|
|
BrittanyYoung_2020F-_越野摩托车和stem如何在巴尔的摩点燃创造力的火花_-
|
[SHAPE YOUR FUTURE] |
[塑造未来] |
I want you to take this journey with me. |
让我带你一起来感受一下这一场景。 |
Let's set the stage. |
我们开始吧。 |
It's a Sunday in Baltimore . |
这是巴尔的摩的一个星期天。 |
There could be kids in the park Druid Hill. |
有孩子们在德鲁伊山公园玩。 |
They're watching dirt bike riders go pass, do tricks, pop wheelies , do stunts , they're zipping. |
他们看到有人在骑越野摩托, 车手们在玩花样, 他们抬起前轮,做特技, 骑车飞奔。[00:26] |
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; Baltimore:n.巴尔的摩(美国一座港市); Druid:n.德鲁伊教团员; dirt bike:n.(尤指用于比赛的)越野摩托车; riders:骑手;附文;扶手(rider的复数); wheelies:n.自行车前轮离地平衡特技; stunts:n.特技表演; v.遏制; (stunt的第三人称单数和复数)
|
If you hear the engines revving , smell the gasoline , you can see the joy and excitement on their face. |
如果你听到他们发动引擎的声音, 闻到汽油味, 你可以从他们脸上看到喜悦和激动。 |
Someone's probably learning how to fix their dirt bike, because the parts are way too expensive to buy. |
有人正在学习怎样修理自己的越野摩托 因为直接换一个摩托配件太贵了。 |
Then they can go to school. |
孩子们回到学校后, |
They can get a pop quiz or a test from a teacher. |
老师给他们布置了一个突击测验, |
revving:n.发动机的旋转;vt.使加速;增加;vi.加快转速;增长; gasoline:n.汽油; excitement:n.兴奋;刺激;令人兴奋的事物; pop quiz:n.(给学生的)突击小测验;
|
You know the kind we all heard and we've all hated. |
我们都知道也都讨厌的那种测试。 |
'"A train that's leaving from New York, goes to Cleveland," |
“一艘火车驶出纽约, 开往克利夫兰,” |
but they're here in Baltimore. |
但这里是巴尔的摩。 |
How does this relate? |
这两个地方和巴尔的摩有什么关系? |
They don't get it. |
孩子们不会这道题。 |
They fail the test and now they can hate school. |
他们没能通过考试, 也更不喜欢学校了。 |
Then their world can be turned upside down . |
接着他们的世界 发生了天翻地覆的变化。 |
They can get on Facebook, on Instagram , get a call or a text. |
他们玩Facebook,看Instagram, 在上面打电话或者聊天。 |
They can watch as their friend can become a hashtag , a kid in the wrong place at the wrong time. |
他们整日浏览社交网站上的话题, 孩子们在错误的时间 出现在了不对的地方。 |
upside down:adj.颠倒的;乱七八糟的; Instagram:照片分享(一款运行在iPhone平台上的应用程序); hashtag:n.标签; in the wrong place:不合适的地方;
|
Lost to the streets, lost to the system or lost to gun violence . |
他们迷失在街头,迷失在系统里 或者说迷失在了枪支暴力中。 |
Or a kid that could be arrested for a dirt bike. |
一个孩子可能因为驾驶越野摩托车 而遭到逮捕。 |
Because in my city it can be a misdemeanor for possession of a dirt bike. |
因为在我所在的城市里 拥有一辆越野摩托可以算轻罪了。 |
This can be a likely story for Black kids across the country. |
这是全国黑人小孩的故事。 |
violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲; misdemeanor:n.轻罪;品行不端; possession:n.拥有;具有;属地;个人财产;
|
In cities like Miami, Cleveland, Atlanta , Philly , whatever place had the dirt bike task force . |
在像迈阿密、克利夫兰、 亚特兰大、费城这样的城市, 到处都有越野摩托的特遣小组。 |
Now ask yourself if the thing you use to relieve your stress, if it was demonized , would you still do it? |
问问你自己, 如果能缓解你焦虑的东西, 受到了官方的排斥, 你还会用它缓解焦虑吗? |
If it was criminalized ? |
如果它被认为是非法的呢? |
The answer is yes. |
答案是肯定的,会用。 |
Atlanta:n.亚特兰大(美国城市); Philly:n.费城(Philadelphia的俗称,美国一座城市); task force:工作小组; relieve:v.减轻;缓解;缓和;接替; demonized:vt.妖魔化;使…成为魔鬼; criminalized:vt.宣告…为犯法行为;判定…为非法事件;
|
That's the reality for Black people across the US right now. |
这就是美国黑人现在所面临的情况。 |
They've watched as we made room in cities for skateboarders , for bicyclists and any other sport. |
只要我们在市内玩滑板,玩自行车 或者玩其他任何运动, 就会被特遣小组盯上。 |
They can watch TV and see it on X Games, the Olympics or ESPN. |
他们可以看电视,在极限运动、奥运会 和娱乐与体育电视台上看到这些运动。 |
The style of riding can be seen in ad campaigns and films. |
在广告和电影上 可以看到人们骑这种车。 |
But in Baltimore, what do they have to look forward to ? |
但在巴尔的摩, 他们还有什么可以期待的? |
skateboarders:n.滑板手;玩滑板的人;(skateboarder的复数) bicyclists:n.骑脚踏车者; look forward to:盼望,期待;
|
What do riders get from all of it? |
摩托车手可以得到什么? |
No space, no outlet , just a typical narrative . |
没有自己的空间,没有发泄的出口, 老生常谈的说法。 |
Like I said, this is a common story. |
就像我说的, 这是一个再普通不过的故事。 |
I was the kid in a park. |
我就是那个在公园里的小孩。 |
I wanted to be just like the big dirt-bike riders, but I hate to fall. |
我也想骑越野摩托, 但我害怕摔倒。 |
Instead, I became like Bill Nye The Science Guy. |
因此,我成为了一个 像比尔·奈那样搞科学的人。[02:18] |
outlet:n.出口;(感情、思想、精力发泄的)出路;表现机会;专营店; typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的;
|
I was doing all kinds of experiments, blowing my eyebrows off, gluing people to the chair, and I may or may not have made stink bombs at school. |
我做过各种各样的实验, 比如把我的眉毛吹掉, 把人粘在椅子上, 我可能还在学校里做臭气弹。 |
They would describe me as another bad kid. |
他们会认为我是一个坏孩子。 |
What they didn't see was all my genius , my talent, my voice was not heard. |
他们却没看到我的才智与天赋, 他们从不会在意我说的东西。 |
Then I became that Black girl from West Baltimore working in STEM . |
之后,我这个来自西巴尔的摩的黑人女孩 |
eyebrows:n.眉;眉毛;(eyebrow的复数) gluing:n.粘合;胶合; stink:n.恶臭;吵闹;争吵;v.有臭味;令人厌恶; describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形; genius:n.天才;天资;才能,本领; STEM:n.花草的茎或梗;高脚酒杯的脚;烟斗柄;词干;v.阻止;封堵;遏止;
|
My first position, I was confused for the secretary. |
我的第一份职位竟然被误认为秘书。 |
I was pissed . |
我非常恼火。 |
But it lit a fire in me. |
但这也点燃了我心里的一个想法。 |
So I want to get more people in the industry. |
我想让更多的人进入这个行业。 |
And in 2013, that's what I started doing. |
我从2013年开始行动。[02:49] |
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式) pissed:adj.烂醉的;怒冲冲的;v.撒尿;(piss的过去分词和过去式)
|
Working in small groups with kids and students, teaching them STEM activities. |
我开始和孩子还有学生组成小组, 我们一起开展科学、技术、 工程和数学方面的活动。 |
Then in 2014, |
在2014年, |
I lost my little brother to the prison system. |
我的弟弟进了监狱。 |
In 2015, I lost all faith in the system, period. |
2015年,我对整个体系 都丧失了希望。 |
The world watched the following of Freddie Gray uprising as Baltimore burned. |
弗雷迪·格雷的死亡 引发了巴尔的摩抗议示威游行。 |
I wondered when were people going to listen, where were the solutions? |
我想知道人们什么时候才会去倾听, 出路在哪儿? |
And where was the investment into my community ? |
我们的社区要怎样获得投资? |
faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰; uprising:n.起义;升起;adj.升起的;v.起义(uprise的ing形式);升起; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
In 2016, I broke the system and became the founder and CEO of B-360, carving out a new lane . |
2016年,我开始冲破这个体制, 成为B-360的创始人和首席执行官, 开辟了一条新道路。 |
I went back to my experience in the park. |
我想到了自己小时候在公园的经历, |
I thought about the kids fixing their bikes. |
想到了当时那群正在修越野摩托的孩子。 |
Those are skills people use to pay the bills, just like mechanics and mechanical engineers. |
他们的手艺是可以赚钱的, 他们就像就像懂机械的工程师一样。 |
founder:vi.失败;沉没;倒塌;变跛;vt.破坏;使摔倒;垮掉;n.创始人;建立者;翻沙工; carving:n.雕刻品;雕刻图案;雕像;雕刻术;v.雕刻;把(熟肉)切成块;(carve的现在分词) lane:n.车道;小巷;泳道;胡同; mechanics:n.机械师;机械修理工;技工;力学;机械学;(mechanic的复数) mechanical:adj.机械的;力学的;呆板的;无意识的;手工操作的;
|
We leaned into STEM. |
让我们结合STEM来看。 |
S -- Science. |
“S”——科学。 |
The science behind popping the best wheelie, pulling your dirt bike at twelve o'clock is a physics equation . |
做出绝佳的后轮滑特技 骑向正前方, 这些动作背后的科学 涉及到物理方程式。 |
T -- Technology . |
“T”——技术。 |
The technology needed to get the best radial tires so you don't have frictional asphalt . |
获得最好的子午线轮胎需要技术, 这可以降低你摔倒擦伤的可能性。[03:44] |
leaned:v.前俯后仰;倾斜;倚靠;使斜靠;(lean的过去分词和过去式) equation:n.方程式,等式;相等;[化学]反应式; Technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; radial:adj.半径的;放射状的;光线的;光线状的;n.射线,光线; frictional:adj.[力]摩擦的;由摩擦而生的; asphalt:n.沥青;柏油;v.以沥青铺;adj.用柏油铺成的;
|
E -- Engineering . |
“E”——工程。 |
The engineering needed to fix or peg a dirt bike, but to also get the best "mac mac" noise. |
修理或者为摩托车加一个脚蹬 需要用到工程学, 想让摩托车发出好听的声音 也需要工程知识。 |
M -- Mathematics . |
“M”——数学。 |
The math needed for the gas to oil ratio so your dirt bike does not explode . |
调和汽油比例需要用到数学知识, 要是比例没调好,很肯能会引起爆炸。 |
Engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词) peg:n.楔子; v.用夹子夹住; Mathematics:n.数学;数学运算; ratio:n.比率;比例;v.用比例方式表达;求出…的比值;使…成比例; explode:v.爆炸;爆裂;勃然(大怒);突然发生(危险);
|
Then I took it a step further. |
然后我想到了其他更远的东西。 |
I thought about the riders. |
我想到了车手们。 |
I knew the only way to have program and solutions was to have them at the table. |
唯一的解决方法就是 让车手们也参与进来。 |
Because the people closest to the problem are the solution . |
解铃还须系铃人。 |
I thought about Mike. |
我想到了麦克。 |
Since he was six, he's been riding dirt bikes. |
他从六岁就开始骑越野摩托。 |
When he was 17, graduating high school, he didn't know what he wanted to do, but he knew he loved everything about dirt bikes. |
17岁时高中毕业 , 他不知道自己可以做什么, 但他知道自己热爱 和越野摩托有关的一切。 |
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
|
He started working with us in B-360, he's helped us educate kids, train dirt bike riders, and at 21 he's our lead instructor . |
他开始来B-360工作, 帮助我们教育小朋友, 训练越野摩托车手, 他21岁就成了B-360的主教员。 |
He's created events, he's traveled across the country and he really represents the best of B-360. |
他想出了各种活动, 也在全国各地参加活动, 他代表着B-360最棒的那群人。 |
At the core of our work is constantly thinking about what people like Mike want. |
我们工作的核心 就是不断地思考像麦克那样的人 他们想要的是什么。 |
instructor:n.指导书;教员;指导者; represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数) core:n.核心;要点;果心;[计]磁心;vt.挖...的核; constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
|
For Mike, he wants a space. |
对于麦克来说,他想要的是一个空间。 |
A space where he can keep working with students on our curriculum , a space where he can keep training more riders and growing their skill sets, a space where he no longer has to escape, but he has something in his own city for him. |
在那里他可以继续 按照教学安排教学生, 在那里他可以继续训练更多的车手, 并提升他们的技能, 在那里他不再需要逃避, 在那里有自己的立足之地。 |
With your support and the support of more cities, we can make this a reality. |
有了你们和其他城市的支持, 我们可以使这成为现实。 |
Since 2017, we've saved the city of Baltimore about 233 million dollars by doing programing for over 7,000 students. |
自2017年以来, 通过为7000多名学生做培训, 我们已经为巴尔的摩市 节省了约2.33亿美元。 |
curriculum:n.课程;总课程; programing:n.程式设计,程序编排;节目制作;v.编写程序;设计程式(program的ing形式);
|
We've saved the city of Baltimore one million dollars by growing work force and opportunities for people just like Mike. |
通过为迈克遭遇相似的人 增加就业机会, 我们已经为巴尔的摩市 节省了100万美元。 |
That's less people that could possibly go to jail , less money spent on dollars and cents of incarceration and more money going back into our Black communities , our leaders, our culture and our voices. |
入狱人数减少了, 用于监狱的支出也相应减少, 更多的钱用到了黑人社区, 用到了我们的领导人身上, 用于传播我们的文化, 使社会听到我们的声音。 |
We don't need your black squares, we don't need your campaigns, but what we do need is your dollars and cents behind us to make real change. |
不需要你们在社交网站上 发黑色方块的帖子, 也不需要任何游行活动, 我们需要的是你们的资金支持, 让这个活动能真正的改变社会。 |
jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱; incarceration:n.监禁;下狱;禁闭; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
|
We need more people like you in cities to believe in investing in us and our model of growing the people. |
我们需要更多像你们一样的人, 相信并投资我们的培养模式。 |
What will you choose to be? |
你选择成为什么? |
An ally ? |
一个盟友? |
Be an impact ? |
一个有影响的人? |
Be the revolution ? |
还是一个能带来一场变革的人?[05:50] |
investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词) ally:n.盟友;同盟国;v.与…结盟 impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
|
B-360. |
来成为B-360的一员吧。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢各位! |