返回首页

BillGates_2013S-_老师需要真正的反馈信息_

Everyone needs a coach. 每一个人都需要一位教练。
It doesn't matter whether you're a basketball player, a tennis player, a gymnast or a bridge player. 无论你是篮球运动员, 网球运动员,体操选手 或者是打桥牌的。
gymnast:n.体操运动员;
(Laughter) (笑声)
My bridge coach, Sharon Osberg, says there are more pictures of the back of her head than anyone else's in the world. (Laughter) 我的桥牌教练,Sharon Osberg, 说包含她后脑勺的照片 比世界上其他任何人的都多。(笑声)
Sorry, Sharon. Here you go. 抱歉,Sharon。这张应该可以了。
We all need people who will give us feedback . 我们都需要能给我们反馈信息的人。
feedback:n.反馈;反馈意见;回授;[电子]反馈;
That's how we improve . 这是我们不断自我发展的方式。
improve:v.改进;改善;
Unfortunately , there's one group of people who get almost no systematic feedback to help them do their jobs better, and these people have one of the most important jobs in the world. 遗憾的是,有一群人 几乎收不到系统化的反馈信息 来提高他们的工作效率, 而这一群人 从事着世界上最重要的职业之一。
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地; systematic:adj.系统的;体系的;有系统的;[图情]分类的;一贯的,惯常的;
I'm talking about teachers. 我指的就是老师们。
When Melinda and I learned how little useful feedback most teachers get, we were blown away . 当Melinda和我了解到 大部分老师得到的有用的反馈有多么少时, 我们惊呆了。
blown away:轻轻吹走(歌曲名);零点爆破(电影名);
Until recently , over 98 percent of teachers just got one word of feedback: 直到最近,超过98%的老师 得到的反馈只包含一个词:
recently:adv.最近;新近;
Satisfactory . 满意。
Satisfactory:adj.满意的;符合要求的;赎罪的;
If all my bridge coach ever told me was that I was "satisfactory," 如果我的桥牌教练只跟我说 我的表现“令人满意”,
I would have no hope of ever getting better. 我永远也不可能变得更好。
How would I know who was the best? 我怎么知道谁是最好的?
How would I know what I was doing differently? 我怎么知道什么事我做的和别人不一样?
Today, districts are revamping the way they evaluate teachers, but we still give them almost no feedback that actually helps them improve their practice. 现在,各个校区都在改进 评估教师的方式, 但是我们仍给他们很少能够 提高他们工作水平的反馈信息。
revamping:改进;翻修(revamp的现在分词); evaluate:v.评价;评估;估计;
Our teachers deserve better. 我们的教师应该受到更好的对待。
deserve:vi.应受,应得;
The system we have today isn't fair to them. 今天我们在用的系统对他们不公平。
It's not fair to students, and it's putting America's global leadership at risk. 这系统对学生也不公平, 而且置美国的全球领导地位于水深火热之中。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
So today I want to talk about how we can help all teachers get the tools for improvement they want and deserve. 因此今天我想讲讲我们如何能帮助所有的老师 获得他们想要而且值得获得的提高自己的工具。
improvement:n.改进,改善;
Let's start by asking who's doing well. 我们先来问问谁做得比较好。
Well, unfortunately there's no international ranking tables for teacher feedback systems. 遗憾的是,国际上没有一个用来给评估老师的系统 分等级的标准。
So I looked at the countries whose students perform well academically , and looked at what they're doing to help their teachers improve. 所以我看了看 那些拥有学术表现非常好的学生的国家, 然后看看他们在做什么 来帮助他们的教师提高教学水平。
perform:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好); academically:adv.学术上;学业上;
Consider the rankings for reading proficiency . 我们来看看阅读水平的排名。
rankings:n.排名;排行(ranking的复数); proficiency:n.精通,熟练;
The U.S. isn't number one. 美国并不是第一。
We're not even in the top 10. 我们甚至连前十都没能进入。
We're tied for 15th with Iceland and Poland . 我们和冰岛以及波兰并列排名第15名。
Poland:n.波兰(欧洲国家);
Now, out of all the places that do better than the U.S. in reading, how many of them have a formal system for helping teachers improve? 在阅读水平方面 做得比美国出色的地方中 又有多少个拥有能帮助教师提高自己的 正规流程?
formal:adj.适合正式场合的; n.(美)须穿礼服的社交集会; (口)夜礼服;
Eleven out of 14. 11个。
The U.S. is tied for 15th in reading, but we're 23rd in science and 31st in math. 在阅读方面美国并列第15名, 但在科学与数学方面我们分别排在第23名与第31名。
So there's really only one area where we're near the top, and that's in failing to give our teachers the help they need to develop their skills. 因此我们只有一个方面排名比较靠前, 而那就是无法提供给教师 发展自己所需要的帮助。
Let's look at the best academic performer: the province of Shanghai, China. 我们来看看学业上表现最好的地区: 中国的上海。
at the best:adv.充其量,至多;
Now, they rank number one across the board , in reading, math and science, and one of the keys to Shanghai's incredible success is the way they help teachers keep improving . 他们在阅读,数学以及科学等所有方面 排名都是第一, 而上海能有这种令人惊讶的成功的关键之一就在于 他们帮助教师不断自我发展的方式。
across the board:全面地,整体地; incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; improving:v.改进;改善;(improve的现在分词)
They made sure that younger teachers get a chance to watch master teachers at work. 他们确保年轻的教师 有机会看到资深教师授课。
They have weekly study groups, where teachers get together and talk about what's working. 他们每周都有让老师聚在一起 并讨论哪些教学方法比较有用的学习会。
get together:聚会
They even require each teacher to observe and give feedback to their colleagues . 他们甚至要求每位老师观察 他的同事并给他们反馈信息。
observe:v.观察;看到;庆祝;监视; colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数);
You might ask, why is a system like this so important? 也许你会问,为什么这样的系统那么重要?
It's because there's so much variation in the teaching profession . 这是因为在教师这个职业中 有太多的不同。
variation:n.变异;变体;变奏;变种; profession:n.行业,职业;业内人士;同行;
Some teachers are far more effective than others. 有的教师的教学效率远远超过其他教师。
effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象;
In fact, there are teachers throughout the country who are helping their students make extraordinary gains. 事实上,在全国各地有一些老师 正在帮助他们的学生实现难以想象的巨大进步。
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
If today's average teacher could become as good as those teachers, our students would be blowing away the rest of the world. 如果今天的普通老师 能和那些老师一样好, 我们的学生就可以在全世界独领风骚了。
So we need a system that helps all our teachers be as good as the best. 因此我们需要一个能使我们每一位教师 和最好的教师一样好的系统。
What would that system look like? 这样一个系统会是什么样子的?
Well, to find out, our foundation has been working with 3,000 teachers in districts across the country on a project called Measures of Effective Teaching. 为了查明这个事情,我们的基金会 和全国各个校区 的3000多名老师合作开展了 一个叫“有效教育方式”(MET)的项目。
foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立;
We had observers watch videos of teachers in the classroom and rate how they did on a range of practices. 我们派遣观察员观看 老师在教学中的录像 并且评估他们所做的一系列事情。
observers:n.观察者(observer的复数);
For example, did they ask their students challenging questions? 举例来说,他们有没有问学生 具有挑战性的问题?
Did they find multiple ways to explain an idea? 他们有没有找到多种方式来解释一个概念?
multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数;
We also had students fill out surveys with questions like, "Does your teacher know when the class understands a lesson?" 我们也让学生做包含如 “你的老师是否知道 整个班级听懂了一堂课?”
surveys:n.调查(survey的复数);
'"Do you learn to correct your mistakes?" “你是否学会了改正错误?”等问题的问卷。
And what we found is very exciting. 结果令我们非常惊喜。
First, the teachers who did well on these observations had far better student outcomes . 首先,在这些评测中表现很好的老师 所教出来的学生也更好。
observations:n.观察,观察值;观察结果;(observation的复数形式); outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数)
So it tells us we're asking the right questions. 这说明我们问的问题是对的。
And second, teachers in the program told us that these videos and these surveys from the students were very helpful diagnostic tools, because they pointed to specific places where they can improve. 其次,参与这个项目的老师告诉我们 这些录像以及向学生发放的调查问卷 是非常有用的诊断工具, 因为它们指明了教师们 能够改进的具体环节。
diagnostic:adj.诊断的;特征的;n.诊断法;诊断结论; specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药;
I want to show you what this video component of MET looks like in action. 我想让你们看看MET中的视频部分 是什么样的。
component:n.成分;部件;组成部分;adj.构成的;
(Music) (音乐)
(Video) Sarah Brown Wessling: Good morning everybody. (录像)Sarah Brown Wessling: 大家早上好。
Let's talk about what's going on today. 让我们说说今天干些什么。
To get started, we're doing a peer review day, okay? 首先,今天将会是一个“同学互评日”。
peer review:n.各领域专家互相评阅;同行评审;同业监督小组;同业互查组织;
A peer review day, and our goal by the end of class is for you to be able to determine whether or not you have moves to prove in your essays. 这个“同学互评日”的目的就是在下课前 大家可以好好判断 自己作文是不是经得起推敲。
determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排; whether or not:是否…;
My name is Sarah Brown Wessling. 我的名字是Sarah Brown Wessling。
I am a high school English teacher at Johnston High School in Johnston, Iowa. 我在衣阿华州的Johnston的Johnston高中 担任英语老师。
Turn to somebody next to you. 转向你们身边的一个人。
Tell them what you think I mean when I talk about moves to prove. I've talk about -- 告诉他们你认为我说“经得起推敲”时我是什么意思。我曾说过--
I think that there is a difference for teachers between the abstract of how we see our practice and then the concrete reality of it. 我认为对于老师而言, 我们对我们的表现的抽象看法 和实际情况是有区别的。
abstract:n.摘要; adj.抽象的; vt.摘要; vi.做摘要; concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖
Okay, so I would like you to please bring up your papers. 好的,请你们拿出你们的纸张。
I think what video offers for us is a certain degree of reality. 我认为视频 给我们展现了某种程度的现实。
You can't really dispute what you see on the video, and there is a lot to be learned from that, and there are a lot of ways that we can grow as a profession when we actually get to see this. 你无法对你在视频中看到的表示异议, 你从中能学到很多, 而且当我们看到它时我们看到有很多方式 能让我们的职业水平更上一层楼。
dispute:n.纠纷;争端;争论;辩论;v.争论;争执;辩论;争夺;
I just have a flip camera and a little tripod and invested in this tiny little wide-angle lens . 我只有这个轻按相机和这个小小的三脚架 并再花了一点钱买了这个微小的广角镜。
flip:n.浏览;空翻;轻抛;捻掷;v.迅速翻动;按(开关);按(按钮);开(或关)(机器等); tripod:n.[摄]三脚架;三脚桌; invested:v.投资;投入;(invest的过去分词和过去式) wide-angle lens:n.广角透镜;
At the beginning of class, I just perch it in the back of the classroom. It's not a perfect shot. 在开始上课的时候,我就把 相机放在教室的后面。视角并非完美。
At the beginning of:在…的开始; perch:n.鲈鱼;高处;(鸟的)栖息处;高座;v.栖息;停留;置于(顶上或边上);
It doesn't catch every little thing that's going on. 它没法捕捉到发生的每一件事。
But I can hear the sound. I can see a lot. 但我能听见声音。我能看到很多。
And I'm able to learn a lot from it. 而且我能从中学到很多。
So it really has been a simple but powerful tool in my own reflection . 因此它成了一个用于自我反思的 简单而强大的工具。
reflection:n.反映;沉思;映像;深思;
All right, let's take a look at the long one first, okay? 好的,我们先看看比较长的一段,怎么样?
take a look at:看一看;检查;
Once I'm finished taping, then I put it in my computer, and then I'll scan it and take a peek at it. 一旦录完了,我就把它放到电脑里, 扫描一下然后看一眼。
peek:v.窥视;偷看;探出;n.偷看,窥视;看一眼;
If I don't write things down, I don't remember them. 如果我不把东西写下来我就无法记住它们。
So having the notes is a part of my thinking process , and I discover what I'm seeing as I'm writing. 因此记笔记也是我思考过程中的一部分, 而当我在做记录时我也就发现了我在看的是什么。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
I really have used it for my own personal growth and my own personal reflection on teaching strategy and methodology and classroom management , and just all of those different facets of the classroom. 我把它用于我的个人成长 以及关于教学方式, 教学原则,课堂管理等 各种各样的和课堂有关的方面的个人反思。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略; methodology:n.方法学,方法论; management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段; facets:n.面状,[材]刻面;切面或瓣面(facet的复数形式);
I'm glad that we've actually done the process before so we can kind of compare what works, what doesn't. 我很高兴我们以前做过类似的事情 所以我们能通过比较得出孰优孰劣。
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较;
I think that video exposes so much of what's intrinsic to us as teachers in ways that help us learn and help us understand, and then help our broader communities understand what this complex work is really all about. 我觉得视频揭示了 大量的所对我们老师而言 从根本上帮助我们学习和理解的方式方法, 并且也帮助社会理解 这个复杂的工作究竟是干嘛的。
exposes:v.暴露;;揭露;揭穿;使面临(expose的第三人称单数) intrinsic:adj.本质的,固有的; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
I think it is a way to exemplify and illustrate things that we cannot convey in a lesson plan, things you cannot convey in a standard , things that you cannot even sometimes convey in a book of pedagogy . 我认为这展现了一些事情 他们是我们无法用教学计划, 一个标准, 甚至一个关于教育学的书 来表达的。
exemplify:v.是…的典型(或典范、榜样);举例说明;例证;例示; illustrate:v.解释;加插图于;给(书等)做图表;表明…真实; convey:vt.传达;运输;让与; standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的; pedagogy:n.教育;教育学;教授法;
Alrighty, everybody, have a great weekend. 好了,大家,祝你们周末愉快。
I'll see you later. 下次见。
[Every classroom could look like that] [每一个教室都能像那样]
(Applause) (掌声)
Bill Gates: One day, we'd like every classroom in America to look something like that. 比尔 盖茨:我们希望有一天全美的教室 都可以像这样。
But we still have more work to do. 但我们还有很多事要做。
Diagnosing areas where a teacher needs to improve is only half the battle. 梳理出一位老师在什么地方需要改进 只是战斗的一半。
Diagnosing:n.诊断;v.诊断(diagnose的现在分词);
We also have to give them the tools they need to act on the diagnosis . 我们还要给他们能让他们基于诊断结果 采取措施的工具。
diagnosis:n.诊断;
If you learn that you need to improve the way you teach fractions , you should be able to watch a video of the best person in the world teaching fractions. 如果你知道你要提高自己 教分数的方式, 你应该可以看一段 世上最好的人教分数的视频。
fractions:n.[数]分数;小部分,片段(fraction的复数);
So building this complete teacher feedback and improvement system won't be easy. 所以说建立一个完整的能给予老师 反馈信息以及自我发展手段的系统不会简单。
For example, I know some teachers aren't immediately comfortable with the idea of a camera in the classroom. 比如说,我知道一些老师 对于在教室中放一个摄像机这样的想法 感到不舒适。
That's understandable , but our experience with MET suggests that if teachers manage the process, if they collect video in their own classrooms, and they pick the lessons they want to submit , a lot of them will be eager to participate . 这是可以理解的,但是我们在MET中的经验 说明了如果老师们能忍受这一个过程, 如果他们在教室中录制视频, 然后选择他们想提交的视频, 很多老师会踊跃参与。
understandable:adj.可以理解的;可以了解的; submit:vt.使服从;主张;呈递;vi.提交;服从; participate:v.参加;参与;
Building this system will also require a considerable investment . 建立这样一个体系也会需要 大量的投资。
considerable:adj.相当大的;重要的,值得考虑的; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
Our foundation estimates that it could cost up to five billion dollars. 我们的基金会估计会花费 多至50亿美元。
estimates:n.估计;估价;估计的成本;v.估价;估算(estimate的第三人称单数和复数)
Now that's a big number, but to put it in perspective , it's less than two percent of what we spend every year on teacher salaries. 这是一个庞大的数字,但如果我们换一个视角来看, 这比我们每年付给老师的工资 的2%还要少。
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
The impact for teachers would be phenomenal . 这样一个系统对于老师的影响是无法估量的。
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; phenomenal:adj.现象的;显著的;异常的;能知觉的;惊人的,非凡的;
We would finally have a way to give them feedback, as well as the means to act on it. 我们终于会有一个能给他们反馈信息, 并让他们照此采取措施的方式。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
But this system would have an even more important benefit for our country. 但是这样一个系统对我们国家 的好处会更大。
It would put us on a path to making sure all our students get a great education, find a career that's fulfilling and rewarding , and have a chance to live out their dreams. 它会让我们走上一条能确保 我们的学生能收到良好教育, 找到一份报酬丰厚而且令人满意的事业, 并且让他们有机会实现自己的梦想的道路。
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; fulfilling:adj.让人感觉有意义的; v.实现; (fulfill的现在分词) rewarding:adj.有益的;值得做的;报酬高的;v.奖励;奖赏;给以报酬;(reward的现在分词)
This wouldn't just make us a more successful country. 这不仅会使我们的国家更成功。
It would also make us a more fair and just one, too. 这也会使我们的国家更充满公平与正义。
I'm excited about the opportunity to give all our teachers the support they want and deserve. 我为能给老师们 他们想要且应得的支援的机会感到欣喜。
I hope you are too. 我希望大家也是。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)