返回首页

AliKashani_2020-_友善、自动的食物外送机器人_-

Food delivery . 食物外送。
It's the thing that saves millennials from starvation . 它能够拯救千禧世代免于饿死。
By my calculations, 依我的计算,
Americans order over 20 million restaurant deliveries every single day. 美国人每天会订购超过两千万趟餐厅外送。
Over half of these deliveries are actually within walking distance. 这些外送当中有一半以上 其实都是走得到的距离。[00:25]
delivery:n.[贸易]交付;分娩;递送; millennials:n.千禧世代;千禧之子;千禧一代(millennial的复数); starvation:n.饿死;挨饿;绝食; deliveries:n.[贸易]交货(delivery的复数);已交付;
But nine out of 10 are delivered in cars. 但有九成是开车外送。
So basically , we are moving a two-pound burrito in a two-ton car 20 million times a day. 所以,基本上, 我们是用两公吨的汽车, 运送两磅的墨西哥卷饼, 一天要运两千万次。
The energy to bring you that burrito is actually bringing you a two-ton metal cage with heated seats. 把墨西哥卷饼送给你所用的能源, 其实是把将装有加热椅的 两公吨重金属笼子带给你。
Let's be honest. 坦诚点吧。
We are addicted to our cars. 我们对我们的汽车成瘾。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; burrito:n.玉米煎饼; addicted:adj.上瘾的;上瘾;成瘾;有瘾;入迷;
Did you know that in America, for every car, there are four parking spots? 你知道吗,在美国, 每一台汽车就对应有四个停车位?
In some downtowns , over half of the real estate is for cars. 在某些闹区, 超过一半的地产是给汽车用的。
We have designed our cities around our cars, because we drive whether we're going two miles or 200 miles. 我们以我们的汽车 为中心来设计城市, 因为不论我们要去的地方是两英里 或两百英里远,我们都开车。
Solo , or with our whole family. 自己开,或载着全家。
We get into the same SUV to go buy coffee or a coffee table . 我们也会开着同一台运动休旅车 去买咖啡或咖啡桌。
downtowns:adv.往闹市区;在市区;adj.市中心的;n.市中心区;三分线以外; real estate:n.房地产;不动产; Solo:n.独奏; adj.独奏的; v.单人攀登; v.单独地; coffee table:[家具]咖啡桌;咖啡茶几;
If we could free up some of these streets and parking lots, we could build more housing, more social spaces, more parks. 如果我们能把这些街道 和停车位分一些出来, 我们就能建造更多住房、 更多社交空间、更多公园。
But to do that, first, we need to rethink how we are using cars today. 但要做到这一点, 我们先得要重新思考 现今该怎么使用汽车。
In the city of the future, if you want to go five blocks, you summon a bike or a scooter . 在未来的城市中, 如果要到五个街区外的地方, 你会呼叫重型或轻型机车。
If you're in a rush, a passenger drone would pick you up. 如果你赶时间, 载客无人机会去载你。
And if you need food, no need to have someone drive over -- the food will make its way to you. 如果你需要食物, 不用找人开车送来—— 食物会自己来找你。
rethink:v.重新考虑;再想;n.重新考虑;反思;新想法; summon:v.召唤;召集;鼓起;振作; scooter:n.小型摩托车:(儿童)滑板车: passenger:n.旅客;乘客;白吃饭的人;闲散人员; drone:n.嗡嗡声;持续低音;寄生虫;无人驾驶飞机;v.懒洋洋地说;嗡嗡响
Let's go back to those 20 million a day restaurant deliveries. 咱们先回来谈一天 两千万趟的餐厅外送。
If we could get these deliveries off the road, we could reduce the need for as many as one and a half million cars just in the US. 如果把外送车程从路上除去, 光是在美国,我们对汽车的需求 就会减少高达一百五十万台。
That's twice the size of San Francisco. 那是旧金山大小的两倍。
Now, think of the impact this could have on cities like Delhi , or my birth city of Tehran , where car pollution is killing thousands of people every year. 想想看对于德里这类的城市 会有什么样的影响, 或我出生的城市德黑兰, 在那里,每年有数千人 死于汽车污染。
So how do we get some of these deliveries off the road? 所以,我们要如何 把一些外送从路上除去?
Well, that's the question that my team and I have been obsessed with over the last three years. 过去三年间,我和我的团队 就一直投入在这个问题中。
And the solution is actually one of the building blocks of the city of the future. 这个解决方案其实也是 未来城市的基础之一。
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; Delhi:n.德里(印度城市名); Tehran:n.德黑兰; obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词) solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; building blocks:(儿童玩的)积木;建筑砌块;堆积木;建筑砖块;基石;
We've been creating small, self-driving robots that navigate quiet alleys and sidewalks on a walking pace and have a secured cargo to deliver you food and supplies. 我们创造出了小型自驾式机器人, 能在安静的巷弄 及人行道中找到方向, 用行走的速度行进, 还有安全的货仓 可以运送你的食物和用品。
Now, before I tell you more about the robots, let's do a quick thought experiment. 在我跟大家进一步 说明这种机器人之前, 咱们先快速做一个思想实验。
In your mind, picture a city with thousands of robots. 在你的脑海中,想像一个城市,
Is it this one? 是这个吗?
self-driving:自驾; navigate:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空; alleys:n.小巷,大巷(alley的复数);大街小巷; sidewalks:n.人行道; cargo:n.(船或飞机装载的)货物;
This Hollywood dystopia is what a lot of people expect. 很多人预期的会是这种 好莱坞式的反乌托邦。
But our job is to create a friendly future that's designed for people. 但我们的工作是要 创造出友善的未来,
So instead of making aliens, we set out to create robots that are familiar . 所以,我们不是要做外星人, 而是要创造出让人熟悉的机器人。
Robots that would belong in our communities . 属于我们社区的机器人。
dystopia:n.反面假想国; familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
But we also wanted a little surprise. 但我们也想要有一点惊奇。
Something unexpectedly delightful . 出乎意料但又让人愉快的惊喜。
Think about it. 想想看。
You're walking down the street, and you see your very first robot. 你走在街上, 你第一次遇到机器人。
That's the moment when you're going to decide if this is a future you love or fear. 你会在那一刻决定 是要喜爱还是害怕这个未来。
And with a lot of people having these dystopian ideas, we need to open their minds. 已经有很多人有着 反乌托邦的想法, 我们需要打开他们的心。[03:28]
unexpectedly:adv.出乎意料地,意外地; delightful:adj.可爱的,可喜的;令人愉快的; dystopian:adj.反面假想国的;反面乌托邦的;n.反面乌托邦的鼓吹者;
We want to surprise and delight them, so that we can win them over on first impression . 我们想要给他们惊喜, 这样我们才能在第一印象 就赢得他们的心。
This is what we came up with. 这就是我们想出来的。
It's familiar, but it's also surprising. 它让人感到熟悉,却也有惊奇。
It's just a shopping cart , but it also looks like we crossbred WALL-E with Minions . 它只是一台购物车, 但它也像是瓦力和小小兵的混种。
If you live in San Francisco or Los Angeles, chances are one of these has already delivered your food. 如果你住在旧金山或洛杉矶, 可能已经有这种机器人 幫你做过外送了。[03:50]
impression:n.印象;影响;效果;感想; cart:n.运货马车;手推车;手拉车;v.用车装运;用手提;强行带走;抓走;. crossbred:adj.杂种的;n.杂种;v.杂交繁育(crossbreed的过去式和过去分词); Minions:n.奴才;宠臣(minion的复数);
As soon as we put robots out on the street , we learned some really interesting problems. 我们才刚把机器人送上街头, 就发现非常有趣的问题。
Like, how should robots cross the road? 比如,机器人该如何过马路?
Or how should robots interact with people with visual or mobility impairments ? 或者,机器人要如何和视障或身障人士互动?
We quickly realized that we need to teach our robots how to communicate with people. 我们很快就发现,我们得要教导 我们的机器人怎么和人沟通。
As soon as:一…就; out on the street:无家可归;失业; interact:v.互相影响;互相作用;n.幕间剧;幕间休息; visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; mobility:n.移动性;机动性;[电子]迁移率; impairments:损害;损伤;
People on the sidewalk come from every walk of life , so we needed to create a new language, kind of a universal language so people and robots can understand each other right off the bat . 在人行道上会遇到各行各業的人, 我们得要创造出新的语言, 某种通用语言, 让人和机器人能马上 理解彼此。
Because no one is going to be reading user manuals . 因为没有人会去读使用者手册。
We started with eyes, because eyes are universal. 我们从眼睛着手, 因为眼睛语言是共通的。
They can show where the robot is going or if it's confused . 眼睛能显示机器人要去哪里 或者它感到困惑。
walk of life:n.行业;阶层;社会地位; universal:adj.普遍的;全体的;全世界的;共同的; right off the bat:立刻,立即;马上; manuals:n.手册,指南;说明书(manual的复数); confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
Plus, eyes make robots more human. 此外,眼睛让机器人 看起来更像人。
We also used sounds. 我们也用了声音。
For example, we created this running sound with frequent gaps so that people with visual impairments could locate their robots using the Doppler effect . 比如,我们创造了跑步声, 带有频繁的间断, 让视觉障碍的人可以靠都卜勒效应 知道机器人的所在。
But it turned out these were not enough. 但,结果发现这样还不够。
At intersections , cars would cut in front of our robots. 在十字路口,汽车会直接 从机器人前面切过去。
Drivers were getting confused sometimes, because robots would take too long before they started crossing. 驾驶人有时会很困惑, 因为机器人光要开始过马路 就要花太长的时间。
frequent:adj.频繁的;经常发生的;v.常到(某处); gaps:n.差异,缺口;缝隙(gap的复数形式);v.裂开;使豁裂(gap的第三人称单数形式); locate:v.确定…的准确地点;把…安置在(或建造于);创办于(某地); Doppler effect:n.多普勒效应(即声波、光波等按声源、光源等相对于观察者的传播方向的变化而变化); intersections:n.交集,交叉点(intersection的复数形式);[交]十字路口;
Even ordinary pedestrians were getting confused. 就连一般的路人都会感到困惑。
Sometimes, they couldn't figure out on which side to pass the robots, because robots make a lot of small adjustments to their direction as they move. 有时,他们不知道要从 机器人的哪一侧超过它, 因为机器人在移动过程中 会对方向做很多小修正。
This actually sparked a new idea. 这让我们发想出了新点子。
pedestrians:n.行人(pedestrian的复数); adjustments:n.调整;调节;调整,适应;(adjustment的复数) sparked:v.点燃,发动(spark的过去式,过去分词);鼓舞;
What if we used movement to create a universal language? 如果我们用移动 来创造通用语言呢?
Like, at intersections, robots would gently move forward before they start crossing, to signal to drivers that it's their turn. 比如,在十字路口, 机器人在开始过马路之前, 会先温和地向前移动, 示意驾驶该轮到它过马路了。
If they see someone in a wheelchair , they yield by pointing themselves away from the sidewalk, to signal that they're not going to move. 如果机器人看到坐轮椅的人, 它会将自己的方向从人行道上 转移到旁边,进行礼让, 表示它此时不会移动。
What if:如果…怎么办? gently:adv.轻轻地;温柔地;温和地; wheelchair:n.轮椅; yield:n.产量;产出;利润;v.屈服;让步;放弃;提供;
Some of you may remember this. 有些人可能会记得这件事。
In 2015, Canadian researchers sent a robot hitchhiking across the US. 2015 年,加拿大研究者送了一个机器人去搭便车横越美国。
It didn't get very far. 它没有走很远。
It turns out that robots can also use some social skills. 结果发现,机器人 也需要一些社交技巧。
Like, if they're being tampered with, 比如,如果有人去玩弄它们时。
Carnegie Mellon researchers have shown that small toy robots should play dead, because people feel bad when they think they broke it. 卡内基美隆大学的研究者证明,小型玩具机器人应该要装死, 因为人会误以为自己 把它弄坏了而感到抱歉。[06:05]
hitchhiking:v.搭便车;搭顺风车;(hitchhike的现在分词) tampered:v.干扰;玩弄(tamper的过去分词形式);
But delivery robots aren't toys, they're not small, they are out there in public. 但外送机器人不是玩具, 它们体积不小, 它们身处在公共场合。
We found that with delivery robots, to get people to stop tampering , robots need to show awareness . 我们发现,就外送机器人来说, 若要让路人别再玩弄它, 机器人必须要展现意识。
It's kind of the opposite of playing dead. 这和装死刚好相反。
In this case, robots need to acknowledge the situation to get people to step away. 在我们的情况中,机器人 得要答理被玩弄的情况, 才能让路人退开。
Also, a word of advice. 此外,我有个建议。
If you are a robot and you see small kids, run towards the closest adult. 如果你是机器人且看到了小孩子, 要跑向最近的成人。[06:37]
tampering:v.干预;篡改;(tamper的现在分词) awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道;
It turns out that some kids just love harassing robots. 结果发现,有些孩子 就很喜欢骚扰机器人。
So besides dystopia, 除了反乌托邦之外,
Hollywood also promised us some really cool robots that would run our errands or keep us company. 好莱坞也让我们会 幻想出一些很酷的机器人, 会幫我们跑腿或陪伴我们。
So far, we've really focused on food delivery, but in the future, these robots can do more. 目前,我们的焦点都在食物外送, 但在未来, 这些机器人可以做更多。
harassing:v.侵扰;骚扰;不断攻击(敌人);(harass的现在分词) besides:adv.此外;而且;prep.除…之外; errands:n.差使;差事;(errand的复数)
Like, they could gather excess food and bring it to shelters every night. 比如,它们可以 去收集多余的食物,
Because in America, we waste 30 percent of our food, while 10 percent of our people experience food insecurity . 因为在美国,我们 浪费掉了三成的食物, 但有一成的人 经历粮食不安全的状况。
These robots could be part of the solution. 这些机器人可以成为 部分的解决方案。
excess:n.超过,超额;过度,过量;无节制;adj.额外的,过量的;附加的; insecurity:n.不安全;不牢靠;无把握;心神不定;
Or when we have hundreds of robots running around cities, we could have robots carry emergency medications at all times, just in case someone nearby has an allergic reaction or an asthma attack. 或者,当我们城市里 有数百个机器人跑来跑去时, 我们就能让机器人 随身携带紧急药物, 以免附近有人发生过敏反应 或是气喘发作。
These robots could be on-site within a minute or two, faster than anyone else. 这些机器人可以在一、 两分钟内就赶到现场, 比任何人都快抵达。
And during pandemics , robots can be a key part of our infrastructure . 在疫情期间, 机器人可以成为基础服务 很重要的一部分。
emergency:n.紧急情况;突发事件;非常时刻;adj.紧急的;备用的; medications:n.药;药物;(medication的复数) just in case:以防万一;作为准备; nearby:adj.附近的,邻近的;adv.在附近;prep.在…附近; allergic:adj.对…过敏的;对…极讨厌的; reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用; asthma:n.[内科][中医]哮喘,气喘; on-site:adj.现场的; pandemics:大流行;流行病; infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造;
They can ensure that we can provide our communities with the essential needs even during emergencies . 它们能确保 我们能在急难时将基本需求品 提供给社区。
Let me leave you with one last thought. 让我留给大家最后一个想法。
Today, objects can't get from A to B without human help, because our three-dimensional world is quite complex . 现在,物体要从 A 地到 B 地, 因为我们的三维世界相当复杂。
But new sensors and AI can change that. 但,新的感测器 和人工智慧可以改变这一点。
ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全; essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; emergencies:n.突发事件;紧急情况;(emergency的复数) three-dimensional:adj.三维的;立体的;真实的; complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施; sensors:n.[自]传感器,感应器;感测器(sensor的复数);
In a way, technology is like a baby that has just learned to recognize objects and understand words, and maybe even hold a basic conversation, but it hasn't learned to walk yet. 某种程度上,科技就像个婴儿, 才刚刚学会认识物体、了解话语, 甚至进行简单的对话, 但它还没学会走路。
Now, we are teaching technology how to navigate the three-dimensional world without our help. 现在,我们在教导科技 如何不靠我们的协助 就能在三维世界中找到方向。
We are entering this new era where insentient objects are going to get up and move freely. 我们正要进入这个新纪元, 无生命的物体将会起身,自由地移动。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; insentient:adj.无知觉的;无生命的;无感情的;
And when they do, we've got to make sure they don't look like aliens. 一旦做到了, 我们会确保它们 看起来不会像外星人。
My vision for the future is that when things come to life, they do so with joy. 我对未来的远景是当物体活过来时 是带着喜悦活了过来。
You know, less like the movie " Terminator " 你们知道的,不要像电影 《魔鬼终结者》那样,
and more like "Toy Story." 要比较像《玩具总动员》。
Thank you. 谢谢。
vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; Terminator:n.终结者;终止子;明暗界限;