|
|
BillieJeanKing_2015W-_为女子运动员铺平道_的网球偶像_
|
Billie Jean King: Hi, everyone! |
比利·简·金:嗨,大家好! |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Thanks, Pat . |
谢谢你,帕特。 |
Pat:v.合适; n.拍打; adj.过于简易的; v.(喜爱地)轻拍;
|
Thank you! |
谢谢大家! |
Getting me all wound up, now! |
我都有点热血沸腾了! |
wound:n.创伤,伤口;v.使受伤;受伤,伤害;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Pat Mitchell: Good! |
帕特·米切尔:那很好! |
You know, when I was watching the video again of the match, you must have felt like the fate of the world's women was on every stroke you took. |
你知道吗,当我再次看那场比赛的视频时, 感觉好像全世界妇女的命运 都与你的每一次挥拍联系在了一起。 |
stroke:n.中风;笔画;钟声;抚摩;v.抚摩(动物的毛皮);轻抚;轻挪;轻触;
|
Were you feeling that? |
你是这么想的吗? |
BJK: First of all , Bobby Riggs -- he was the former number one player, he wasn't just some hacker , by the way . |
BJK:首先,博比·里格斯,他是前世界排名第一的选手, 他是有实力的,不靠投机取巧。 |
First of all:adv.首先; Bobby:警察 hacker:n.电脑黑客,企图不法侵入他人电脑系统的人; by the way:顺便说一下;
|
He was one of my heroes and I admired him. |
他是我的偶像之一,我很欣赏他。 |
And that's the reason I beat him, actually, because I respected him. |
所以我才要击败他,因为我很尊重他。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
It's true -- my mom and especially my dad always said: "Respect your opponent , and never underestimate them, ever." |
真的,我父母,尤其是我父亲经常说: “尊重你的对手,永远不要低估他们。” |
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; opponent:n.对手;竞争者;反对者;阻止者;adj.反对的; underestimate:v.低估;看轻;n.低估;
|
And he was correct. He was absolutely correct. |
他说的很对,非常对。 |
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
|
But I knew it was about social change. |
但我也知道这(场比赛)关系到一场社会变革。 |
And I was really nervous whenever we announced it, and I felt like the whole world was on my shoulders. |
当时每次一提到这个我都会非常紧张, 而且我觉得负担很重,压力很大。 |
And I thought, "If I lose, it's going to put women back 50 years, at least." |
当时我想,“如果我输了,妇女的地位会至少后退50年。” |
Title IX had just been passed the year before -- June 23, 1972. |
当时,(教育法修正案)第九条刚刚在1972年6月23日通过。 |
And women's professional tennis -- there were nine of us who signed a one-dollar contract in 1970 -- now remember, the match is in '73. |
而女子职业网球—— 当时我们有9名女子运动员在1970年签了合同,价值1美元—— 请记住,那场比赛是在73年举行的。 |
professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; contract:v.收缩;感染;订约;n.合同;婚约;
|
So we were only in our third year of having a tour where we could actually play, have a place to compete and make a living . |
所以女子职业巡回赛开始才三年, 我们刚刚能打上比赛,能靠比赛来养活自己。 |
compete:v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛(或竞赛); make a living:谋生,维持生活;
|
So there were nine of us that signed that one-dollar contract. |
所以我们9个签了1美元的合同。 |
And our dream was for any girl, born any place in the world -- if she was good enough -- there would be a place for her to compete and for us to make a living. |
我们的梦想是,让每一个姑娘,无论她出生在哪里, 只要她足够优秀, 就能找到自己的舞台,就能养活自己。 |
Because before 1968, we made 14 dollars a day, and we were under the control of organizations . |
因为在1968年之前,我们每天只能挣到14美元, 还被组织管得死死的。 |
under the control of:受控制;置于控制之下; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
|
So we really wanted to break away from that. |
所以我们真的想摆脱这种局面。 |
But we knew it wasn't really about our generation so much; we knew it was about the future generations. |
其实这不光是为了我们这代人, 更多的是为了我们的后代。 |
We do stand on the shoulders of the people that came before us, there is no question. |
我们都是站在前人的肩膀上,毫无疑问。 |
But every generation has the chance to make it better. |
但是每一代人都有机会进步。 |
That was really on my mind. |
我当时有一个想法。 |
I really wanted to start matching the hearts and minds to Title IX. |
我想借(教育法修正案)第九条通过的契机,真正推动男女平等。 |
Title IX, in case anybody doesn't know, which a lot of people probably don't, said that any federal funds given to a high school, college or university, either public or private, had to -- finally -- give equal monies to boys and girls. |
很多人也许不了解这条法案,我来解释一下, 法案规定:拨给高中、学院、大学的联邦(教育)经费, 无论学校是公立的还是私立的, 必须——早就该这样了——公平分配给男生和女生。 |
federal:adj.联邦的;同盟的;联邦政府的;联邦制的;adv.联邦政府地; funds:n.[会计]资金,现金(fund的复数);基金;v.资助(fund的三单形式);提供资金; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; monies:n.货币;金钱(money的复数形式);
|
And that changed everything. |
这条法案改变了一切。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
So you can have a law, but it's changing the hearts and minds to match up with it. |
法律的制定是一回事, 但要真正实现男女平等就是另一回事了。 |
That's when it really rocks, totally. |
当时引起的反响还是非常大的。 |
So that was on my mind. |
于是我就有了这个想法。 |
I wanted to start that change in the hearts and minds. |
我要开始推动实现真正的男女平等。 |
But two things came out of that match. |
那场比赛引出了两件事。 |
For women: self-confidence , empowerment . |
对女人而言:自信和自强。 |
self-confidence:n.自信; empowerment:n.许可,授权;
|
They actually had enough nerve to ask for a raise. |
她们终于有勇气要求平等。 |
nerve:n.神经;勇气;神经质;神经紧张;v.鼓足勇气;振作精神;
|
Some women have waited 10, 15 years to ask. |
一些女人光为了提出这个要求,就等了10年、15年。 |
I said, "More importantly, did you get it?" |
我说,“更重要的是,提出以后,你得到平等了吗?” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And they did! |
她们确实得到了! |
And for the men? |
那对男人而言呢? |
A lot of the men today don't realize it, but if you're in your 50s, 60s or whatever, late 40s, you're the first generation of men of the Women's Movement -- whether you like it or not! |
可能现在的许多男人意识不到, 但是如果你生活在五、六十年代,或者是四十年代末, 那你就是经历了妇女运动的第一代男人, 甭管你喜不喜欢! |
first generation:adj.出生在美国的;原件第一代;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And for the men, what happened for the men, they'd come up to me -- and most times, the men are the ones who have tears in their eyes, it's very interesting. |
对男人而言, 发生了什么呢,他们会来找我, 而且大部分时间,他们的眼里会满含泪水, 很有趣不是吗。 |
come up to:v.达到;等于;
|
They go, "Billie, I was very young when I saw that match, and now I have a daughter. |
他们说,“比利,我看那场比赛的时候还很年轻, 而我现在已经有一个女儿了。 |
And I am so happy I saw that as a young man." |
我很高兴我在年轻的时候看了那场比赛。” |
And one of those young men, at 12 years old, was President Obama. |
而在这些年轻的小伙子们中,就有当年12岁的奥巴马总统。 |
And he actually told me that when I met him, he said: "You don't realize it, but I saw that match at 12. |
这是他自己跟我说的,他说: “你可能不知道,我看那场比赛的时候才12岁。 |
And now I have two daughters, and it has made a difference in how I raise them." |
而我现在已经有两个女儿了, 那场比赛改变了我培养他们的方法。” |
So both men and women got a lot out of it, but different things. |
所以说男性女性都从中收获了不少,虽然各不相同。 |
PM: And now there are generations -- at least one or two -- who have experienced the equality that Title IX and other fights along the way made possible. |
PM:现在至少有一到两代人, 经历了男女平等的时代, 这些都是(教育法修正案)第九条和其他妇女运动带来的。 |
And for women, there are generations who have also experienced teamwork. |
几代女性(运动员)还有了参加集体项目的经历。 |
They got to play team sports in a way they hadn't before. |
这在以前是没有过的。 |
So you had a legacy already built in terms of being an athlete, a legacy of the work you did to lobby for equal pay for women athletes and the Women's Sports Foundation . |
你作为运动员为我们留下了宝贵的财富, 为女性运动员争取平等的报酬, 以及设立“女子运动基金”。 |
legacy:n.遗赠,遗产; lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府); athletes:n.运动员;身强体健的人(athlete的复数形式); Foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立;
|
What now are you looking to accomplish with The Billie Jean King Leadership Initiative ? |
现在你又成立了“比利·简·金领导计划”组织, 你想通过它达到什么目标? |
accomplish:v.完成;实现;达到; Initiative:n.倡议;主动性;积极性;主动权;adj.起始的;
|
BJK: I think it goes back to an epiphany I had at 12. |
BJK:我想这件事能追溯到我12岁那年。 |
epiphany:对事物真谛的顿悟;
|
At 11, I wanted to be the number one tennis player in the world, and a friend had asked me to play and I said, "What's that?" |
11岁的时候我就想成为世界第一的网球运动员, 之前一个朋友叫我一起去打网球我还问,“网球是什么?” |
Tennis was not in my family -- basketball was, other sports. |
我们家没人打网球,我们打篮球,还有别的运动。 |
Fast forward to 12 years old, |
好吧,我们快进到12岁, |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
and I'm finally starting to play in tournaments where you get a ranking at the end of the year. |
我终于开始打锦标赛了, 在年底的时候有一个排名。 |
tournaments:n.比赛(tournament的复数);锦标赛;
|
So I was daydreaming at the Los Angeles Tennis Club, and I started thinking about my sport and how tiny it was, but also that everybody who played wore white shoes, white clothes, played with white balls -- everybody who played was white. |
我当时就梦想自己加入洛杉矶网球俱乐部, 开始思考网球运动,当时网球还很小众, 而且每一个打网球的人都穿白球鞋,白球衣 打的球也是白色的,连打球的人都是白人。 |
daydreaming:v.做白日梦(daydream的ing形式);空想;
|
And I said to myself, at 12 years old, "Where is everyone else?" |
然后我就觉得很奇怪,当时我12岁,“其他人怎么不来打球?” |
And that just kept sticking in my brain. |
这个疑问一直在我脑海中挥之不去。 |
And that moment, |
从那时起, |
I promised myself I'd fight for equal rights and opportunities for boys and girls, men and women, the rest of my life. |
我就发誓要用我的余生为男孩和女孩,为男人和女人 争取平等的权利和机会。o |
And that tennis, if I was fortunate enough to become number one -- and I knew, being a girl, it would be harder to have influence , already at that age -- that I had this platform . |
而网球——如果我足够幸运能成为世界第一的话, 当然我明白,作为一个女孩,要达到那个高度很难, 毕竟我网球启蒙得晚—— 网球可以作为我的平台。 |
fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的; influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变; platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处;
|
And tennis is global . |
网球运动是全球性的。 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
|
And I thought, "You know what? |
我想,“你们看, |
I've been given an opportunity that very few people have had." |
我拥有了一个非常难得的机会。” |
I didn't know if I was going to make it -- this was only 12. |
当然我不知道我最后能不能成功——毕竟我才12岁。 |
I sure wanted it, but making it is a whole other discussion. |
我当然想成功,但是实现起来就是另一回事了。 |
I just remember I promised myself, and I really try to keep my word. |
我对自己做出了承诺,我就会尽全力去实现它。 |
That's who I truly am, just fighting for people. |
这就是我,一个为人民抗争的人。 |
And, unfortunately , women have had less. |
不幸的是,女性拥有的很少。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
|
And we are considered less. |
受到的关注也少。 |
And so my attentions , where did they have to go? |
所以我的注意力都集中在哪里呢? |
attentions:n.注意;注意事项;兴趣;(attention的复数)
|
It was just ... you have to. |
就是……你必须(抗争)。 |
And learn to stick up for yourself, hear your own voice. |
学会相信自己,追随自己的内心。 |
stick up for:维护,支持;为…辩护;
|
You hear the same words keep coming out all the time, and I got really lucky because I had an education. |
这些话你们也许听过很多次, 而我非常幸运能够接受教育。 |
And I think if you can see it you can be it, you know? |
我想如果你能看到目标,就有达成的一天,不是吗? |
If you can see it, you can be it. |
有志者事竟成。 |
You look at Pat, you look at other leaders, you look at these speakers, look at yourself, because everyone -- everyone -- can do something extraordinary . |
你看帕特,看其他的领袖人物, 你看TED的演讲者,看你们自己, 因为每一个人, 无论是谁, 都能做出非凡的成就。 |
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
|
Every single person. |
每一个人。 |
PM: And your story, Billie, has inspired so many women everywhere. |
PM:比利,你的故事鼓舞了全世界的女性。 |
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
|
Now with the Billie Jean King Leadership Initiative, you're taking on an even bigger cause. |
现在有了“比利·简·金领导计划”组织, 你开始从事更大的事业。 |
Because one thing we hear a lot about is women taking their voice, working to find their way into leadership positions. |
有一件事我们经常听到,就是女性开始掌握更多话语权, 努力寻求走上领导岗位的方法。 |
But what you're talking about is even bigger than that. |
然而你做的似乎还要更进一步。 |
It's inclusive leadership. |
你关注的是全面的领导力。 |
inclusive:adj.包括的,包含的;
|
And this is a generation that has grown up thinking more inclusively -- |
现在成长起来的这一代人思考问题更加全面。 |
inclusively:adv.包含地;在内地;
|
BJK: Isn't it great? Look at the technology ! |
BJK:这难道不是很棒吗?看看现在的科技水平! |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
It's amazing how it connects us all! It's about connection. |
它将我们都联系在了一起,多么神奇!它彻底改变了人与人的关系。 |
It's simply amazing what's possible because of it. |
因为科技的发展,一切皆有可能。 |
But the Billie Jean King Leadership Initiative is really about the workforce mostly, and trying to change it, so people can actually go to work and be their authentic selves. |
而“比利·简·金领导计划”组织 关注的主要还是劳动力,并试图对它进行改变, 这样一来人们都可以发挥自己所长,展现最真实的自我。 |
workforce:n.劳动大军;全体员工; authentic:adj.真正的,真实的;可信的;
|
Because most of us have two jobs: |
因为我们大多数人都有两份工作: |
One, to fit in -- I'll give you a perfect example. |
一是融入(圈子)——我这有个很好的例子。 |
An African American woman gets up an hour earlier to go to work, straightens her hair in the bathroom, goes to the bathroom probably four, five, six times a day to keep straightening her hair, to keep making sure she fits in. |
一名非裔美国女性提早一个小时起床上班, 在洗手间里把自己的头发弄直, 她可能一天内要去洗手间四次、五次甚至六次, 确保自己的头发是直的,确保自己能融入(工作圈子)。 |
African American:非洲裔美国人(指美国黑人); straightens:vt.整顿;使…改正;使…挺直;使…好转;vi.变直;好转; straightening:v.(使)变直,变正;挺直,端正(身体)(straighten的现在分词)
|
So she's working two jobs. |
所以说她有两份工作。 |
She's got this other job, whatever that may be, but she's also trying to fit in. |
另一份工作是什么并不重要, 但融入(圈子)是必须的。 |
Or this poor man who kept his diploma -- he went to University of Michigan , but he never would talk about his poverty as a youngster , ever -- just would not mention it. |
有一个可怜的男人,一直保存着自己的毕业证书 他上的是密歇根大学, 但他绝不会提起自己贫穷的少年时代, 绝对守口如瓶。 |
diploma:n.毕业证书,学位证书;公文,文书;奖状;vt.发给…毕业文凭; Michigan:n.密歇根;美国密歇根州; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; youngster:n.年轻人;少年;
|
So he made sure they saw he was well-educated . |
这样他能确保别人看到的是他受过良好的教育。 |
well-educated:adj.受过良好教育的;
|
And then you see a gay guy who has an NFL -- which means American football for all of you out there, it's a big deal , it's very macho -- and he talked about football all the time, because he was gay and he didn't want anybody to know. |
还有一个男同,他在NHL(打球)—— 也就是美式橄榄球(联盟),可能其他国家的观众不了解, 很不简单,这项运动非常有男子气概—— 他无时无刻不在谈论橄榄球, 因为他是同性恋,而他不想让人知道这一点。 |
American football:n.美式足球; a big deal:na.要人;重要的事; macho:n.男子汉;男子气概;adj.(贬)有男子汉气概的;
|
It just goes on and on . |
这样的事层出不穷。 |
on and on:继续不停地;
|
So my wish for everyone is to be able to be their authentic self 24/7, that would be the ultimate . |
所以我希望每一个人都能做最真实的自己, 这是我的终极目标。 |
ultimate:adj.最终的;极限的;根本的;n.终极;根本;基本原则;
|
And we catch ourselves -- I mean, I catch myself to this day . |
我们要接受自己,我一直如此,直到今天。 |
to this day:至今;
|
Even being gay I catch myself, you know, like, |
即使我是同性恋,我也要接受自己, |
(Gasp) |
就像,呃! |
a little uncomfortable, a little surge in my gut , feeling not totally comfortable in my own skin. |
尽管有点难受,就像腹中的阵痛, 觉得浑身不对劲。 |
surge:n.汹涌;大浪,波涛;汹涌澎湃;巨涌;v.汹涌;起大浪,蜂拥而来; gut:n.勇气;肠道;内脏;v.损毁内部;取出…的内脏;adj.非理性的;本能的
|
So, I think you have to ask yourself -- |
我们都应该扪心自问, |
I want people to be themselves, whatever that is, just let it be. |
我希望人人都可以做自己,无论是什么样,都应该接受。 |
PM: And the first research the Leadership Initiative did showed that, that these examples you just used -- that many of us have the problem of being authentic. |
PM:“领导计划”的首个研究结果表明, 正如你刚才举的那几个例子一样, 我们中有很多人不能展现真实的自我。 |
But what you've just looked at is this millennial generation, who have benefited from all these equal opportunities -- which may not be equal but exist everywhere -- |
但您刚刚提到的千禧一代, 他们能享受到平等的机会, 尽管不完全平等,但至少存在, |
millennial:adj.一千年的;千禧年的;
|
BJK: First of all, I'm really lucky. |
BJK:首先,我很幸运。 |
Partnership with Teneo, a strategic company that's amazing. |
我们与Teneo战略咨询公司的合作非常棒。 |
Partnership:n.合伙;[经管]合伙企业;合作关系;合伙契约; strategic:adj.战略上的,战略的;
|
That's really the reason I'm able to do this. |
没有他们就没有“领导力倡议”组织。 |
I've had two times in my life where I've actually had men really behind me with power. |
我一生中有两次, 得到了别人强有力的支持。 |
And that was in the old days with Philip Morris with Virginia Slims , and this is the second time in my entire life. |
(第一次是)“维吉尼亚细长香烟”的菲利普·莫里斯, 然后这是我一生中的第二次。 |
Virginia:adj.弗吉尼亚州的; Slims:n.细腿紧身裤;v.减轻体重(slim的三单形式);
|
And then Deloitte. |
再然后就是与德勤(的合作)。 |
The one thing I wanted was data -- facts. |
数据和事实对我而言非常重要。 |
So Deloitte sent out a survey , and over 4,000 people now have answered, and we're continuing in the workplace . |
于是德勤组织了一次问卷调查, 有超过4000名受访者递交了答案, 我们还在对结果进行分析。 |
survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地; workplace:n.工作场所;车间;
|
And what do the millennials feel? |
千禧一代的内心有哪些感受? |
millennials:n.千禧世代;千禧之子;千禧一代(millennial的复数);
|
Well, they feel a lot, but what they're so fantastic about is -- you know, our generation was like, "Oh, we're going to get representation ." |
当然,他们的感受很多,但其中最了不起的是—— 你知道,咱们这一代人就像,“哦,我们要表达自我。” |
fantastic:奇异的,空想的 representation:n.表现;代表;描述;陈述
|
So if you walk into a room, you see everybody represented . |
如果你走进一间屋子,你会看到每个人都在表达自我。 |
represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词)
|
That's not good enough anymore, which is so good! |
这种方式已经跟不上时代了,这是件好事! |
So the millennials are fantastic; they want connection, engagement . |
所以说千禧一代非常棒,他们渴望联系,渴望交流。 |
engagement:n.婚约;约会;交战;诺言;n.参与度;
|
They just want you to tell us what you're feeling, what you're thinking, and get into the solution . |
他们想知道你的感受,你的想法, 然后找到解决之道。 |
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
|
They're problem-solvers, and of course, you've got the information at your fingertips , compared to when I was growing up. |
他们是问题解决者, 而且,现在他们通过网络获取信息, 这跟我成长的年代已经完全不同了。 |
fingertips:n.指尖;(fingertip的复数) compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
|
PM: What did the research show you about millennials? |
PM:关于千禧一代的研究您得出了什么结论? |
Are they going to make a difference ? |
他们能做出改变吗? |
make a difference:有影响,有关系;
|
Are they going to create a world where there is really an inclusive work force? |
他们能否创造一个兼容并蓄的劳动力环境? |
BJK: Well, in 2025, 75 percent of the global workforce is going to be millennials. |
BJK:到2025年,全球劳动力中的75% 将是千禧一代。 |
I think they are going to help solve problems. |
我觉得他们会有助于解决一些问题。 |
I think they have the wherewithal to do it. |
他们有能力这样做。 |
wherewithal:n.必要的资金(或手段);adv.用什么;conj.用以(等于wherewith);
|
I know they care a lot. |
我知道他们在乎很多事情。 |
They have big ideas and they can make big things happen. |
他们有想法,也有能力做大事。 |
I want to stay in the now with the young people, |
我想跟上年轻人, |
I don't want to get behind . |
不想被甩在后面。 |
get behind:支持;落后;识破;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
PM: I don't think there's any chance! |
PM:我觉得这个太难了! |
But what you found out in the research about millennials is not really the experience that a lot of people have with millennials. |
但我觉得您对千禧一代的看法, 跟很多人的看法不太一样。 |
BJK: No, well, if we want to talk -- OK, I've been doing my little mini-survey. |
BJK:的确,如果我们想谈——好吧,我自己做了一个小的问卷调查。 |
I've been talking to the Boomers , who are their bosses, and I go, "What do you think about the millennials?" |
我跟许多婴儿潮时代出生的人谈过,他们现在是千禧一代的老板,我问, “你们是怎么看千禧一代的?” |
Boomers:n.生育高峰中出生的人;
|
And I'm pretty excited, like it's good, and they get this face -- |
我很兴奋,因为我以为评价会很好, 结果他们的表情是这样的…… |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"Oh, you mean the 'Me' generation?" |
“哦,你是说‘自我’一代吗?” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I say, "Do you really think so? |
我说,“你真的这么认为吗? |
Because I do think they care about the environment and all these things." |
因为我真心觉得他们关心环境 和其他(公益)问题。” |
And they go, "Oh, Billie, they cannot focus." |
他们说,“哦,比利,他们就是关注得太多。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
They actually have proven that the average focus for an 18-year-old is 37 seconds. |
他们甚至证明了, (现在)18岁的人集中注意力的时间平均只有37秒。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
They can't focus. |
他们无法集中注意力。 |
And they don't really care. |
而且他们真的毫不在乎。 |
I just heard a story the other night: a woman owns a gallery and she has these workers. |
有一天晚上我听说了一个故事: 一位女士有一家画廊,手底下有几个员工。 |
gallery:n.画廊;走廊;旁听席;地道;v.在…修建走廊;挖地道;
|
She gets a text from one of the workers, like an intern , she's just starting -- she goes, "Oh, by the way, I'm going to be late because I'm at the hairdresser's." |
她收到一个员工的短信, 是一个实习生,刚刚开始上班,她写的是, “哦,对了,我会晚点到,我还在店里做头发。” |
intern:n.实习医生; v.(战争期间或由于政治原因未经审讯)拘留;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So she arrives, and this boss says, "What's going on?" |
然后她到了,老板问, “发生什么事了吗?” |
And she says, "Oh, I was late, sorry, how's it going?" |
她说,“哦,我迟到了,抱歉,有什么问题吗?” |
She says, "Well, guess what? I'd like you leave, you're finished." |
老板说,“好吧,我想说,你可以走了,你被解雇了。” |
She goes, "OK." |
她说,“行吧。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
No problem! |
无所谓! |
PM: Now Billie, that story -- |
PM:好吧,比利,这个故事…… |
I know, but that's what scares the boomers -- |
是啊,这正是婴儿潮一代所不能接受的, |
I'm just telling you -- so I think it's good for us to share. |
我想说的是,勇于分享是一件好事。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
No, it is good for us to share, because we're our authentic selves and what we're really feeling, so we've got to take it both ways, you know? |
真的,分享是一件好事, 因为我们要做真实的自己,分享自己真实的感受, |
But I have great faith because -- if you've been in sports like I have -- every generation gets better. |
我对此很有信心, 如果你也跟我一样从事网球运动, (你会发现)一代比一代强。 |
faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰;
|
It's a fact. |
这是事实。 |
With the Women's Sports Foundation being the advocates for Title IX still, because we're trying to keep protecting the law, because it's in a tenuous position always, so we really are concerned , and we do a lot of research. |
“女子运动基金”仍然在支持(教育法修正案)第九条, 我们在努力保护这一法律, 因为它的地位很不稳固, 这让我们很担心, 我们做了大量研究工作。 |
advocates:n.拥护者; vt.主张(advocate的第三人称单数); tenuous:adj.纤细的;稀薄的;贫乏的; concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
|
That's very important to us. |
这对我们意义重大。 |
And I want to hear from people. |
我想听听民意。 |
But we really have to protect what Title IX stands for worldwide . |
我们真正要做的,是在全世界保护(教育法修正案)第九条所代表的(群体)。 |
worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地;
|
And you heard President Carter talk about how Title IX is protected. |
你们都听了卡特总统关于保护(教育法修正案)第九条的演讲。 |
And do you know that every single lawsuit that girls, at least in sports, have gone up against -- whatever institutions -- has won? |
你们知不知道,每一件(涉第九条的)案子, 只要是女性提起诉讼——至少在体育界是这样—— 控告某一个机构, 都获胜了。 |
lawsuit:n.诉讼;[法]官司;诉讼案件; institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数)
|
Title IX is there to protect us. |
第九条在保护我们。 |
And it is amazing. |
这非常好。 |
But we still have to get the hearts and minds -- the hearts and minds to match the legislation is huge. |
但我们仍需要争取民心, 要让民众真正从心理上接受这条法律,是一项大工程。 |
legislation:n.立法;法律;
|
PM: So what gets you up every morning? |
PM:究竟是什么给了你动力,让你每天起早贪黑? |
What keeps you sustaining your work, sustaining the fight for equality, extending it, always exploring new areas, trying to find new ways ... ? |
是什么支撑你一直努力工作, 争取平等,扩大(男女平等的)领域, 不断探索新的领域,寻找新的方式? |
sustaining:adj.持续的;支持的;v.维持(sustain的现在分词);支持;承受; extending:v.使伸长;扩大;扩展;延长;(extend的现在分词) exploring:v.探索:考察:探查;(explore的现在分词)
|
BJK: Well, I always drove my parents crazy because I was always the curious one. |
BJK:我好奇心很重,这点一直让我父母很抓狂。 |
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
|
I'm highly motivated . |
我的积极性非常高。 |
highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机;
|
My younger brother was a Major League Baseball player. |
我弟弟是一名美职棒大联盟选手。 |
Major League:adj.第一流的;职业体育总会的;
|
My poor parents did not care if we were any good. |
我俩(成绩)好不好,我可怜的父母真是不关心。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And we drove them crazy because we pushed, we pushed because we wanted to be the best. |
我俩让父母抓狂是因为我们一直非常努力, 我们努力是因为我们想成为最好的。 |
And I think it's because of what I'm hearing today in TED talks. |
我想(我努力工作的)原因就在我今天听到的TED演讲中。 |
I think to listen to these different women, to listen to different people, to listen to President Carter -- 90 years old, by the way, and he we was throwing these figures out that I would never -- |
我觉得听不同的女性发言, 听不同的人发言, 听卡特总统发言,顺便提一句,他已经90岁了, 他对那些数据简直信手捏来,要是我的话, |
I'd have to go, "Excuse me, wait a minute, I need to get a list out of these figures." |
我估计得走下台, “对不起,请等我一会,我要去拿一下数据清单。” |
He was rattling off -- I mean, that's amazing, I'm sorry. |
而他张嘴就来,真是了不起。对不起,说远了。 |
rattling:v.很; adj.格格地响的; v.发出咔嗒咔嗒的声音; (rattle的现在分词)
|
PM: He's an amazing man. |
PM:他的确非常棒。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
BJK: And then you're going to have President Mary Robinson, who's a former president -- |
BJK:然后还有玛丽·罗宾逊总统, 她是爱尔兰前总统…… |
Thank you, Irish! 62 percent! LGBTQ! Yes! |
谢谢,爱尔兰!62%赞成!同性婚姻!太棒了! |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Congress is voting in June on same-sex marriage, so these are things that for some people are very hard to hear. |
(爱尔兰)国会将在6月对同性婚姻进行投票, 这样的事对某些人来说简直难以相信。 |
Congress:n.国会;代表大会;会议;社交; same-sex:adj.同性的;
|
But always remember, every one of us is an individual , a human being with a beating heart, who cares and wants to live their authentic life. |
请永远牢记,我们大家都是独立的个体, 是有血有肉的人, 我们都想活出自我。 |
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
|
OK? You don't have to agree with somebody, but everyone has the opportunity. |
明白吗?你不必人云亦云, 每个人都有机会。 |
I think we all have an obligation to continue to keep moving the needle forward, always. |
我认为我们都有义务 继续推动(平等的)指针向前转动,不要停止。 |
obligation:n.义务;责任;职责;(已承诺的或法律等规定的)义务; needle:n.针;针头;指针;缝针;v.穿过;刺激;拿针缝;拿针穿;
|
And these people have been so inspiring . |
很多人已经受到了不小的鼓舞。 |
inspiring:adj.鼓舞人心的;灌输的;v.鼓舞;激发;使感悟;(inspire的现在分词)
|
Everyone matters. |
每一个人都很重要。 |
And every one of you is an influencer . |
你们每个人都能发挥影响力。 |
influencer:n.影响者;
|
You out there listening, out there in the world, plus the people here -- every single person's an influencer. |
全世界的观众,当然还有现场的听众, 每一个人,都能发挥作用。 |
Never, ever forget that. OK? |
请永远不要忘记这一点。好吗? |
So don't ever give up on yourself. |
永远不要放弃自己。 |
PM: Billie, you have been an inspiration for us. |
PM:比利,你给了我们巨大的鼓舞和启发。 |
BJK: Thanks, Pat! |
BJK:谢谢你,帕特。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Thanks, TED! |
谢谢TED大会! |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Thanks a lot! |
非常感谢! |