返回首页

ArthurPottsDawson_2010G-_对可持续餐厅的展望_

Restaurants and the food industry in general are pretty much the most wasteful industry in the world. 一般说来餐厅和食品业 大概是世界上 最浪费资源的产业。
in general:总之,通常;一般而言; wasteful:adj.浪费的,不经济的;奢侈的;
For every calorie of food that we consume here in Britain today, 10 calories are taken to produce it. 现在我们在英国所消耗的每一卡路里的食物, 就需要耗用十倍的热量来生产,
consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁; calories:n.[物]卡路里(热量单位,calorie的复数);
That's a lot. 真的很多。
I want to take something rather humble to discuss. 我想要来谈谈一些 较为简朴的作法。
humble:adj.谦逊的; vt.使谦恭;
I found this in the farmers' market today, and if anybody wants to take it home and mash it later, you're very welcome to. 这是我今天在自由市场找到的, 如果有谁想要带回家捣成泥,就请便吧。
mash:n.饲料;糊状物;麦芽浆;vt.捣碎;调情;
The humble potato -- and I've spent a long time, 25 years, preparing these. 这只是个马铃薯, 我花了很长的时间 -- 25年 -- 才想出这个道理。
And it pretty much goes through eight different forms in its lifetime. 在它的生命里, 大约会历经八个不同的形式。
First of all , it's planted, and that takes energy. 首先,我们要栽种,这就耗掉不少能源,
First of all:adv.首先;
It grows and is nurtured . 马铃薯会成长,也会吸收养份,
nurtured:v.养育;培养;养护;支持(nurture的过去分词和过去式)
It's then harvested. 我们才能收成。
It's then distributed , and distribution is a massive issue . 接下来则是经销 经销牵扯到的问题很多。
distributed:adj.分布的;分散的;v.分发;分配;使分布(distribute的过去分词和过去式) distribution:n.分布;分配;分发;分销; massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
It's then sold and bought, and it's then delivered to me. 然后经过买卖, 送到了我的手上,
I basically take it, prepare it, and then people consume it -- hopefully they enjoy it. 我则是准备拿来烹调, 让人们吃下肚,希望大家都能满意。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
The last stage is basically waste, and this is is pretty much where everybody disregards it. 最后的阶段则是废弃物处理, 这也是大家最为忽略的阶段。
disregards:v.不理会;不顾;漠视;(disregard的第三人称单数)
There are different types of waste. 浪费可分为几种型态,
There's a waste of time; there's a waste of space; there's a waste of energy; and there's a waste of waste. 有人浪费时间、有人浪费空间、有人浪费能源, 也有人浪费废弃物。
And every business I've been working on over the past five years, 我在过去五年 所参与过的每一项工作里,
I'm trying to lower each one of these elements . 都致力于降低浪费。
elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
Okay, so you ask what a sustainable restaurant looks like. 好,你会问到底注重环保的餐厅长什么样子?
sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的;
Basically a restaurant just like any other. 其实这种餐厅和别的没有什么不同,
This is the restaurant, Acorn House. 就是个餐厅,这间叫做「橡实屋」,
Acorn:n.[植]橡子;[林]橡实;
Front and back. 正面和背面的照片。
So let me run you through a few ideas. 我来说明几个观念:
Floor: sustainable, recyclable . 地板:耐磨、可回收利用。
recyclable:adj.可回收利用的;可再循环的;
Chairs: recycled and recyclable. 椅子:回收制作,且可再回收利用。
recycled:n.再生纸;回收站;adj.[环境]回收利用的;可循环再造的;
Tables: Forestry Commission . 桌子:契约林地生产制造。
Forestry:n.林业;森林地;林学; Commission:n.委员会;佣金;犯;委任;委任状;vt.委任;使服役;委托制作;
This is Norwegian Forestry Commission wood. 这是用挪威契约林地生产的木材所制造,
Norwegian:adj.挪威的;挪威人的;挪威语的;n.挪威人;挪威语;
This bench, although it was uncomfortable for my mom -- she didn't like sitting on it, so she went and bought these cushions for me from a local jumble sale -- reusing, a job that was pretty good. 这张长椅,虽然我妈坐上去很不舒服, 她很不喜欢坐在上头, 但她跑到当地的杂货拍卖店买了些椅垫, 全是回收再制作的,手工还不赖。
cushions:n.软垫; v.起缓冲作用; jumble sale:n.旧杂物义卖(为教堂、学校或其他机构筹款);
I hate waste, especially walls. 我讨厌浪费,尤其是墙壁,
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
If they're not working, put a shelf on it, which I did, and that shows all the customers my products. 如果空着没用,就放个架子上去,我就是这么做的, 还可以向顾客展示我的产品。
The whole business is run on sustainable energy. 整间餐厅都是使用可再生能源,
This is powered by wind. All of the lights are daylight bulbs . 像是利用风力发电,里面的灯泡也全都改成日光灯,
daylight:n.日光; bulbs:n.[电]灯泡;[植]鳞茎;大浇斗(bulb的复数);
Paint is all low-volume chemical , which is very important when you're working in the room all the time. 油漆则是选用化学成份最低的品牌, 这对全天都在餐厅里工作的人来说是很重要的。
chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的;
I was experimenting with these -- I don't know if you can see it -- but there's a work surface there. 我一直在实验这个,我不知道你们是否看得出来, 但我在这表面还多漆了一层,
And that's a plastic polymer . 那是塑化聚合物。
polymer:n.[高分子]聚合物;
And I was thinking, well I'm trying to think nature, nature, nature. 我一直在想着要用自然的东西,
But I thought, no, no, experiment with resins , experiment with polymers . 但我想也可以用合成树脂来做些实验, 用聚合物做些实验。
resins:n.[树脂]树脂;松香酯(resin的复数);v.用树脂处理(resin的三单形式); polymers:n.[高分子]聚合物;[高分子]高分子(polymer的复数);
Will they outlive me? They probably might. 这些东西会比我长寿吗?很可能会。
outlive:v.比…活得长;比…经久;经受住;渡过…而存在;
Right, here's a reconditioned coffee machine . 这是一台重新调整过的咖啡机,
reconditioned:adj.再修复的;已检修了的;v.修整;使复原(recondition的过去分词); coffee machine:n.投币咖啡机;
It actually looks better than a brand new one -- so looking good there. 看起来比一台新的还要好,摆在这里真好。
brand new:adj.崭新的;最近获得的;
Now reusing is vital . 重新回收利用资源是很重要的,
vital:adj.至关重要的;生死攸关的;有活力的;
And we filter our own water. 我们还过滤自己要喝的水,
filter:n.滤波器;过滤器;滤光器;滤声器;v.过滤;渗入;(用程序)筛选;缓行;
We put them in bottles, refrigerate them, and then we reuse that bottle again and again and again. 把水装进瓶子里,放进冰箱, 一再地重覆使用同一个瓶子。
refrigerate:vt.冷藏,冷冻;使冷却;使清凉; again and again:adv.再三地,反复地;
Here's a great little example. 这里还有一个很棒的小例子,
If you can see this orange tree, it's actually growing in a car tire, which has been turned inside out and sewn up. 看看这株橘子树,它其实是被种在一个汽车轮胎里, 我们把车胎内面翻出来,再缝起来而已。
sewn:v.缝纫,缝上;装订(sew的过去分词);
It's got my compost in it, which is growing an orange tree, which is great. 我还放了些堆肥在里头,就长出了这株橘子树,很棒吧!
compost:n.堆肥;混合物;vt.堆肥;施堆肥;
This is the kitchen, which is in the same room. 这是厨房,就在同一个房间里。
I basically created a menu that allowed people to choose the amount and volume of food that they wanted to consume. 我设计了菜单,它可以让人们 挑选食物的份量, 这样大家就可以各取所需,
volume:n.体积;容积;音量;响度;一册;合订本
Rather than me putting a dish down, they were allowed to help themselves to as much or as little as they wanted. 而不是每次都由我端出相同份量的菜肴, 我要让顾客自己决定自己要吃多少份量。
Okay, it's a small kitchen. It's about five square meters. 好,这个厨房不大,大约只有五平方公尺而已,
It serves 220 people a day. 但一天却可以供应220人用餐。
We generate quite a lot of waste. 我们每天会制造出许多废物,
generate:v.产生;引起;
This is the waste room. 就堆在这个废弃物室。
You can't get rid of waste. 人们不可能不制造废弃物,
But this story's not about eliminating it, it's about minimizing it. 但我要说的不是去消灭废弃物,而是尽量减少废弃物的产生。
eliminating:v.排除;清除;消除;淘汰;(eliminate的现在分词) minimizing:v.使减少到最低限度;降低;贬低;使显得不重要;(minimize的现在分词)
In here, I have produce and boxes that are unavoidable . 我会产生废弃物,还得处理废弃物, 这都是免不了的工作。
unavoidable:adj.不可避免的;不能废除的;
I put my food waste into this dehydrating , desiccating macerator -- turns food into an inner material, which I can store and then compost later. 我把废弃的食品放进干燥脱水机里, 把它们变成干燥的状态, 我就可以先储存着,日后再来做堆肥。
dehydrating:v.使(食物)脱水;(身体)失水,脱水;(dehydrate的现在分词) desiccating:vi.变干;vt.使干;干贮; inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的;
I compost it in this garden. 我在院子里制作堆肥,
All of the soil you can see there is basically my food, which is generated by the restaurant, and it's growing in these tubs , which I made out of storm-felled trees and wine casks and all kinds of things. 你在院子里看到的所有土壤,其实都是食物残渣, 是餐厅里的废物垃圾, 我把厨余放进我用漂流木 和酒桶这类东西做出这些管子的
generated:v.产生;引起;(generate的过去式和过去分词) tubs:n.浴盆;桶;v.把…装入桶;为…洗盆浴; casks:n.木桶,桶;vt.装入桶内;
Three compost bins -- go through about 70 kilos of raw vegetable waste a week -- really good, makes fantastic compost. 三个堆肥箱子... 每周要处理大约70公斤的蔬菜厨余, 真的很棒,是很棒的堆肥,
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
A couple of wormeries in there too. 也有很多虫子住在里头。
And actually one of the wormeries was a big wormery. I had a lot of worms in it. 其中有一种虫子真的很大, 各种虫子都有,
worms:n.蠕虫;寄生虫;幼虫;v.蠕动,曲折行进;(worm的第三人称单数和复数)
And I tried taking the dried food waste, putting it to the worms, going, "There you go, dinner." 有一次我还把一些干燥的厨余, 拿到虫子前面说:「给你当晚餐。」
It was like vegetable jerky , and killed all of them. 可能是那片干燥蔬菜有问题吧... 虫子全都死了。
jerky:adj.抽筋的;急动的;不平稳的;n.牛肉干;
I don't know how many worms [were] in there, but I've got some heavy karma coming, I tell you. 我不知道里头到底有多少虫子, 但我想我会有很严重的报应吧!
karma:n.因果报应,因缘;
(Laughter) (笑声)
What you're seeing here is a water filtration system. 你现在看到的是滤水系统,
filtration:n.过滤;筛选;
This takes the water out of the restaurant, runs it through these stone beds -- this is going to be mint in there -- and I sort of water the garden with it. 水会从这里流到餐厅外面, 流过这一层石头来过滤,这里应该有种些薄荷才对, 我会用过滤过的水来浇花。
mint:n.薄荷;[金融]造币厂,巨款;v.铸造,铸币;
And I ultimately want to recycle that, put it back into the loos , maybe wash hands with it, I don't know. 我还想更进一步来回收利用这些水, 或许用来洗手吧,我不知道。
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; loos:n.损耗,洗手间(loo复数形式);
So, water is a very important aspect . 水是很重要的一环,
aspect:n.方面;层面;外观;方位;
I started meditating on that and created a restaurant called Waterhouse. 我深入研究之后, 开了一家叫做「水屋」的餐厅。
meditating:v.冥想;沉思;考虑;谋划;(meditate的现在分词)
If I could get Waterhouse to be a no-carbon restaurant that is consuming no gas to start with, that would be great. 如果我能把「水屋」打造成一个没有碳排放的餐厅, 就从不用瓦斯开始,那一定很棒!
consuming:adj.消费的;强烈的;v.消耗(consume的ing形式);
I managed to do it. 我一定会想办法做到的!
This restaurant looks a little bit like Acorn House -- same chairs, same tables. 这家餐厅看起来有点像橡实屋, 同样的桌椅,
They're all English and a little bit more sustainable. 全都是英国制造,而且很耐用,
But this is an electrical restaurant. 但这间餐厅是间电气餐厅,
electrical:adj.有关电的;电气科学的;
The whole thing is electric, the restaurant and the kitchen. 全部只使用电,包含餐厅和厨房,
And it's run on hydroelectricity , so I've gone from air to water. 全都是靠水力发电, 所以我已经用过风力和水力发电了。
hydroelectricity:n.水力电气;
Now it's important to understand that this room is cooled by water, heated by water, filters its own water, and it's powered by water. 各位要了解一点, 这很重要, 这个房间是靠水来降温,也靠水来供应暖气, 回收的水会再过滤, 运用水来发电,
filters:n.过滤器; v.过滤; (filter的第三人称单数和复数)
It literally is Waterhouse. 名符其实的水屋。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
The air handling system inside it -- 里头的排风系统,
I got rid of air-conditioning because I thought there was too much consumption going on there. 我没有使用空调, 因为我觉得太耗能源了,
air-conditioning:n.空调系统;空气调节; consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨;
This is basically air-handling. 所以只简单使用这种排风系统,
I'm taking the temperature of the canal outside, pumping it through the heat exchange mechanism , it's turning through these amazing sails on the roof, and that, in turn, is falling softly onto the people in the restaurant, cooling them, or heating them, as the need may be. 我把外面河道的温度引进来, 利用热能交换的机制把它抽进来, 靠屋顶上那些令人惊叹的帆转动, 让风缓缓地降在餐厅客人身上, 让他们感受到凉风,或是热风,随季节而定。
pumping:v.用泵输送;涌出;奔流;快速摇动;(pump的现在分词) exchange:n.交换;交流;交易所;兑换;v.交换;交易;兑换; mechanism:n.机制;原理,途径;进程;机械装置;技巧; softly:adv.温柔地;柔和地;柔软地;静静地;
And this is an English willow air diffuser , and that's softly moving that air current through the room. 这是英国制的柳条风扇, 它缓慢地转动, 让气流在房间里流动。
willow:n.柳树;柳;柳木;v.用打棉机打开和清理 diffuser:n.[机]扩散器;散布者;[航][机]扩压器;
Very advanced , no air-conditioning -- I love it. 非常先进,完全没有使用空调 -- 我爱这玩意儿
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式)
In the canal, which is just outside the restaurant, there is hundreds of meters of coil piping. 在餐厅外面有一条河, 我们架设了数百公尺的管线,
coil:n.盘管;螺旋管;感应圈;(一)圈;v.卷;卷曲;蜿蜒流进;
This takes the temperature of the canal and turns it into this four-degrees of heat exchange. 把河道上的温度 和室内温度交换,大约有4度的温差。
I have no idea how it works, but I paid a lot of money for it. 我不知道这是怎样做到的,但我花了一大笔钱做这个。
I have no idea:我没有头绪…;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And what's great is one of the chefs who works in that restaurant lives on this boat -- it's off-grid; it generates all its own power. 最棒的是,有一个在餐厅里工作的厨师, 就住在船上,完全不使用电,而是自行发电,
generates:[计]生成;发生;
He's growing all his own fruit, and that's fantastic. 他种植自己所需的水果,真是太棒了!
There's no accident in names of these restaurants. 这些餐厅的命名是有意义的,
Acorn House is the element of wood; Waterhouse is the element of water; and I'm thinking, well, I'm going to be making five restaurants based on the five Chinese medicine acupuncture specialities . 橡实屋的主题是木材,水屋的主题是水, 我在想,我想要有 五间餐厅, 要以中国的五行为主题,
acupuncture:vt.对…施行针刺疗法;n.针刺;[中医]针刺疗法; specialities:n.专长,擅长;特殊项目(speciality的复数形式);
I've got water and wood. I'm just about to do fire. 我已经有水和木了,我还要开一间火餐厅,
I've got metal and earth to come. 还有以金和土为主题的餐厅。
So you've got to watch your space for that. 各位等着瞧吧!
Okay. So this is my next project. 好,这是我的下一个计画,
Five weeks old, it's my baby, and it's hurting real bad. 我想五个星期了, 它是我的宝贝儿,真的很不好做,
The People's Supermarket. 我要开一间「平民超市」。
So basically, the restaurants only really hit people who believed in what I was doing anyway. 基本上,我开的餐厅 只能吸引那些与我志同道合的顾客,
What I needed to do was get food out to a broader spectrum of people. 但我想要把我的食物 推广给更广泛的人群。
spectrum:n.光谱;频谱;范围;余象;
So people -- i.e., perhaps, more working-class -- or perhaps people who actually believe in a cooperative . 我的目标是蓝领阶级, 或是那些相信互相合作的人,
working-class:adj.工人阶级的;劳动阶级的; cooperative:adj.合作的;协作的;同心协力的;协助的;n.合作企业;合作社组织;
This is a social enterprise, not-for-profit cooperative supermarket. 这是一个社会型企业, 不以营利为目的的超市。
not-for-profit:adj.非营利的;无利可图的;
It really is about the social disconnect between food, communities in urban settings and their relationship to rural growers -- connecting communities in London to rural growers. 我们在这里只谈食物 和都市社区间的 社会联系, 以及社区和农夫间的关系, 我们要把伦敦社区和农夫的关系重新建立起来,
disconnect:vt.拆开,使分离;vi.断开; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的; rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; growers:雏;
Really important. 这真的很重要。
So I'm committing to potatoes; I'm committing to milk; 我要卖马铃薯,我要卖牛奶,
committing:v.做出;犯罪或错等;自杀;承诺,保证;(commit的现在分词)
I'm committing to leeks and broccoli -- all very important stuff . 我要卖葱和西兰花 -- 全都是很重要的食物。
leeks:n.韭菜;大葱;西蒜;青蒜(leek的复数); broccoli:n.花椰菜;西兰花; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
I've kept the tiles; I've kept the floors; 我已经铺好地砖,整理好地板,
I've kept the trunking; I've got in some recycled fridges; 准备好箱子,也准备了一些回收再利用的冰箱,
I've got some recycled tills; I've got some recycled trolleys . 还有回收再利用的收银机和手推车。
trolleys:n.手推车(trolley的复数形式);
I mean, the whole thing is is super-sustainable. 这整个计画简直是超极环保的,
In fact, I'm trying and I'm going to make this the most sustainable supermarket in the world. 实际上,我想要把这间超市 打造成全世界最环保的超市。
That's zero food waste. 完全没有食物浪费,
And no one's doing that just yet. 还没有人这么做过。
In fact, Sainsbury's, if you're watching, let's have a go. Try it on. 事实上,如果你关注一下, 只有圣贝瑞超市在进行尝试,
I'm going to get there before you. 我会比他们更早做到!
So nature doesn't create waste doesn't create waste as such. 自然就不会有浪费, 不会出现这么浪费的情形。
Everything in nature is used up in a closed continuous cycle with waste being the end of the beginning, and that's been something that's been nurturing me for some time, and it's an important statement to understand. 自然界的一切都是在一个封闭的循环里流动, 废弃物会是终点也是起点, 终有一天我们也会受益于这些废弃物, 这是我们必须了解的重要观念。
continuous:adj.连续的,持续的;继续的;连绵不断的; nurturing:v.养育;培养;扶持;支持;助长;(nurture的现在分词) statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单;
If we don't stand up and make a difference and think about sustainable food, think about the sustainable nature of it, then we may fail. 如果我们不挺身而出, 为世界做出一些改变, 如果我们不去思考食物的可持续性, 不去思考大自然的可持续性, 我们终有一天会灭亡。
make a difference:有影响,有关系;
But, I wanted to get up and show you that we can do it if we're more responsible . 我要身先士卒,让各位知道, 我们只要多担当一些责任就可以做到,
responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
Environmentally conscious businesses are doable . 有环保意识的商业是可行的,
Environmentally:adv.有关环境方面; conscious:adj.意识到的;故意的;神志清醒的; doable:adj.可做的;
They're here. You can see I've done three so far; 这种公司是存在的,我就已经有三家这样的公司了,
I've got a few more to go. 我还会继续做下去。
The idea is embryonic . 这个观念还在萌芽阶段,
embryonic:adj.[胚]胚胎的;似胚胎的;
I think it's important. 我认为这很重要,
I think that if we reduce, reuse, refuse and recycle -- right at the end there -- recycling is the last point I want to make; but it's the four R's, rather than the three R's -- then I think we're going to be on our way. 我们要做到减量、重覆使用、拒绝浪费、 回收利用,都写在这下面。 回收再利用是我要强调的最后一个重点, 所以总共有四个重点,而不只是三个而已。 我想我们正在理想中前行。
recycling:n.(资源,垃圾的)回收利用;v.回收;再循环利用(recycle的现在分词);
So these three are not perfect -- they're ideas. 这三家公司还不是很完美,他们代表了我的想法。
I think that there are many problems to come, but with help, I'm sure I'm going to find solutions. 我想我们会遇到许多困难, 但有了大家的协助,我相信一定能找到解决之道,
And I hope you all take part. 我希望各位都能参与其中。
Thank you very much. (Applause) 谢谢各位!