|
|
AnnMarieThomas_2011-_用柔软的电_来亲身实践科学_
|
I'm a huge believer in hands-on education. |
我是亲自实践教育的忠实拥护者。 |
believer:n.信徒;相信的人; hands-on:adj.亲身实践的,亲自动手的;
|
But you have to have the right tools. |
但必须有合适的工具。 |
If I'm going to teach my daughter about electronics , |
如果我准备教我女儿电子学, |
electronics:n.电子学;电子工业;
|
I'm not going to give her a soldering iron . |
我不会给她一个烙铁。 |
soldering iron:n.烙铁;
|
And similarly , she finds prototyping boards really frustrating for her little hands. |
同样地,她发现模型 确实让她的小手觉得挫折。 |
similarly:adv.同样地;类似于; prototyping:n.[计]样机研究;原型设计; frustrating:adj.令人沮丧的;v.使沮丧;(frustrate的现在分词)
|
So my wonderful student Sam and I decided to look at the most tangible thing we could think of: |
因此我的好学生山姆和我 决定看看我们能想到的最切实的东西, |
at the most:至多,不超过; tangible:adj.有形的;切实的;可触摸的;n.有形资产;
|
Play-Doh . |
橡皮泥。 |
Play-Doh:n.培乐多;
|
And so we spent a summer looking at different Play-Doh recipes . |
我们花了一个夏天来 考察各种不同的橡皮泥制作配方。 |
recipes:n.烹饪法;食谱;方法;秘诀;诀窍;(recipe的复数)
|
And these recipes probably look really familiar to any of you who have made homemade play-dough -- pretty standard ingredients you probably have in your kitchen. |
这些配方看起来非常相似 在座各位都可以在家中制作橡皮泥 -- 就用各位的厨房里大概都有的相当普通的佐料。 |
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友; standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的; ingredients:n.成分;(尤指烹饪)原料;(成功的)要素;(ingredient的复数)
|
We have two favorite recipes -- one that has these ingredients and a second that had sugar instead of salt. |
我们有两个最喜欢的配方 -- 一个包含这些成分 第二个的配方中用的是糖而不是盐。 |
And they're great. We can make great little sculptures with these. |
它们非常棒。我们能用这些做出很棒的小雕塑。 |
sculptures:n.[建]雕塑(sculpture的复数); v.雕刻;
|
But the really cool thing about them is when we put them together. |
当我们把它们放在一起,真正酷的事发生了。 |
You see that really salty Play-Doh? |
这是咸的橡皮泥, |
Well, it conducts electricity . |
它能导电。 |
conducts:vi.导电;带领;vt.管理;引导;表现;n.进行;行为;实施; electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪;
|
And this is nothing new. |
这不是什么新鲜事儿。 |
It turns out that regular Play-Doh that you buy at the store conducts electricity, and high school physics teachers have used that for years. |
其实在商店里购买的正规的橡皮泥都能导电, 高中物理老师已经使用了很多年了。 |
But our homemade play-dough actually has half the resistance of commercial Play-Doh. |
但我们自制的橡皮泥 实际上只有市场上橡皮泥电阻的一半。 |
resistance:n.电阻;抵抗;阻力;抗力; commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告;
|
And that sugar dough ? |
那个糖橡皮泥呢? |
dough:n.生面团;金钱;
|
Well it's 150 times more resistant to electric current than that salt dough. |
它的电阻是咸橡皮泥的 150倍。 |
resistant:adj.抵抗的,反抗的;顽固的;n.抵抗者;
|
So what does that mean? |
那么,这意味着什么? |
Well it means if you them together you suddenly have circuits -- circuits that the most creative , tiny, little hands can build on their own. |
这意味着把它们放在一起,突然间你就有了电路 -- 可以由富有创造力的小手们制作而成 的电路。 |
circuits:n.环行路线;电路;线路;巡回赛;v.巡回;周游;(circuit的第三人称单数和复数) creative:adj.创造性的;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And so I want to do a little demo for you. |
那么我来为你们做个小小的演示。 |
demo:v.试用(尤指软件);演示;示范;n.试样唱片;录音样带;
|
So if I take this salt dough, again, it's like the play-dough you probably made as kids, and I plug it in -- it's a two-lead battery pack, simple battery pack, you can buy them at Radio Shack and pretty much anywhere else -- we can actually then light things up. |
如果我拿着这个咸橡皮泥 -- 再说一次,这就像是各位在孩童时期玩的橡皮泥 -- 我把它插入 -- 这是一个双极式铅蓄电池,普通的电池 -- 可以在Radio Shack买到 几乎任何地方都有卖 -- 我们能让 灯亮起来。 |
plug:n.插头;塞子;栓;v.塞住;用插头将与电源接通; battery:n.[电]电池,蓄电池;n.[法]殴打;n.[军]炮台,炮位; Shack:n.棚屋;小室;vi.居住;
|
But if any of you have studied electrical engineering , we can also create a short circuit . |
但如果你们中有人学过电气工程的话, 我们也可以做出个短路来。 |
electrical engineering:n.电气工程;电机工程学; short circuit:vt.使短路;缩短;使…不工作;使简短;vi.发生短路;
|
If I push these together, the light turns off. |
如果我把它们放在一起,灯就灭了。 |
Right, the current wants to run through the play-dough, not through that LED. |
是的,电流会通过橡皮泥,而不是通过那个LED灯。 |
run through:n.贯通;从头到尾读一遍;排练;
|
If I separate them again, I have some light. |
如果我分开它们,灯就亮了。 |
Well now if I take that sugar dough, the sugar dough doesn't want to conduct electricity. |
现在,如果我用糖橡皮泥, 糖橡皮泥并不导电。 |
It's like a wall to the electricity. |
它像是一堵阻挡电流通过的墙。 |
If I place that between, now all the dough is touching, but if I stick that light back in, |
如果我把它放在中间,所有的橡皮泥都接触在一起, 但如果我把灯插回去, |
I have light. |
灯亮了。 |
In fact, I could even add some movement to my sculptures. |
实际上,我甚至能在我的雕塑上加些运动的部件。 |
If I want a spinning tail, let's grab a motor, put some play-dough on it, stick it on and we have spinning. |
如果想要个旋转的尾巴,就找个马达来, 在上面放些橡皮泥,插上去, 就会开始旋转了。 |
spinning:n.纺纱(手艺):纺线v.(使)旋转:纺线:纺纱;(spin的现在分词) grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And once you have the basics, we can make a slightly more complicated circuit. |
一旦有了这些基础, 我们就能制作一个稍微复杂些的电路了。 |
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
|
We call this our sushi circuit. It's very popular with kids. |
我们称这个为寿司电路。它非常受孩子们的欢迎。 |
I plug in again the power to it. |
我把电源插上去。 |
And now I can start talking about parallel and series circuits. |
现在我可以开始讲讲并联和串联电路了。 |
parallel:adj.平行的; v.与…相似; n.极其相似的人(或情况、事件等); series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书;
|
I can start plugging in lots of lights. |
我能插上很多灯泡。 |
plugging:v.堵塞;封堵;补足;补充;推广;宣传;(plug的现在分词)
|
And we can start talking about things like electrical load. |
我们也能开始谈谈像电力负荷这类事情了。 |
What happens if I put in lots of lights and then add a motor? |
如果我放上许多的灯泡 然后再加上一个马达,会怎样? |
It'll dim . |
灯变暗了。 |
dim:adj.暗淡的,昏暗的; v.使暗淡,使失去光泽; n.笨蛋,傻子;
|
We can even add microprocessors and have this as an input and create squishy sound music that we've done. |
我们甚至能加入微处理器 用这个作为输入 并创造出轻柔的音乐,我们曾这么做过。 |
microprocessors:n.[计]微处理器(microprocessor的复数);[计]微处理机; input:n.投入; v.把(数据等)输入计算机; squishy:adj.粘糊糊的;湿软的;
|
You could do parallel and series circuits for kids using this. |
可以让孩子们用这个来做 并联或串联电路。 |
So this is all in your home kitchen. |
这些在家里的厨房中就能做到。 |
We've actually tried to turn it into an electrical engineering lab. |
实际上我们尝试过把它变成一个电气工程实验室。 |
We have a website, it's all there. These are the home recipes. |
我们有个网站,上面什么都有。这些是配方。 |
We've got some videos. You can make them yourselves. |
我们还有些视频。大家可以自己制作它们。 |
And it's been really fun since we put them up to see where these have gone. |
因为把这些东西制作出来并看着它们成功运行,实在是很有趣。 |
We've had a mom in Utah who used them with her kids, to a science researcher in the U.K., and curriculum developers in Hawaii. |
在犹他州有位母亲,与她的孩子们一起玩这些橡皮泥, 她的孩子成了英国的科学研究员 并在夏威夷开发新课程。 |
Utah:n.美国犹他州; curriculum:n.课程;总课程; developers:n.开发商;发展者;[摄]显影剂(developer的复数);
|
So I would encourage you all to grab some Play-Doh, grab some salt, grab some sugar and start playing. |
因此我鼓励各位都抓把橡皮泥, 抓些盐,抓些糖,开始玩儿吧。 |
We don't usually think of our kitchen as an electrical engineering lab or little kids as circuit designers, but maybe we should. |
我们并不常把我们的厨房想象成电气工程实验室 或把小孩子们想象成电路设计师, 但也许我们应该这么做。 |
Have fun. Thank you. |
玩得开心。谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |