱恩,这个法官有魔法
You should ask for some of that. 你可得学着点
And because I was up too late, wasn't thinking real straight, 因为我睡得太晚,脑子不清楚
I started working on a motion . 我开始做一个议案
motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势;
And I had a client who was 14 years old, a young, poor black kid. 我有个被告,十四岁,一个黑人小孩子
And I started working on this motion, and the head of the motion was: "Motion to try my poor, 14-year-old black male client like a privileged, white 75-year-old corporate executive ." 我开始做他的辩护 标题是:“提案:将我的 十四岁的穷黑孩子 想成一个七十五岁的特级 白人企业高管。”
corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的; executive:n.管理人员; adj.经营管理的;
(Applause) (掌声)
And I put in my motion that there was prosecutorial misconduct and police misconduct and judicial misconduct. 在这个提案里 我说检察院,警察局和法庭都处理不当
prosecutorial:adj.原告的;公诉人的; misconduct:n.不端行为;处理不当;vt.处理不当;行为不检; judicial:adj.公正的,明断的;法庭的;审判上的;
There was a crazy line in there about how there's no conduct in this county , it's all misconduct. 说这个法院没有合情合法这一说之类的疯话 全是故意乱判
county:n.郡,县;
And the next morning, I woke up and I thought, now did I dream that crazy motion, or did I actually write it? 第二天早上我醒来回想,我是做了个梦呢 还是真的写了这个提案?
And to my horror , not only had I written it, but I had sent it to court. 恐怖的是,不光我真写了 我还寄给法院了
horror:n.恐惧;厌恶;震惊;对某事物的强烈畏惧(或憎恨);
(Applause) (掌声)
A couple months went by, and I had just forgotten all about it. 几个月过去了 我全忘了有这么回事
And I finally decided, oh gosh, I've got to go to the court and do this crazy case. 最后我决定 天哪,我得上庭去做这个案子
And I got into my car and I was feeling really overwhelmed -- overwhelmed. 我跳上车 觉得很紧张——非常紧张
overwhelmed:v.受打击,压倒;淹没;(overwhelm的过去分词和过去式)
And I got in my car and I went to this courthouse . 我上车开到法庭
courthouse:n.法院;(美)县政府所在地;
And I was thinking, this is going to be so difficult, so painful . 我在想,这将会是场硬仗,会很痛苦
painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的;
And I finally got out of the car and I started walking up to the courthouse. 最后我终于钻出车子,开始往法庭走
And as I was walking up the steps of this courthouse, there was an older black man who was the janitor in this courthouse. 当我上台阶时 有个上了年纪的黑人老伯,法院的清洁工
janitor:n.看门人;守卫;门警;
When this man saw me, he came over to me and he said, "Who are you?" 他看见我,跑来说 他问:“你是谁?”
I said, "I'm a lawyer." He said, "You're a lawyer?" I said, "Yes, sir." 我说:“我是律师。”他说:“你,是律师?”我说:“是的。先生。”
And this man came over to me and he hugged me. 这个老伯凑过来 给了我一个拥抱
And he whispered in my ear. 他悄悄在我耳边说
He said, "I'm so proud of you." 他说:“我真为你骄傲。”
And I have to tell you, it was energizing. 我得和大家承认 这可给了我一针强心剂
It connected deeply with something in me about identity, about the capacity of every person to contribute to a community, to a perspective that is hopeful. 他的话提醒了我心深处 我的自我定位 提醒了我每个人都应该 对社会,对更好的前景做出的贡献
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; contribute to:有助于;捐献; perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
Well I went into the courtroom . 所以我跑到法庭里
courtroom:n.法庭;审判室;
And as soon as I walked inside, the judge saw me coming in. 我一走进去,法官看见我就说:
as soon as:一…就;
He said, "Mr. Stevenson, did you write this crazy motion?" “史蒂文森先生,是你写了这个疯案么?”
I said, "Yes, sir. I did." And we started arguing. 我说:“是先生,是我写的。”我们开始争论
And people started coming in because they were just outraged . 人们陆续跑进来,因为大家都愤怒了
outraged:adj.义愤填膺的;愤慨的,气愤的;v.使愤怒(outrage的过去式,过去分词);
I had written these crazy things. 我的确写了不少挺够劲的事情
And police officers were coming in and assistant prosecuters and clerk workers. 警察也进来了 助理检察官也进来了,书记员也进来了
And before I knew it, the courtroom was filled with people angry that we were talking about race, that we were talking about poverty, that we were talking about inequality. 我还没回过神来,整个法庭站满了人 全很愤怒,因为我们在谈种族问题 我们在谈贫穷 我们在谈不平等待遇
And out of the corner of my eye, I could see this janitor pacing back and forth . 我眼角瞟到那个清洁工,在外面走来走去
back and forth:前后移动的,来回的,反复的;
And he kept looking through the window, and he could hear all of this holler . 不断向里张望,他也都能听到人们的抱怨
holler:vi.发牢骚;叫喊;抱怨;vt.大声叫喊;n.叫喊;
He kept pacing back and forth. 他就这样来回来去地走
And finally, this older black man with this very worried look on his face came into the courtroom and sat down behind me, almost at counsel table. 最后,这个黑人老伯进来了 一脸担心地坐在我后面 几乎顶到了辩护台
counsel:n.劝告,忠告,建议;法律顾问;律师;vt.提供专业咨询;建议,劝告(做某事)
About 10 minutes later the judge said we would take a break. 十分钟后,法官提议休息一下
And during the break there was a deputy sheriff who was offended that the janitor had come into court. 休息期间,一个副警长觉得清洁工进法庭 有失面子
deputy:n.代理人,代表;adj.副的;代理的; sheriff:n.州长;郡治安官;执行吏; offended:v.得罪;冒犯;犯罪;犯法;(offend的过去分词和过去式)
And this deputy jumped up and he ran over to this older black man. 这个副警长跳起来,向这个老伯冲过去
He said, "Jimmy, what are you doing in this courtroom?" 说:“吉米,你来法庭里干什么?”
