返回首页

AndrewForrest_2019S-_一个结终结塑料垃圾的激进方法_-

Chris Anderson: So, you've been obsessed with this problem for the last few years. 克里斯·安得森: 你近几年都在 痴迷于这个问题。
obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词)
What is the problem, in your own words? 你认为问题到底是什么?
Andrew Forrest: Plastic. 安德烈·弗利斯特: 极其简单,
Simple as that. 塑料。
Our inability to use it for the tremendous energetic commodity that it is, and just throw it away. 我们无法将它 用作巨大的能源材料, 所以就把它扔掉。
inability:n.无能力;无才能; tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的; energetic:adj.精力充沛的;充满活力的;需要能量的;积极的; commodity:n.商品,货物;日用品;
CA: And so we see waste everywhere. 克里斯: 我们都看到了,浪费无处不在。
At its extreme , it looks a bit like this. 极端一些,就会像这样。
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
I mean, where was this picture taken? 这张照片是在哪里拍的?
AF: That's in the Philippines , and you know, there's a lot of rivers, ladies and gentlemen, which look exactly like that. 安德烈: 菲律宾, 在那里有很多河流, 女士们先生们, 看起来都是这样的。
Philippines:n.菲律宾;
And that's the Philippines. 那是在菲律宾拍摄的。
So it's all over Southeast Asia. 整个东南亚都能看到这样的河流。
Southeast:adj.东南的;来自东南的;n.东南;东南地区;adv.来自东南;
CA: So plastic is thrown into the rivers, and from there, of course, it ends up in the ocean. 克里斯: 塑料被扔到河里, 然后理所当然的进入海洋。
I mean, we obviously see it on the beaches, but that's not even your main concern . 很明显,我们在沙滩上能看到, 但是这不是你最主要的担忧,
concern:v.涉及,关系到;使担心;n.关系;关心;关心的事;
It's what's actually happening to it in the oceans. Talk about that. 你担忧的是真实发生在 海洋中的事情。讲讲吧。
AF: OK, so look. Thank you, Chris. 安德烈: 谢谢,克里斯。
About four years ago, 大概四年前,
I thought I'd do something really barking crazy, and I committed to do a PhD in marine ecology. 我想要做一些疯狂的事, 于是我拿到了 海洋生态学的博士学位。
barking:v.(狗)吠叫;厉声发令;厉声质问;(bark的现在分词) committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式) marine:adj.海的;海产的;海生的;海船的;n.(尤指美国或英国皇家)海军陆战队士兵;
And the scary part about that was, sure, I learned a lot about marine life, but it taught me more about marine death and the extreme mass ecological fatality of fish, of marine life, marine mammals , very close biology to us, 可怕的是, 当然,我学习了很多海洋生物, 但是它教给我更多的是 海洋生物的死亡, 海洋中极度混乱的生态情况, 海洋中的哺乳动物,鱼类, 生物上与我们很相近的动物,
mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集; ecological:adj.生态的,生态学的; fatality:n.死亡;宿命;致命性;不幸;灾祸; mammals:n.哺乳动物;(mammal的复数) biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学;
which are dying in the millions if not trillions that we can't count at the hands of plastic. 数以百万计的在死去,甚至更多, 仅仅是因为塑料。
trillions:n.[数]万亿;adj.万亿的;num.[数]万亿;
CA: But people think of plastic as ugly but stable . Right? 克里斯: 但是人们认为塑料是丑陋却无害的。
ugly:adj.丑陋的;邪恶的;令人厌恶的; stable:n.马厩;牛棚;adj.稳定的;牢固的;坚定的;vi.被关在马厩;赶入马房;
You throw something in the ocean, "Hey, it'll just sit there forever. 人们把垃圾扔进大海 “看吧,它会一直在这里。
Can't do any damage, right?" 并不会造成任何伤害,不是吗?”
AF: See, Chris, it's an incredible substance designed for the economy . 安德烈:不得不承认, 塑料是对经济最好的设计,
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; substance:n.物质;实质;主旨;物品; economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
It is the worst substance possible for the environment. 也是对环境最坏的设计。
The worst thing about plastics, as soon as it hits the environment, is that it fragments . 最坏的情况是, 当塑料一触碰到大自然, 它会分解成碎片。
as soon as:一…就; fragments:n.碎片(fragment的复数);片断;[计]分段;v.破碎(fragment的三单形式);打碎;
It never stops being plastic. 它永远都是塑料,
It breaks down smaller and smaller and smaller, and the breaking science on this, Chris, which we've known in marine ecology for a few years now, but it's going to hit humans. 只会分解得越来越小,越来越小, 这其中突破性的科学原理, 我们几年前在 海洋生态学中就有所了解, 它会影响到人类。
We are aware now that nanoplastic, the very, very small particles of plastic, carrying their negative charge, can go straight through the pores of your skin. 我们知道纳米塑料, 也就是塑料中非常,非常 小的分子,带着负电荷, 可以直接穿过你皮肤的毛孔。
particles:n.微粒,粒子;粒子系统;碎木料(particle的复数形式); negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; pores:n.[陶瓷]气孔;毛穴(pore的复数);v.注视;熟读;沉思(pore的第三人称单数);
That's not the bad news. 这还不是最坏的。
The bad news is that it goes straight through the blood-brain barrier , that protective coating which is there to protect your brain. 最坏的部分是, 它会进入到你的血脑屏障, 这层屏障能保护你的大脑。
barrier:n.屏障;障碍;障碍物;关口;v.用栅围住; protective:adj.防护的;关切保护的;保护贸易的;
Your brain's a little amorphous , wet mass full of little electrical charges. 你的大脑有着不规则的形状, 里面都是电荷。
amorphous:adj.无定形的;无组织的;[物]非晶形的; electrical:adj.有关电的;电气科学的;
You put a negative particle into that, particularly a negative particle which can carry pathogens , so you have a negative charge, it attracts positive-charge elements , like pathogens , toxins , mercury , lead. 你放进去一个负电荷, 特别是一个可能 有病原体的负电荷—— 负电荷可以吸引正电荷, 比如病原体,毒素, 水银,铅。
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; pathogens:n.[基医]病原体;病原菌;[基医]致病菌; positive-charge:na.[物]阳电荷;正电荷; elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数) toxins:n.[毒物]毒素,毒质;毒素类(toxin的复数); mercury:n.[化]汞,水银;[天]水星;温度表;精神,元气;
That's the breaking science we're going to see in the next 12 months. 这就是我们一年内 会看到的突破性科学。
CA: So already I think you told me that there's like 600 plastic bags or so for every fish that size in the ocean, something like that. 克里斯: 你之前提到过,每条在海里的鱼 平均能“分配”到大约600个塑料袋。
And they're breaking down, and there's going to be ever more of them, and we haven't even seen the start of the consequences of that. 这些塑料在分解, 会有更多的塑料袋, 目前我们甚至还没 意识到结局会是什么。
consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
AF: No, we really haven't. 安德烈: 是的,我们还没有。
The Ellen MacArthur Foundation , they're a bunch of good scientists, we've been working with them for a while . 艾伦·麦克阿瑟基金会 有很多优秀的科学家, 我们和他们合作了一段时间。
MacArthur:n.麦克阿瑟(美国五星上将); Foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立; a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
I've completely verified their work. 我完全验证了他们的工作。
verified:adj.已查清的,已证实的;
They say there will be one ton of plastic, Chris, for every three tons of fish by, not 2050 -- and I really get impatient with people who talk about 2050 -- by 2025. 他们说每三吨的鱼, 就能够“分配”到一吨的垃圾, 不需要等到2050年—— 每次人们讲2050年我都会 嗤之以鼻——而是2025年。
impatient:adj.焦躁的;不耐心的;
That's around the corner. 没几年了,
That's just the here and now . 这种情况眼看着就要发生了。
here and now:此时此地;立刻;
You don't need one ton of plastic to completely wipe out marine life. 不到一吨的塑料垃圾 就能彻底抹去海洋生物,
wipe:v.擦;抹;拭;消除;n.擦;拭;揩;(湿)抹布;
Less than that is going to do a fine job at it. 就算再少一点也一样。
So we have to end it straightaway . We've got no time. 所以我们要尽快解决, 我们的时间所剩无几了。
straightaway:n.直线跑道;adj.通俗易懂的;立刻的;笔直的;
CA: OK, so you have an idea for ending it, and you're coming at this not as a typical environmental campaigner , I would say, but as a businessmen, as an entrepreneur , who has lived -- 克里斯: 好的,你有一个很好的解决方法, 不像是那种典型的环境保护家, 而是以一个商人, 一个创业者的身份——
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; campaigner:n.竞选者;从军者;出征者;老兵; entrepreneur:n.企业家;承包人;主办者;
you've spent your whole life thinking about global economic systems and how they work. 你用了你的一生 思考全球经济系统 和它的原理。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的;
And if I understand it right, your idea depends on heroes who look something like this. 如果我理解得没错, 你的想法是基于这样的英雄。
What's her profession ? 她是做什么的?
profession:n.行业,职业;业内人士;同行;
AF: She, Chris, is a ragpicker, and there were 15, 20 million ragpickers like her, until China stopped taking everyone's waste. 安德烈: 她是一名拾荒者, 还有大约1500万到 2000万像她一样的人, 直到中国停止回收全世界的垃圾,
ragpickers:n.捡破烂的人;拾荒者;(ragpickers是ragpicker的复数)
And the price of plastic, minuscule that it was, collapsed . 原本微不足道的 塑料价格也随之崩塌了。
minuscule:n.小写字;草写小字;adj.极小的;用草写小字写的; collapsed:v.倒塌,坍塌;倒下,昏倒;坐下;(collapse的过去分词和过去式)
That led to people like her, which, now -- she is a child who is a schoolchild . 这导致很多像她一样的人, 那些学龄儿童没钱读书了,
schoolchild:n.学童;
She should be at school. 她应该在学校读书,
That's probably very akin to slavery . 这和奴隶制非常相似。
akin:adj.类似的;同类的;同族的; slavery:n.奴隶制;奴隶身份;蓄奴;adj.流口水的;被口水弄脏的;
My daughter Grace and I have met hundreds of people like her. 我和我的女儿格雷丝 看到了数百个像她一样的人。
Grace:n.优雅;恩惠;魅力;慈悲;v.使优美;
CA: And there are many adults as well, literally millions around the world, and in some industries, they actually account for the fact that, for example, we don't see a lot of metal waste in the world. 克里斯: 全世界还有数百万 像她一样的成人, 他们甚至功不可没,比如说, 他们甚至功不可没,比如说, 我们并没有看到很多金属垃圾。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: account for:对…负有责任;对…做出解释;说明…的原因;导致;(比例)占;
AF: That's exactly right. 安德烈: 正是如此。
That little girl is, in fact, the hero of the environment. 这个小女孩,事实上, 是保护环境的英雄。
She's in competition with a great big petrochemical plant which is just down the road , the three-and-a-half-billion-dollar petrochemical plant. 她在对抗一家石化厂, 就在那条路的另一边, 一家市值35亿美元的石化厂。
competition:n.竞争;比赛,竞赛; petrochemical:adj.石化的;n.石油化学产品; down the road:只要沿着这条路;将来;在路上;
That's the problem. 问题在于,
We've got more oil and gas in plastic and landfill than we have in the entire oil and gas resources of the United States. 在塑料堆填区中的油气资源 比整个美国的油气资源还要多。
landfill:n.垃圾填埋地;垃圾堆; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
So she is the hero. 从塑料回收的角度说, 她就是个英雄。
And that's what that landfill looks like, ladies and gentlemen, and it's solid oil and gas. 女士们先生们, 这就是堆填区的样子, 这些就是固态石油和天然气。
CA: So there's huge value potentially locked up in there that the world's ragpickers would, if they could, make a living from. 克里斯: 所以这里有很大的开发潜能, 这些捡垃圾的人们, 如果他们愿意,会以此为生。
potentially:adv.可能地,潜在地; make a living:谋生,维持生活;
But why can't they? 但是为什么他们不能呢?
AF: Because we have ingrained in us a price of plastic from fossil fuels, which sits just under what it takes to economically and profitably recycle plastic from plastic. 安德烈: 因为我们都有一种根深蒂固的思想, 来自化石燃料的原生塑料价格, 刚刚好比 通过经济的回收方法获得的 塑料的价格便宜一些。
ingrained:adj.根深蒂固的; v.使根深蒂固(ingrain的过去分词形式); fossil:n.化石;老人;老古董;adj.从地下发掘出来的;化石的;属于旧时代的;陈腐的; economically:adv.经济地;在经济上;节俭地; profitably:adv.有利地;有益地; recycle:v.回收利用;再利用;
See, all plastic is is building blocks from oil and gas. 要知道,所有的塑料 都来自石油和天然气。
building blocks:(儿童玩的)积木;建筑砌块;堆积木;建筑砖块;基石;
Plastic's 100 percent polymer , which is 100 percent oil and gas. 塑料百分之百是聚合物, 代表它百分之百是石油和天然气。
polymer:n.[高分子]聚合物;
And you know we've got enough plastic in the world for all our needs. 这世界上的塑料能满足我们 所有的需要。
And when we recycle plastic, if we can't recycle it cheaper than fossil fuel plastic, then, of course, the world just sticks to fossil fuel plastic. 当我们回收塑料时, 如果我们的回收价格 比原生的价格高, 理所当然的, 大家就会用原生塑料。
fossil fuel:n.化石燃料(如煤或石油);
CA: So that's the fundamental problem, the price of recycled plastic is usually more than the price of just buying it made fresh from more oil. 克里斯: 所以最主要的问题是, 回收塑料的价格通常高于 直接买新的塑料。
fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的; recycled:n.再生纸;回收站;adj.[环境]回收利用的;可循环再造的;
That's the fundamental problem. 这是最主要的问题。
AF: A slight tweak of the rules here, Chris. 安德烈: 我们把规则调整一下。
slight:adj.轻微的;略微的;细小的;纤细的;n.侮慢;冷落;轻视;v.侮慢;冷落;轻视; tweak:vt.扭;拧;扯;稍稍调整;n.扭;拧;扯;轻微调整
I'm a commodity person. 我是一个商人。
I understand that we used to have scrap metal and rubbish iron and bits of copper lying all round the villages, particularly in the developing world. 我明白我们曾经有很多 废金属,比如废铁, 还有一些铜,它们散布在 村子里的各个角落, 特别是发展中国家。
scrap:n.碎片;残余物;打架;少量;v.废弃;使解体;拆毁;adj.废弃的;零碎的; copper:n.铜;铜币;警察;adj.铜(制)的;(紫)铜色的;v.用铜板[铜皮]盖[包]; all round:周围,到处;
And people worked out it's got a value. 人们发现这些东西是值钱的。
It's actually an article of value, not of waste. 它们实际上有价值, 而不是废品。
Now the villages and the cities and the streets are clean, you don't trip over scrap copper or scrap iron now, because it's an article of value, it gets recycled. 现在村庄,城市,道路上 都是干干净净的, 如果你没有被废铁废铜绊倒, 那是因为它们有价值, 它们被回收了。
CA: So what's your idea, then, to try to change that in plastics? 克里斯:所以你的主张是 对塑料进行类似的回收?
AF: OK, so Chris, for most part of that PhD, I've been doing research. 安德烈: 这么说吧, 我读博士的大部分时间 都是在做研究。
And the good thing about being a businessperson who's done OK at it is that people want to see you. 当一个出色的商人的好处就是 能见到很多人。
businessperson:商人;
Other businesspeople , even if you're kind of a bit of a zoo animal species they'd like to check out, they'll say, yeah, OK, we'll all meet Twiggy Forrest. 其他的商人, 即使你是动物园里的动物, 他们也想看看, 他们会说,好啊,让我们 见见 Twiggy(嘉宾的昵称)。
businesspeople:商人; species:n.[生物]物种;种类; Twiggy:adj.多细枝的;苗条的;小枝繁茂的;
And so once you're in there, you can interrogate them. 当你们见面的时候, 你可以询问他们。
interrogate:v.讯问;审问;盘问;查询;
And I've been to most of the oil and gas and fast-moving consumer good companies in the world, and there is a real will to change. 我去过世界上大部分 的石油和天然气公司, 以及快速消耗品公司, 真的有想要做出改变的人。
fast-moving:adj.移动迅速的; consumer:n.[经]消费者;[生,生态]消费者;
I mean, there's a couple of dinosaurs who are going to hope for the best and do nothing, but there's a real will to change. 的确有一些巨头, 希望好事发生却不愿为此努力, 但是也有人真心想要做出改变。
for the best:出于好意;
So what I've been discussing is, the seven and a half billion people in the world don't actually deserve to have their environment smashed by plastic, their oceans rendered depauperate or barren of sea life because of plastic. 所以我一直谈论的是, 世界上的75亿人, 他们的环境不应该被塑料摧毁, 他们的海洋不应该腐烂掉, 海洋生物不应该被塑料灭绝。
deserve:vi.应受,应得; smashed:adj.大醉;v.打碎;(使)猛烈撞击;(用力)撞开;(smash的过去分词和过去式) rendered:v.使成为;给予;提供;回报;递交;(render的过去分词和过去式) depauperate:v.使贫穷;使衰落;使萎缩;adj.贫穷的;发育不全的; barren:n.不毛之地;adj.贫瘠的;不毛的;不结果实的;不育的;
So you come down that chain, and there's tens of thousands of brands which we all buy heaps of products from, but then there's only a hundred major resin producers, big petrochemical plants, that spew out all the plastic which is single use. 所以你要找到这循环的开端, 有成千上万的品牌, 我们成堆的买他们的产品, 但是只有一百个树脂生产商, 大型石化厂, 只用过一次的塑料, 从那喷涌而出。
brands:n.品牌;烙印(brand的复数);v.加商标于;铭刻于(brand的第三人称单数); resin:n.树脂;松香;vt.涂树脂;用树脂处理; spew:vt.喷出;呕吐;vi.喷涌;呕吐;
CA: So one hundred companies are right at the base of this food chain , as it were . 克里斯: 所以有一百个公司 在这循环的根源。
food chain:n.食物链; as it were:可以说是,似乎就是;好像;
AF: Yeah. 安德烈: 是的。
CA: And so what do you need those one hundred companies to do? 克里斯:那么这一百个公司, 你认为应该怎么做呢?
AF: OK, so we need them to simply raise the value of the building blocks of plastic from oil and gas, which I call "bad plastic," 安德烈: 很简单。我们需要他们提高 用石油和天然气 做成的塑料的价格, 我们把它们称作“坏塑料”,
raise the value of that, so that when it spreads through the brands and onto us, the customers, we won't barely even notice an increase in our coffee cup or Coke or Pepsi , or anything. 提高它们的价格, 而当它们进入市场后, 我们作为消费者, 甚至不会注意到 咖啡杯的涨价 或者可乐,或者百事 任何东西的轻微涨价。
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地; Pepsi:n.[食品]百事可乐(一种饮料的商标名称);
CA: Like, what, like a cent extra ? 克里斯: 就贵了1分钱?
extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外:
AF: Less. Quarter of a cent, half a cent. 安德烈: 更少,半分钱。
It'll be absolutely minimal . 这种增长几乎察觉不到。
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; minimal:adj.最低的;最小限度的;
But what it does, it makes every bit of plastic all over the world an article of value. 但是它的作用是, 能使世界上每一片垃圾都有价值。
Where you have the waste worst, say Southeast Asia, India, that's where the wealth is most. 当你有很严重的污染, 比如说东南亚,印度, 那里是财富最丰盈的地方。
wealth:n.财富;大量;富有;
CA: OK, so it feels like there's two parts to this. 克里斯:好的,所以 这里面包含两部分。
One is, if they will charge more money but carve out that excess and pay it -- into what? -- a fund operated by someone to tackle this problem of -- what? 第一部分,让原生塑料涨价, 并把价格超出的部分 用来支付—— 比如某种被管理的资金, 用来解决什么样的问题是吗?
carve:vt.雕刻;切开;开创;vi.切开;做雕刻工作; excess:n.超过,超额;过度,过量;无节制;adj.额外的,过量的;附加的; tackle:v.处理; n.用具;
What would that money be used for, that they charge the extra for? 那些钱会用来做什么? 那些额外的钱?
AF: So when I speak to really big businesses, 安德烈: 当我跟大企业交谈时,
I say, "Look, I need you to change, and I need you to change really fast," 我会说 “听着,我需要你 改了这个,而且越快越好。”
their eyes are going to peel over in boredom , unless I say, "And it's good business." 他们的眼神透露出不感兴趣, 除非我说: “这是一个很不错的项目。”
boredom:n.厌倦;令人厌烦的事物;
'"OK, now you've got my attention, Andrew." “现在我开始感兴趣了,安德烈。”
So I say, "Right, I need you to make a contribution to an environmental and industry transition fund. 所以我会说: “好的,我需要你 对环境和产业转型资金做出贡献。
contribution:n.捐款;捐资;定期缴款;贡献;促成作用;稿件; transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡;
Over two or three years, the entire global plastics industry can transition from getting its building blocks from fossil fuel to getting its building blocks from plastic. 在接下来的两三年, 整个全球塑料产业 可以从使用化石燃料 转变到用回收塑料。
The technology is out there. 这项科技已经存在了,
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
It's proven." 已经被证实过有效。
I've taken two multibillion-dollar operations from nothing, recognizing that the technology can be scaled . 我已经从无到有进行了 两次数十亿美元的操作, 认识到这项技术是可以规模化的。
multibillion-dollar:adj.数万亿美元的; recognizing:v.认识;认出;承认;接受,赞成(recognize的现在分词) scaled:adj.有鳞的; v.刮去鳞片;
I see at least a dozen technologies in plastic to handle all types of plastic. 我见过至少十几种可以 处理各种各样的塑料的科技。
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
So once those technologies have an economic margin , which this gives them, that's where the global public will get all their plastic from, from existing plastic. 一旦这项产业为这些科技 带来了经济价值, 这将会使全世界的塑料需求 都转向回收塑料。
margin:n.边缘;利润,余裕;页边的空白;v.加边于;加旁注于;
CA: So every sale of virgin plastic contributes money to a fund that is used to basically transition the industry and start to pay for things like cleanup and other pieces. 克里斯:所以每卖出 一片新塑料,就会有更多资金 用于此产业的转型, 以及环境的清理。
virgin:n.处女;童男;无…经验的人;新手; contributes:[图情]投稿;[经]捐助;[经]捐献(contribute的第三人称单数); basically:adv.主要地,基本上; cleanup:n.清除;暴利;清扫工作;第四防守位置;adj.第四位击球员的;
AF: Absolutely. Absolutely. 安德烈: 当然,当然。
CA: And it has the incredible side benefit, which is maybe even the main benefit, of creating a market. 克里斯: 而且它有不可思议的额外优点, 甚至可以成为主要优点, 那就是创造新市场。
It suddenly makes recyclable plastic a giant business that can unlock millions of people around the world to find a new living collecting it. 忽然之间,可回收塑料 成为了巨大的产业, 可以帮助世上数百万的人 找到新的生活方式。
recyclable:adj.可回收利用的;可再循环的; giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的
AF: Yeah, exactly. 安德烈: 正是如此。
So all you do is, you've got fossil fuel plastics at this value and recycled plastic at this value. 也就是说,比如原生塑料在这个价格, 回收塑料在这个价格,
You change it. 我们让它们交换一下,
So recycled plastic is cheaper. 让回收塑料更便宜。
What I love about this most, Chris, is that, you know, we waste into the environment 300, 350 million tons of plastic. 我最喜欢的部分是, 我们向环境中倾倒了3.5亿吨塑料,
On the oil and gas companies own accounts, it's going to grow to 500 million tons. 根据石油和天然气公司的估计, 这个数字将会达到5亿。
This is an accelerating problem. 这个问题在加速。
accelerating:adj.促进的,[物]加速的;催化的;
But every ton of that is polymer. 但是每一吨塑料都是聚合物,
Polymer is 1,000 dollars, 1,500 dollars a ton. 聚合物是1000或1500美元一吨。
That's half a trillion dollars which could go into business and could create jobs and opportunities and wealth right across the world, particularly in the most impoverished . 大约5000万美元会流入回收行业, 可以创造工作和各种机会, 创造国际化的财富, 特别是在贫困地区。
impoverished:adj.穷困的;用尽了的,无创造性的;v.使贫困(impoverish的过去分词);
Yet we throw it away. 但是我们就这么白白扔掉了。
CA: So this would allow the big companies to invest in recycling plants literally all over the world -- 克里斯: 所以这样能让大公司们投资 世界各地的回收工厂——
invest:v.投资;(把资金)投入;投入(时间、精力等);授予; recycling:n.(资源,垃圾的)回收利用;v.回收;再循环利用(recycle的现在分词);
AF: All over the world. 安德烈: 任何地方。
Because the technology is low-capital cost, you can put it in at rubbish dumps , at the bottom of big hotels, garbage depots , everywhere, turn that waste into resin. 因为科技不需要 大量的资金成本, 你可以把它放在垃圾堆里, 酒店地下室, 垃圾场,任何地方, 将垃圾转换为树脂。
dumps:n.废物,垃圾场(dump的复数);忧郁;v.倾倒(dump的单三形式); garbage:n.垃圾;废物; depots:n.[建][经]仓库;堆场(depot的复数形式);
CA: Now, you're a philanthropist , and you're ready to commit some of your own wealth to this. 克里斯: 你是一个慈善家, 而且你也已经 投入了自己的资金。
philanthropist:n.慈善家,博爱主义者;乐善好施的人;
What is the role of philanthropy in this project? 那么慈善在这个项目中的作用是什么?
philanthropy:n.博爱,慈善;慈善事业;
AF: I think what we have to do is kick in the 40 to 50 million US dollars to get it going, and then we have to create absolute transparency so everyone can see exactly what's going on. 安德烈:我认为我们需要 投入4到5千万美元 才能让它运行, 当然我们还需要绝对的透明度, 让每个人都能了解实时状况。
transparency:n.透明,透明度;幻灯片;有图案的玻璃;
From the resin producers to the brands to the consumers , everyone gets to see who is playing the game, who is protecting the Earth, and who doesn't care. 从树脂生产商到品牌消费者, 每个人都可以看到 谁在掌管大权, 谁在保护地球, 谁又满不在乎。
consumers:n.消费者;顾客;用户;(consumer的复数)
And that'll cost about a million dollars a week, and we're going to underwrite that for five years. 这个的花费大概是 每周100万美元, 我们会提供大约5年的资金。
underwrite:vt.给...保险;承诺支付;签在...下;vi.经营保险业;
Total contribution is circa 300 million US dollars. 总共的支出大约是三亿。
circa:prep.大约于;adv.大约;
CA: Wow. 克里斯: 哇。
Now -- 现在——
(Applause) (鼓掌)
You've talked to other companies, like to the Coca-Colas of this world, who are willing to do this, they're willing to pay a higher price, they would like to pay a higher price, so long as it's fair. 你也讲了别的公司, 像是可口可乐, 是愿意这么做的, 他们愿意为保护环境 而付高价, 非常公平。
so long as:adv.只要;
AF: Yeah, it's fair. 安德烈: 是的,非常公平。
So, Coca-Cola wouldn't like Pepsi to play ball unless the whole world knew that Pepsi wasn't playing ball. 除非全世界都知道 百事可乐没有参与合作, 否则可口可乐不会 想要百事可乐参与进来,
Coca-Cola:n.可口可乐(美国饮料公司); play ball:开始活动;开始赛球;
Then they don't care. 那么他们也就不在乎。
So it's that transparency of the market where, if people try and cheat the system, the market can see it, the consumers can see it. 所以,这就是市场的透明性, 如果有人试图作弊, 那么整个市场都会看到, 所有消费者也会看到。
The consumers want a role to play in this. 消费者也想发挥作用。
Seven and a half billion of us. 我们有75亿人。
We don't want our world smashed by a hundred companies. 我们不想整个世界 毁在几百个公司中。
CA: Well, so tell us, you've said what the companies can do and what you're willing to do. 克里斯: 你提到了公司能做些什么, 我们的观众可以做些什么呢?
What can people listening do?
AF: OK, so I would like all of us, all around the world, to go a website called noplasticwaste.org. 安德烈: 我想请各位, 还有世界上所有的人, 登陆一个叫做 noplasticwaste.org 的网站。
You contact your hundred resin producers which are in your region . 你可以找到你所在地区 的一百个树脂生产商。
contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系; region:n.地区;范围;部位;
You will have at least one within an email or Twitter or a telephone contact from you, and let them know that you would like them to make a contribution to a fund which industry can manage or the World Bank can manage. 你会至少联系上其中一家, 给他们发邮件, 发推特,或是打电话, 告诉他们,你希望他们为 由某个行业或世界银行 所管理的基金捐款。
World Bank:n.世界银行(向处于困境需要资助的成员国贷款的国际机构);
It raises tens of billions of dollars per year so you can transition the industry to getting all its plastic from plastic, not from fossil fuel. 如果每年收集到几百亿的捐款, 你就可以让这个产业转型, 用塑料来再生塑料, 而不再使用化石燃料,
We don't need that. That's bad. This is good. 前者对环境更友好。
And it can clean up the environment. 剩余的资金还可以用来治理环境。
We've got enough capital there, we've got tens of billions of dollars, Chris, per annum to clean up the environment. 我们有足够的资金, 每年有几百亿美元 用来净化环境。
per annum:adv.每年;
CA: You're in the recycling business. 克里斯: 你已经在回收行业了。
Isn't this a conflict of interest for you, or rather, a huge business opportunity for you? 这难道不会损失你的利益吗, 或者,这对你来说反而 是一个巨大的商机?
conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
AF: Yeah, look, I'm in the iron ore business, and I compete against the scrap metal business, and that's why you don't have any scrap lying around to trip over, and cut your toe on, because it gets collected. 安德烈: 是的,我在铁矿行业, 我与废铁公司竞争, 这就是为什么你不会在走路的时候 绊倒在一堆废铁上, 划破脚趾, 因为它们被回收了。
compete:v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛(或竞赛); toe:n.脚趾;鞋头;v.用脚趾踩;用脚尖踢;
CA: This isn't your excuse to go into the plastic recycling business. 克里斯:这不是你 进入塑料回收行业的借口,
AF: No, I am going to cheer for this boom . 安德烈: 不是的,我还要大力提倡。
I am going to:我将要做什么事情 boom:n.繁荣;吊杆;v.激增;繁荣昌盛;轰鸣;轰响;adj.(美)猛涨起来的;
This will be the internet of plastic waste. 这会成为塑料垃圾行业中的互联网。
This will be a boom industry which will spread all over the world, and particularly where poverty is worst because that's where the rubbish is most, and that's the resource. 这会是横跨世界的成熟产业, 特别是严重贫困的地区, 因为那是垃圾最多的地方, 同时也是资源所在地。
poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
So I'm going to cheer for it and stand back. 所以我要大力提倡,并且全力支持。
CA: Twiggy, we're in an era where so many people around the world are craving a new, regenerative economy, these big supply chains, these big industries, to fundamentally transform . 克里斯: Twiggy,在我们所处的年代, 很多人在世界各地 发展新的,再生的经济, 让这些巨大的供应链, 这些巨大的产业 发生根本性的转变。
craving:n.渴望;热望;v.渴望;恳求;(crave的现在分词); regenerative:adj.再生的,更生的;更新的; fundamentally:adv.从根本上;基础地;重要地 transform:v.使改变;使改观;使转换;n.[数]变换式;[化]反式;
It strikes me as a giant idea, and you're going to need a lot of people cheering you on your way to make it happen. 这个了不起的想法震撼到我了, 在这个过程中, 我们也需要得到很多人的支持, 才能继续前进。
Thank you for sharing this with us. 感谢您与我们分享这些。
AF: Thank you very much. Thank you, Chris. 安德烈: 非常感谢,克里斯。
(Applause) (鼓掌)