返回首页

AuretvanHeerden_2010G-_全球劳工平等化_

This cell phone started its trajectory in an artisanal mine in the Eastern Congo. 这个手机 来自 刚果东部工匠的双手, 。
trajectory:n.[物]轨道,轨线;[航][军]弹道; artisanal:手工艺性的; Eastern:adj.东方的;向东的;东部的;东方国家的;n.东方人;东正教信徒;
It's mined by armed gangs using slaves, child slaves, what the U.N. Security Council calls "blood minerals ," 在武装监管下,由儿童奴隶 开采, 联合国安全理事会把它 称作“血矿”,
gangs:n.帮派(gang的复数);v.成帮结伙;合伙行动(gang的三单形式); Security Council:安理会; minerals:n.矿物;矿产,矿产品(mineral的复数);矿物质;
then traveled into some components and ended up in a factory in Shinjin in China. 然后流通到一些环节, 最后到达中国深圳的 工厂。
components:n.部件;组件;成份(component复数);
That factory -- over a dozen people have committed suicide already this year. 今年这个工厂中超过12个人 已经自杀。
committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式) suicide:n.自杀;自杀行为;自杀者;adj.自杀的;v.自杀;vi.自杀;
One man died after working a 36-hour shift . 其中一个人在36小时轮班后死亡。
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换;
We all love chocolate. 我们都喜欢巧克力。
We buy it for our kids. 我们买给我们的孩子。
Eighty percent of the cocoa comes from Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana and it's harvested by children. 百分之八十的可可豆来自科特迪瓦共和国和加纳, 均由儿童收获。
Cote d'Ivoire, we have a huge problem of child slaves. 在科特迪瓦共和国,有大量的儿童奴隶。
Children have been trafficked from other conflict zones to come and work on the coffee plantations . 来自其他冲突地区,儿童被非法贩卖到此, 在咖啡种植园工作。
conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触; plantations:n.[农]种植园(plantation的复数形式);
Heparin -- a blood thinner, a pharmaceutical product -- starts out in artisanal workshops like this in China, because the active ingredient comes from pigs' intestines . 肝磷脂--血液稀释剂, 一种药品-- 来自中国 类似于手工作坊, 因为活性成分 来自猪的肠毒素。
Heparin:n.[生化]肝素(用于防治血栓形成等);肝磷脂; pharmaceutical:adj.制药(学)的;n.药物; workshops:n.工作坊,[工业]车间;研习会,讲习班(workshop的复数形式); ingredient:n.原料;要素;组成部分;adj.构成组成部分的; intestines:n.[解剖]肠(intestine的复数);内脏;下水;
Your diamond -- you've all heard, probably seen the movie "Blood Diamond." 你的钻石:你可能从“血钻”这部电影中听说过。
This is a mine in Zimbabwe right now. 现在这个矿位于 津巴布韦。
Zimbabwe:n.津巴布韦(国家名,位于非洲);
Cotton: Uzbekistan is the second biggest exporter of cotton on Earth. 棉花:乌兹别克斯坦是全球 第二大棉花出口国。
Uzbekistan:n.乌兹别克斯坦; exporter:n.出口商;输出国;
Every year when it comes to the cotton harvest, the government shuts down the schools, puts the kids in buses, buses them to the cotton fields to spend three weeks harvesting the cotton. 每年到了棉花收获的季节, 政府关闭学校, 把孩子们载到棉花生产区, 花三周时间来采摘棉花。
It's forced child labor on an institutional scale . 在制度上 强制执行童工。
institutional:adj.制度的; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
And all of those products probably end their lives in a dump like this one in Manila . 所有的这些产品可能就结束了他们的生命, 在垃圾场,类似马尼拉的这个。
dump:v.倾倒;抛售;抛弃;转存;n.垃圾场;转储;转存;废物堆; Manila:n.马尼拉麻;马尼拉纸(等于manilla);adj.马尼拉纸制的;马尼拉麻制的;
These places, these origins , represent governance gaps . 这些地点,这些原产点, 有管理上的漏洞。
origins:n.起源; (origin的复数) represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送; governance:n.管理;统治;支配; gaps:n.差异,缺口;缝隙(gap的复数形式);v.裂开;使豁裂(gap的第三人称单数形式);
That's the politest description 那是我得到的
description:n.说明;形容;描写(文字);类型;
I have for them. 最官方的描述。
These are the dark pools where global supply chains begin -- the global supply chains, which bring us our favorite brand name products. 全球供应链从这些黑暗的地方 开始-- 这些全球供应链 最后生产了我们熟悉的知名品牌产品。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; brand name:adj.著名品牌的;
Some of these governance gaps are run by rogue states. 这些管理漏洞 来自无赖的政府。
rogue:n.流氓; v.游手好闲; adj.(野兽)凶猛的;
Some of them are not states anymore at all. 其中一些已经不再是政府了;
They're failed states. 他们是失败的政府。
Some of them are just countries who believe that deregulation or no regulation is the best way to attract investment , promote trade. 一些政府 只是认为违规或者没有监管 是吸引投资和促进贸易的 最好方法。
deregulation:n.违反规定,反常;撤消管制规定; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁; promote:v.促进;推动;促销;提升;晋升;
Either way, they present us with a huge moral and ethical dilemma . 他们展现给我们的任何一种方式, 都是道德和伦理的两难境地。
moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的; ethical:adj.伦理的;道德的;凭处方出售的;n.处方药; dilemma:n.困境;进退两难;两刀论法;
I know that none of us want to be accessories after the fact of a human rights abuse in a global supply chain . 我认为没有一个人想成为附属品, 在全球供应链的 滥用人权的 事实中。
accessories:n.附件(accessory的复数形式);辅助程序; abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂; supply chain:n.供应链;
But right now, most of the companies involved in these supply chains don't have any way of assuring us that nobody had to mortgage their future, nobody had to sacrifice their rights to bring us our favorite brand name product. 但是现在, 大部分卷入这些供应链的公司 都没有办法 说服我们: 没有人会抵押他们的未来, 也没有人会牺牲他们的权利 不去生产我们喜欢的 品牌产品。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) assuring:v.使确信; adj.确实的; mortgage:vt.抵押;n.抵押;房屋抵押贷款; sacrifice:n.牺牲;舍弃;祭献;祭祀;祭品;v.牺牲;献出;作祭献
Now, I didn't come here to depress you about the state of the global supply chain. 现在我不是消极的告诉你, 关于全球供应链的事情。
depress:vt.压抑;使沮丧;使萧条;
We need a reality check . 我们需要事实去核查。
reality check:n.(提醒人面对现实而不再想当然的)现实感检验;
We need to recognize just how serious a deficit of rights we have. 我们需要重新认识我们拥有这个权利 的重要性。
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; deficit:n.赤字;逆差;亏损;不足额;
This is an independent republic, probably a failed state. 这是一个独立的共和体, 也可能是失败的政府。
independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等);
It's definitely not a democratic state. 它绝对不是一个民主的政府。
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地; democratic:adj.民主的;民主政治的;大众的;
And right now, that independent republic of the supply chain is not being governed in a way that would satisfy us, that we can engage in ethical trade or ethical consumption . 现在, 在供应链中的独立共和体 通过一种方式管理, 这种方式不可以通过道德交易或者 道德消费,来满足我们自私的需求。
satisfy:vt.满足(要求,需要等):使满意:使确信: engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定; consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨;
Now, that's not a new story. 现在这些已经不是一个新的故事了。
You've seen the documentaries of sweatshops making garments all over the world, even in developed countries. 你已经看过了关于全球制衣的 血汗工厂的纪录片, 甚至在发达国家的。
sweatshops:n.血汗工厂;剥削劳力的工厂(sweatshop的复数); garments:n.[服装]服装,衣着(garment的复数);
You want to see the classic sweatshop, meet me at Madison Square Garden, 你想看经典的血汗工程, 跟我来麦迪逊广场,
classic:n.名著;优秀的典范;adj.最优秀的;第一流的;有代表性的;典型的;
I'll take you down the street, and I'll show you a Chinese sweatshop. 我将带你进入街巷,给你展现中国的血汗工厂。
But take the example of heparin. 以肝磷脂为例。
It's a pharmaceutical product. 它是制药产品。
You expect that the supply chain that gets it to the hospital, probably squeaky clean . 你指望供应链把它带入医院, 可能吱吱响的干净。
squeaky clean:道德高尚的;无可指责的;非常干净的;
The problem is that the active ingredient in there -- as I mentioned earlier -- comes from pigs. 问题是这里的活性成分-- 正如我前面提到的-- 来自猪。
The main American manufacturer of that active ingredient decided a few years ago to relocate to China because it's the world's biggest supplier of pigs. 那些活性成分大部分美国 生产商 几年前就驻扎在中国, 因为这里是全球最大的猪肉供应地。
manufacturer:n.生产商;生产者;制造者; relocate:v.重新安置;(使)搬迁,迁移;
And their factory in China -- which probably is pretty clean -- is getting all of the ingredients from backyard abattoirs , where families slaughter pigs and extract the ingredient. 中国的这些工厂-- 大概都很干净-- 从屠宰场获得 活性成分。 但家庭作坊屠宰猪, 然后提取活性成分。
ingredients:n.成分;(尤指烹饪)原料;(成功的)要素;(ingredient的复数) backyard:n.后院;后庭; abattoirs:n.屠宰场;角斗场; slaughter:vt.屠宰,屠杀;杀戮;使惨败;n.屠宰,屠杀;杀戮;消灭; extract:v.提取;取出;摘录;榨取;n.汁;摘录;榨出物;选粹;
So a couple of years ago, we had a scandal which killed about 80 people around the world, because of contaminants that crept into the heparin supply chain. 几年前,一个谣言流传着: 全球大概有80人死亡, 因为环境污染 蔓延到肝磷脂供应链中。
scandal:n.丑闻;流言蜚语;诽谤;公愤; contaminants:n.[环境]污染物;污垢物(contaminant的复数); crept:v.匍匐爬行(creep的过去式);
Worse, some of the suppliers realized that they could substitute a product which mimicked heparin in tests. 更糟糕的是,一些供应商 找到了一种替代产品, 在测试中可以替代肝磷脂。
substitute:v.取代;(以…)代替;n.代用品;代替物;代替者;替补(运动员); mimicked:v.模仿(活象);
This substitute cost nine dollars a pound, whereas real heparin, the real ingredient, cost 900 dollars a pound. 该替代品每磅九美元, 而真正的肝磷脂--有效的活性成分-- 每磅九百美元。
whereas:conj.然而;鉴于;反之;
A no-brainer . 一个缺乏思考的人。
no-brainer:不需对其动脑筋的事物;
The problem was that it killed more people. 问题是更多人由于它死亡。
And so you're asking yourself, "How come the U.S. Food and Drug Administration allowed this to happen? 因此大家扪心自问, “为什么美国食品药品监督管理局 允许这些发生?
How did the Chinese State Agency for Food and Drugs allow this to happen?" 为什么中国政府的食品药品部门 允许这些发生?”
Agency:n.代理,中介;代理处,经销处;
And the answer is quite simple: the Chinese define these facilities as chemical facilities, not pharmaceutical facilities, so they don't audit them. 答案非常简单: 中国认为这些工厂 是化学工厂,不是药厂, 因此无法监管。
define:v.定义;使明确;规定; facilities:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;(facility的复数) chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的;
And the USFDA has a jurisdictional problem. 而美国食品药品管理局 也存在司法问题。
jurisdictional:adj.管辖权的;司法的;司法权的;裁判权的;
This is offshore . 这是在海外。
offshore:adj.离岸的;[海洋]近海的;吹向海面的;adv.向海面,向海;
They actually do conduct a few investigations overseas -- about a dozen a year -- maybe 20 in a good year. 他们实际上很少监管海外调查研究-- 大概一年调查十二个,在好年头也许二十个。
conduct:v.实施;执行;表现;引导;n.举止;管理方法;经营方式;实施办法; investigations:n.调查(investigation的复数); overseas:adv.在海外,海外;adj.海外的,国外的;
There are 500 of these facilities producing active ingredients in China alone. 而仅仅在中国 生产这样的活性成分的工厂 就有500多家。
In fact, about 80 percent of the active ingredients in medicines now come from offshore, particularly China and India, and we don't have a governance system. 事实上,现在大概百分之八十的 药品活性成分 都来自海外, 特别是中国和印度。 我们没有一个政府系统,
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地;
We don't have a regulatory system able to ensure that that production is safe. 没有监管系统 去保证 产品安全。
regulatory:adj.管理的;控制的;调整的; ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全;
We don't have a system to ensure that human rights, basic dignity , are ensured . 没有一个系统保证 人权和基本的 尊严。
dignity:n.尊严;高贵; ensured:v.保证;担保;确保(ensure的过去分词和过去式)
So at a national level -- and we work in about 60 different countries -- at a national level we've got a serious breakdown in the ability of governments to regulate production on their own soil. 在国家层面上-- 我们工作在六十多个国家-- 特指国家层面上, 我们有严重的管理漏洞, 去监管他们本土的 产品。
breakdown:n.分解;损坏;分类;(关系)破裂;adj.专门修理故障的; regulate:v.调节;控制;
And the real problem with the global supply chain is that it's supranational . 全球供应链的真正问题是 跨国问题。
supranational:adj.超国家的;超民族的;
So governments who are failing, who are dropping the ball at a national level, have even less ability to get their arms around the problem at an international level. 失败的管理, 把球踢来踢去, 在国家层面上 无法插手一个 国际层面上的问题。
And you can just look at the headlines. 仅看新闻头版。
Take Copenhagen last year -- complete failure of governments to do the right thing in the face of an international challenge. 以去年哥本哈根气候大会为例-- 在面对国际挑战时 政府间要做正确的事情却 面临彻底失败。
Copenhagen:n.哥本哈根(丹麦首都); in the face of:面对;
Take the G20 meeting a couple of weeks ago -- stepped back from its commitments of just a few months ago. 几周前的G20会议为例-- 退回到几月前的决议。
commitments:n.承诺,保证;委托;承担义务;献身;(commitment的复数)
You can take any one of the major global challenges we've discussed this week and ask yourself, where is the leadership from governments to step up and come up with solutions, responses , to those international problems? 你可以随便挑一个 我们这周讨论的全球主要挑战, 问问你自己,哪个政府领导能 直面问题,解决问题, 回应 那些国际问题?
come up with:提出;想出;赶上; responses:n.回答,答复;反应;响应;(response的复数)
And the simple answer is they can't. They're national. 简单的回答是他们不能,因为他们是国家性的。
Their voters are local. 他们的选民是当地的。
They have parochial interests. 他们有地方性利益。
parochial:adj.教区的;狭小的;地方范围的;
They can't subordinate those interests to the greater global public good. 他们不能屈从于 更大的全球公共利益。
subordinate:n.下属,下级;部属,属下;adj.从属的;次要的;vt.使…居下位;使…服从;
So, if we're going to ensure the delivery of the key public goods at an international level -- in this case, in the global supply chain -- we have to come up with a different mechanism . 因此我们打算保证 主要的公共利益 在国际层面上-- 这里是全球供应链-- 我们必须采取不同的机制。
delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送; mechanism:n.机制;原理,途径;进程;机械装置;技巧;
We need a different machine. 我们需要不同的机构。
Fortunately , we have some examples. 幸运的是,我们有一些例子。
Fortunately:adv.幸运地;
In the 1990s, there were a whole series of scandals concerning the production of brand name goods in the U.S. -- child labor, forced labor, serious health and safety abuses . 二十世纪九十年代, 发生了一系列丑闻 涉及到美国品牌商品-- 童工,强制劳动, 危害健康和滥用安全--
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; scandals:n.丑闻; v.(英)诋毁; concerning:prep.关于;涉及;v.影响,牵涉(某人);与…有关;涉及;(concern的现在分词) abuses:v.滥用;虐待;辱骂(abuse的三单形式);n.滥用;虐待;暴行(abuse的复数);
And eventually President Clinton, in 1996, convened a meeting at the White House , invited industry, human rights NGOs, trade unions , the Department of Labor, got them all in a room and said, "Look, 甚至克林顿总统在1996年 在白宫召开了一个会议-- 相关工业,人权非政府组织, 贸易联盟,劳工部-- 聚集到一起, 说:“瞧,
eventually:adv.最后,终于; convened:v.召集;集合;召唤;(convene的过去式和过去分词) White House:n.白宫(美国总统官邸,位于首都华盛顿); trade unions:工会;
I don't want globalization to be a race to the bottom. 我不想让全球化成为底层恶性竞争。
globalization:n.全球化;
I don't know how to prevent that, but I'm at least going to use my good offices to get you folks together to come up with a response." 我不知道如何阻止, 但至少我打算在我的办公室 把你们召集起来 解决问题。”
So they formed a White House task force , and they spent about three years arguing about who takes how much responsibility in the global supply chain. 特此他们组成了白宫特别工作组, 花费三年时间争论 关于谁应该在全球供应链中 负多少责任。
task force:工作小组;
Companies didn't feel it was their responsibility. 公司并没有感到自己的责任。
They don't own those facilities. 他们不拥有工厂。
They don't employ those workers. 他们没有雇佣那些工人。
employ:vt.使用,采用;雇用;使忙于,使从事于;n.使用;雇用;
They're not legally liable . 他们不负法律责任。
liable:adj.有责任的,有义务的;应受罚的;有…倾向的;易…的;
Everybody else at the table said, "Folks, that doesn't cut it. 在座的人都 说:“流言不会自己停止。
You have a custodial duty, a duty of care, to make sure that that product gets from wherever to the store in a way that allows us to consume it, without fear of our safety, or without having to sacrifice our conscience to consume that product." 你应负有监督的职责,关心的责任, 保证产品 从储藏到商店上架 可以买卖的过程中 不能危害我们消费者的安全, 不能牺牲我们的道德来 买卖商品。”
custodial:adj.保管的;保管人的;n.圣物保管容器; consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁; conscience:n.道德心,良心;
So they agreed, "Okay, what we'll do is we agree on a common set of standards , code of conduct. 他们同意了,“好吧,我们所做的 是在商品标准和管理上 达成一致。
standards:n.标准,水平,规格(standard的复数)
We'll apply that throughout our global supply chain regardless of ownership or control. 把它应用在 全球供应链中, 无论拥有物权关系或者控制权。
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求; throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; regardless:adj.不管的; v.不顾后果地;
We'll make it part of the contract ." 均作为合同一部分。”
contract:v.收缩;感染;订约;n.合同;婚约;
And that was a stroke of absolute genius , because what they did was they harnessed the power of the contract, private power, to deliver public goods. 那绝对是天才的一击, 因为他们所做的 产生合同的效力, 私人的力量, 供给公共产品。
stroke:n.中风;笔画;钟声;抚摩;v.抚摩(动物的毛皮);轻抚;轻挪;轻触; genius:n.天才;天资;才能,本领; harnessed:v.给(马等)上挽具;控制,利用(以产生能量等);(harness的过去式和过去分词)
And let's face it, the contract from a major multinational brand to a supplier in India or China has much more persuasive value than the local labor law, the local environmental regulations , the local human rights standards. 拿它来说, 多国品牌合同 对印度或者中国的供应者 有更多的说服力, 比起当地法律, 当地环境法规, 当地人权标准。
multinational:adj.跨国公司的;多国的;n.跨国公司; persuasive:adj.有说服力的;劝诱的,劝说的; regulations:n.章程;规则;法规;管理,控制;(regulation的复数)
Those factories will probably never see an inspector. 那些工厂将可能再也看不到巡视员。
If the inspector did come along, it would be amazing if they were able to resist the bribe . 如果巡视员来了, 就是考验他们能不能 抵挡住贿赂。
resist:v.抵制;阻挡;反抗;回击;抵抗;忍住;n.防染剂;防蚀用涂料;防腐剂; bribe:v.贿赂,收买;n.贿赂;
Even if they did their jobs, and they cited those facilities for their violations , the fine would be derisory . 甚至他们做了本职工作, 他们列举这些设施的违法行为, 罚金会是微不足道的。
cited:v.提及(原因);举出(示例);列举;引用;传讯;(cite的过去分词和过去式) violations:n.违反,妨碍;违规或不雅行为(violation的复数形式); derisory:adj.嘲弄的;嘲笑的;
But you lose that contract for a major brand name, that's the difference between staying in business or going bankrupt . 但是你就失去那个 大品牌合同, 这差异就是 要么继续运营要么破产。
bankrupt:adj.破产;倒闭;完全缺乏(有价值的东西);n.(经法院判决的)破产者;v.使破产;
That makes a difference. 那是不同的。
So what we've been able to do is we've been able to harness the power and the influence of the only truly transnational institution in the global supply chain, that of the multinational company, and get them to do the right thing, get them to use that power for good, to deliver the key public goods. 我们以前所做的是, 损害 能源和环境 只针对在全球供应链中的跨国机构 。 在跨国公司中, 让他们做正确的事情, 在商品中使用相应的权利, 供给核心的公共产品。
influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变; transnational:adj.跨国的;超越国界的;
Now of course, this doesn't come naturally to multinational companies. 当然,这个不会由跨国公司 自动执行。
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地;
They weren't set up to do this. They're set up to make money. 他们不会因此而关注;他们关注的是挣钱。
But they are extremely efficient organizations . 但是他们是特别有效的组织。
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; efficient:adj.有效率的;有能力的;生效的; organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
They have resources , and if we can add the will, the commitment, they know how to deliver that product. 他们拥有资源, 如果我们有决心和责任, 他们知道如何供给产品。
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
Now, getting there is not easy. 现在这么做不简单。
Those supply chains I put up on the screen earlier, they're not there. 我之前演示的那些供应链, 他们就不这么做。
You need a safe space. 你需要一个安全的空间。
You need a place where people can come together, sit down without fear of judgment , without recrimination , to actually face the problem, agree on the problem and come up with solutions. 需要一个地方,可以让大家聚在一起, 坐在一起,不用担心决议, 和揭丑, 直面问题, 达成一致和解决办法。
judgment:n.判断;裁判;判决书;辨别力; recrimination:n.反责,反控;揭丑;
We can do it. The technical solutions are there. 我们可以做到:这里有科技解决办法。
technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的;
The problem is the lack of trust, the lack of confidence , the lack of partnership between NGOs, campaign groups, civil society organizations and multinational companies. 这些问题归于缺乏信任,缺乏信心, 缺乏合作 在非政府组织,竞选组织, 国内社会组织, 以及跨国公司之间。
confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的; partnership:n.合伙;[经管]合伙企业;合作关系;合伙契约; civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的;
If we can put those two together in a safe space, get them to work together, we can deliver public goods right now, or in extremely short supply. 如果在一个安全的地方,我们把他们放在一起, 让他们合作, 我们立刻就可以供给公共产品, 或者特别快地提供。
This is a radical proposition , and it's crazy to think that if you're a 15-year-old Bangladeshi girl leaving your rural village to go and work in a factory in Dhaka -- 22, 23, 24 dollars a month -- your best chance of enjoying rights at work is if that factory is producing for a brand name company which has got a code of conduct and made that code of conduct part of the contract. 这是一个激进的主张, 疯狂的想法: 如果你是一个15岁的孟加拉国女孩, 远离自己的村庄, 在达卡(孟加拉首都)的一家工厂工作-- 一个月22,23或者24美元-- 工作中最大的享受权利是 如果工厂生产 一个大品牌, 它拥有企业经营管理法规 把管理法规作为合同的一部分。
radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的; proposition:n.提议;待处理的问题;任务;(美国)法律修正议案;见解;命题;v.向...提议; rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; Dhaka:n.达卡(孟加拉首都);
It's crazy. 这非常疯狂;
Multinationals are protecting human rights. 跨国公司都保护人权。
Multinationals:n.跨国公司(multinational的复数);
I know there's going to be disbelief . 我知道有人不相信。
disbelief:n.怀疑,不信;
You'll say, "How can we trust them?" 你可能说:“我们怎么信任他们?”
Well, we don't. 是的,我们不相信。
It's the old arms control phrase: "Trust, but verify ." 古老的控制方法: “信任,并核查。”
arms control:n.军备控制; verify:vt.核实;查证;
So we audit. 因此我们进行审计。
We take their supply chain, we take all the factory names, we do a random sample, we send inspectors on an unannounced basis to inspect those facilities, and then we publish the results. 我们审计供应链,核实工厂名字, 随机采样, 按照一套非公开的规则,派送人员 调查那些工程, 然后我们公布结果。
random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地; inspectors:n.[经管]检查员,巡视员(inspector的复数形式);检查器; unannounced:adj.突然的;未经宣布的;未通知的; publish:v.出版;发表;公布;
Transparency is absolutely critical to this. 这个是完全透明的。
Transparency:n.透明,透明度;幻灯片;有图案的玻璃; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的;
You can call yourself responsible , but responsibility without accountability often doesn't work. 你可以自己负责, 但是没有问责制的责任 是往往行不通的。
responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的; accountability:n.有义务;有责任;可说明性;
So what we're doing is, we're not only enlisting the multinationals, we're giving them the tools to deliver this public good -- respect for human rights -- and we're checking. 因此我们所做的,不仅仅是为跨国公司进行罗列, 我们提供工具,为他们供给公共产品-- 尊重人权-- 然后我们进行核查。
enlisting:v.征募;支持(enlist的ing形式);n.征募;支持;
You don't need to believe me. You shouldn't believe me. 你不需要信任我,也不应该信任我。
Go to the website. Look at the audit results. 上网,查看审计结果。
Ask yourself, is this company behaving in a socially responsible way? 扪心自问,这家公司是否 负有社会责任?
behaving:v.表现:表现得体:有礼貌:(behave的现在分词)
Can I buy that product without compromising my ethics ? 我是否为购买这个商品而 失去了我的道德观?
compromising:adj.有失体面的; v.妥协; (compromise的现在分词) ethics:n.伦理学;伦理观;道德标准;
That's the way the system works. 那就是这个系统工作的模式。
I hate the idea that governments are not protecting human rights around the world. 我痛恨 世界上的政府不保护人权。
I hate the idea that governments have dropped this ball and I can't get used to the idea that somehow we can't get them to do their jobs. 我痛恨 政府们互相推卸责任。 我不能忍受 我们无法使他们做好本职工作。
get used to:开始习惯于 somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地;
I've been at this for 30 years, and in that time I've seen the ability, the commitment, the will of government to do this decline , and I don't see them making a comeback right now. 我为此努力了30年, 在此期间我见识过 政府应对的能力,许诺 和愿望,在这点本职工作有退步, 直到现在我还没有看到他们卷土重来的实际行动。
decline:v.下降;衰退;减少;谢绝;n.下降; comeback:n.恢复;复原;
So we started out thinking this was a stopgap measure. 因此我们开始认为 这只是一个权益之计。
stopgap:adj.权宜的;暂时的;n.权宜之计;补缺者;
We're now thinking that, in fact, this is probably the start of a new way of regulating and addressing international challenges. 事实上,现在我们认为 这可能只是 一个调节和解决 国际争端的新方法的开端。
regulating:vt.调节;校正(regulate的现在分词);
Call it network governance. Call it what you will. 我们称之为网络管理,你想怎么称呼都行,
The private actors, companies and NGOs, are going to have to get together to face the major challenges we are going to face. 私营部门 公司和非政府组织, 正打算联合起来 应对我们要面临的主要挑战。
get together:聚会
Just look at pandemics -- swine flu, bird flu , H1N1. 看看现在流行的-- 猪流感,禽流感,H1N1。
pandemics:大流行;流行病; swine:n.猪;卑贱的人; bird flu:n.禽流感(鸟类传染病,可感染人类并导致死亡);
Look at the health systems in so many countries. 看看各国的医疗系统。
Do they have the resources to face up to a serious pandemic? 他们是否有资源 来面对严重的流行病?
face up to:勇敢地面对;
No. 没有。
Could the private sector and NGOs get together and marshal a response? 私营部门和非政府组织 能否联合起来,并进行整顿?
private sector:n.(国家经济的)私营部分; marshal:n.元帅;司仪;执行官;v.收集;安排;控制人群;
Absolutely. 当然。
What they lack is that safe space to come together, agree and move to action. 他们缺乏的是安全的地方 聚集起来,达成一致, 做出决定。
That's what we're trying to provide. 那正是我们努力达到的。
I know as well that this often seems like an overwhelming level of responsibility for people to assume . 正如我知道的, 这正是 人们期望的 责任的最大化程度。
overwhelming:adj.势不可挡的; v.压倒; (overwhelm的现在分词) assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现;
'"You want me to deliver human rights throughout my global supply chain. “你想让我在全球供应链中 讲讲人权。
There are thousands of suppliers in there." 其中包含成百上千的供应商。
It seems too daunting , too dangerous, for any company to take on. 这似乎太令人畏缩,太危险 以至于没有一个公司可以实现。
daunting:adj.令人生畏的:令人胆怯的:v.使胆怯:使失去信心;(daunt的现在分词)
But there are companies. 但是仍然有一些公司实现了。
We have 4,000 companies who are members. 我们拥有4000个成员公司。
Some of them are very, very large companies. 一些是非常非常大的公司。
The sporting goods industry, in particular , stepped up to the plate and have done it. 特别是运动商品公司 已经提前完成了。
in particular:尤其,特别;
The example, the role model , is there. 角色模型就是一个例子。
role model:n.榜样;崇拜对象;
And whenever we discuss one of these problems that we have to address -- child labor in cottonseed farms in India -- this year we will monitor 50,000 cottonseed farms in India. 当我们讨论 必须面对的问题之一-- 印度棉籽农场中的童工-- 今年我们跟踪了印度的5万家棉籽农场。
cottonseed:n.棉籽;
It seems overwhelming. 这似乎大得惊人。
The numbers just make you want to zone out. 这个数字似乎让人想出局。
But we break it down to some basic realities. 但是我们逐项列出一些基本的现实情况。
And human rights comes down to a very simple proposition: can I give this person their dignity back? 人权 是非常简单的主张: 我能否归还他们的尊严?
Poor people, people whose human rights have been violated -- the crux of that is the loss of dignity, the lack of dignity. 穷人, 被侵害人权的人们-- 他们的症结是 失去尊严, 缺乏尊严。
violated:v.违反,违背(法律、协议等); (violate的过去分词和过去式) crux:n.关键;难题;十字架形,坩埚;
It starts with just giving people back their dignity. 刚开始是归还他们的尊严。
I was sitting in a slum outside Gurgaon just next to Delhi , one of the flashiest , brightest new cities popping up in India right now, and I was talking to workers who worked in garment sweatshops down the road , and I asked them what message they would like me to take to the brands . 我坐在Gurgaon的贫民窟外, 在德里(印度城市)旁边, 一个快速繁荣的新城市 现在正在印度崛起, 我和一些工人聊天。 他们为地下制衣血汗工厂工作。 我问他们希望带给品牌商什么讯息。
slum:vi.(为猎奇或救济等)去贫民窟;n.贫民窟;陋巷;脏乱的地方; Delhi:n.德里(印度城市名); flashiest:俗丽的,浮华的,虚饰的(flashy的最高级); down the road:只要沿着这条路;将来;在路上; brands:n.品牌;烙印(brand的复数);v.加商标于;铭刻于(brand的第三人称单数);
They didn't say money. 他们没有提到钱;
They said, "The people who employ us treat us like we are less than human, like we don't exist. 他们说,“那些雇主 进行非人的虐待, 似乎我们劳工根本不存在。
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
Please ask them to treat us like human beings." 请告诉他们,进行常人的对待。”
That's my simple understanding of human rights. 这是我对人权的简单理解。
That's my simple proposition to you, my simple plea to every decision-maker in this room, everybody out there. 那是我的简单主张, 对每个决议制定者的简单请求, 在场的人,以及外面的每个人。
plea:n.请求;恳求;答辩;借口; decision-maker:n.决策人;
We can all make a decision to come together and pick up the balls and run with the balls that governments have dropped. 我们可以一起 做出决定, 捡起球,跟随着那个 政府丢掉的球。
If we don't do it, we're abandoning hope, we're abandoning our essential humanity , and I know that's not a place we want to be, and we don't have to be there. 如果我们不做, 我们就放弃了希望, 放弃了基本的人性, 我知道那不是我们想要的, 我们没必要到那个地步。
abandoning:v.放弃;屈服;(abandon的现在分词) essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
So I appeal to you. 因此我呼吁大家,
appeal:n.上诉;吸引力;申诉;魅力;v.上诉;呼吁;申诉;恳求;
Join us, come into that safe space, and let's start to make this happen. 加入我们,来到安全的地方, 让我们为此开始努力。
Thank you very much. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)