|
|
BillDavenhall_2009P-_健康本于环境_
|
Can geographic information make you healthy? |
地理环境是否 能使你身体更健康? |
geographic:adj.地理的;地理学的;
|
In 2001 I got hit by a train. |
2001年我被一列车撞到。 |
My train was a heart attack . |
我的心脏受到了损害。 |
heart attack:n.[医]心肌梗塞
|
I found myself in a hospital in an intensive-care ward , recuperating from emergency surgery . |
醒来时我发现自己在医院 的一个加护病房里, 正从急救手术中恢复过来。 |
ward:n.病房; v.防止; recuperating:vi.恢复,复原;挽回损失;vt.恢复,使恢复健康; emergency:n.紧急情况;突发事件;非常时刻;adj.紧急的;备用的; surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室;
|
And I suddenly realized something: that I was completely in the dark. |
我突然意识到: 自己完全被蒙在鼓里。 |
I started asking my questions, "Well, why me?" |
我开始问自己:“为什么是我?” |
'"Why now?" "Why here?" |
为什么是现在?为什么在这儿? |
'"Could my doctor have warned me?" |
“我的医生能否事先告诫我?” |
So, what I want to do here in the few minutes I have with you is really talk about what is the formula for life, and good health. |
所以,在接下来的几分钟,我想与你们分享的是 一个健康的生命应由什么构成。 |
formula:n.公式; adj.(赛车)方程式的(指赛车要符合规定的体积,重量及汽缸容量等);
|
Genetics , lifestyle and environment. |
遗传基因,生活方式和环境。 |
Genetics:n.遗传学;
|
That's going to sort of contain our risks, and if we manage those risks we're going to live a good life, and a good healthy life. |
也就是说这些是我们将面对的风险因素, 如果我们处理好这些风险 我们的生活将会更健康更美好。 |
Well, I understand the genetics and lifestyle part. |
当然 ,我了解基因和生活方式这两方面。 |
And you know why I understand that? |
那你们知道我为什么了解吗? |
Because my physicians constantly ask me questions about this. |
因为我的内科医生不断地 询问这些方面的情况。 |
physicians:n.[内科]内科医生(physician的复数); constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
|
Have you ever had to fill out those long, legal-size forms in your doctor's office? |
你是否在医生的办公处填写过, 那些标准大小规格的表格? |
I mean, if you're lucky enough you get to do it more than once, right? |
我是说,你们已幸运地做过多次这样的事,对吗? |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Do it over and over again . And they ask you questions about your lifestyle and your family history, your medication history, your surgical history, your allergy history ... did I forget any history? |
一次又一次的重复。然后他们还要询问 你的生活方式,你的家庭史 你的药物治疗史,你的外科史 你的过敏史,恩...我还忘了其他的什么历史吗? |
over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地; medication:n.药;药物; surgical:adj.外科的;外科手术的; allergy:n.过敏症;反感;厌恶;
|
But this part of the equation I didn't really get. |
但是对于这个部分,我并不是真正的知道。 |
equation:n.方程式,等式;相等;[化学]反应式;
|
And I don't think my physicians really get this part of the equation. |
而且我也不认为我的医生 真正的了解了这部分的信息。 |
What does that mean, my environment? |
我的环境意味着什么? |
Well, it can mean a lot of things. |
实际上,它意味着很多事情。 |
This is my life. These are my life places. |
这是我的生活。它们是我生活的地方。 |
We all have these. |
我们每个人都拥有的。 |
While I'm talking I'd like you to also be thinking about how many places have you lived? |
我希望在我演讲时,你们都想想 你们在多少个地方生活过? |
Just think about that, you know, wander through your life thinking about this. |
在你的生活中时不时 想想这个问题。 |
And you realize that you spend it in a variety of different places. |
你会意识到,你的生命在很多不同的地方度过。 |
variety:n.多样;种类;杂耍;变化,多样化;
|
You spend it at rest and you spend it at work. |
你在不同的地方休息和工作。 |
And if you're like me, you're in an airplane a good portion of your time traveling some place. |
如果是像我类的人,旅途过程中你将花相当一部分的时间 在机场这个地方。 |
airplane:n.飞机; portion:n.部分;(食物的)一份;分担的责任;v.把…分成若干份(或部分);
|
So, it's not really simple when somebody asks you, "Where do you live, where do you work, and where do you spend all your time? |
所以,我们总是很难回答类似的问题 你在哪儿生活?你在哪儿工作? 你在哪儿度过你的时光? |
And where do you expose yourselves to risks that maybe perhaps you don't even see?" |
你在哪儿陷入那些 你甚至未意识到的危机之中? |
expose:v.揭露,揭发;使曝光;显示;
|
Well, when I have done this on myself, |
当我向自己发问时 |
I always come to the conclusion that I spend about 75 percent of my time relatively in a small number of places. |
我总能得出以下结论 我生命中大约75%的时间 都集中在几个地方度过。 |
conclusion:n.结论;结局;推论; relatively:adv.相当程度上;相当地;相对地;
|
And I don't wander far from that place for a majority of my time, even though I'm an extensive global trekker . |
大部分的时间 我不会远离它们, 即使我是一位满世界跑的旅行者。 |
majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人: extensive:adj.广泛的;大量的;广阔的; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; trekker:n.特雷克牌汽车;
|
Now, I'm going to take you on a little journey here. |
现在,我将带你们踏上我的几段旅途。 |
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
|
I started off in Scranton Pennsylvania . |
我从宾夕法尼亚的斯克兰顿出发。 |
Pennsylvania:n.宾夕法尼亚州(美国州名);
|
I don't know if anybody might hail from northeastern Pennsylvania. |
我不知道现场是否有人来自宾西法尼亚州东北部。 |
hail:n.冰雹; v.致敬; northeastern:adj.在东北的;东北方的;来自东北的;
|
But this is where I spent my first 19 years with my little young lungs. |
但是这是我与我年轻活力的肺 一起呆了19年的地方。 |
You know, breathing high concentrations here of sulfur dioxide, carbon dioxide and methane gas, in unequal quantities -- 19 years of this. |
在这里,我伴随着高浓度的 二氧化硫,二氧化碳 和甲烷 一起度过了我生命中的19年。 |
concentrations:n.关注点;[土壤]浓聚物(concentration的复数); sulfur:vt.用硫磺处理;n.硫磺;硫磺色; carbon dioxide:二氧化碳; methane:n.[有化]甲烷;[能源]沼气; unequal:adj.不平等的;不规则的;不胜任的;n.不等同的事物; quantities:n.数量;数目;大量;大宗;(quantity的复数)
|
And if you've been in that part of the country, this is what those piles of burning, smoldering coal waste look like. |
如果你也曾在这个地方住过, 你就会了解它们都是产生于就像这些一堆堆正在燃烧的煤渣。 |
piles:n.痔疮;痔; smoldering:n.闷烧,阴燃;adj.(情绪)郁积的(smoder的变形);
|
So, then I decided to leave that part of the world. |
所以,我决定离开那个地方。 |
And I was going to go to the mid-west. |
然后打算迁到中西部。 |
Okay, so, I ended up in Louisville Kentucky . |
现在我在肯塔基州的路易斯维尔定居。 |
Louisville:n.路易斯维尔(美国肯塔基州城市); Kentucky:n.肯塔基州;
|
Well, I decided to be neighbors to a place called Rubbertown. |
我打算成为橡胶镇的邻居。 |
They manufacture plastics. They use large quantities chloroprene and benzene . |
这个镇生产塑料。生产过程中使用大量的氯丁二烯 和苯。 |
manufacture:v.(用机器)大量生产; n.大量制造; benzene:n.[有化]苯;
|
Okay, I spent 25 years, in my middle-age lungs now, breathing various concentrations of that. |
就这样,我带着我那步入中年的肺 呼吸着充满氯丁二烯和奔的空气又生活了25年。 |
middle-age:中年;
|
And on a clear day it always looked like this, so you never saw it. |
在晴朗的天气里它显得那样的干净漂亮,你从不会发现这些毒气存在。 |
It was insidious and it was really happening. |
但它却是真真实实的潜在地发生了。 |
insidious:adj.阴险的;隐伏的;暗中为害的;狡猾的;
|
And then I decided I had to get really smart, |
然后我决定了我必须变得聪明, |
I would take this job in the west coast . |
我要在西海岸从事这个工作。 |
west coast:n.美国西海岸(尤指加利福尼亚州);
|
And I moved to Redlands California. |
然后我又搬到了加利福尼亚州的瑞德兰兹。 |
Very nice, and there my older, senior lungs, as I like to call them, |
我带着年长的 肺(我喜欢这样称呼它们)生活在那里 |
senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人;
|
I filled with particulate matter, carbon dioxide, and very high does of ozone . |
之后我又发现了一些小问题,二氧化碳,臭氧的浓度非常高。 |
particulate:adj.微粒的;n.微粒,微粒状物质; ozone:n.[化学]臭氧;新鲜的空气;
|
Okay? Almost like the highest in the nation. |
甚至是整个国家最高点的。 |
Alright, this is what it looks like on a good day. |
这个地方天气好的时候就像这样。 |
If you've been there, you know what I'm talking about. |
如果你住过那里,你就会了解我正在说的。 |
So, what's wrong with this picture? |
现在看看,这副图片存在什么问题? |
Well, the picture is, there is a huge gap here. |
是的,在图片的这里,有个巨大的空隙。 |
gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开;
|
The one thing that never happens in my doctor's office: |
在我医生的办公室从未发生过的一件事就是: |
They never ask me about my place history. |
他们从未问过我的居住地情况。 |
No doctor, can I remember, ever asking me, "Where have you lived?" |
我记得从未有过任何一个医生问过我: 你曾经在什么地方居住过? |
They haven't asked me what kind of the quality of the drinking water that I put in my mouth, or the food that I ingest into my stomach. |
他们没有问过我 我饮用的水质量如何? 或者我食用的食物的质量又如何? |
drinking water:n.饮用水; ingest:vt.摄取;咽下;吸收;接待;
|
They really don't do that. It's missing. |
他们从未那样做过。 |
Look at the kind of data that is available. |
看看这组数据。 |
This data is from all over the world -- countries spend billions of dollars investing in this kind of research. |
这组数据是世界各国投入数亿美元 做此类研究所得出的。 |
investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词)
|
Now, I've circled the places where I've been. |
现在,我圈出了我们研究过的地方。 |
Well, by design, if I wanted to have a heart attack |
现在,我必须在一些地方呆过 |
have a heart:v.发慈悲;
|
I'd been in the right places. Right? |
我才能得心脏病,对吗? |
So, how many people are in the white? |
所以,有多少人住在白色的这些地方? |
How many people in the room have spent the majority of their life in the white space? |
在坐的有多少人在这些白色地方 度过了你生命中的大部分时间? |
Anybody? Boy you're lucky. |
有吗?这个先生你很幸运。 |
How many have spent it in the red places? |
又有多少人居住在这些红色区域? |
Oh, not so lucky. |
看来不是很幸运。 |
There are thousands of these kinds of maps that are displayed in atlases all over the world. |
有成千上万副类似的图片, 在世界各地的 地图册中展示出来。 |
displayed:v.陈列;展出;展示;显露(display的过去分词和过去式) atlases:n.[测]地图册(atlas的复数形式);
|
They give us some sense of what's going to be our train wreck . |
他们提醒我们 发生火车碰撞后将会发生什么。 |
wreck:n.严重损毁人或物;沉船;v.破坏;损坏;毁掉;使遇难;
|
But none of that is in my medical record. |
但是在我的医疗记录中没有任何相关的记录。 |
And it's not in yours either. |
相信你们的也没有。 |
So, here is my friend Paul. |
这是我的一位朋友Paul, |
He's a colleague . He allowed his cell phone to be tracked every two hours, 24/7, 365 days out of the year, for the last two years, everywhere he went. |
是我同事,在过去的两年里,他将其移动电话设置为可以被追踪的 365天,每天 两个小时, 不管他到哪个地方。 |
colleague:n.同事,同僚; tracked:v.跟踪;追踪;(track的过去分词和过去式)
|
And you can see he's been to a few places around the United States. |
你可以看到他到过了美国的几个地方, |
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
|
And this is where he has spent most of his time. |
在这里他度过了大部分的时间。 |
If you really studied that you might have some clues as to what Paul likes to do. |
如果你认真的观察这些地方,你可能从中猜出 Paul的爱好是什么。 |
clues:n.(调查,研究等的)线索;迹象;(故事的)关键情节;(clue的复数)
|
Anybody got any clues? Skiing. Right. |
有人知道吗?是的,就是滑雪。 |
We can zoom in here, and we suddenly see that now we see where Paul has really spent a majority of his time. |
我们聚焦这儿,我们马上会发现 在这些地方Paul度过了相当一部分的时光。 |
And all of those black dots are all of the toxic release inventories that are monitored by the EPA. |
所有这些黑点 都是由EPA监测出的有毒气排放 记录的地方。 |
toxic:adj.有毒的;中毒的; release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与; inventories:n.存货(inventory的复数); v.盘存;
|
Did you know that data existed? |
你们知道有这类数据存在吗? |
For every community in the United States, you could have your own personalized map of that. |
在美国的各个社区, 你们都可以领取属于你们自己的地图册。 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; personalized:v.在…上标明主人姓名; (personalize的过去分词和过去式)
|
So, our cellphones can now build a place history. |
所以,我们的手机现在帮助建立我们的居住史。 |
cellphones:n.手机;移动电话;(cellphone的复数)
|
This is how Paul did it. He did it with his iPhone. |
这就是Paul用他的iPhone 所做的. |
This might be what we end up with. |
这可能即使我们最终想要达到的效果。 |
This is what the physician would have in front of him and her when we enter that exam room instead of just the pink slip that said I paid at the counter. Right? |
当我们进入到治疗室时, 这个将呈现给我们的医生 而不是在柜台领取的那张表,对吗? |
pink slip:解雇;
|
This could be my little assessment . |
这个是我自己一个小猜测 |
assessment:n.评定;估价;
|
And he looks at that and he says, "Whoa Bill, |
他可能看着那个然后说 “喔~Bill, |
I suggest that maybe you not decide, just because you're out here in beautiful California, and it's warm every day that you get out and run at six o'clock at night. |
你居住, 你居住在美丽的加利福尼亚 每天都那么的温暖, 可能你决定每天晚上6点出去跑步, |
I'd suggest that that's a bad idea Bill, because of this report." |
但是从这组数据中看出 这将不会是个好主意。” |
What I'd like to leave you for are two prescriptions . |
今天我将留给你们是这样的两个处方: |
prescriptions:n.医药处方,[医]药方(prescription复数形式);
|
Okay, number one is, we must teach physicians about the value of geographical information. |
第一个:我们必须让我们的医生 了解到地理信息的价值所在。 |
geographical:adj.地理的;地理学的;
|
It's called geomedicine. There are about a half a dozen programs in the world right now that are focused on this. |
全世界正在做的研究 其中一半项目都在关注。 |
And they're in the early stages of development. |
这些研究都处于起步阶段, |
These programs need to be supported. |
都需要得到支持。 |
And we need to teach our future doctors of the world the importance of some of the information |
然后我们需要告诉我们未来全世界范围内的 医生们, 今天我与你们 |
I've shared here with you today. |
一起分享的这些信息的重要性。 |
The second thing we need to do is while we're spending billions and billions of dollars all over the world building an electronic health record, we make sure we put a place history inside that medical record. |
第二件事我们需要做的是: 当世界各地投入 亿万美元 去建立一个电子化的健康记录时, 我们必须确定将居住史 记录在内。 |
electronic:adj.电子的;电子器件的;电子设备的;
|
It not only will be important for the physician; it will be important for the researchers that now will have huge samples to draw upon. |
它不仅对医生显得很重要, 为研究者也同样重要。 对此,我们可以举出大量的例子。 |
But it will also be useful for us. |
同样对于我们自己也非常有用。 |
I could have made the decision, if I had this information not to move to the ozone capital of the United States. Couldn't I? I could make that decision. |
如果我们拥有了这些信息, 无需到美国的臭氧中心就可以得出结论。 我可以吗?是的,我可以。 |
Or I could negotiate with my employer to make that decision in the best interest of myself and my company. |
基于我自己和我公司的最大利益, 或者我可以与我的雇主谈判 做出决定。 |
negotiate:v.谈判,商议;转让;越过; employer:n.雇主,老板; in the best interest of:符合…的最佳利益;为…着想;
|
With that, I would like to just say that Jack Lord said this almost 10 years ago. |
有了那些,我可以说出Jack Lord 差不多十年前说过的话。 |
Lord:n.(英国)贵族,大人,大臣;v.使成贵族;作威作福;
|
Just look at that for a minute . |
花一分钟的时间看这, |
for a minute:一会儿;
|
That was what the conclusion of the Dartmouth Atlas of Healthcare was about, with saying that we can explain the geographic variations that occur in disease , in illness, in wellness , and how our healthcare system actually operates. |
这是Dartmouth保健地图册 所得到的结论。 从中我们可以解释 在身体处于生病抑或是健康时地理区域的变化。 还有我们的保健系统又是怎么实际运行的。 |
Dartmouth:n.达特茅斯(英国港口); Healthcare:n.医疗保健;健康护理,健康服务;卫生保健; variations:n.变奏曲,变更;[生物]变种(variation的复数形式); occur:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病; wellness:n.健康;
|
That was what he was talking about on that quote . |
这就是他在引用此数据时 所要阐述的。 |
quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用;
|
And I would say he got it right almost a decade ago. |
我要说在10年前他就正确的认识到了。 |
So, I'd very much like to see us begin to really seize this as an opportunity to get this into our medical records. |
所以,我将非常欣喜的看到 我们能真正的抓住这个机会将居住史也涵盖在医疗记录中。 |
seize:v.抓住;夺取;理解;逮捕;
|
So, with that I'll leave you that in my particular view of view of health, geography always matters. |
所以我将带给你们 我个人对健康的看法: 就是地理总是问题所在。 |
And I believe that geographic information can make both you and me very healthy. Thank you. |
而且我坚信了解地理信息 将会使你和我更加健康。谢谢! |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |