|
|
BronwynKing_2017X-_你可能在不经意间投资了烟草公司_
|
In 2001, I was a brand new , shiny doctor, planning to save the world. |
2001年,我还是个初出茅庐, 踌躇满志的医生,盘算着拯救世界。 |
brand new:adj.崭新的;最近获得的; shiny:adj.闪亮的;光亮的;反光的;有光泽的;
|
My first job was working for three months on a lung cancer unit. |
我的第一份工作, 是在肺癌部门工作了三个月。 |
cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
|
Nearly all of my patients were smokers or ex-smokers, and most of them had started smoking when they were children or in their early teens . |
几乎所有我的病人都是吸烟者, 或有吸烟历史者, 大多数人在他们还是孩子时 就开始吸烟了。 |
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数) teens:n.十多岁,十几岁;青少年;
|
And despite living in a beautiful, wealthy country, with access to the most sophisticated medicines, nearly every single one of my patients died. |
尽管生活在美丽,富裕的国度, 可以获取到最先进的医药, 但他们当中几乎没有人 逃脱了死亡的命运。 |
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的;
|
Everyone knows tobacco is bad, but when you see the impact firsthand , day-by-day , it leaves a very deep impression . |
每个人都知道吸烟有害, 但是你每天亲眼看到这种影响时, 还是会印象深刻的。 |
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; firsthand:adj.直接的;直接采购的;直接得来的;adv.直接地; day-by-day:adj.每天的; impression:n.印象;影响;效果;感想;
|
Ten years later, I'm a radiation oncologist , fully aware of the suffering caused by tobacco. |
十年前,我是放射肿瘤学家, 非常清楚吸烟造成的痛苦。 |
radiation:n.辐射;放射线;放射疗法; oncologist:n.肿瘤学家;肿瘤医师;
|
I'm sitting at the hospital cafeteria, having my first ever meeting with a representative from my superannuation fund . |
我坐在医院的餐厅,第一次与 我的养老基金代表会面。 |
representative:n.代表; adj.典型的; superannuation:n.(通常由原雇主发的)退休金; fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助;
|
It was thrilling , I'm sure you can imagine. |
实在令人激动,我相信你能想象。 |
thrilling:adj.惊心动魄的; v.使非常兴奋; (thrill的现在分词)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
He tells me I'm in the default option . |
他告诉我,我选择了默认选项。 |
default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行; option:n.选择;可选择的东西;
|
And I said, "Option? Does that mean there are other options ?" |
我说:“选项?还有其它选择?” |
options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
|
He looked at me, rolled his eyes, and said, "Well, there is this one grainy option for people who have a problem with investing in mining, alcohol or tobacco." |
他看了看我,翻了下白眼说, “好吧,这是一个粗略的选项, (尤其)对那些对投资矿山,白酒或 烟草行业有意见的人来说。” |
grainy:adj.粒状的;木纹状的;多粒的;有纹理的; investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词) alcohol:n.酒精;乙醇;含酒精饮料;
|
I said, "Did you just say tobacco?" |
我说:“你刚刚是说烟草?” |
He said, "Yes." |
他答道:“没错。” |
I said, "So, are you telling me I'm currently investing in tobacco?" |
我说:“你是说,我现在 在投资烟草行业?” |
currently:adv.当前;一般地;
|
And he said, "Oh, yes, everyone is." |
他答复道:“没错,每个人都这样。” |
When you invest in a company, you own part of that company. |
当你投资一家公司时, 你就拥有了这个公司的一部分。 |
You want that company to grow and succeed and thrive . |
你想要这个公司成长,成功并繁荣。 |
thrive:v.繁荣;茁壮成长;蓬勃发展;兴旺发达;
|
You want that company to attract new customers, you want that company to sell more of its products. |
你想让公司获取新客户。 你想让公司卖出尽可能多的产品。 |
And when it comes to tobacco, |
说到烟草行业, |
I couldn't think of anything that I wanted less. |
我想不出有任何我想要的东西。 |
Now, I know you can only see one person standing here on this big red dot, on this enormous stage. |
现在,我知道你们只能 看到一个人站在这里, 在这个红色的,巨大的舞台上。 |
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
|
But instead, I would like you to imagine that you're looking at seven million people crammed up here beside me today. |
然而,我想让你们想象一下, 你今天看到的是700万人 紧紧挨在我身旁。 |
crammed:adj.塞满的;挤满的;v.把…塞进;挤满;塞满;(cram的过去分词和过去式)
|
Seven million people across the world have died as a result of tobacco in the past year alone. |
仅在过去一年,全球就有700万人 因为烟草而失去了生命。 |
as a result:结果;
|
Just imagine, if a brand new industry were launched today, and by the end of next June, that industry's products had killed seven million people. |
只需想一想, 假如一个新行业今天成立, 到下年6月底时, 这个行业的产品就会杀死700万人。 |
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词)
|
Would any of us invest in that new, deadly industry? |
我们有人会投资 这个新的致命行业吗? |
deadly:adj.致命的;非常的;死一般的;adv.非常;如死一般地;
|
Tobacco is one of the most pressing global issues of our time, and most of us are far more complicit in the problem than we may realize. |
烟草是我们这个时代 最紧迫的全球议题之一, 我们大部分人涉及到这个问题中的 程度远超我们的想象。 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) complicit:adj.有同谋关系的,串通一气的;
|
So, the super fund representative explained to me that tobacco companies would be found in the international shares portion of my portfolio . |
于是,超级基金代表向我解释, 烟草公司就存在于 我投资的国际股票中。 |
portion:n.部分;(食物的)一份;分担的责任;v.把…分成若干份(或部分); portfolio:n.公文包;文件夹;证券投资组合;部长职务;
|
So I asked him, "Well, which international shares do I have?" |
于是我问他:“我有哪些国际股票?” |
He got back to me two weeks later with this list: my number one holding in international shares was British American Tobacco. |
两周后,他给我提供了一份名单: 我在国际股票中的第一大持股 来自英美烟草。 |
Number two, Imperial Tobacco. |
第二个,帝国烟草。 |
Imperial:adj.帝国的;皇帝的;至高无上的;威严的;n.纸张尺寸;特等品;
|
Number four, Philip Morris. |
第四个:菲利普·莫里斯烟草公司。 |
And number five, the Swedish Match company. |
第四个:瑞典火柴公司。 |
Swedish:adj.瑞典的;瑞典语的;瑞典人的;n.瑞典语;瑞典人;
|
Four of the top five companies were tobacco companies, my investments , an oncologist. |
前5大公司中有4家是烟草公司, 这是我的投资, 一个肿瘤学家的投资。 |
investments:n.[经]投资,投资的财产;投资学;(investment的复数)
|
And then I realized it wasn't just me. |
随后我意识到这样做的不仅仅是我, |
It was all members of my super fund. |
还包括我的超级基金的所有成员。 |
And then I realized it wasn't just my super fund, it was all of them. |
接着我意识到不仅只有我的超级基金, 几乎所有养老基金都是。 |
And then I realized, it wasn't just superannuation funds , it was banks, insurers and fund managers. |
再接着我意识到,不仅养老基金, 银行,保险公司和基金管理者都有。 |
funds:n.[会计]资金,现金(fund的复数);基金;v.资助(fund的三单形式);提供资金; insurers:n.[保险]保险公司;承保人(insurer的复数形式);
|
And then I realized it wasn't just Australia. |
然后我意识到不仅限于澳大利亚。 |
It was the entire global finance sector , completely tangled up with the tobacco industry. |
全球金融行业都是如此, 与烟草业完全纠缠在一起。 |
finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费; sector:n.部门;扇形,扇区;象限仪;函数尺;vt.把…分成扇形; tangled:adj.缠结的; v.使缠结; (tangle的过去分词和过去式)
|
The industry that makes products that kill seven million people every year. |
这个行业的产品 每年导致700万人死亡。 |
So I started discussing the issue with my superannuation fund, and I've been discussing it ever since. |
于是我开始与我的 养老基金团队讨论这个问题, 从那以后我就一直在讨论这个问题。 |
Finance leaders have many challenging issues to deal with, these days. |
今天,金融领导者们有许多 棘手问题需要处理。 |
So I suggest they adopt a framework that clearly articulates why it is reasonable to take a strong position on tobacco. |
所以我建议他们 采用一个框架来清楚说明 为什么投资如此多的烟草公司 是合理的。 |
adopt:v.采取;接受;收养;正式通过; articulates:清楚地表达(articulate的第三人称单数); reasonable:adj.合理的,公道的;通情达理的;
|
I suggest finance leaders ask a suite of three questions of any company in which they might invest our money. |
我建议这些领导者们 用我的钱投资公司时, 先问三个问题。 |
suite:n.套房;一套家具;组曲(由三个或更多相关部分组成);套装软件;
|
Question one: |
问题1: |
Can the product made by the company be used safely? |
公司生产的产品是否可安全使用? |
'"No" is the answer for tobacco companies. |
“不能”,显然是烟草公司的答案。 |
answer for:因…而受罚;对…负责;
|
Zero is the only safe number of cigarettes for a human being. |
对人类而言,无烟草是唯一安全的。 |
It could not be more black and white . |
再没有比这个答案更黑白分明的了。 |
black and white:adj.印刷的;黑白混合的;用笔写的;
|
Question two: |
问题2: |
Is the problem caused by the company so significant on a global level that it is subject to a UN treaty or convention ? |
公司引发的问题在全球是否显着到 需要受联合国条约或公约的约束? |
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; treaty:n.条约,协议;谈判; convention:n.习俗;惯例;协定;常规;
|
'"Yes" is the answer for tobacco. |
对烟草行业,答案是“是的”。 |
Indeed there is a UN tobacco treaty that has been ratified by 180 countries. |
确实有一个联合国烟草条约, 并得到了180个国家的批准。 |
ratified:adj.批准的;vt.批准(ratify的过去式);
|
The treaty was created because of the catastrophic global impact of tobacco. |
条约之所以确立 是因为烟草带来了 灾难性的全球影响。 |
catastrophic:adj.灾难的;悲惨的;灾难性的,毁灭性的;
|
The current forecast is that the world is on track for one billion tobacco-related deaths this century. |
目前的预测是,在本世纪内, 全球将有10亿人死于与 烟草有关的因素。 |
forecast:n.预测;预报;v.预测;预报; track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
|
One billion deaths. |
10亿人死亡。 |
There's only seven billion of us. |
地球上一共才70亿人。 |
Question three relates to the concept of engagement . |
第三个问题,涉及到参与的概念。 |
engagement:n.婚约;约会;交战;诺言;n.参与度;
|
Many financial organizations genuinely want to be good corporate citizens. |
许多金融机构真诚希望 成为优秀企业公民。 |
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构; genuinely:adv.真诚地;诚实地; corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的;
|
They want to use their shareholder power to sit down with companies, engage with them, and encourage them to do better things. |
他们想要使用他们的股东权力 与公司一道,通过参与, 鼓励公司做更好的事情。 |
shareholder:n.股东;股票持有人;
|
So the question is: |
所以问题在于: |
Can engagement with the company be an effective lever for change? |
与公司的接触 是否是改变的有效手段? |
effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; lever:n.杠杆;控制杆;v.用杠杆撬动;把…作为杠杆;
|
'"No" is the answer for tobacco companies. |
对烟草公司来说,答案是否定的。 |
Engagement with the tobacco industry is futile . |
与烟草业的接触是徒劳的。 |
futile:adj.无用的;无效的;没有出息的;琐细的;不重要的;
|
The only acceptable outcome would be if tobacco companies ceased their primary business. |
唯一可以接受的结果是 烟草公司停止他们的主营业务。 |
acceptable:adj.认同的;可接受的;令人满意的; outcome:n.结果,结局;成果; ceased:v.停止(cease的过去式及过去分词形式);中止;中断;
|
In fact, engagement with the tobacco industry has never led to less human death. |
事实上,与烟草行业的接触 从来没有降低死亡数字。 |
When we consider that framework, three simple questions, we can see that is reasonable and defensible to take a strong position and exclude investment in the tobacco industry. |
如果我们考虑这个框架, 三个简单的问题, 我们可以看到, 排除对烟草业的投资 是合理的,站得住脚的。 |
defensible:adj.可防御的;可辩护的;可拥护的; exclude:v.不包括;不放在考虑之列;防止…进入;阻止…参加;
|
In addition to the UN tobacco treaty, there is, in fact, another global treaty that demands that we act on tobacco. |
事实上,除了联合国烟草公约, 还有另一项全球条约 要求我们对烟草采取行动。 |
In addition to:除…之外;
|
In 2015, the UN adopted the Sustainable Development Goals. |
2015年,联合国通过了 《可持续发展目标》。 |
adopted:adj.被收养的;被采用的;v.采用;接受;(adopt的过去式和过去分词); Sustainable Development:可持续发展;
|
Now, we're talking about tobacco, and I know you're going to jump straight to number three: good health and well-being . |
现在,谈到烟草业, 我知道你们都会直奔第三个目标: 健康和幸福。 |
well-being:n.幸福;康乐;
|
And indeed, ramping up tobacco control regulation is essential if we're going to achieve that goal. |
确实,加强烟草控制 对于实现这个目标很关键。 |
ramping:v.敲诈;使有斜面;(ramp的现在分词) regulation:n.规则;法规;控制;规章制度;adj.规定的;必须穿戴的;必须使用的; essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的;
|
However, look a bit more deeply, and you will find that 13 of the 17 goals cannot be achieved unless there is a major shake-up of the tobacco industry. |
然而,更深入一些, 你会发现第13和第17个 目标也无法实现, 除非烟草行业发生了重大的变革。 |
shake-up:n.动摇;剧变;振作;权宜之计;人事改组;
|
Personally , my favorite goal is number 17: partnerships for the goals. |
我个人更青睐第17个目标: 促进目标实现的伙伴关系。 |
Personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言; partnerships:n.伙伴关系;合伙;(partnership的复数)
|
At present, we have the entire global health sector doing everything it can to help the tidal wave of patients suffering as a result of tobacco. |
现今,全球卫生部门 正在尽其所能, 帮助受烟草影响的患者。 |
tidal:adj.潮汐的;潮的,有关潮水的;定时涨落的;
|
But that said, in the past year alone, seven million people have died, so clearly, that is not enough. |
话虽如此,在过去一年, 700万的人还是因此失去了生命。 所以很明显,这还不够。 |
We also have governments aligned on tobacco, 180 of them, busily trying to implement the provisions of the UN tobacco treaty. |
各国政府也对烟草业采取了 共同行动,有180个国家参与其中, 忙着执行联合国烟草条约的规定。 |
aligned:adj.对齐的;均衡的;v.结盟(align的过去式);使成一直线; busily:adv.忙碌地,起劲地; implement:v.实施;执行;贯彻;使生效;n.工具; provisions:n.规定(provision的复数); v.供应补给品;
|
But that, too, is not enough. |
但那也远远不够。 |
If the global finance sector continues to lend money to tobacco companies, to invest in tobacco companies, and to strive to profit from tobacco companies, we are working against each other. |
如果全球金融部门 继续借钱给烟草公司, 投资烟草公司, 从烟草公司中赚取利润, 我们实际上就是在相互对抗。 |
strive:v.力求;斗争;反抗;(strive的第三人称单数) profit:n.利润;利益;v.获利;有益;
|
Now, if we are going to disrupt what doctors call "the global tobacco epidemic ," |
现在,如果我们要打败 医生所说的“全球烟草流行病”, |
disrupt:vt.破坏;使瓦解;使分裂;使中断;使陷于混乱;adj.分裂的,中断的;分散的; epidemic:n.流行病;蔓延;adj.传染病;流行性的;
|
we need every sector of society to stand side by side and be part of the solution . |
我们就需要社会的 每个部门通力合作, 成为解决问题的一部分。 |
side by side:adj.并肩的;并行的; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
|
So I call on finance leaders to implement a framework to deal with sensitive issues. |
所以,我呼吁金融领导者们 执行一个框架来处理这些敏感事项。 |
sensitive:adj.敏感的;感觉的;易受影响的;n.敏感的人;有灵异能力的人;
|
And I call on them to uphold global conventions . |
我同时呼吁他们支持全球公约。 |
uphold:v.支撑;鼓励;赞成;举起; conventions:n.[法]惯例;会议;[计]约定(convention的复数);
|
But in addition, there are business risks. |
但除此之外,还存在商业风险。 |
Pure financial risks, associated with being invested in the tobacco industry over the long term, and I ask finance leaders to consider them. |
纯粹的财务风险, 与长期投资烟草行业 有关, 我呼吁金融领导者们也要考虑这些。 |
associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式) invested:v.投资;投入;(invest的过去分词和过去式)
|
The first risk is that fewer and fewer people will smoke, as a result of increasing tobacco regulation. |
首要风险是,随着烟草管制的增强, 吸烟的人会越来越少。 |
When these warnings were put on cigarette packets in Canada, |
当这些警告被印在 加拿大香烟包装上时, |
[Tobacco can make you impotent] |
【吸烟会导致阳痿】 |
the first response of smokers was to give them right back to the salespeople and say, "Could you please just give me the ones that say they'll kill me?" |
吸烟者的第一反应 是把烟还给销售人员, 并说:“你能不能给我写着 吸烟致命的香烟。” |
response:n.响应;反应;回答; salespeople:n.推销员;[贸易]售货员;店员;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Regulation gets noticed, regulation reduces consumption , and we have 180 countries committed to more regulation. |
管制引起关注,管制减少消费, 我们有180个国家同意增强管制。 |
consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨; committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式)
|
Let's talk about litigation and the risk that presents. |
让我们来谈谈诉讼及其带来的风险。 |
litigation:n.诉讼;起诉;
|
At present, it's the business model of the tobacco industry that is being challenged. |
当今,烟草行业的商业模式 备受挑战。 |
Currently, the tobacco industry externalizes all of the health costs associated with tobacco. |
目前,烟草行业 将所有跟烟草相关的 健康费用都外部化了。 |
externalizes:v.赋与…以形体; (externalize的第三人称单数);
|
Governments pay, communities pay, you pay, I pay. |
政府买单,社区买单,你买单,我买单。 |
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
|
The tobacco industry externalizes all those costs, with an estimated one trillion US dollars per year. |
烟草行业把这些锅甩得干干净净, 据估计每年高达1万亿美元。 |
estimated:adj.估计的;预计的;估算的; trillion:n.[数]万亿;adj.万亿的;num.[数]万亿;
|
Yet they internalize and privatize the profits . |
然而,他们却将利润 内化,私有化。 |
internalize:vt.使(习俗等经吸收同化而)内在化;使藏在心底; privatize:vt.使私有化;使归私有; profits:n.利润; v.获益; (profit的第三人称单数和复数)
|
In 2015, in Quebec province, the courts determined that the tobacco industry was indeed responsible for those health costs, and ordered them to pay 15 billion US dollars. |
2015年,魁北克省, 法院认定烟草业 确实要为这些健康成本买单, 命令他们支付150亿美元。 |
Quebec:n.魁北克(加拿大港市省名); determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式) responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
|
That case is under appeal . |
此案仍在上诉中。 |
appeal:n.上诉;吸引力;申诉;魅力;v.上诉;呼吁;申诉;恳求;
|
But it begs the question, why should any of us, in any country, be paying for the costs of the tobacco industry? |
但它引出了这个问题, 为什么我们所有人,所有国家, 需要为烟草业的代价买单。 |
Let's move on to supply chain and the risk there. |
让我们去看看供应链和其中的风险。 |
supply chain:n.供应链;
|
It is not well known that the tobacco industry significantly relies on child labor. |
不为人所知的是, 烟草业显着依赖童工。 |
well known:adj.著名的;众所周知的;清楚明白的; significantly:adv.意味深长地;值得注目地; relies:信任;
|
In March 2017, the International Labour Organization issued a report which stated: "In tobacco-growing communities, child labor is rampant ." |
2017年3月,国际劳工组织 发布了一份报告称: “在烟草种植的社区, 童工现象十分猖獗。 |
Labour:n.劳动;任务;劳工;vi.努力做(困难的事);干苦力活; issued:v.宣布;公布;发出;将…诉诸法律;(issue的过去分词和过去式) rampant:adj.猖獗的;蔓延的;狂暴的;奔放的;
|
The US Department of Labor currently lists 16 countries that use children to produce tobacco leaf. |
美国劳工部门 现已列出了16个 使用童工生产烟叶的国家。 |
Scrutiny of supply chains is intensifying , and that cannot continue to escape public attention. |
对供应链的审查力度正在增加, 无法继续逃脱公众的视野。 |
Scrutiny:n.详细审查;监视;细看;选票复查; intensifying:v.加紧,加剧;加强;增强(intensify的现在分词);
|
Finally , there is also reputation risk to consider for individuals and organizations that continue to maintain an affiliation with the tobacco industry. |
最后,继续与烟草业 保持关联的个人和组织, 还需要考虑声誉风险。 |
Finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见); affiliation:n.友好关系;加入;联盟;从属关系;
|
In countless surveys , the tobacco industry ranks as the world's least reputable industry. |
在无数的调查中, 烟草业都是世界上 最臭名昭着的行业。 |
countless:adj.无数的;数不尽的; surveys:n.调查(survey的复数); reputable:adj.声誉好的;受尊敬的;卓越的;
|
Let's just look at the impact on children. |
我们来看看对儿童的影响。 |
Globally, every single day, it is estimated that 100,000 children start smoking. |
全球范围内,每一天中, 据估计有10万名儿童开始吸烟。 |
That's enough children to fit inside the Melbourne Cricket Ground. |
这个人数足够站满 墨尔本的板球场了。 |
Melbourne:n.墨尔本(澳大利亚一座城市); Cricket:n.蟋蟀;板球;
|
And most of those children are from the poorest communities on earth. |
这些儿童中的都来自 地球上最贫穷的社区。 |
Here in Australia, the average age that people start smoking is 16 years and two months. |
在澳大利亚,人们开始吸烟的 平均年龄是16岁2个月。 |
They look pretty young to me, but the worst thing here is that while we don't have data from every country on earth, we believe that is the oldest age. |
他们看起来都非常年轻,但更糟的是 我们并没有全球每一个国家的数据, 而我们相信, 这已经算是最大年龄了。 |
Everywhere else is younger. |
其他地方的数字都要更年轻。 |
Now for the good news. |
现在说点好消息。 |
Things are changing. |
事情正在发生变化。 |
The finance sector is coming to the party. |
金融部门正在参与其中。 |
After around 2,000 meetings with finance leaders, primarily in the cafés of Melbourne and Sydney and London and Paris and New York and all across the globe, |
在与金融人士的2000多次会谈后, 主要是在墨尔本和悉尼的咖啡厅里, 以及伦敦,巴黎,纽约和全球各地, |
primarily:adv.首先;主要地,根本上;
|
momentum , moving away from investment in the tobacco industry, is starting to snowball. |
不投资烟草业的势头已经开始 像滚雪一样蔓延开来。 |
momentum:n.势头;[物]动量;动力;冲力;
|
Finance leaders are alarmed when they're presented with the facts, and overwhelmingly , they want to be part of the solution. |
当他们看到事实后,金融领袖警醒了, 大多数人都希望 参与到解决问题中来。 |
overwhelmingly:adv.压倒性地;不可抵抗地;
|
Here, in Australia, we now have 10,636,101 superannuation accounts that are tobacco-free. |
这里,在澳大利亚,我们现在有 10,636,101 个养老账户 不含任何烟草投资。 |
That one is mine, by the way . |
顺便说一下,最后那个1是我的。 |
by the way:顺便说一下;
|
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
There is still a lot of work to be done, but I've watched the conversation go from "Should we go tobacco-free?" |
仍然有很多工作要做, 但我已经看到谈话的内容开始从 “我们不应该投资烟草业吗?” |
to "Why haven't we done it yet?" |
发展到“为什么还没开始做呢?” |
In the past year alone, major tobacco-free moves have been made by leading financial organizations in eight different countries. |
单单在过去一年, 已经有8个国家的主要金融组织 落实了无烟草运动。 |
In Australia, New Zealand , the Netherlands, Sweden, |
它们是澳大利亚、新西兰、荷兰、瑞典, |
Zealand:西兰岛(丹麦最大的岛)
|
Denmark, France, Ireland and the USA. |
丹麦、法国、爱尔兰和美国。 |
By sovereign wealth funds, fund managers, pension funds, banks, insurers and reinsurers. |
包括主权财富基金, 基金经理,养老基金, 银行,保险公司和再保险公司。 |
sovereign:adj.至高无上的; n.君主; wealth:n.财富;大量;富有; pension:n.养老金;退休金;抚恤金;adj.有关退休金的;v.给…养老金[恤金,津贴等];
|
Since tobacco-free portfolios began, more than six billion dollars has been redirected away from investment in the tobacco industry. |
随着无烟组合开始以来, 超过60亿美元的资金 已经从投资烟草业抽离出来。 |
portfolios:n.档案;文件夹(portfolio的复数);证券投资组合; redirected:v.重新使用;改寄;改变投递方向;(redirect的过去分词和过去式)
|
The case study is well and truly proven. |
这个案例研究 已经很好地得到了证明。 |
case study:n.个案研究;专题研究;案例研究;
|
When making the tobacco-free announcement in March this year, the CEO of AMP Capital said, "We are not prepared to deliver investment returns at any cost to society." |
在今年3月份宣告无烟组合声明时, AMP资本的CEO说, “我们不打算在任何 对社会造成损害的行业中 获取投资回报”。 |
And that is the question we need to ask ourselves. |
这个问题我们也需要问问自己。 |
Is there no baseline standard below which we will not sink to make profit? |
我们赚取利润, 有没有一个不能触及的 底线? |
baseline:n.基线;底线; standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的;
|
Along the way, I've had a lot of help and incredible support. |
在这个过程中,我得到了 很多帮助,和难以置信的支持。 |
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
|
Now, if you're trying to do something, |
如果你想尝试做点事情, |
I highly recommend that you have a princess on your team. |
我隆重推荐,你的团队中要有位公主。 |
highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; recommend:v.推荐;介绍;劝告;建议;使受欢迎; princess:n.王妃;(除女王或王后外的)王室女成员;(尤指)公主;王公贵族夫人;
|
Her Royal Highness , Princess Dina Mired , is the global ambassador for this work. |
公主殿下,迪娜公主, 是这个工作的全球大使。 |
Royal Highness:n.(用作王室成员的尊称)殿下; Dina:n.[军][电子]第纳干扰器; Mired:v.陷入困境;处境艰难;陷入泥沼;(mire的过去分词和过去式) ambassador:n.大使;代表;使节;
|
We also have a lord , a knight , a former premier , a former federal minister and a stack of CEOs. |
我们也有一位领主, 一位骑士,一位前总理, 一位前联邦部长和多位首席执行官。 |
lord:n.(英国)贵族,大人,大臣;v.使成贵族;作威作福; knight:n.(中世纪的)骑士;(英国)爵士(其名前冠以Sir);v.封(某人)为爵士; premier:adj.第一的;最初的;n.总理,首相; federal:adj.联邦的;同盟的;联邦政府的;联邦制的;adv.联邦政府地; minister:n.部长;大臣;牧师;vi.执行牧师职务;辅助或伺候某人; stack:n.堆栈;一摞;大量;许多;v.(使)放成整齐的一叠(或一摞,一堆);
|
But the capacity to change things does not rest exclusively with these highly influential people. |
但是,改变事情的能量 并不仅限于这些 具有高度影响力的人。 |
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; exclusively:adv.唯一地;专有地;排外地; influential:adj.有影响的;有势力的;n.有影响力的人物;
|
The power to do that is with all of us. |
我们所有人都有能力做到这点。 |
Everyone here can be part of the solution. |
这里的每个人都可以 成为解决问题的一部分。 |
In fact, everyone here must be part of the solution. |
事实上,这里每个人都必须 成为解决问题的一部分。 |
Most people in this room own companies via their superannuation funds, their banks and their insurers. |
这房间里的多数人都通过 养老金、银行和保险机构 投资了一些公司。 |
via:prep.通过;经由;n.道路;[医]管道;
|
And it is time for us to ask them: |
是时候该问问这些机构: |
Are they investing our money in companies that make products that kill seven million people every year? |
他们有没有把我们的钱 投资到生产的产品 每年会杀死700万人的公司去。 |
It's your money. |
这是你的钱。 |
It's my money, it's our money. |
这是我的钱,这是我们的钱。 |
And that is a very reasonable question. |
这是一个非常合理的问题。 |
Pretty cramped up here, with seven million people beside me today. |
这里非常拥挤, 今天有700万人站在我旁边。 |
cramped:adj.狭小的;拥挤的;密密麻麻的;v.阻碍,阻止;(cramp的过去分词和过去式)
|
But if we don't act now, and act together, we'll need to make way for one billion people before the end of this century. |
如果我们不现在行动,共同行动, 到本世纪末,我们就会让10亿人 白白送死。 |
And this is a very big stage. |
这是个巨大的舞台, |
But there is no more room. |
但是已经没有更多的空间了。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |