|
|
AngeliqueParisotPotter_2020W-_-
|
Let me tell you a story, where you'll meet the characters who I'll call Bilal and Brenda. |
我想讲一个故事, 故事中的主人公是 比拉尔和布伦达。 |
I was working in a most remarkable part of the world. |
我在世界上一个 最不寻常的地方工作。 |
And one unremarkable morning, a colleague came to see me. |
一个普普通通的早晨, 一个同事来看我。 |
She told me that Bilal, one of our senior executives , had been telling everyone I was being removed because I'd been messing with the wrong people. |
她告诉我,我们的 一名高级管理人员比拉尔 一直在四处宣扬,我要被解雇了, 因为我惹错了人。 |
remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的; unremarkable:adj.平凡的;不显著的;不值得注意的; colleague:n.同事,同僚; senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人; executives:n.经理,主管领导,管理人员;领导层;行政部门(executive的复数) messing:v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;(mess的现在分词)
|
And now, I was going to face the consequences . |
现在,我要承担相应的后果。 |
I wasn't alarmed, because I knew I had done what I'd been hired to do: my job, dealing with thorny issues head on and leaving no stone unturned . |
我丝毫没有感到惊慌, 因为我知道, 我只是做了我该做的事: 我的工作, 就是处理棘手的事务, 掀开每一块石头, 仔细查看,不留死角。 |
consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数); thorny:adj.多刺的;痛苦的;令人苦恼的; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) unturned:adj.未翻转的;未颠倒的;不转动的;
|
In fact, in the months prior to this, we'd overturned more than just a few stones. |
事实上,在此之前的几个月里, 我们不仅仅是掀开了 几块石头而已。 |
Those details are for another time. |
具体的细节就不详述了。 |
I called my husband, James, to tell him about this bizarre conversation, and with what proved to be great foresight , he said, "Angélique, pack your things and call Brenda, in that order." |
我打电话给我丈夫詹姆斯, 告诉了他这次奇怪的谈话, 他很有远见地说, “安琪莉可,赶快收拾好 你的东西,给布伦达打电话。” |
prior:adj.先前的; n.(小隐修院)院长; v.居先; overturned:v.推翻;倾覆;撤销;(overturn的过去分词和过去式) bizarre:adj.奇异的(指态度,容貌,款式等); foresight:n.先见,远见;预见;深谋远虑;
|
I called Brenda. |
我给布伦达打了电话。 |
I'd worked with her for a number of years, and I trusted her. |
我和她共事多年, 我很信任她。 |
She was the person who'd recommended me for that job. |
她是推荐我做那份工作的人。 |
I cut to the chase , because my husband's reaction made me realize this was more than just the usual stuff I'd encountered before. |
我开门见山, 因为我丈夫的反应让我意识到, 这绝不是一次普通的事件。 |
And I say usual, but in that moment of clarity , it dawned on me what James had already recognized : none of this was usual. |
我说普通,但就在那一刻, 我明白了, 詹姆斯已经意识到了什么: 这些都很不寻常。 |
recommended:v.推荐;举荐;介绍;劝告;建议;(recommend的过去分词和过去式) cut to the chase:开门见山;提到关键问题;转入(或切入)正题; reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: encountered:v.遭遇,遇到;偶然碰到;意外地遇见;(encounter的过去分词和过去式) clarity:n.清楚,明晰;透明; dawned:n.天亮了;v.破晓(dawn的过去分词); recognized:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的过去分词和过去式)
|
These irregularities , part of a pattern I'd failed to notice, were what I now know as open secrets living beneath those proverbial stones I'd had the audacity to overturn. |
我现在才意识到,这些非常规的、 我没有注意到的模式的一部分, 早已是公开的秘密, 它们就隐藏在那些众所周知的, 我曾试图大胆掀开的石头下面。 |
To my shock, I learned that this was happening because I hadn't tried hard enough to operate in the "gray space." |
令我震惊的是, 我了解到,发生这种情况 是因为我没有足够努力 尝试在“灰色地带”游走。 |
I didn't seem to know when to kick things into the long grass. |
那时的我似乎并不知道什么时候 要把某些东西踢到草丛里去。 |
irregularities:n.不齐,不规则;谬误;不法行为; beneath:prep.在…之下;adv.在下方; proverbial:adj.谚语的;众所周知的;谚语式的; audacity:n.大胆;厚颜无耻;
|
And I didn't understand that this was how the system worked. |
那时的我也不明白, 这个系统就是这样运作的。 |
The message, the implied threat, was clear. |
这条信息,其隐含的威胁, 是非常明确的。 |
Over the next few weeks, |
在接下来的几周里, |
I was replaced by a convenient yes-man while I was still there. |
当我还在职的时候, 就被一个唯唯诺诺的人取代了。 |
I suffered from terrible gastritis , and I pretended to our two young daughters that I still had that job. |
除了要忍受严重的胃炎, 我还要对两个年幼的女儿假装 自己仍然在做那份工作。 |
implied:adj.不言而喻的; v.含有…的意思; (imply的过去分词和过去式) convenient:adj.实用的;便利的;方便的; yes-man:好好先生;应声虫; gastritis:n.[内科]胃炎;
|
Leaving home every morning, dressed up as if for work, to drop them to school, for six months. |
六个月来,我每天早上出门时 都会穿得像是要去上班, 再照常送她们去学校。 |
I did not submit , but I won't pretend that it was easy to speak up or beneficial in any way to me, to my family or to my career . |
我没有屈服, 但我不会假装 把这些说出来很容易, 或者对我、我的家庭 或我的事业有任何好处。 |
When we speak up in the workplace despite policies to the contrary , whilst we may not lose our jobs, we are likely to lose the camaraderie of our coworkers . |
当我们在工作场所 不顾政策的反对而大胆发声时, 虽然我们可能不会失去工作, 但我们很可能会失去 同事之间的友情—— |
submit:vt.使服从;主张;呈递;vi.提交;服从; beneficial:adj.有益的,有利的;可享利益的; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; workplace:n.工作场所;车间; despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) to the contrary:相反; whilst:conj.同时;时时,有时;当…的时候; camaraderie:n.友情;同志之爱; coworkers:n.同事;合作人;(coworker的复数形式)
|
Disbelieved , ostracized , faced with under-the-radar bullying . |
不被信任,不被接纳, 面对有针对性的欺凌—— |
You know the kind when you walk into a room and everyone stops talking? |
就是当你进入一个房间, 大家就都不再说话的那种感觉。 |
We think: It's not my responsibility to say anything. |
我们普遍认为: 我并没有义务去说出什么。 |
So why did I choose to act despite the risks to my family and to me? |
那么,为什么我选择不顾自己 和家人安慰而执意这样做呢? |
Disbelieved:vt.不信;怀疑;vi.不信;怀疑; ostracized:v.排挤;排斥;(ostracize的过去式和过去分词) bullying:n.仗势欺人者;横行霸道者;v.恐吓;伤害;胁迫;(bully的现在分词)
|
The sin of omission is a failure to do what you know is right. |
疏忽的罪过, 就是没有做你认为正确的事。 |
When you stay quiet, even though you're not guilty of wrongdoing yourself, what will you have to live with if you don't take action? |
当你保持沉默时, 即使你自己没有做错事, 但如果不采取行动, 你将不得不面对什么? |
So who are you in this lineup of actors? |
那么在这个故事中, 你扮演着谁的角色? |
omission:n.疏忽,遗漏;省略;冗长; guilty:adj.有罪的;内疚的; wrongdoing:n.不法行为;坏事;作恶;欺骗行径; lineup:n.阵容;一组人;电视节目时间表;
|
The bad actor, the wrongdoer ? |
是那个反面角色,做坏事的人? |
The bad stander who benefits directly or indirectly and acts as a puppet for the bad actor? |
是那个直接或间接受益、 充当反面角色傀儡的同谋? |
The bystander , aware of the open secrets but not actually doing anything wrong or the upstander? |
是旁观者—— 早已熟知这些公开的秘密, 却始终无动于衷? 还是做一个挺身而出的勇者? |
wrongdoer:n.做坏事的人;违法犯罪者; stander:n.机架;竖立的东西;煤柱;采伐残留木; indirectly:adv.间接地;不诚实;迂回地; puppet:n.木偶;傀儡; bystander:n.旁观者;看热闹的人;
|
This is the person we want to see when we look in the mirror. |
这就是在照镜子时, 我们想看到的人。 |
I've learned three things: |
我学到了三件事。 |
One, don't second guess yourself. |
第一,不要怀疑自己。 |
When you see something amiss , ask questions, because it is okay to challenge those in authority . |
当你发现事情不对劲的时候, 要大胆质疑, 因为挑战当权者是可以接受的。 |
Two, don't be complicit . |
二、不要与人同流合污, |
You always have the power to say no in the face of wrongdoing. |
面对错误的行为, 你总是有权说不。 |
And three, be an upstander. |
第三,必要的时候,挺身而出。 |
Speaking up is not about being brave. |
大胆发声,不代表无所畏惧,[04:44] |
amiss:adj.有毛病的,有缺陷的;出差错的;adv.错误地; authority:n.权威;权力;当局; complicit:adj.有同谋关系的,串通一气的; in the face of:面对;
|
It's not about not feeling scared. |
不代表心中不感到害怕。 |
But when you do what you know is right, you can be at peace with yourself. |
而是当你做你认为对的事情时, 你可以平静地面对自己。 |
Yes, it is hard to say what you feel in the moment. |
是的,你可能很难形容 自己此刻的感受。 |
Do it anyway. Be fearless . |
但无论如何,都要行动起来, 无所畏惧。 |
Martin Luther King said, "In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." |
马丁·路德·金曾经说过, “最终,我们记住的 将不是敌人说了什么, 而是朋友的沉默。” |
So when you look in the mirror, who will you see? |
所以当你照镜子的时候, 你会看到谁? |
fearless:adj.无畏的;大胆的;
|
A bystander, keeper of open secrets? |
一个旁观者? 一个公开秘密的守护者? |
Or will the person looking back at you be an upstander? |
还是一个愿意挺身而出的人? |
I know who I see. |
我知道我看到了谁, |
I know who my daughters see. |
也知道我的女儿看见了谁。 |
The choice is yours. |
选择权,就在你的手里。 |