返回首页

AparnaMehta_2018S-_你网购退货的商品到去哪了?_

Hi. My name is Aparna. 大家好,我是阿帕纳。
I am a shopaholic -- 我是一个购物狂。
shopaholic:n.购物狂;adj.购物狂的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
and I'm addicted to online returns. 我非常喜欢网购再退货。
addicted:adj.上瘾的;上瘾;成瘾;有瘾;入迷;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Well, at least I was. 至少我曾经是这样。
At one time , I had two or three packages of clothing delivered to me every other day. 有一段时间,每隔一天我就会收到两三个服装包裹。
At one time:曾经,一度;同时;
I would intentionally buy the same item in a couple different sizes and many colors, because I did not know what I really wanted. 我会有意地买同样的东西, 但是尺寸和颜色都不同, 因为我不知道我真正想要的 是哪一个。
intentionally:adv.故意地,有意地; item:n.条款,项目;一则;一件商品(或物品);adj.又,同上;
So I overordered, I tried things on, and then I sent what didn't work back. 所以我多买一点,上身试试, 然后把不合适的退回去。
Once my daughter was watching me return some of those packages back, and she said, "Mom, I think you have a problem." 有一次我女儿看着我 把一些快递包裹退回去, 她说,“妈,我觉得你有点问题”。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I didn't think so. 我不这样认为。
I mean, it's free shipping and free returns, right? 我的意思是,快递和退货都是免费的 对吧?
(Laughter) (笑声)
I didn't even think twice about it, until I heard a statistic at work that shocked me. 对此,我之前从未多想过。 直到我在工作中听到一个 令我震惊的数据。
think twice:再三考虑;重新考虑; statistic:n.统计学;统计数字;统计资料;(一项)统计数据;adj.统计(上)的;
You see, I'm a global solutions director for top-tier retail , and we were in a meeting with one of my largest customers, discussing how to streamline costs. 我是全球顶级零售解决方案总监, 当时,我们在和最大的客户开会, 讨论如何缩减成本。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; retail:vt.零售;转述;vi.零售;n.零售;adv.以零售方式;adj.零售的; streamline:vt.把…做成流线型; n.流线; adj.流线型的;
One of their biggest concerns was managing returns. 客户最担心的一个问题 就是管理退货商品。
concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式);
Just this past holiday season alone, they had 7.5 million pieces of clothing returned to them. 就在刚刚结束的假期里, 他们有750万件退货商品。
I could not stop thinking about it. 我一直在想这件事。
What happens to all these returned clothes? 这些退回来的衣服怎么办?
So I came home and researched. 于是我回家上网搜索,
And I learned that every year, four billion pounds of returned clothing ends up in the landfill . 我发现,每一年都有 180多万吨的退货衣物被扔进了垃圾堆。
landfill:n.垃圾填埋地;垃圾堆;
That's like every resident in the US did a load of laundry last night and decided to throw it in the trash today. 就像所有美国人昨晚都洗了 一大堆衣服, 然后今天就把它们扔掉一样。
resident:adj.居住的;住院医师;定居的;n.居民; laundry:n.洗衣店,洗衣房;要洗的衣服;洗熨;洗好的衣服; trash:n.垃圾;废物;v.丢弃;修剪树枝;
I was horrified . 我被吓坏了。
horrified:adj.惊骇的;带有恐怖感的;v.惊骇(horrify的过去式和过去分词);使…战悚;
I'm like, "Of all people, 我想,“在所有人中间,
I should be able to help prevent this." 偏偏我有能力阻值这一切。“
(Laughter) (笑声)
My job is to find solutions to logistical issues like these -- not create them. 我的工作是寻找解决 这些物流问题的办法, 而不是制造问题。
logistical:adj.后勤方面的;运筹的,逻辑的; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
So this issue became very personal to me. 所以这个问题对我来说非常私人。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
I said, "You know what? We have to solve this." 我说,“你知道吗? 我们必须解决这个问题。”
And we can, with some of the existing systems we already have in place. 利用现有的一些系统, 我们有能力解决这个问题。
And then I started to wonder: How did we get here? 然后我开始想: 我们是怎么走到这一步的?
I mean, it was only like six years ago when a study recommended that offering free online returns would drive customers to spend more. 我是说,提供免费网购退货服务 可以促进消费的研究 也才是六年前才提出的。
recommended:v.推荐;举荐;介绍;劝告;建议;(recommend的过去分词和过去式)
We started seeing companies offering free online returns to drive more sales and provide a better experience. 我们开始看到 一些公司提供免费的在线退货服务 来增大销量, 让顾客有更好的购物体验。
What we didn't realize is that this would lead to more items being returned as well. 我们没有意识到的是 这同样会导致有更多的商品被退回。
items:n.项目;一件商品(或物品);一则,一条(新闻)(item的复数)
In the US, companies lost 351 billion dollars in sales in 2017 alone. 美国公司为此损失的销售额 高达3510亿美元, 这还只是2017年的数据。
Retailers are scrambling to recover their losses. 零售商忙于弥补损失。
Retailers:n.零售商;零售店;(retailer的复数) scrambling:v.爬,攀登;争抢;抢占;争夺;艰难地(或仓促地)完成(scramble的现在分词)
They try to place that returned item online to be sold again, or they'll sell it to a discount partner or a liquidator . 他们把退回的商品重新放到网上销售, 或者卖给打折销售商, 或者进行清算。
discount:n.折扣;vt.低估;打折扣;打折出售 liquidator:n.清算人;公司资产清理人;
Basically , if companies cannot find a place for this item quickly and economically , its place becomes the trash. 基本上,如果这些公司不能尽快和经济地处理退货商品, 那这些商品就会变成垃圾。
Basically:adv.主要地,基本上; economically:adv.经济地;在经济上;节俭地;
Suddenly, I felt very guilty for being that shopper , somebody who contributes to this. 突然间,我为自己也是那种 共同造成这种局面的购物者 感到惭愧。
guilty:adj.有罪的;内疚的; shopper:n.购物者;顾客; contributes:[图情]投稿;[经]捐助;[经]捐献(contribute的第三人称单数);
Who would have thought my innocent shopping behavior would be hurting not only me, but our planet as well? 谁会想到我无知的购物行为 不仅会伤害自己, 同时还会破坏环境?
innocent:adj.无辜的;无罪的;无知的;n.天真的人;笨蛋;
And as I thought about what to do, 当我思考要怎么做时,
I kept thinking: 我不停地思考:
Why does the item have to be returned to the retailer in the first place ? 为什么一开始就必须把商品 还给零售商呢?
in the first place:首先;起初;
What if there was another way, a win-win for everyone? 如果有另一种方法, 对每个人来说都是双赢的方法呢?
What if:如果…怎么办? win-win:adj.双赢的;互利互惠的;
What if when a person is trying to return something, it could go to the next shopper who wants it, and not the retailer? 如果一个人想要退货, 商品是寄给下一个想要它的顾客, 而不是零售商呢?
What if, instead of a return, they could do what I call a "green turn"? 如果人们不退货, 而是采取我所说的“绿色转换”呢?
Consumers could use an app to take pictures of the item and verify the condition while returning it. 消费者可以用一个APP把商品拍照, 并在退货时验证条件。
Consumers:n.消费者;顾客;用户;(consumer的复数) verify:vt.核实;查证;
Artificial intelligence systems could then sort these clothes by condition -- mint condition or slightly used -- and direct it to the next appropriate person. 人工智能系统可以根据情况 对这些衣服进行分类—— 崭新的或者轻微用过的, 然后送给对应需要的人。
Artificial intelligence:n.人工智能; mint:n.薄荷;[金融]造币厂,巨款;v.铸造,铸币; slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出;
Mint-conditioned clothes could automatically go to the next buyer, while slightly used clothes could be marked down and offered online again. 崭新的衣服可以卖给其他顾客, 轻微使用的衣服可以降价, 再次在网上出售。
automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的;
The retailer can decide the business rules on the number of times a particular item can be resold . 零售商可以根据 特定商品的转售次数 决定业务规则。
resold:v.再出售(resell的过去分词);
All that the consumer would need to do is obtain a mobile code, take it to the nearest shipping place to be packed and shipped, and off it goes from one buyer to the next, not the landfill. 消费者需要做的就是 获得一个移动代码, 到最近的发货地点 包装、发货, 然后商品就可以从一个买家 到下一个买家, 而不是变成垃圾。
obtain:vi.获得;流行;vt.获得; mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的;
Now you will ask, "Would people really go through all this trouble?" 现在你会问, “人们真的不怕这些麻烦吗?”
I think they would if they had incentives , like loyalty points or cash back. 我认为如果有激励措施的话, 就不会, 比如忠诚积分或者返现。
incentives:n.激励;奖励;诱因(incentive的复数形式);奖励措施; loyalty:n.忠诚;忠心;忠实;忠于…感情;
Let's call it "green cash." 我们称作“绿色货币”。
There would be a whole new opportunity to make money from this new customer base looking to buy these returns. 将会有一个全新的机会 从这些愿意购买退货的 新的客户群赚钱。
customer base:n.(统称某种产品或服务的)客户;
This system would make a fun thing like shopping a spiritual experience that helps save our planet. 在这个系统交易把有趣的购物体验, 变成一种 有助于环境保护的精神体验。
spiritual:n.圣歌(尤指美国南部黑人的);adj.精神的,心灵的;
(Applause) (掌声)
This is doable and would probably take six months to weave some of our existing systems and run a pilot. 这是可行的, 可能需要6个月的时间 来改造我们现有的一些系统 并开始试运行。
doable:adj.可做的; weave:v.编,织;(用…)编成;编造(故事等);n.织法;编法;编织式样;
Even before any of these logistical systems are in place, each of us shoppers can act now, if every single adult in the US made a few small changes to our shopping behavior. 甚至在这些后勤系统到位之前, 我们每一个购物者现在就可以行动, 如果美国每一个成年人 都在购物行为上做一点改变。
shoppers:n.购物者;(商店的)顾客;(shopper的复数)
Take the extra time to research and think -- 多花点时间去调查和思考——
extra time:n.[体]加时(赛);延长(赛);
Do I really need this item? 我真的需要这个商品吗?
No: Do I really want this item? -- before making a purchase . 不。我真的想要这个商品吗? 在购买之前就想好。
purchase:n.购买;采购;购买的东西;购买项目;v.购买;采购;
And if every one of us adults in the US returned five less items this year, we would keep 240 million pounds of clothes out of the landfill. 如果美国每一个成年人 每年少退回五件商品, 就能避免十多万吨的衣服沦为垃圾。
Six percent reduction , just like that. 这样就能减少百分之六的服装垃圾。
reduction:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图;
This environmental problem that we have created is not thousands of years away; it's happening today, and must stop now to prevent growing landfills across the globe. 这次我们造成的环境问题 不是几千年之后会发生的, 是当今正在上演的问题, 现在必须停下, 阻止全球垃圾填埋的增涨。
landfills:n.废物填埋地(或场);废物填埋;填埋的废物;(landfill的复数)
I want to leave my daughter and my daughter's daughter a better and cleaner place than I found it, so I have not only stopped overordering, 我想给我女儿以及再下一代 一个更好、更干净的环境, 所以我不仅停止了过量地购物,
I recycle religiously as well. 还尽心地回收退货商品。
recycle:v.回收利用;再利用; religiously:adv.虔诚地,笃信地;
And you can, too. It's not difficult. 同样你也可以,这并不难。
Before we fill our shopping carts and our landfills with extra items that we don't want, let's pause next time we are shopping online and think twice about what we all hopefully really do want: a beautiful Earth to call home. 在我们用自己不想要的商品 填满购物车和垃圾场之前, 让我们在下次网购时先停一停, 仔细想想我们真正想要的是什么: 一个可以叫做家园的美丽地球。
carts:n.运货马车; v.用马车运送; (cart的第三人称单数和复数)
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)