返回首页

BobLangert_2019T-_商業案例:和最难搞的批评者合作_-

Who remembers this infamous Styrofoam container? 谁记得这种恶名昭彰的保丽龙容器?
infamous:adj.声名狼藉的;无耻的;邪恶的;不名誉的; Styrofoam:n.泡沫聚苯乙烯;
(Applause) (掌声)
Well, it sure changed me, it changed my company, and it started a revelatory journey about how adversaries can be your best allies . 它肯定改变了我,改变了我的公司, 它开启了一段竞争对手 可能会是你最佳盟友的领悟之旅。
revelatory:adj.泄露的,启示的; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; adversaries:敌手; allies:n.盟友,支持者:v.与…结盟(ally的第三人称单数和复数)
You know, back in the late '80s, this Big Mac clamshell was the symbol of a garbage crisis . 在八〇年代末期, 这个大麦克的掀盖式餐盒 是垃圾危机的象征。
clamshell:n.蛤壳状挖泥器;蛤壳; symbol:n.象征;符号;标志; garbage:n.垃圾;废物; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
People were really angry. 那时人们都很生气。
For example, thousands of students, young students around the globe were sending letters, blaming McDonald's, because we were using millions of these at that time. 比如,数以千计的学生, 世界各地的年轻学生来信指责麦当劳, 因为当时我们使用了 数百万个这样的盒子。
Now, no one at McDonald's knew anything about environmentally friendly packaging, including me. 麦当劳里没有任何人 懂得何谓环境友善的包装, 连我也不懂。
environmentally friendly:adj.对环境无害的;保护生态环境的;
The last 10 years, 过去十年,
I was in charge of logistics and truck drivers. 我负责 管理物流和卡车司机。
in charge of:负责;主管; logistics:n.[军]后勤;后勤学;物流;
Then out of nowhere , my boss comes to me and says, "Hey, we want you to save this clamshell for the company and lead the effort to reduce waste within McDonald's." 我老板突然来找我,说:「嘿, 我们希望你能为公司 拯救这个掀盖式餐盒事件, 并负责麦当劳内部垃圾的缩减。」
nowhere:v.无处; n.无处; adj.不存在的;
I looked at him and I asked him, "What is polystyrene ?" 我看着他,问他: 「保丽龙是什么?」
polystyrene:n.[高分子]聚苯乙烯;
But it all sounded intriguing to me because it brought me back to my roots. 但,在我听来这些都很有趣, 因为它能带我回到我的初心。
intriguing:adj.有趣的;迷人的;v.引起…的兴趣;策划阴谋;私通;(intrigue的现在分词)
You see, I grew up in the late '60s, early '70s, in a time of huge social upheaval in the United States. 我生长的六〇年代末、七〇年代初, 是美国社会正经历大动荡的时期。
upheaval:n.剧变;隆起;举起; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
And I was really in tune with the protests , the sit-ins , the anti-Vietnam sentiment , and I really went there was a need to question authority . 而我真的还蛮投入抗议、静坐、 反越战的情绪, 且我真觉得需要去质疑权威。
tune:n.曲调;和谐;心情;v.调整;使一致;为…调音;调谐; protests:v.抗议;反对(protest的三单形式);n.抗议(protest的复数); sit-ins:n.静坐抗议;静坐罢工; sentiment:n.感情,情绪;情操;观点;多愁善感; authority:n.权威;权力;当局;
But as I went into university, 但当我上了大学,
I realized that I'm not going to make a living doing this. 我了解到我不能靠这些维生。
make a living:谋生,维持生活;
And that whole movement had subsided , and my activist spirit went dormant . 随着整个运动热度的消退, 我的激进主义精神也进入了休眠期。
subsided:vi.平息;减弱;沉淀;坐下; activist:n.积极分子;激进主义分子; dormant:adj.休眠的;静止的;睡眠状态的;隐匿的;
And I needed to make a living, so I got involved in the business world. 我需要谋生,所以开始接触商界。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
So, now these students against pollution, who were sending those protest letters to McDonald's, they reminded me of myself 20 years ago. 现在,这些反对污染的学生, 寄送那些抗议信给麦当劳的学生们, 他们让我想到二十年前的我。
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式)
They're questioning authority. 他们在质疑权威。
But now, I'm the man. 但现在,我是那个被质疑的对象。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I'm the corporate suit. 我是那唯利是图的商人。
corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的;
I'm the one representing authority. 我代表着当权者。
representing:v.代表;维护…的利益;等于;相当于;(represent的现在分词)
And this new thing was emerging called corporate social responsibility, later corporate sustainability , and now I had a chance to make a difference . 当时还有样新兴的东西, 叫做企業社会责任, 后来叫企業的永续发展, 现在,我有机会改变现况。
emerging:adj.新兴的;v.出现,浮现,露出;暴露;(emerge的现在分词) sustainability:n.持续性;永续性;能维持性; make a difference:有影响,有关系;
So the beginning of this journey started when McDonald's agreed to a partnership with the Environmental Defense Fund . 所以,这趟旅程 始于麦当劳同意 要和环境保卫基金(EDF)合作。
partnership:n.合伙;[经管]合伙企业;合作关系;合伙契约; Fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助;
They were an NGO that was founded with the principle of " sue the bastards ." 它是个非政府组织, 创立的终旨是「告那些浑蛋」。
principle:n.原理,原则;主义,道义;本质,本义;根源,源泉; sue:v.控告;提起诉讼;(尤指在法庭上)提出请求; bastards:n.[动,植]杂种;假冒品;劣货;粗劣的糖;(bastard的复数)
So I'm thinking, what are they thinking about me and my team? 所以,我在想, 他们对我和我的团队有什么看法?
When I first met Richard Denison, he's the senior scientist for EDF, 当我初次和 EDF 的资深科学家 理查?丹尼森见面时,
senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人;
I was very apprehensive . 我非常担心。
apprehensive:adj.忧虑的;不安的;敏悟的;知晓的;
I thought he's a tree-hugger, and I'm thinking he thinks all I care about is the money. 我以为他是名极端环保人士, 我想他应该认为我只在乎钱。
So we wanted the EDF team to give us real-world solutions. 我们希望 EDF 团队 能提供我们实际的解决方案。
real-world:adj.现实生活的;工作的;
So we did the logical thing. 所以我们做了件合乎逻辑的事。
logical:adj.合逻辑的,合理的;逻辑学的;
We had them flip burgers in our restaurants. 我们让他们到我们的餐厅里煎汉堡肉。
flip:n.浏览;空翻;轻抛;捻掷;v.迅速翻动;按(开关);按(按钮);开(或关)(机器等); burgers:n.汉堡包(burger的复数);
So you have to imagine Richard, who, by the way , is a PhD in physics, and there he is, he's trying to dress a quarter-pounder, and you're supposed to have two squirts of ketchup , one mustard , three pickles and an onion, go on to the next one, you've got to be so fast. 各位想像理查这位物理学博士, 试着处理四盎司的牛肉堡, 接着要挤两次蕃茄酱、一次芥末酱、 放上三片酸黄瓜、一片洋葱, 一个接着一个,动作要快。 你们猜怎样?
by the way:顺便说一下; supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) squirts:v.(使)喷射; n.喷射出的液体; (squirt的第三人称单数和复数) ketchup:n.蕃茄酱; mustard:n.芥末;芥菜;深黄色;强烈的兴趣; pickles:n.泡菜;腌菜;菜酱;v.腌渍;(pickle的第三人称单数和复数)
And you know what? He couldn't get it right all day long . 你们猜怎样?
all day long:"allday"的变体;整天;一整天;终日;
And he was frustrated . 他好挫折。
frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词)
And I was so impressed , because he was trying to understand our business. 而我印象深刻, 因为他在试着了解我们的事業。
impressed:adj.印象深刻; v.使钦佩; (impress的过去分词和过去式)
Now, the EDF team, they thought reusables were the holy grail for our business. EDF 的团队认为 可重覆使用的东西,会是 我们事業体要努力追寻的目标。
holy grail:na.圣杯;
Me and my team thought, reusables? 我和我的团队心想, 可重覆使用的东西?
Too much space, they'd make a mess , they would slow us down. 太占空间,会搞得一团乱, 会拖慢我们的速度。
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;
But we didn't reject the idea. 但我们没有排斥这个想法。
reject:v.排斥;拒收;拒绝接受;不予考虑;n.废品;次品;不合格者;被剔除者;
We went to the restaurant they chose outside DC, we went to the back room. 他们选了一间在华盛顿特区外的 餐厅,我们到它后面的厨房。
The dishwasher wasn't working properly, it's spitting out dirty dishes. 洗碗机的运作异常, 洗出来的盘子还是脏的。
dishwasher:n.洗碗工;洗碟机;
The kitchen area is dirty and grimy . 厨房区域很骯脏汙秽。
grimy:adj.肮脏的,污秽的;
And compared to their experience at McDonald's that's clean and organized , they could see the stark difference. 和他们在麦当劳所看到 清洁又整齐的厨房相比, 他们能够看出明显的差别。 他们能够看出明显的差别。
compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式)
We also sat in a restaurant at McDonald's, all day long, and watched the customers eating in. 我们也坐在一间 麦当劳餐厅里一整天, 观察内用的客人。
Their behavior. 他们的行为。
Ends up that many customers left with the food, they left with the beverage . 结果发现许多客人会带着食物离开, 会带着饮料离开。
beverage:n.饮料;
And EDF came to their own conclusion that reusables wouldn't work for us. EDF 自己下了结论, 认为可重覆使用的东西并不适合我们。
conclusion:n.结论;结局;推论;
But they did have a lot of ideas that did work. 但,他们还是有很多可行的点子。
And we never would have thought of them by ourselves, without the EDF team. 若没有 EDF 团队,我们自己 不可能想到那些点子。
My favorite was switching from the white carry-out bag to the brown bag. 我最喜欢的点子是把白色的外带袋子 换成褐色纸袋。
carry-out:n.外卖的食物;
We had been using the white bag. 我们一直在用白色袋子。
It's virgin material, it's made from chlorine bleaching chemicals , and they said, use an unbleached bag, no chemicals. 它是原始材料, 它是用氯漂的化学方式来漂白的, 他们说,要使用未漂白的袋子, 没有化学物质的。
virgin:n.处女;童男;无…经验的人;新手; chlorine:n.[化学]氯(17号化学元素); bleaching:v.(使)变白,漂白,晒白,退色(bleach的现在分词) chemicals:n.化学制品;化学品;(chemical的复数) unbleached:adj.[纺]未漂白的,[纺]原色的;
It's made from recycled content , mostly recycled shipping corrugated boxes. 它是用回收物品做的, 大部分都是回收的运输瓦楞纸盒。
recycled:n.再生纸;回收站;adj.[环境]回收利用的;可循环再造的; content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足; corrugated:adj.波纹的;缩成皱纹的;有瓦楞的;v.(使)起皱纹(corrugate的过去式);
Ends up that the bag is stronger, the fiber is stronger, it didn't cost us more money. 结果发现褐色袋子更耐用, 它的纤维更强韧, 我们的成本也没增加。
fiber:n.纤维;光纤(等于fibre);
It was win-win . 这是双赢的局面。
win-win:adj.双赢的;互利互惠的;
Another idea they had was that we could reduce our napkin by one inch. 他们还有另一个点子, 我们可以把餐巾纸缩小一英吋。
napkin:n.餐巾;餐巾纸;尿布;
And make it from recycled office paper. 并用办公室所回收的纸来制造。
I'm thinking, one inch, no big deal. 我心想,一英吋没什么大不了的。
We did it, it reduced waste by three million pounds a year. 我们做了,结果每年减少了 三百万磅的废弃物。
Sixteen thousand trees saved. 因此拯救了一万六千棵树木。
(Applause) (掌声)
What was really cool is we changed that bright white napkin, because the recycled content became gray and speckled . 很酷的是,我们 换掉了亮白色的餐纸, 因为用回收材质会变成灰色且有斑点。
speckled:adj.有斑点的;如斑点般散布的;v.点缀(speckle的过去式和过去分词);
And we made that look, you know, in tune, in vogue with customers. 我们把餐巾纸的外观做成 符合客人的喜好。
vogue:n.时尚;流行,时髦;adj.时髦的,流行的;
So, I came to really enjoy the time working with the EDF team. 所以,我渐渐开始真的很享受 和 EDF 团队合作的时光。
We had many dinners, late-night discussions, we went to a ball game together. 我们多次共进晚餐且讨论 到深夜, 我们一起去球赛。
late-night:adj.深夜的;午夜的; ball game:n.球类运动;棒球比赛;
We became friends. 我们变成了朋友。
And that's when I learned a life lesson. 那时,我学到了人生的一课。
That these NGO crusaders , they're really no different than me. 这些非政府组织的改革斗士, 他们和我没什么不同。
crusaders:n.十字军;十字军战士(crusader的复数); different than:不同于;
They care, they have passion , we're just not different. 他们在乎,他们有热忱, 我们没有不同。
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
So, we had a six-month partnership that ended up producing a 42-point waste reduction action plan. 我们合作了六个月, 最后规划出四十二点的 废弃物减量行动计画。
reduction:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图;
To reduce, reuse, recycle. 做减量、重覆使用、回收。
We measured it during the decade of the '90s, and over 10 years we reduced 300 million pounds of waste. 我们在九〇年代的那十年 做测量,十年多的时间, 我们减少了三亿磅的废弃物。
measured:adj.缓慢谨慎的; v.测量; (measure的过去分词和过去式)
Now, if you're wondering about that polystyrene clamshell, yeah, we ditched it. 如果各位很纳闷掀盖式 保丽龙盒后来怎么了, 是的,我们摒弃它了。
ditched:v.摆脱;抛弃;丢弃;迫降;(ditch的过去分词和过去式)
And luckily, I still had a job. 幸运的是,我没丢了工作。
And this partnership was so successful that we went on to recycle the idea to work with critics . 而这段合作关系相当成功, 让我们继续秉持着这个 和批评者合作的想法。
critics:n.评论家;批评者;吹毛求疵的人(critic的复数);
Collaborate with them on solutions that could work for society and for business. 和他们合作一起找出对社会和对企業 皆可行的解决方案。
Collaborate:vi.合作;勾结,通敌;
But could this idea of collaborating work with the most contrarian folks? 但,这种合作的点子 遇到最反骨的那群人也行得通吗?
collaborating:v.合作;协作;通敌;勾结敌人;(collaborate的现在分词) contrarian:n.做法与一般大众想法相反的投资人(如买冷门股票); (与其他人)持相反意见者;
And on issues that are, you know, not within our direct control. 而且,合作的议题还是 我们无法直接控制的议题。
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
Like animal rights . 比如动物权利。
animal rights:n.动物权益(指获得善待,如不能猎杀或用于医学研究);
Now, animal rights, obviously they don't want animals used for meat. 关于动物权利,显然他们 不希望动物的肉被当成食材。
McDonald's, probably the biggest purchaser of meat in the food service industry . 麦当劳可能是餐饮服务产業中 最大的肉品购买者。
service industry:na.服务性行业;
So there's a natural conflict there. 所以,这点先天上就存在着矛盾。
conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
But I thought it would be best to go visit and learn from the most vociferous and vigilant critics we had at that time, which were Henry Spira, head of Animal Rights International, and Peter Singer, who wrote the book "Animal Liberation ," 但我认为,最好的做法 是去造访那时最敢发声、警戒心最高的批评者,并向他们学习。 包括国际动物权的 领导者亨利?史皮拉, 还有彼得?辛格, 他是《动物解放》的作者,
vociferous:adj.大声叫的;喊叫的,喧嚷的; vigilant:adj.警惕的;警醒的;注意的;警戒的; Liberation:n.释放,解放;
which is considered the modern treatise about animal rights. 该书被认为是动物权利的现代论着。
treatise:n.论述;论文;专著;
You know, I read Peter's book to prepare, 我读了彼得的书来预作准备,
I tried to get into his mindset , and I have to admit, it was tough, I'm not becoming a vegan , my company wasn't going that way. 我试着了解他的心态, 我必须要承认,那很难, 我没打算变成素食者, 我的公司也没要走那个方向。
mindset:n.心态;倾向;习惯;精神状态; vegan:n.(英)严格的素食主义者;adj.严守素食主义的;
But I really thought we could learn a lot. 但我真心认为我们可以学到很多。
And so I set up a breakfast meeting in New York City. 所以我在纽约市 安排了一场早餐会面。
And I remember sitting down, getting ready, and I decided I'm not going to order my favorite, which is you know, bacon and sausage and eggs. 我还记得,我坐下来做好准备, 我决定我不要点我最爱的食物, 因为我最爱的是培根、香肠、蛋。
bacon:n.咸肉;腌肉;熏猪肉; sausage:香肠,腊肠,
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I'm just going to stick to the pastries . 我还是吃酥皮点心就好。
pastries:n.点心;甜点;酥皮糕点(pastry的复数);
But I have to admit, I was waiting for the adversarial discussion to happen. 但我得承认,我预期 会有一场敌对的讨论。
adversarial:adj.对抗的;对手的,敌手的;
And it never did. 但完全不是如此。
Henry and Peter were just gracious , they were caring, they were smart, they asked good questions. 亨利和彼得很亲切, 他们有爱心、很聪明, 提出很好的问题。
gracious:adj.亲切的;高尚的;和蔼的;雅致的;int.天哪;哎呀;
I told them about how working on animal welfare is very tough for McDonald's because our direct suppliers, they only make meat patties . 我告诉他们,麦当劳 很难致力于动物福利, 因为我们的直接供应商 只是负责做肉饼的。
welfare:n.福祉;(政府给予的)福利; patties:n.小馅饼(patty的复数形式);
The animals are three or four steps removed from our influence . 就供应链的角度来看,我们对于 实质改善动物福利的影响鞭长莫及。
influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变;
And they were very empathetic . 他们非常有同理心。
empathetic:adj.移情作用的;同感的(等于empathic);
And while we were so directly opposed in terms of the missions of our organizations , 虽然我们各自的组织在使命上 是非常直接对立的,
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就; opposed:adj.强烈反对; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的过去分词和过去式) missions:n.任务; v.给…交代任务; (mission的复数) organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
I felt that I had learned a lot. 我仍然觉得我学了很多。
And best of all, they gave me a terrific recommendation . 最棒的是,他们给了我 一个很棒的建议。
terrific:adj.极好的;极其的,非常的;可怕的; recommendation:n.推荐;介绍;提议;正式建议;
And that is, they said, "You should work with Dr. Temple Grandin." 那就是,他们说: 「你们应该和泰普?葛兰汀博士合作。」
Now, I didn't know her at the time. 那时我没听过这个名字。
But I tell you, she's the most renowned expert, then and now, on animal behavior. 但让我告诉各位,不论那时或现在,她都是最知名的动物行为专家。
renowned:adj.著名的;闻名的;有名的;受尊敬的
And she knows how animals move and how they should react in facilities . 她知道动物的一举一动, 及牠们在建物设施中的反应。
react:v.起反应;回应;(对食物等)有不良反应,过敏;起化学反应; facilities:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;(facility的复数)
So I end up meeting her, and she's the very best type of critic, in a sense that she just loves the animals, wants to protect them, but she also understands the reality of the meat business. 我最后去见了她, 她是最棒的那种评论家, 因为她就只是爱动物, 只想要保护牠们, 但她也了解肉品業的现实状况。
in a sense:在某种意义上;
And I'll always remember, I had never been to a slaughterhouse in my life, and so I go with her for my first trip. 我永远不会忘记, 我一生中都没去过屠宰场, 所以我和她去了第一次。
slaughterhouse:n.屠宰场(等于abattoir);屠杀场;
I didn't know what to expect. 我不知道会看到什么。
And we find that the animal handlers have electric prods in their hands, and are basically zapping almost every animal in the facility . 我们发现,处理动物的人手中都会有电击棒, 基本上是用来电击制服 那场内的每一只动物。
handlers:n.操作者;经理人;陶器工人(handler的复数); electric:n.供电;adj.电的;用电的;电动的;发电的; prods:n.触头;支杆触头; basically:adv.主要地,基本上; zapping:n.跳过广告节目;v.击中;消灭;迅速移动(zap的ing形式); facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资;
We're both appalled , she's jumping up and down, you'd have to know her, she's saying, "This can't be, this isn't right, we could use flags, we could use plastic bags, we could redesign the corrals for natural behavior." 我们两人都很震惊, 她甚至跳上跳下, 要知道她,她说: 「不能这样,这样是不对的, 我们可以用旗子、塑胶袋, 我们可因应动物的自然行为 来重新设计适合的畜栏。」
appalled:adj.震惊; v.使大为震惊; (appal的过去分词和过去式) redesign:vt.重新设计;n.重新设计;新设计; corrals:n.畜栏;环形车阵;vt.把…关进畜栏;捕捉;把…布成车阵;
Well I set up Temple with our suppliers to set up standards and guidelines . 我安排泰普和我们的供应商见面, 以设立标准和指导方针。
standards:n.标准,水平,规格(standard的复数) guidelines:n.指导方针;参考;
And ways to measure her ideas of implementing animal welfare. 及衡量她的动物福利点子 是否有效的方法。
implementing:n.实施,执行;实现;v.贯彻,执行(implement的现在分词);
We did this for the next two to five years. 这是我们接下来二到五年的工作。
And it all got integrated , it all got enforced . 后来全都整合起来,也都执行了。
integrated:adj.综合的; v.整合; (integrate的过去式和过去分词) enforced:adj.强迫的;强制性的;v.强制执行;迫使;(enforce的过去分词和过去式)
By the way, two of McDonald's suppliers lost business because they didn't meet our standards. 顺道一提,麦当劳的两间供应商 因为没有达到我们的标准 而丢了我们的生意。
And best of all, all these standards ended up scaling to the entire industry. 最棒的是,所有这些标准 最后被扩大到整个产業。
scaling:n.缩放比例; v.剥落;
And no more zapping of those animals. 那些动物不会再遭到电击。
Now, what about issues that we're blamed for elsewhere ? 那么,我们在别处被责怪的议题呢?
elsewhere:adv.在别处;到别处;
Like deforestation . 比如砍伐森林。
deforestation:n.采伐森林;森林开伐;
You know, on that issue, I always thought, policy makers and government, that's their role. 关于那个议题,我一直认为, 那是政策制订者和政府要做的事。
policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
Never thought it would end up in my lap. 从来没有想过这个议题会到我手上。
But I remember in early April 2006, 但我记得,在 2006 年四月初,
I opened up my Blackberry , and I'm reading about Greenpeace campaigners showing up in the UK by the dozens, dressed as chickens, having breakfast at McDonald's and chaining themselves to the chairs and tables. 我打开我的黑莓机, 读到一些资讯,内容是 关于绿色和平的倡导者 成群出现在英国, 每个人穿扮成一只鸡的模样, 到麦当劳去吃早餐, 然后把自己链在椅子和桌子上。
Blackberry:n.[园艺]黑莓; Greenpeace:n.绿色和平组织(保护动物不遭捕猎等); campaigners:从军者,出征者,竞选者(campaigner的复数);
So they got a lot of attention, including mine. 他们赢得了广大的注意, 包括我的关注。
And I was wondering if the report that they had just released , it was called "Eating Up the Amazon ." 我想了解他们刚发布的那份报告, 标题叫做「吃光亚马逊」。
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) Amazon:亚马逊;古希腊女战士;
And by the way, soy is a key ingredient for chicken feed , and that's the connection to McDonald's. 顺道一提,鸡飼料的主要成份是黄豆, 那就是麦当劳被卷入的原因。
ingredient:n.原料;要素;组成部分;adj.构成组成部分的; chicken feed:家禽饲料;极小额的款项;零钱;
So I called my trusted friends at the World Wildlife Fund, 我打电话给世界自然 基金会中所信赖的朋友,
I called Conservation International, and I soon learned that the Greenpeace report was accurate . 我打给保护国际, 我很快就得知,绿色和平的报告是正确的。
Conservation:n.保存,保持;保护; accurate:adj.精确的;
So I gathered internal support, and I'll always remember, next day, after that campaign, 所以,我获得了内部的支持后, 我永远不会忘记, 隔天,在那活动之后,
internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的;
I called them up, and I said, "We agree with you." 我打电话给他们, 说:「我们认同你们。」
And I said, "How about working together?" 我说:「一起合作如何?」
So three days later, miraculously , four people from McDonald's, four people from Greenpeace, we're meeting in the London Heathrow airport . 三天后, 奇迹发生了,四个麦当劳的人 和四个绿色和平的人 在伦敦希斯洛机场会面。
miraculously:adv.奇迹般地;神奇地;非凡地;出乎意料地; Heathrow:n.希思罗机场(位于英国伦敦); airport:n.机场;航空港;
And I have to say, the first hour was shaky , it wasn't a whole lot of trust in the room. 我必须要说,头一个小时很紧张。 因为对彼此没有太多的信赖感。
shaky:adj.摇晃的;不可靠的;不坚定的;
But it seemed like everything came together, because each of us wanted to save the Amazon. 但,似乎一切渐渐成形, 因为我们每个人都想要拯救亚马逊。
And during our discussions, you couldn't really tell, I don't think, who was from Greenpeace and who was from McDonald's. 在我们的讨论中, 会无法辨别出,我认为无法, 谁是绿色和平的人、谁是麦当劳的人。
So one of the best things we did is we traveled with them for nine days on a trip through the Amazon, on the Greenpeace airplane , on the Greenpeace boat. 我们所做的其中一件最棒的事 就是我们和他们一起走访亚马逊九天, 搭乘绿色和平的飞机, 坐绿色和平的船。
airplane:n.飞机;
And I'll always remember, imagine traveling hundreds of miles west of Manaus, the capital city of the Amazon. 我永远不会忘记, 想像一下,从亚马逊的首都玛瑙斯 向西行数百英里。
And it's so pristine beauty, there's no man-made structures , there's no roads, not one wire, not one house. 那里的美是原始之美, 没有人造的建物,没有道路、 没有电线、没有房子。
pristine:adj.原始的,古时的;纯朴的; man-made:adj.人造的;人工的;合成的; structures:n.结构; v.建造(structure的第三人称单数形式);
You would travel east of Manaus and you would see the blatant rainforest destruction . 如果你从玛瑙斯向东行, 你会看见雨林被明显损毁。
blatant:adj.喧嚣的;公然的;炫耀的;俗丽的; rainforest:n.(热带)雨林; destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
So this very unlikely collaboration produced outstanding results. 所以,这次不太可能的合作
unlikely:adj.不大可能发生的;非心目中的;非想象的;难以相信的; collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌; outstanding:adj.优秀的;杰出的;出色的;v.突出;离港;向海上;停留(outstand的现在分词)
By working together, we recruited over a dozen other retailers and suppliers for the same cause. 透过合作, 我们招募了十多个 其他零售商和供应商, 为同一目标努力。
recruited:v.招聘,雇佣;招募;(recruit的过去分词和过去式) retailers:n.零售商;零售店;(retailer的复数)
And by the way, within three months, a moratorium on these clear-cutting practices was announced by the industry. 顺道一提,三个月内, 業界就宣布暂停这些砍伐作業。
moratorium:n.暂停,中止;[金融]延期偿付; clear-cutting:皆伐(clear-cut的现在分词);
And Greenpeace themselves declared it as a spectacular drop in deforestation and it's been in effect ever since. 绿色和平自己本身也宣布 砍伐森林有明显减少, 且此后便一直都有效果。
spectacular:adj.壮观的;壮丽的;令人惊叹的;n.壮观的场面;精彩的表演;
Now, you think these types of collaborations that I've described would be commonplace today. 各位可能认为我刚才 描述的这几种合作类型, 现今应该是司空见惯的事。
collaborations:n.协作(collaboration的复数); described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式) commonplace:n.老生常谈;司空见惯的事;普通的东西;adj.平凡的;陈腐的;
But they're not. 但并不是。
When organizations are battered , the common response is to deny and push back, put out some sort of lame statement and no progress is made at all. 当组织被打击时, 共同的反应都是否认和反弹, 丢出某种很站不住脚的声明, 完全没有改善、进步。
battered:adj.破旧不堪的;受到重创的;v.连续猛击;殴打;(batter的过去分词和过去式) response:n.响应;反应;回答; deny:v.否定,否认;拒绝给予;拒绝…的要求; lame:adj.瘸的; n.(金属)薄板; v.使残废; statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单;
I say the alternative is really powerful. 我说,这个替代方案真的很强大。
alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择;
I mean, it's not going to fix every problem, and there's more to do for sure, but this idea of working with critics and trying to do more good for society that actually is good for business, believe me, it's possible. 它并不能解决所有的问题, 且肯定还有更多要做的, 但,和批评者合作并试着 为社会做更多好事的这个点子, 其实对企業是有好处的, 相信我,这是有可能的。
But it starts with the idea that you need to assume the best intentions of your critics. 但,从开始就要抱持一个想法: 你必须要假设攻击你的 批评者都是出于好意。
assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现; intentions:n.目的,意向,意图;打算;(intention的复数)
Just like you have the best intentions. 就像你也都是出于好意一样。
And then secondly, you need to look past a lot of these tactics . 接着,第二, 你的目光得放远, 不要被那些策略给影响。
tactics:n.战术:策略:手段:兵法(tactic的复数)
I admit, I did not like a lot of the tactics used on my company. 我承认不喜欢许多 他们用来对付我公司的策略。
But instead, focus on what the truth is, what's the right thing to do, what's the science, what's the facts. 但换个方式,专注于真相、 该做的事、科学,和事实。
And lastly, you know, I would say, give the critics the keys. 最后,我要说, 把钥匙交给批评者。
Show them the back room. 让他们看看后面的实际运作情形。
Bring them there, don't hide the details, because if you want allies and support, you need to be open and transparent . 带他们进去,不要隐瞒细节, 因为如果你想要有盟友和支持, 你就得要开放和透明。
transparent:adj.透明的;显然的;坦率的;易懂的;
Now, whether you're a corporate suit, whether you're a tree-hugger, 不论你是唯利是图的商人, 或者极端的环保人士,
I say the next time you're criticized , reach out, listen, learn. 下次你被批评的时候, 向外伸出手、倾听、学习。
criticized:v.批评;挑剔;指责;评论;评价;(criticize的过去式和过去分词)
You'll become better, your organization will become better, and you might make some good friends along the way. 你会变得更好,你的组织会变得更好, 过程中你可能还会交到好朋友。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)