返回首页

AndreasRaptopoulos_2013G-_没有_无人驾驶飞行器来帮你!_

One billion people in the world today do not have access to all-season roads. 现今世界上有10 亿人 不能享受全年畅通的道路。
One billion people. 10 亿人。
One seventh of the Earth's population are totally cut off for some part of the year. 地球人口的七分之一 在一年中的某些时候与外界完全隔绝。
We cannot get medicine to them reliably , they cannot get critical supplies, and they cannot get their goods to market in order to create a sustainable income. 我们没办法以可靠的途径给他们提供药材, 他们没办法收取关键物资的供应, 他们也不能把自己的产品货物运到市场上去, 来创造可持续性的收入。
reliably:adv.可靠地;确实地; critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的;
In sub-Saharan Africa, for instance , 85 percent of roads are unusable in the wet season. 以撒哈拉以南的非洲地区为例, 85%的道路在潮湿的季节无法通用。
sub-Saharan:撒哈拉以南地区; instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例; unusable:adj.不能用的;与众不同的;
Investments are being made, but at the current level, it's estimated it's going to take them 50 years to catch up. 虽然在这方面有得到投资, 但按照目前的进展程度,, 据估计他们得需要花 50年才能赶上标准。
Investments:n.[经]投资,投资的财产;投资学;(investment的复数) estimated:adj.估计的;预计的;估算的;
In the U.S. alone, there's more than four million miles of roads, very expensive to build, very expensive to maintain infrastructure , with a huge ecological footprint , and yet, very often, congested . 仅在美国,就有超过400万 英里的公路,建设成本极高, 基础设施维修保养费用极其昂贵, 并留下巨大的生态足迹, 但同时,经常非常堵塞。
maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见); infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造; ecological:adj.生态的,生态学的; footprint:n.足迹;脚印; congested:adj.堵塞的,拥挤的;v.挤满;超负荷(congest的过去分词);
So we saw this and we thought, can there be a better way? 看到这样的状况我们就想, 难道就没有更好的办法么?
Can we create a system using today's most advanced technologies that can allow this part of the world to leapfrog in the same way they've done with mobile telephones in the last 10 years? 我们能不能创建一个系统,使用当今最先进的技术, 使这些地区获得飞跃式的发展, 就好像在过去10年里, 手机给他们带来的巨大变化一样? 就好像在过去10年里, 手机给他们带来的巨大变化一样?
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); leapfrog:n.跳背游戏;跳蛙游戏;交互跃进;vi.跳背;跳蛙;交替前进;vt.跃过; mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的;
Many of those nations have excellent telecommunications today without ever putting copper lines in the ground. 这其中的许多国家当今有着优越的无线电通讯技术, 却从没在地下埋过半根铜线。
telecommunications:n.电信;电讯; copper:n.铜;铜币;警察;adj.铜(制)的;(紫)铜色的;v.用铜板[铜皮]盖[包];
Could we do the same for transportation ? 在交通方面,我们也能做到这类的发展吗?
transportation:n.运输;运输系统;运输工具;流放;
Imagine this scenario . 想象一下这样的情境。
scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本;
Imagine you are in a maternity ward in Mali, and have a newborn in need of urgent medication . 想象你在马里的一个产房区里, 有新生儿紧切的需要药物。
maternity:n.母性,母道;[妇产]妇产科医院;adj.产科的;产妇的,孕妇的; ward:n.病房; v.防止; newborn:adj.新生的;再生的;n.婴儿; urgent:adj.紧急的;急迫的; medication:n.药;药物;
What would you do today? 你会怎么做?
Well, you would place a request via mobile phone , and someone would get the request immediately. 你会通过手机进行求助, 并且很快会有人对你的求助做出回应,
via:prep.通过;经由;n.道路;[医]管道; mobile phone:移动电话
That's the part that works. 到目前为止的这部分都没问题。
The medication may take days to arrive, though, because of bad roads. 不过,药物可能要好多天之后才能到达, 因为道路太差。
That's the part that's broken. 这一部分就是有问题的部分。
We believe we can deliver it within hours with an electric autonomous flying vehicle such as this. 我们认为我们现在有能力把东西在短时间内送到, 依赖电动无人飞行器, 就是像这样的飞行器。
electric:n.供电;adj.电的;用电的;电动的;发电的; autonomous:adj.自治的;自主的;自发的; vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物;
This can transport a small payload today, about two kilograms, over a short distance, about 10 kilometers, but it's part of a wider network that may cover the entire country, maybe even the entire continent . 它们可以载重两公斤左右的物资, 飞行约10公里的距离, 不过这只是一个大网络的一个小部分, 一个大网络可以覆盖整个国家、 甚至整个非洲大陆的范围。
payload:n.(导弹,火箭等的)有效载荷,有效负荷; (工厂,企业等)工资负担; continent:n.大陆,洲,陆地;adj.自制的,克制的;
It's an ultra-flexible, automated logistics network. 这是一个超灵活的、自动化的物流网络。
automated:adj.自动化的;v.(使)自动化;(automate的过去式和过去分词) logistics:n.[军]后勤;后勤学;物流;
It's a network for a transportation of matter. 它是一个物质运输的网络。
We call it Matternet. 我们称之为物质网(Matternet)。
We use three key technologies. 我们使用三个关键性的技术。
The first is electric autonomous flying vehicles . 第一个是电动自主飞行器。
vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数)
The second is automated ground stations that the vehicles fly in and out of to swap batteries and fly farther, or pick up or deliver loads. 第二个是飞行器起飞和降落的自动化地面站, 第二个是飞行器起飞和降落的自动化地面站, 在那里它们可以更换电池以飞得更远, 或收发货物。
swap:n.交换;交换之物;vt.与...交换;以...作交换;vi.交换;交易; batteries:n.电池;炮组;炮列;[法]殴打;(batteries是battery的复数)
And the third is the operating system that manages the whole network. 第三个是用来管理整个网络操作系统。 第三个是用来管理整个网络的操作系统。
operating system:n.(计算机)操作系统;
Let's look at each one of those technologies in a bit more detail. 让我们来具体的看一下这三项技术。
First of all , the UAVs. 第一,电动自主飞行器(UAV)。
First of all:adv.首先;
Eventually , we're going to be using all sorts of vehicles for different payload capacities and different ranges. 我们最终会需要使用各种不同的飞行器, 来满足不同载重和距离的需要,
Eventually:adv.最后,终于; capacities:n.能力;容量;性能;生产量(capacity的复数);
Today, we're using small quads . 今天,我们使用小体积的四轴飞行器。
quads:abbr.股四头肌(quadriceps); n.[印刷]空铅; v.用空铅填(等于quadrat,quad的第三人称单数形式);
These are able to transport two kilograms over 10 kilometers in just about 15 minutes. 它们可以在大约15分钟内飞行10公里, 运输两公斤的物资。 它们可以在大约15分钟内飞行10公里, 运输两公斤的物资。
Compare this with trying to trespass a bad road in the developing world, or even being stuck in traffic in a developed world country. 和下面的情况来比较, 譬如试图穿越糟糕的道路, 在那些发展中的国家, 或是被卡在交通严重堵塞的 发达国家。
Compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; trespass:vi.侵入;犯罪;打扰;冒犯;n.罪过;非法侵入;过失;擅自进入;
These fly autonomously . 这些器械可以自主飞行。
autonomously:adv.自治地;独立自主地;
This is the key to the technology . 这是该技术的关键。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
So they use GPS and other sensors on board to navigate between ground stations. 他们使用GPS和其他的传感器 在地面站之间进行导航。
sensors:n.[自]传感器,感应器;感测器(sensor的复数); navigate:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空;
Every vehicle is equipped with an automatic payload and battery exchange mechanism , so these vehicles navigate to those ground stations, they dock , swap a battery automatically , and go out again. 每架飞行器都配备了自动的 有效载荷和电池交换机能, 因此这些飞行器可以自主导航到这些地面站, 停靠、 自动换电池, 并再次飞出去。
battery:n.[电]电池,蓄电池;n.[法]殴打;n.[军]炮台,炮位; exchange:n.交换;交流;交易所;兑换;v.交换;交易;兑换; mechanism:n.机制;原理,途径;进程;机械装置;技巧; dock:n.码头;船坞;被告席;尾巴的骨肉部分;vt.使靠码头;剪短;vi.入船坞; automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的;
The ground stations are located on safe locations on the ground. 地面站位于地面上安全的地点。 地面站位于地面上安全的地点。
