|
|
BaratAliBatoor_2014X-_我在人蛇偷渡中的亡命之旅_
|
I am a Hazara, and the homeland of my people is Afghanistan . |
我是个哈扎拉族人, 我族人的祖国是阿富汗。 |
Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲);
|
Like hundreds of thousands of other Hazara kids, |
和数十万别的哈扎拉孩子一样, |
I was born in exile . |
我在父母流亡时出生。 |
exile:n.流放,充军;放逐,被放逐者;流犯;v.放逐,流放;使背井离乡;
|
The ongoing persecution and operation against the Hazaras forced my parents to leave Afghanistan. |
针对哈扎拉族人的持续迫害, 迫使我的父母离开了阿富汗。 |
ongoing:n.发展; adj.持续存在的; persecution:n.迫害;烦扰;
|
This persecution has had a long history going back to the late 1800s, and the rule of King Abdur Rahman. |
这种迫害有很长的历史了,可以追溯到19世纪末, 阿布杜尔·拉赫曼汗国王统治时期。 |
He killed 63 percent of the Hazara population. |
他杀害了63%的哈扎拉族人, |
He built minarets with their heads. |
用他们的头颅搭建起了尖塔(穆斯林宣礼塔)。 |
minarets:n.尖塔;
|
Many Hazaras were sold into slavery , and many others fled the country for neighboring Iran and Pakistan. |
许多哈扎拉族人被卖身为奴, 还有很多逃离了祖国,到了邻国伊朗和巴基斯坦。 |
slavery:n.奴隶制;奴隶身份;蓄奴;adj.流口水的;被口水弄脏的; fled:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的过去分词和过去式) neighboring:adj.邻近的;接壤的;v.邻近;使接近;位于…附近;(neighbor的现在分词)
|
My parents also fled to Pakistan, and settled in Quetta, where I was born. |
我的父母也逃亡到了巴基斯坦, 并定居在了奎达,我的出生地。 |
settled:adj.稳定的; v.结束; (settle的过去分词和过去式)
|
After the September 11 attack on the Twin Towers, |
911双子塔袭击过后, |
I got a chance to go to Afghanistan for the first time, with foreign journalists . |
我得到了一个去阿富汗的机会 那是我第一次去,是和外国记者一起 |
journalists:n.新闻记者(journalist的复数);
|
I was only 18, and I got a job working as an interpreter . |
我那时才18岁,我得到一个翻译员的工作。 |
interpreter:n.解释者;口译者;注释器;
|
After four years, |
四年后, |
I felt it was safe enough to move to Afghanistan permanently , and I was working there as a documentary photographer, and I worked on many stories. |
我觉得足够安全,所以就搬到阿富汗长期定居了, 我在那里从事纪实摄影工作。 我记录了许多故事。 |
permanently:adv.永久地,长期不变地;
|
One of the most important stories that I did was the dancing boys of Afghanistan. |
我记录的重要故事里, 有一个是关于阿富汗跳舞的男孩们。 |
It is a tragic story about an appalling tradition. |
那个悲惨的故事记录的是一项可怕的传统。 |
tragic:adj.悲剧的;悲痛的,不幸的; appalling:adj.可怕的;令人震惊的;v.使惊愕;惊吓;(appal的现在分词)
|
It involves young kids dancing for warlords and powerful men in the society. |
故事里的那些年轻男孩子, 为军阀和有权有势的男人跳舞。 |
involves:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加,加入(involve的第三人称单数) warlords:n.军阀;(warlord的复数)
|
These boys are often abducted or bought from their poor parents, and they are put to work as sex slaves. |
这些年轻男孩大多是被绑架来或者是因贫穷被人从他们父母那买来的, 他们被迫成为性奴隶。 |
abducted:v.诱拐;劫持;绑架(abduct的过去分词和过去式)
|
This is Shukur. |
这是修库尔。 |
He was kidnapped from Kabul by a warlord. |
他在喀布尔被一个军阀绑架后。 |
He was taken to another province, where he was forced to work as a sex slave for the warlord and his friends. |
被带到另一个省, 在那里他被迫成为那个军阀和他的朋友的性奴隶。 |
When this story was published in the Washington Post, |
当这个故事刊登在《华盛顿邮报》时, |
I started receiving death threats, and I was forced to leave Afghanistan, as my parents were. |
我开始收到死亡威胁, 然后我被迫离开阿富汗, 就象以前我父母一样。 |
Along with my family, I returned back to Quetta. |
带着我的家人,我回到了奎达。 |
The situation in Quetta had changed dramatically since I left in 2005. |
那时的奎达和2005年我离开时有了非常大的变化。 |
dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地;
|
Once a peaceful haven for the Hazaras, it had now turned into the most dangerous city in Pakistan. |
它曾经是哈扎拉人的和平天堂, 现在它已变成巴基斯坦最危险的城市。 |
haven:n.避难所;保护区;v.把船开进港;掩护;
|
Hazaras are confined into two small areas, and they are marginalized socially, educationally , and financially . |
哈扎拉人被限制在两个小区里, 他们在社会,教育和经济方面都受到排斥。 |
confined:adj.狭窄的; v.限制(confine的过去式和过去分词); marginalized:使边缘化;忽略;排斥(marginalize的过去式和过去分词); educationally:adv.教育上地; financially:adv.财政上;金融上;
|
This is Nadir . |
这是纳迪尔。 |
Nadir:n.最低点,最底点;[天]天底;
|
I had known him since my childhood . |
我从小就认识他。 |
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
|
He was injured when his van was ambushed by terrorists in Quetta. |
有一次,他的小巴士被奎达的恐怖分子伏击,他也因此受伤了。 |
injured:adj.受伤的:委屈的: v.伤害,使受伤: n.伤员; van:n.厢式货车;客货车;v.选矿;用车搬运; ambushed:v.伏击;(ambush的过去分词和过去式)
|
He later died of his injuries . |
后来他不治身亡。 |
injuries:n.伤害,损伤;挫伤;(injury的复数)
|
Around 1,600 Hazara members had been killed in various attacks, and around 3,000 of them were injured, and many of them permanently disabled. |
大约1600哈扎拉人 因为各种袭击而死。 另外有大约3000人受伤, 他们许多人终生残废。 |
The attacks on the Hazara community would only get worse, so it was not surprising that many wanted to flee . |
针对哈扎拉人社区的攻击愈演愈烈, 所以一点也不意外,很多人都想逃离。 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; flee:v.逃走;迅速离开;逃避,逃跑
|
After Afghanistan, Iran, Pakistan, |
在阿富汗、伊朗、巴基斯坦以外, |
Australia is home to the fourth largest population of Hazaras in the world. |
澳洲是世界上哈扎拉人最多的第四个国家。 |
When it came time to leave Pakistan, |
当要离开巴基斯坦的时候, |
Australia seemed the obvious choice. |
澳洲似乎是理所当然的选择。 |
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
|
Financially, only one of us could leave, and it was decided that I would go, in the hope that if I arrived at my destination safely, |
因为经济关系,我们只能负担得起一个人离开, 大家决定那个人应该是我。 这样的话,如果我能安全抵达目的地, |
I could work to get the rest of my family to join me later. |
我就可以工作赚钱,然后再把其他人接过去,一家团圆。 |
We all knew about the risks, and how terrifying the journey is, and I met many people who lost loved ones at sea. |
我们都清楚风险, 也知道这个旅程多么可怕, 我见过许多人,他们的挚爱都(这样)死在海里。 |
terrifying:adj.令人恐惧的;骇人的;极大的;v.使害怕,使恐怖;(terrify的现在分词) journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
|
It was a desperate decision to take, to leave everything behind, and no one makes this decision easily. |
要抛下一切,这是个孤注一掷的决定, 没有谁能轻易的做此决定。 |
desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的;
|
If I had been able to simply fly to Australia, it would have taken me less than 24 hours. |
假如我能飞到澳洲,那就简单了, 根本都不用超过24小时。 |
But getting a visa was impossible. |
但那时想要拿到签证可是难于登天。 |
visa:n.签证;vt.签发签证;
|
My journey was much longer, much more complicated , and certainly more dangerous, traveling to Thailand by air, and then by road and boat to Malaysia and into Indonesia , paying people and smugglers all the way and spending a lot of time hiding and a lot of time in fear of being caught. |
我的旅程长得多, 也复杂得多, 当然也更危险。 我先是飞到泰国, 然后坐车加坐船到马来西亚,然后到印尼。 我们一路上花钱买通走私者, 大多时间在躲藏, 也随时担心被抓到。 |
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式) Thailand:n.泰国(东南亚国家名); Indonesia:n.印尼,印度尼西亚(东南亚岛国); smugglers:n.走私者;(smuggler的复数)
|
In Indonesia, I joined a group of seven asylum seekers . |
在印尼,我加入了一个寻求庇护者的7人团体。 |
asylum:n.庇护;收容所,救济院; seekers:n.探求者;搜查人;
|
We all shared a bedroom in a town outside of Jakarta called Bogor. |
我们住在雅加达附近叫做茂物(Bogor)的镇, 挤在同一间房里。 |
Jakarta:n.雅加达(印尼首都,等于Djakarta);
|
After spending a week in Bogor, three of my roommates left for the perilous journey, and we got the news two days later that a distressed boat sank in the sea en route to Christmas Island. |
在茂物镇一星期后, 三个我的室友离开了,去了一个危险的旅程。 我们在两天后得到消息: 一艘超载船只在前往圣诞岛的途中沉没。 |
perilous:adj.危险的,冒险的; distressed:adj.烦恼的; v.使忧虑; (distress的过去分词和过去式) en route:在途中;在航路上;
|
We found out that our three roommates -- Nawroz, Jaffar and Shabbir -- were also among those. |
我们发现我们的同伴--纳若兹、贾法儿和萨比儿-- 也在这艘船上。 |
Only Jaffar was rescued . |
只有贾法儿获救。 |
rescued:v.营救;援救;抢救;(rescue的过去分词和过去式)
|
Shabbir and Nawroz were never seen again. |
萨比儿和纳若兹从此失踪。 |
It made me think, am I doing the right thing? |
这个事件让我思考, 我在做的事是对的吗? |
I concluded I really had no other choice but to go on. |
我的结论是:没有其他选择,只能继续向前。 |
concluded:v.断定:得出结论:终止:达成:缔结(协定)(conclude的过去分词和过去式)
|
A few weeks later, we got the call from the people smuggler to alert us that the boat is ready for us to commence our sea journey. |
几个星期后,我们接到人蛇的电话, 告知我们,要搭的船已经准备好,我们可以开始海上旅程了。 |
alert:n.警报; adj.警觉的; v.向…报警; commence:v.开始;开始发生;着手;
|
Taken in the night towards the main vessel on a motorboat , we boarded an old fishing boat that was already overloaded . |
一天晚上我们被带着坐上汽艇, 前往搭乘(去澳洲的)大船。 我们上了一艘已经超载的老旧渔船。 |
vessel:n.器皿;轮船;脉管;大船; motorboat:n.摩托艇,汽船; overloaded:adj.超载的;超负荷的;超重的;v.使超载;使负担过重(overload的过去分词);
|
There were 93 of us, and we were all below deck . |
我们总共有93个人, 全都藏在甲板下, |
deck:n.甲板;舱面;层面;一副(为52张);v.装饰;打扮;布置;用力击倒;
|
No one was allowed up on the top. |
不许到船面上。 |
We all paid 6,000 dollars each for this part of the trip. |
我们每个人都付了6000美元, 就为了这一段路。 |
The first night and day went smoothly , but by the second night, the weather turned. |
第一晚和白天很顺利, 但是第二天晚上,天气变了。 |
smoothly:adv.平稳地,平滑地;流畅地,流利地;
|
Waves tossed the boat around, and the timbers groaned . |
海浪翻腾,渔船颠簸,船身的木条嘎吱作响。 |
tossed:v.扔,抛,掷;甩;(使)摇摆,挥动,颠簸;(toss的过去分词和过去式) timbers:n.[木]木材;[木]木料(timber的复数);v.以林木覆盖(timber的三单形式); groaned:vi.呻吟;抱怨;发吱嘎声;vt.呻吟;抱怨;n.呻吟;叹息;吱嘎声;
|
People below deck were crying, praying, recalling their loved ones. |
甲板下的人们,哭泣着,祈祷着,思念着他们的挚爱。 |
recalling:v.记起;回忆起;回想起;召回;(recall的现在分词)
|
They were screaming. |
大家都在拼命叫喊。 |
It was a terrible moment. |
那是非常可怕的时刻。 |
It was like a scene from doomsday , or maybe like one of those scenes from those Hollywood movies that shows that everything is breaking apart and the world is just ending. |
或像是好莱坞电影里 出现的镜头:一切都在分崩瓦解, 世界正在消亡。 |
doomsday:n.世界末日;最后的审判日;
|
It was happening to us for real. |
这些都真实的发生在我们身边。 |
We didn't have any hope. |
我们陷入了绝望。 |
Our boat was floating like a matchbox on the water without any control. |
我们的船就像火柴盒在水里漂浮, 完全不受控制。 |
matchbox:n.火柴盒;
|
The waves were much higher than our boat, and the water poured in faster than the motor pumps could take it out. |
海浪比我们的船高许多, 海水不断的涌入船内,快过了马达把水泵出去的速度。 |
poured:v.使(液体)连续流出;倾倒;倒出;喷发;(pour的过去分词和过去式) pumps:n.[机]泵; v.用泵送;
|
We all lost hope. |
我们都失去了信心。 |
We thought, this is the end. |
我们想,这是我们的终点了。 |
We were watching our deaths, and I was documenting it. |
我们会眼睁睁的看着自己死去, 而我一直在记录。 |
The captain told us that we are not going to make it, we have to turn back the boat. |
船长告诉我们, 我们不可能成功, 我们必须回头。 |
turn back:往回走;阻挡;翻回到;
|
We went on the deck and turned our torches on and off to attract the attention of any passing boat. |
我们去到甲板上, 把我们的手电筒点亮和熄灭, 希望能吸引其他经过的船的注意。 |
torches:n.电筒; v.放火;
|
We kept trying to attract their attention by waving our life jackets and whistling . |
我们不断尝试用挥动救生衣和吹口哨来引起注意。 |
whistling:n.口哨声;笛音;v.吹口哨;打呼哨;吹哨子;(whistle的现在分词)
|
Eventually , we made it to a small island. |
最后,我们到达了一个小岛。 |
Eventually:adv.最后,终于;
|
Our boat crashing onto the rocks, |
我们的船撞到岩石, |
I slipped into the water and destroyed my camera, whatever I had documented. |
我滑落到水里, 照相机和我记录的一切都没了, |
slipped:adj.打滑的;v.滑倒;滑落;脱落;(slip的过去分词和过去式)
|
But luckily, the memory card survived. |
幸运的是,记忆卡并没坏。 |
It was a thick forest. |
(岛上)是一片茂密的森林。 |
We all split up into many groups as we argued over what to do next. |
我们为下一步怎么走而争吵,分裂成了好多组, |
split:v.分离;使分离;劈开;离开;分解;n.劈开;裂缝;adj.劈开的;
|
We were all scared and confused . |
我们都非常害怕和迷茫。 |
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
|
Then, after spending the night on the beach , we found a jetty and coconuts . |
然后,在海滩上过了一夜后, 我们发现一个码头和椰子。 |
on the beach:adj.在海滩上;失业的;潦倒的;退休的; jetty:n.码头;防波堤;adj.乌黑发亮的,煤玉似的;vi.伸出; coconuts:n.[园艺]椰子(coconut的复数);
|
We hailed a boat from a nearby resort , and then were quickly handed over to Indonesian water police. |
我们向从附近的度假村过来的一艘船大叫, 然后我们很快就被交给印尼的水警。 |
hailed:v.赞扬(或称颂)…为…; (hail的过去分词和过去式) nearby:adj.附近的,邻近的;adv.在附近;prep.在…附近; resort:n.度假胜地;诉诸;采取;旅游胜地;v.去;凭藉; Indonesian:n.印尼人;印尼语群;印度尼西亚语;adj.印尼的;
|
At Serang Detention Center, an immigration officer came and furtively strip-searched us. |
在西朗看守所, 一个移民官过来偷偷的对我们做了脱衣搜身检查。 |
Detention:n.拘留;延迟;挽留; immigration:n.外来移民;移居; furtively:adv.偷偷地;暗中地; strip-searched:vt.对(嫌疑犯)进行光身搜查;
|
He took our mobile , my $300 cash, our shoes that we should not be able to escape, but we kept watching the guards, checking their movements, and around 4 a.m. when they sat around a fire, |
他拿走我们的手机,我的300美元现金, 还有我们的鞋子以防我们逃走。 但是我们一直观察那些守卫,注意他们的一举一动。 大概在清晨4点,当他们围坐在火边, |
mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的;
|
we removed two glass layers from an outside facing window and slipped through. |
我们取下一扇外窗的两层玻璃, 然后溜了出去。 |
layers:n.层;表层;层次;阶层;v.把…分层堆放;(layer的第三人称单数和复数)
|
We climbed a tree next to an outer wall that was topped with the shards of glass. |
我们爬到上面布满碎玻璃的外墙旁边的一棵树, |
outer:adj.外面的,外部的;远离中心的;n.环外命中; shards:陶瓷碎片;
|
We put the pillow on that and wrapped our forearms with bedsheets and climbed the wall, and we ran away with bare feet. |
我们把枕头放在外墙上, 用床单裹住我们的前臂 然后爬出围墙, 我们赤脚逃离那里。 |
pillow:n.枕头;v.垫;枕于…;使…靠在; wrapped:adj.极高兴的;十分满意的;v.用…包裹;用…缠绕;(wrap的过去分词和过去式) forearms:n.前臂;vt.预先武装;准备; bedsheets:n.床单; bare:adj.空的;赤裸的,无遮蔽的;v.露出,使赤裸;
|
I was free, with an uncertain future, no money. |
我自由了, 但却前路茫茫, 身无分文。 |
uncertain:adj.无常的;含糊的;靠不住的;迟疑不决的;
|
The only thing I had was the memory card with the pictures and footage . |
我仅有的东西是那个存有相片和录像资料的记忆卡。 |
footage:n.英尺长度;连续镜头;以尺计算长度;
|
When my documentary was aired on SBS Dateline , many of my friends came to know about my situation, and they tried to help me. |
当我的记录片在SBS Dateline 节目播出时, 许多我的朋友才得知我的情况, 他们尝试帮助我。 |
Dateline:n.国际日期变更线;报纸写明的发稿日期及地址;新闻电头;
|
They did not allow me to take any other boat to risk my life. |
他们不准我再冒着生命危险搭船。 |
I also decided to stay in Indonesia and process my case through UNHCR, but I was really afraid that I would end up in Indonesia for many years doing nothing and unable to work, like every other asylum seeker . |
我也决定留在印尼向联合国难民署申请庇护。 但是我也很担心我从此终结在印尼, 许多年无所事事也无法工作, 就象其他的寻求庇护者一样。 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; asylum seeker:n.寻求避难者;寻求庇护的移民;
|
But it had happened to be a little bit different with me. |
但是最后我的境遇有些不同。 |
I was lucky. |
我很幸运。 |
My contacts worked to expedite my case through UNHCR, and I got resettled in Australia in May 2013. |
我的熟人想办法请联合国难民署(UNHCR)加速处理了我的案件, 在2013年5月,我被重新安排去了澳洲。 |
contacts:v.联系,联络;(contact的第三人称单数) expedite:vt.加快;促进;发出;adj.畅通的;迅速的;方便的; resettled:vi.重新定居;vt.使重新定居;
|
Not every asylum seeker is lucky like me. |
并非每一个寻求庇护者都和我一样幸运。 |
It is really difficult to live a life with an uncertain fate, in limbo . |
茫然无措的活着真的很难受。 |
limbo:n.监狱;地狱的边境;放置丢弃物的场所;处于中间的或不定的状态;
|
The issue of asylum seekers in Australia has been so extremely politicized that it has lost its human face. |
寻求庇护者的问题, 在澳洲已被极端的政治化, 以至于它已失去了人性的一面。 |
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; politicized:adj.政治化的; v.使具有政治性;
|
The asylum seekers have been demonized and then presented to the people. |
寻求庇护者们为大众所知的面目都已经被妖魔化了。 |
demonized:vt.妖魔化;使…成为魔鬼;
|
I hope my story and the story of other Hazaras could shed some light to show the people how these people are suffering in their countries of origin , and how they suffer, why they risk their lives to seek asylum. |
我希望我和其他哈扎拉人的故事, 在某种程度上,能让大家进一步了解 (寻求庇护者)他们在祖国是多么受苦, 他们怎样的历尽磨难, 为何他们会如此不顾性命的寻求庇护。 |
origin:n.起源;起因;源头;出身;
|
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |