|
|
AnthonyAtala_2011-_如何“打印”出人类肾脏_
|
There's actually a major health crisis today in terms of the shortage of organs . |
现今社会主要的健康危机, 就是器官短缺。 |
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的; shortage:n.短缺;不足;缺少; organs:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴(organ的复数);
|
The fact is that we're living longer. |
我们越活越长了。 |
Medicine has done a much better job of making us live longer. |
是医药学的进步 帮助我们越活越长。 |
And the problem is, as we age, our organs tend to fail more. |
问题是,我们越老, 我们的器官越爱失灵。 |
And so currently there are not enough organs to go around. |
现今社会, 没有足够的器官来替补。 |
currently:adv.当前;一般地;
|
In fact, in the last 10 years, the number of patients requiring an organ has doubled, while in the same time, the actual number of transplants has barely gone up. |
事实上,过去十年间, 需要器官移植的人加了一倍, 但同时 器官移植手术并没有增多。 |
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数) transplants:v.移植(transplant的第三人称单数);移置;n.移植(transplant的复数); barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
|
So this is now a public health crisis. |
所以说这现在是个全社会的健康危机。 |
So that's where this field comes in that we call the field of regenerative medicine. |
这就是我们这个领域的研究要解决的问题, 我们管它叫再生医学。 |
regenerative:adj.再生的,更生的;更新的;
|
It really involves many different areas. |
再生医学包括很多研究领域, |
involves:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加,加入(involve的第三人称单数)
|
You can use, actually, scaffolds , biomaterials -- they're like the piece of your blouse or your shirt -- but specific materials you can actually implant in patients and they will do well and help you regenerate . |
你可以使用,事实上,模子, 加上生物材料—— 好像是从你的衬衫上取下一片—— 但是它们是为了放入人体而特殊制作的。 这些生物材料很安全,还能帮助你自身的组织再生。 |
scaffolds:n.支架;[建]脚手架;绞刑台(scaffold的复数); biomaterials:n.[材]生物材料(biomaterial的复数); specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药; implant:vt.种植;灌输;嵌入;n.[医]植入物;植入管;vi.被移植; regenerate:vt.使再生;革新;vi.再生;革新;adj.再生的;革新的;
|
Or we can use cells alone, either your very own cells or different stem cell populations. |
或者我们也可以仅仅使用细胞, 或是你自己的细胞, 或是他人的干细胞。 |
stem cell:干细胞;
|
Or we can use both; we can use, actually, biomaterials and the cells together. |
或者同时使用两种技术, 事实上,我们可以移植生物材料 同时一起移植细胞。 |
And that's where the field is today. |
这就是当今再生医学的研究水平。 |
But it's actually not a new field. |
这并不是个新兴科学, |
Interestingly , this is a book that was published back in 1938. |
有趣的是,有本书 在1938年就出版了, |
Interestingly:adv.有趣地;
|
It's titled "The Culture of Organs." |
名字叫“器官培养”。 |
The first author, Alexis Carrel, a Nobel Prize winner. |
书的第一作者,艾利克斯 卡如,是个诺贝尔奖得主。 |
Nobel Prize:n.诺贝尔奖;
|
He actually devised some of the same technologies used today for suturing blood vessels . |
他发明了一些相同技术, 今天我们缝合血管的时候还在沿用。 |
devised:v.设计(devise的过去式和过去分词);计划;发明; technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); suturing:v.缝合;(suture的现在分词) vessels:n.血管(vessel的复数);船舶;容器;
|
And some of the blood vessel grafts we use today were actually designed by Alexis. |
我们今天用的一些血管移植片 其实是艾利克斯设计的。 |
blood vessel:n.血管; grafts:[生物]移植;[农学]嫁接;
|
But I want you to note his co-author : |
请大家注意书的另一个作者: |
co-author:n.合著者;vt.合著;
|
Charles Lindbergh. |
查尔斯 林德伯格。 |
That's the same Charles Lindbergh who actually spent the rest of his life working with Alexis at the Rockefeller Institute in New York in the area of the culture of organs. |
就是这个查尔斯 林德伯格, 投入了毕生精力, 与艾利克斯一起工作 在纽约的洛克菲勒研究院, 研究器官培养。 |
Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院;
|
So if the field's been around for so long, why so few clinical advances? |
所以再生医学其实已经有很长的历史了。 那么,为什么在临床上没有什么突破呢? |
clinical:adj.临床的;诊所的;
|
And that really has to do to many different challenges. |
这是因为(在临床上)有很多不同的难关。 |
But if I were to point to three challenges, the first one is actually the design of materials that could go in your body and do well over time. |
我认为前三位的挑战, 第一就数材料学, 设计什么样的生物材料,能置入人体 不引起任何问题。 |
And many advances now, we can do that fairly readily . |
我们已经有了很多突破, 在这方面我们进步神速。 |
fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直; readily:adv.容易地;乐意地;无困难地;
|
The second challenge was cells. |
第二个大挑战,就是活细胞。 |
We could not get enough of your cells to grow outside of your body. |
我们没法得到在体外培养足够数量的细胞。 |
Over the last 20 years, we've basically tackled that. |
过去的二十年间,我们就卡在这里。 |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; tackled:v,解决,处理,对付;(tackle的过去式和过去分词)
|
Many scientists can now grow many different types of cells -- plus we have stem cells. |
如今很多科学家已经能在体外养活很多种的细胞—— 加上我们还有干细胞。 |
But even now, 2011, there's still certain cells that we just can't grow from the patient. |
但即便是这一刻,2011年, 有些类型的细胞我们就是没有办法在体外养活。 |
Liver cells, nerve cells, pancreatic cells -- we still can't grow them even today. |
比如肝脏细胞,神经细胞,胰腺细胞—— 即使是今天我们还是在体外养不活。 |
Liver:n.肝;(动物供食用的)肝; nerve:n.神经;勇气;神经质;神经紧张;v.鼓足勇气;振作精神; pancreatic:adj.胰的;胰腺的;
|
And the third challenge is vascularity , the actual supply of blood to allow those organs or tissues to survive once we regenerate them. |
第三个挑战是建立血管网, 有了血液的供给 我们再造的器官或者组织 才能存活。 |
vascularity:n.多血管;血管质; tissues:n.纸巾,手巾纸;(人、动植物细胞的)组织;(tissue的复数)
|
So we can actually use biomaterials now. |
这里我们就要用到生物材料。 |
This is actually a biomaterial. |
这就是一种生物材料。 |
We can weave them, knit them, or we can make them like you see here. |
我们或编或织,或者像是做棉花糖一样 |
weave:v.编,织;(用…)编成;编造(故事等);n.织法;编法;编织式样; knit:v.编织;针织;机织;(使)紧密结合;n.针织衫;编织的衣服;
|
This is actually like a cotton candy machine. |
像你们现在看到的,做出生物材料。 |
cotton candy:n.(尤指游乐场出售的)棉花糖;
|
You saw the spray going in. |
你能看到有喷雾, |
spray:n.喷雾; v.喷;
|
That was like the fibers of the cotton candy creating this structure , this tubularized structure , which is a biomaterial that we can then use to help your body regenerate using your very own cells to do so. |
就像是棉花糖的糖线, 做出这个框架,很多的管状结构。 这是我们用的 生物材料, 来帮助你身体器官 用你自己的细胞再生。 |
fibers:n.纤维(fiber的复数); structure:n.结构;构造;建筑物;vt.组织;构成;建造;
|
And that's exactly what we did here. |
这是我们做的一个案例。 |
This is actually a patient who presented with a deceased organ, and we then created one of these smart biomaterials, and then we then used that smart biomaterial to replace and repair that patient's structure. |
这是个真的病人, 他有个报废的器官, 我们做了一个挺光鲜的生物材料 用它来 替换下旧的器官, 修复好这个病人的器官结构。 |
deceased:adj.死去了的;已死的;n.死者; repair:v.修理;修补;修缮;补救;n.修理;修补;修缮;
|
What we did was we actually used the biomaterial as a bridge so that the cells in the organ could walk on that bridge, if you will, and help to bridge the gap to regenerate that tissue. |
具体来说我们 用这个生物材料搭了个桥, 这样这个器官里的细胞 就能够在桥上生长, 补上缺口, 这样组织就再生了。 |
gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开;
|
And you see that patient now six months after with an X-ray showing you the regenerated tissue, which is fully regenerated when you analyze it under the microscope . |
你能看到这个病人的X光片,手术后六个月, 组织的再生, 当你在显微镜下分析时, 能看到这是百分之百的再生。 |
regenerated:adj.再生的;v.再生;革新(regenerate的过去式和过去分词); analyze:v.对…进行分析,分解(等于analyse); microscope:n.显微镜;
|
We can also use cells alone. |
我们也可以单用细胞移植。 |
These are actually cells that we obtained . |
这些是我们得到的真的细胞, |
obtained:v.获得(obtain的过去分词);
|
These are stem cells that we create from specific sources , and we can drive them to become heart cells. |
它们都是我们从各种渠道得到的干细胞。 我们可以使它们长成心脏细胞, |
sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数)
|
And they start beating in culture. |
它们在培养皿中就能开始搏动, |
So they know what to do. |
这说明它们知道该干什么, |
The cells genetically know what to do, and they start beating together. |
它们靠基因中的信息知道该怎么工作。 它们还能同步搏动。 |
genetically:adv.从遗传学角度;从基因方面;
|
Now today, many clinical trials are using different kinds of stem cells for heart disease . |
现今许多的临床试验 都在用各种各样的干细胞 来治疗心脏病。 |
disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
|
So that's actually now in patients. |
它们已经在病人身上起作用了。 |
Or if we're going to use larger structures to replace larger structures, we can then use the patient's own cells, or some cell population, and the biomaterials, the scaffolds, together. |
如果我们想一直更大号的人造组织 来替换大块的身体组织, 我们可以使用病人自己的细胞, 或者细胞群, 加上生物材料, 模子,全要用到。 |
structures:n.结构; v.建造(structure的第三人称单数形式);
|
So the concept here: so if you do have a deceased or injured organ, we take a very small piece of that tissue, less than half the size of a postage stamp . |
基本上, 如果你的某个器官死亡了,或者损坏了, 我们可以在这个器官上取下一小块, 小到半个邮票的大小。 |
injured:adj.受伤的:委屈的: v.伤害,使受伤: n.伤员; postage stamp:na.邮票;
|
We then tease the cells apart, we grow the cells outside the body. |
然后我们把细胞摇下来, 在体外培养。 |
tease:v.取笑; n.戏弄;
|
We then take a scaffold, a biomaterial, again, looks very much like a piece of your blouse or your shirt. |
之后我们将用生物材料做一个模子, 这片材料就像从你的衬衫上取下的一片, |
We then shape that material, and we then use those cells to code that material one layer at a time -- very much like baking a layer cake , if you will. |
我们可以给它塑型, 再把培养的细胞涂上去, 一层层地涂—— 就像是烤层层叠叠的蛋糕一样。 |
baking:n.烘焙,烘烤; adj.烘烤的; v.烤,烘焙; (bake的现在分词) layer cake:na.(美)多层奶油蛋糕;
|
We then place it in an oven-like device , and we're able to create that structure and bring it out. |
当我们把这块“蛋糕”放进“烤箱”, 就能使这个组织重生, 把它取出来用。 |
device:n.装置;策略;图案;
|
This is actually a heart valve that we've engineered. |
这里是我们作出的 真的心脏瓣膜。 |
valve:n.阀;[解剖]瓣膜;真空管;活门;v.装阀于;以活门调节;
|
And you can see here, we have the structure of the heart valve and we've seeded that with cells, and then we exercise it. |
你能看到我们先有了瓣膜的框架, 再把细胞种上去, 然后让它锻炼锻炼。 |
seeded:adj.已播种了的;去籽的;
|
So you see the leaflets opening and closing -- of this heart valve that's currently being used experimentally to try to get it to further studies. |
我们可以看到这个瓣膜上 尖瓣小叶开开合合—— 这现在还在试验阶段, 我们希望能更深入的研究。 |
leaflets:传单; experimentally:adv.实验上;用实验方法;实验式地;
|
Another technology that we have used in patients actually involves bladders . |
另一个我们用在 病人身上的技术是 关于膀胱移植的。 |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; bladders:n.膀胱;皮囊,气囊(如球胆);(bladder的复数)
|
We actually take a very small piece of the bladder from the patient -- less than half the size of a postage stamp. |
我们能从病人的膀胱上取下一小块来—— 比半块邮票还小, |
We then grow the cells outside the body, take the scaffold, coat the scaffold with the cells -- the patient's own cells, two different cell types. |
然后进行体外细胞培养, 在拿个模子,涂上细胞—— 病人自己的两种细胞, |
We then put it in this oven-like device. |
然后把模子放进“烤箱”, |
It has the same conditions as the human body -- 35 degrees centigrade , 95 percent oxygen. |
它有和体内同样的环境—— 三十五摄氏度,百分之九十五氧气, |
centigrade:adj.摄氏的;[仪]摄氏温度的;百分度的;
|
A few weeks later, you have your engineered organ that we're able to implant back into the patient. |
几星期后,就有人造器官了, 我们能把它们移植回到病人身上。 |
For these specific patients, we actually just suture these materials. |
有些特殊的病人,我们只需要把这些材料缝上去就成了。 |
suture:n.缝合;缝合处;缝合用的线;vt.缝合;
|
We use three-dimensional imagining analysis , but we actually created these biomaterials by hand. |
我们可以用三维图像系统描图, 然后用手工制作。 |
three-dimensional:adj.三维的;立体的;真实的; analysis:n.分析;分解;验定;
|
But we now have better ways to create these structures with the cells. |
现在我们有更好的方法 来用细胞作出器官。 |
We use now some type of technologies, where for solid organs, for example, like the liver, what we do is we take discard livers . |
我们现在用几种技术 来做块状的器官,比如 肝脏。 我们的作法是拿个遗弃的肝脏, |
discard:v.丢弃; n.被抛弃的人(或物); (尤指纸牌游戏中)垫出的牌; livers:n.肝脏(liver的复数);
|
As you know, a lot of organs are actually discarded , not used. |
要知道,很多器官都被丢弃不用了。 |
discarded:v.丢弃;抛弃;垫(牌);打出(无用的牌);(discard的过去式和过去分词)
|
So we can take these liver structures, which are not going to be used, and we then put them in a washing machine-like structure that will allow the cells to be washed away. |
我们把别人不要的 肝脏拿来, 把它们放在类似洗衣机的机器里, 把细胞都洗下来。 |
Two weeks later, you have something that looks like a liver. |
两周后 你得到一个像是肝脏的东西 |
You can hold it like a liver, but it has no cells; it's just a skeleton of the liver. |
你可以把它托在手上, 但是这个肝脏没有任何细胞,这只是个肝脏的架子。 |
skeleton:n.骨架,骨骼;纲要;骨瘦如柴的人;adj.骨骼的;骨瘦如柴的;概略的;
|
And we then can re-perfuse the liver with cells, preserving the blood vessel tree. |
我们之后从血管 把细胞灌进这个肝脏里。 |
preserving:n.保留,保存;
|
So we actually perfuse first the blood vessel tree with the patient's own blood vessel cells, and we then infiltrate the parenchyma with the liver cells. |
所以我们其实是先把病人的血管细胞 从血管里灌进去, 然后把用病人的肝脏细胞渗透进去。 |
perfuse:vt.灌注;洒遍;散布; infiltrate:vt.使潜入;使渗入,使浸润;vi.渗入;n.渗透物; parenchyma:n.[组织]实质;软细胞组织;
|
And we now have been able just to show the creation of human liver tissue just this past month using this technology. |
上个月, 我们才用这个技术 得以成功地 造出了人类的肝脏。 |
creation:n.创造,创作;创作物,产物;
|
Another technology that we've used is actually that of printing. |
另一个技术是我们以前用过的, 就是打印器官的技术。 |
This is actually a desktop inkjet printer , but instead of using ink, we're using cells. |
这是办公室用的打印机 只是我们不用墨粉 我们用的是活细胞。 |
desktop:n.桌面;桌面(显示使用程序图标的计算机屏幕); inkjet printer:n.喷墨打印机;
|
And you can actually see here the printhead going through and printing this structure, and it takes about 40 minutes to print this structure. |
你可以看到打印头 左右移动,打印出一块组织, 一般这样的组织要花四十分钟来打印。 |
And there's a 3D elevator that then actually goes down one layer at a time each time the printhead goes through. |
另外(这个组织坐在)一个三维升降机(上), 打印时,每次打印头走到头, 它会(带着这块组织)下降一层。 |
elevator:n.电梯;升降机;升降舵;起卸机;
|
And then finally you're able to get that structure out. |
最后你就能得到整个组织了。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
You can pop that structure out of the printer and implant it. |
你能把组织取下来,然后移植入病人体内。 |
And this is actually a piece of bone that I'm going to show you in this slide that was actually created with a desktop printer and implanted as you see here. |
这张幻灯片显示的 是我们用办公室打印机 打印出的一片真的骨头, 然后移植入人体的。 |
implanted:植入的;
|
That was all new bone that was implanted using these techniques . |
这里的骨头都是 用这个技术移植的。 |
techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数)
|
Another more advanced technology we're looking at right now, our next generation of technologies, are more sophisticated printers. |
另一个我们正在研究的更为先进的技术, 新一代的技术, 要使用更为复杂的打印机。 |
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的;
|
This particular printer we're designing now is actually one where we print right on the patient. |
这个我们正在设计中的特殊的打印机 能够在病人身上实时打印。 |
So what you see here -- |
你看吧—— |
I know it sounds funny, but that's the way it works. |
我知道听起来挺傻的, 但它就是这样运作的。 |
Because in reality, what you want to do is you actually want to have the patient on the bed with the wound , and you have a scanner, basically like a flatbed scanner . |
因为现实中你希望做的, 是希望在病人受伤躺上病床上时, 能有一个扫描机 就像是个正常的平面扫描机 |
wound:n.创伤,伤口;v.使受伤;受伤,伤害; flatbed scanner:n.平板扫描仪;
|
That's what you see here on the right side; you see a scanner technology that first scans the wound on the patient and then it comes back with the printheads actually printing the layers that you require on the patients themselves. |
你能看到在这里右边; 扫描机能先 扫描病人的伤口, 在把信息传到打印头上, 打印头就在伤口上 实时打印。 |
layers:n.层;表层;层次;阶层;v.把…分层堆放;(layer的第三人称单数和复数)
|
This is how it actually works. |
这里展示了这个系统是怎么工作的。 |
Here's the scanner going through scanning the wound. |
这里是扫描机 来回扫描伤口。 |
Once it's scanned, it sends information in the correct layers of cells where they need to be. |
扫描完了, 它就会把哪里需要 新的细胞层的信息送出去。 |
And now you're going to see here a demo of this actually being done in a representative wound. |
现在你将要看到的 是一个录像,显示了 这个打印机是如何在一个伤口上打印的。 |
demo:v.试用(尤指软件);演示;示范;n.试样唱片;录音样带; representative:n.代表; adj.典型的;
|
And we actually do this with a gel , so that you can lift the gel material. |
我们其实在打印机里加了胶质,这样你就能把打印的组织提起来, |
gel:vi.胶化;n.[物化]凝胶,胶体;
|
So once those cells are on the patient they will stick where they need to be. |
当你把组织移植到病人身体里去时, 它们也能成功地粘在正确的地方。 |
And this is actually new technology still under development. |
这确实是个新技术, 我们还在研发中。 |
We're also working on more sophisticated printers. |
我们还在研制更为复杂的打印机, |
Because in reality, our biggest challenge are the solid organs. |
因为事实上我们最大的挑战 是块状组织。 |
I don't know if you realize this, but 90 percent of the patients on the transplant list are actually waiting for a kidney . |
我不知道你注意到了没有, 百分之九十的等待器官移植的病人 都是在等肾脏。 |
kidney:n.[解剖]肾脏;腰子;个性;
|
Patients are dying every day because we don't have enough of those organs to go around. |
病人天天去世, 都是因为我们没有足够的器官。 |
So this is more challenging -- large organ, vascular, a lot of blood vessel supply, a lot of cells present. |
所以这正是更大的挑战—— 大型器官,布满血管的, 需要很多的血液供应, 需要很多细胞。 |
So the strategy here is -- this is actually a CT scan , an X-ray -- and we go layer by layer, using computerized morphometric imaging analysis and 3D reconstruction to get right down to those patient's own kidneys . |
所以这里的策略是—— 这是个真正的CT扫描,一个X光片—— 我们可以层层解析, 使用电脑化的图像和形态分析 以及三维重组的技术, 来观察这些病人自己的肾脏。 |
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略; CT scan:n."CATscan"的单数; computerized:adj.电脑的; v.用电子计算机控制(computerize的过去分词); imaging:n.[物]成像;造像;v.反映;想像;作…的像;象征;(image的现在分词形式) reconstruction:n.再建,重建;改造;复兴; kidneys:n.[解剖]肾脏;转炉的附着物;肾形矿脉(kidney的复数);
|
We then are able to actually image those, do 360 degree rotation to analyze the kidney in its full volumetric characteristics , and we then are able to actually take this information and then scan this in a printing computerized form. |
我们能够观察这些肾脏, 三百六十度旋转, 这样就能全方位地 研究整个肾脏。 之后我们就能 应用这些信息, 扫描 变成打印出的层层电子图。 |
rotation:n.旋转;循环,轮流; volumetric:adj.[物]体积的;[物]容积的;[物]测定体积的; characteristics:n.特征;特点;品质;(characteristic的复数)
|
So we go layer by layer through the organ, analyzing each layer as we go through the organ. |
这样我们就能层层深入 解析这个器官的每一层, |
analyzing:adj.分析的;v.分析(analyze的现在分词);
|
And we then are able to send that information, as you see here, through the computer and actually design the organ for the patient. |
之后我们就能把信息送出去,像你这里看到的, 送到计算机里去 然后为病人 设计出新的器官 |
This actually shows the actual printer. |
这里是一家真的打印机。 |
And this actually shows that printing. |
它也在真的打印。 |
In fact, we actually have the printer right here. |
事实上,我们在现场就有一个。 |
So while we've been talking today, you can actually see the printer back here in the back stage. |
在我们今天演讲的过程中, 你们能看到这架打印机 就在后台。 |
That's actually the actual printer right now, and that's been printing this kidney structure that you see here. |
这就是我们用的打印机, 它一直在打印这个肾脏, 你们能看到。 |
It takes about seven hours to print a kidney, so this is about three hours into it now. |
一般打印一个肾脏要七个小时, 这个已经打印了三个小时了。 |
And Dr. Kang 's going to walk onstage right now, and we're actually going to show you one of these kidneys that we printed a little bit earlier today. |
康医生将到前台来, 我们将给你看一个我们 今天早些时候打印的肾脏。 |
Kang:n.(汉)炕; onstage:adj.台上的;台上演出的;adv.上台;上场;
|
Put on a pair of gloves here. |
让我戴上手套。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢你。 |
Go backwards. |
到后面来一点 |
So, these gloves are a little bit small on me, but here it is. |
这些手套有点小,好了 |
You can actually see that kidney as it was printed earlier today. |
你现在能看到这个肾脏 我们今天早些时候打印的。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Has a little bit of consistency to it. |
还有一点粘。 |
consistency:n.[计]一致性;稠度;相容性;
|
This is Dr. Kang who's been working with us on this project, and part of our team. |
这是康医生,他和我们一起为这个项目工作 是我们队伍的一份子。 |
Thank you, Dr. Kang. I appreciate it. |
谢谢你康医生,我很感谢。 |
appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
So this is actually a new generation. |
这就是新一代的打印机, |
This is actually the printer that you see here onstage. |
这个我们在台上看到的。 |
And this is actually a new technology we're working on now. |
这是我们正在研究的新技术。 |
In reality, we now have a long history of doing this. |
其实我们已经做这个技术很长时间了, |
I'm going to share with you a clip in terms of technology we have had in patients now for a while . |
我想和你们分享一个小片段, 关于我们用在病人身上已有一段时间的技术。 |
clip:v.剪辑;修剪;削减;固定;n.夹;夹子;速度;钳; for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
|
And this is actually a very brief clip -- only about 30 seconds -- of a patient who actually received an organ. |
这是个很短的片段—— 只有三十秒—— 是一个作了器官移植的病人, |
(Video) Luke Massella: I was really sick. I could barely get out of bed. |
(录像)路克 马萨拉:“我曾经病得很重,都不能下床。 |
I was missing school. It was pretty much miserable . |
我没法上学,生活很惨淡。 |
miserable:adj.悲惨的;痛苦的;卑鄙的;
|
I couldn't go out and play basketball at recess without feeling like I was going to pass out when I got back inside. |
我不能出门, 课间不能打篮球, 因为每每一回教室 我就感觉要昏倒。 |
recess:n.休会;休庭;壁橱;隐蔽处;v.休会;暂停;把…放进壁橱;将…嵌入墙壁;
|
I felt so sick. |
我觉得特别痛苦。 |
I was facing basically a lifetime of dialysis , and I don't even like to think about what my life would be like if I was on that. |
我面临的是基本上终生的透析, 简直不能想象 生活会是什么样子。 |
dialysis:n.[医][分化]透析;[分化]渗析;
|
So after the surgery , life got a lot better for me. |
手术之后, 生活对我变得容易多了。 |
surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室;
|
I was able to do more things. |
我能做的事情多了很多。 |
I was able to wrestle in high school. |
我能在学校里玩摔跤, |
wrestle:n.摔跤;搏斗;斗争;v.摔跤;斗争;斟酌;
|
I became the captain of the team, and that was great. |
我成了摔跤队长,感觉真棒。 |
I was able to be a normal kid with my friends. |
我能够像个正常人一样有朋友, |
And because they used my own cells to build this bladder, it's going to be with me. |
全是因为医生用了我自身的细胞,给我做了个膀胱。 我的新膀胱将伴随着我。 |
I've got it for life, so I'm all set. |
伴我一生。我别无它求了。” |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Juan Enriquez: These experiments sometimes work, and it's very cool when they do. |
胡安 安瑞奎兹:这些试验有时还真灵, 灵的时候是很酷的。 |
Luke, come up please. |
路克,请上台来。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
So Luke, before last night, when's the last time you saw Tony? |
路克,直到昨晚 上次你见到安东尼医生是什么时候? |
LM: 10 years ago, when I had my surgery -- and it's really great to see him. |
路克:十年前,我做手术的时候—— 能见到他真好。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
JE: And tell us a little bit about what you're doing. |
胡克:和大家讲讲你现在在做什么。 |
LM: Well right now I'm in college at the University of Connecticut. |
路克:我现在在上大学,在康涅狄格州立大学。 |
I'm a sophomore and studying communications, TV and mass media . |
我上二年级,学传媒信息,电视和媒体专业。 |
sophomore:n.(大学)二年级学生:(高中)二年级学生: mass media:n.大众传媒;
|
And basically trying to live life like a normal kid, which I always wanted growing up. |
我试着过正常人的生活, 这是我梦想的长大后的样子。 |
But it was hard to do that when I was born with spina bifida and my kidneys and bladder weren't working. |
当时很难做到,因为我生来就有脊柱裂, 我的肾脏和膀胱都不能正常工作。 |
spina bifida:n.脊柱裂(先天性椎管闭合不全);
|
I went through about 16 surgeries , and it seemed impossible to do that when I was in kidney failure when I was 10. |
我做过十六个外科手术, 最后十岁的时候肾脏还是衰竭了, 快要死了。 |
surgeries:n.外科手术(surgery复数);
|
And this surgery came along and basically made me who I am today and saved my life. |
这个移植手术降临了, 让我成为了今天的我, 救了我。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
JE: And Tony's done hundreds of these? |
胡克:安东尼一定做了上百个这样的手术了吧? |
LM: What I know from, he's working really hard in his lab and coming up with crazy stuff . |
路克:据我所知,他在实验室里辛勤工作, 创造了很多新奇古怪的方案。 |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
I know I was one of the first 10 people to have this surgery. |
我知道我是前十个接受这项手术的病人, |
And when I was 10, I didn't realize how amazing it was. |
那时候我才十岁,我不知道这有多酷。 |
I was a little kid, and I was like, "Yeah. I'll have that. I'll have that surgery." |
我只是个孩子。我当时只是: “好吧,又一个手术,我做就是了。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
All I wanted to do was to get better, and I didn't realize how amazing it was until now that I'm older and I see the amazing things that he's doing. |
我当时想做的仅仅是活的健康一点, 没有意识到手术的伟大之处,直到我长大了。 现在我明白他做的研究有多么伟大。 |
JE: When you got this call out of the blue -- |
胡克:当你突然间接到我们的电话—— |
out of the blue:突然地;意外地;
|
Tony's really shy, and it took a lot of convincing to get somebody as modest as Tony to allow us to bring Luke. |
安东尼是很害羞的一个人, 我们很是费了一番唇舌 才得到他这么低调的人的同意, 把路克带到现场来。 |
convincing:adj.令人信服的; v.使确信; (convince的现在分词) modest:adj.些许的;谦虚的;
|
So Luke, you go to your communications professors -- you're majoring in communications -- and you ask them for permission to come to TED, which might have a little bit to do with communications, and what was their reaction ? |
路克,当你去你的传媒学教授说—— 传媒学是你的专业—— 当你征得他们的同意来上TED时, 这多少和传媒学有点关系, 他们有什么反应? |
reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用;
|
LM: Most of my professors were all for it, and they said, "Bring pictures and show me the clips online," and "I'm happy for you." |
路克:我的大部分教授都赞同, 他们说:“照照片回来, 给我网上的录像看。”或者是:“真替你高兴。” |
clips:n.夹子; v.夹住;
|
There were a couple that were a little stubborn , but I had to talk to them. |
有几个有点保留, 但是我说服了他们, |
stubborn:adj.顽固的;顽强的;难处理的;
|
I pulled them aside. |
我都搞定了。 |
JE: Well, it's an honor and a privilege to meet you. |
胡克:今天见面真是我的荣幸 |
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免;
|
Thank you so much. (LM: Thank you so much.) |
谢谢你。(路克:谢谢你们。) |
JE: Thank you, Tony. |
胡克:谢谢你,安东尼医生。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |