返回首页

ApolloRobbins_2013G-_错误引导的艺术_

Do you think it's possible to control someone's attention? 你们觉得人的注意力是可控制的吗?
Even more than that, what about predicting human behavior? 或者更进一步, 人的行为可预知吗?
predicting:v.预言;预告;预报;(predict的现在分词)
I think those are interesting ideas, if you could. 如果可以的话,我觉得这些想法很有趣。
I mean, for me, that would be the perfect superpower , actually kind of an evil way of approaching it. 对我来说,这些会是完美的超能力, 只不过是有点邪恶罢了。
superpower:n.超级大国;超级强权; evil:adj.邪恶的;不幸的;有害的;讨厌的;n.罪恶,邪恶;不幸; approaching:v.靠近,接近;接洽;建议;要求;(approach的现在分词)
But for myself, in the past, I've spent the last 20 years studying human behavior from a rather unorthodox way: picking pockets. 过去20年,我一直在用一种非传统的方式观察人类行为: 过去20年,我一直在用一种非传统的方式观察人类行为: 小偷小摸。
unorthodox:adj.非正统的;异端的;异教的;
When we think of misdirection , we think of something as looking off to the side, when actually it's often the things that are right in front of us that are the hardest things to see, the things that you look at every day that you're blinded to. 提到错误引导, 我们总觉得是将注意力放在事物的其他方面, 但实际上,往往在我们眼前的事情 是最难被发现的, 是最难被发现的,
misdirection:n.指示错误,指导错误;写错信封地址;
For example, how many of you still have your cell phones on you right now? 举个例子,现场有多少人身上带了手机? 举个例子,现场有多少人身上带了手机?
Great. Double-check . 很好,再检查一遍,
Double-check:v将…仔细检查,复核;n.复核;第二次检查;
Make sure you still have them on you. 很好,再检查一遍,
I was doing some shopping beforehand . 因为我刚才在场下转了转。
beforehand:adv.事先;预先;adj.提前的;预先准备好的;
Now you've looked at them probably a few times today, but I'm going to ask you a question about them. 你今天估计已经看过好几次手机了, 但我接下来要问你们一个问题。
Without looking at your cell phone directly yet, can you remember the icon in the bottom right corner? 不要看你的手机, 你能记得屏幕右下角是什么图标吗?
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
Bring them out, check, and see how accurate you were. 现在拿出手机,看一下,你猜对了吗?
accurate:adj.精确的;
How'd you do? Show of hands. Did we get it? 怎么样?猜对的请举手。
Now that you're done looking at those, close them down, because every phone has something in common. 好了,请放下手机。 每一部手机都有一个共同点,
No matter how you organize the icons, you still have a clock on the front. 那就是无论你如何整理图标, 你的首页都会显示时间。
organize:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;
So, without looking at your phone, what time was it? 那么,不看手机,现在几点了?
You just looked at your clock, right? 你们之前刚刚看了时间,不是吗?
It's an interesting idea. Now, I'll ask you to take that a step further with a game of trust. 非常有意思。接下来,我们把这个游戏更进一步。
Close your eyes. 闭上眼睛。
I realize I'm asking you to do that while you just heard there's a pickpocket in the room, but close your eyes. 我意识到我刚才告诉你们我是个小偷, 现在却要让你们闭眼睛,但还是请闭上。
pickpocket:n.扒手;
Now, you've been watching me for about 30 seconds. 到目前为止,你们观察我已经至少有30秒了。
With your eyes closed, what am I wearing? 请告诉我,我穿的什么衣服?
Make your best guess. 尽力想。
What color is my shirt? What color is my tie? 我的衬衫是什么颜色?领带是什么颜色?
Now open your eyes. 现在请睁开眼睛。
By a show of hands, were you right? 如果你猜对了,请举手。
It's interesting, isn't it? Some of us are a little bit more perceptive than others. It seems that way. 很有趣对不对?有些人的感知能力比其他人 要强一些,至少看起来是这样。
perceptive:adj.感知的,知觉的;有知觉力的;
But I have a different theory about that, that model of attention. 关于这种注意力模式,我有另外一种解释。
They have fancy models of attention, Posner's trinity model of attention. 注意力模式的理论有很多, 比如波斯纳的三位一体注意力模式。
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象; trinity:n.三位一体;三人一组;三个一组的东西;三倍;
For me, I like to think of it very simple, like a surveillance system. 我喜欢把它想得简单一点,就像一个监视系统。
surveillance:n.监督;监视;
It's kind of like you have all these fancy sensors , and inside your brain is a little security guard . 就好像你有许许多多的感觉器官, 在你的大脑内有一个小小保安人员,
sensors:n.[自]传感器,感应器;感测器(sensor的复数); security guard:保安人员;
For me, I like to call him Frank . 我先暂且把它称作弗兰克。
Frank:adj.坦白的,直率的;老实的;n.免费邮寄特权;v.免费邮寄;
So Frank is sitting at a desk. 弗兰克坐在桌子旁,
He's got all sorts of cool information in front of him, high-tech equipment, he's got cameras, he's got a little phone that he can pick up, listen to the ears, all these senses, all these perceptions . 他眼前有各种各样的信息, 高科技装置,照相机, 还有能接听讯息的手机, 各种感觉和知觉。
high-tech:adj.高科技的,高技术的;仿真技术的;n.高科技; perceptions:n.认知;观念(perception的复数);理解;
But attention is what steers your perceptions, is what controls your reality. It's the gateway to the mind. 但是注意力是能引导你的认知的东西, 它掌控你看到的现实,它是通往你的心灵的大门。
steers:驾驶;引领;某物;小公牛;引导;
If you don't attend to something, you can't be aware of it. 如果你不注意某个东西,你就不会察觉到它。
But ironically , you can attend to something without being aware of it. 有意思的是,你也会在自己不察觉的情况下注意到某个东西。
ironically:adv.讽刺地;说反话地;
That's why there's the cocktail effect: 这就是为什么会有鸡尾酒效应:
cocktail:n.鸡尾酒;开味食品;n.混合物;adj.鸡尾酒的;
When you're in a party, you're having conversations with someone, and yet you can recognize your name and you didn't even realize you were listening to that. 所谓鸡尾酒效应,是指当你在一个派对上专心与某人交谈时, 却能立马听到你的名字, 而你都没有意识到自己在听那个另外的对话。
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
Now, for my job, I have to play with techniques to exploit this, to play with your attention as a limited resource . 我的工作就是充分利用这个效应, 玩弄你们有限的注意力。
techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数) exploit:v.利用…为自己谋利;剥削;压榨;运用;发挥; limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式) resource:n.资源;资料;才智;财力;v.向…提供资金(或设备);
So if I could control how you spend your attention, if I could maybe steal your attention through a distraction . 来看看我能不能控制你支配自己的注意力的方式, 看看我能不能通过干扰来窃取你的注意力。
distraction:n.注意力分散;消遣;心烦意乱;
Now, instead of doing it like misdirection and throwing it off to the side, instead, what I choose to focus on is Frank, to be able to play with the Frank inside your head, your little security guard, 现在,与其进行错误引导 并将其转移到其他方面, 我选择的是专注于弗兰克, 与你脑中的弗兰克,也就是那个小保安,游戏一场, 与你脑中的弗兰克,也就是那个小保安,游戏一场,
and get you, instead of focusing on your external senses, just to go internal for a second. 与你脑中的弗兰克,也就是那个小保安,游戏一场, 而是专注于内部感知。
external:n.外部;外观;形式;外部情况;adj.外部的;外面的;外界的;外来的; internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的;
So if I ask you to access a memory, like, what is that? 如果我让你读取一段记忆,比如:这是什么?
What just happened? Do you have a wallet? 刚才发生了什么?你有钱包吗?
Do you have an American Express in your wallet? 你钱包里有运通卡(信用卡)吗?
Express:v.表达; adj.特快的; n.特快列车; v.使用快速服务;
And when I do that, your Frank turns around. 当我问这些问题的时候,弗兰克转过身去,
He accesses the file. He has to rewind the tape. 他去找资料,他必须倒带。
rewind:n.重绕;倒带器;vt.倒回;重绕;vi.倒回;重绕;
And what's interesting is, he can't rewind the tape at the same time that he's trying to process new data. 但有趣的是,他在处理新信息的时候 不能进行倒带这一任务。
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
Now, I mean, this sounds like a good theory, but I could talk for a long time and tell you lots of things, and they may be true, a portion of them, but I think it's better if I tried to show that to you here live. 这听起来是个挺棒的理论, 我可以讲很久,告诉你们很多东西, 它们中有一些可能是真的, 但是我认为当场演示效果会更好。
portion:n.部分;(食物的)一份;分担的责任;v.把…分成若干份(或部分);
So if I come down, I'm going to do a little bit of shopping. 所以如果我走下台,我又要逛一下了。
Just hold still where you are. 请保持原地不动。
Hello, how are you? It's lovely to see you. 你好,见到你很高兴。
You did a wonderful job onstage . 你在台上的演讲很棒。
onstage:adj.台上的;台上演出的;adv.上台;上场;
You have a lovely watch that doesn't come off very well. 你的手表不错,但有点不好取。
Do you have your ring as well? 你有戒指吗?
Good. Just taking inventory . You're like a buffet . 很好,只是清点一下。你们简直就像丰盛的自助餐厅,
inventory:n.存货,存货清单;详细目录;财产清册; buffet:n.自助餐; vt.对…打来打去; adj.快餐式的
It's hard to tell where to start, there's so many great things. 不知道从儿哪开始啊,这么多好东西。
Hi, how are you? Good to see you. 你好,很高兴见到你。
Hi, sir, could you stand up for me, please? Just right where you are. 先生你好,能麻烦你站起来一下吗?站在原地就好。
stand up for:支持,坚持;拥护;
Oh, you're married. You follow directions well. 哦,你结婚了,不错。
That's nice to meet you, sir. 很高兴见到你,先生。
You don't have a whole lot inside your pockets. Anything down by the pocket over here? 你的口袋里似乎没什么东西,下面口袋还有什么吗?
Hopefully so. Have a seat. There you go. You're doing well. 希望有吧,请坐。谢谢!
Hi, sir, how are you? 先生你好!
Good to see you, sir. You have a ring, a watch. 很高兴见到你,你戴了戒指,还有手表。
Do you have a wallet on you? Joe: I don't. 您身上有钱包吗? 乔:没有。
Apollo Robbins: Well, we'll find one for you. 罗宾:很好,待会儿我找一个给你。
Apollo:n.阿波罗(太阳神);美男子;
Come on up this way, Joe. 请往这边走,乔。
Give Joe a round of applause . 请为乔鼓掌。
applause:n.欢呼,喝采;鼓掌欢迎;
Come on up Joe. Let's play a game. 乔,请上台,让我们玩个游戏。
(Applause) (掌声)
Pardon me. 不好意思。
I don't think I need this clicker anymore. You can have that. 我觉得我不需要这个遥控器了,给你吧。
clicker:n.排字工头;鞋匠工头;站在店外招徕顾客者;遥控器;
Thank you very much. I appreciate that. 谢谢,非常感谢!
appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解;
Come on up to the stage, Joe. Let's play a little game now. 请上台,乔。我们玩个游戏吧!
Do you have anything in your front pockets? Joe: Money. 你前面的裤袋里有什么东西吗? 乔:现金。
AR: Money. All right, let's try that. 罗宾:现金,很好,让我们试试。
Can you stand right over this way for me? 你能站到这边来吗?
Turn around and, let's see, if I give you something that belongs to me, this is just something I have, a poker chip . 请转过来。 嗯,如果我把我的东西给你, 我有一枚扑克筹码,
chip:v.削,凿;削成碎片;剥落;碎裂;n.[电子]芯片;筹码;碎片;(食物的)小片;薄片;
Hold out your hand for me. Watch it kind of closely. 把你的手拿出来,看好了。
Now this is a task for you to focus on. 现在需要你专注地做一件事。
Now you have your money in your front pocket here? Joe: Yup. 你前面裤袋里有现金,对吗? 乔:是的。
AR: Good. I'm not going to actually put my hand in your pocket. 罗宾:很好,我可没打算把手伸到你口袋里,
I'm not ready for that kind of commitment . 我还没准备好心理准备。
commitment:n.承诺;投入;保证;许诺;
One time a guy had a hole in his pocket, and that was rather traumatizing for me. 之前有一次碰到一个人,他的口袋里有个洞, 那次经历给我留下了巨大的心理阴影。
traumatizing:vt.使…受损伤;使…受精神创伤;
I was looking for his wallet and he gave me his phone number. 我本来是在找他的钱包,结果他给了我他的电话号码。
It was a big miscommunication . 真是个巨大的误会。
miscommunication:n.错误传达;
So let's do this simply. Squeeze your hand. 我们开始吧,请握紧你的手。
Squeeze:v.挤;紧握;勒索;压榨;n.压榨;紧握;拥挤;佣金;
Squeeze it tight. Do you feel the poker chip in your hand? Joe: I do. 紧紧地握着,能感觉到手中的筹码吗? 乔:能。
AR: Would you be surprised if I could take it out of your hand? Say yes. 罗宾:如果我能将它从你手中取出,你会惊讶吗?请说“会”。
take it out of:使…疲乏;向…报复;强行从…中拿走;
Joe: Very. AR: Good. 乔:我会非常惊讶。 罗宾:很好。
Open your hand. Thank you very much. 乔:我会非常惊讶。 罗宾:很好。
I'll cheat if you give me a chance. 如果你稍有疏忽,我是会作弊的。
Make it harder for me. Just use your hand. 现在给我加大点难度。
Grab my wrist , but squeeze, squeeze firm. 用你的手抓住我的手腕,死死地抓紧。
Grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物; wrist:n.手腕;腕关节;v.用腕力移动[送出,抛掷等];
Did you see it go? 你看到筹码溜走了吗?
Joe: No. AR: No, it's not here. Open your hand. 乔:没有。 罗宾:没有,但它不在这,张开手。
See, while we're focused on the hand, it's sitting on your shoulder right now. 看到了吧,当我们专注于手的时候, 它其实已经落到了你的肩膀上。
Go ahead and take it off. 请将它取下。
Now, let's try that again. 现在,让我们再来一遍。
Hold your hand out flat. Open it up all the way. 把手张开,张到最大。
Put your hand up a little bit higher, but watch it close there, Joe. 请稍微抬起一点,但是要紧紧看着它。
See, if I did it slowly, it'd be back on your shoulder. 看,如果我动作慢一点,它还是会回到你肩膀上。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Joe, we're going to keep doing this till you catch it. 乔,我们可以一直这样做,直到你抓住它为止。
You're going to get it eventually . I have faith in you. 你最终会抓住它的,我相信你。
eventually:adv.最后,终于; faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰;
Squeeze firm. You're human, you're not slow. 抓紧了。作为人类,你动作敏捷。
It's back on your shoulder. 它又回到你肩膀上了。
You were focused on your hand. That's why you were distracted . 刚才你一直专注于你的手,所以你的注意力转移了。
distracted:adj.心烦意乱; v.转移(注意力); (distract的过去分词和过去式)
While you were watching this, I couldn't quite get your watch off. It was difficult. 当你专注手的时候,我不能取下你的手表,太难了。
Yet you had something inside your front pocket. 但是你前方口袋里还有东西,
Do you remember what it was? 你还记得里面装着什么吗?
Joe: Money. 乔:现金
AR: Check your pocket. See if it's still there. Is it still there? (Laughter) 罗宾:检查下你的口袋,看看现金还在不在,还在吗? (笑声)
Oh, that's where it was. Go ahead and put it away. 哦,它在这儿呢,请将它放回去。
We're just shopping. This trick's more about the timing, really. 我们只是到处看看。这个游戏更多的是对时间的把握。
I'm going to try to push it inside your hand. 我接下来会把它放在你手里。
Put your other hand on top for me, would you? 能把你的另一只手放在上面吗?
It's amazingly obvious now, isn't it? 这一切出乎意料的显而易见,不是吗?
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
It looks a lot like the watch I was wearing, doesn't it? 这很像我现在带着的手表,对吗?
(Laughter) (Applause) (笑声)(掌声)
Joe: That's pretty good. That's pretty good. AR: Oh, thanks. 乔:这太神奇了。 罗宾:谢谢!
But it's only a start. Let's try it again, a little bit differently. 这仅仅是个开始。我们再来一次,但这次有点不同。
Hold your hands together. Put your other hand on top. 把你的手放在一起,把另一只手放在上面,
Now if you're watching this little token , this obviously has become a little target. It's like a red herring . 当你在注视这枚筹码的时候, 这就成了一个小目标,就像是红色的鲱鱼。
token:n.代币;代金券;赠券;adj.装样子的;敷衍的;象征性的; red herring:n.题外话;转移注意力的事;[食]熏青鱼;
If we watch this kind of close, it looks like it goes away. 如果我们认真盯着它,好像它已经溜走了。
It's not back on your shoulder. 这次它不在你肩膀上,
It falls out of the air, lands right back in the hand. 它从空中掉下来,落在了手上。
Did you see it go? 看清楚了吗?
Yeah, it's funny. We've got a little guy. He's union. He works up there all day. 嗯,是很有趣。 上面有个人,跟我一伙儿的,整天干这事儿。
If I did it slowly, if it goes straightaway , it lands down by your pocket. I believe is it in this pocket, sir? 如果我做得慢点,它马上就溜走了, 这次它降落在你的口袋里了。在你的口袋里吗?
straightaway:n.直线跑道;adj.通俗易懂的;立刻的;笔直的;
No, don't reach in your pocket. That's a different show. 别,别把手伸进口袋,那是另外一个节目。
So -- (Squeaking noise) -- that's rather strange. They have shots for that. 嗯,(吱吱声)这是有点儿奇怪,可以打针。
Can I show them what that is? That's rather bizarre . Is this yours, sir? 我能给大家展示一下这个吗? 真奇怪。先生,请问这是你的吗?
bizarre:adj.奇异的(指态度,容貌,款式等);
I have no idea how that works. We'll just send that over there. 我不知道这是怎么回事。我们把它放那儿就好了。
I have no idea:我没有头绪…;
That's great. I need help with this one. 很好,我这儿需要一点帮助。
Step over this way for me. 请站到这边来。
Now don't run away. You had something down by your pants pocket. 请别跑,你裤子口袋里还有点儿东西。
I was checking mine. I couldn't find everything, but I noticed you had something here. 我在找,可是怎么也找不到, 但我注意到你那儿似乎有点东西。
Can I feel the outside of your pocket for a moment? 我能摸一下你的口袋外面吗?
Down here I noticed this. Is this something of yours, sir? 我发现了这玩意儿。先生,请问这是你的吗?
Is this? I have no idea. That's a shrimp . 是吗?我完全不知道是怎么回事,那是一只虾。
shrimp:n.虾;小虾;矮小的人;vi.捕虾;adj.有虾的;虾制的;
Joe: Yeah. I'm saving it for later. 乔:嗯,这是我为晚点时间准备的。
AR: You've entertained all of these people in a wonderful way, better than you know. 罗宾:你给在场所有人带来了欢乐, 比你想象的还要好。
So we'd love to give you this lovely watch as a gift. (Laughter) 所以我想把这块手表送给你以示感谢(笑声),
Hopefully it matches his taste. 希望它合你口味。
But also, we have a couple of other things, a little bit of cash, and then we have a few other things. 此外,我还有其他礼物要送给你, 一点现金,还有点其他东西,
These all belong to you, along with a big round of applause from all your friends. (Applause) 这些都是你的, 还有来自现场朋友的热烈掌声。(掌声)
Joe, thank you very much. 乔:谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
So, same question I asked you before, but this time you don't have to close your eyes. 那么,我想再问一遍最开始的问题, 但这次不需要你们闭上眼睛,
What am I wearing? 我今天穿了什么?
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
Attention is a powerful thing. 注意力是非常强大的东西。
Like I said, it shapes your reality. 正如我之前所说的,它决定了你的现实世界。
So, I guess I'd like to pose that question to you. 所以,我想问大家一个问题,
pose:v.引起; n.装腔作势; (为画像、拍照等摆的)姿势;
If you could control somebody's attention, what would you do with it? 如果你能控制一个人的注意力, 你会用它做什么?
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause) (掌声)