located:adj.位于; v.确定…的准确地点; (locate的过去分词和过去式) locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数)
They secure the most vulnerable part of the mission , which is the landing. 它们保障这些飞行任务中最易出错的部分, 即着陆的成功。
vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的; mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
They are at known locations on the ground, so the paths between them are also known, which is very important from a reliability perspective from the whole network. 它们位于地面上众所周知的地点, 所以它们相互之间的道路也是清晰的, 这对于整个网络的可靠性来讲非常重要。 这对于整个网络的可靠性来讲非常重要。
reliability:n.可靠性; perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
Apart from fulfilling the energy requirements of the vehicles, eventually they're going to be becoming commercial hubs where people can take out loads or put loads into the network. 地面站除了满足飞行器对能源的需求, 最终它们会成为一个商业枢纽, 让人们也可以在那里收发货物。 让人们也可以在那里收发货物。
fulfilling:adj.让人感觉有意义的; v.实现; (fulfill的现在分词) commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告; hubs:n.枢纽;中心(hub的复数);毂;
The last component is the operating system that manages the whole network. 最后的环节是用于管理整个网络的操作系统。 最后的环节是用于管理整个网络的操作系统。
component:n.成分;部件;组成部分;adj.构成的;
It monitors weather data from all the ground stations and optimizes the routes of the vehicles through the system to avoid adverse weather conditions, avoid other risk factors , and optimize the use of the resources throughout the network. 它监测所有地面站的天气数据, 并通过系统来优化飞行器的飞行路线 以避免恶劣的天气条件和其他的风险因素, 以避免恶劣的天气条件和其他的风险因素, 以及优化整个网络的资源配置和使用。 以及优化整个网络的资源配置和使用。
optimizes:优化; routes:n.路线;途径;路途;渠道;v.按某路线发送;(route的第三人称单数和复数) adverse:adj.不利的;相反的;敌对的(名词adverseness,副词adversely); factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数); throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
I want to show you what one of those flights looks like. 我想给你们看一下这样的飞行是什么样的。 我想给你们看一下这样的飞行是什么样的。
Here we are flying in Haiti last summer, where we've done our first field trials. 这是我们去年夏天在海地, 在那里我们做了第一次的实地试验。
Haiti:n.海地;
We're modeling here a medical delivery in a camp we set up after the 2010 earthquake. 我们模拟了给2010年地震后的难民营 运送医疗物资的情景, 我们模拟了给2010年地震后的难民营 运送医疗物资的情景,
delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送;
People there love this. 当地居民爱极了这个。
And I want to show you what one of those vehicles looks like up close. 我还想给大家近距离地 看一下这些飞行器的样子。
So this is a $3,000 vehicle. 这是一架花费3000美金的飞行器。
Costs are coming down very rapidly. 它们的成本在迅速地下降。
We use this in all sorts of weather conditions, very hot and very cold climates, very strong winds. They're very sturdy vehicles. 我们可以在各种天气条件下使用它, 很热和很冷的气候, 有强风的时候。它们是非常结实的飞行器。
sturdy:adj.坚定的;强健的;健全的;n.羊晕倒病;
Imagine if your life depended on this package, somewhere in Africa or in New York City, after Sandy. 想象一下如果你的生命取决于它们运载的包裹, 不管是在非洲的某个角落, 还是在飓风桑迪袭击后的纽约。
The next big question is, what's the cost? 下一个重要的问题是,费用会是多少?
Well, it turns out that the cost to transport two kilograms over 10 kilometers with this vehicle is just 24 cents. 事实上,用飞行器运输 两公斤物资飞行10公里的成本 仅要24美分。
(Applause) (掌声)
And it's counterintuitive , but the cost of energy expended for the flight is only two cents of a dollar today, and we're just at the beginning of this. 听上去很不可思议, 但其实这样一次飞行所花费的能源的费用 听上去很不可思议, 但其实这样一次飞行所花费的能源的费用 在今天只需要两美分, 而我们现在只是在这个技术的开始。
counterintuitive:adj.违反直觉的; expended:adj.花费的;支出的;开支的;v.花费;耗尽(expend的过去分词); at the beginning of:在…的开始;
When we saw this, we felt that this is something that can have significant impact in the world. 当我们了解到这一点的时候,我们觉得 这是技能可以对世界给予重大的影响。
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
So we said, okay, how much does it cost to set up a network somewhere in the world? 所以我们想, 要在某个地方建设这样一个网络到底需要多大的花费? 所以我们想, 要在某个地方建设这样一个网络到底需要多大的花费?
And we looked at setting up a network in Lesotho for transportation of HIV/AIDS samples. 于是我们研究了一下试着在莱索托 建设一个运输艾滋病毒样本的网络。 于是我们研究了一下试着在莱索托 建设一个运输艾滋病毒样本的网络。
The problem there is how do you take them from clinics where they're being collected to hospitals where they're being analyzed ? 在那个情况下的问题是,如何将样本 从被收集的诊所处, 送到做分析步骤的医院?
clinics:n.诊所(clinic的复数形式); analyzed:v.分析(analyze的过去式和过去分词);检讨;
And we said, what if we wanted to cover an area spanning around 140 square kilometers? 我们就想,如果说我们想要覆盖约140平方公里的区域如何? 我们就想,如果说我们想要覆盖约140平方公里的区域如何?
what if:如果…怎么办? spanning:v.持续;贯穿;包括(广大地区);涵盖(多项内容);(span的现在分词)
That's roughly one and a half times the size of Manhattan. 那大约是纽约曼哈顿区域的1.5倍。
roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地;
Well it turns out that the cost to do that there would be less than a million dollars. 结果我们发现这只需要花费不到100万美金。 结果我们发现这只需要花费不到100万美金。
Compare this to normal infrastructure investments. 拿这个跟做一般的基础设施投资来比较。
We think this can be -- this is the power of a new paradigm . 我们认为这可以成为 - 这就是一个新的模式所带来的力量。 我们认为这可以成为 - 这就是一个新的模式所带来的力量。
paradigm:n.范例;词形变化表;
So here we are: a new idea about a network for transportation that is based on the ideas of the Internet. 这正是我们想要的:一个新的概念, 一个使用互联网来建立交通运输网络的新点子。 一个使用互联网来建立交通运输网络的新点子。
It's decentralized , it's peer-to-peer , it's bidirectional , highly adaptable , with very low infrastructure investment, very low ecological footprint. 它很分散,很平等, 它是双向的,适应能力强, 对基础设施投资的需求很低, 留下的生态足迹也很小。
decentralized:adj.分散的; vt.使分散; peer-to-peer:n.对等;对等网络; bidirectional:adj.双向的;n.双指向性; highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; adaptable:adj.适合的;能适应的;可修改的;
If it is a new paradigm, though, there must be other uses for it. 如果这是一个新的模式的话, 那它必然还有其他的用途。
It can be used perhaps in other places in the world. 也许它可以在世界的其他地方被使用。
So let's look at the other end of the spectrum : our cities and megacities . 所以让我们看一下社会群体的另一端: 我们的城市和超大城市。
spectrum:n.光谱;频谱;范围;余象; megacities:n.大城市(megacity的复数);
Half of the Earth's population lives in cities today. 今天地球上有一半的人口生活在城市里,
Half a billion of us live in megacities. 五亿人口生活在超大城市里。
We are living through an amazing urbanization trend . 我们在经历着一个惊人的城市化的潮流。
urbanization:n.都市化;文雅化; trend:n.趋势;动向;趋向;动态;v.走向;趋向;
China alone is adding a megacity the size of New York City every two years. 光在中国,每两年就增多一个和纽约一样大的超大城市。 光在中国,每两年就增多一个和纽约一样大的超大城市。
megacity:n.大城市(人口超过1000万的);
These are places that do have road infrastructure, but it's very inefficient . 这些地方是有道路基础设施的, 但它们效率很低。
inefficient:adj.无效率的,效率低的;无能的;
Congestion is a huge problem. 交通堵塞是一个巨大的问题。
Congestion:n.拥挤;拥塞;充血;
So we think it makes sense in those places to set up a network of transportation that is a new layer that sits between the road and the Internet, initially for lightweight , urgent stuff , and over time, we would hope to develop this into a new mode of transportation that is truly a modern solution to a very old problem. 所以我们想我们可以在这样的地方 建设一个交通网络, 座落于路面和互联网之间的一个新的层次, 座落于路面和互联网之间的一个新的层次, 在初期用来运输轻小,紧急的东西, 之后将它逐渐发展成一种新方式的交通工具, 之后将它逐渐发展成一种新方式的交通工具, 给一个老旧的问题提供一个完全现代化的解决方法。
layer:n.层,层次; vt.把…分层堆放; vi.形成或分成层次; initially:adv.最初,首先;开头; lightweight:n.轻量级选手;无足轻重的人;adj.重量轻的;平均重量以下的; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
It's ultimately scalable with a very small ecological footprint, operating in the background 24/7, just like the Internet. 这解决方法可以无限制的延伸, 生态足迹非常小, 日夜不停止的工作, 就像互联网一样。
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究; scalable:adj.可攀登的;可去鳞的;可称量的;
So when we started this a couple of years ago now, we've had a lot of people come up to us who said, "This is a very interesting but crazy idea, and certainly not something that you should engage with anytime soon." 我们几年前的时候了,开始的这个项目, 我们几年前的时候了,开始的这个项目, 有很多人来跟我们说: 这真是一个非常有趣,但是疯狂的想法, 短时间内绝对不应该开始做。” 短时间内绝对不应该开始做。”
come up to:v.达到;等于; engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定;
And of course, we're talking about drones , right, a technology that's not only unpopular in the West but one that has become a very, very unpleasant fact of life for many living in poor countries, especially those engaged in conflict . 当然,我们是在讨论无人驾驶飞行器, 它不但在西方不受欢迎, 对很多生活在贫穷国家的人, 尤其是经历过军事冲突的国家的人来讲, 无人驾驶飞行器也不是什么好玩的东西。
drones:v.嗡嗡叫;嗡嗡响;(drone的第三人称单数) unpopular:adj.不流行的,不受欢迎的; unpleasant:adj.令人不快的;不舒服的;不客气的 especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; engaged in:从事于;忙于; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
So why are we doing this? 那我们为什么还要这样做?
Well, we chose to do this one not because it's easy, but because it can have amazing impact. 我们之所以选择这样做 不是因为它容易, 而是因为它可以改变世界的能力。
Imagine one billion people being connected to physical goods in the same way that mobile telecommunications connected them to information. 想象一下10亿人,物质上的 和各种东西连接在一起, 就像手机将他们跟信息连接在一起一样。 就像手机将他们跟信息连接在一起一样。 就像手机将他们跟信息连接在一起一样。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
Imagine if the next big network we built in the world was a network for the transportation of matter. 想象一下如果我们在这个世界上建设的下一个网络 是一个物质的运输网络。
In the developing world, we would hope to reach millions of people with better vaccines , reach them with better medication. 在发展中国家,我们可以 将更好的疫苗送到数百万人的手里, 在发展中国家,我们可以 将更好的疫苗送到数百万人的手里, 提供他们更好的药物。
vaccines:n.[药][计]疫苗;
It would give us an unfair advantage against battling 它给我们提供了一个强大的 战胜艾滋病、 结核病和其他流行病的优势。
advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点:
HIV/AIDS, tuberculosis and other epidemics . 它给我们提供了一个强大的 战胜艾滋病、 结核病和其他流行病的优势。
tuberculosis:n.肺结核;结核病; epidemics:n.流行病;蔓延(epidemic的复数);时疫;
Over time, we would hope it would become a new platform for economic transactions , lifting millions of people out of poverty . 随着时间的推移,我们希望它会成为 一个新的经济交易平台, 帮助数百万人脱离贫困。
platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; transactions:n.处理,[图情]会报;汇报(transaction复数); poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
In the developed world and the emerging world, we would hope it would become a new mode of transportation that could help make our cities more livable . 在发达国家和新兴世界, 我们希望它会成为一种新的交通工具, 让我们的城市居住起来更舒适。 让我们的城市居住起来更舒适。
emerging:adj.新兴的;v.出现,浮现,露出;暴露;(emerge的现在分词) livable:adj.适于居住的;生活过得有价值的;
So for those that still believe that this is science fiction , 对于那些仍然觉得这是科幻小说的人,
science fiction:科幻小说;
I firmly say to you that it is not. 我可以明确的告诉你,它不是。
We do need to engage, though, in social fiction to make it happen. 当然,我们仍然需要努力, 让它在”现实小说“中发生。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)