And this older black man stood up and he looked at that deputy and he looked at me and he said, "I came into this courtroom to tell this young man, keep your eyes on the prize, hold on." 这个老黑人站起来 看看这个副警长,看看我 他说:“我进来 是想告诉这个年轻人 往前看,往好了看,挺住。”
I've come to TED because I believe that many of you understand that the moral arc of the universe is long, but it bends toward justice. 我今天来TED 是因为我相信这里很多人都明白 这个世界的道德的弧线尽管很长 但是永远向着公正的一边倾斜
moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的;
That we cannot be full evolved human beings until we care about human rights and basic dignity. 在我们开始关心人权和尊严之前 我们无法真正完成进化
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式)
That all of our survival is tied to the survival of everyone. 我们的生存 和每一个人的生存都分不开
survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物;
That our visions of technology and design and entertainment and creativity have to be married with visions of humanity, compassion and justice. 我们在科技和设计上的前景 在娱乐和创造力上的眼光 必须与人性,慈善,和公正的远见 相结合
visions:n.愿景; v.想像;
And more than anything, for those of you who share that, 最重要的是 对于每个执着此见的人
I've simply come to tell you to keep your eyes on the prize, hold on. 我只想和你说 往前看,往好了看,挺住
Thank you very much. 谢谢大家
(Applause) (掌声)
Chris Anderson: So you heard and saw an obvious desire by this audience, this community, to help you on your way and to do something on this issue. 克里斯·安德森:你应该听到看到 这些听众,这个群体 想帮你,想做贡献的意愿了
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
Other than writing a check, what could we do? 除了给你写支票 我们还能做什么?
BS: Well there are opportunities all around us. 布莱恩:有很多机会
If you live in the state of California, for example, there's a referendum coming up this spring where actually there's going to be an effort to redirect some of the money we spend on the politics of punishment . 比如,如果你在加州住 今年春天有个公投 将是个很大的工夫 关于重新分配我们在惩戒人上花的钱
referendum:n.公民投票权;外交官请示书; redirect:vt.使改方向;重新寄送;adj.再直接的;n.再直接询问; punishment:n.惩罚;严厉对待,虐待;
For example, here in California we're going to spend one billion dollars on the death penalty in the next five years -- one billion dollars. 比如,在加州 在未来五年内 我们将花掉一亿美元—— 一亿呀
And yet, 46 percent of all homicide cases don't result in arrest. 同时,百分之四十六的凶杀案 都没有下落
homicide:n.杀人;杀人犯;
56 percent of all rape cases don't result. 百分之五十六的强奸案,查不出来
rape:n.强奸罪;强奸案;v.强奸;强暴;
So there's an opportunity to change that. 这个公投是个改变现状的机会
And this referendum would propose having those dollars go to law enforcement and safety. 这个公投将提出把这些钱 花在执法和保安上
propose:v.建议;提议;求婚;打算; enforcement:n.执行,实施;强制;
And I think that opportunity exists all around us. 我认为这个机会我们能帮忙
CA: There's been this huge decline in crime in America over the last three decades. 克瑞斯:在近三十年 美国的犯罪率有个大下降
decline:v.下降;衰退;减少;谢绝;n.下降;
And part of the narrative of that is sometimes that it's about increased incarceration rates. 有人说部分原因是 和大幅上升的监禁率有关
narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的;
What would you say to someone who believed that? 你对持这个说法的人会怎么讲?
BS: Well actually the violent crime rate has remained relatively stable . 布莱恩:其实犯罪率 几乎没怎么变
violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的; relatively:adv.相当程度上;相当地;相对地; stable:n.马厩;牛棚;adj.稳定的;牢固的;坚定的;vi.被关在马厩;赶入马房;
The great increase in mass incarceration in this country wasn't really in violent crime categories . 这个国家上升的监禁率 并不是在暴力犯罪这一类里的
categories:n.(人或事物的)类别,种类(category的复数)
It was this misguided war on drugs. 而是由毒品的滥用所导致的
misguided:adj.搞错的;v.误入歧途;指导错误;(misguide的过去式和过去分词)
That's where the dramatic increases have come in our prison population. 这才是我们监狱人口 上升的主要原因
And we got carried away with the rhetoric of punishment. 我们在花哨的惩戒上走得有点太远了
rhetoric:n.修辞,修辞学;华丽的词藻;adj.花言巧语的;
And so we have three strikes laws that put people in prison forever for stealing a bicycle, for low-level property crimes, rather than making them give those resources back to the people who they victimized . 同时我们有三击出局的规定 能把一些人永久监禁起来 只是因为偷了辆自行车,或者一点点财物 我们并不给他们机会对受害人 作出补偿
low-level:adj.低水平的;低级别的; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); victimized:vt.使受害;使牺牲;欺骗;
I believe we need to do more to help people who are victimized by crime, not do less. 我相信我们需要给犯罪的人更多帮助 而不是剥夺他们仅有的
And I think our current punishment philosophy does nothing for no one. 我想现今的刑法哲学 对谁也没有利
philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观;
And I think that's the orientation that we have to change. 我认为这个大方向应该改变
(Applause) (掌声)
CA: Bryan, you've struck a massive chord here. 克里斯:布莱恩,你今天震了大家一把
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; chord:n.弦;和弦;
You're an inspiring person. 你真是很个能鼓舞人心的家伙
Thank you so much for coming to TED. Thank you. 非常感谢你来TED。谢谢
(Applause) (掌声)