|
|
AlokSharma_2021T-_为什么cop26是我们实现一个更环保未来的最佳机会_
|
I'm here, in the heart of London's financial district, the Square Mile . |
我现在正在伦敦的金融中心, the Square Mile。 |
This is the area where I worked at the start of my investment-banking career in the '90s, as a fresh-faced youth. |
在 90 年代,我就是在这里开始了 我的投行事业, 我当时还是行内的新面孔。 |
But if you told me then that I would end up as COP26 president, |
但如果你那时候告诉我, 我会最终成为 COP26 的主席, |
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; Square Mile:n.平方英里城(指伦敦金融城)(银行和金融业的聚集地); career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; fresh-faced:面带稚气的;
|
I think I'd have asked you what COP26 was. |
我可能会问 “什么是 COP26 ?” |
It's the 26th United Nations climate conference and it's taking place in the UK. |
它就是第26届第联合国气候变化大会, 并且在英国举办。 |
But forget the technical terms. |
请先别管这些术语。 |
What COP26 really stands for is our last chance to avoid the worst effects of climate change. |
COP26 真正代表的是 我们避免气候变化 最坏影响的最后机会。 |
And I'll come back to that later. |
我过一会儿会回到这个话题。 |
United Nations:n.联合国; conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会) technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的;
|
The point is that when I began my career in banking, climate didn't feature particularly highly , certainly not in finance , and not so much in the rest of the country either. |
重点是当我开始我的投行事业时, 气候并未受到很多关注, 金融界未对其多留心, 而国家的其他领域也是这样。 |
In the '90s, there was a guy called Swampy , who spent time occupying trees and tunnels , and he was the main face of climate action in the United Kingdom . |
在90年代,有一位叫 斯旺皮(Swampy)的环保主义者, 他花了很多时间占领树木和隧道 来抗议气候变化, 他是英国气候行动的主要面孔。 |
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费; Swampy:adj.沼泽的;湿地的;沼泽多的;松软的; occupying:v.占用;使用;居住;占领;占据;(occupy的现在分词) tunnels:n.[交]隧道; v.凿隧道; United Kingdom:n.英国;
|
But, you know, things change. |
但是事态常变。 |
I remember being on a flight in the late 2000s |
我记得在 2000 年代后期, 我乘飞机时 |
And I rarely watch an entire film, but this one I watched twice on the same flight. |
我很少看完整部电影, 但我在飞机上将这部纪录片 整整看了两遍。 |
And I remember sitting on the plane afterwards thinking about my young daughters and what future I wanted for them. |
记得看完后的我,坐在飞机上 想着我的年幼的女儿们 以及我想要给她们一个怎样的未来。 |
So fast forward 14 years or so, and my entire professional life is now dedicated to getting the world to tackle the climate crisis . |
快进14年左右, 现在,我的整个职业生涯都投入了 让世界联手应对气候危机。 |
rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地; professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; dedicated:adj.献身的; v.把…奉献给; (dedicate的过去分词和过去式) tackle:v.处理; n.用具; crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
|
I witnessed the terrible effects that the crisis is already having in developing countries amongst people who, quite frankly, have done the very least to cause it. |
我目睹了这场危机 对发展中国家造成的可怕影响, 而那里的居民没有做什么事 造成这场气候危机。 |
And I think about that injustice a lot. |
我经常思考这种不公正。 |
Really a lot. |
时时刻刻。 |
And that journey that I've made is just one example of a much broader shift over the past 30 years. |
我的经历是 近30年的广泛转变中的一个例子, |
One that has seen climate move from the margins to the mainstream in business, in government, in finance and indeed amongst the public. |
见证了气候问题从边缘走向主流, 这发生在在商业界、政府 金融界,以及在社会上[02:06] |
witnessed:v.当场看到,目击;见证;作证;(witness的过去式和过去分词) amongst:prep.在…之中;在…当中(等于among); injustice:n.不公正;不讲道义; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换; margins:n.边缘; v.给…镶边; (margin的复数) mainstream:n.主流;
|
And it's that shift that makes me hopeful on climate, despite the scale of the challenge that we face, which frankly is huge. |
这使我对气候问题变得有希望, 尽管我们面临的挑战规模, 坦率地说,是巨大的。 |
Now, the science shows that to avoid the worst effects of climate change, we must limit the rise in average global temperature to 1.5 degrees centigrade . |
现在科学表明, 为了避免气候变化的最坏影响, 我们必须限制全球平均温度的上升 在1.5度摄氏度以内。 |
That if temperatures rise higher, the risk of species extinction and catastrophic impacts on human lives increases dramatically . |
如果温度上升更高, 物种灭绝以及对人类生活的灾难性影响 发生的概率将会急剧增加。 |
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; centigrade:adj.摄氏的;[仪]摄氏温度的;百分度的; species:n.[生物]物种;种类; extinction:n.绝种; catastrophic:adj.灾难的;悲惨的;灾难性的,毁灭性的; impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用; dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地;
|
And we risk kickstarting feedback loops with the consequences of climate change, like melting permafrost , release even more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere , making it even harder to wrestle the crisis under control. |
而我们会冒险触发反馈循环 造成气候变化恶果, 像融化永冻层, 向大气层释放更多的温室气体, 让控制气候危机更加困难。 |
Now, to keep 1.5-degree limits alive, we've got to halve global emissions by 2030. |
为了保持 1.5 度的限制, 我们必须在2030年之前 将全球的排放量减半。 |
That's right, halve. |
是的,减半。 |
That is a huge undertaking . |
这是项巨大工程。 |
But, you know, I'm hopeful because climate is now mainstream and that is turning the global economy green. |
但是,我对此抱有希望 因为气候问题变得主流 并在转变全球经济更绿色发展。[03:11] |
feedback:n.反馈;反馈意见;回授;[电子]反馈; loops:n.[计]循环(loop复数); v.使...成环,以圈结,以环连结(loop的第三人称单数形式); consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数); melting:adj.感人的;v.(使)熔化,融化;(melt的现在分词) permafrost:n.永久冻土,永久冻地;永久冻结带;永久冰冻; release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与; greenhouse:n.温室;暖房; atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格; wrestle:n.摔跤;搏斗;斗争;v.摔跤;斗争;斟酌; halve:vt.二等分;把…减半; emissions:n.(光、热、气等的)发出,排放;排放物;散发物;(emission的复数) undertaking:n.事业;企业;保证;殡仪业;v.同意;担任;许诺;(undertake的现在分词) economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
|
Increasingly , the Swampies of the world, they're not protesting in trees and tunnels, they're all around us in the boardrooms as well as the classrooms. |
而更多世界上的“斯旺皮”, 他们不在树边或隧道里抗议, 他们就在我们身边, 在董事会或教室。 |
In government departments and on trading floors all around the world. |
在全世界的政府部门和交易大厅。 |
In every country that I visit as COP president, |
我作为 COP 的主席 到访过的每个国家 |
I meet young people and activists. |
我都会遇见年轻人和社会活动家。 |
And everywhere I see the same passion and the commitment to act on climate. |
我在每处都看到同样的激情 以及对气候采取行动的承诺。[03:35] |
Increasingly:adv.越来越多地;渐增地; protesting:v.(公开)反对;抗议;坚决地表示;申辩;(protest的现在分词) boardrooms:n.董事会会议室;(boardroom的复数) as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且; COP:v.遭受;忍受;注意到;n.警察; passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; commitment:n.承诺;投入;保证;许诺;
|
Companies in every sector are throwing themselves behind a clean, green future, and rocketing public concern is encouraging governments and businesses to act. |
各行各业的公司都在投身 于清洁、绿色的未来, 飞速增长的公众关注 也在鼓励政府和企业采取行动。 |
And shareholders , they're forcing companies to change. |
而股东们也推动公司做出改变。 |
And the move to clean technology is accelerating faster than anyone anticipated . |
而清洁科技的发展速度 比任何人预期的都要快。 |
I mean, let's take the sale of clean cars and vans that outstripping predictions . |
就拿无污染汽车和货车来说, 它们销量以远远超出预计。 |
sector:n.部门;扇形,扇区;象限仪;函数尺;vt.把…分成扇形; concern:v.涉及,关系到;使担心;n.关系;关心;关心的事; shareholders:n.[金融]股东,投资者;股民(shareholder的复数); technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; accelerating:adj.促进的,[物]加速的;催化的; anticipated:adj.预期的; v.预期; (anticipate的过去式和过去分词) vans:n.先锋;前卫;大蓬货车(van的复数); outstripping:vt.超过;胜过;比…跑得快(outstrip的变形); predictions:n.预测,预言(prediction复数形式);
|
Solar and wind power are now cheaper than coal and gas in most of the world. |
在大部分地区,太阳能和风能 比煤炭和天然气便宜。 |
And three times as much solar power was built in 2020 than analysts predicted just back in 2015. |
而在 2020 年所建的太阳能比 分析师在 2015 年的预测多了三倍。 |
In my old industry, finance, climate is now mainstream, too. |
在我之前所处的金融行业 气候问题也变主流了。 |
And there is a simple reason for that. |
原因很简单。 |
Investors try to predict the future. |
投资者会试着预测未来。 |
Because if you can do that, you can make money. |
如果你预测成功, 便能赚到很多钱。[04:28] |
analysts:n.分析师;分析家;[分化]分析员(analyst的复数); predicted:v.预言;预告;预报;(predict的过去分词和过去式)
|
And increasingly, they think the future is green. |
越来越多的投资者认为 未来会更环保的。 |
More and more financial firms are committing to make their investments consistent with a 1.5-degree world. |
越来越多的金融公司承诺 他们的投资将帮助维持 1.5 度的世界。 |
And investors are asking for much higher returns from coal power than they are from renewables because they're worried that coal power stations are going to become worthless . |
投资者对燃煤发电的回报要求 远高于对可再生能源的要求, 因为他们担心煤电厂 之后会变得不值钱。 |
committing:v.做出;犯罪或错等;自杀;承诺,保证;(commit的现在分词) investments:n.[经]投资,投资的财产;投资学;(investment的复数) consistent:adj.始终如一的,一致的;坚持的; renewables:n.可再生能源(renewable的复数); worthless:adj.无价值的;不值钱的;卑微的;
|
In February 2020, when I helped launch our COP26 finance campaign here in the Square Mile to get finance moving to climate action, the place was packed to the rafters . |
在 2020 年的二月份, 我在伦敦金融区协助启动 COP26 融资活动 希望将更多资金转移到气候行动上, 现场人山人海。 |
You know, when I worked in banking, certainly at the start, the room would have been near empty. |
如果这活动开展于我刚入行的时候, 现场肯定门可罗雀。 |
And what all of this adds up to, this mainstreaming of climate, is a quiet revolution in the global economy. |
将我所提到的加起来 气候问题的主流化 是在全球经济的一个安静变革。 |
launch:v.发射(导弹,火箭等); n.发射; rafters:n.椽子;v.给…装椽子;把(木材)作成椽子;(rafter的第三人称单数和复数) mainstreaming:n.主流化;回归主流;
|
A green industrial revolution is underway , taking us to a clean future, showing that we can create jobs and prosperity without harming the planet. |
一场绿色工业革命正在进行中, 并会带我们走向清洁的未来, 并证明人们可以在不伤害地球的前提下 创造工作和繁荣。 |
Our challenge is that it's not going fast enough. |
我们面临的挑战就是 这个变革发展得不够快。 |
Limiting temperature rises to 1.5 degrees requires us to move much faster. |
为了将温度限制在 1.5 度以内 需要我们加快进度。 |
And we can only succeed if we act now and we work together to speed up the shift to our green future. |
想要成功的话, 我们必须现在开始行动 齐心协力加快 向绿色未来的发展。 |
industrial revolution:n.工业革命; underway:adj.进行中的;起步的;航行中的;n.[公路]水底通道; prosperity:n.繁荣,成功;
|
And that's what COP26 really stands for. |
这才是 COP26 的真正意义。 |
Now, in the run up to the conference and at the conference itself, we need governments to take the lead and get the green transition moving faster to keep 1.5 degrees alive. |
在会议准备期间和开始后, 我们需要政府们带头加快环保转型 来保持 1.5 度的承诺。 |
We need them to set targets to reduce emissions, to make this the COP that consigns coal power to history where it belongs. |
我们需要政府制定减排目标, 在本届 COP上, 让煤炭发电成为历史, |
The COP that signals the end of polluting vehicles , the COP that calls time on deforestation . |
标志排污车辆终结, 以及叫停森林砍伐。 |
run up to:跑到;达到;积累到; transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡; consigns:v.委托;(商)托运;托卖;用作;(consign的第三人称单数) vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数) deforestation:n.采伐森林;森林开伐;
|
We need developed countries to deliver the finance they have promised developing countries. |
我们需要发达国家提供 他们之前向发展中国家承诺的资金。 |
And we need to help protect people and nature from the impact of our changing climate. |
而我们也需要帮助保护人类和大自然 免受气候变化的影响。 |
And we need to work together as one planet to agree how we're going to meet the scale of the climate challenge and to get every sector going green. |
全球人类需要齐心协力 就如何应对气候挑战达成一致, 并确保每一个行业变得更环保。 |
Now, this isn't going to be easy. |
这并不是一件简单的事。 |
First, because our understanding of the climate is developing all the time. |
第一,我们对气候的认知 每时每刻都在发展。 |
And as the science tells us, we need to move faster. |
并且,科学告诉了我们, 我们需要加快脚步。 |
We're going to have to respond . |
我们需要做出回应。 |
Second, getting people to agree can be challenging. |
第二,让人们达成共识是挺难的。 |
And at COP26, we have almost 200 countries. |
在 COP26, 有将近 200 多国家参会。 |
And all of the UK is leading this process . |
虽然英国现正引领这一进程, |
It's up to all of us to find solutions together. |
这最终取决于 所有人一起寻找解决方案。[07:04] |
respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
|
It's like hosting a disco , a bop. |
它就像举办迪斯科舞会。 |
And look, I apologize that these terms show my age, but you can get a hall and you can hire a DJ, but to make it work, your friends have to turn up and dance. |
看,我很抱歉, 这些老土的词汇暴露了我的年龄, 你可以预约一个舞厅, 请到一名DJ, 但只有你的朋友们到场并跳舞, 这才是场成功的舞会。 |
hosting:v.主办,主持;主持;做东;(host的现在分词) disco:n.迪斯科舞厅;的士高;
|
And so it will be tough, but we simply cannot afford to fail. |
这是场艰难的战斗, 但我们已无法承担失败了。 |
The stakes are just too high. |
风险太高了。 |
And when ex-bankers like me lie awake thinking about climate change, when activists and businesses around the world have moved climate to the mainstream, we can all be hopeful. |
当像我这样的前银行家 夜不能寐思考气候变化, 当全球的环保活动家和企业 将气候问题视为主流, 我们都可以满怀希望。 |
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起; stakes:n.桩; v.以…打赌,拿…冒险;
|
A green revolution is on the march. |
一个环保的革命正在起步。 |
The clean future is within our grasp , but we need to actively pull it forward. |
清洁的未来近在咫尺, 但我们需要积极推动它向前。 |
And we need world leaders to take this chance to turn hope into certainty , to mold the future, to come together at COP26, and to continue my disco analogy , dance. |
我们需要各国领导抓住本次机会 把希望改变成现实 塑造未来, 在 COP26 上团结一致, 延续我的舞会比喻,一起“跳舞”。 |
grasp:n.抓住;理解;控制;v.抓住;领会; certainty:n.必然;确实;确实的事情; mold:n.模具;模型;霉菌;类型;v.用可塑材料塑成;浇铸;发霉; analogy:n.类比;类推;类似;
|
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |