返回首页

BeauLotto_2009G-_错觉中的视觉真相_

I want to start with a game. 我想以一个游戏开始今天的演讲
And to win this game, all you have to do is see the reality that's in front of you as it really is. All right? 要赢这个游戏 你只要看清眼前的一切 一切据实而观,好吗?
So, we have two panels here, of colored dots. 这里有两个板子 上面有些彩色圆点
panels:n.面板(panel的复数); v.嵌镶(panel的第三人称单数形式);
And one of those dots is the same in the two panels. Okay? 这两个板子上的圆点中有一对是相同的 清楚了吗?
And you have to tell me which one. 你要告诉我是哪一对
Now, narrow it down to the gray one, the green one, and, say, the orange one. 现在,将范围缩小到 灰色的,绿色的和橙色的
narrow:adj.狭窄的; v.使窄小; n.峡谷; (场所,物品等的)狭窄部分;
So, by a show of hands -- we'll start with easiest one -- 大家举手示意吧,我们从最简单的开始
Show of hands: how many people think it's the gray one? 多少人认为是灰色的?
Really? Okay. 真的吗?好的
How many people think it's the green one? 有多少人认为是绿色的?
And how many people think it's the orange one? 那么又有多少人认为是橙色的?
Pretty even split . 人数都差不多
split:v.分离;使分离;劈开;离开;分解;n.劈开;裂缝;adj.劈开的;
Let's find out what the reality is. 让我们来看看真相。
Here is the orange one. 这是橙色的。
(Laughter) (笑)
Here is the green one. 绿色的。
And here is the gray one. 还有灰色的。
(Laughter) (笑)
So, for each of you who saw that, you're a complete realist . All right? 你们这些猜对的人是纯粹的现实主义者
realist:n.现实主义者;实在论者;
(Laughter) (笑)
So, this pretty amazing, actually, isn't it? 这挺神奇的,对吧?
Because nearly every living system has evolved the ability to detect light in one way or another. 因为几乎所有的生命系统 都演变出了对光线的感应能力
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式) detect:vt.察觉;发现;探测;
So, for us, seeing color is one of the simplest things the brain does. 所以对我们的大脑来说,看见颜色是最简单的事情
And yet, even at this most fundamental level, context is everything. 然而,即便是在这个最基础的阶段 背景决定一切
fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的; context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
What I want to talk about is not that context is everything, but why is context everything. 其实我想谈论的并不是“背景决定了一切”这件事 而是“为什么背景决定了一切”。
Because it's answering that question that tells us not only why we see what we do, but who we are as individuals , and who we are as a society. 因为这不仅回答了关于 为什么我们可以看到我们所做的疑问, 还告诉我们作为一个个体, 在社会中扮演怎样的角色
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
But first, we have to ask another question, which is, "What is color for?" 但首先,我们要提出另外一个问题, 那就是,“颜色是用来做什么的”。
And instead of telling you, I'll just show you. 与其讲给你们听不如演示给你们看
What you see here is a jungle scene. 你所看到的是丛林的一景
jungle:n.密林;尔虞我诈的环境;危险地带;
And you see the surfaces according to the amount of light that those surfaces reflect . 你是根据这些表面反射光线的量 来看它的表面的。
according to:根据,据说; reflect:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;表明,表达;
Now, can any of you see the predator that's about to jump out at you? 现在谁能看见那个正朝你们扑来的凶猛野兽?
predator:n.[动]捕食者;[动]食肉动物;掠夺者;
And if you haven't seen it yet, you're dead. Right? 如果你还没看见它就必死无疑了,对吧。
(Laughter) (笑)
Can anyone see it? Anyone? No? 有人能看见吗?没有?
Now, let's see the surfaces according the quality of light that they reflect. 现在,让我们来根据这些表面反射光线的性质来观察它。
And now you see it. 现在你能看见了吧。
So, color enables us to see the similarities and differences between surfaces, according to the full spectrum of light that they reflect. 所以颜色让我们 能够分辨外观上的异同 是根据他们表面反射的全部光谱
enables:v.使得; (enable的第三人称单数) similarities:n.相仿性;类似性;相像处;(similarity的复数) to the full:充分地;完全地; spectrum:n.光谱;频谱;范围;余象;
But what you've just done is, in many respects, mathematically impossible. 但你刚刚所做的这些,从很多层面上是无法用数学方法论证的。
mathematically:adv.算术地,数学上地;
Why? Because, as Berkeley tells us, we have no direct access to our physical world, other than through our senses. 为什么?因为正如伯克利告诉我们的, 我们没有进入外界世界的直接的方法 只能通过我们的感官。
direct access:n.直接存取;随机访问; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
And the light that falls on to our eyes is determined by multiple things in the world -- not only the color of objects, but also the color of their illumination , and the color of the space between us and those objects. 而我们眼睛所接收的光线 是由很多因素决定的-- 不仅是物体的颜色, 还有它们发出的光的颜色, 以及我们与物体之间空间的颜色。
determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式) multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数; illumination:n.照明;[光]照度;启发;灯饰(需用复数);阐明;
You vary any one of those parameters , and you'll change the color of the light that falls onto your eye. 你改变其中的任何一个参量 就会改变那些进入你眼睛的光的颜色
vary:vi.变化;变异;违反;vt.改变;使多样化;变奏; parameters:n.决定因素;规范;范围;(parameter的复数)
This is a huge problem because it means that the same image could have an infinite number of possible real-world sources . 这是一个很重要的问题,因为这代表 相同的影像可能来自于无限多的 真实世界的像源
infinite:adj.无限的,无穷的; n.无限; real-world:adj.现实生活的;工作的; sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数)
So let me show you what I mean. Imagine that this is the back of your eye. 让我来演示一下我所想表达的。试想一下这是你眼睛的背部
And these are two projections from the world. 这里有两个来自外界的投影
projections:n.预测;设想;投影;投影图;(projection的复数)
They are identical in every single way. 它们完全相同
identical:adj.同一的;完全相同的;n.完全相同的事物;
Identical in shape, size, spectral content . 在形状上,大小上,光谱含量上全部完全相同。
spectral:adj.[光]光谱的;幽灵的;鬼怪的; content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足;
They are the same, as far as your eye is concerned . 正如你肉眼所见,它们一模一样
as far as:至于…; concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
And yet they come from completely different sources. 但是它们却来自于完全相异的像源。
The one on the right comes from a yellow surface, in shadow, oriented facing the left, viewed through a pinkish medium . 右边的这个 来自于一个黄色的表面, 在阴影下,面向左侧 通过一个粉红色的媒介物观察到的。
oriented:adj.导向的; v.调整; pinkish:adj.略带桃色的;较为激进的; medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的;
The one on the left comes from an orange surface, under direct light, facing to the right, viewed through a sort of a blueish medium. 左边的这个来自于一个橙色的表面, 在直射光之下,面朝右侧, 通过一个蓝色的媒介物观察到的。
blueish:adj.带青色的(等于bluish);
Completely different meanings, giving rise to the exact same retinal information. 完全不同的意义, 却造成了完全相同的视网膜信息。
retinal:adj.视网膜的;n.[生化]视黄醛(等于retinene);
And yet it's only the retinal information that we get. 并且这些仅有的视网膜信息是 所有我们能得到的。
So how on earth do we even see? 那么我们究竟是如何看的呢?
So, if you remember anything in this next 18 minutes, remember this: that the light that falls on to your eye, sensory information, is meaningless. 如果你要记住以下18分钟内的任何事情, 记住这个:这些进入你眼睛的光, 感官信息是完全无意义的。
sensory:adj.感觉的;知觉的;传递感觉的;
Because it could mean literally anything. 因为它可以意味任何事情
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
And what's true for sensory information is true for information generally . 感官信息就如同一般的信息,
generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地;
There is no inherent meaning in information. 本身并没有意义。
inherent:adj.固有的;内在的;与生俱来的,遗传的;
It's what we do with that information that matters. 我们如何运用这些信息才是最重要的。
So, how do we see? Well, we see by learning to see. 那么,我们如何看?我们学习如何看然后看。
So, the brain evolved the mechanisms for finding patterns, finding relationships in information, and associating those relationships with a behavioral meaning, a significance , by interacting with the world. 因此,我们的大脑进化了这种寻找模式的机制, 寻找信息间的关系, 并且将这些关系 和行为上的意义 即与外界的互动联系起来。
mechanisms:n.机制;[机]机构(mechanism的复数);机械;[机]机构学; associating:n.姘居;v.结合;使联合;把…联系在一起(associate的ing形式); behavioral:adj.行为的; significance:n.意义;重要性;意思; interacting:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的现在分词)
We're very aware of this in the form of more cognitive attributes , like language. 我们很清楚地意识到这种 较偏向于认知性质的形式,如同语言。
cognitive:adj.认知的,认识的; attributes:v.把…归因于; n.属性; (attribute的第三人称单数和复数)
So, I'm going to give you some letter strings . And I want you to read them out for me, if you can. 现在我将给你们一些字母串并且希望你们为我读出来, 如果你们可以的话。
strings:一串,悬挂(string的第三人称单数和复数)
Audience: "Can you read this?" 观众:“你可以读这个吗?”
'"You are not reading this." “你并没有在读这个”
'"What are you reading?" “你在读什么?”
Beau Lotto : "What are you reading?" Half the letters are missing. Right? 包拉托: 你们在读什么? 有一半的字母不见了,对吧?
Beau:n.花花公子;喜修饰者;情郎;adj.美的;好的; Lotto:n.一种对号码的牌戏;
There is no a priori reason why an "H" has to go between that "W" and "A." 这里没有一个优先的原因为什么 H 要在 W 和 A”之间。
priori:adj.先验的;优先的(等于apriori);adv.先验地(等于apriori); go between:n.媒人;中间人;媒介者;
But you put one there. Why? 但是你把它放在了那里。为什么呢?
Because in the statistics of your past experience it would have been useful to do so. So you do so again. 因为根据你过去经验的统计 那样做会很有用。所以你再次这样做了。
statistics:n.统计数字;统计资料;统计学;(statistic的复数)
And yet you don't put a letter after that first "T." 然而你并没有在第一个“T”之前放任何一个字母,
Why? Because it wouldn't have been useful in the past. 为什么?因为过去这样做没有用。
So you don't do it again. 所以你不会再这样做。
So let me show you how quickly our brains can redefine normality , even at the simplest thing the brain does, which is color. 那么让我来给你演示一下你的大脑能够多么迅速的重新定义常态, 甚至于大脑所做的最简单的事情,也就是颜色。
redefine:vt.重新定义; normality:n.常态;[化学]当量浓度;[化学]规定浓度;
So, if I could have the lights down up here. 如果我将这里的灯关掉
I want you to first notice that those two desert scenes are physically the same. 我希望你首先注视到这两个沙漠的景象是完全一样的
One is simply the flipping of the other. Okay? 一个是另外一个的翻转,好吗?
flipping:v.该死; v.(使)快速翻转; (flip的现在分词)
Now I want you to look at that dot between the green and the red. Okay? 现在我要你们看着那个 在绿色和红色之间的圆点,好吗?
And I want you to stare at that dot. Don't look anywhere else. 而且我希望你们盯着这个圆点,不要看其它的地方
stare:v.凝视;盯着看;注视;n.凝视;
And we're going to look at that for about 30 seconds, which is a bit of a killer in an 18-minute talk. 我们将看着它大约30秒, 这就是这18分钟演讲中最迷人的一部分
(Laughter) (笑)
But I really want you to learn. 但是我其实是希望你们去学习
And I'll tell you -- don't look anywhere else -- and I'll tell you what's happening inside your head. 我将告诉你--不要看任何其它的地方-- 我将告诉你在你的脑袋里面都发生了些什么。
Your brain is learning. And it's learning that the right side of its visual field is under red illumination; the left side of its visual field is under green illumination. 你的大脑在学习。它在学习视野的右边 是在红色的照明之下; 视野左边是在绿色的照明之下。
visual field:na.视野;
That's what it's learning. Okay? 这就是它正在学习的。是吧?
Now, when I tell you, I want you to look at the dot between the two desert scenes. 现在,当我告诉你,我希望你看这个在两个沙漠图片中间的圆点。
So why don't you do that now? 现在为何不做做看?
(Laughter) (笑)
Can I have the lights up again? 可以把灯打开吗?
I take it from your response they don't look the same anymore. Right? 我从你们的反应中得知它们不再看起来一致了,对吗?
response:n.响应;反应;回答;
(Applause) (鼓掌)
Why? Because your brain is seeing that same information as if the right one is still under red light, and the left one is still under green light. 为什么?因为你们的大脑正在以相同的信息看 正如同右边的仍然在红色灯的照射下, 左边的仍然在绿色灯的照射下。
That's your new normal. 那就是你的新常态。
So, what does this mean for context? 那么,这对背景意味着什么呢?
It means that I can take these two identical squares, and I can put them in light and dark surrounds. 这意味着我可以将这两个完全相同的正方形, 将它们放入明亮的和黑暗的环境当中,
And now the one on the dark surround looks lighter than the one on the light surround. 现在这个在黑暗环境中的看起来比另一个在灯光环境下的要明亮些
What's significant is not simply the light and dark surrounds that matter. 重要的不是简单的明暗环境
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
It's what those light and dark surrounds meant for your behavior in the past. 而是这些明暗环境对你过去的行为意味着什么
So I'll show you what I mean. Here we have that exact same illusion . 我来给你演示一下是什么意思。这里我们有 一模一样的错觉。
illusion:n.幻觉,错觉;错误的观念或信仰;
We have two identical tiles , on the left, one in a dark surround, one in a light surround. 在左边有两个完全一样的瓷砖 一个在黑暗的环境中,另一和在明亮的环境中。
tiles:n.[建]瓷砖(tile的复数形式);v.铺砖(tile的第三人称单数形式);
And the same thing over on the right. 右边也是同样的情况
Now, what I'm going to do is I'm going to review those two scenes. 现在,我将检视这两幅景象
But I'm not going to change anything within those boxes, except their meaning. 但是我并不会改变这些盒子中的任何东西, 除了它们的意义。
And see what happens to your perception . 然后看看你的感知发生了什么变化
perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
Notice that on the left the two tiles look nearly completely opposite: one very white and one very dark. 注视左边的 两个瓷砖看起来几乎完全相反: 一个十分的明亮一个十分的黑暗
Alright? Whereas , on the right, the two tiles look nearly the same. 是不?然而,在左边的 这两个瓷砖看起来几乎完全相同。
Whereas:conj.然而;鉴于;反之;
And yet there is still one on a dark surround, and one on a light surround. 但是它们仍然是一个在暗环境中,另一个在明环境中。
Why? Because if the tile in that shadow were in fact in shadow, and reflecting the same amount of light to your eye as the one outside the shadow, it would have to be more reflective -- just the laws of physics. 为什么?因为如果在那个阴影的瓷砖 是在真的阴影中的话, 它所反射出的到你的眼睛的光 和另一个在阴影外的瓷砖反射的光将是同量 那么它应该反射出更多的光--这正是物理定理
reflecting:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;显示,表明,表达;(reflect的现在分词) reflective:adj.反射的;反映的;沉思的;
So you see it that way. 所以你看见正是那种一明一暗的景象。
Whereas on the right, the information is consistent with those two tiles being under the same light. 然而在右边,那些信息是持续一致的 即这两个瓷砖在同样的照明下。
consistent:adj.始终如一的,一致的;坚持的;
If they are under the same light, reflecting the same amount of light to your eye, then they must be equally reflective. 如果他们在同样的照明下,反射同量的光 向你的眼睛, 那么他们必定有同等的反射力
So you see it that way. 所以你所看到的就是同样明暗的两个瓷砖的景象
Which means we can bring all this information together to create some incredibly strong illusions . 也就是意味着我们可以将所有这些信息组合在一起 创造出不可思议的强烈的错觉
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; illusions:n.幻想;错觉;幻觉;幻影(illusion的复数)
This is one I made a few years ago. 这个是我多年前做的一张图
And you'll notice you see a dark brown tile at the top, and a bright orange tile at the side. 你可以发现一个深褐色的瓷砖在顶部 和一个亮橙色的瓷砖在侧面
That is your perceptual reality. The physical reality is that those two tiles are the same. 这是你感知的事实。但真实现实是 这两个瓷砖实际上是一样的。
perceptual:adj.知觉的;感知的;有知觉的;
Here you see four gray tiles on your left, seven gray tiles on the right. 你可以看见四个灰色的瓷砖在左边, 七个灰色的侧转在右边
I'm not going to change those tiles at all. 我将不会对这些瓷砖做任何变化
But I'm going to reveal the rest of the scene. 但是我将显示其余的画面
reveal:v.显示;透露;揭露;泄露;n.揭露;暴露;门侧,窗侧;
And see what happens to your perception. 然后看看你的感知发生了什么变化
The four blue tiles on the left are gray. 这四个在左边的蓝色瓷砖是灰色的
The seven yellow tiles on the right are also gray. 这七个在右边的黄色瓷砖也是灰色
They are the same. Okay? 他们是相同的,对吧?
Don't believe me? Let's watch it again. 你不相信我?让我们再来看一看
What's true for color is also true for complex perceptions of motion . 对于颜色适用的道理也同样对动态的复杂感知适用
complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; perceptions:n.认知;观念(perception的复数);理解; motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势;
So here we have -- let's turn this around -- a diamond. 这儿我们有-- 让我们将这个菱形转动起来
And what I'm going to do is, I'm going to hold it here, and I'm going to spin it. 接下来我将做什么呢,我将把它拿到这里, 然后我将旋转它
spin:v.旋转;纺纱;吐丝;纺线;n.头晕;(快速)旋转;常用于英式英语;晕头转向;
And for all of you, you'll see it probably spinning this direction. 你们大家都会看到它向着这个方向旋转
spinning:n.纺纱(手艺):纺线v.(使)旋转:纺线:纺纱;(spin的现在分词)
Now I want you to keep looking at it. 现在我要你们持续看着它
Move your eyes around, blink , maybe close one eye. 转你的眼球,眨眼,或者闭上一只眼
blink:vt.眨眼;使…闪烁;vi.眨眼;闪烁;n.眨眼;瞬间;闪光;
And suddenly it will flip, and start spinning the opposite direction. 突然间他就翻转了,然后向着相反的方向旋转
Yes? Raise your hand if you got that. Yes? 是吗?如果你得到同样的结果就请举手。是吧?
Keep blinking . Every time you blink it will switch. Alright? 继续眨眼睛。每眨一次眼睛它就会切换一次,对吧?
blinking:adv.讨厌,可恶;v.眨眼睛;闪烁;(blink的现在分词)
So I can ask you, which direction is it rotating ? 所以我问你,它在向哪个方向旋转?
rotating:v.(使)旋转,转动;(工作)由…轮值;(rotate的现在分词)
How do you know? 你如何得知?
Your brain doesn't know. Because both are equally likely. 你的大脑不知道。因为两种可能性都很相似
So depending on where it looks, it flips between the two possibilities. 根据它从哪里看,它翻转在 两种可能性之间
flips:n.菲力普类(酒的一种);vt.掷;弹;轻击(flip的第三人称单数);
Are we the only ones that see illusions? 我们是唯一看到错觉的吗?
The answer to this question is no. 答案是否定的
Even the beautiful bumble bee , with its mere one million brain cells, which is 250 times fewer cells than you have in one retina, sees illusions, does the most complicated things that even our most sophisticated computers can't do. 即便是美丽的大黄蜂, 有着仅仅一百万个脑细胞 比你一个视网膜上细胞的两百五十分之一还要少 也一样看到错觉,即便它们处理最复杂的事情 甚至于我们最精密的电脑都做不到。
bumble bee:n.大黄蜂; mere:adj.仅仅的;只不过的;n.小湖;池塘; complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式) sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的;
So in my lab, we of course work on bumblebees . 在我的实验室里,我们当然研究大黄蜂
bumblebees:n.[昆]大黄蜂;
Because we can completely control their experience, and see how that alters the architecture of their brain. 因为我们可以完全的控制它们的经验 并且观察那些经验如何改变它们大脑的结构
alters:v.改变,更改,改动:(alter的第三人称单数) architecture:n.建筑学;建筑风格;建筑式样;架构;
And we do this in what we call the Bee Matrix . 我们所做的这个叫做蜜蜂矩阵
Matrix:n.[数]矩阵;模型;[生物][地质]基质;母体;子宫;[地质]脉石;
And here you have the hive . You can see the queen bee , that large bee in the middle there. Those are all her daughters, the eggs. 这有蜂房。你可以看到蜂后, 在中间的那只大的蜜蜂。这些卵是她的女儿们,
hive:vi.群居; n.蜂房,蜂巢; vt.入蜂箱; queen bee:蜂王;社交界女王;
And they go back and forth between this hive and the arena , via this tube. 它们通过这个管子在蜂房 和活动场所之间来回飞动
back and forth:前后移动的,来回的,反复的; arena:n.舞台;竞技场; via:prep.通过;经由;n.道路;[医]管道;
And you'll see one of the bees come out here. 你将看到其中有一只蜜蜂从这里出来
You see how she has a little number on her? 你看到它是如何得到一个编号的啊?
Yeah there is another one coming out. She has another number on her. 这里又有一只蜜蜂出来了。它身上有另外一个编号
Now, they are not born that way. Right? 它们不是生来就有编号的,对吧?
We pull them out, put them in the fridge, and they fall asleep. 我们把它们拖出来,放到冰箱里,令它们睡着
And then you can superglue little numbers on them. 然后你就可以用强力胶把这些小编号粘在它们身上
superglue:n.超强力胶水;超效黏合剂;
(Laughter) (笑)
And now in this experiment they get rewarded if they go to the blue flowers. 在这个实验中,它们如果去蓝色的花儿则被奖励
rewarded:v.奖励;奖赏;给以报酬;(reward的过去分词和过去式)
And they land on the flower. They stick their tongue in there, called a proboscis , and they drink sugar water. 它们停留在花上,将舌头刺进那里, 称作吸管,然后它们喝那些糖水
proboscis:n.鼻子;[昆]喙;象鼻;[无脊椎]吻;
Now she is drinking a glass of water that's about that big to you and I, will do that about three times, and then fly. 现在她正在喝对于你我来说大概这么大的一杯水 大约喝三次之后飞走
And sometimes they learn not to go to the blue, but to go to where the other bees go. 有些时候他们学习不要去那些蓝色的花, 而是去那些别的蜜蜂去的地方
So they copy each other. They can count to five. They can recognize faces. 因此他们相互效仿。他们可以数到五,也可以分辨长相
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
And here she comes down the ladder . 现在她正下来
ladder:n.阶梯;途径;梯状物;v.成名;发迹;在…上装设梯子;
And she'll come into the hive, find an empty honey pot, and throw up, and that's honey. 进去蜂房之后找到空的蜜罐 然后吐出来,这就是蜂蜜
(Laughter) (笑)
Now remember -- (Laughter) 现在请记住--(笑)
- she's supposed to be going to the blue flowers. -她理应去那些蓝色的花儿
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
But what are these bees doing in the upper right corner? 但是这些在右上边角落的蜜蜂在做什么呢?
upper:adj.上面的;内陆的;n.靴面;兴奋剂;
It looks like they're going to green flowers. 看起来它们要去绿色的花儿
Now, are they getting it wrong? 现在,是他们弄错了吗?
And the answer to the question is no. Those are actually blue flowers. 这个问题的答案是否定的。那些其实是蓝色的花儿
But those are blue flowers under green light. 却是在绿色灯光之下的蓝色花儿
So they are using the relationships between the colors to solve the puzzle . 因此它们利用颜色间的关系来解开谜团
puzzle:n.谜;疑问;智力游戏;不解之谜;v.迷惑;使困惑;
Which is exactly what we do. 这也正是我们所做的
So, illusions are often used, especially in art, in the words of a more contemporary artist, "to demonstrate the fragility of our senses." 错觉常常被利用 特别是运用在艺术上,以一名当代艺术家的话来说, “来证明我们感官的脆弱”
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; contemporary:n.同时代的人;同时期的东西;adj.当代的;同时代的;属于同一时期的; demonstrate:vt.证明;展示;论证;vi.示威; fragility:n.脆弱;[力]易碎性;虚弱;
Okay, this is complete rubbish. 这纯粹是一派胡言
The senses aren't fragile . And if they were, we wouldn't be here. 感官并不脆弱,如果感官脆弱的话我们就不会在这里了
fragile:adj.脆的;易碎的;
Instead, color tells us something completely different, that the brain didn't actually evolve to see the world the way it is. 反之,颜色告诉我们完全相反的东西, 即大脑实际上并不是进化到能够看这真实的世界
We can't. Instead, the brain evolved to see the world the way it was useful to see in the past. 我们不能。取而代之的是,大脑进化为看到这个世界 过去曾经的样子
And how we see is by continually redefining normality. 我们之所以可以看是通过不断的更新对常态的定义
continually:adv.不断地;频繁地; redefining:v.改变…的本质(或界限);重新定义;使重新考虑;(redefine的现在分词)
So how can we take this incredible capacity of plasticity of the brain and get people to experience their world differently? 那么我们如何可以利用这种 大脑不可思议的可塑性 令人们不同地体验他们的世界?
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; plasticity:n.塑性,可塑性;适应性;柔软性;
Well, one of the ways we do in my lab and studio is we translate the light into sound and we enable people to hear their visual world. 其中一种方法我们在我的实验室和工作室里所做的 就是我们把光翻译成声音 使得人们能够听到他们的视觉世界
studio:n.工作室;[广播][电视]演播室;画室;电影制片厂; translate:v.翻译;被翻译;被译成;(使)转变;
And they can navigate the world using their ears. 于是他们就可以利用耳朵来航行于视觉世界
navigate:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空;
Here is David, in the right. And he is holding a camera. 右边的这位是大卫。他拿着一个照相机
On the left is what his camera sees. 左边的是他相机的所见
And you'll see there is a line, a faint line going across that image. 你可以看到这里有一条线,一条穿过那个影像的淡色的线
faint:n.昏厥;v.昏厥;adj.昏眩;(光,声,味)微弱的;微小的;可能性不大的;
That line is broken up into 32 squares. 那条线被分成了三十二个正方形
In each square we calculate the average color. 我们计算每个正方形的平均颜色
And then we just simply translate that into sound. 我们于是简单地将它翻译成声音
And now he's going to turn around, close his eyes, and find a plate on the ground, with his eyes closed. 现在他将 转过身,闭上眼睛 闭着眼睛找到地上的一个板子
He finds it. Amazing. Right? 他找到了。很神奇。对吧?
So not only can we create a prosthetic for the visually impaired , but we can also investigate how people literally make sense of the world. 所以我们不仅仅能为视觉创伤创造出一个假体 而且我们还可以研究人们是如何 如实地感知这个世界
prosthetic:adj.假体的;非朊基的; visually:adv.形象化地;外表上;看得见地; impaired:adj.受损的;v.损害(impair的过去式和过去分词); investigate:v.调查;研究;审查; make sense of:搞清…的意思;
But we can also do something else. We can also make music with color. 但是我们还可以做别的事情。我们可以用颜色来创造音乐
So, working with kids, they created images , thinking about what might the images you see sound like if we could listen to them. 和孩子们合作 他们创造影像, 想象一下你可以看到什么影像 听起来就好像我们能够倾听它们
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
And then we translated these images. 于是我们翻译这些影像
And this is one of those images. 这是其中的一幅影像
And this is a six-year-old child composing a piece of music for a 32 piece orchestra . 这是一个六岁的孩子为一个 三十二管弦乐团所创作的一曲音乐
composing:n.组成;[印刷]排字;adj.起镇静作用的;v.组成;写作(compose的现在分词); orchestra:n.管弦乐队;乐队演奏处;
And this is what it sounds like. 它听起来是这样的
So, a six year old child. Okay? 一个六岁的孩子哦
Now, what does all this mean? 所有这些意味着什么呢?
What this suggests is that no one is an outside observer of nature. Okay? 这些暗示我们没有任何一个人是置身于自然界之外的观察者 是吗?
observer:n.观察员;观察者;观察家;观测者;
We are not defined by our central properties, by the bits that make us up. 我们并非由我们的中心特质所定义 也并非由组成我们的点点滴滴所定义
defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确;
We're defined by our environment and our interaction with that environment -- by our ecology. 我们是由我们周边的环境和我们与之的互动而定义的-- 即我们的生态
interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;
And that ecology is necessarily relative , historical and empirical . 而这个生态也必定是相对的, 历史的和经验的。
necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地; relative:adj.相对的;有关系的;成比例的;n.亲戚;相关物;[语]关系词;亲缘植物; historical:adj.历史的;史学的;基于史实的; empirical:adj.经验主义的,完全根据经验的;实证的;
So what I'd like to finish with is this over here. 我想要以此作结
Because what I've been trying to do is really celebrate uncertainty . 因为迄今我所尝试都是在歌颂不确定性
uncertainty:n.不确定,不可靠;
Because I think only through uncertainty is there potential for understanding. 因为我认为只有通过不确定性才会有潜力去理解
potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
So, if some of you are still feeling a bit too certain, 所以,如果你们其中的一些人仍然觉得过于确定
I'd like to do this one. 我想要做这件事情
So, if we have the lights down. 让我们把灯熄灭
And what we have here -- 这里我们有--
Can everyone see 25 purple surfaces on your left, and 25, call it yellowish , surfaces on your right? 是否每位都能看见这二十五个紫色的面 在你的左边 和二十五个淡黄色的面在你的右边?
purple:n.紫色;紫袍;v.变紫;使成紫色;adj.紫色的;华丽的文辞; yellowish:adj.微黄色的,淡黄色的;
So, now, what I want to do: 那么,现在我想要做的是:
I'm going to put the middle nine surfaces here under yellow illumination by simply putting a filter behind them. 我将把中间的这九个面放在这里 在黄色的照明之下 只要简单地在它们后面放个滤片
filter:n.滤波器;过滤器;滤光器;滤声器;v.过滤;渗入;(用程序)筛选;缓行;
All right. Now you can see that changes the light that's coming through there. Right? 好了,现在你可以看到那使灯光改变了 光从那里出来,对吧?
Because now the light is going through a yellowish filter and then a purplish filter. 因为现在灯光通过一个淡黄色的滤片透出来 然后是一个紫色的滤片
purplish:adj.略带紫色的;
I'm going to do this opposite on the left here. 我将在左边做相反的事情
I'm going to put the middle nine under purplish light. 我将把中间这九个面放在紫色的灯光下
Now, some of you will notice that the consequence is that the light coming through those middle nine on the right, or your left, is exactly the same as the light coming through the middle nine on your right. 现在,你们其中的一些人将会觉察到其结果就是 从中间这九个面透出来的光 或者是在你的左侧 正好和从你右边透过中间九个面的光 完全相同
consequence:n.结果;重要性;推论;
Agreed? Yes? 同意吗?是的?
Okay. So they are physically the same. 好的,所以说它们实际上是完全相同的
Let's pull the covers off. 让我们拉掉这个罩子
Now remember, you know the middle nine are exactly the same. 现在请记住, 你知道这中间的九个面是完全相同的
Do they look the same? No. 它们看起来相同吗?不。
The question is, "Is that an illusion?" 问题来了,“那是个错觉吗?”
And I'll leave you with that. 我把这个问题留给大家
So, thank you very much. 非常感谢。
(Applause) (掌声)