返回首页

AmitSood_2016-_通过搜索贴近每一个艺术品_

The world is filled with incredible objects and rich cultural heritage . 这个世界充满了不可思议的事物 和丰富的文化遗产
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; heritage:n.遗产;传统;继承物;继承权;
And when we get access to them, we are blown away , we fall in love . 当我们开始了解它们 我们被它们所震撼,爱上它们
blown away:轻轻吹走(歌曲名);零点爆破(电影名); fall in love:v.坠入情网;坠入爱河;相爱;爱上;
But most of the time, the world's population is living without real access to arts and culture. 但是大多数时候 世上的人没有很多机会真正接触艺术和文化
What might the connections be when we start exploring our heritage, the beautiful locations and the art in this world? 当我们开始探索我们的遗产 欣赏世界上美丽的地区和艺术时什么可以成为联系呢?
exploring:v.探索:考察:探查;(explore的现在分词) locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数)
Before we get started in this presentation , 在我开始演讲之前
presentation:n.展示;描述,陈述;介绍;赠送;
I just want to take care of a few housekeeping points. 我想先做一些常规说明
housekeeping:n.家政;家务管理;家用开支;
First, I am no expert in art or culture. 首先,我不是文化或艺术的专家
I fell into this by mistake , but I'm loving it. 我偶然开始了这份工作但是我深爱着它
by mistake:错误地;由于差错;
Secondly, all of what I'm going to show you belongs to the amazing museums, archives and foundations that we partner with. 其次,所有我展示的内容 属于与我们合作的各个伟大的博物馆 档案室和基金会
archives:n.档案;档案馆;v.把…存档;(archive的第三人称单数和复数) foundations:n.基础;地基;基金会;粉底;(foundations是foundation的复数)
None of this belongs to Google . 这些都不属于谷歌
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
And finally , what you see behind me is available right now on your mobile phones, on your laptops . 最后,你们看到的我背后的屏幕上 现在在各位的手机和电脑上 也可以看到
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的; laptops:n.便携式电脑;笔记本电脑;(laptop的复数)
This is our current platform , where you can explore thousands of museums and objects at your fingertips , in extremely high-definition detail. 这是我们现在的平台通过这个平台 上千个博物馆里的展品供您选择动动手指 所有细节一览无余
platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处; explore:v.探索:探测:探险: fingertips:n.指尖;(fingertip的复数) extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; high-definition:高清晰度;
The diversity of the content is what's amazing. 内容的多样性是令人赞叹的
diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化: content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足;
If we just had European paintings, if we just had modern art, 如果我们只有欧洲画作 或者只有现代艺术
I think it gets a bit boring . 我觉得那就有点无聊了
boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词)
For example, this month, we launched the "Black History" channel with 82 curated exhibitions, which talk about arts and culture in that community . 比如这个月我们开启了“黑人历史”频道 策划了82个展览 都是相关内容的文化和艺术
launched:v.发射;发起;开展;开始;(launch的过去式和过去分词) curated:v.当馆长(curate的过去分词); community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
We also have some amazing objects from Japan, centered around craftsmanship , called "Made in Japan." 我们还有一些来自日本的精美展品 以工匠精神为核心这个系列叫做“日本制造”
craftsmanship:n.技术;技艺;
And one of my favorite exhibitions, which actually is the idea of my talk, is -- I didn't expect to become a fan of Japanese dolls. 我最喜欢的展览之一 也是我演讲的主要思想 是-我并不指望成为一个日本玩偶的爱好者
But I am, thanks to this exhibition, that has really taught me about the craftsmanship behind the soul of a Japanese doll. 但我是的,因为这些展览 我真正懂得了这些日本玩偶背后的 工匠精神的含义
Trust me, it's very exciting. 相信我,非常令人兴奋
Take my word for it. 我敢保证
So, moving on swiftly . 让我们继续谈
swiftly:adv.很快地;敏捷地;即刻;
One quick thing I wanted to showcase in this platform, which you can share with your kids and your friends right now, is you can travel to all these amazing institutions virtually , as well. 在这个平台上我想要快速演示的 而且此时此刻你可以和孩子们或朋友们分享的 是你可以真正地穿梭于这些精美的展品之中
showcase:n.展示的场合;玻璃柜台;v.使展现;在玻璃橱窗陈列; institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数) virtually:adv.事实上,几乎;实质上;
One of our recent ideas was with The Guggenheim Museum in New York, where you can get a taste of what it might feel like to actually be there. 我们最近的一个想法之一是和纽约的古根海姆博物馆合作 在那里你可以有一种 身临其境的感觉
You can go to the ground floor and obviously, most of you, I assume , have been there. 你可以走进它们的大厅 而且显然, 我想你们中的大部分之前去过那里
ground floor:n.底层; assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现;
And you can see the architectural masterpiece that it is. 你可以亲眼目睹这个建筑巨作
architectural:adj.建筑学的;建筑上的;符合建筑法的; masterpiece:n.杰作;名著;代表作
But imagine this accessibility for a kid in Bombay who's studying architecture , who hasn't had a chance to go to The Guggenheim as yet . 但是想想一个在孟买 学习建筑的孩子 没有去古根海姆博物馆的机会
accessibility:n.易接近;可亲;可以得到; architecture:n.建筑学;建筑风格;建筑式样;架构; as yet:至今仍;
You can obviously look at objects in the Guggenheim Museum, you can obviously get into them and so on and so forth. 你可以仔细浏览古根海姆博物馆的所有展品 你可以进去一个一个地看等等
There's a lot of information here. 这里包罗万象
But this is not the purpose of my talk today. 但是这不是我今天演讲的目的
This exists right now. 这是已经存在的
What we now have are the building blocks to a very exciting future, when it comes to arts and culture and accessibility to arts and culture. 我们正在构建一些其他的板块让平台拥有精彩的未来 让文化艺术更好地 被接受和被研究
building blocks:(儿童玩的)积木;建筑砌块;堆积木;建筑砖块;基石;
So I am joined today onstage by my good friend and artist in residence at our office in Paris, Cyril Diagne, who is the professor of interactive design at ECAL University in Lausanne, Switzerland. 所以今天我和巴黎驻地艺术家我的好朋友 西里尔·迪亚涅同台为您展示 西里尔·迪亚涅是瑞士洛桑 ECAL大学交互设计系的教授
onstage:adj.台上的;台上演出的;adv.上台;上场; residence:n.住宅,住处;居住; interactive:adj.合作的;相互影响的;互相配合的;交互式的;n.交互式视频设备;
What Cyril and our team of engineers have been doing is trying to find these connections and visualize a few of these. 西里尔和我们的团队的工程师一直致力于 寻找一些相互关联然后把它们做出来
visualize:vt.形象,形象化;想像,设想;vi.显现;
So I'm going to go quite quick now. 我现在会讲的快一点
This object you see behind me -- oh, just clarification : 大家可以看到我背后的展品对了,我澄清一下:
clarification:n.澄清,说明;净化;
Always, seeing the real thing is better. 亲自去看真品总是更好
In case people think I'm trying to replicate the real thing. 以防大家觉得我在试图复制真迹
replicate:vt.复制; vi.重复; adj.复制的; n.复制品;
So, moving on. 我们继续
This object you see behind me is the Venus of Berekhat Ram . 这个展品是色列贝列卡特拉姆的维纳斯
Venus:n.[天]金星;维纳斯(爱与美的女神); Ram:v.相撞;挤进;n.公羊;
It's one of the oldest objects in the world, found in the Golan Heights around 233,000 years ago, and currently residing at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem . 这是世界上最古老的艺术品之一 发现于23万年前的戈兰高地 现在保存在耶路撒冷的以色列博物馆中
currently:adv.当前;一般地; residing:属于; Israel:n.以色列(亚洲国家);犹太人,以色列人; Jerusalem:n.耶路撒冷(以色列首都);
It is also one of the oldest objects on our platform. 这也是我们平台最古老的文物之一
So let's zoom. 让我们放大来看
We start from this one object. 我们从这个展品开始
What if we zoomed out and actually tried to experience our own cultural big bang ? 如果我们把它缩放成一点 试着去体验文化的大爆炸我们会有什么感受呢?
What if:如果…怎么办? bang:n.猛敲; v.猛敲; v.正好;
What might that look like? 会是什么样的体验呢?
This is what we deal with on a daily basis at the Cultural Institute -- over six million cultural artifacts curated and given to us by institutions, to actually make these connections. 这就是我们每天在文化中心所做的事情 我们让超过六百万来自世界各地的文化艺术品 彼此产生联系
Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院; artifacts:n.史前古器物;人工产品;
You can travel through time, you can understand more about our society through these. 你可以穿梭时空 你可以通过这些更好地了解我们社会
You can look at it from the perspective of our planet, and try to see how it might look without borders, if we just organized art and culture. 你可以从地球的角度看待展品 尝试去在没有界限的限制下感受文化和艺术 如果我们仅仅是把艺术和文化组织起来
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式)
We can also then plot it by time, which obviously, for the data geek in me, is very fascinating . 我们也可以依照时间来探索 显然作为一个数据专家我对此非常着迷
plot:n.情节;阴谋;布局;小块土地;v.密谋;暗中策划;(在地图上)标出;绘制(图表); geek:n.做低级滑稽表演的人,反常的人; n.(俚)极客,即智力超群,善于钻研但不懂与人交往的怪才; fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词)
You can spend hours looking at every decade and the contributions in that decade and in those years for art, history and cultures. 你可以花数小时浏览不同时代的 每一个十年之间艺术,历史和文化 所做出的贡献
contributions:n.捐款;捐资;定期缴款;贡献;促成作用;(contribution的复数)
We would love to spend hours showing you each and every decade, but we don't have the time right now. 我们很想用几个小时为各位展示每一个十年 不过此时此刻我们没有时间
So you can go on your phone and actually do it yourself. 各位可以在手机上自行查看
(Applause) (观众掌声)
But if you don't mind and can hold your applause till later, 但是如果你们不介意的话,请把掌声留到最后
applause:n.欢呼,喝采;鼓掌欢迎;
I don't want to run out of time, because I want to show you a lot of cool stuff . 我不想超过时间 因为我有很多很酷的东西想要展示给你们看
run out of:用完; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
So, just very quickly: you can move on from here to another very interesting idea. 所以,继续快速介绍: 从这里你可以继续另一个很有趣的想法
Beyond the pretty picture, beyond the nice visualization , what is the purpose, how is this useful? 在漂亮的图片 和精美的可视化方案背后 我们想要达到什么目的?怎样让这个平台更有实用性?
visualization:n.形象化;清楚地呈现在心;
This next idea comes from discussions with curators that we've been having at museums, who, by the way , I've fallen in love with, because they dedicate their whole life to try to tell these stories. 下一个想法来源于我们在博物馆时 与博物馆策展人们的对话 顺便说一句,我也很爱他们 因为他们的一生都致力于讲述这些故事
curators:n.馆长;监护人;管理者; by the way:顺便说一下; dedicate:vt.致力;献身;题献;
One of the curators told me, "Amit, what would it be like if you could create a virtual curator's table where all these six million objects are displayed in a way for us to look at the connections between them?" 其中一位博物馆策展人告诉我:“阿米特,如果可以做个策展人的虚拟桌面 让六百万展品可以以一个我们可以 看得见其中的联系 的方式展现给大家那该多好。”
displayed:v.陈列;展出;展示;显露(display的过去分词和过去式)
You can spend a lot of time, trust me, looking at different objects and understanding where they come from. 你可以花上很长时间观赏不同的展品 并了解它们来自于何处
It's a crazy Matrix experience. 就像《黑客帝国》里的经历一样
Matrix:n.[数]矩阵;模型;[生物][地质]基质;母体;子宫;[地质]脉石;
(Laughter) (观众笑声)
Just moving on, let's take the world-famous Vincent Van Gogh, who is very well-represented on this platform. 我们继续 我们使用世界级着名的文森特·梵高为例 他的作品是这个平台上的优秀代表
world-famous:adj.举世闻名的; Vincent:n.模锻摩擦压力机; Van:n.厢式货车;客货车;v.选矿;用车搬运;
Thanks to the diversity of the institutions we have, we have over 211 high-definition, amazing artworks by this artist, now organized in one beautiful view. 感谢与我们合作的不同机构的多样性 我们有超过211幅这位画家的高清晰度的珍贵作品 有组织地排成一幅美丽景观
artworks:艺术品(artwork的名词复数);
And as it resolves , and as Cyril goes deeper, you can see all the self-portraits , you can see still life . 随着西里尔深入放大 你可以看到所有的自画像 可以看到静物写生
resolves:vt.决定; vi.解决; n.坚决; self-portraits:n.自画像; still life:静物;静物画;
But I just wanted to highlight one very quick example, which is very timely : "The Bedroom." 但是我想快速地举一个例子 在这里说很合适: 《卧室》
highlight:vt.突出;强调;使显著;加亮;n.最精彩的部分;最重要的事情;加亮区; timely:adj.及时的;适时的;adv.及时地;早;
This is an artwork where three copies exist -- one at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam , one at the Orsay in Paris and one at the Art Institute of Chicago, which, actually, currently is hosting a reunion of all three artworks physically, 这幅作品有三幅副本- 一幅在阿姆斯特丹的梵高博物馆 一幅在巴黎的奥赛美术馆 还有一幅在芝加哥的艺术中心 实际幅芝加哥艺术中心现在把三副作品 重新放在一起展览
Amsterdam:n.阿姆斯特丹(荷兰首都);阿姆斯特丹(美国纽约东部城市); hosting:v.主办,主持;主持;做东;(host的现在分词) reunion:n.团聚;聚会;团圆;重逢;
I think only for the second time ever. 这是有史以来的第二次
But, it is united digitally and virtually for anybody to look at in a very different way, and you won't get pushed in the line in the crowd. 实际上在这里它们已经数字化虚拟化地重聚 任何人都可以用这种不同寻常的方式观看 而且你不用担心排队观看时的拥挤
united:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) digitally:adv.数位;
So let's take you and let's travel through "The Bedroom" very quickly, so you can experience what we are doing for every single object. 所以让我们一起快速浏览《卧室》这幅作品 你们可以感受我们在每一幅作品上所做的努力
We want the image to speak as much as it can on a digital platform. 我们希望这幅图片可以在一个数字平台上 最大化地讲述它的故事
And all you need is an internet connection and a computer 你需要的只是网络连接和一个电脑
(Applause) (观众掌声)
And, Cyril, if you can go deeper, quickly. 西里尔请你再深入一点,快一点
I'm sorry, this is all live, so you have to give Cyril a little bit of -- and this is available for every object: modern art, contemporary art, Renaissance -- you name it, even sculpture . 不好意思,这是现场演示 所以,希望各位给西里尔一些时间 每一个展品都可以这样操作: 无论是现代艺术,当代艺术还是文艺复兴艺术品 甚至雕塑也可以
contemporary:n.同时代的人;同时期的东西;adj.当代的;同时代的;属于同一时期的; Renaissance:n.文艺复兴(欧洲14至17世纪); sculpture:n.雕塑;雕刻;刻蚀;vt.雕塑;雕刻;刻蚀;vi.从事雕刻;
Sometimes, you don't know what can attract you to an artwork or to a museum or to a cultural discovery. 有的时候你不知道什么会吸引你去欣赏一幅艺术作品 参观一座博物馆或进行一次文化之旅
So for me, personally , it was quite a challenge because when I decided to make this my full-time job at Google, my mother was not very supportive . 所以,对于我来说这确实是一个挑战 因为当我决定在谷歌全职从事这个工作的时候 我妈妈并不是很支持
personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言; full-time:adj.专职的;全日制的;全部时间的; supportive:adj.支持的;支援的;赞助的;
I love my mother, but she thought I was wasting my life with this museum stuff. 我爱我的妈妈 但是她认为我从事博物馆相关的工作是在浪费生命
And for her, a museum is what you do when you go on vacation and you tick-mark and it's over, right? 对于她来说参观博物馆是放假时做的事 打一下卡就结束了
And it took around four and a half years for me to convince my lovely Indian mother that actually, this is worthwhile . 我用了大概四年半的时间 说服我可爱的印度妈妈 告诉她我所做的是值得的
convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说; worthwhile:adj.值得做的,值得花时间的;
And the way I did it was, I realized one day that she loves gold. 我用的办法是有一天我发现她喜欢黄金
So I started showing her all objects that have the material gold in them. 我开始给她展示所有有黄金作为材料的作品
And the first thing my mom asks me is, "How can we buy these?" 我妈妈问我的第一句话是: “我们怎么买这些东西?”
(Laughter) (观众笑声)
And obviously, my salary is not that high, so I was like, "We can't actually do that, mom. 显然我的工资没有那么高 所以,我说:“妈妈我们买不了
But you can explore them virtually." 但是你可以虚拟地探索它们。”
And so now my mom -- every time I meet her, she asks me, "Any more gold, any more silver in your project? Can you show me?" 所以现在当我每次遇见妈妈她都会问我: “你的项目里还有别的金银做的物品么?能给我看看么?“
silver:n.银; v.给…镀(或包)银; adj.银色的;
And that's the idea I'm trying to illustrate . 这就是我想解释的观点
illustrate:v.解释;加插图于;给(书等)做图表;表明…真实;
It does not matter how you get in, as long as you get in. 你怎么接触这些艺术品并不重要 只要你接触了这些艺术品
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然;
Once you get in, you're hooked . 只要你开始了解你就会被吸引
hooked:adj.弯曲的; v.(使)钩住,挂住; (hook的过去分词和过去式)
Moving on from here very quickly, there is kind of a playful idea, actually, to illustrate the point of access, and I'm going to go quite quickly on this one. 说完这个 其实我想讲一个很好玩的观点 从实用的角度出发 简明地阐述我的观点
playful:adj.开玩笑的;幽默的;爱嬉戏的;
We all know that seeing the artwork in person is amazing. 我们都知道亲自去看这些艺术作品是很棒的
But we also know that most of us can't do it, and the ones that can afford to do it, it's complicated . 但是我们也知道我们中的大部分没有办法去 我们承担不起费用这很复杂
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起; complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
So -- Cyril, can we load up our art trip, what do we call it? 所以-西里尔,我们可不可以加载我们的艺术之旅
We don't have a good name for this. 我们还不知道怎么称呼这个
good name:n.好名声;好声誉;
But essentially , we have around 1,000 amazing institutions, 68 countries. 但是本质上,我们的平台上有来自68个国家的 1000个伟大的机构
essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
But let's start with Rembrandt. 我们从伦勃朗的作品开始
We might have time for only one example. 我们也许只有举一个例子的时间
But thanks to the diversity, we've got around 500 amazing Rembrandt object artworks from 46 institutions and 17 countries. 但是感谢组织的多样性 我们收集了来自17个国家46个组织的 500件左右伟大的伯伦朗艺术品
Let's say that on your next vacation, you want to go see every single one of them. 假如在你的下一个假期 你想观看每一个艺术品
That is your itinerary , you will probably travel 53,000 kilometers, visit around, I think, 46 institutions, and just FYI, you might release 10 tons of CO2 emissions . 这是你的行程安排 你大概要完成53000公里 穿越46个机构的旅程 仅供参考您可能会释放10吨二氧化碳
itinerary:n.旅程,路线;旅行日程;adj.旅程的;巡回的,流动的; release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与; emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数)
(Laughter) (观众笑声)
But remember, it's art, so you can justify it, perhaps, in some way. 但是请记住,这是艺术 所以从某种角度说这样做也说得过去
justify:v.证明合法;整理版面;替…辩护;
Moving on swiftly from here, is something a little bit more technical and more interesting. 继续下一个话题 这个话题更专业也更有趣
technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的;
All that we've shown you so far uses metadata to make the connections. 目前我们展示的是利用元数据产生联系
metadata:n.[计]元数据;
But obviously we have something cool nowadays that everyone likes to talk about, which is machine learning. 但是显然,我们现在有很棒的东西-- 计算机学习能力 所有人都喜欢讨论这个领域
So what we thought is, let's strip out all the metadata, let's look at what machine learning can do based purely on visual recognition of this entire collection. 所以,我们的想法是让我们跳出元数据 看一看仅仅依靠视觉识别这个全部的收集的 计算机学习能力可以做什么
strip:n.带; v.夺; adj.脱衣舞的; purely:adv.完全;仅仅; recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可;
What we ended up with is this very interesting map, these clusters that have no reference point information, but has just used visuals to cluster things together. 我们创造了这个非常有趣的地图 这些集群没有参考点信息 仅仅依靠外观联系在一起
clusters:n.[植]簇;丛(cluster的复数形式);[计]群集; reference point:n.参比点;参照标准; visuals:n.图形部分;外观改装;可视教具(visual的复数);
Each cluster is an art to us by itself of discovery. 每一个集群对我们来说本身就是一次发现
But one of the clusters we want to show you very quickly is this amazing cluster of portraits that we found from museums around the world. 其中我们想展示给大家的 一个集群是全世界博物馆中 精彩的的肖像集群
If you could zoom in a little bit more, Cyril. 西里尔,如果可以放大一点
Just to show you, you can just travel through portraits. 如各位所见你可以在肖像中徜徉
And essentially, you can do nature, you can do horses and clusters galore . 而且你可以寻找与自然相关或与马相关的 这里有大量的集群
galore:adv.丰富地;adj.丰富的;大量的;
When we saw all these portraits, we were like, "Hey, can we do something fun for kids, or can we do something playful to get people interested in portraits?" 我们看着这些肖像 我们在想:“我们可不可以为孩子带来一些快乐? 或者可不可以做一些好玩的东西 让人们对画像更有兴趣?”
Because I haven't really seen young kids really excited to go to a portrait gallery . 因为我没真正见过 去肖像美术馆很兴奋的孩子
gallery:n.画廊;走廊;旁听席;地道;v.在…修建走廊;挖地道;
I wanted to try to figure something out. 我们想创造点什么
So we created something called the portrait matcher . 所以我们开发了肖像比对功能
matcher:n.[计]匹配程序;制榫机;匹配器;
It's quite self-explnatory, so I'm just going to let Cyril show his beautiful face. 这个功能很好理解 我只需要西里尔展示一下他美丽的脸
And essentially what's happening is, with the movement of his head, we are matching different portraits around the world from museums. 随着他头部的运动 世界各地博物馆的画像可以与之匹配
(Applause) (观众掌声)
And I don't know about you, but I've shown it to my nephew and sister, and the reaction is just phenomenal . 我不知道各位感觉如何 当我给我的外甥和妹妹演示的时候 他们开心得不行
reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用; phenomenal:adj.现象的;显著的;异常的;能知觉的;惊人的,非凡的;
All they ask me is, "When can we go see this?" 他们都在问我:“什么时候我们可以玩这个?”
And by the way, if we're nice, maybe, Cyril, you can smile and find a happy one? 顺便提一句如果我们做个好人 西里尔,你可以笑一下找一张开心点的么?
Oh, perfect. 噢,太完美了
By the way, this is not rehearsed . 我们事先没有彩排过
rehearsed:v.排练;排演;默诵;背诵;重复;(rehearse的过去分词和过去式)
Congrats , Cyril. Great stuff. Oh wow. 恭喜你西里尔干得不错
Congrats:n.祝贺;祝贺词;(congratulations的缩略形式)
OK, let's move on; otherwise, this will just take the whole time. 我们继续不然这个应用可以玩一天
(Applause) (观众掌声)
So, art and culture can be fun also, right? 所以艺术和文化也很有意思,是吧?
For our last quick experiment -- we call all of these "experiments" -- our last quick experiment comes back to machine learning. 最后一个小实验 我们管这些叫做“实验” 最后一个实验回到了计算机学习部分
We show you clusters, visual clusters, but what if we could ask the machine to also name these clusters? 我们展示了集群视觉集群 如果我们让电脑命名这些集群会发生什么?
What if it could automatically tag them, using no actual metadata? 不使用元数据的情况下电脑可以自动为集群打上标签么?
automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的;
So what we have is this kind of explorer , where we have managed to match, I think, around 4,000 labels . 所以我们有了这样一个浏览器 电脑为我们做了4000个标签
explorer:n.探险者;勘探者;考察者; labels:n.标签;分类(label的复数形式);v.贴标签于;把…称为(label的三单形式);
And we haven't really done anything special here, just fed the collection. 我们其实没有做什么特别的 只是提供了所有的收藏
And we found interesting categories . 我们发现了很多有趣的分类
categories:n.(人或事物的)类别,种类(category的复数)
We can start with horses, a very straightforward category . 我们可以从马开始这是很直接的分类
straightforward:adj.简单的;坦率的;明确的;径直的;adv.直截了当地;坦率地; category:n.种类,分类;[数]范畴;
You would expect to see that the machine has put images of horses, right? 你可以期待看到电脑放进去的 都是马的照片,对吧?
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
And it has, but you also notice, right over there, that it has a very abstract image that it has still managed to recognize and cluster as horses. 当然有,但是如果仔细看这边 这里有一个非常抽象的图 电脑认定也属于马的分类
abstract:n.摘要; adj.抽象的; vt.摘要; vi.做摘要; recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
We also have an amazing head in terms of a horse. 这样我们就以马为关键字有了漂亮的一拍图片
And each one has the tags as to why it got categorized in this. 每一个图片都有标签说明为什么它被这样分类
tags:n.标签; v.附加; categorized:adj.分类的;v.分类(categorize的过去式);
So let's move to another one which I found very funny and interesting, because I don't understand how this category came up. 那么我们继续看一个我觉得很有趣的例子 因为我不知道这个分类怎么来的
It's called "Lady in Waiting." 分类叫做“等待的女人”
If, Cyril, you do it very quickly, you will see that we have these amazing images of ladies, I guess, in waiting or posing . 西里尔请加快速度 你们可以看到这些精彩的图片 都是关于在等待或在摆姿势的女人的
posing:v.造成;引起;产生;提问;摆好姿势;(pose的现在分词)
I don't really understand it. 我确实无法理解
But I've been trying to ask my museum contacts , you know, "What is this? What's going on here?" 但是我一直在尝试问我的博物馆联系人 “这是什么?这张图里发生了什么?”
contacts:v.联系,联络;(contact的第三人称单数)
And it's fascinating. 这确实让人着迷
Coming back to gold very quickly, 回到金子
I wanted to search for gold and see how the machine tagged all the gold. 我想要寻找金子 然后看看电脑如何给金子打上标签
tagged:adj.标记的;示踪的;加标记的;v.附以签条(tag的过去分词);
But, actually, it doesn't tag it as gold. 但是实际上电脑没有给它标签黄金
We are living in popular times. 我们生活在一个流行的时代
It tags it as " bling-bling ." 它打的标签是“土豪金”
bling-bling:珠光宝气的;闪亮的;
(Laughter) (观众笑声)
I'm being hard on Cyril, because I'm moving too fast. 我一直在难为西里尔因为我讲的太快了
Essentially, here you have all the bling-bling of the world's museums organized for you. 现在你可以看到 世界上的博物馆为您提供的所有土豪金的物品
And finally, to end this talk and these experiments, what I hope you feel after this talk is happiness and emotion . 最后,希望各位在听完这次演讲后 可以感到开心和感动
emotion:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;
And what would we see when we see happiness? 然后当我们感到高兴的时候我们会看到什么?
If we actually look at all the objects that have been tagged under "happiness," 如果我们看完这些 被打上“快乐”的艺术品
you would expect happiness, I guess. 我想你们会感到快乐
But there was one that came up that was very fascinating and interesting, which was this artwork by Douglas Coupland, our friend and artist in residence as well, called, "I Miss My Pre-Internet Brain." 但是有一个作品很吸引人很有趣 由我们的朋友,也是当地艺术家 道格拉斯·库普兰所做 叫做,“我怀念有网络前的大脑”
I don't know why the machine feels like it misses its pre-Internet brain and it's been tagged here, but it's a very interesting thought. 我不知道为什么计算机会想念有网络前的大脑 也不知道为什么这部作品被标记在这里 但是这个想法很有意思
I sometimes do miss my pre-Internet brain, but not when it comes to exploring arts and culture online. 有的时候我确实很怀念我有网络之前的大脑 但是当我开始在网上探索艺术和文化之后我就不这么想了
So take out your phones, take out your computers, go visit museums. 所以,拿出你的手机和电脑 去参观博物馆吧
And just a quick call-out to all the amazing archivists , historians, curators, who are sitting in museums, preserving all this culture. 这就像那些坐在博物馆中保存这些历史的博物馆馆长 策展人或历史学家 为您上门服务
call-out:唤起;出动;大声叫唤; archivists:档案保管员(archivist的名词复数); preserving:n.保留,保存;
And the least we can do is get our daily dose of art and culture for ourselves and our kids. 至少我们可以让我们和我们的后代 每天增长一点艺术文化知识
dose:n.剂量;一剂,一服;v.服药;给药;给…服药;
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause) (观众掌声)