|
|
BeckyBlanton_2009G-_我无家可归的一年_
|
I'm a writer and a journalist , and I'm also an insanely curious person. |
我是一个作家,一个新闻记者, 我也是一位具有强烈求知欲的人。 |
journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者; insanely:adv.疯狂地;狂暴地;精神错乱地; curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
|
So in 22 years as a journalist |
所以在做新闻记者的22年里, |
I've learned how to do a lot of new things. |
我知道了很多新奇的事物。 |
And three years ago, one of the things I learned how to do was to become invisible . |
而三年前,我学会做的一件事就是 变成隐形人。 |
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
|
I became one of the working homeless. |
我成了一个无家可归的工作者。 |
I quit my job as a newspaper editor after my father died in February of that same year, and decided to travel. |
我辞掉了报纸编辑的工作 在我父亲那年二月去世之后 我决定去旅行 |
quit:v.离开;放弃;停止;使…解除;n.离开;[计]退出;adj.摆脱了…的;已经了结的;
|
His death hit me pretty hard. |
他的去世对我打击非常大。 |
And there were a lot of things that I wanted to feel and deal with while I was doing that. |
当时这么做,是因为有很多我想去感知和处理的事。 |
I've camped my whole life. And I decided that living in a van for a year to do this would be like one long camping trip. |
旅游时我天天都在露营。并且决定 在休旅车里住一年 就当作是一段长期野营旅行。 |
van:n.厢式货车;客货车;v.选矿;用车搬运;
|
So I packed my cat, my rottweiler , and my camping gear into a 1975 Chevy van, and drove off into the sunset , having fully failed to realize three critical things. |
所以,我就带上我的猫,我的罗特威尔犬 和露营的装备装载到1975产的雪佛莱旅游车上, 开车去看日落 但当时完全没想过三件严重的事 |
rottweiler:n.罗特韦尔犬(德国的一种狗); gear:n.齿轮; v.适合; Chevy:雪佛兰(Chevrolet); sunset:adj.霞红色的; n.日落(时分); v.(使)定期届满废止; critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的;
|
One: that society equates living in a permanent structure , even a shack , with having value as a person. |
一:社会将住房 即使是很小的房间, 和人的价值等同起来。 |
equates:vt.使相等;视为平等;vi.等同; permanent:adj.永久的,永恒的;n.烫发; structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造; shack:n.棚屋;小室;vi.居住;
|
Two: I failed to realize how quickly the negative perceptions of other people can impact our reality, if we let it. |
二:我没有意识到 其他人的负面言语 对我们本身的影响是多么严重,假如我们放任不管。 |
negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; perceptions:n.认知;观念(perception的复数);理解; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
Three: I failed to realize that homelessness is an attitude , not a lifestyle. |
三:我没有意识到 无家可归是一种生活态度 而不是一种生活方式。 |
homelessness:n.无家可归; attitude:n.态度;看法;意见;姿势;
|
At first, living in the van was great. |
一开始,住在车里是很不错的。 |
I showered in campgrounds. I ate out regularly . |
我在露天洗澡,正常的去外面吃东西。 |
regularly:adv.经常地;有规律地;定期的
|
And I had time to relax and to grieve . |
而且有时间去抒发情感。 |
relax:v.放松,休息;松懈,松弛;变从容;休养; grieve:v.使悲伤,使苦恼;悲痛,哀悼;
|
But then the anger and the depression about my father's death set in. |
但是后来,因我父亲去世而带来的悲愤和痛沮开始加剧。 |
depression:n.沮丧;洼地;不景气;忧愁;
|
My freelance job ended. And I had to get a full-time job to pay the bills. |
我自由作家的工作结束了。我就需要去找一件全职工作 来支付我的账单。 |
freelance:n.自由作家;自由记者;adj.自由投稿的; full-time:adj.专职的;全日制的;全部时间的;
|
What had been a really mild spring turned into a miserably hot summer. |
从一个非常温和的春天 变到一个极其炎热的夏天会怎样呢。 |
mild:adj.温和的; n.(英国的一种)淡味麦芽啤酒; miserably:adv.贫困地;可悲地;糟糕地;非常不幸地;
|
And it became impossible to park anywhere -- |
不管车停在哪都是难以忍受的 |
(Laughs) |
(笑声) |
- without being very obvious that I had a cat and a dog with me, and it was really hot. |
不用说也很明显 我带着一只猫和一只狗,而且非常的热。 |
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
|
The cat came and went through an open window in the van. |
猫从车窗来回的跑。 |
The doggy went into doggy day care. |
狗跑到了狗狗护理中心。 |
doggy:n.(儿语)小狗,汪汪,狗狗;adj.狗的;像狗一样的
|
And I sweated. |
我则大汗淋漓。 |
Whenever I could, I used employee showers in office buildings and truck stops. |
不管什么时候,只要可以,我就会去用 在办公大楼和卡车车站里员工用的淋浴。 |
Or I washed up in public rest rooms. |
或者在公共卫生间里洗洗。 |
Nighttime temperatures in the van rarely dropped below 80 degrees Fahrenheit , making it difficult or impossible to sleep. |
在夜里车里的温度很少会降到华氏80度以下, 这使我几乎无法入睡。 |
Nighttime:n.夜间;adj.夜间的;夜里发生的; rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地; Fahrenheit:adj.华氏的;华氏温度计的;n.华氏温度计;华氏温标;
|
Food rotted in the heat. |
食物在高温下腐坏。 |
Ice in my ice chest melted within hours, and it was pretty miserable . |
冷藏柜里的冰几个小时就化完了, 非常苦闷的时期。 |
melted:v.(使)熔化,融化;(使)软化,变得温柔;(melt的过去分词和过去式) miserable:adj.悲惨的;痛苦的;卑鄙的;
|
I couldn't afford to find an apartment, or couldn't afford an apartment that would allow me to have the rottweiler and the cat. |
我没钱找公寓, 或者找不到让我 可以养狗和猫的地方。 |
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
|
And I refused to give them up. |
我不想把它们抛弃。 |
So I stayed in the van. |
所以我继续待在旅行车里。 |
And when the heat made me too sick to walk the 50 feet to the public restroom outside my van at night, |
但炎热的天气使我饱受折磨 以至于在夜里走50英尺 到车外面的公共卫生间都懒的动。 |
I used a bucket and a trash bag as a toilet. |
我用桶和垃圾袋当厕所。 |
bucket:n.大桶状物; v.拼命划桨; trash:n.垃圾;废物;v.丢弃;修剪树枝;
|
When winter weather set in, the temperatures dropped below freezing. And they stayed there. |
当冬天来临的时候,温度骤降 到零度以下。然后就一直这么冷。 |
And I faced a whole new set of challenges. |
我又遇到了一堆新问题, |
I parked a different place every night so I would avoid being noticed and hassled by the police. |
每晚我的车都停在不同的地方。 这样才可以不让警察发现以至于和警察争吵。 |
hassled:v.争吵;争辩;使烦恼(hassle的过去分词);
|
I didn't always succeed. |
当然,并不是每次都成功。 |
But, I felt out of control of my life. |
但是,我觉得我已无力掌控自己的生活了。 |
And I don't know when or how it happened, but the speed at which I went from being a talented writer and journalist to being a homeless woman, living in a van, took my breath away. |
我也不知道什么时候或者是如何发生的, 我这么快就从一个 有才的写手,新闻从业者 变成一个无家可归,住在车里的女人 这简直是快的难以置信。 |
I hadn't changed. My I.Q. hadn't dropped. |
我并没有变。我的智商没有降低。 |
My talent, my integrity , my values, everything about me remained the same. |
我的才能,我的正直,我的价值, 所有关于我的这些东西都还是一样。 |
integrity:n.完整;正直;诚实;廉正;
|
But I had changed somehow . |
但是从某种程度上,我还是改变了, |
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
|
I spiraled deeper and deeper into a depression. |
我越来越沮丧,像一个漩涡一样不断地往下沉。 |
spiraled:n.螺旋; adj.螺旋形的; vt.使成螺旋形; vi.盘旋;
|
And eventually someone referred me to a homeless health clinic . |
后来有人介绍我去一个专为无家可归之人开的健康诊所。 |
eventually:adv.最后,终于; referred:v.提到;引用;认为;指示;涉及;(refer的过去式和过去分词) clinic:n.诊所;临床实习;(医院的)门诊部;门诊时间;
|
And I went. I hadn't bathed in three days. |
我去了。我有三天都没有洗澡了, |
bathed:adj.沐浴的;淋漓的,湿透的;沉溺的;v.沐浴;(bath的过去分词);
|
I was as smelly and as depressed as anyone in line. |
我和其他那些排队的人一样沮丧,身上的味道也很难闻。 |
smelly:adj.有臭味的,发臭的; depressed:adj.沮丧的; v.使抑郁; (depress的过去式和过去分词)
|
I just wasn't drunk or high. |
我只是没有喝醉或者兴奋。 |
And when several of the homeless men realized that, including a former university professor, they said, "You aren't homeless. Why are you really here?" |
当一些无家可归的人意识到, 包括一个以前在大学任教的教授, 他们说:“你不是无家可归,你真正在这里的原因是什么?” |
Other homeless people didn't see me as homeless, but I did. |
其他的无家可归的人不把我当作是无家可归的人看待。 但是我自己是这么认为的。 |
Then the professor listened to my story and he said, "You have a job. You have hope. |
后来,教授听了我的故事后他说, “你有工作,有希望。 |
The real homeless don't have hope." |
真正无家可归的人并没有希望可言。” |
A reaction to the medication the clinic gave me for my depression left me suicidal . And I remember thinking, "If I killed myself, no one would notice." |
诊所针对我沮丧开的药物的副作用 让我有点自杀的倾向。我还记得当时想, “如果我自杀了,可能没人会发现的” |
reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用; medication:n.药;药物; suicidal:adj.自杀的,自杀性的;自我毁灭的;自取灭亡的;
|
A friend told me, shortly after that, that she had heard that Tim Russert, a nationally renowned journalist had been talking about me on national T.V. |
在那不久后,我的一个朋友就告诉我, 她听说提姆 路塞特, 一个全国知名的记者 在全国播放的电视节目上谈论到了我。 |
nationally:adv.全国性地;以国民立场地;举国一致地; renowned:adj.著名的;闻名的;有名的;受尊敬的
|
An essay I'd written about my father, the year before he died, was in Tim's new book. |
一篇我写的关于我父亲的短文, 在他去世前一年写的,被收录到了提姆的新书里。 |
And he was doing the talk show circuit . And he was talking about my writing. |
他那时在做巡回演讲,提到我的写作。 |
talk show:n.脱口秀; circuit:n.环行路线;电路;线路;巡回赛;v.巡回;周游;
|
And when I realized that Tim Russert, former moderator of Meet the Press, was talking about my writing, while I was living in a van in a Wal-Mart parking lot , |
当我发现提姆 路塞特,前Meet the Press节目的调解员, 在谈论我的写作。 而我却生活在停在沃尔玛停车场里的旅行车里面, |
moderator:n.[核]慢化剂;仲裁人;调解人;缓和剂; Wal-Mart:n.沃尔玛; parking lot:n.停车场;
|
I started laughing. |
我开始笑了, |
You should too. |
呵,你们也该笑笑。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I started laughing because it got to the point where, was I a writer, or was I a homeless woman? |
我开始笑, 因为这正是问题根结, 我是一位作家呢,还是一位无家可归的女人? |
So I went in the bookstore. And I found Tim's book. |
于是我走进一家书店。找到提姆的书。 |
And I stood there. And I reread my essay. |
我站在那,又重新读了一遍我写的短文。 |
reread:vi.重读,再读;vt.重读;再读;n.重读;
|
And I cried. |
我哭了。 |
Because I was a writer. |
因为我是一位作家, |
I was a writer. |
是一位作家。 |
Shortly after that I moved back to Tennessee . |
在那之后,我很快就搬回了田纳西。 |
Tennessee:n.田纳西州(美国州名);
|
I alternated between living in a van and couch surfing with friends. |
有时住在车里,有时会去朋友家睡沙发。 |
alternated:交替;轮流(alternate的过去分词);间隔的;轮流的;交替的; couch:n.睡椅,长沙发;床;卧榻;v.蹲伏,埋伏;躺着; surfing:v.冲浪;进行冲浪运动;(互联网上)浏览;(surf的现在分词)
|
And I started writing again. |
我又重新开始写作了。 |
By the summer of the following year I was a working journalist. |
在接踵而来的夏天里,我又成为了一名新闻记者。 |
I was winning awards. I was living in my own apartment. |
我得了奖,住在我自己的公寓里。 |
I was no longer homeless. |
我不再无家可归。 |
And I was no longer invisible. |
我也不再被无视。 |
Thousands of people work full and part-time jobs, and live in their cars. |
无数的人在从事着全职和兼职的工作, 而且住在他们的车里。 |
But society continues to stigmatize and criminalize living in your vehicle or on the streets. |
但是社会还继续污蔑他们 并视住在交通工具里或者睡在街上为犯罪。 |
stigmatize:vt.诬蔑;玷污;给…打上烙印; criminalize:vt.宣告…为犯法行为;判定…为非法事件; vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物;
|
So the homeless, the working homeless, primarily remain invisible. |
所以那些无家可归,有工作但是无家可归的人,大部分还是隐藏着的。 |
primarily:adv.首先;主要地,根本上;
|
But if you ever meet one, engage them, encourage them, and offer them hope. |
但是如果你见到了, 雇用他们,鼓励他们,并给予他们希望。 |
engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定;
|
The human spirit can overcome anything if it has hope. |
只要有希望,人类的精神可以克服一切困难。 |
overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜;
|
And I'm not here to be the poster girl for the homeless. |
我并不是来这里为无家可归的人做宣传的。 |
poster:n.海报;巨幅装饰画;发布消息的人;
|
I'm not here to encourage you to give money to the next panhandler you meet. |
我不是来这里鼓励你们去施舍下一个你见到的乞丐。 |
panhandler:n.叫花子;乞丐;
|
But I am here to tell you that, based on my experience, people are not where they live, where they sleep, or what their life situation is at any given time. |
而我在这里是来告诉你们,根据我过去的经历, 人不是由他们所住的地方, 睡得地方, 或者他们在任何一个时间的生活状态所决定的。 |
Three years ago I was living in a van in a Wal-Mart parking lot. |
三年前,我住在一个停在 沃尔玛的停车场的汽车里。 |
And today I'm speaking at TED. |
而今天我却在TED演讲。 |
Hope always, always, finds a way. Thank you. |
希望永远,永远,会指引前路。谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |