返回首页

AnnaRoslingRonnlund_2017-_收入如何影响人们的生活方式_

What images do we see from the rest of the world? 我们能从世界的其他地方 看见什么画面?
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
We see natural disasters , war, terror. 我们能看见天灾, 战争、恐怖活动。
disasters:n.灾难(disaster的复数);
We see refugees , and we see horrible diseases . 我们能看见难民, 以及恐怖的疾病。
refugees:n.避难者;逃亡者;难民;(refugee的复数) horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的, diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类;
Right? 对吗?
We see beautiful beaches, cute animals, beautiful nature, cultural rites and stuff . 我们看见美丽的沙滩、 可爱的动物、 动人的大自然、 各种文化仪式等。
cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; rites:n.仪式(rite的复数); stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
And then we're supposed to make the connection in our head and create a worldview out of this. 接下来我们应该在脑海里 把这些串连起来, 然后试着凭此创造一个世界观。
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) worldview:n.世界观;
And how is that possible? 这怎么可能呢?
I mean, the world seems so strange. 我是指世界看似太奇怪了。
And I don't think it is. 但同时,我并不完全赞同这一点。
I don't think the world is that strange, actually. 其实,我觉得世界并非 那么奇怪。
I've got an idea. 我有一个想法。
So, imagine the world as a street, where the poorest live on one end and the richest on the other, and everyone in the world lives on this street. 想象这个世界是一条街, 街的一端住着最穷的人, 另一端住着最富有的人, 而世界的其他人则住在 街道的中间。
You live there, I live there, and the neighbors we have are the ones with the same income. 你住那儿,我也住那儿。 我们的邻居是那些跟我们 有着相同收入的人。
People that live in the same block as me, they are from other countries, other cultures, other religions. 跟我住同一栋楼的, 是来自其它国家、文化、宗教的人。
The street might look something like this. 这条街也许有着这样的布局。
And I was curious . 我觉得很好奇。
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
In Sweden where I live, 在我所住的瑞典,
I've been meeting quite a lot of students. 我与许多学生打过交道。
And I wanted to know, where would they think they belong on a street like this? 我想要知道, 他们觉得他们会在这条街上的 哪一个地方呢?
So we changed these houses into people. 于是我们把房子替换成了人。
This is the seven billion people that live in the world. 这是住在地球上的70亿人口。
And just by living in Sweden, most likely you belong there, which is the richest group. 如果你住在瑞典的话, 你很可能会在这儿, 也就是最富有的一群。
But the students, when you ask them, they think they are in the middle. 但是那些学生,当你问他们时, 他们觉得他们在中间。
And how can you understand the world when you see all these scary images from the world, and you think you live in the middle, while you're actually atop ? 你要怎么去了解这个世界, 尤其是当你看见这些 来自世界各地恐怖的画面, 你还觉得你是住在中间而 不应该是在最上端的这一块吗?
atop:prep.在…的顶上;adv.在顶上;
Not very easy. 不太容易判断。
So I sent out photographers to 264 homes in 50 countries -- so far, still counting -- and in each home, the photographers take the same set of photos. 所以我派了摄影师 到50个国家的264个家庭—— 这个数字还在增加—— 在每个家庭里,摄影师会 拍摄同样一套照片。
They take the bed, the stove , the toys and about 135 other things. 他们拍下床铺、 炉灶、 玩具, 还有135件其它物件。
stove:n.火炉;窑;烘房;[园]温室;v.用火炉烤[烘干];把…放入温室内培育;
So we have 40,000 images or something at the moment, and it looks something like this. 目前为止,我们有4万多张相片, 这就是它们的样子。
Here we see, it says on the top, "Families in the world by income," 这上面写着, “世界家庭按收入分类,”
and we have the street represented just beneath it, you can see. 就如你所看到的, 下面标有他们代表的街道。
represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词) beneath:prep.在…之下;adv.在下方;
And then we see some of the families we have visited. 然后我们看见一些 我们探访过的家庭。
We have the poorer to the left, the richer to the right, and everybody else in between, as the concept says. 我们把比较穷的家庭排在左边, 比较富有的排在右边, 其他人则在中间, 如同刚才的概念所说的。
We can go down and see the different families we have been to so far. 我们可以一直往下看到目前为止 所拍摄的所有不同的家庭。
Here, for instance , we have a family in Zimbabwe , one in India, one in Russia, and one in Mexico, for instance. 这里,举个例子, 有津巴布韦的家庭, 印度的,俄罗斯的, 还有墨西哥的,等等。
instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例; Zimbabwe:n.津巴布韦(国家名,位于非洲);
So we can go around and look at the families this way. 所以我们可以用这样的方式 看看这些家庭。
But of course, we can choose if we want to see some certain countries and compare them, or regions , or if we want, to see other things. 当然,我们也可以选择看 一些特定国家的照片, 然后做比较, 或按区域搜索, 如果要看其它东西。
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; regions:n.地区;地域;行政区;左近;(region的复数)
So let's go to the front doors and see what they look like. 好,让我们选择前门, 看看它们长什么样子。
Go here, and this is the world by front doors, ordered by income. 这就是这个世界的前门, 按收入排列的搜索结果。
And we can see the big difference from India, Philippines , China, Ukraine , in these examples, for instance. 我们也可看见其间有很大差别, 比如印度的、菲律宾的、 中国的、乌克兰的等等。
Philippines:n.菲律宾; Ukraine:n.乌克兰(原苏联一加盟共和国,现已独立);
What if we go into the home? 如果我们进入他们的家呢?
What if:如果…怎么办?
We can look at beds. 我们可以选择看看床铺。
This is what beds can look like. 这就是那些床铺的样貌。
Doesn't look like the glossy magazines. 不像豪华杂志中那样。
glossy:adj.光滑的;有光泽的;
Doesn't look like the scary images in the media . 也不像媒体那些恐怖的照片那样。
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
So remember that the students in Sweden, they thought they were in the middle of the world income. 还记得那些瑞典的学生吗? 他们觉得他们位于 世界收入的中间。
So let's go there. 那么让我们再来看看。
We zoom in here by filtering the street to the middle, like this, and then I ask the students: 我们选择街道轴线, 然后拉到中间, 选择中间的一小段, 然后我问那些学生:
filtering:v.[化工]过滤,滤除(filter的ing形式);
Is this what your bedroom looks like? 你的卧室是这样的吗?
And they would actually not feel very at home. 他们觉得这些并不像他们的家。
So we go down and see, do they feel more at home here? 于是我们往下拉,再看看 他们是否觉得跟他们家相似。
And they would say, no, this is not what a Swedish typical bedroom looks like. 他们说, 不,这不是瑞典典型的卧室。
Swedish:adj.瑞典的;瑞典语的;瑞典人的;n.瑞典语;瑞典人; typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的;
We go up here, and suddenly, they feel sort of at home. 接着我们往上拉, 突然间,他们觉得 跟自己的家一样了。
And we can see here in this image, we see bedrooms in China, Netherlands, 我们可以在这些照片中看到, 这些卧室有来自中国的、荷兰的、
South Korea, France and the United States, for instance. 韩国的、法国的和美国的等等。
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
So we can click here. 我们可以点击这些图片。
If we want to know more about the family, the home in which this bed stands, we can just click it and go to the family, and we can see all the images from that family. 如果我们想要知道更多有关 这个家庭、这张床所在的家, 我们只需点进去, 就可以了解那个家庭, 也可以看见来自 那个家庭的所有照片。
We can go this way, too. 任意浏览。
And of course, this is free for anyone to use. 当然,这些都是免费的。
So just go here, and please add more images, of course. 欢迎大家登陆这个网站, 当然您也可以上传照片。
My personal favorite that everyone always tries to make me not show, 我个人最喜欢的是 每个人总是不想我展示的,
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
I'm going to show you now, and that's toilets, because you're not really allowed to look at people's toilets, but now we can just do it, right? 而我现在就给你们看, 那就是厕所, 因为其实其他人都不准 你看他们的厕所, 但我们现在可以这么做,不是吗?
So here (Laughter) we have a lot of toilets. 那么这里(笑声) 我们有很多厕所的照片。
They look pretty much as we're used to, right? 它们看起来都跟我们 常用的类似,对吗?
And they are in China, Netherlands, United States, Nepal and so forth, 这些照片来自中国、荷兰、 美国、尼泊尔等国家,
Ukraine, France. 还有乌克兰、法国。
And they look pretty similar, right? 它们看起来大同小异。
But remember, we are in the top. 但要记得,我们在街道最右侧。
So what about checking all the toilets? 如果我们看看所有的厕所呢?
Now it looks a bit different, doesn't it? 现在看起来有点不同了是吧?
So this way we can visually browse through categories of imagery , using photos as data. 这样我们就可以通过视觉 浏览不同类别的画面, 以照片为数据。
visually:adv.形象化地;外表上;看得见地; browse:v.浏览;吃草;n.浏览;吃草; categories:n.(人或事物的)类别,种类(category的复数) imagery:n.像;意象;比喻;形象化;
But not everything works as a photo. 但不是每一件事都能用 照片来呈现。
Sometimes it's easier to understand what people do, so we also do video snippets of everyday activities, such as washing hands, doing laundry , brushing teeth, and so on. 有时我们可以通过他们的 所作所为来了解他们, 所以我们也以短片的形式录下 他们的日常活动, 如洗手、洗衣服、 刷牙等等。
snippets:n.片段(snippet的复数形式);小片; laundry:n.洗衣店,洗衣房;要洗的衣服;洗熨;洗好的衣服;
And I'm going to show you a short snippet of tooth-brushing, and we’re going to start at the top. 我将为你们显示刷牙的短片, 我们将从街道最右端开始。
So we see people brushing their teeth. 我们可以看见他们在刷牙。
Pretty interesting to see the same type of plastic toothbrush is being used in all these places in the same way, right? 有趣的是,我们看到 这些地方用的都是 同样的塑料牙刷、 同样的方法,对吗?
toothbrush:n.牙刷;
Some are more serious than others -- 有些刷得比其他人更认真——
(Laughter) (笑声)
but still, the toothbrush is there. 但是他们都用着牙刷。
And then, coming down to this poorer end, then we will see people start using sticks, and they will sometimes use their finger to brush their teeth. 然后,我们来到左端 比较贫穷的地区, 我们将看见他们开始 用树枝, 而有些则用手指来刷牙。
So this particular woman in Malawi , when she brushes her teeth, she scrapes some mud off from her wall and she mixes it with water, and then she's brushing. 这个来自马拉维的女人, 当她刷牙时, 会从墙上刮下一些泥土, 然后加点水,就这样刷牙。
Malawi:n.马拉维(非洲国家); scrapes:n.刮伤处(scrape的复数);v.刮掉;擦掉(动词的第三人称单数形式); mixes:n.混淆;调拌料(mix的复数);v.混合(mix的第三人称单数);
Therefore, in the Dollar Street material, we have tagged this image not only as her wall, which it is, but also as her toothpaste , because that is also what she uses it for. 于是,在《金钱街道》 这个网站的素材中, 我们不但把这个画面的标签 设置为她的墙壁, 也设置为她的牙膏, 因为她就是把它当牙膏用。
tagged:adj.标记的;示踪的;加标记的;v.附以签条(tag的过去分词); toothpaste:n.牙膏;
So we can say, in the poorer end of the street, you will use a stick or your finger, you come to the middle, you will start using a toothbrush, and then you come up to the top, and you will start using one each. 所以我们可以说,这条街 比较穷的这一端, 你会用树枝或手指刷牙, 你来到中间这儿的时候, 你就开始使用牙刷, 然后在最富有的这端, 每个人就会开始有自己的一支。
come up to:v.达到;等于;
Pretty nice, not sharing a toothbrush with your grandma. 不需要跟你的奶奶共用 牙刷实在是太美妙了。
And you can also look at some countries. 你也可以看看一些国家。
Here, we have the income distribution within the US, most people in the middle. 这是美国的收入分布曲线, 大多数人都在中间。
distribution:n.分布;分配;分发;分销;
We have a family we visited in the richer end, the Howards. 我们探访了一些比较 富有的家庭,如霍华德一家。
We can see their home here. 这里我们可以看到他们的房子。
And we also visited a family in the poorer end, down here. 我们也探访了比较贫穷的 这一端的家庭,在这里。
And then what we can do now is we can do instant comparisons of things in their homes. 然后我们现在可以做的 是拿他们各自家里的物件 做即时比较。
instant:n.瞬间; adj.立即的; conj.同"assoonas"; comparisons:n.比较;类似(comparison的复数形式);处于对比状态;
Let's look in their cutlery drawer . 我们看看他们的餐具抽屉。
cutlery:n.餐具;刀剑制造业; drawer:n.抽屉;内裤;出票人;起草者;酒馆侍者;
So, observe the Hadleys: they have all their cutlery in a green plastic box. 注意哈德雷家的: 他们所有的餐具都放在 一个绿色的塑料盒子内,
observe:v.观察;看到;庆祝;监视;
and they have a few different types and some of them are plastic, while the Howards, they have this wooden drawer with small wooden compartments in it and a section for each type of cutlery. 餐具的类型千差万别, 有些还是塑料的, 而霍华德的家中, 他们则设置了这个木质抽屉, 还专门分了区, 每个格子只存放同一类别的餐具。
wooden:adj.木制的;木头的;木头似的;死板的 compartments:n.隔间;分隔间,隔层;(compartment的复数)
We can add more families, and we can see kitchen sinks, or maybe living rooms. 我们也可加入更多家庭, 比较他们的厨房水槽, 或者是客厅。
Of course, we can do the same in other countries. 当然,我们也可以去其它 国家做相同的事。
So we go to China, we pick three families. 我们去中国,选三个家庭,
we look at their houses, we can look at their sofas, we can look at their stoves. 看看他们的房子, 可以看到他们的沙发, 他们的炉灶。
And when you see these stoves, 当你看这些炉灶时,
I think it's obvious that it's a stupid thing that usually, when we think about other countries, we think they have a certain way of doing things. 我认为,很明显, 有一种愚昧的想法, 就是通常当我们想起 其它国家时, 我们会觉得那个国家的人 都以特定的方式做事。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
But look at these stoves. 但看看这些炉灶。
Very different, right, because it depends on what income level you have, how you're going to cook your food. 很不一样是吧, 那是因为炉灶会因 收入阶级而改变, 相应改变的还有 烹调食物的方法。
But the cool thing is when we start comparing across countries. 但是当我们开始比较不同的国家时, 会发生更有趣的事情。
comparing:v.比较;对比;(compare的现在分词)
So here we have China and the US. 比如中国和美国。
See the big overlap between these two. 这两个国家有一大部分是重叠的。
overlap:n.重叠;重复;v.部分重叠;与…同时发生;
So we picked the two homes we have already seen in these countries, the Wus and the Howards. 我们选了这两个国家中已经 探访过的两个家庭, 吴家和霍华德家庭。
Standing in their bedroom, pretty hard to tell which one is China and which one is the US, right? 站在他们的卧室内, 很难分别哪间是中国的, 哪间是美国的,对不对?
Both have brown leather sofas, and they have similar play structures . 他们都有褐色的皮质沙发, 他们有相似的游乐场。
leather:n.皮革;皮革制品;v.用皮革包盖;抽打;adj.皮的;皮革制的; structures:n.结构; v.建造(structure的第三人称单数形式);
Most likely both are made in China, so, I mean, that's not very strange -- 很有可能两套都是中国制造, 我想说的是——
(Laughter) (笑声)
but that is similar. 它们看起来相似就不足为奇了。
We can of course go down to the other end of the street, adding Nigeria. 我们当然也可下到 这条街的另一端, 加入尼日利亚。
So let's compare two homes in China and Nigeria. 现在我们来比较一下分别来自 中国和尼日利亚的两个家庭。
Looking at the family photos, they do not look like they have a lot in common, do they? 看看他们的全家福, 他们看起来没有很多共同点,对吗?
But start seeing their ceiling. 但我们先看看他们的楼顶。
They have a plastic shield and grass. 都有塑料的挡板和干草。
shield:n.盾;防护物;保护者;v.遮蔽;包庇;避开;保卫;
They have the same kind of sofa, they store their grain in similar ways, they're going to have fish for dinner, and they're boiling their water in identical ways. 他们有同样的沙发, 以类似的方式存放干粮, 晚餐都吃鱼, 还用一模一样的方式烧水。
grain:n.粮食; v.把…作成细粒; identical:adj.同一的;完全相同的;n.完全相同的事物;
So if we would visit any of these homes, there's a huge risk that we would say we know anything about the specific way you do things in China or Nigeria, while, looking at this, it's quite obvious -- this is how you do things on this income level. 所以如果我们有机会探访 这样的任何一个家庭, 我们很有可能会说,我们知道 中国人或尼日利亚人都以 特定的方法做事, 而其实,很明显的, 我们看到—— 这是你身处这个 收入阶级的生活方式。
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药;
That is what you can see when you go through the imagery in Dollar Street. 这就是你浏览《金钱街道》时 所能看到的画面。
So going back to the figures, the seven billion people of the world, now we're going to do a quick recap . 好,回到这些数字, 全世界70亿人口, 现在我们简单地重述要点。
recap:n.翻新的轮胎;vt.翻新胎面;扼要重述;
We're going to look at comparisons of things in the poorest group: beds, roofs, cooking. 我们将会比较最穷那群人 所拥有的东西: 床铺、 屋顶、 烹饪方式。
And observe, in all these comparisons, their homes are chosen so they are in completely different places of the world. 仔细观察,这些对比中, 我们特意选择这些房子, 因为它们坐落于世界 完全不同的地区。
But what we see is pretty identical. 但我们看见的都大同小异。
So the poorest billion cooking would look somewhat the same in these two places; you might not have shoes; eating, if you don't have a spoon; storing salt would be similar whether you're in Asia or in Africa; 所以最穷那十几亿人的烹饪方式 会跟这两个地区的差不多; 你可能没有鞋子穿; 用手进食,如果你没有汤匙; 储存食盐的方式也很相似, 无论你在亚洲还是非洲;
somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微;
and going to the toilet would be pretty much the same experience whether you're in Nigeria or Nepal. 另外,你上厕所的体验 也会十分相似, 不管你是在尼日利亚 还是尼泊尔。
In the middle, we have a huge group of five billion, but here we can see you will have electric light, most likely; you will no longer sleep on the floor; you will store your salt in a container; you will have more than one spoon; you will have more than one pen; the ceiling is no longer leaking that much; you will have shoes; you might have a phone, toys, and produce waste. 位于中间的是很大的 人口规模,有五十亿, 但这里我们可以看见你 很有可能会有电灯; 你不再睡在地上; 你会把盐存放在容器里; 你会有好几把汤匙; 会有几只笔; 天花板不再漏那么多水; 你会有鞋子穿; 可能还会有手机、 玩具、 以及生产垃圾。
electric:n.供电;adj.电的;用电的;电动的;发电的; leaking:v.渗漏;泄露(秘密信息);走漏;(leak的现在分词)
Coming to our group up here, similar shoes, Jordan, US. 来到街道最右端, 相似的鞋子,约旦的和美国的。
We have sofas, fruits, hairbrushes , bookshelves , toilet paper in Tanzania, Palestine, hard to distinguish if we would sit in US, Palestine or Tanzania from this one. 相似的沙发、水果、梳子、 书架、 厕纸,在坦桑尼亚和巴勒斯坦, 很难通过这个加以分辨 我们是坐在美国,巴勒斯坦还是 坦桑尼亚的厕所。
hairbrushes:n.发刷;毛刷; bookshelves:n.书架(bookshelf的复数); toilet paper:卫生纸,厕纸; distinguish:vt.区分;辨别;使杰出,使表现突出;vi.区别,区分;辨别;
Vietnam, Kenya: wardrobes , lamps , black dogs, floors, soap, laundry, clocks, computers, phones, and so on, right? 越南,肯尼亚: 衣橱、灯、黑狗、 地板、肥皂、 洗衣机、时钟、电脑、 手机等等,看到了吧?
wardrobes:n.衣柜(wardrobe的复数); lamps:n.灯具(lamp的复数); v.看;
So we have a lot of similarities all over the world, and the images we see in the media, they show us the world is a very, very strange place. 在世界各地我们 都能找到相似之处, 我们在媒体所看到的画面 向我们显现的世界 是个非常非常奇怪的地方。
similarities:n.相仿性;类似性;相像处;(similarity的复数)
But when we look at the Dollar Street images, they do not look like that. 而当我们看看《金钱街道》上的图片时, 世界就呈现出了真实的样子。
So using Dollar Street, we can use photos as data, and country stereotypes -- they simply fall apart . 所以通过《金钱街道》, 我们可以用图片为数据, 而有关某个国家的偏见—— 将站不住脚。
stereotypes:n.模式化观念(或形象); v.对…形成模式化(或类型化)的看法; (stereotype的第三人称单数和复数) fall apart:崩溃;土崩瓦解;破碎;
So the person staring back at us from the other side of the world actually looks quite a lot like you. 那些从世界另一端 凝视我们的人 其实和我们很相似。
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词)
And that implies both a call to action and a reason for hope. 这表示双方都可以追求梦想, 都可以拥有希望。
implies:v.意味着(imply的第三人称单数);蕴含;暗指;
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)