返回首页

AlexanderWagner_2016X-_什么真正地激励人在企業里诚实行事_

How many companies have you interacted with today? 今天你和多少间公司互动过?
interacted:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的过去分词和过去式)
Well, you got up in the morning, took a shower, washed your hair, used a hair dryer , ate breakfast -- ate cereals , fruit, yogurt, whatever -- had coffee -- tea. 你早上起床, 先去淋浴, 洗洗头发, 用了吹风机, 吃了早餐── 吃的是谷片、水果、优格、等等── 喝了咖啡 或茶。
dryer:n.烘干机;[助剂]干燥剂; cereals:n.[作物]谷类;谷类食品;
You took public transport to come here, or maybe used your private car. 你搭乘大众交通工具到这里, 或是开你自己的车过来。
public transport:n.公共交通;公交车辆;
You interacted with the company that you work for or that you own. 你和你上班的公司或是 你自己开的公司互动。
You interacted with your clients , your customers, and so on and so forth. 你和你的客户互动, 和你的顾客互动, 诸如此类。
clients:n.委托人;当事人;客户机;(client的复数)
I'm pretty sure there are at least seven companies you've interacted with today. 我非常确定
Let me tell you a stunning statistic . 让我告诉各位一个惊人的统计数据。
stunning:adj.惊人的; v.使昏迷; (stun的现在分词) statistic:n.统计学;统计数字;统计资料;(一项)统计数据;adj.统计(上)的;
One out of seven large, public corporations commit fraud every year. 每七间大型的上市公司中 每年会有一间犯下诈欺罪。
corporations:n.[贸易]公司,[经]企业(corporation的复数形式); commit:v.犯(罪等);干(坏事等);[法]提(审);判处; fraud:n.欺骗;骗子;诡计;
This is a US academic study that looks at US companies -- 这是美国的学术研究, 调查的对象是美国的公司──
academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者;
I have no reason to believe that it's different in Europe. 但我认为欧洲公司的情况类似。
This is a study that looks at both detected and undetected fraud using statistical methods. 被发现、未被发现的诈欺 两者都被调查研究, 使用的方法是统计。
undetected:adj.未被发现的;未检测到的; statistical:adj.统计的;统计学的;
This is not petty fraud. 不是小欺小骗。
petty:adj.琐碎的;小气的;小规模的;
These frauds cost the shareholders of these companies, and therefore society, on the order of 380 billion dollars per year. 这些诈欺会造成公司股东的损失, 因此也造成社会的损失, 每年损失约三千八百亿美元。
frauds:[法]欺诈; shareholders:n.[金融]股东,投资者;股民(shareholder的复数);
We can all think of some examples, right? 我们都能想出一些例子,对吗?
The car industry's secrets aren't quite so secret anymore. 汽车产業的秘密不再那么秘密了。
Fraud has become a feature, not a bug , of the financial services industry. 在金融服务業, 而不是错误。 而不是错误。
bug:n.臭虫,小虫;故障;窃听器;v.烦扰,打扰;装窃听器; financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的;
That's not me who's claiming that, that's the president of the American Finance Association who stated that in his presidential address. 并不是我自己在这么说, 是美国财务学会的会长 在他的会长演说当中说的。
claiming:v.声称;要求给予;理应获得;(claim的现在分词) Finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费; Association:n.协会;关联;联想;交往; presidential:adj.总统的;首长的;统辖的;
That's a huge problem if you think about, especially , an economy like Switzerland, which relies so much on the trust put into its financial industry. 如果你仔细想想, 这是个很大的问题, 特别是在像瑞士这样的经济体中, 瑞士非常仰赖人们对其 金融業投入的信任。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; economy:n.经济;节约;理财; relies:信任;
On the other hand , there are six out of seven companies who actually remain honest despite all temptations to start engaging in fraud. 另一方面, 七间中的六间事实上维持着诚信, 它们抗拒了各种引诱 它们进行诈欺的诱惑。
On the other hand:另一方面; despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; temptations:n.诱惑物;引诱物(temptation复数); engaging:adj.有趣的; v.吸引住(注意力、兴趣); (engage的现在分词)
There are whistle-blowers like Michael Woodford, who blew the whistle on Olympus . 有像迈克尔伍德福特这样的告密者, 他告了奥林巴斯的密。
whistle-blowers:n.弊端揭发人;告密者(whistle-blower的复数); Olympus:n.奥林匹斯山(诸神的住所);天堂,天国;
These whistle-blowers risk their careers , their friendships, to bring out the truth about their companies. 这些告密者赌上他们的职涯 和友情, 揭露他们公司的真相。
careers:n.职业(career的复数);事业;职业生涯;v.全速前进(career的三单形式); bring out:出版,生产;使显示;说出;
There are journalists like Anna Politkovskaya who risk even their lives to report human rights violations . 有像安娜波利特科夫 斯卡娅这样的记者, 冒着生命危险去报导 违反人权的事件。
journalists:n.新闻记者(journalist的复数); violations:n.违反,妨碍;违规或不雅行为(violation的复数形式);
She got killed -- every year, around 100 journalists get killed because of their conviction to bring out the truth. 后来她被杀了── 每年, 有大约一百名记者 因为坚定地想要揭露真相而被杀害。
conviction:n.判罪;定罪;坚定的看法(或信念);坚信;肯定;
So in my talk today, 在今天这场演说,
I want to share with you some insights I've obtained and learned in the last 10 years of conducting research in this. 我想和各位分享的是我过去十年间 在研究这个主题时 所学到的一些洞见。
insights:n.洞察力;眼力;深刻见解(insight的复数); obtained:v.获得(obtain的过去分词); conducting:v.组织;安排;实施;指挥;引导;导游(conduct的现在分词)
I'm a researcher, a scientist working with economists, financial economists, ethicists , neuroscientists , lawyers and others trying to understand what makes humans tick, 我是个研究者、科学家, 金融经济学家、 伦理学家、神经科学家、 律师,以及其他的人。 我尝试要了解是什么在驱使人类,
ethicists:n.伦理学家; neuroscientists:n.神经系统科学家;
and how can we address this issue of fraud in corporations and therefore contribute to the improvement of the world. 以及我们如何处理 企業内的诈欺议题, 因而对改善世界贡献一份心力。
issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; contribute to:有助于;捐献; improvement:n.改进,改善;
I want to start by sharing with you two very distinct visions of how people behave . 一开始,我想分享两个 非常不同的看法, 对于人的行为的看法。
distinct:adj.明显的;独特的;清楚的;有区别的; visions:n.愿景; v.想像; behave:v.表现;(机器等)运转;举止端正;(事物)起某种作用;
First, meet Adam Smith, founding father of modern economics. 首先,来见见亚当史密斯, 现代经济学之父。
founding father:n.(运动、机构或思想的)创建人;
His basic idea was that if everybody behaves in their own self-interests , that's good for everybody in the end. 他的基本想法是: 如果每个人都依自身利益而行, 最终,那对每个人而言都是好的。
behaves:v.表现;表现得体;有礼貌;(behave的第三人称单数) self-interests:n.私利;利己主义;
Self-interest isn't a narrowly defined concept just for your immediate utility . 自身利益不是一个 定义很狭隘的观念, 不是只为了立即的功利。
narrowly:adv.仔细地;勉强地;狭窄地;严密地; defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确; utility:n.公用事业;实用;实用程序;adj.多用途的;多效用的;
It has a long-run implication . 它有着长期的意涵。
long-run:adj.长远的;长期;长跑;长时间操作; implication:n.含意;可能的影响(或作用、结果);暗指;(被)牵连;
Let's think about that. 我们来想想这一点。
Think about this dog here. 想想图上的这只狗。
That might be us. 牠可能就是我们。
There's this temptation -- 图上有着诱惑──
I apologize to all vegetarians , but -- 我要向所有的素食者道歉,但──
vegetarians:n.素食者;吃素的人;(vegetarian的复数)
(Laughter) (笑声)
Dogs do like the bratwurst . 狗确实喜欢腊肠。
bratwurst:n.德国式小香肠;腊肠;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Now, the straight-up , self-interested move here is to go for that. 这里最直接、最以 自身利益为主的做法, 就是去取得腊肠。
straight-up:直率地;真实地;(酒)不加冰块的; self-interested:adj.自私的;利己主义的;
So my friend Adam here might jump up, get the sausage and thereby ruin all this beautiful tableware . 所以我的朋友亚当,可能会跳上去, 取得腊肠,因而把 所有的美丽餐具都给毁了。
sausage:香肠,腊肠, thereby:adv.从而,因此;在那附近;在那方面; ruin:n.废墟;毁坏;灭亡;v.毁灭;使破产; tableware:n.餐具;
But that's not what Adam Smith meant. 但那并不是亚当史密斯的意思。
He didn't mean disregard all consequences -- to the contrary . 他并不是说要不顾一切的后果── 其实相反。
disregard:vt.忽视;不理;漠视;不顾;n.忽视;不尊重; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数); to the contrary:相反;
He would have thought, well, there may be negative consequences, for example, the owner might be angry with the dog and the dog, anticipating that, might not behave in this way. 他会想, 也许会有负面的后果, 比如, 主人可能会对狗发怒, 而狗能预期到这一点, 就不会做出这个行为。
negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; anticipating:v.预料;预期;预见;期盼;期望;(anticipate的现在分词)
That might be us, weighing the benefits and costs of our actions. 那可能就是我们, 权衡我们每个行动的利益和成本。
How does that play out? 那会产生什么结果?
Well, many of you, I'm sure, have in your companies, especially if it's a large company, a code of conduct. 我相信,在座许多人, 在你们的公司里, 特别是大公司里, 会有「行为准则」。
And then if you behave according to that code of conduct, that improves your chances of getting a bonus payment . 如果你根据行为准则来做事, 就能让你比较有机会得到奖金。
according to:根据,据说; improves:v.改进;改善;(improve的第三人称单数) payment:n.付款;支付;收款;款项;报答;
And on the other hand, if you disregard it, then there are higher chances of not getting your bonus or its being diminished . 另一方面,如果你漠视它, 就比较有可能得不到奖金, 或是奖金会缩水。
diminished:adj.减少的; v.减少; (diminish的过去式和过去分词)
In other words, this is a very economic motivation of trying to get people to be more honest, or more aligned with the corporation's principles . 换言之, 这是个非常经济的动机, 试图让人们更诚实, 或是更符合公司的原则。
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; motivation:n.动机;积极性;推动; aligned:adj.对齐的;均衡的;v.结盟(align的过去式);使成一直线; principles:n.原则;主义;本质;政策;(principle的复数)
Similarly , reputation is a very powerful economic force, right? 同样地,名声也是种非常 强大的经济力量,对吧?
Similarly:adv.同样地;类似于;
We try to build a reputation, maybe for being honest, because then people trust us more in the future. 我们试图建立名声, 也许是诚实的名声, 因为这样做,人们将来会更信任我们。
Right? 对吗?
Adam Smith talked about the baker who's not producing good bread out of his benevolence for those people who consume the bread, but because he wants to sell more future bread. 亚当史密斯谈到一个面包师傅, 他为那些消费者制作好的面包, 并不是出于善心, 而是因为他想要在未来 能卖出更多面包。
baker:n.面包(糕饼)师傅;面包店老板; benevolence:n.仁慈;善行; consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁;
In my research, we find, for example, at the University of Zurich, that Swiss banks who get caught up in media , and in the context , for example, of tax evasion , of tax fraud, have bad media coverage . 在我的研究中,我们发现,比如, 在苏黎世大学, 瑞士银行被卷入媒体当中, 例如在逃税或税务诈欺的情况下, 有很糟的媒体报导。
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉; tax evasion:n.偷税;漏税;(非法)逃税; coverage:n.覆盖,覆盖范围;
They lose net new money in the future and therefore make lower profits . 他们就会在未来失去净新增资金, 因此赚的利润就会减少。
profits:n.利润; v.获益; (profit的第三人称单数和复数)
That's a very powerful reputational force. 那是非常强大的名声力量。
reputational:信誉的;声誉的;
Benefits and costs. 利益和成本。
Here's another viewpoint of the world. 世界上有另一种观点。
viewpoint:n.观点;角度;看法;
Meet Immanuel Kant, 18th-century German philosopher superstar. 来见见伊曼努尔康德, 十八世纪的明星德国哲学家。
philosopher:n.哲学家;深思的人;善于思考的人;
He developed this notion that independent of the consequences, some actions are just right and some are just wrong. 他发展出了这个概念: 和结果无关, 有些行为就是对的, 有些就是错的。
notion:n.观念;信念;理解; independent of:不依赖…的;不受…支配的;
It's just wrong to lie, for example. 比如,说谎就是错的。
So, meet my friend Immanuel here. 所以,来见见我的朋友伊曼努尔。
He knows that the sausage is very tasty , but he's going to turn away because he's a good dog. 牠知道香肠非常可口, 但牠打算调头走开, 因为牠是条好狗。
tasty:美味的
He knows it's wrong to jump up and risk ruining all this beautiful tableware. 牠知道跳上去是错的, 有可能会打破所有这些漂亮的餐具。
ruining:v.毁坏;破坏;毁灭;(ruin的现在分词)
If you believe that people are motivated like that, then all the stuff about incentives , all the stuff about code of conduct and bonus systems and so on, doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 如果你相信人们会被 这样的动机驱使, 那么所有关于奖励的一切, 那么所有关于行为准则、 奖金制度等等的一切, 就不是很有道理了。
motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: incentives:n.激励;奖励;诱因(incentive的复数形式);奖励措施;
People are motivated by different values perhaps. 人们被不同的价值观驱使,也许吧。
So, what are people actually motivated by? 所以人们的动机到底是什么?
These two gentlemen here have perfect hairdos , but they give us very different views of the world. 这里的两位先生有着完美的发型, 但他们给我们非常不同的世界观。
hairdos:n.发型(hairdo的复数形式);
What do we do with this? 对此,我们该怎么办?
Well, I'm an economist and we conduct so-called experiments to address this issue. 嗯,我是经济学家, 而我们会进行所谓的实验, 来处理这个议题。
so-called:adj.所谓的;号称的;
We strip away facts which are confusing in reality. 我们会剥除在现实中让我们困惑的事实,
strip:n.带; v.夺; adj.脱衣舞的; confusing:adj.令人困惑; v.使糊涂; (confuse的现在分词)
Reality is so rich, there is so much going on, it's almost impossible to know what drives people's behavior really. 现实非常的丰富, 有太多事情在发生, 几乎不可能知道 什么真正驱动人类的行为。
So let's do a little experiment together. 所以,让我们一起来做个小实验。
Imagine the following situation. 想像下面的情境。
You're in a room alone, not like here. 你单独在一间房间中, 不像这里这么多人。
There's a five-franc coin like the one I'm holding up right now in front of you. 有一个五法郎硬币, 就像我手上的这个, 硬币就在你面前。
holding up:举起;阻挡;拦截(holdup的现在分词形式);
Here are your instructions: toss the coin four times, and then on a computer terminal in front of you, enter the number of times tails came up. 你得到的指示是: 掷硬币四次, 接着,在你面前的电脑终端机上, 输入硬币出现反面的次数。
toss:v.扔,抛,掷;甩(使)摇摆,挥动,颠簸;摇匀;n.掷硬币决定;向上甩头;投掷 terminal:n.终端;航站楼;终端机;航空终点站;adj.晚期的;不治的;致命的;患绝症的;
This is the situation. 情境就是这样。
Here's the rub . 难处在这裏:
rub:n.擦;抹;搓;揉;v.擦;磨;搓;(使)相互磨擦;
For every time that you announce that you had a tails throw, you get paid five francs. 每次你宣布你掷出了反面, 你就会得到五法郎。
So if you say I had two tails throws, you get paid 10 francs. 所以如果你说我掷出两次反面, 你就会得十法郎。
If you say you had zero, you get paid zero francs. 如果你说你没掷出反面, 你就会得到零法郎。
If you say, "I had four tails throws," 如果你说:「我掷出四次反面」,
then you get paid 20 francs. 你就会得到二十法郎。
It's anonymous, nobody's watching what you're doing, and you get paid that money anonymously . 这是匿名的, 没有人在看你做, 付钱给你时也是匿名的。
anonymously:adv.不具名地;化名地;
I've got two questions for you. 我要问各位两个问题。
(Laughter) (笑声)
You know what's coming now, right? 你们知道接下来是什么吧?
First, how would you behave in that situation? 第一,在这个情境,你会怎么做?
The second, look to your left and look to your right -- 第二,看看你的左边, 看看你的右边──
(Laughter) (笑声)
and think about how the person sitting next to you might behave in that situation. 想想坐在你旁边的人 在这情境可能会怎么做。
We did this experiment for real. 我们真做了这个实验。
We did it at the Manifesta art exhibition that took place here in Zurich recently , not with students in the lab at the university but with the real population, like you guys. 我们是在最近苏黎世这里举行的 Manifesta 艺术展览上做的, 不是在大学实验室里对学生做的, 对象是真正的一般大众, 就像在座各位。
recently:adv.最近;新近;
First, a quick reminder of stats . 首先,快速提醒大家一下统计数字,
stats:n.统计数据;统计学;
If I throw the coin four times and it's a fair coin, then the probability that it comes up four times tails is 6.25 percent. 如果你掷硬币四次, 且它是个公平的硬币, 四次都是反面的机率 是 6.25%。
probability:n.可能性;机率;[数]或然率;
And I hope you can intuitively see that the probability that all four of them are tails is much lower than if two of them are tails, right? 希望你们用直觉就能看出, 四次都是反面的机率
intuitively:adv.直观地;直觉地;
Here are the specific numbers. 这里是明确的数据。
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药;
Here's what happened. 而结果如下。
People did this experiment for real. 人们真的做了这个实验。
Around 30 to 35 percent of people said, "Well, I had four tails throws." 大约 30%~35% 的人说: 「嗯,我掷出四次反面。」
That's extremely unlikely . 那是极度不可能的。
extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; unlikely:adj.不大可能发生的;非心目中的;非想象的;难以相信的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
But the really amazing thing here, perhaps to an economist, is there are around 65 percent of people who did not say I had four tails throws, even though in that situation, nobody's watching you, the only consequence that's in place is you get more money if you say four than less. 但,真正惊人的是, 也许对经济学家而言,惊人的是: 大约 65% 的人 没说他们掷出四次反面, 即使在那个情境中, 没有人在看你, 唯一会发生的后果是: 假如你说四次而不是少于四次, 得的钱就会比较多;
You leave 20 francs on the table by announcing zero. 如果你宣称零次,就放弃了二十法郎。
I don't know whether the other people all were honest or whether they also said a little bit higher or lower than what they did because it's anonymous. 我不知道其他人是否都诚实, 或是他们会把数字向上或向下调整, 因为这是匿名的。
We only observed the distribution . 我们只是观察数据分布。
observed:adj.观察的;观测的;v.观察;遵守;注意到(observe的过去分词形式); distribution:n.分布;分配;分发;分销;
But what I can tell you -- and here's another coin toss. 但我可以告诉各位── 这是另一次掷硬币结果。
There you go, it's tails. 来了,是反面。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Don't check, OK? 别来确认,好吗?
(Laughter) (笑声)
What I can tell you is that not everybody behaved like Adam Smith would have predicted . 我能告诉你们的是, 并非每个人的行为 都如亚当史密斯所预测。
behaved:v.表现;表现得体;有礼貌;(behave的过去分词和过去式) predicted:v.预言;预告;预报;(predict的过去分词和过去式)
So what does that leave us with? 所以这告诉我们什么?
Well, it seems people are motivated by certain intrinsic values and in our research, we look at this. 嗯,似乎人们会被某种 内在的价值观所驱使, 在研究中,我们调查了这点。
intrinsic:adj.本质的,固有的;
We look at the idea that people have so-called protected values. 我们探讨了人会有所谓的 「被保护的价值观」的这个想法。
A protected value isn't just any value. 被保护的价值观并非任何价值观。
A protected value is a value where you're willing to pay a price to uphold that value. 被保护的价值观是 你愿意付出一个代价 来维持的价值。
uphold:v.支撑;鼓励;赞成;举起;
You're willing to pay a price to withstand the temptation to give in. 你愿意付出一个代价来 对抗要你屈服的诱惑。
withstand:vt.抵挡;禁得起;反抗;vi.反抗;
And the consequence is you feel better if you earn money in a way that's consistent with your values. 而结果就是,如果你赚到钱的方式 和你的价值观是一致的, 你的感觉会比较好。
consistent:adj.始终如一的,一致的;坚持的;
Let me show you this again in the metaphor of our beloved dog here. 让我再次用我们都爱的 狗狗比喻来说明。
metaphor:n.暗喻,隐喻;比喻说法; beloved:adj.心爱的;挚爱的;n.心爱的人;亲爱的教友;
If we succeed in getting the sausage without violating our values, then the sausage tastes better. 如果我们不违反价值观 而成功地取得香肠, 那么香肠尝起来的味道比较好。
violating:v.违背,违反(violate的现在分词);
That's what our research shows. 那就是我们的研究发现。
If, on the other hand, we do so -- if we get the sausage and in doing so we actually violate values, we value the sausage less. 另一方面, 若我们这样做── 如果我们取得香肠, 用的是违反价值观的方式, 我们也会比较不珍视这香肠。
violate:v.违反,违背(法律、协议等);侵犯(隐私等);亵渎;
Quantitatively , that's quite powerful. 就量化而言,相当强而有力。
Quantitatively:adv.数量上;分量上;
We can measure these protected values, for example, by a survey measure. 我们能够测量这些被保护的价值观, 比如, 可以用问卷调查来测量。
survey:n.调查;测量;审视;纵览;vt.调查;勘测;俯瞰;vi.测量土地;
Simple, nine-item survey that's quite predictive in these experiments. 简单的九题问卷调查
predictive:adj.预言性的;成为前兆的;
If you think about the average of the population and then there's a distribution around it -- people are different, we all are different. 如果考量人数平均值, 平均值的周边会呈现一种分布── 人各不相同,我们都不一样。
People who have a set of protected values that's one standard deviation above the average, they discount money they receive by lying by about 25 percent. 持有着一组保护价值观 比平均值高出一个标准差的那些人, 透过说谎得到的金钱价值 大约会被他们打个 75 折。
standard deviation:n.标准差;标准偏差; discount:n.折扣;vt.低估;打折扣;打折出售
That means a dollar received when lying is worth to them only 75 cents without any incentives you put in place for them to behave honestly. 也就是说,说谎得到的一块钱, 和诚实得到的一块钱相比, 只值 75 分钱而已。
It's their intrinsic motivation. 那是他们的内在动机。
By the way , I'm not a moral authority . 顺便一提,我并非道德权威。
By the way:顺便说一下; moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的; authority:n.权威;权力;当局;
I'm not saying I have all these beautiful values, right? 我并不是说我有所有这些 美好的价值观。
But I'm interested in how people behave and how we can leverage that richness in human nature to actually improve the workings of our organizations . 但我感兴趣的是人的行为, 以及如何让人类本性中的 丰富特性能够发挥功效, 来实际改善在组织内的工作。
leverage:n.影响力;杠杆作用;杠杆效力;v.举债经营;借贷收购; richness:n.丰富;富裕;肥沃;华美; human nature:n.人性; workings:n.作用;工作方式;操作(working的复数); organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
So there are two very, very different visions here. 所以,这里有两种非常不同的观点。
On the one hand , you can appeal to benefits and costs and try to get people to behave according to them. 一方面, 你可以诉诸利益和成本, 尝试让人们依利益和成本而行。
On the one hand:一方面; appeal:n.上诉;吸引力;申诉;魅力;v.上诉;呼吁;申诉;恳求;
On the other hand, you can select people who have the values and the desirable characteristics , of course -- competencies that go in line with your organization. 另一方面, 当然你可以筛选具有价值观 和具有你所想要之特质的人── 能够配合你的组织。
desirable:adj.令人满意的;值得要的;n.合意的人或事物; characteristics:n.特征;特点;品质;(characteristic的复数) competencies:n.能力(competency的复数);胜任特征;职业能力素质; in line with:符合;与…一致;
I do not yet know where these protected values really come from. 我还不知道
Is it nurture or is it nature? 是后天养成还是天性?
nurture:v.养育;培养;养护;支持;
What I can tell you is that the distribution looks pretty similar for men and women. 但我能告诉各位, 男性和女性的分布很类似。
It looks pretty similar for those who had studied economics or those who had studied psychology . 学经济的人和学心理学的人, 他们的分布看起来很相似。
psychology:n.心理学;心理状态;
It looks even pretty similar around different age categories among adults. 不同年龄层的成人 他们的分布还更相似。
categories:n.(人或事物的)类别,种类(category的复数)
But I don't know yet how this develops over a lifetime. 但我还不知道一辈子的进展会怎样。
That will be the subject of future research. 那将会是未来的研究主题。
The idea I want to leave you with is it's all right to appeal to incentives. 我想留给各位的想法是, 被奖励所吸引是没关系的。
I'm an economist; 我是经济学家;
I certainly believe in the fact that incentives work. 我肯定相信奖励是有效的。
But do think about selecting the right people rather than having people and then putting incentives in place. 但你一定要考虑筛选对的人, 而不只是先把人招来,再提供奖励。
Selecting the right people with the right values may go a long way to saving a lot of trouble and a lot of money in your organizations. 筛选对的、有正确价值观的人, 可成功地为你的组织 和很多金钱。
In other words, it will pay off to put people first. 换言之, 把「人」放在首位必有好收获。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)