返回首页

BarbaraJKing_2019-_动物王国的悲痛与爱_-

I'd like to tell you today about an orca named Tahlequah. 今天我要讲一头虎鲸的故事, 她名叫塔勒阔,
orca:n.逆戟鲸(等于Orcinusorca);类逆戟鲸;兽人;魔鬼;
Tahlequah is also known as J35 to scientists, because she swims with the J Pod in the Salish Sea. 科学家们也叫它 J35, 因为她和代号为 J 的鲸群 一起生活在赛利希海域,
These are the waters off of British Columbia and Washington State. 这片水域毗邻 加拿大卑诗省和美国华盛顿州。
Now, last year, in July 2018, she was well along in her 17-month pregnancy , and scientists were very excited because no baby had survived in this pod for three long years. 去年,也就是 2018 年 7 月, 怀有 17 个月身孕的她一切正常, 科学家们都特别兴奋, 因为在长达 3 年的时间里, 这个鲸群的宝宝都夭折了。
pregnancy:n.怀孕;丰富,多产;意义深长;
Now, orcas are also known as killer whales. 虎鲸,又被称为逆戟鲸(杀手鲸)。
orcas:n.逆戟鲸;兽人(orca的复数);
They're profoundly social and profoundly intelligent beings. 虎鲸是高度社会化、高智商动物,
profoundly:adv.深刻地;深深地;极度地; intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的
And scientists are very interested in their behavior, because in their social networks, they share habits, information and even affection. 科学家们对它们的行为很感兴趣, 因为它们在社交网中 分享习性、信息、 甚至还分享情感,
They create true cultures of the ocean. 它们创造了真正的海洋文化。
But this pod has been in trouble. 但这个鲸群遇到了困难,
The Chinook salmon that the orcas favor has been way down in the region , and pollution has been up. 该水域里虎鲸喜食的 奇努克鲑鱼数量骤减, 而且水污染在持续恶化。
Chinook:n.切努克人(北美印第安之一族);切努克语; salmon:n.鲑鱼;大马哈鱼;鲑肉色;鲑鱼肉;橙红色,粉橙色;adj.浅澄色的; region:n.地区;范围;部位;
But on July 24th, Tahlequah gave birth to a daughter, and scientists were so excited by this development. 而在 7 月 24 日, 塔勒阔生了个女儿, 科学家们对此进展兴奋不已。
But unfortunately , the same day -- in fact, shortly after birth -- the calf died. 但不幸的是,就在同一天—— 其实,就在出生后不久, 虎鲸宝宝就夭折了。
unfortunately:adv.不幸地; calf:n.小牛;牛犊;腓肠;小腿肚;
Well, what happened next electrified animal lovers across the world, because Tahlequah refused to let her baby slip off into the water. 然而,接下来发生的一幕 震惊了全世界的动物爱好者, 因为塔勒阔拒绝 让宝宝尸体沉入水底。
electrified:adj.通电的; v.使电气化; (electrify的过去分词和过去式) lovers:n.情人(lover的复数形式); slip:v.溜;下降;滑落;n.纸条;衬裙;
She kept it on her body and she swam with it. 她背上驮着尸体一起游泳,
If it did fall off, she would dive and rescue it, and she battled stiff currents to do this. 如果尸体滑落, 她会潜水再把尸体救起, 全然不顾激流的危险。
dive:n.潜水;跳水;俯冲;猛冲;v.猛冲;(头朝下)跳入水中;[体]跳水(运动); rescue:n.救援;抢救;营救;获救;v.抢救;营救;援救; stiff:adj.呆板的; v.僵硬地; n.死尸; v.诈骗;
Now, she kept this behavior up for 17 days, and during this time, she swam over 1,000 miles. 她驮着宝宝的尸体 游了整整 17 天, 一共游了 1000 多英里,
At that point, she let the little baby slip off into the water. 那时,她才让小宝宝 从她背上滑落、坠入水里。
So today, Tahlequah swims on with the J Pod, but her grief still moves me. 今天,塔勒阔 依然跟随着 J 鲸群, 但她的悲痛依然感动着我。
grief:n.悲痛;忧伤;不幸;
And I do believe that "grief" is the right word to use. 我深信用“悲痛”这个词不为过,
I believe that grief is the right word to use for numerous animals who mourn the dead. 我用“悲痛”这个词, 是因为无数动物 会哀悼死去的同类,
numerous:adj.许多的,很多的; mourn:v.哀悼;忧伤;服丧;
They may be friends or mates or relatives . 死者可能是它们的朋友、 伙伴或亲戚。
mates:n.朋友; v.交配; relatives:n.亲戚;亲属;同类事物;(relative的复数)
Because these visible cues , these behavioral cues , tell us something about an animal's emotional state. 因为这些可见的行为线索 告诉我们动物情感状态的信息。
visible:adj.明显的;看得见的;现有的;可得到的;n.可见物;进出口贸易中的有形项目; cues:n.开端,线索;提示,关键;球杆;诱因(cue的复数形式); behavioral:adj.行为的; emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的;
Now, for the last seven years, 在过去的 7 年里,
I've been working to document examples of animal grief -- in birds, in mammals , in domesticated animals and in wild animals -- and I believe in the reality of animal grief. 我一直在记录动物悲痛的例子—— 有鸟儿的、哺乳动物的, 家养动物的和野生动物的—— 我相信动物的 悲痛情感真实存在。
mammals:n.哺乳动物;(mammal的复数) domesticated:adj.家养的; v.驯养; (domesticate的过去分词和过去式)
Now, I say it this way because I need to acknowledge to you right up front that not all scientists agree with me. 我这样说, 是因为我必须事先说明 并非所有科学家都同意我的观点。
And part of the reason, I think, is because of what I call the "a-word." 我觉得,部分原因 是因为我所说的“A-单词”。
The a-word is anthropomorphism , and historically , it's been a big deterrent to recognizing animal emotions . 这个单词就是“拟人化“, 它一直被用来 区分动物情感。
anthropomorphism:n.神人同形同性论; historically:adv.历史上地;从历史观点上说; deterrent:adj.遏制的,威慑的;制止的;n.威慑;妨碍物;挽留的事物; recognizing:v.认识;认出;承认;接受,赞成(recognize的现在分词) emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数)
So, anthropomorphism is when we project onto other animals our capacities or our emotions. 当把我们的能力和感情 想象到动物身上时,就是拟人化。
capacities:n.能力;容量;性能;生产量(capacity的复数);
And we can all probably think of examples of this. 而且,我们都可能想出这样的例子。
Let's say we have a friend who tells us, "My cat understands everything I say." 假设一位朋友告诉我们说, “我的猫咪明白我说的所有事情。”
Or, "My dog, he's so sweet. 或,“我的狗太可爱了,
he ran right across the yard this morning towards a squirrel , and I know he just wants to play." 今天早上他穿过院子追松鼠, 我知道他只想玩而已。”
squirrel:n.松鼠;
Well, maybe. 好吧,也许吧;
Or maybe not. 或者,也许不是。
I'm skeptical about claims like those. 我对类似那样的说法表示怀疑。
skeptical:adj.怀疑的;怀疑论的,不可知论的; claims:v.宣称; n.声明; (claim的第三人称单数和复数)
But animal grief is different, because we're not trying to read an animal's mind. 但动物的悲痛与此不同, 因为,我们不是试图解读动物的想法,
We're looking at visible cues of behavior and trying to interpret them with some meaning. 我们在观察可见的行为线索, 并尝试用某种意义来解释它们。
interpret:v.诠释;说明;口译;把…理解为;
Now, it's true -- scientists often push back at me, and they'll say, "Ah, look, the animal might be stressed, or maybe the animal's just confused because his or her routine has been disrupted ." 这是真的 —— 科学家经常反驳我, 他们会说, “啊,看呐,这动物可能压力大, 抑或,这动物很困惑, 因为它的日常生活被打乱了。”
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式) disrupted:破坏;使瓦解;使分裂;使中断;使陷于混乱(disrupt的过去分词形式);
But I think that this overworry about anthropomorphism misses a fundamental point. 但我认为,这种 关于拟人化的过度担忧 忽略了一个基本点,
fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的;
And that is that animals can care very deeply for each other, maybe they even love each other. 就是动物们会深深关爱彼此, 甚至爱上彼此。
And when they do, a survivor's heart can be pierced by a death. 当他们爱彼此时, 一方的去世会伤透生者的心。
pierced:v.扎;刺破;穿透;穿过;透入;冲破;突破;(pierce的过去分词和过去式)
Let's face it: if we deny evolutionary continuity , we are really missing out on embracing part of ourselves. 我们看一看: 如果我们否认进化的连续性, 我们真会错过拥抱自己的一部分。
deny:v.否定,否认;拒绝给予;拒绝…的要求; evolutionary:adj.进化的;发展的;渐进的; continuity:n.连续性;一连串;分镜头剧本; embracing:n.拥抱;v.拥抱,包含;(embrace的现在分词)
So yes, I believe in the reality of animal grief, and I also think that if we recognize it, we can make the world a better place for animals, a kinder place for animals. 所以是的,我相信动物悲伤的现实, 我也认为如果我们认识到它, 就能让这个世界 成为更适合动物的地方, 一个对动物更友善的地方。
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
So let me tell you a little bit more about animal grief. 容我多告诉你一些 关于动物悲伤的事情,
I'm going to start in Kenya. 就从肯尼亚开始吧。
You see here there's an elephant named Eleanor who came one day with bruised legs, and she collapsed . 你看到这里有一头 名叫埃莉诺的大象, 一天她来的时候,腿上伤痕累累, 最终倒地不起。
bruised:v.(使)出现伤痕;撞伤;擦伤;打击;挫伤(bruise的过去分词和过去式) collapsed:v.倒塌,坍塌;倒下,昏倒;坐下;(collapse的过去分词和过去式)
You see on the left that another female named Grace came to her right away and, using her own trunk, propped her up, tried to get her up on her feet. 你看到在她左边, 另一头名叫格蕾丝的母象 立刻来到她身旁, 并用自己的鼻子扶起她, 试图让她站立起来。
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物; Grace:n.优雅;恩惠;魅力;慈悲;v.使优美; right away:立刻; propped:v.支撑;(prop的过去分词和过去式)
And she did succeed, but then Eleanor collapsed again. 她真帮埃莉诺站起来了, 但接着她又倒地不起。
At this point, Grace became visibly distressed , and she prodded the body, and she vocalized. 此时,格蕾丝明显很忧虑, 她捅了捅埃莉诺的身体, 并发出悲鸣。
visibly:adv.明显地;显然;看得见地; distressed:adj.烦恼的; v.使忧虑; (distress的过去分词和过去式) prodded:v.戳;杵;捅;催促;督促;鼓动(prod的过去分词和过去式)
Eleanor collapsed again, and unfortunately, she did die. 然而,埃莉诺又倒下了, 不幸的是,她最终还是死了。
What you see on the right is a female from another family named Maui, who came after the death, and she stayed at the body. 右边的大象是叫毛伊的母象, 她来自另一个大象家庭, 埃莉诺死后,她来到了这里, 并待在尸体旁边。
She held a vigil there, and she even rocked in distress over the body. 她在那里替埃莉诺守夜, 她甚至在尸体周围 悲伤地晃身顿足。
vigil:n.守夜;监视;不眠;警戒;
So the scientists watching the elephants kept close observation on Eleanor's body for seven days. 所以观察大象的科学家们 对埃莉诺的尸体 密切监视了七天。
observation:n.观察;观测;监视;(尤指据所见、所闻、所读而作的)评论;
And during those seven days, a parade of elephants came from five different families. 在那七天的时间里, 来自五个不同家庭的大象 结队来到了这里。
parade:n.阅兵;游行;炫耀;检阅;v.游行;展览;游行庆祝;游行示威;
Now, some were just curious , but others carried out behaviors that I really believe should be classified as grief. 有些大象只是感到好奇, 但其它大象的行为 让我真相信应被归类为悲伤。
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的; classified:adj.机密的; v.将…分类; (classify的过去分词和过去式)
So what does grief look like? 那么悲伤是怎样表现的呢?
It can be rocking, as I said , in distress. 像我说的,可能是 悲痛地剧烈晃动身体,
as I said:正如我所说的
It can also be social withdrawal , when an animal just takes himself or herself away from friends and stays by themselves, or a failure to eat or sleep properly, sometimes a depressed posture or vocalization . 也可能表现为不合群, 即一只动物离开朋友们 并独自生活, 或不能正常进食或睡眠, 有时做出沮丧的姿势或悲鸣。
withdrawal:n.撤退,收回;提款;取消;退股; depressed:adj.沮丧的; v.使抑郁; (depress的过去式和过去分词) posture:n.姿势;态度;看法;立场;处理方式;v.故作姿态;装样子 vocalization:n.发声,发音;发声法;
It can be very helpful for those of us studying this to be able to compare the behavior of a survivor before death and after death, because that increases the rigor of our interpretation . 对于我们这些研究动物情感的人来说, 能够比较死前和之后幸存者的行为 是非常有帮助的, 因为这增加了我们解释的严谨性。
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; rigor:n.严厉;精确;苛刻;僵硬; interpretation:n.解释;翻译;演出;
And I can explain this to you by talking about two ducks named Harper and Kohl . 通过谈论两只鸭子哈珀和科尔, 我可以向你解释这一点,
Kohl:n.眼影粉;化妆墨;
So we're into birds now. 所以我们现在要讨论鸟类了。
So Harper and Kohl were raised at a foie gras factory, and they were treated cruelly . 哈珀和科尔在一家鹅肝厂养大, 它们在那里受到残酷对待。
foie gras:n.[食]鹅肝酱; treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式) cruelly:adv.残酷地;非常;
Foie gras does involve force-feeding of birds. 鹅肝确实涉及强制喂养鸟类,
involve:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加; force-feeding:v.强迫进食(尤指把饮食灌进囚犯等口中);(force-feed的现在分词)
So this hurt their bodies, and their spirits were not in good shape, either. 强制喂养不但伤害它们的身体, 它们的精神状态也很糟糕。
But thankfully , they were rescued by a farm sanctuary in upstate New York. 但幸运的是,纽约州北部的 一个农场庇护救了它俩,
thankfully:adv.感谢地;感激地; rescued:v.营救;援救;抢救;(rescue的过去分词和过去式) sanctuary:n.避难所;至圣所;耶路撒冷的神殿; upstate:adj.北部的;偏僻的;n.州的北部;adv.在州的北部;在州内远离大城市地区;
And for four years, they stabilized , and they were fast friends. 四年来,他们安居于此, 并成为密友,
stabilized:adj.稳定的;减摇的;v.稳定(stabilize的过去分词);
They often took themselves to a small pond on the property. 经常一起去农场的一个小池塘。
pond:n.池塘;水池(尤指人工的);v.把…挖成池塘;堵(溪流)水成池;
Then, Kohl started to have really intractable pain in his legs, and it was clear to the sanctuary that he had to be euthanized humanely , and he was. 后来,科尔开始腿疼的厉害, 但无药可救, 庇护所必须实施安乐死 以减少他的痛苦, 最终,他被安乐死了。
intractable:adj.棘手的;难治的;倔强的;不听话的; euthanized:vt.使安乐死;对…施无痛致死术(等于euthanatize); humanely:adv.人道地;富人情地;慈悲地;
But then the sanctuary workers did a brilliant thing, because they brought Harper to the body to see. 接下来,庇护所工作人员 做了一件很棒的事情, 他们把哈珀带到科尔身旁, 看他的反应。
And at first, Harper prodded the body of his friend, but then he laid himself over it, and he stayed there for over an hour with his friend. 起初,哈珀戳了戳朋友的身体, 然后就趴在朋友的尸体上面, 陪着他的朋友 在那里待了一个多小时。
And in the weeks after, he had a hard time. 随后的几个星期里, 哈珀过得很艰难,
He would go back to that same pond where he had been with Kohl, and he didn't want any other friends. 他会回到以前 与科尔同去的小池塘, 并拒绝与其它朋友们在一起。
And within two months, he died as well. 不出 2 个月,哈珀也死了。
Now, I'm happy to say that not all grieving animals have this sorrowful outcome . 现在,我很高兴地说, 并非所有悲伤的动物 都有这种伤心的表现。
grieving:v.悲伤,悲痛,伤心;使悲伤;使伤心;(grieve的现在分词) sorrowful:adj.悲伤的,伤心的; outcome:n.结果,结局;成果;
Last summer, I flew to Boston to visit my adult daughter, Sarah. 去年夏天,我飞往波士顿 看望已成年的女儿莎拉,
Boston:n.波士顿(美国城市);
I was with my husband Charlie. 是和我先生查理同去的,
I really needed a break from work. 我确实需要休息一下。
But I succumbed , and I checked my work email. 但我还是忍不住 查看了工作邮件,
succumbed:v.屈服;屈从;抵挡不住(succumb的过去分词和过去式)
You know how that is. 你了解那种放不下工作的情况。
And there was a communication about a dejected donkey . 邮箱里有封关于一头 沮丧驴子的通讯,
dejected:adj.沮丧的,灰心的; donkey:n.毛驴;傻瓜;[动]驴;(非正式)笨蛋;
Now, as an anthropologist , this wasn't what I expected, but there it was, and I'm glad I read it. 作为一名人类学家, 按理说这不是我所期望的, 但它就在邮箱里, 我很高兴自己读了它。
anthropologist:n.人类学家;人类学者;
Because a donkey named Lena had gone to another farm sanctuary, this one in Alberta, Canada, as the only donkey there, and had trouble making friends for that reason. 一头叫莉娜的驴子 来到了位于加拿大 阿尔伯塔的另一个农场庇护所, 作为那里唯一的驴子, 莉娜很难交到朋友。
But she eventually did make friends with an older horse named Jake, and for three years they were inseparable . 但最终她和 叫扎克的老马成了朋友, 三年来,他俩形影不离。
eventually:adv.最后,终于; make friends with:与…交友; inseparable:adj.[数]不可分割的;不能分离的;n.不可分离的事物;形影不离的朋友;
But the reason the email came was that Jake, at age 32, the horse, had become gravely ill and had to be put down, and this is what was going on. 这封邮件是因为 已32岁高龄的扎克 病得很重,必须要杀死他 以减轻他的痛苦, 接下来就是所发生的一切。
gravely:adv.严重地;严肃地;严峻地;沉重地;
This is Lena standing on Jake's grave. 图中的莉娜站在扎克的墓上,
She didn't want to come in at night. She didn't want to come in for food. 她不想晚上来, 不想为了吃东西而来,
come in for:受到;接受;得到;
She didn't want to come in for water. 也不想为了喝水而来,
She pawed at the grave, she brayed in distress, and there she stood. 她用爪子刨着墓地、悲鸣不已, 她就站在那里。
pawed:vt.抓,扒;亲昵地抚摸;vi.用爪子抓;翻找;n.爪子;手;
So we talked and we brainstormed . 因此,我们一起讨论、头脑风暴,
brainstormed:adj.集思广益的;v.动脑筋;集思广益;想办法(brainstorm的过去分词);
What do you do for an animal like this? 对这样的动物,我们该怎么办?
And we talked about the role of time, of extra love and kindness from people and of urging her to make a new friend. 我们谈到了时间的作用、 人们对她的额外关爱和善意, 以及敦促她结交新朋友。
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外:
And here's where her trajectory does diverge from that of Harper the duck, because she did make a new friend, and sanctuary workers wrote back and said it worked out well. 自此,她的驴生与 鸭子哈珀的生活不同, 因为她真的结交了新朋友, 庇护所工作人员回信说, 新友情帮她改善了很多。
trajectory:n.[物]轨道,轨线;[航][军]弹道; diverge:vi.分歧;偏离;分叉;离题;vt.使偏离;使分叉;
Now sometimes, scientists supplement observation with hormonal analysis . 有些情况下, 科学家们用荷尔蒙激素分析 来补充观察结果。
supplement:v.补充;增补;n.补遗;增补(物);补充(物);添加物; hormonal:adj.荷尔蒙的,激素的; analysis:n.分析;分解;验定;
There's an example of a group of scientists in Botswana, who took fecal material from baboons and compared two different groups. 这个例子是博茨瓦纳一组科学家的, 他们提取狒狒粪便, 用来比较两个不同群体。
fecal:adj.排泄物的;残渣的;糟粕的; compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
The first group were females who had witnessed a predator attack and lost someone in that attack, and the second group were females who had witnessed an attack but had not lost someone. 第一组是雌性狒狒, 她们目睹了捕食者的袭击, 并在袭击中失去了一位成员, 第二组也是雌性狒狒, 她们虽目睹袭击,但无成员伤亡。
witnessed:v.当场看到,目击;见证;作证;(witness的过去式和过去分词) predator:n.[动]捕食者;[动]食肉动物;掠夺者;
And the stress hormones were way up in that first group. 第一组的压力荷尔蒙高出很多。
hormones:n.[生理]激素;荷尔蒙;性激素;荷尔蒙制剂(hormone的复数);
But here's the thing: the scientists didn't just call them "stressed baboons," 但事情是这样的: 科学家们并未 简单称她们“紧张的狒狒”,
they called them " bereaved baboons," 而是称她们为“丧亲的狒狒”,
bereaved:adj.丧失的; n.丧失亲人的人; vt.使丧失(bereave的过去式和过去分词);
and in part, that's because of the observations that they made. 部分原因是,他们 所做的观察导致了这样的称呼。
observations:n.观察,观察值;观察结果;(observation的复数形式);
For example, this mother-daughter pair were very close, and then the daughter was killed by a lion. 例如,这位妈妈和女儿很亲密, 之后,女儿被狮子杀害。
The mother removed herself from all her friends, from her grooming networks, and just stayed by herself for weeks -- bereavement -- and she then slowly recovered. 这位妈妈离开所有的朋友, 离开互梳毛发的圈子, 离群索居了几周的时间—— 丧亲之痛—— 之后她才慢慢恢复过来。
grooming:n.打扮;装束;刷洗;梳毛;v.擦洗;理毛;使作好准备;培养;(groom的现在分词) bereavement:n.丧友,丧亲;丧失;
So we have bereaved baboons. 所以,怀有丧亲之痛的 狒狒的确存在。
Will science tell us someday about bereaved bees? 将来,科学会告诉我们 也有丧亲之痛的蜜蜂吗?
Will we hear about frogs who mourn? 将来我们会听说青蛙也忧伤吗?
I don't think so, and I think the reason is because animals really need one-to-one , close relationships for that to happen. 我不那么认为,因为动物们真正需要一对一、 亲密无间的关系才会那样,
one-to-one:adj.一对一的;一一对应的;
I also know that circumstance matters, and personality matters. 我也知道这与环境有关、 与性格有关。
circumstance:n.环境,情况;事件;境遇; personality:n.性格;个性;人格;魅力;气质;名人;特色;
I have documented cats and dogs who grieve , our companion animals, but I also interacted with a woman who was extremely bothered because her dog wasn't grieving. 我记录了悲伤的猫和狗, 它们是我们的伴侣动物。 但我也和一位女士交流过, 因为她的狗没有悲伤让她很闹心。
cats and dogs:价值低的股票;杂物;(下雨)猛烈地;大量地; grieve:v.使悲伤,使苦恼;悲痛,哀悼; companion:n.同伴;伴侣;陪伴;手册;v.(与…)同行;(跟…)搭伴儿去; interacted:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的过去分词和过去式) extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; bothered:adj.烦(恼)的; v.使(某人)烦恼;
She said to me, "The first dog in the house has died. 她告诉我,“家里的第一条狗死了,
The second animal does not seem concerned , the second dog. 第二条狗看起来根本不在乎,
concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
What is wrong with him?" 他是不是有毛病?”
(Laughter) (笑声)
And as I listened to her, 当我听她讲述时,
I realized that this dog was now the only animal in the household , and as far as he was concerned, that was a pretty good deal. 就意识到,这条狗 现在是家里唯一的动物, 在他看来,他现在独享恩宠, 这个结果不错哦。
household:n.家庭;一家人;同住一所(或一套)房子的人;adj.家庭的;家常的;王室的; as far as:至于…;
So circumstances matter. 因此,环境因素很重要。
circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
Now, in any case , animals are not going to grieve exactly like we do. 无论如何, 动物悲伤不会完全像我们一样,
in any case:无论如何;
We have human creativity. 我们有人类的创造力。
We paint our grief, dance our grief, write our grief. 我们会把悲伤画出来、 通过舞蹈表现出来、 把悲伤写出来。
We also can grieve for people we've never met, across space and time. 我们也会为未曾谋面的人悲伤, 穿越时空限制。
I felt this strongly when I went to Berlin and I stood at the Holocaust Memorial . 当我去柏林、站在 大屠杀纪念馆前时, 就深深感受到这一点。
Holocaust:n.大屠杀;毁灭; Memorial:adj.纪念的;悼念的;n.纪念碑(或像等);纪念品;
Animals don't grieve exactly like we do, but this doesn't mean that their grief isn't real. 动物们悲伤不会完全像我们一样, 但这不代表他们的悲伤不真实。
It is real, and it's searing , and we can see it if we choose. 它们的悲伤是真切的、强烈的, 如果我们选择去看, 就能看到它们的悲伤。
searing:adj.灼热的;v.使枯萎(sear的ing形式);
Now, I've lost both my parents. 如今,我双亲尽失,
I lost a very dear friend at a young age from AIDS. 我还失去了一位年纪轻轻 就死于艾滋病的好友,
I believe most likely most of you here have lost someone. 相信可能在座各位都失去过亲人。
And I have found it a genuine comfort, a solace , to know that we aren't the only beings on this earth who feel love and grief. 当发现我们不是地球上 唯一感知爱和悲伤的生命时, 我感到这是一种真正的安慰, 我感到一种慰藉。
genuine:adj.真实的,真正的;诚恳的; solace:n.安慰;慰藉;安慰之物;vt.安慰;抚慰;使快乐;
And I think this is important. 我认为这一点很重要,
I also think we can take this a step further, and we can realize that the reality of animal grief can help us be better and do better for animals. 也认为我们可以更进一步, 我们就能认识到, 认清动物的悲伤可以帮我们 变得更好、为动物做得更好,
This is already happening with Tahlequah, because the United States and Canada have renewed their talks with greater urgency for how to help the orcas, how to restore the Chinook salmon and how to help with the water pollution. 这一点已经帮到塔勒阔了, 因为美国和加拿大 已经加急重启讨论, 讨论如何帮助虎鲸、 如何恢复奇努克鲑鱼、 以及如何解决水污染问题。
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) renewed:adj.再次发生的; v.重新开始; (renew的过去分词和过去式) urgency:n.紧急;催促;紧急的事; restore:v.恢复;修复;恢复(某种情况或感受);使复原;
We can also see that if grief is real, there's tremendous plausibility to the notion that animals feel a whole range of things. 如果悲伤是真实的, 那么我们也能认识到 动物能感受各种事情的概念 是极其合理的。
tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的; plausibility:n.善辩;似乎有理;貌似可信; notion:n.观念;信念;理解;
So we could look at joy, sadness, even hope. 所以,我们可以看到 快乐、悲伤,甚至希望。
And if we do that, here's how we can start to think about the world. 如果我们看到这些情绪, 那么,下面是我们如何 开始思考这个世界。
We can look at orcas and say, we know they grieve, we know they feel their lives, and we can refuse to confine them to small tanks in theme parks and make them perform for our entertainment. 我们能看着虎鲸们说, 我们知道他们悲伤、 我们了解它们感知到自己的生命, 我们就能拒绝把它们囚禁 在主题公园的小池子里、 并让它们表演供我们欣赏。
confine:v.限制;限定;监禁;禁闭;n.范围;界限;边界;限度; perform:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好);
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. 谢谢!
We can look at elephants and say, yes, they grieve, and we can renew our efforts against international trophy hunting and against poaching . 我们能看着大象们说, 是的,它们很悲伤, 我们可以继续努力反对国际范围的 战利品狩猎活动和偷猎。
trophy:n.奖品,奖杯;奖;纪念品,战利品;adj.炫耀的;摆阔的;招摇的; poaching:v.水煮;炖;去壳水煮蛋;偷猎;(poach的现在分词)
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. 谢谢!
And we can look at our closest living relatives, monkeys and apes , and know yes they grieve, they feel their lives, so they don't deserve to be confined in highly invasive biomedical experiments year after year . 并且能看着我们最近的 动物近亲,猴子和猩猩, 知道他们很悲伤、能 感受到自己的生命, 所以,它们不该 生物医学实验中。
apes:n.[脊椎]猿;猩猩;类人猿(ape的复数);v.模仿;仿效(ape的三单形式); deserve:vi.应受,应得; confined:adj.狭窄的; v.限制(confine的过去式和过去分词); highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; invasive:adj.侵略性的;攻击性的; biomedical:adj.生物医学的; year after year:年复一年地;每年;
And, you know -- 而且,你要知道——
(Applause) (掌声)
the ducks Harper and Kohl, they tell us something too. 鸭子哈珀和科尔 也告诉了我们一些事情,
They help us connect the dots and realize that what we eat affects how animals live. 它们帮助我们把信息 拼凑起来,并意识到 我们吃的东西会影响 动物的生活方式。
And it's not just foie gras, and it's not just ducks. 这不仅仅关乎鹅肝、 不仅仅是鸭肉,
We can think about pigs and chickens and cows in factory farms, and we can know. 想想动物养殖场的 猪、鸡和奶牛, 就知道我们影响了它们。
I can tell you the science is real that these animals feel, too. 我可以告诉大家,关于 这些动物有感觉的科学是真的。
So every single time we choose a plant-based meal, we are contributing to reducing animal suffering. 因此,每次我们选择吃素食时, 就是为减少动物痛苦 尽了一份力。
contributing:v.捐献,捐赠(尤指款或物);捐助;增加;增进;(contribute的现在分词)
(Applause) (掌声)
So yes, I believe in the reality of animal grief. 是的,我相信动物悲伤是真实的,
I believe in the reality of animal love, and I think it is time for us humans to recognize that we don't own these things. 我相信动物相爱也是真实的, 我认为我们人类应该认识到, 悲伤与爱不是我们独有的东西。
And when we see that, we have an opportunity to make the world so much better for animals, a kinder world, a gentler world, and along the way, we might just save ourselves, too. 当我们看到悲伤与爱时, 我们就有机会让动物世界变得更好, 对动物更友善、更温和的世界, 在此过程中,我们 可能也拯救了自己。
Thank you so much. 非常感谢!
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you. Thank you. 谢谢!谢谢!
(Applause) (掌声)