|
|
AndrewYoun_2016-_我们能打赢贫穷的三个理由_
|
I've been living in rural East Africa for about 10 years, and I want to share a field perspective with you on global poverty . |
我在东非乡下住了大约十年, 我想跟大家从农作的实务观点来谈全球贫穷问题。 |
rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
|
I believe that the greatest failure of the human race is the fact that we've left more than one billion of our members behind. |
我相信人类最大的失败, 就是把超过十亿的同类抛诸在后这个事实。 |
human race:n.人类;
|
Hungry, extreme poverty: these often seem like gigantic , insurmountable problems, too big to solve. |
饥饿、赤贫: 这些常常被视为巨大、难以克服的问题, 大到无法可解。 |
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物; gigantic:adj.巨大的,庞大的; insurmountable:adj.不能克服的;不能超越的;难以对付的;
|
But as a field practitioner , |
但是身为农作实务工作者, |
practitioner:n.开业者,从业者,执业医生;
|
I believe these are actually very solvable problems if we just take the right strategies . |
我相信这些都是可以实际解决的问题, 只要我们用对策略。 |
solvable:adj.可以解决的;可以解的;可溶的; strategies:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;(strategy的复数)
|
Archimedes was an ancient Greek thinker, and he taught us that if we lean on the right levers , we can move the world. |
阿基米德是古希腊思想家, 他教导我们,要是用对槓杆, 我们就能举起地球。 |
Archimedes:n.阿基米德(古希腊数学家,物理学家,发明家,学者); lean:v.前俯(或后仰):倾斜:adj.肉少的:难以赚钱的:贫乏的:n.瘦肉: levers:n.杠杆;手段(lever的复数);v.用杠杆撬动(lever的第三人称单数);
|
In the fight against extreme poverty, I believe there are three powerful levers that we can lean on. |
要对抗赤贫,我相信我们可以用 三个有力的槓杆。 |
This talk is all about those levers, and why they make poverty a winnable fight in our lifetimes. |
这场演讲就是要谈这三个槓杆,以及为什么这些方法 能让我们在有生之年打赢贫穷之战。 |
winnable:adj.能赢得的;可成功的;
|
What is extreme poverty? |
什么是赤贫? |
When I first moved to rural East Africa, |
我第一次搬到东非乡下时, |
I stayed overnight with a farm family. |
我在某户农家度过一晚。 |
overnight:adj.夜间的; v.在夜间; n.(美)前一天的晚上;
|
They were wonderful people. |
他们都是很好的人。 |
They invited me into their home. We sang songs together and ate a simple dinner. |
他们邀我到家里。我们一起唱了几首歌, 吃了一顿简便的晚餐。 |
They gave me a blanket to sleep on the floor. |
他们给了我一条毯子,让我睡在地上。 |
In the morning, however, there was nothing to eat. |
但是到了早上,没有东西可吃。 |
And then at lunchtime, I watched with an increasingly sick feeling as the eldest girl in the family cooked porridge as a substitute for lunch. |
然后到了午餐时间,我目睹了一场愈看愈难过的景象, 这户人家的大女儿煮了一锅粥充当午餐。 |
increasingly:adv.越来越多地;渐增地; eldest:adj.最年长的;年事最高的(old的最高级);n.最年长者; porridge:n.麦片粥;面糊 substitute:v.取代;(以…)代替;n.代用品;代替物;代替者;替补(运动员);
|
For that meal, every child drank one cup to survive. |
每个孩子都喝一碗粥熬过那天。 |
And I cannot tell you how ashamed I felt when they handed one of those cups to me, and I knew I had to accept their hospitality . |
他们分我一碗时,我真的无法用言语形容 我那时有多羞愧, 而且我知道我必须接受他们的款待。 |
ashamed:adj.惭愧;尴尬;因惭愧而不情愿; hospitality:n.好客;殷勤;
|
Children need food not only to survive but also to grow physically and mentally . |
孩童需要食物不仅是为了生存,还为了能让身心都能成长。 |
mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上;
|
Every day they fail to eat, they lose a little bit of their future. |
不够吃的每一天,都在蚕食他们的未来。 |
Amongst the extreme poor, one in three children are permanently stunted from a lifetime of not eating enough. |
在赤贫人口中,三分之一的孩子 因为一辈子都吃得太少而永久发育不良。 |
Amongst:prep.在…之中;在…当中(等于among); permanently:adv.永久地,长期不变地; stunted:adj.发育不良的; v.阻碍…发展(stunt的过去式及过去分词形式);
|
When that's combined with poor access to health care , one in 10 extremely poor children die before they reach age five. |
再加上没有医疗保健, 十分之一的赤贫孩童会在五岁前死亡。 |
health care:n.卫生保健; extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
|
And only one quarter of children complete high school because they lack school fees. |
只有四分之一的孩童能念完中学, 因为他们没钱缴学费。 |
Hunger and extreme poverty curb human potential in every possible way. |
饥饿与赤贫会百般抑制人类的潜能。 |
curb:vt.遏制;控制,限定,约束;n.起控制(或限制)作用的事物 potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
|
We see ourselves as a thinking, feeling and moral human race, but until we solve these problems for all of our members, we fail that standard , because every person on this planet matters. |
我们视自己为会思考、会感觉、有道德的人类, 但是在我们为自己的同类解决这些问题之前, 我们愧对于那个标准, 因为世上的每一个人都很重要。 |
moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的; standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的;
|
This child matters. |
这个孩子很重要。 |
These children matter. |
这些孩童很重要。 |
This girl matters. |
这个女孩很重要。 |
You know, we see things like this, and we're upset by them, but they seem like such big problems. |
你知道吗,我们看到像这样的事, 我们会很生气, 但是问题好像太大了。 |
upset:adj.沮丧; v.打乱; n.苦恼; (意外的)混乱;
|
We don't know how to take effective action. |
我们不知道该如何采取有效的行动。 |
effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象;
|
But remember our friend Archimedes. |
但是请记得我们的朋友阿基米德。 |
Global poverty has powerful levers. |
解决全球贫穷的有力槓杆, |
It's a problem like any other. |
就像其他的问题一样。 |
I live and work in the field, and as a practitioner, |
我在田间生活、工作,身为实务工作者, |
I believe these are very solvable problems. |
我相信这些是有办法解决的问题。 |
So for the next 10 minutes, let's not be sad about the state of the world. |
所以接下来十分钟, 我们不要为这世界的状态难过。 |
Let's engage our brains. |
让我们动动大脑。 |
engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定;
|
Let's engage our collective passion for problem-solving and figure out what those levers are. |
让我们集思广益,用解决问题的热情, 一同找出可用的槓杆。 |
collective:adj.集体的;共同的;集合的;集体主义的;n.集团;集合体;集合名词; passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; problem-solving:adj.问题解决的;n.解决问题;找出问题的答案;
|
Lever number one: most of the world's poor are farmers. |
槓杆一号:这世界最穷的人绝大多数是农夫。 |
Think about how extraordinary this is. |
想想这有多不寻常。 |
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
|
If this picture represents the world's poor, then more than half engage in farming as a major source of income. |
如果这张照片代表世界的穷人, 那么有一半以上是以农耕当他们的主要收入。 |
represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数) source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
|
This gets me really excited. |
这让我非常兴奋。 |
All of these people, one profession . |
这么多人,一种职業。 |
profession:n.行业,职业;业内人士;同行;
|
Think how powerful this is. |
想想这力量有多大。 |
When farmers become more productive , then more than half the world's poor earn more money and climb out of poverty. |
只要农夫能更有生产力,那么全世界半数以上的穷人 就能赚更多钱,爬出贫穷的深渊。 |
productive:adj.能生产的;生产的,生产性的;多产的;富有成效的;
|
And it gets better. |
更好的还在后面。 |
The product of farming is, of course, food. |
农耕的产物当然是食物。 |
So when farmers become more productive, they earn more food, and they don't just help themselves, but they help to feed healthy communities and thriving economies . |
农夫的生产力更好,代表他们会赚更多的食物, 这样不只是自助, 还能幫忙养活健康的社区,让经济繁榮。 |
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) thriving:v.兴旺发达;繁荣;旺盛;茁壮成长;(thrive的现在分词) economies:n.经济;经济结构;节约;(economy的复数)
|
And when farmers become more productive, they reduce environmental pressure. |
农夫的生产力更好,就能减少对环境的压力。 |
We only have two ways we can feed the world: we can either make our existing farmland a lot more productive, or we can clear cut forest and savannah to make more farmland, which would be environmentally disastrous . |
我们只有两种方法可以喂饱世界: 要不是让现有的农地大幅增产, 就是继续皆伐森林及疏林莽原转变成更多农地, 对环境产生冲击灾难。 |
farmland:n.农田; savannah:n.大草原,热带草原(等于savanna); environmentally:adv.有关环境方面; disastrous:adj.灾难性的;损失惨重的;悲伤的;
|
Farmers are basically a really important leverage point. |
农夫基本上是非常重要的槓杆作用点。 |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; leverage:n.影响力;杠杆作用;杠杆效力;v.举债经营;借贷收购;
|
When farmers become more productive, they earn more income, they climb out of poverty, they feed their communities and they reduce environmental land pressure. |
农夫的生产力更高, 就能赚更多收入,爬出贫穷深渊, 喂饱他们的社区,减少对土地环境的压力。 |
Farmers stand at the center of the world. |
农夫站在世界的中心。 |
And not a farmer like this one, but rather this lady. |
农夫都不像这样, 反而比较像这位女士。 |
Most of the farmers I know are actually women. |
大部分我认识的农夫都是妇女。 |
Look at the strength and the will radiating from this woman. |
看看这位女士散发出的力量及意志。 |
radiating:adj. v.发射出(光,热等)(radiate的现在分词);
|
She is physically strong, mentally tough, and she will do whatever it takes to earn a better life for her children. |
她的身体强壮,心志刚强, 她会不惜一切给孩子更好的生活。 |
If we're going to put the future of humanity in one person's hands, then I'm really glad it's her. |
如果我们要将人类的未来交在某人的手中, 那我真的很高兴是交给她。 |
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
There's just one problem: many smallholder farmers lack access to basic tools and knowledge. |
只有一个问题: 许多小农得不到基本的工具及知识。 |
smallholder:n.小农;小佃农;
|
Currently , they take a little bit of saved food grain from the prior year, they plant it in the ground and they till it with a manual hand hoe . |
目前,他们把一点去年留下来的食物种子 种在土里,而且用锄头犁地。 |
Currently:adv.当前;一般地; grain:n.粮食; v.把…作成细粒; prior:adj.先前的; n.(小隐修院)院长; v.居先; manual:n.说明书;指南;使用手册;adj.用手的;手工的;体力的;手动的; hoe:vt.锄,用锄头;vi.用锄耕地;n.锄头;
|
These are tools and techniques that date to the Bronze Age , and it's why many farmers are still very poor. |
这是青铜时代留下来的农作法, 这也是为什么许多农夫仍然非常贫穷。 |
techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数) Bronze Age:n.青铜时代;青铜器时代;
|
But good news, again. |
但是再说一次,这是好消息。 |
Lever number two: humanity actually solved the problem of agricultural poverty a century ago. |
槓杆二号: 人类其实在一个世纪前就解决了务农贫困的问题。 |
agricultural:adj.农业的;农艺的;
|
Let me walk you through the three most basic factors in farming. |
让我带大家看一下三个最基本的农事因子。 |
factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商;
|
First, hybrid seed is created when you cross two seeds together. |
第一,你将两种种子杂交就会产生杂交种子。 |
hybrid:n.杂种,混血儿;混合物;adj.混合的;杂种的;
|
If you naturally pollinate a high-yielding variety together with a drought-resistant variety, you get a hybrid that inherits positive traits from both of its parents. |
如果你让高产量的品种 与抗旱品种自然授粉, 你就会得到从双方遗传到好性状的杂交种。 |
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地; pollinate:vt.对...授粉; high-yielding:adj.高产的; variety:n.多样;种类;杂耍;变化,多样化; drought-resistant:adj.抗旱的; inherits:v.继承;经遗传获得;接替(责任等);继任;(inherit的第三人称单数) positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片;
|
Next, conventional fertilizer , if used responsibly , is environmentally sustainable . |
第二,负责地使用惯行肥料, 就是对环境的永续经营。 |
conventional:adj.符合习俗的,传统的;常见的;惯例的; fertilizer:n.[肥料]肥料;受精媒介物;促进发展者; responsibly:adv.负责地,可信赖地; sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的;
|
If you micro-dose just a pinch of fertilizer to a plant that's taller than I am, you unlock enormous yield gain. |
只要施与微剂量的肥料, 比我还高的植物 也能有庞大的产量。 |
pinch:v.拧;捏;掐;捏住;夹紧;偷摸;逮捕;n.捏;掐;拧;一撮; enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
|
These are known as farm inputs . |
这些被称为「农场投入(资源)」。 |
inputs:n.[自][电子]输入;投入(input的复数);
|
Farm inputs need to be combined with good practice. |
农场投入资源要与好的农作法结合。 |
When you space your seeds and plant with massive amounts of compost , farmers multiply their harvests. |
如果你撒种时留一定的间隔,并且施与大量堆肥, 农夫就能倍增收获。 |
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; compost:n.堆肥;混合物;vt.堆肥;施堆肥; multiply:vt.乘; vi.乘; v.多样地; adj.多层的;
|
These proven tools and practices have more than tripled agricultural productivity in every major region of the world, moving mass numbers of people out of poverty. |
这些证实有效的工具及方法 已使世界各主要地区农業产量增加三倍, 使众多百姓脱离贫穷。 |
tripled:adj.三倍的;三方的;n.三倍数;三个一组;vi.增至三倍;vt.使成三倍; productivity:n.生产力;生产率;生产能力; region:n.地区;范围;部位;
|
We just haven't finished delivering these things to everybody just yet, particularly in Sub-Saharan Africa. |
我们只是还没把这些方法提供给所有人而已, 特别是下撒哈拉非洲的居民。 |
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; Sub-Saharan:撒哈拉以南地区;
|
So overall , this is amazing news. |
所以总体而言,这是非常好的消息。 |
overall:v.全部; n.外套; adj.全面的;
|
Humanity actually solved agricultural poverty a century ago, in theory. |
理论上,人类早在一世纪前就解决了务农贫困的问题, |
We just haven't delivered these things to everybody just yet. |
我们只是还没把这些方法提供给所有人而已。 |
In this century, the reason that people remain poor is because maybe they live in remote places. |
这个世纪还有人贫穷的原因, 是因为他们可能住在偏远地区, |
remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的;
|
They lack access to these things. |
他们拿不到这些东西。 |
Therefore, ending poverty is simply a matter of delivering proven goods and services to people. |
因此,终结贫穷只要 把这些可靠的货品及服务送到他们手上就好。 |
We don't need more genius types right now. |
我们现在不需要更多天才。 |
genius:n.天才;天资;才能,本领;
|
The humble delivery guy is going to end global poverty in our lifetime. |
谦卑的送货员就能在我们有生之年终结全球贫穷。 |
humble:adj.谦逊的; vt.使谦恭; delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送;
|
So these are the three levers, and the most powerful lever is simply delivery. |
所以这就是我说的三个槓杆, 而最有力的槓杆就是递送。 |
Wherever the world's companies, governments and nonprofits set up delivery networks for life-improving goods, we eliminate poverty. |
无论公司、政府或非营利团体 在哪里建立递送网络,分发改善生活的货品, 我们都能消灭贫穷。 |
nonprofits:adj.非赢利的;不以赢利为目的的; eliminate:v.消除;排除;
|
OK, so that sounds really nice in theory, but what about in practice ? |
好,所以这在理论上听起来很不错, 但是要如何实施? |
in practice:在实践中;实际上,事实上;
|
What do these delivery networks look like? |
递送网络长什么样子? |
I want to share the concrete example that I know best, my organization , One Acre Fund . |
我想跟大家分享我最了解的实例, 就是我的组织,One Acre Fund(一亩金)。 |
concrete:n.混凝土;adj.混凝土制的;确实的,具体的;vt.用混凝土覆盖 organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; Fund:n.基金;资金;存款;v.投资;资助;
|
We only serve the farmer, and our job is to provide her with the tools that she needs to succeed. |
我们只为农夫服务, 我们的工作是提供她所需的工具及种子。 |
We start off by delivering farm inputs to really rural places. |
我们从递送农场投入资源到极偏僻的农村开始。 |
Now, this may appear initially very challenging, but it's pretty possible. Let me show you. |
乍看这很具挑战性, 但这真的可行,我来说明一下。 |
initially:adv.最初,首先;开头;
|
We buy farm inputs with the combined power of our farmer network, and store it in 20 warehouses like this. |
我们向网络内的农夫集资,买进农场投入资源 贮存在 20 间像这样的仓庫里。 |
warehouses:n.仓库,货栈;货仓;(warehouse的名词复数)
|
Then, during input delivery, we rent hundreds of 10-ton trucks and send them out to where farmers are waiting in the field. |
然后,在递送投入资源的期间,我们会租几百辆 10 吨大货车, 派去农夫等待的田间。 |
They then get their individual orders and walk it home to their farms. |
然后他们会取自己所订的货物,带回家拿到田里。 |
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
|
It's kind of like Amazon for rural farmers. |
这有点像给农民用的亚马逊。 |
Amazon:亚马逊;古希腊女战士;
|
Importantly, realistic delivery also includes finance , a way to pay. |
很重要的是,实际可行的递送服务也包括财务,即付款的方式。 |
realistic:adj.现实的;现实主义的;逼真的;实在论的; finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费;
|
Farmers pay us little by little over time, covering most of our expenses . |
农夫可以分期付款,尽量打平我们绝大部分的支出。 |
little by little:渐渐;逐渐地; expenses:n.费用;价钱;开销;开支;花费;(expense的复数)
|
And then we surround all that with training. |
然后我们提供训练。 |
Our rural field officers deliver practical , hands-on training to farmers in the field every two weeks. |
我们的农村外勤人员,提供实际的操作训练 给在田间工作的农夫, 每两星期一次。 |
practical:adj.实际的;真实的;客观存在的;n.实习课;实践课; hands-on:adj.亲身实践的,亲自动手的;
|
Wherever we deliver our services, farmers use these tools to climb out of poverty. |
我们递送服务可达的地方,农夫都用这些工具 脱离贫穷。 |
This is a farmer in our program, Consolata. |
这位是参与我们计画的农民,康莎拉塔。 |
Look at the pride on her face. |
看看她得意的样子! |
She has achieved a modest prosperity that I believe is the human right of every hardworking person on the planet. |
她现在家境小康,已达到我认为 |
modest:adj.些许的;谦虚的; prosperity:n.繁荣,成功; human right:n.人权;
|
Today, I'm proud to say that we're serving about 400,000 farmers like Consolata. |
今天,我可以很自豪地说我们服务了约四十万位像她这样的农民。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
The key to doing this is scalable delivery. |
做这件事的重点是可扩充式递送。 |
scalable:adj.可攀登的;可去鳞的;可称量的;
|
In any given area, we hire a rural field officer who delivers our services to 200 farmers, on average, with more than 1,000 people living in those families. |
我们在每一个服务地区都雇用农村外勤人员, 他们将我们的服务提供给平均二百位农夫, 超过一千人生活在这些家庭里。 |
field officer:n.地区工作人员;陆军校官;
|
Today, we have 2,000 of these rural field officers growing very quickly. |
今天,我们有二千名农村外勤人员, 成长非常快速。 |
This is our delivery army, and we're just one organization. |
这就是我们的递送大军, 而我们只是一个组织。 |
There are many companies, governments and nonprofits that have delivery armies just like this. |
还有很多公司、政府及非营利组织 有像这样的递送大军。 |
And I believe we stand at a moment in time where collectively , we are capable of delivering farm services to all farmers. |
我相信我们正站在一个重要时刻, 我们能一起递送农村服务给所有的农夫。 |
collectively:adv.共同地,全体地; capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的;
|
Let me show you how possible this is. |
让我跟大家说明这要如何达成。 |
This is a map of Sub-Saharan Africa, with a map of the United States for scale . |
这是下撒哈拉非洲地图, 旁边是美国地图做比例对照。 |
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
|
I chose Sub-Saharan Africa because this is a huge delivery territory . |
我选择下撒哈拉非洲因为这是非常广大的递送区。 |
territory:n.领土,领域;范围;地域;版图;
|
It's very challenging. |
非常具挑战性。 |
But we analyzed every 50-mile by 50-mile block on the continent , and we found that half of farmers live in just these shaded regions . |
但是我们把非陆画成50 平方哩的区块来分析, 我们发现一半的农夫都住在这几块阴影区里。 |
analyzed:v.分析(analyze的过去式和过去分词);检讨; continent:n.大陆,洲,陆地;adj.自制的,克制的; shaded:adj.荫蔽的;色彩较暗的;v.遮蔽住;使阴暗(shade的过去分词); regions:n.地区;地域;行政区;左近;(region的复数)
|
That's a remarkably small area overall. |
整体来看这是非常小的一块区域。 |
remarkably:adv.非常;极为;格外;出乎意料地
|
If you were to lay these boxes next to each other within a map of the United States, they would only cover the Eastern United States. |
如果你把这几个区块 在美国地图内一个接一个排起来, 只会盖住美东地区。 |
Eastern:adj.东方的;向东的;东部的;东方国家的;n.东方人;东正教信徒;
|
You can order pizza anywhere in this territory and it'll arrive to your house hot, fresh and delicious. |
在这片区域的任何地方,你都能叫比萨外送, 然后香噴噴热腾腾的现做比萨就会送到你家。 |
If America can deliver pizza to an area of this size, then Africa's companies, governments and non-profits can deliver farm services to all of her farmers. |
如果美国能做到在这样大小的地区送比萨, 那非洲的公司、政府及非营利组织 也能做农村递送服务给所有的农夫。 |
non-profits:非盈利;
|
This is possible. |
这是可行的。 |
I'm going to wrap up by generalizing beyond just farming. |
我要扩大到农業之外的面向来总结。 |
wrap:v.缠绕;隐藏;掩护;包起来;缠绕;穿外衣;n.外套;围巾; generalizing:归纳;
|
In every field of human development, humanity has already invented effective tools to end poverty. |
在人类发展的各个领域上, 人类都已经发明了有用的工具以终结贫穷。 |
We just need to deliver them. |
我们只需要递送工具。 |
So again, in every area of human development, super-smart people a long time ago invented inexpensive , highly effective tools. |
所以让我再说一次,在各个人类发展领域, 都有超聪明的人在很久以前发明了便宜、 超有用的工具。 |
inexpensive:adj.廉价的;不昂贵的; highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地;
|
Humanity is armed to the teeth with simple, effective solutions to poverty. |
人类早就准备好 以简单有效的方案解决贫穷问题。 |
armed to the teeth:武装到牙齿;全副武装的;武装到了牙齿;
|
We just need to deliver these to a pretty small area. |
我们只需要把这些递送到很小的区域就可以了。 |
Again using the map of Sub-Saharan Africa as an example, remember that rural poverty is concentrated in these blue shaded areas. |
再拿下撒哈拉与美国地图为例, 记得农村贫穷都集中在这几块蓝色区域。 |
concentrated:adj.决心要做的; v.集中(注意力); (concentrate的过去式和过去分词)
|
Urban poverty is even more concentrated, in these green little dots. |
都市贫困更集中,就在这几个绿色小点上。 |
Urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的;
|
Again, using a map of the United States for scale, this is what I would call a highly achievable delivery zone. |
再用美国地图做比例, 这就是我称为极可能到达的递送区。 |
achievable:adj.可完成的;可有成就的;做得成的;
|
In fact, for the first time in human history, we have a vast amount of delivery infrastructure available to us. |
事实上,这是有史以来 人类有如此大的递送基础建设可用。 |
infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造;
|
The world's companies, governments and non-profits have delivery armies that are fully capable of covering this relatively small area. |
全世界的公司、政府及非营利组织 都有递送大军能完全 涵盖这块相对小的区域。 |
relatively:adv.相当程度上;相当地;相对地;
|
We just lack the will. |
我们只欠意愿。 |
If we are willing, every one of us has a role to play. |
如果我们愿意, 每一个人都有角色能参与。 |
We first need more people to pursue careers in human development, especially if you live in a developing nation. |
首先我们需要更多人追求人类发展这块事業, 尤其是在发展中国家的人。 |
pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠; careers:n.职业(career的复数);事业;职业生涯;v.全速前进(career的三单形式); especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
|
We need more front line health workers, teachers, farmer trainers, sales agents for life-improving goods. |
我们需要更多的一线医疗人员、教师、农村训练人员, 及代理改善生活品质货物的業务员。 |
front line:adj.前线的;第一线的; agents:n.代理人,经纪人;原动力;(agent的复数)
|
These are the delivery people that dedicate their careers to improving the lives of others. |
这些都是「递送员」, |
dedicate:vt.致力;献身;题献; improving:v.改进;改善;(improve的现在分词)
|
But we also need a lot of support roles. |
但是我们也需要很多支援的角色。 |
These are roles available at just my organization alone, and we're just one out of many. |
单单在我的组织里就有这样的需求, 而我们只是组织之一。 |
This may surprise you, but no matter what your technical specialty , there is a role for you in this fight. |
这可能会让你大吃一惊,但是无论你的技术专长为何, 在这场战役中总有你可以扮演的角色。 |
no matter what:不管什么…; technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的; specialty:n.专业,专长;特产;特性;招牌菜;adj.特色的;专门的;独立的;
|
And no matter how logistically possible it is to end poverty, we need a lot more resources . |
不管物流如何终结贫穷, 我们还是需要更多资源。 |
logistically:adv.逻辑地,运筹地;在后勤方面; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
|
This is our number one constraint . |
这是我们的头号限制。 |
constraint:n.[数]约束;局促,态度不自然;强制;
|
For private investors, we need a big expansion of venture capital , private equity , working capital , available in emerging markets. |
对于民间投资人,我们需要创投業者、 私募股权及流动资本扩大投资在这个新兴市场上。 |
expansion:n.扩张;膨胀;扩展;扩大; venture capital:风险投资; equity:n.公平,公正;衡平法;普通股;抵押资产的净值; working capital:n.流动资本;运营资本;周转资金; emerging:adj.新兴的;v.出现,浮现,露出;暴露;(emerge的现在分词)
|
But there are also limits to what private business can accomplish . |
但是民营企業能达成的使命还是有限。 |
accomplish:v.完成;实现;达到;
|
Private businesses often struggle to profitably serve the extreme poor, so philanthropy still has a major role to play. |
民营企業常常苦苦挣扎如何服务赤贫还能赚钱。 所以慈善事業仍然发挥主要功能。 |
profitably:adv.有利地;有益地; philanthropy:n.博爱,慈善;慈善事业;
|
Anybody can give, but we need more leadership. |
任何人都可以施与,但是我们需要更多领导角色。 |
We need more visionary philanthropists and global leaders who will take problems in human development and lead humanity to wipe them off the face of the planet. |
我们需要有远见的慈善家, 以及世界领袖,能正视人类发展问题, 进而率领人类消灭全世界的贫穷。 |
visionary:adj.梦想的;幻影的;n.空想家;梦想者;有眼力的人; philanthropists:n.慈善家,博爱主义者;乐善好施的人; wipe:v.擦;抹;拭;消除;n.擦;拭;揩;(湿)抹布;
|
If you're interested in these ideas, check out this website. |
如果你对这方面有兴趣,请看这个网页。 |
We need more leaders. |
我们需要更多领袖。 |
Humanity has put people on the moon. |
人类已经登月。 |
We've invented supercomputers that fit into our pockets and connect us with anybody on the planet. |
我们也发明了超级电脑,既能塞进口袋, 还能让我们与世上任何人连结。 |
supercomputers:n.[计]巨型计算机,超级计算机;
|
We've run marathons at a five-minute mile pace. |
我们能以五分钟一哩的速度跑马拉松。 |
We are an exceptional people. |
我们是卓越的人。 |
exceptional:adj.异常的,例外的;n.超常的学生;
|
But we've left more than one billion of our members behind. |
我们却把超过十亿的同类远远抛在后头。 |
Until every girl like this one has an opportunity to earn her full human potential, we have failed to become a truly moral and just human race. |
直到每个像这样的女孩都有机会 赢得她全部的潜力之前, 我们都称不上是有道德和有正义的人类。 |
Logistically speaking, it's incredibly possible to end extreme poverty. |
从物流管理来看,真的极有可能 终结赤贫。 |
incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地;
|
We just need to deliver proven goods and services to everybody. |
我们只需要递送可靠的货品及服务 给每一个人。 |
If we have the will, every one of us has a role to play. |
只要我们有意愿,我们每个人都能参与其中。 |
Let's deploy our time, our careers, our collective wealth . |
让我们充分利用我们的时间、我们的事業 及我们的集体财富。 |
deploy:v.部署;利用;[军事]展开;(使)张开; wealth:n.财富;大量;富有;
|
Let us deliver an end to extreme poverty in this lifetime. |
让我们递送赤贫终结书, 在此生之中。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |