|
|
BartonSeaver_2010Z-_可持续的海味_让我们变得明智些_
|
Sustainability represents the what, the where and the how of what is caught. |
持续性象征着 什么,何地以及 什么东西是如何被捕捉的。 |
Sustainability:n.持续性;永续性;能维持性; represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数)
|
The who and the why are what's important to me. |
谁以及其原因对我来说是最重要的。 |
I want to know the people behind my dinner choices. |
我想知道在我们餐桌背后的那些人。 |
I want to know how I impact them. |
我想知道我如何影响他们。 |
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
I want to know how they impact me. |
我想知道他们如何影响我。 |
I want to know why they fish. |
我想知道他们为什么捕鱼。 |
I want to know how they rely on the water's bounty for their living. |
我想知道他们是如何借助于水的慷慨赠与 而生活的。 |
rely:vi.依靠;信赖; bounty:n.慷慨; vt.发给…奖金等; vi.以赏金等形式发放;
|
Understanding all of this enables us to shift our perception of seafood away from a commodity to an opportunity to restore our ecosystem . |
理解了这些可以将我们 对海味的认识从 一种商品 提升到一种机会 再上升为恢复我们生态系统的观念。 |
enables:v.使得; (enable的第三人称单数) shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换; perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力; seafood:n.海鲜;海味;海产食品; commodity:n.商品,货物;日用品; restore:v.恢复;修复;恢复(某种情况或感受);使复原; ecosystem:n.生态系统;
|
It allows for us to celebrate the seafood that we're also so fortunate to eat. |
它(这种观念)允许我们赞美 那些我们幸运地可以吃到的海味。 |
fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的;
|
So what do we call this? |
那么我们称这为什么呢? |
I think we call it restorative seafood. |
我认为我们可以称它为恢复的海味。 |
restorative:n.[药]恢复药,滋补剂;adj.滋补的,有助于复元的;恢复健康的;
|
Where sustainability is the capacity to endure and maintain , restorative is the ability to replenish and progress. |
可持续性是一种 持续并且保持的能力, 恢复是可以补给并促进的一种能力。 |
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; endure:v.忍受;忍耐;持续;持久; maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见); replenish:vt.补充,再装满;把…装满;给…添加燃料;
|
Restorative seafood allows for an evolving and dynamic system and acknowledges our relationship with the ocean as a resource , suggesting that we engage to replenish the ocean and to encourage its resiliency . |
恢复海鲜将提供一个逐步发展且富有活力的系统 并且承认我们与海洋 作为一种源泉的关系, 建议我们应着手去补充海洋 并且激发它的恢复力。 |
evolving:v.(使)逐渐形成,逐渐演变;进化形成;(evolve的现在分词) dynamic:n.动力; adj.充满活力的; resource:n.资源;资料;才智;财力;v.向…提供资金(或设备); engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定; resiliency:n.弹性;跳回;
|
It is a more hopeful, it is a more human, and is a more useful way of understanding our environment. |
它是一个更加富有希望,更人性化 并且是一个更有效的理解我们环境的方式。 |
Wallet guides -- standard issue by lots in the marine conservation world -- are very handy; they're a wonderful tool. |
消费手册--由 海洋保护组织统一发行-- 方便携带,是很不错的工具书。 |
standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; marine:adj.海的;海产的;海生的;海船的;n.(尤指美国或英国皇家)海军陆战队士兵; conservation:n.保存,保持;保护;
|
Green, yellow and red lists [of] seafood species . |
以绿色,黄色和红色来划分海鲜的种类。 |
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
|
The association is very easy: buy green, don't buy red, think twice about yellow. |
很容易联想得到:买绿色的,不买红色的, 对黄色的要再三考虑。 |
association:n.协会;关联;联想;交往; think twice:再三考虑;重新考虑;
|
But in my mind, it's really not enough to just eat green list. |
但是在我看来, 限制再仅食用绿色类的海鲜是不足够的。 |
We can't sustain this without the measure of our success really changing the fate of the species in the yellow and the red. |
在无法预测我们 改变黄色和红色类物种的成功率的情况下 我们是不能够维护海洋的(可持续性的)。 |
But what if we eat only in the green list? |
但是如果我们仅仅食用绿色类的呢? |
what if:如果…怎么办?
|
You've got pole-caught yellowfin tuna here -- comes from sustainable stocks . |
这些用钓竿捕捉的黄鳍金枪鱼也属于绿色类-- 来自于可持续存储。 |
yellowfin:n.黄鳍金枪鱼; sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的; stocks:n.[金融]股票; v.采购;
|
Pole caught -- no bycatch. |
用钓竿捕捉--并非付渔获物。 |
Pole:n.磁极;电极;柱子;杆子;v.用篙撑船;摆船;
|
Great for fishermen. Lots of money. Supporting local economies . |
对渔民来说极大的好处。很多的钱。扶植地方经济。 |
economies:n.经济;经济结构;节约;(economy的复数)
|
But it's a lion of the sea. It's a top predator . |
但这(黄鳍金枪鱼)相当于海洋里的狮子。它是种顶位捕食者。 |
predator:n.[动]捕食者;[动]食肉动物;掠夺者;
|
What's the context of this meal? |
这顿饭的背景是什么呢? |
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
|
Am I sitting down in a steakhouse to a 16-ounce portion of this? |
我现在正坐在一个牛排餐厅食用一个十六盎司分量的这个(黄鳍金枪鱼)。 |
steakhouse:n.牛排餐厅; portion:n.部分;(食物的)一份;分担的责任;v.把…分成若干份(或部分);
|
Do I do this three times a week? |
是否我每个星期都这样食用三次呢? |
I might still be in the green list, but I'm not doing myself, or you, or the oceans any favors. |
我应该还是限制在食用绿色类的海鲜, 但是我自己,或者是你, 并没有对这些海洋起到任何帮助。 |
The point is that we have to have a context, a gauge for our actions in all this. |
重点是我们需要一个背景, 一个度量我们行为的标准。 |
gauge:n.计量器;标准尺寸;容量规格;vt.测量;估计;给…定规格;
|
Example: I've heard that red wine is great for my health -- antioxidants and minerals -- heart healthy. |
例如:我听说过红酒有助于健康-- 含有抗氧化剂和矿物质--有益于心脏。 |
antioxidants:n.[助剂]抗氧化剂;抗氧化物(antioxidant的复数形式); minerals:n.矿物;矿产,矿产品(mineral的复数);矿物质;
|
That's great! I love red wine! |
太好了!我爱红酒! |
I'm going to drink so much of it. I'm going to be so healthy. |
我要喝很多很多的红酒。那样我就能变的非常的健康。 |
Well, how many bottles is it before you tell me that I have a problem? |
那么,在我成为酒鬼之前究竟 我应该喝多少瓶才有助于健康呢? |
Well folks, we have a protein problem. |
朋友们,我们有一个蛋白质问题。 |
protein:n.蛋白质;
|
We have lost this sensibility when it regards our food, and we are paying a cost. |
当涉及到我们的食物时, 我们便丢失了这种敏感度, 我们于是付出代价。 |
sensibility:n.感情;感受能力;鉴赏力;
|
The problem is we are hiding that cost beneath the waves. |
问题是我们在隐藏那些代价。 |
beneath:prep.在…之下;adv.在下方;
|
We are hiding that cost behind the social acceptance of expanding waistlines . |
我们将那些代价隐藏在 社会对我们日益膨胀的胃口的默许。 |
acceptance:n.验收;接受;认可;承认; expanding:v.扩大,增加,增强细谈;详述;(expand的现在分词) waistlines:n.腰围;腰身部分;
|
And we are hiding that cost behind monster profits . |
我们将那些代价隐藏在巨大的利润背后。 |
monster:n.怪物;恶魔;庞然大物;adj.巨大的; profits:n.利润; v.获益; (profit的第三人称单数和复数)
|
So the first thing about this idea of restorative seafood is that it really takes into account our needs. |
因此关于恢复海味的第一件事情, 就是认真地考虑我们的需要。 |
Restorative seafood might best be represented not by Jaws, or by Flipper , or the Gordon's fisherman, but rather, by the Jolly Green Giant . |
恢复海味似乎是最具代表性的, 并非由电影“大白鲨”(Jaws),“海豚的故事” (Flipper),又或者是戈东的渔人牌海鲜罐头(注:Gordon*s fisherman是美国的冷冻海鲜食品公司), 而更像是绿巨人(注:Jolly Green Giant是美国通用磨坊食品公司旗下的一个蔬果品牌) |
represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词) Flipper:n.鳍状肢;鳍;烤饼;胖听罐头;vi.靠鳍足(或鸭甲板)行动;adj.无礼的; Jolly:adj.愉快的;高兴的;adv.很;非常;v.甘愿或渴望做某事;怂恿;n.旅游;游玩 Giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的
|
Vegetables: they might yet save the oceans. |
蔬菜: 他们仍然可以挽救海洋。 |
Sylvia likes to say that blue is the new green. |
西尔维娅喜欢说蓝色是新的绿色。 |
Well I'd like to respectfully submit that broccoli green might then be the new blue. |
而我喜欢恭敬地认为 西兰花绿色则是新的蓝色。 |
respectfully:adv.尊敬地; submit:vt.使服从;主张;呈递;vi.提交;服从; broccoli:n.花椰菜;西兰花;
|
We must continue to eat the best seafood possible, if at all. |
我们必须持续地食用 那些最佳的海产品 |
But we also must eat it with a ton of vegetables. |
但是我们也必须同蔬菜一起食用它们。 |
The best part about restorative seafood though is that it comes on the half-shell with a bottle of Tabasco and lemon wedges . |
恢复海味最好之处在于尽管 它被盛在一半的贝壳里 和一瓶塔巴斯科辣酱和柠檬片一起(端上餐桌)。 |
Tabasco:n.塔巴斯科(墨西哥东南部的州);塔巴斯科辣酱油; lemon:n.蹩脚货;柠檬;青柠色;adj.浅黄色的;柠檬色的; wedges:n.楔形; v.楔入;
|
It comes in a five-ounce portion of tilapia breaded with Dijon mustard and crispy , broiled breadcrumbs and a steaming pile of pecan quinoa pilaf with crunchy , grilled broccoli |
一个五盎司份量的罗非鱼 以Dijon芥末浇汁沾上烘烤的香脆的面包屑 和一盘蒸的核桃加藜麦肉饭 外加上脆生生的烤西兰花 |
tilapia:n.罗非鱼; breaded:adj.涂面包屑后烹制的;v.在…外面裹上面包屑(bread的过去分词); Dijon:n.第戎(法国东部城市); mustard:n.芥末;芥菜;深黄色;强烈的兴趣; crispy:adj.酥脆的;易碎的;干净利落的;生气勃勃的; broiled:adj.烧烤;炙的,焙的;烤过的; breadcrumbs:n.面包屑; pile:n.桩;堆;摞;桩柱;v.堆放;摞起;叠放;放置; pecan:n.美洲山核桃;美洲山核桃树; quinoa:n.藜麦;奎奴亚藜(原产于安第斯山脉地区);印第安麦; pilaf:n.肉饭(由大米加鱼或肉及调料煮成); crunchy:adj.易碎的;发嘎吱嘎吱声的; grilled:adj.装有栅格的; v.烧烤; (grill的过去分词和过去式)
|
so soft and sweet and charred and smoky on the outside with just a hint of chili flake . |
外表是如此之松软香甜和略带烟熏 和一点的辣椒片儿。 |
charred:adj.烧焦的; v.(使)烧黑,烧焦; (char的过去分词和过去式) smoky:adj.冒烟的;烟熏味的;熏着的;呛人的;烟状的; hint:n.提示;暗示;迹象;窍门;v.暗示;透露;示意; chili:n.红辣椒,辣椒; flake:vi.剥落;成片状剥落;n.小薄片;火花;
|
Whooo! |
哇哦! |
This is an easy sell. |
这个一定是很抢手的商品。 |
And the best part is all of those ingredients are available to every family at the neighborhood Walmart . |
这个最大的优点就是所有的这些调料对于每个个家庭 来说都是很容易在家附近的沃尔玛找到的。 |
ingredients:n.成分;(尤指烹饪)原料;(成功的)要素;(ingredient的复数) neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; Walmart:n.沃尔玛(世界连锁零售企业);
|
Jamie Oliver is campaigning to save America from the way we eat. |
杰米 奥利弗正在发起一个 从我们的饮食之道来拯救美国的运动。 |
Sylvia is campaigning to save the oceans from the way we eat. |
西尔维娅正在组织一个 从我们的饮食之道来拯救海洋的运动。 |
There's a pattern here. |
这里有一个规律。 |
Forget nuclear holocaust; it's the fork that we have to worry about. |
忘记了核武器大屠杀, 其实是我们应该担心的。 |
nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的;
|
We have ravaged our Earth and then used the food that we've sourced to handicap ourselves in more ways than one. |
我们毁灭了我们的地球 然后将作为源泉的食物 在各个方面阻碍我们自己。 |
ravaged:v.毁坏;损坏;严重损害;(ravage的过去分词和过去式) sourced:adj.有来源的; v.发起; handicap:n.障碍;不利条件,不利的因素;vt.妨碍,阻碍;使不利;
|
So I think we have this whole eating thing wrong. |
因此我认为我们的饮食之道是大错特错。 |
And so I think it's time we change what we expect from our food. |
因此我认为现在正是 我们改变对食物的期待的时刻。 |
Sustainability is complicated but dinner is a reality that we all very much understand. |
持续性是复杂的, 但是晚餐却是很容易理解的一个现实。 |
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
|
So let's start there. |
所以,让我们从晚餐开始。 |
There's been a lot of movement recently in greening our food systems. |
最近有很多关于绿化我们的食物系统的运动。 |
recently:adv.最近;新近;
|
Dan Barber and Alice Waters are leading passionately the green food Delicious Revolution . |
丹 巴伯和爱丽丝 沃特斯 热烈地倡导绿色食品“美味革命”运动。 |
Barber:vt.为…理发;修整;n.理发师;vi.当理发师; passionately:adv.热情地;强烈地;激昂地; Revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环;
|
But green foods often represent a way for us to disregard the responsibility as eaters . |
但是绿色食品常常代表 着一种 忽视食用者的方式。 |
disregard:vt.忽视;不理;漠视;不顾;n.忽视;不尊重; eaters:n.食者;
|
Just because it comes from a green source doesn't mean we can treat it with disregard on the plate. |
仅仅是因为这来自于一种绿色的源头 并不意味着我们可以忽视盛在盘子里的食物。 |
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
|
We have eco-friendly shrimp . |
我们有环保的虾。 |
eco-friendly:adj.对生态环境友好的,不妨害生态环境的;不损坏生态环境的; shrimp:n.虾;小虾;矮小的人;vi.捕虾;adj.有虾的;虾制的;
|
We can make them; we have that technology . |
我们可以做成(环保的),我们拥有那种科学技术。 |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
But we can never have any eco-friendly all-you-can-eat shrimp buffet . |
但是我们永远都不可能拥有全部环保的吃到饱虾自助餐。 |
buffet:n.自助餐; vt.对…打来打去; adj.快餐式的
|
It doesn't work. |
它不起作用。 |
Heart-healthy dinner is a very important part of restorative seafood. |
有利心脏健康的晚餐是 恢复海味十分重要的一部分。 |
While we try to manage declining marine populations, the media's recommending increased consumption of seafood. |
当我们试图管理减少的海洋生物, 媒体的推荐使得海味消费增加。 |
declining:v.减少;下降;衰弱;谢绝;婉言拒绝;(decline的现在分词) recommending:v.推荐,举荐;介绍;劝告;建议;使受欢迎;(recommend的现在分词) consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨;
|
Studies say that tens of thousands of American grandmothers, grandfathers, mothers and fathers might be around for another birthday if we included more seafood. |
研究证明上万名 美国老奶奶,老爷爷,妈妈和爸爸 可以活得更久些, 如果我们食用更多的海味。 |
That's a reward I am not willing to pass up. |
这是个我不愿意去放弃的奖励。 |
reward:n.[劳经]报酬;报答;酬谢;v.[劳经]奖励;奖赏;
|
But it's not all about the seafood. |
但是这并仅仅是海味。 |
It's about the way that we look at our plates. |
这是如何看待地球的方式。 |
As a chef, I realize the easiest thing for me to do is reduce the portion sizes on my plate. |
作为一名厨师,我意识到我能做的最简单的事情 就是减少盘子里的分量。 |
A couple things happened. |
一系列的事情接而发生了。 |
I made more money. |
我挣更多的钱。 |
People started buying appetizers and salads, because they knew they weren't going to fill up on the entrees alone. |
人们开始购买开胃品和沙拉, 因为他们知道只食用主菜是不能填饱肚子的。 |
appetizers:n.开胃菜;头盘餐前小品;头盘(appetizer的复数); entrees:n.主菜,旁碟(entree的复数形式);入场许可;
|
People spent more time engaging in their meals, engaging with each other over their meals. |
人们消费更多的时间在晚餐上, 花更多的时间在进餐者上。 |
engaging:adj.有趣的; v.吸引住(注意力、兴趣); (engage的现在分词)
|
People got, in short, more of what they came there for even though they got less protein. |
人们得到,简而言之,更多地它们为之而来的东西, 尽管他们得到较少的分量。 |
They got more calories over the course of a diversified meal. |
他们得到比起多种多样的晚餐更多的热量。 |
calories:n.[物]卡路里(热量单位,calorie的复数); diversified:adj.多样化的; v.增加…的品种; (diversify的过去式和过去分词)
|
They got healthier. I made more money. |
他们变得更健康。我赚更多的钱。 |
This is great. |
这是很棒的事情。 |
Environmental consideration was served with every plate, but it was served with a heaping mound of consideration for human interests at the same time . |
对环境的关心供应到每一个盘子上, 但是它同时也提供一个巨大量的 对人类利益的关心。 |
consideration:n.顾及;报酬;斟酌;仔细考虑; mound:n.小丘;小山岗;一堆;许多;大量; at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
|
One of the other things we did was begin to diversify the species that we served -- small silverfish , anchovies , mackerel , sardines were uncommon . |
我们做的另一件事情就是 将我们所提供的品种多样化-- 小的衣鱼, 鳀科,鲭鱼,沙丁鱼是比较常见的。 |
diversify:vt.使多样化,使变化;增加产品种类以扩大; silverfish:n.蠹虫;银色的鱼; anchovies:n.凤尾鱼,鳀鱼;小银鱼(anchovy的复数形式); mackerel:n.鲭(产于北大西洋);马鲛鱼; sardines:n.沙丁鱼(sardine的复数形式);沙丁油鱼; uncommon:adj.不寻常的;罕有的;adv.非常地;
|
Shellfish , mussels , oysters , clams , tilapia, char -- these were the common species. |
贝类,蚌类,牡蛎, 蛤蜊,罗非鱼,嘉鱼--这些都是常见的品种。 |
Shellfish:n.甲壳类动物;贝类等有壳的水生动物; mussels:n.[无脊椎]贻贝(mussel的复数);[水产]淡菜;双壳类; oysters:n.牡蛎:生蚝: clams:n.蛤蚌;沉默寡言的人(clam的复数形式);
|
We were directing tastes towards more resilience , more restorative options . |
我们引导人们的品位 向着更加富有弹性,更加易于恢复的选择。 |
resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力; options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
|
This is what we need to favor. |
这才是我们应该赞同的。 |
This is what the green list says. |
这才是那些绿色类品种告诉我们的。 |
But this is also how we can actually begin to restore our environment. |
但是这也正是实际上我们应该如何修复我们的环境。 |
But what of those big predators , those fashionable species, that green list tuna that I was talking about earlier? |
但这与我之前谈到的那些大型掠食者, 那些流行的品种, 那些绿色类金枪鱼又有什么关系呢? |
predators:n.捕食性动物;实行弱肉强食的人(或机构);掠夺者;(predator的复数) fashionable:adj.流行的;时髦的;上流社会的;
|
Well, if you must, I have a recipe for you. |
如果你必须要的话,那么我有一个食谱给你。 |
recipe:n.食谱;方法;诀窍;烹饪法;
|
It pretty much works with any big fish in the ocean, so here we go. |
这作用于海洋中的任何一种大型鱼类, 那么让我来看一看。 |
Start with a 16-ounce portion of big fish. |
从一个十六盎司分量的大鱼开始。 |
Get a knife. Cut it into four portions . |
拿把刀。把它切成四等份。 |
portions:n.部分; v.把…分成若干份(或部分); (portion的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Put it on four plates. |
放在四个盘子上。 |
Mound up those four plates with vegetables and then open up the very best bottle of Burgundy you have, light the candles and celebrate it. |
在那四个盘子上堆放上蔬菜 然后开启一瓶勃艮第葡萄酒, 点亮蜡烛然后开始庆祝。 |
Burgundy:n.深的紫红色;
|
Celebrate the opportunity you have to eat this. |
庆祝你能有幸吃到这样的美味。 |
Invite your friends and neighbors over and repeat once a year, maybe. |
邀请你的朋友和邻居 一年来这样庆祝一次, 也许。 |
I expect a lot from food. |
我对食物期待很多。 |
I expect health and joy and family and community . |
我期待健康 愉快以及家庭和社区。 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
I expect that producing ingredients, preparing dishes and eating meals is all part of the communion of human interests. |
我期待着生产(烹调的)原料, 准备菜肴和享受美味 都是这圣餐的一部分。 |
communion:n.共享;恳谈;宗教团体;圣餐仪式;
|
I was lucky enough that my father was a fantastic cook. |
我很幸运因为我的父亲是个很棒的厨师。 |
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
|
And he taught me very early on about the privilege that eating represents. |
在我很小的时候他就教会我 享受美食所带来的特权。 |
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免;
|
I remember well the meals of my childhood . |
我清晰地记得童年时的每一餐。 |
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
|
They were reasonable portions of protein served with copious quantities of vegetables and small amounts of starch , usually rice. |
它们有由大量的蔬菜所 提供的合理定量的蛋白质 和少量的淀粉,通常是大米。 |
reasonable:adj.合理的,公道的;通情达理的; copious:adj.丰富的;很多的;多产的; quantities:n.数量;数目;大量;大宗;(quantity的复数) starch:n.淀粉;刻板,生硬;vt.给…上浆;
|
This is still how I largely eat today. |
直到今天我基本上还是这样的饮食。 |
largely:adv.主要地;大部分;大量地;
|
I get sick when I go to steakhouses . |
我去牛排店会觉得很不舒服。 |
steakhouses:n.牛排餐厅;
|
I get the meat sweats. |
吃肉会令我出汗。 |
It's like a hangover from protein. |
这就像是 |
hangover:n.宿醉;残留物;遗物;
|
It's disgusting . |
很恶心。 |
disgusting:adj.令人不快的;令人厌恶的;v.使作呕;使厌恶;使反感;(disgust的现在分词)
|
But of all the dire news that you'll hear and that you have heard about the state of our oceans, |
但是所有这些你将听到的可怕消息 以及你已经听到的关于我们的海洋, |
dire:adj.可怕的;悲惨的;极端的;
|
I have the unfortunate burden of delivering to you possibly the very worst of it and that is this whole time your mother was right. |
很不幸地我有这个责任来传达给你 可能是比那更糟地, 这一次, 你妈妈是正确的。 |
burden:n.负担;责任;船的载货量;v.使负担;烦扰;装货于;
|
Eat your vegetables. |
多吃点蔬菜。 |
It's pretty straightforward . |
这很直截了当。 |
straightforward:adj.简单的;坦率的;明确的;径直的;adv.直截了当地;坦率地;
|
So what are we looking for in a meal? |
那么我们究竟向每一餐索取什么呢? |
Well for health, I'm looking for wholesome ingredients that are good for my body. |
为了健康,我寻找有益健康的原料 对我的身体有益的。 |
wholesome:adj.健全的;有益健康的;合乎卫生的;审慎的;
|
For joy, I'm looking for butter and salt and sexy things that make things taste less like penance . |
为了愉悦,我寻求黄油和盐 和任何原料能够另品尝食物不那么像自我惩罚。 |
penance:vt.使…以苦行赎罪;n.苦修;忏悔;
|
For family, I'm looking for recipes that genuflect to my own personal histories. |
为了家庭,我寻找 能够服从于我个人阅历的食谱。 |
recipes:n.烹饪法;食谱;方法;秘诀;诀窍;(recipe的复数) genuflect:vi.屈服;跪拜(尤指做宗教仪式时); personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
|
For community though, we start at the very beginning. |
考虑到社区,我从零开始。 |
There's no escaping the fact that everything we eat has a global impact. |
没有例外地 我们所食用的所有东西都会影响全球。 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
|
So try and learn as best you can what that impact is and then take the first step to minimize it. |
所以尝试学习这些影响 然后为了减少这些影响开始你的第一步。 |
minimize:v.使减少到最低限度;降低;贬低;使显得不重要;
|
We've seen an image of our blue planet, our world bank . |
我们已经看到了一副蓝色星球(地球)的图片, 我们的世界银行。 |
world bank:n.世界银行(向处于困境需要资助的成员国贷款的国际机构);
|
But it is more than just a repository of our resources; it's also the global geography of the communion we call dinner. |
但是它不仅仅是一个保存我们资源的仓库; 它也是被我们叫做盛宴的 世界地理。 |
repository:n.贮藏室,仓库;知识库;智囊团;
|
So if we all take only what we need, then we can begin to share the rest, we can begin to celebrate, we can begin to restore. |
因此如果我们只谈些我们需要的, 我们于是共享剩余的, 我们可以开始庆祝, 我们可以开始恢复。 |
We need to savor vegetables. |
我们需要品尝蔬菜。 |
savor:vt.尽情享受; vi.有…的滋味; n.滋味;
|
We need to savor smaller portions of seafood. |
我们需要品尝小份量的海味。 |
And we need to save dinner. |
我们还需要节约晚餐。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |