|
|
AllisonHunt_2007-_艾莉森·亨特换了新髋骨_
|
Allison Hunt: My three minutes hasn't started yet, has it? |
我的三分钟还没开始吧? |
Chris Anderson: No, you can't start the three minutes. |
克里斯·安德森:没有。先别开始计时。 |
Reset the three minutes, that's just not fair. |
重设时间,负责对她不公平 |
Reset:vi.重置;清零;重新组合;n.重新设定;重新组合;重排版;
|
AH: Oh my God, it's harsh up here. |
艾莉森·亨特:天啊!这演讲的规定也太严格了。 |
harsh:adj.严厉的;严酷的;刺耳的;粗糙的;刺目的;
|
I mean I'm nervous enough as it is. |
我是说,我已经够紧张的了 |
But I am not as nervous as I was five weeks ago. |
不过我已经没有五周前那么紧张了 |
Five weeks ago I had total hip replacement surgery . |
五周以前我做了全髋骨置换手术 |
hip:n.臀部;蔷薇果;忧郁;adj.熟悉内情的;非常时尚的; replacement:n.替换;更换;替代品;接替者; surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室;
|
Do you know that surgery? |
你知道这个手术吗? |
Electric saw, power drill, totally disgusting unless you're David Bolinsky, in which case it's all truth and beauty. |
电锯,电钻,超可怕 除非你是大卫·柏林斯基,因为他认为手术只有真和美 |
Electric:n.供电;adj.电的;用电的;电动的;发电的; disgusting:adj.令人不快的;令人厌恶的;v.使作呕;使厌恶;使反感;(disgust的现在分词)
|
Sure David, if it's not your hip, it's truth and beauty. |
当然,大卫,只要不是你的髋骨,就会有真和美。 |
Anyway, I did have a really big epiphany around the situation, so Chris invited me to tell you about it. |
总之,这件事给了我很大的启示 克里斯邀请我和大家分享一下 |
epiphany:对事物真谛的顿悟;
|
But first you need to know two things about me. |
但首先我有两件事需要事先说明 |
Just two things. |
就两件 |
I'm Canadian, and I'm the youngest of seven kids. |
第一,我是加拿大人。第二,我是家中七个孩子里最小的。 |
Now, in Canada, we have that great healthcare system. |
在加拿大,我们有很好的医保制度 |
healthcare:n.医疗保健;健康护理,健康服务;卫生保健;
|
That means we get our new hips for free. |
那意味著置换髋骨是免费的 |
hips:n.臀部;髋;臀部…的;野蔷薇果(hip的复数)
|
And being the youngest of seven, |
而身为七个小孩中的老幺 |
I have never been at the front of the line for anything. OK? |
任何事情都是最后一个轮到我 |
So my hip had been hurting me for years. |
我的髋骨已经折磨了我好多年 |
I finally went to the doctor, which was free. |
我终于去看了医生,那是免费的。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
And she referred me to an orthopedic surgeon , also free. |
她将我转诊给骨外科医生,那也是免费的。 |
referred:v.提到;引用;认为;指示;涉及;(refer的过去式和过去分词) orthopedic:adj.整形外科的(等于orthopaedic); surgeon:n.外科医生;
|
Finally got to see him after 10 months of waiting -- almost a year. |
等了十个月,我终于见到了他 -- 将近一年啊。 |
That is what free gets you. |
这就是免费的代价。 |
I met the surgeon, and he took some free X-rays, and I got a good look at them. And you know, even I could tell my hip was bad, and I actually work in marketing. |
我见了外科医生,他给我拍了几张免费的 X 光片, 我很仔細地看了这些 X 光片,然后你知道的, 就连我这个外行也看得出髋骨有问题。 我是做市场分析的,是个完全的外行。 |
So he said, "Allison, we've got to get you on the table. |
因此他说:“艾莉森,我们必须帮你安排手術” |
I'm going to replace your hip -- it's about an 18-month wait." |
我要给你换个髋骨 -- 大概要等18个月 |
18 more months. |
还要再等18个月 |
I'd already waited 10 months, and I had to wait 18 more months. |
我已经等了10个月了,现在还要再多等18个月 |
You know, it's such a long wait that I actually started to even think about it in terms of TEDs. |
你知道的,这么漫长的等待让我不禁 开始使用TED演讲来计算等待的时间 |
I wouldn't have my new hip for this TED. |
在这一次的TED,我不会有新的髋骨 |
I wouldn't have my new hip for TEDGlobal in Africa. |
非洲的“全球TED”,我也不会有新髋骨 |
I would not have my new hip for TED2008. |
TED2008,我仍然不会有新髋骨 |
I would still be on my bad hip. That was so disappointing . |
我的坏髋骨仍然会陪伴着我。太令人失望了。 |
disappointing:adj.令人失望的;v.使失望;使破灭;使落空(disappoint的现在分词)
|
So, I left his office and I was walking through the hospital, and that's when I had my epiphany. |
所以,我离开了他的办公室,我在医院中走着, 就在这时,我领悟到, |
This youngest of seven had to get herself to the front of the line. |
七个孩子的老幺必须想办法挤到前面去 |
Oh yeah. |
哦,对了! |
Can I tell you how un-Canadian that is? |
你知道这种想法有多不像加拿大人吗? |
We do not think that way. |
我们是不会这样思考的。 |
We don't talk about it. It's not even a consideration . |
我们不会去谈论这件事--呃--这根本不在考虑范围之内 |
consideration:n.顾及;报酬;斟酌;仔细考虑;
|
In fact, when we're traveling abroad , it's how we identify fellow Canadians. |
事实上,当我们在国外旅行时,我们就是这样来辨别自己的同胞 |
abroad:adv.在国外;到海外;adj.往国外的;n.海外;异国; identify:v.识别:鉴定:确认:发现:
|
'"After you." "Oh, no, no. After you." |
“你先请” “不,不,你先来” |
Hey, are you from Canada? "Oh, me too! Hi!" |
嗨,你是加拿大人?“我也是,嗨” |
'"Great! Excellent!" |
“太棒了,好极了” |
So no, suddenly I wasn't averse to butting any geezer off the list. |
所以,不,忽然间我不介意把名单中排在前面的老家伙挤到后面去。 |
averse:adj.反对的;不愿意的; butting:v.(人)用头顶撞;(动物)用头(或角)顶;(butt的现在分词) geezer:n.古怪的人;老头儿;
|
Some 70-year-old who wanted his new hip so he could be back golfing, or gardening. |
一些需要更换髋骨的70岁的老人 如果他们的目的只是为了打高尔夫球或种种花草 |
No, no. Front of the line. |
不,不。这次我要抢在前面 |
So by now I was walking the lobby , and of course, that hurt, because of my hip, and I kind of needed a sign. |
现在我在医院的大厅走着,当然,很痛 因为我的髋骨。我需要一个指引。 |
lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府);
|
And I saw a sign. |
然后我真的得到了指引 |
In the window of the hospital's tiny gift shop there was a sign that said, " Volunteers Needed." Hmm. |
医院的小礼品店窗上有个启事 写着“义工招募中”,恩~ |
gift shop:n.礼品店; Volunteers:n.志愿者; v.自愿做; (volunteer的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Well, they signed me up immediately. |
他们马上就雇佣了我 |
No reference checks. None of the usual background stuff , no. |
没有按常规检查背景,不要推荐人 |
reference:n.参考,提及;参考书目;证明书;v.引用; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
They were desperate for volunteers because the average age of the volunteer at the hospital gift shop was 75. |
他們亟需义工 因为医院礼品店里现有义工的平均年龄是75岁 |
desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的;
|
Yeah. They needed some young blood . |
是的。他们需要一些新鲜血液 |
young blood:(集合词)青年;
|
So, next thing you know, I had my bright blue volunteer vest , |
所以很快我就穿上了鲜蓝色的义工背心 |
vest:n.背心,汗衫;v.赋与;
|
I had my photo ID, and I was fully trained by my 89-year-old boss. |
有了工作证,89岁的老伴对我进行了全面的培训 |
I worked alone. |
我能独当一面了。 |
Every Friday morning I was at the gift shop. |
每星期五早上我都在礼品店工作。 |
While ringing in hospital staff's Tic Tacs, |
每当医院员工们在一起剔牙闲聊时 |
I'd casually ask, "What do you do?" |
我会顺口问问,“你是做什么的?” |
casually:adv.偶然;临时;
|
Then I'd tell them, "Well, I'm getting my hip replaced -- in 18 months. |
接着我会告诉他们,“18个月后我就能接受髋骨置换手术了。 |
It's gonna be so great when the pain stops. Ow!" |
不用再受苦了,真是太好了!” |
All the staff got to know the plucky , young volunteer. |
全医院的员工都认识这位勇敢的年轻义工 |
plucky:adj.有勇气的,大胆的;
|
My next surgeon's appointment was, coincidentally , right after a shift at the gift shop. |
很巧的,我和外科医生的下个预约门诊日 正好是我从礼品店下班后 |
appointment:n.任命;约定;任命的职位; coincidentally:adv.巧合地;一致地; shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换;
|
So, naturally , I had my vest and my identification . |
因此,我理所当然地穿着背心和工作证去看医生 |
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地; identification:n.鉴定,识别;认同;身份证明;
|
I draped them casually over the chair in the doctor's office. |
我把它们随手搭在医生办公室的椅背上 |
draped:adj.垂褶袖;打褶形;vt.用布帘覆盖(drape的过去式及过去分词);
|
And you know, when he walked in, |
你可以想想,当医生走进来时 |
I could just tell that he saw them. |
我可以知道他看到了它们。 |
Moments later, I had a surgery date just weeks away, and a big fat prescription for Percocet. |
一阵子后,我的手术时间改在了几周后 并给我开了大量的止疼药 |
prescription:n.处方;药方;医生开的药;开处方;
|
Now, word on the street was that it was actually my volunteering that got me to the front of the line. |
现在市井的传言都说 我能提前动手术是因为我做了医院的义工 |
volunteering:v.自愿做;义务做;无偿做;当志愿兵(volunteer的现在分词)
|
And, you know, I'm not even ashamed of that. |
但你知道,我丝毫不对此感到羞愧 |
ashamed:adj.惭愧;尴尬;因惭愧而不情愿;
|
Two reasons. |
因为两个原因 |
First of all , I am going to take such good care of this new hip. |
首先,我会很好地对待我的新髋骨 |
First of all:adv.首先; I am going to:我将要做什么事情
|
But also I intend to stick with the volunteering, which actually leads me to the biggest epiphany of them all. |
另外,我会继续当义工服务 我最大的启事其实是从这里得到的 |
intend:v.打算;计划;想要;
|
Even when a Canadian cheats the system, they do it in a way that benefits society. |
即使当加拿大人会在制度面前取巧 他们也是用之来造福社会的 |