|
|
AmeeraHarouda_2016-_why_i_put_myself_in_danger_to_tell_the_stories_of_gaza_
|
Hello. |
大家好, |
This is my first trip, first time in life I'm outside of the walls of Gaza. |
这是我的第一次旅行 人生中第一次离开加沙地带 |
I'm so happy to be here. |
能来到这里我非常高兴 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
My ambition always was to be a pilot, to fly a plane, to feel free to fly the sky, to touch the sky. |
一直以来,我的志向是成为一名飞行员,去开飞机, 从而去感受空中飞翔的自由,与天空为伍。 |
ambition:n.追求的目标;野心;志向;抱负;
|
But that didn't happen. |
但,这从未发生过。 |
Simply, I live in Gaza, there is no airport . |
简单的说,我生活在加沙,那里没有机场 |
airport:n.机场;航空港;
|
All borders are closed on every side. |
所有的边境都是关闭的 |
We live in one of the biggest prisons in the world. |
我们生活在这世界上最大的监狱里。 |
The only thing I can do is just to look up to the sky. |
对我来说,唯一能做的事情就是仰望天空 |
look up to:尊敬;
|
On some days, we are lucky if we have electricity for four or five hours. |
在某些天,会有四、五个小时的电力供应 对我们来说非常幸运。 |
electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪;
|
When it's cold, we make a fire on the front or on the roof of our homes. |
在寒冷的天气里,我们在房子前面或者屋顶生火取暖。 |
Sometimes we make food, too. |
有时候,我们会用同样的方式煮饭。 |
My job in Gaza is to arrange everything for journalists who come to my homeland to tell the stories about what's going on in Gaza. |
在加沙,我的工作是为来到加沙的记者们准备各种各样的东西 告诉他们在加沙正发生着什么。 |
arrange:v.安排;排列;整理; journalists:n.新闻记者(journalist的复数);
|
Many mornings, I had to go to the border area to collect a journalist. |
很多个早晨,我不得不去边境地区 接一名记者。 |
If anything should happen to the journalist, or if the journalist decides to cover a story the government doesn't want us to cover, bad things could happen. |
假如这名记者发生了任何事情, 或者这名记者决定去报道一个 政府不允许我们揭露的故事(新闻), 可能就会发生糟糕的事情。 |
Navigating through my country helping journalists, filmmakers , news crews, is my working life. |
在我的国家为记者 电影制作者、新同伴做导航,是我的工作 |
Navigating:v.航行,操纵(navigate的现在分词形式);adj.航行的,航行中; filmmakers:n.制片人(filmmaker的复数);
|
I believe my success comes from building a relationship not only with journalists and the news crews, but also with the communities in the Gaza Strip . |
我相信我的成功是因为建立了关系 不仅仅是和记者、新同伴们, 更是和加沙地带的社区群体。 |
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) Strip:n.带; v.夺; adj.脱衣舞的;
|
These communities who don't want their stories to be told, |
这些社区群体不希望他们的故事被报道, |
I never looked to them as stories or numbers. |
我从来没有把他们作为故事或者数字。 |
But like me, they are human beings. |
他们和我一样,他们是人 |
I have built up many relationships over 10 years. |
在过去的十年,我已经建立起很多关系 |
And guess what? |
你猜怎么样? |
This gives me the chance to get access to people, to stories that others can't. |
这给我机会去加入人群 去诉述那些别人不能诉说的事。 |
In some certain situations, I feel, as a woman, I have more power. |
在一些真实的场景,我感受到,作为一个女人,我有更大的能量。 |
Many male journalists in my society, they want to cover a story about drug addiction in my country. |
在我的群体中,很多男性记者 他们想去报道发生在我的国家的一个毒品泛滥事件。 |
addiction:n.瘾;嗜好;入迷;
|
That problem started when the Gaza tunnel was being built. |
在建设加沙隧道时,这个问题已经开始了。 |
tunnel:n.地下通道;地道;隧道;(动物的)洞穴通道;v.开凿隧道;挖地道;
|
With the siege on Gaza, tunnels brought people all the basic needs like food, building material, other stuff we needed. |
在加沙的围城之中 隧道给人们带来所有基本的需求 比如,食物、建材等其他我们需要的物品。 |
siege:n.围攻;包围;围城;不断袭击;长期努力;vt.围攻;包围; tunnels:n.[交]隧道; v.凿隧道; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
But not anymore, because the Egyptian side flooded them up with water and they are not working anymore. |
但现在不是了,因为与埃及的边界被洪水淹没 隧道不再起作用 |
Drugs were being smuggled , and many young people got addicted , too. |
毒品被走私进来 很多年轻人对毒品上瘾 |
smuggled:v.走私;私运;偷运(smuggle的过去分词和过去式) addicted:adj.上瘾的;上瘾;成瘾;有瘾;入迷;
|
In the tradition of the Palestinian society, it's forbidden for men to enter the household . |
在传统的巴勒斯坦社会, 禁止男人进入家门 |
Palestinian:adj.巴勒斯坦的;巴勒斯坦人的;n.巴勒斯坦人; forbidden:adj.禁止的; v.禁止; (forbid的过去分词和过去式) household:n.家庭;一家人;同住一所(或一套)房子的人;adj.家庭的;家常的;王室的;
|
So, no male journalists get the story. |
因此,没有男性记者能进行采访。 |
But I did. |
但是,我可以。 |
I have a wonderful husband, a wonderful husband who supports me despite all the criticism he gets from the society. |
我的丈夫非常棒, 他支持我 尽管他承受着来自社会的所有批评。 |
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; criticism:n.批评;批判;评论;指责;
|
He's at home now with my two kids, and I have another one that's growing in here. |
他现在和我的两个海子待在家里, 我带着另外一个孩子,在这里生活成长。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
When I'm working, I call him every two hours, and he knows if he doesn't hear from me, he should call my contact , the one who gives me access to the story, which is the one who I trust. |
当我工作时,我每隔两个小时给他打电话 同时,他知道如果他没有接到我的电话 他应该打电话联系我 带我进入这个故事的人 是我最相信的人。 |
contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系;
|
One of the times in Gaza, during the kidnapping of the British journalist Alan Johnston, |
有一次在加沙, 英国记者约翰斯顿被绑架期间, |
I was asked by an American magazine to set up a meeting with the kidnappers in Gaza, and I did. |
一个美国杂志要求我 在加沙组织一个和绑匪的会面,我做到了。 |
kidnappers:n.绑匪;诱拐者;
|
The journalist covering the story and I were asked to meet outside of his hotel. |
记者报道 了新闻, 我被要求在他的酒店外会面 |
They came, they picked us up in a black van with black windows, they were wearing masks on that day. |
他们来了,他们将我们架上一辆带着黑色玻璃的黑色面包车 那天他们带着面具。 |
van:n.厢式货车;客货车;v.选矿;用车搬运;
|
And they drove us away, far away in the middle of a field. |
他们开车载着我们,远离中心地带。 |
They took our cell phones and we did the interview with the kidnapper outside in that field. |
他们拿走我们的手机 我们在这批区域的中间和绑匪会面。 |
interview:n.接见,采访;面试,面谈;v.采访;接见;对…进行面谈;
|
I was so scared that day, a day I will never forget. |
那天我非常害怕 我永远不会忘记的一天。 |
So, why do I do what I do? |
然而,我为什么要这么做呢? |
I do it because I believe if I didn't, a huge part of the story about Gaza will be missing. |
我这么做,因为我相信如果我不 将失去加沙的这个新闻的一大部分。 |
There are some more stories I could tell you about my country. |
我可以告诉你非常多我的国家的故事, |
And not all of them are bad. |
并不是所有的都是不好的。 |
I love my country, despite the terrible situation we live in -- siege, poverty , unemployment -- but there is life. |
我爱我的国家,尽管我们生活在这个糟糕的地带 闭塞,贫穷,失业... 但这是生命 |
poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; unemployment:n.失业;失业率;失业人数;
|
There are people who are dreamers and amazing people full of energy. |
这里的人们充满梦想和惊人的活力。 |
dreamers:n.梦想家(dreamer的复数形式);做梦的人;
|
We have wonderful music, and a great music school. |
我们有美妙的音乐和伟大的音乐学校。 |
We have parkour dancers who dance in the rubble of their homes. |
我们有跑酷舞者,他们可以在他们家的瓦砾上跳舞。 |
parkour:n.跑酷(一种极限运动); rubble:n.碎石,碎砖;粗石堆;
|
And Gaza is the only place in the Arab world where Muslims and Christians live in strong brotherhood . |
同时,加沙是阿拉伯世界唯一一个地方 穆斯林和基督徒血脉相连。 |
brotherhood:n.兄弟关系;手足情谊;四海之内皆兄弟的信念;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
During the time of war, the hardest part for me is leaving the house early in the morning, leaving my children. |
在战争期间, 对我来说最艰难的是早晨离开家, 离开我的孩子。 |
I take a picture of them everyday because I never know if I will make it back to them. |
我每天给他们拍照, 因为我不知道我否还能回到他们身边。 |
Being a fixer and a journalist is difficult and dangerous in Gaza. |
在作为一个固定点和一个记者是非常困难和危险的。 |
fixer:n.固定器;[摄]定影剂;毒贩子;调停者;
|
But when I hear the sound of the shelling or the sound of the bombing, |
但是当我听见炮声、爆炸声时, |
shelling:n.去皮;去壳;v.剥去…的外壳;向…开枪;脱落(shell的ing形式);
|
I just head straight toward it, because I want to be there first, because these stories should be told. |
我立即迎头而上去面对它, 因为我想第一个到那儿 因为这些事需要被报道。 |
When my children were small and we heard the sound of the war, |
我的孩子们还很小时,每当我们听到战争的声音 |
I used to tell them that they were fireworks . |
我都会告诉他们,那是烟火。 |
fireworks:n.烟花;烟火表演;激烈的言辞;令人激动的行动;(firework的复数)
|
Now they are older, they understand. |
但他们现在长大了,他们懂了。 |
I do have terrible nightmares because of all that I witnessed during war times, especially these lifeless bodies of young children. |
我开始做噩梦 因为在战争期间我所见证的 尤其是那些失去生命的年轻人的尸体。 |
nightmares:n.噩梦;梦魇;极其糟糕的情况;(nightmare的复数) witnessed:v.当场看到,目击;见证;作证;(witness的过去式和过去分词) especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; lifeless:adj.无生命的;死气沉沉的;无趣味的;
|
I still remember a little girl, her name is Hala. |
我仍记得一个小女孩,她的名字叫Hala。 |
She's the only survivor from her family. |
她是她家唯一的幸存者。 |
Her picture will be with me forever. |
她的样子我会永远记得, |
I will never forget her. |
我忘不了她。 |
I'm proud that I can stand here and be here today with you. |
我很骄傲,我可以站在这里,在这里和你们在一起 |
I'm proud that I can tell you stories, sad and happy, stories about my small corner of the world, Gaza. |
我很骄傲,我可以告诉你们这些故事,悲伤的和快乐的, 关于我们那个世界小角落,加沙,那儿的故事。 |
I'm proud that I am the first female fixer working in Gaza. |
我很骄傲,我是在加沙工作的第一个女性fixer。 |
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
|
And the funny thing is they call me Mr. Rambo in Gaza. |
有趣的是,在加沙,他们叫我Mr. Rombo |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I hope one day, I will get the chance to tell the stories of all other women, all other amazing women I know in my country. |
我希望有一天,我可以有机会讲述所有其他女性的故事 所有我知道的在我国家的其他惊人的女性, |
I hope that one day I can help other women in my country to be fixers like me. |
我希望有一天,我能帮助我的国家的其他女性, 成为和我一样的fixer |
fixers:n.固定器;[摄]定影剂;毒贩子;调停者;
|
And of course sometimes, I feel I can't do this work anymore, it's just too much for me. |
当然有时候,我会觉得我再也不能做这份工作了, 对我来说这太多了。 |
But I remember these words: "Don't limit your challenge, but challenge your limit. |
但我会想起这句话: 不要限制你的挑战,而是挑战你的极限, |
Don't allow others to stand in front of your dreams." |
不要让其他人凌驾于你的梦想之上。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢你们 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |