返回首页

BillGates_2009-_比尔盖兹隐退_

I wrote a letter last week talking about the work of the foundation , sharing some of the problems. 上周我写了一封信,讨论基金会的工作事宜 也分享了一些问题
foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立;
And Warren Buffet had recommended I do that -- being honest about what was going well, what wasn't, and making it kind of an annual thing. Warren Buffet 建议我 直言不讳的评价他们工作中好的或不足的地方 并且把这种讨论作成年会的形式
Warren:n.养兔场;大杂院;拥挤的地区; Buffet:n.自助餐; vt.对…打来打去; adj.快餐式的 recommended:v.推荐;举荐;介绍;劝告;建议;(recommend的过去分词和过去式) annual:n.年报;年鉴;年刊;adj.每年的;年度的;一年的;
A goal I had there was to draw more people in to work on those problems, because I think there are some very important problems that don't get worked on naturally . 我也期望能吸引更多人参与到解决这些问题的工作中来 因为我认为这些问题都是非常重要的 而且离不开大家的共同参与
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地;
That is, the market does not drive the scientists, the communicators , the thinkers, the governments to do the right things. 换句话说,市场不能指导科学家、 交际家、思想家和官员们 去做正确的事情
communicators:n.交流者;通讯器(communicator的复数);
And only by paying attention to these things and having brilliant people who care and draw other people in can we make as much progress as we need to. 只有关注这些事情 有关心此事的英才,和不断加入到这一队伍的人们 我们真的能够取得我们所期望的进展吗?
So this morning I'm going to share two of these problems and talk about where they stand. 这个早晨我将与大家分享其中两个问题 并讨论他们的现状
But before I dive into those I want to admit that I am an optimist . 但在我开始前,我要声明我是个乐天派
dive:n.潜水;跳水;俯冲;猛冲;v.猛冲;(头朝下)跳入水中;[体]跳水(运动); optimist:n.乐观主义者;乐天派;
Any tough problem, I think it can be solved. 我相信任何棘手的问题都是可以解决的
And part of the reason I feel that way is looking at the past. 这个论点有一部分来源于对历史的回顾
Over the past century, average lifespan has more than doubled. 在过去的一个世纪里,人们的平均寿命翻了一倍多。
lifespan:n.寿命;预期生命期限;预期使用期限;
Another statistic , perhaps my favorite, is to look at childhood deaths. 另外的一个统计 (大概是我最喜欢的) 儿童死亡的数据
statistic:n.统计学;统计数字;统计资料;(一项)统计数据;adj.统计(上)的; childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
As recently as 1960, 110 million children were born, and 20 million of those died before the age of five. 近至1960年,那一年总共有1.1亿儿童出生 其中2千万儿童还未满5岁就夭折了
recently:adv.最近;新近;
Five years ago, 135 million children were born -- so, more -- and less than 10 million of them died before the age of five. 五年前,有1.35亿儿童出生,比过去更多 然而5岁前夭折的儿童不到1千万
So that's a factor of two reduction of the childhood death rate . 从这2点我们可以看到儿童死亡率的降低
factor:n.因素;要素;[物]因数;代理人;v.做代理商;v.把…作为因素计入; reduction:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图; death rate:n.死亡率;
It's a phenomenal thing. 这只是个表面的现象
phenomenal:adj.现象的;显著的;异常的;能知觉的;惊人的,非凡的;
Each one of those lives matters a lot. 任何一个被挽救的生命都颇具意义
And the key reason we were able to it was not only rising incomes but also a few key breakthroughs : 这其中的关键因素不仅是收入的提高 同时还有核心的技术突破
breakthroughs:突破;
Vaccines that were used more widely. 就是我们使用疫苗的范围更广了
Vaccines:n.[药][计]疫苗;
For example, measles was four million of the deaths back as recently as 1990 and now is under 400,000. 例如,在不远的1990年就有400万人 因为感染麻疹而死亡 今天这个数字减少到40万
measles:n.[内科]麻疹;风疹;
So we really can make changes. 所以我们真的能实现更多的改变
The next breakthrough is to cut that 10 million in half again. 下一次突破会把1千万夭折的儿童数量再减半
And I think that's doable in well under 20 years. 我认为那是在以后不到20年所要打的持久战
doable:adj.可做的;
Why? Well there's only a few diseases that account for the vast majority of those deaths: diarrhea , pneumonia and malaria . 为什么?因为仅有少数几种疾病 是导致那些儿童夭折的主要病因 腹泻,肺炎和疟疾
diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类; account for:对…负有责任;对…做出解释;说明…的原因;导致;(比例)占; majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人: diarrhea:n.腹泻,痢疾; pneumonia:n.肺炎; malaria:n.[内科]疟疾;瘴气;
So that brings us to the first problem that I'll raise this morning, which is how do we stop a deadly disease that's spread by mosquitoes ? 这就引出我今天早上要讲的第一个问题 我们如何阻断由蚊子传播的致命疾病?
deadly:adj.致命的;非常的;死一般的;adv.非常;如死一般地; mosquitoes:n.蚊子(mosquito的复数);
Well, what's the history of this disease? 这种疾病的历史是怎样的呢?
It's been a severe disease for thousands of years. 作为一种重疾,它已经存在上千年了
severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的;
In fact, if we look at the genetic code , it's the only disease we can see that people who lived in Africa actually evolved several things to avoid malarial deaths. 事实上,如果我们看一下遗传基因 它是唯一引起基因改变的疾病 住在非洲的人们 为避免疟疾导致的死亡,已出现几种基因的进化
genetic code:n.遗传密码; evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式) malarial:adj.患疟疾的;毒气的;
Deaths actually peaked at a bit over five million in the 1930s. 20世纪30年代,死亡率最高时曾超过5百万
peaked:adj.尖的; v.到达高点,消瘦,竖起(peak的过去式和过去分词形式);
So it was absolutely gigantic . 真的是一个很大的数字
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; gigantic:adj.巨大的,庞大的;
And the disease was all over the world. 此病遍布全球
A terrible disease. It was in the United States. It was in Europe. 这个可怕的疾病,一直存在于美国和欧洲
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
People didn't know what caused it until the early 1900s, when a British military man figured out that it was mosquitoes. 但20世纪之前,没有人知道它的病因 直到一个英国士兵发现了蚊子才是元凶
military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人;
So it was everywhere. 所以它无处不在
And two tools helped bring the death rate down. 有2样工具能帮助降低死亡率
One was killing the mosquitoes with DDT. 一个是用DDT消灭蚊子
The other was treating the patients with quinine , or quinine derivatives . 另一个是用奎宁或者类奎宁来治疗患者
treating:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;处理;讨论;(treat的现在分词) patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数) quinine:n.奎宁;金鸡纳碱; derivatives:派生物;
And so that's why the death rate did come down. 这就是死亡率下降的原因
Now, ironically , what happened was, it was eliminated from all the temperate zones, which is where the rich countries are. 讽刺的是,在温带地区 疟疾已被消灭 那些都是富国
ironically:adv.讽刺地;说反话地; eliminated:v.排除;清除;消除;(比赛中)淘汰;消灭;(eliminate的过去式和过去分词) temperate:adj.温和的;适度的;有节制的;
So we can see: 1900, it's everywhere. 1900年全世界都受疟疾的困扰
1945, it's still most places. 1945年,它仍肆虐大多数地方
1970, the U.S. and most of Europe have gotten rid of it. 1970年,美国和大部分欧洲已经摆脱了疟疾
1990, you've gotten most of the northern areas. 1990年北半球大部分都已安全了
And more recently you can see it's just around the equator. 今天大家看到疟疾仅存在于赤道附近
And so this leads to the paradox that because the disease is only in the poorer countries, it doesn't get much investment . 这个结果可以导出一项悖论 由于疟疾仅困扰穷国 所以它得不到像样的投资
paradox:n.悖论,反论;似非而是的论点;自相矛盾的人或事; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
For example, there's more money put into baldness drugs than are put into malaria. 比方说,治疗脱发的药物的研发资金 就要超过疟疾
baldness:n.光秃;率直;枯燥;
Now, baldness, it's a terrible thing. 当然,脱发很可怕
(Laughter) (笑声)
And rich men are afflicted . 富人们倍受折磨
afflicted:v.折磨;使痛苦;(afflict的过去式和过去分词)
And so that's why that priority has been set. 这就是疟疾被撂在一边的原因
priority:n.优先;优先权;[数]优先次序;优先考虑的事;
But, malaria -- even the million deaths a year caused by malaria greatly understate its impact . 但是,疟疾这个 每年夺走上百万生命的疾病 其影响还不止这些
greatly:adv.很,大大地;非常; understate:vt.少说,少报;保守地说;有意轻描淡写;vi.保守地说;有意轻描淡写; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
Over 200 million people at any one time are suffering from it. 超过2亿人每时每刻都在被疟疾困扰着
It means that you can't get the economies in these areas going because it just holds things back so much. 所以在疟疾流行区域,经济不可能得到发展 它实在太碍事了
economies:n.经济;经济结构;节约;(economy的复数)
Now, malaria is of course transmitted by mosquitoes. 当然,疟疾是由蚊子传播的
transmitted:v.传送;输送;发射;播送;传播;传染;(transmit的过去分词和过去式)
I brought some here, just so you could experience this. 我带了一些到现场,就是希望大家也体验一下子
We'll let those roam around the auditorium a little bit. 在会场里面也可以听一下它们的嗡嗡声
roam:vi.漫游,漫步;流浪;vt.在…漫步,漫游;在…流浪;n.漫步,漫游;流浪; auditorium:n.礼堂,会堂;观众席;
There's no reason only poor people should have the experience. 没有理由只让穷人们体验这种感觉
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Laughter) (Applause) (笑声,掌声)
Those mosquitoes are not infected . 放心,这些蚊子没有疟疾
infected:adj.带菌的; v.传染; (infect的过去分词和过去式)
So we've come up with a few new things. We've got bed nets. 我们已经有一些新办法,比如蚊帐
come up with:提出;想出;赶上;
And bed nets are a great tool. 蚊帐很好用
What it means is the mother and child stay under the bed net at night, so the mosquitoes that bite late at night can't get at them. 母亲和孩子可以晚上呆在蚊帐里 那么晚上叮人的蚊子就没辙了
And when you use indoor spraying with DDT and those nets you can cut deaths by over 50 percent. 如果加上室内喷洒DDT 和蚊帐一起用 死亡率可以降低超过一半
indoor:adj.(在)室内的;在户内进行的;在室内用的; spraying:v.喷;喷洒;向…扫射(或抛洒);撒尿(以示领地占有);(spray的现在分词)
And that's happened now in a number of countries. 有几个国家已经做到了
It's great to see. 真是太棒了
But we have to be careful because malaria -- the parasite evolves and the mosquito evolves. 但我们仍然要小心对付疟疾 因为寄生虫和蚊子都会进化
parasite:n.寄生虫;食客; evolves:v.进化,进展(evolve的第三人称单数形式);
So every tool that we've ever had in the past has eventually become ineffective . 我们过去对付疟疾的各类工具后来都失效了
eventually:adv.最后,终于; ineffective:adj.无效的,失效的;不起作用的;
And so you end up with two choices. 最后你只有2个选择
If you go into a country with the right tools and the right way, you do it vigorously , you can actually get a local eradication . 如果你带着正确的工具和正确的方法去到一个国家 并激情满怀的去工作 你可以做到局部的根除
vigorously:adv.精神旺盛地,活泼地; eradication:n.消灭,扑灭;根除;
And that's where we saw the malaria map shrinking . 也就是疟疾流行地图在缩小的地方
shrinking:v.(使)缩水,收缩,缩小,退缩;(shrink的现在分词)
Or, if you go in kind of half-heartedly , for a period of time you'll reduce the disease burden , but eventually those tools will become ineffective, and the death rate will soar back up again. 或者,如果你是半推半就的去工作的 一段时间内你可以降低人们的疾病负担 但最终那些工具会失效 而死亡率将会再次暴增
half-heartedly:半心半意地; burden:n.负担;责任;船的载货量;v.使负担;烦扰;装货于; soar:v.翱翔;高飞;猛增;高耸;n.翱翔;上升高度;高飞范围;
And the world has gone through this where it paid attention and then didn't pay attention. 这2种结局都曾在世界上真实地发生过
Now we're on the upswing . 现在我们在上升期
upswing:n.上升;增加;向上摆动;vi.提高;回升;向上摆动;
Bed net funding is up. 蚊帐的资助在增多
funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词)
There's new drug discovery going on. 新药研发正在进行中
Our foundation has backed a vaccine that's going into phase three trial that starts in a couple months. 我们的基金会支持了一项已进入3期试验的疫苗 2个月内就将开始应用
phase:n.阶段;时期;月相;(月亮的)盈亏;v.分阶段进行;逐步做;
And that should save over two thirds of the lives if it's effective. 如果有效的话这将能挽救超过2/3的生命
So we're going to have these new tools. 所以我们即将拥有这些新的工具
But that alone doesn't give us the road map. 但这些还不足以给出明确的路线图
Because the road map to get rid of this disease involves many things. 通向消灭疟疾之路的地图 包含很多东西
involves:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加,加入(involve的第三人称单数)
It involves communicators to keep the funding high, to keep the visibility high, to tell the success stories. 需要交际家们来确保充足的投资 达到很高的透明度 并协助传播成功的故事
visibility:n.可见性;能见度;能见距离
It involves social scientists, so we know how to get not just 70 percent of the people to use the bed nets, but 90 percent. 还需要社会科学家 协助我们去指导90%的人使用蚊帐 而不是70%
We need mathematicians to come in and simulate this, to do Monte Carlo things to understand how these tools combine and work together. 我们需要数学家来帮助建立虚拟模型 比如 Monte Carlo,让我们更好的理解各种工具如何相互配合与发挥作用
mathematicians:n.[数]数学家(mathematician的复数形式); simulate:vt.模仿;假装;冒充;adj.模仿的;假装的; Monte:n.始于西班牙的纸牌赌博游戏;
Of course we need drug companies to give us their expertise . 当然我们需要制药厂的专业协助
expertise:n.专门知识;专门技术;专家的意见;
We need rich-world governments to be very generous in providing aid for these things. 我们需要富国的政府能慷慨的资助这些事情
generous:adj.慷慨的,大方的;宽宏大量的;有雅量的;
And so as these elements come together, 当这些条件都具备的时候
elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
I'm quite optimistic that we will be able to eradicate malaria. 我就非常乐观了 因为我们能够根除疟疾了
optimistic:adj.乐观的;乐观主义的; eradicate:vt.根除,根绝;消灭;
Now let me turn to a second question, a fairly different question, but I'd say equally important. 现在让我们转到第二个问题 这和前一个问题毫无联系,但同样很重要
fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直;
And this is: How do you make a teacher great? 这就是:如何打造伟大的老师
It seems like the kind of question that people would spend a lot of time on, and we'd understand very well. 似乎这个问题是那种很费时间去考虑 但是答案很易于理解的问题
And the answer is, really, that we don't. 但事实上,我们并不理解这个问题本身
Let's start with why this is important. 首先说说为什么这个问题重要
Well, all of us here, I'll bet , had some great teachers. 我敢说在座的各位,都曾受教于伟大的老师
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿;
We all had a wonderful education. 我们都受过优秀的教育
That's part of the reason we're here today, part of the reason we're successful. 这也是我们今天能够在这里的部分原因 是我们成功的部分原因
I can say that, even though I'm a college drop-out . 我作为一个大学辍学生
drop-out:n.逃避现实社会的人;中途退学的人;[计]漏失;
I had great teachers. 仍然有过很棒的老师
In fact, in the United States, the teaching system has worked fairly well. 事实上,在美国,教育系统运作的很不错
There are fairly effective teachers in a narrow set of places. 在为数不多的地方聚集了很有影响力的老师们
narrow:adj.狭窄的; v.使窄小; n.峡谷; (场所,物品等的)狭窄部分;
So the top 20 percent of students have gotten a good education. 所以排名前20%的学生得到了好的教育
And those top 20 percent have been the best in the world, if you measure them against the other top 20 percent. 而那20%已经成为世界上的精英 与其他学生相比,这20%的精英
And they've gone on to create the revolutions in software and biotechnology and keep the U.S. at the forefront . 引领了软件和生物科技的革命 使美国保持在世界的前沿
revolutions:n.革命,转数(revolution的复数形式); biotechnology:n.[生物]生物技术;[生物]生物工艺学; forefront:n.最前线,最前部;活动的中心;
Now, the strength for those top 20 percent is starting to fade on a relative basis, but even more concerning is the education that the balance of people are getting. 现在这20%精英们的能量 相对来说已经开始渐渐衰减 但更令人关注的是人们得到的教育的平衡性
fade:v.褪色; adj.平淡的; n.[电影][电视]淡出; relative:adj.相对的;有关系的;成比例的;n.亲戚;相关物;[语]关系词;亲缘植物; concerning:prep.关于;涉及;v.影响,牵涉(某人);与…有关;涉及;(concern的现在分词)
Not only has that been weak; it's getting weaker. 而这种平衡性的减弱,要比教育整体的减弱更厉害
And if you look at the economy , it really is only providing opportunities now to people with a better education. 比如经济领域,现在只有受过良好教育的人 才有机会进入该领域
economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
And we have to change this. 这亟需改变
We have to change it so that people have equal opportunity. 通过改变让所有人拥有平等的机会
We have to change it so that the country is strong and stays at the forefront of things that are driven by advanced education, like science and mathematics . 通过改变让国家变得更强大 并在高等教育相关的 各项领域中都保持在前沿 例如科学和数学
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) mathematics:n.数学;数学运算;
When I first learned the statistics 当我第一次看到统计数据的时候
statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
I was pretty stunned at how bad things are. 糟糕的现状令我惊愕
stunned:adj.震惊的; v.使昏迷; (stun的过去分词和过去式)
Over 30 percent of kids never finish high school. 超过30%的学生无法念完高中
And that had been covered up for a long time because they always took the dropout rate as the number who started in senior year and compared it to the number who finished senior year. 而这个数据还是被低估的 因为算辍学率的时候 只是对比当年开始上高中3年级的和完成高3毕业的学生数
dropout:n.退学学生;脱落;信号失落; senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人; compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
Because they weren't tracking where the kids were before that. 不会记录上高3之前的情况
tracking:n.追踪,跟踪;v.跟踪;(track的现在分词)
But most of the dropouts had taken place before that. 而大多数的辍学都发生在高3以前
dropouts:n.退学学生;脱落;信号失落;(dropout的复数)
They had to raise the stated dropout rate as soon as that tracking was done to over 30 percent. 辍学率被大大低估了 如果高3前辍学也得到记录 辍学率远不止30%
as soon as:一…就;
For minority kids, it's over 50 percent. 少数民族的孩子,辍学率甚至超过一半
minority:n.少数民族;少数派;未成年;adj.少数的;属于少数派的;
And even if you graduate from high school, if you're low-income, you have less than a 25 percent chance of ever completing a college degree. 即使读完了高中 如果来自低收入家庭 你只有不到25%的机会能念完大学
If you're low-income in the United States, you have a higher chance of going to jail than you do of getting a four-year degree. 如果你是美国的低收入者 你进监狱的机会反而高于 获得大学学位
jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱;
And that doesn't seem entirely fair. 这完全不公平
So, how do you make education better? 如何改善我们的教育呢?
Now, our foundation, for the last nine years, has invested in this. 过去的9年中,我们的基金会一直投资于这一事业
invested:v.投资;投入;(invest的过去分词和过去式)
There's many people working on it. 很多人在为此而努力工作着
We've worked on small schools, we've funded scholarships , we've done things in libraries. 我们做小型学校 我们提供奖学金 我们帮助修建图书馆
funded:adj.提供资金的;v.提供资金;积存;提供资金偿付的本息;(fund的过去式); scholarships:n.奖学金;学问;学术;学术研究;(scholarship的复数)
A lot of these things had a good effect. 诸多此类事情的效果都不错
But the more we looked at it, the more we realized that having great teachers was the very key thing. 但随着认识的深入,我们越发意识到 伟大的老师的重要性
And we hooked up with some people studying how much variation is there between teachers, between, say, the top quartile -- the very best -- and the bottom quartile. 我们曾联系过一些 致力于研究老师间差异的人 比如说顶尖的1/4的老师 和最差的1/4之间的差异
hooked:adj.弯曲的; v.(使)钩住,挂住; (hook的过去分词和过去式) variation:n.变异;变体;变奏;变种; quartile:n.四分位数;四分点;
How much variation is there within a school or between schools? 以及同一学校内或学校之间老师的差异
And the answer is that these variations are absolutely unbelievable . 结论是这些差异大得难以置信
variations:n.变奏曲,变更;[生物]变种(variation的复数形式); unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的
A top quartile teacher will increase the performance of their class -- based on test scores -- by over 10 percent in a single year. 顶尖那1/4的老师将提高他们班的教育水准 以测试分数作标准 短短1年就可以提高10%
performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演;
What does that mean? 这意味着什么呢?
That means that if the entire U.S., for two years, had top quartile teachers, the entire difference between us and Asia would go away. 如果全美国在2年内 全部由这顶尖的1/4的老师上课 美国与亚洲的教育水平的差距将不复存在
Within four years we would be blowing everyone in the world away. 4年之内,我们的教育将超过其他任何一个国家
So, it's simple. All you need are those top quartile teachers. 很简单,我们唯一需要的就是这1/4的顶尖老师
And so you'd say, "Wow, we should reward those people. 大家会说:“哦,我们应该奖励这些人,
reward:n.[劳经]报酬;报答;酬谢;v.[劳经]奖励;奖赏;
We should retain those people. 我们要留住这些人,
retain:v.保留;保持;持有;继续拥有;
We should find out what they're doing and transfer that skill to other people." 我们要研究他们的教学技巧并传授给其他人。”
transfer:n.转移;调任;调离;[体]转会球员;v.调任;调走;转学;转移;
But I can tell you that absolutely is not happening today. 可惜这些事情一件也没有发生
What are the characteristics of this top quartile? 这顶尖1/4的老师具有什么样的个性呢?
characteristics:n.特征;特点;品质;(characteristic的复数)
What do they look like? 他们是什么样的人?
You might think these must be very senior teachers. 你一定以为这些都是很资深的老师
And the answer is no. 可惜你错了
Once somebody has taught for three years their teaching quality does not change thereafter . 经过了最初3年的执教之后 老师们的教学水准就不会有多大改变了
thereafter:adv.其后;从那时以后;
The variation is very, very small. 即使有,这种改变也非常的小
You might think these are people with master's degrees. 你或许以为这些老师都有硕士学位
They've gone back and they've gotten their Master's of Education. 他们都曾回到大学拿了教育学的硕士学位
This chart takes four different factors and says how much do they explain teaching quality. 这个图包含了4个不同的因素 并解释了其各自与教学水准的相关程度
factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商;
That bottom thing, which says there's no effect at all, is a master's degree. 最下面这一条,基本上和教育水准无关的 就是硕士学位
Now, the way the pay system works is there's two things that are rewarded . 今天的工资激励系统奖励2件事情
rewarded:v.奖励;奖赏;给以报酬;(reward的过去分词和过去式)
One is seniority . 一是资历
seniority:n.长辈;老资格;前任者的特权;
Because your pay goes up and you vest into your pension . 因为你需要把涨的工资放进你的养老金户头
pension:n.养老金;退休金;抚恤金;adj.有关退休金的;v.给…养老金[恤金,津贴等];
The second is giving extra money to people who get their master's degree. 另一个是用额外的钱鼓励员工去读硕士学位
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外:
But it in no way is associated with being a better teacher. 但这些奖励和成为更好的老师之间没有任何联系
in no way:决不; associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式)
Teach for America: slight effect. 教授美洲文化的老师,由激励产生的影响很微弱
slight:adj.轻微的;略微的;细小的;纤细的;n.侮慢;冷落;轻视;v.侮慢;冷落;轻视;
For math teachers majoring in math there's a measurable effect. 主修数学的数学老师,这种影响较明显
measurable:adj.可测量的;重要的;重大的;
But, overwhelmingly , it's your past performance. 但真正具有压倒性的影响力的,还是你过去的表现
overwhelmingly:adv.压倒性地;不可抵抗地;
There are some people who are very good at this. 有些人很擅长于这种自我激励
And we've done almost nothing to study what that is and to draw it in and to replicate it, to raise the average capability -- or to encourage the people with it to stay in the system. 但我们至今仍然没能够 研究这种自身激励的本质 并复制和推广它 从而提高整体的教学实力 或者鼓励具有这种能力的人们留在教学领域
replicate:vt.复制; vi.重复; adj.复制的; n.复制品; capability:n.才能,能力;性能,容量;
You might say, "Do the good teachers stay and the bad teacher's leave?" 你可能会问:“是不是好老师留下来了,而不好的离开了?”
The answer is, on average, the slightly better teachers leave the system. 答案是,比平均水准略高的老师们离开了
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地;
And it's a system with very high turnover . 而且教育系统本身有很高的人员流动率
turnover:n.翻覆;[贸易]营业额;流通量;半圆卷饼;失误;adj.翻过来的;可翻转的;
Now, there are a few places -- very few -- where great teachers are being made. 现在只有很少数的几个地方,在打造伟大的教师
A good example of one is a set of charter schools called KIPP. 其中有一个特许学校,名为KIPP
charter:n.章程; v.包租(飞机、船等);
KIPP means Knowledge Is Power. “知识就是力量”的缩写
It's an unbelievable thing. 真是难以置信
They have 66 schools -- mostly middle schools, some high schools -- and what goes on is great teaching. 他们有66所学校,大多数是初中,有一些高中 在里面进行着伟大的教学活动
They take the poorest kids, and over 96 percent of their high school graduates go to four-year colleges. 他们招收最贫困的学生 那里毕业的96%的学生后来拿到了大学学位
And the whole spirit and attitude in those schools is very different than in the normal public schools. 而且这些学校里的教学氛围 和普通的公立学校大不相同
attitude:n.态度;看法;意见;姿势; different than:不同于;
They're team teaching. They're constantly improving their teachers. 这些学校采用团队教学的模式,可以持续的提高教师水平
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地; improving:v.改进;改善;(improve的现在分词)
They're taking data, the test scores, and saying to a teacher, "Hey, you caused this amount of increase." 而且收集数据,也就是测试结果 然后告诉老师 “哇,你让学生的成绩提高了这么多。”
They're deeply engaged in making teaching better. 这些学校在全力以赴的提高教师水平
engaged in:从事于;忙于;
When you actually go and sit in one of these classrooms, at first it's very bizarre . 如果你亲身去这些教室体验一下子 刚开始你会觉得很奇妙
bizarre:adj.奇异的(指态度,容貌,款式等);
I sat down and I thought, "What is going on?" 我那会儿就坐着想“发生了什么事?”
The teacher was running around, and the energy level was high. 老师在教室里跑来跑去,现场气氛很high
I thought, "I'm in the sports rally or something. 我想“这里上的是体育课吧,
What's going on?" 到底发生了什么?”
And the teacher was constantly scanning to see which kids weren't paying attention, which kids were bored , and calling kids rapidly, putting things up on the board . 那名老师不断的扫视学生们,寻找有谁开小差了 有谁觉得无聊了 而且很快速的喊学生们上黑板写东西
bored:adj.无聊的;厌倦的;烦闷的;v.使厌烦;钻,凿,挖;(bore的过去分词和过去式) on the board:在董事会,将在会上讨论;在那块木板上;
It was a very dynamic environment, because particularly in those middle school years -- fifth through eighth grade -- keeping people engaged and setting the tone 这种环境非常充满活力 因为在读中学的时候,特别是5到8年级 这种氛围能让学生全身心的投入课堂的学习中
dynamic:n.动力; adj.充满活力的; particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; middle school:n.初中;(英国为9到13岁儿童所设的)中间学校; tone:n.语气:风格:特色:声音信号:v.使更结实:与…协调:
that everybody in the classroom needs to pay attention, nobody gets to make fun of it or have the position of the kid who doesn't want to be there. 并且所有人都能跟得上老师的教学 没有谁会被取笑,也没有学生产生厌学情绪
make fun of:取笑;
Everybody needs to be involved . 所有人都参与到这个活动里面
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
And so KIPP is doing it. 这就是KIPP正在做的事情
How does that compare to a normal school? 那普通学校是如何做得呢?
Well, in a normal school teachers aren't told how good they are. 普通学校里,没人会去赞扬老师们说他们有多棒
The data isn't gathered. 没人收集测验的分数
In the teacher's contract , it will limit the number of times the principal can come into the classroom -- sometimes to once per year. 老师的工作合同里 明文限定了校长进入教室的次数 有时这仅有一年一次
contract:v.收缩;感染;订约;n.合同;婚约; principal:adj.主要的;资本的;n.首长;校长;资本;当事人;
And they need advanced notice to do that. 而且还要提前通知
So imagine running a factory where you've got these workers, some of them just making crap and the management is told, "Hey, you can only come down here once a year, 想象一下子在你的工厂里有这么一群员工 其中有些人只是在生产废品 而经理被告知“喂,你一年只许来车间看一次
crap:n.废话;废物;屎;拉屎;vi.掷骰子;拉屎; management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段;
but you need to let us know, because we might actually fool you, and try and do a good job in that one brief moment." 但你必须提前让我们知道,因为我们很可能会糊弄你 在你来的那一刻,我们会把工作干得很出色。”
Even a teacher who wants to improve doesn't have the tools to do it. 即使老师们自己想提高教学水平,也缺乏工具
improve:v.改进;改善;
They don't have the test scores, and there's a whole thing of trying to block the data. 他们没法收集到测验分数 有一整个系统可以屏蔽这些数据
For example, New York passed a law that said that the teacher improvement data could not be made available and used in the tenure decision for the teachers. 例如,纽约通过了一项法案 用于提升教学水平的数据在决定该教师是否能留任时 不能被获取和使用
improvement:n.改进,改善; tenure:n.任期;占有;vt.授予…终身职位;
And so that's sort of working in the opposite direction. 可见,整个系统都走错了方向
But I'm optimistic about this, 但是我还是很乐观的
I think there are some clear things we can do. 有些事情我认为是明确的应该做得
First of all , there's a lot more testing going on, and that's given us the picture of where we are. 首先,还有很多测试正在进行中 而这些能帮助我们认清自己的处境
First of all:adv.首先;
And that allows us to understand who's doing it well, and call them out, and find out what those techniques are. 让我们了解到谁干的好 把他们找出来,并分析他们的教学技巧
techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数)
Of course, digital video is cheap now. 当然,数字摄影机现在很便宜
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键;
Putting a few cameras in the classroom and saying that things are being recorded on an ongoing basis is very practical in all public schools. 在教室里面放一两个 并告诉老师这个摄影机在持续的录像 这个可以在所有公立学校得到实施
ongoing:n.发展; adj.持续存在的; practical:adj.实际的;真实的;客观存在的;n.实习课;实践课;
And so every few weeks teachers could sit down and say, "OK, here's a little clip of something I thought I did well. 然后每过几个星期就可以让老师们坐下来看录像 他们会说“OK,这里我觉得讲得不错
clip:v.剪辑;修剪;削减;固定;n.夹;夹子;速度;钳;
Here's a little clip of something I think I did poorly. 这里我觉得讲得烂了点儿
Advise me -- when this kid acted up, how should I have dealt with that?" 给我点建议,如果这个学生再闹事,怎么对付呢?”
Advise:v.建议;通知;劝告;忠告;
And they could all sit and work together on those problems. 然后大家可以一起想出解决问题的办法
You can take the very best teachers and kind of annotate it, have it so everyone sees who is the very best at teaching this stuff . 然后就可以打造最好的老师,并且给他们加上“角标” 让所有人都知道谁最擅长于教学
annotate:v.给…作注解(或评注); stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
You can take those great courses and make them available so that a kid could go out and watch the physics course, learn from that. 还可以把优秀的课程的录像制成易于传播的格式 学生就可以在外出的时候看物理课录像来学习
If you have a kid who's behind, you would know you could assign them that video to watch and review the concept. 如果有学生暂时落后了 你可以把录像资料给他们进行复习
assign:v.指定;指派;转让;分派;n.[法]受让人;
And in fact, these free courses could not only be available just on the Internet, but you could make it so that DVDs were always available, and so anybody who has access to a DVD player can have the very best teachers. 事实上,这些免费的课程资料不仅可以在互联网上传播 还可以制成DVD光盘 人们只需要买一台DVD机就可以拥有最好的老师了
And so by thinking of this as a personnel system, we can do it much better. 如果把这看作是(教师或者学生的)个人系统 我们可以做得更好
personnel:n.人事部门;全体人员;adj.人员的;有关人事的;
Now there's a book actually, about KIPP -- the place that this is going on -- that Jay Matthews, a news reporter, wrote -- called, "Work Hard, Be Nice." 现在KIPP的故事被写成了一本书 在这些故事发生的地方 Jay Matthews 这名记者写道“努力学习,友好待人”
And I thought it was so fantastic . 我觉得这个观点很美妙
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
It gave you a sense of what a good teacher does. 这给人一种优秀教师的感觉
I'm going to send everyone here a free copy of this book. 我会给在座的各位每人一本
(Applause) (掌声)
Now, we put a lot of money into education, and I really think that education is the most important thing to get right for the country to have as strong a future as it should have. 今天我们在教学领域投入了大量资金 因为我坚信教育是最重要的,是非作好不可的 这样国家的未来才有了保障
In fact we have in the stimulus bill -- it's interesting -- the House version actually had money in it for these data systems, and it was taken out in the Senate because there are people who are threatened by these things.
stimulus:n.刺激;激励;刺激物; Senate:n.参议院,上院;(古罗马的)元老院;
But I -- I'm optimistic. 但是我很乐观
I think people are beginning to recognize how important this is, and it really can make a difference for millions of lives, if we get it right. 我认为人们已开始认识到教育的重要性 而且只要方法得当,数百万人的生活将被改写
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; make a difference:有影响,有关系;
I only had time to frame those two problems. 时间只允许我讲2个问题
frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的;
There's a lot more problems like that -- 还有其他很多类似的问题
AIDS, pneumonia -- I can just see you're getting excited, just at the very name of these things. 艾滋病,肺炎,已经有些人开始兴奋起来了 当我提到这些名字的时候
And the skill sets required to tackle these things are very broad. 但处理这些问题所需要的措施很广泛
tackle:v.处理; n.用具;
You know, the system doesn't naturally make it happen. 今天的系统还不能顺利的帮我们实现改变
Governments don't naturally pick these things in the right way. 政府并没有自然的选择正确的方法来处理这些事情
The private sector doesn't naturally put its resources into these things. 私有企业也没有主动的把资源投入解决这些事情
private sector:n.(国家经济的)私营部分; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
So it's going to take brilliant people like you to study these things, get other people involved -- and you're helping to come up with solutions. 所以就需要像各位一样的英才们 来研究这些事情,吸引更多人加入进来 大家一起找出解决问题的办法
And with that, I think there's some great things that will come out of it. 我相信通过这样的努力,将来一定会有伟大的回报!
Thank you. 非常感谢!
(Applause) (掌声)